PDA

View Full Version : The Last Of Us campaign length 12-15hrs?

talkingconch
05-25-2013, 04:15 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/16/the-last-of-us-single-player-campaigns-length-revealed

Not really worth the $60 initially, i would probably wait until it hits $40 or so. Not sure why people believe that is a good standard time for games these days. Looks great though

Rake2204
05-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah, 12-16 seems awfully short. I have a tough time convincing myself to put that kind of money down on a game with may be completed in a week.

The Macho Man
05-25-2013, 01:28 PM
I'd prefer 12-15 hours of quality content than a bunch of filler

Qwyjibo
05-25-2013, 04:00 PM
This will probably be like every game in the God of War series for me. I'll pick it up when it's $20. $30 at most.

Scholar
05-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Damn, now I want to cancel my order from GameStop. I think I might do that actually. 12-15 hrs for me would make it so that I finish the game within 3-4 days.

This will probably be like every game in the God of War series for me.

This. I just started playing the God of War saga recently. It came with part 1, 2, 3 & the two games they made for the PSP. I did play the first two back in my PS2 days, but that was years ago and the games are now fresh to me again.

Rose
05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
I actually cancelled my preorder over this.

Thorpesaurous
05-25-2013, 11:08 PM
I can live with that. Particularly if it's like Uncharted, where I can up the difficulty and feel compelled to run through it a second and maybe a third time, finding secrets and doing a little trophy chasing.

I'd take that over the 75 hours of Skyrim that I burnt out on after chasing a book down in a cave for the 100th time. Or if a third of those hours is spent comparing cloak spell specifications to decide what to wear.

The Uncharteds have been a little short. As was the new Tomb Raider, and I loved those.

But to each their own. As an adult who works 50-60 hours a week, and has other things he's committed too as well, I can appreciate being able to get through a well made game and well written story, without having to put in so much time that it feels like work.

The Macho Man
05-26-2013, 04:53 AM
I actually cancelled my preorder over this.

Cheap jew bastard

macmac
05-26-2013, 11:23 AM
lol you people are funny. A movie is on average under 2hrs but you will pay ten dollars to watch it in the theaters or 20 to own it on blu ray. But if a game gives you 6-7 times more entertainment, that is even more engrossing and involves more of your senses, then it's not worth it?

Tetris can be played for thousands of hours. But I would take 12hrs of Last of US over 12hrs of Tetris. It's not just how much time of your life you can waste, it's the attention to detail, the graphics, the AI, the overall atmosphere, storyline, etc.

Personally, I prefer a shorter game, because I dont have time to play games ad nauseum, and once I take a lengthy period of time away from a game at the end stages then I will probably never go back to it again.

20hrs is the perfect time to put into a story driven game.

rhythmic
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Are you guys seriously complaining about the length?
Uncharted 2/3 was less lenghty then that and it's my favorite game ever.

TLOU is a strategic survivor (horror), so placing a a set time range is stupid. If you try to earn a plat for this game, I promise you it will take you over 25 hours easy to complete. U2 took me roughly 20 hours to earn a plat. This game (from the early previews) sounds incredible: sound, atmosphere, graphics, characterization, gameplay, set-pieces are all top notch. Just like basically every other ND game.

Them & Rockstar can have my money any time; they've earned my trust a long time ago.

Rake2204
05-27-2013, 01:16 PM
lol you people are funny. A movie is on average under 2hrs but you will pay ten dollars to watch it in the theaters or 20 to own it on blu ray. But if a game gives you 6-7 times more entertainment, that is even more engrossing and involves more of your senses, then it's not worth it?

Tetris can be played for thousands of hours. But I would take 12hrs of Last of US over 12hrs of Tetris. It's not just how much time of your life you can waste, it's the attention to detail, the graphics, the AI, the overall atmosphere, storyline, etc.

Personally, I prefer a shorter game, because I dont have time to play games ad nauseum, and once I take a lengthy period of time away from a game at the end stages then I will probably never go back to it again.

20hrs is the perfect time to put into a story driven game.Yeah, it's funny how it works. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to games that have an unusual amount of replayibility. I don't buy a ton of games but when I do, they tend to be either sports games, racing games, or Rockstar games (GTA or RDR) so with all the gameplay hours those genres provide, I tend to establish that as worthy value for what I paid.

That said, I borrowed BioShock Infinite and had I known I was going to like it as much as I did, I probably would have bought it myself, even with the comparatively short gameplay.

rhythmic
05-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it's funny how it works. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to games that have an unusual amount of replayibility. I don't buy a ton of games but when I do, they tend to be either sports games, racing games, or Rockstar games (GTA or RDR) so with all the gameplay hours those genres provide, I tend to establish that as worthy value for what I paid.

That said, I borrowed BioShock Infinite and had I known I was going to like it as much as I did, I probably would have bought it myself, even with the comparatively short gameplay.

Campaign length and replayability are TWO different things bro.
I think the Last of Us will have a ton of replayability value because it's a strategy based surviving game. There will literally be dozens of ways you can approach different scenarios.

It will have more replayability then Uncharted; a AAA title.
I'd be shocked if this game doesn't receive an overall score of at least 92% (which will make it the highest rated game this year so far).

Rake2204
05-28-2013, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

rhythmic
05-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Good call. As I was writing that, I was thinking of the difference between Bioshock Infinite's campaign and, say, Call of Duty's. I'm actually not a big Call of Duty multiplayer guy so I tended to play a modestly enjoyable single player campaign and called it good (often via rental). And when that campaign was done, unless I went back through on a different difficulty, it was done.

On the flip side, you're right, there's other campaigns (Inifinite was one) that lasted 15-20 hours, but offered enough variation to allow a second playthrough to either gain a better understanding or take a different route (building up different weapons and vigors). So even with what appears to be a short number of hours, things can actually run a bit deeper. Good call there.

Same here, I only play COD games for their campaigns. I don't have time for online and don't particularly enjoy it.

I have beaten most COD games at least 6-7 times by now; I really enjoy them, I don't know why. I wish they introduced a statistical tracker for each campaign to see how good of a soldier you are. Similar to what Uncharted and GTA do; it adds to the value significantly for me.

Rose
05-28-2013, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

Mr. I'm So Rad
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Rose we can just wait until the price drop then. Then we can all get it.

nightprowler10
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
40? sure. Especially since games are dropping that low about 6 weeks after release.
This. I'm not sure how many games I'll be getting for the full 60 anymore.

The Macho Man
05-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Rose do you like Skyrim? It's really gay but you can play it for hundreds of hours.

You better not be this stingy with the pool house.

rhythmic
05-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Replay ability varies for me. Sometimes I'll replay a game dozens of times (Mass effect 1&2) or sometimes just once: Uncharted I did just for one-two chapters to see where I missed the treasure.

IMO the horror story game only works once, and I like to replay games to see what I missed.

With that said "15-20 hours" probably means beat the game in 12. Therefore not a real $60 purchase.

40? sure. Especially since games are dropping that low about 6 weeks after release.

Okay but that's completely circumstancial.
I hope you're not implying that you trade in quantatity over substance. Would you rather play 60 hours of mediocrity or 12 hours of excitement?
12-15 hours is actually a pretty long "story-mode", most don't last this long. None of previous Naughty Dog titles were ever this long.

You need to read some previews about the game; it's highly explorational. You'll have to craft your own weapons, strategize your route/combat etc.

You say 15-20 hours = about 12; I think it's the other way around for this game. You can turn those 12-15 hours into 20+ easily...

Have you done any research about this game?

talkingconch
05-28-2013, 01:21 PM

20hrs is the perfect time to put into a story driven game.

I still have yet to understand why people are using this analogy.

MOVIES =/= GAMES

You WILL NOT sit through a MOVIE for more than 3-4 HOURS. your brain will start to shut down and it will begin to drag...

I'm pretty sure you can play a game 3-4 hrs in a day without having it drag, if the game is interesting. Is that really all you want? To play a 12 hour game for 3 days and finish it for $60?

you can watch a movie every day (1-2hrs) and pay $10~ every time. for 6 days you would spend $60. Thats more days of entertainment than the video game.

and lol @ some people saying they will take there ''time''. Why should you have to? If you want to wander from the path go ahead but you shouldn't HAVE TO to get more play time out of the game if you already knew this game is gonna be long.

NattyPButter
05-28-2013, 01:31 PM
If I had a PS3 I would get this game at $60 because I know it would take me longer to beat. I don't sit and play hours straight and I also explore with all my games. A 15hr game becomes a lot longer.

Rose
05-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Rose do you like Skyrim? It's really gay but you can play it for hundreds of hours.

You better not be this stingy with the pool house.
No. I hate ANYTHING bethesda.

Rad=awesome.

Rose
05-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Okay but that's completely circumstancial.
I hope you're not implying that you trade in quantatity over substance. Would you rather play 60 hours of mediocrity or 12 hours of excitement?
12-15 hours is actually a pretty long "story-mode", most don't last this long. None of previous Naughty Dog titles were ever this long.

You need to read some previews about the game; it's highly explorational. You'll have to craft your own weapons, strategize your route/combat etc.

You say 15-20 hours = about 12; I think it's the other way around for this game. You can turn those 12-15 hours into 20+ easily...

Have you done any research about this game?
AC games are generally around 20-30(sometimes more) If you go for at least 90%
Mass Effect games take at least 20+ if you do half the sidequests.
RDR I'm not even sure how long that takes.:lol GTA is somewhat the same in that regard.
Demon's soul is a good what 30? 40? maybe more.

etc etc. Point being 12-15 is fairly weak for a top tier game.

And that's just off the top of my head three franchises with vastly longer gameplay. 15 hours=not worth it. I was HIGHLY excited about this game. I still am, but I'm sorry "12-15" is not worth it at this stage of the console.

Hell I think I spent about 13 or so on Tomb Raider getting 96% completion.

The Macho Man
05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
No. I hate ANYTHING bethesda.

Rad=awesome.

I was liking Fallout but then I hit a glitch and couldn't progress and my last save was a couple hours back and I didn't feel like replaying. But skyrim is super gay. Mostly because fantasy is super gay. Dragons:kobe:

Jailblazers7
05-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Half the reason I want to get this game is to explore an apocalyptic northeast United States. Pittsburgh is a location so I'm definitely interested to see how my hometown is built.

I definitely think this game will be more time consuming than something like Uncharted because it won't be as linear in its game play.

Mr. I'm So Rad
05-28-2013, 11:23 PM
I was liking Fallout but then I hit a glitch and couldn't progress and my last save was a couple hours back and I didn't feel like replaying. But skyrim is super gay. Mostly because fantasy is super gay. Dragons:kobe:

Fantasy >> reality

konex
06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
12-15 is fine by me. Take my money, Naughty Dog!

PS: If you preorder at Best Buy, you get a $20 gift certificate. Problem soloved..

BankShot
06-01-2013, 06:40 PM
PS: If you preorder at Best Buy, you get a $20 gift certificate. Problem soloved..

..... as long as you already paid the $15 for the gamer subscription through Best Buy. Of course I'm a member since after pre-ordering 3 games you basically get one free

BankShot
06-01-2013, 06:42 PM
As per the OP..... a 12-15 story will take me at least 40 hours, spread over maybe 3-4 hours per week max will last me a couple months.

Just enough time until GTA V

Dictator
06-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Skyrim is atleast a top 5 ps3 game. The game was almost perfect.

The Macho Man
06-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Skyrim is atleast a top 5 ps3 game. The game was almost perfect.

Besides being boring and gay with a dumb story and shitty combat it was okay

Dragons:kobe:

macmac
06-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I still have yet to understand why people are using this analogy.

MOVIES =/= GAMES

You WILL NOT sit through a MOVIE for more than 3-4 HOURS. your brain will start to shut down and it will begin to drag...

I'm pretty sure you can play a game 3-4 hrs in a day without having it drag, if the game is interesting. Is that really all you want? To play a 12 hour game for 3 days and finish it for $60?

you can watch a movie every day (1-2hrs) and pay $10~ every time. for 6 days you would spend $60. Thats more days of entertainment than the video game.

and lol @ some people saying they will take there ''time''. Why should you have to? If you want to wander from the path go ahead but you shouldn't HAVE TO to get more play time out of the game if you already knew this game is gonna be long.

It's fun to compare numbers that you don't understand. Owning a new movie does not cost $10, especially if you're talking blu ray. By using your logic, I can rent the game for $10 for the whole week and it's way cheaper than the movies.

And now you're using days of entertainment? And how much you can watch in one sitting? Lol. I have a hard time playing games for more than 3-4hrs at a time. And I can watch movies back to back on some days. Lol so you make absolutely zero sense.

At the end of day, all I'm saying is 15hrs of solid entertainment is worth $60. You're just comparing it to other lengthy games, when I feel like you should compare it to all forms of entertainment. Because a game with an immense amount of detail and story has about as much in common with Tetris as it has with the next summer blockbuster.

talkingconch
06-04-2013, 02:10 AM
It's fun to compare numbers that you don't understand. Owning a new movie does not cost $10, especially if you're talking blu ray. By using your logic, I can rent the game for $10 for the whole week and it's way cheaper than the movies.

And now you're using days of entertainment? And how much you can watch in one sitting? Lol. I have a hard time playing games for more than 3-4hrs at a time. And I can watch movies back to back on some days. Lol so you make absolutely zero sense.

At the end of day, all I'm saying is 15hrs of solid entertainment is worth $60. You're just comparing it to other lengthy games, when I feel like you should compare it to all forms of entertainment. Because a game with an immense amount of detail and story has about as much in common with Tetris as it has with the next summer blockbuster.

Never mentioned owning a movie in my post. You were talking about in theaters, so i responded

LJJ
06-04-2013, 04:20 AM
If Naughty Dog is talking about 12-15 hours, think more like 10 hours. More the length of the rest of their games. Why would they undersell the content of their game beforehand?

It's 10 hours, and for those ten hours you get a polished and dense single player experience. If you are approaching your videogame purchase mostly as mins/price, you should probably buy different types of games.

rhythmic
06-04-2013, 11:43 AM
First 3 reviews are in:

"The Last of Us is two-for-two when it comes to perfect scores. We're still a few days from Sony lifting the embargo on global reviews for the highly anticipated game from Naughty Dog, but a leaked review and some early copies of the OPM UK magazine have both indicated The Last of Us is best game of this generation -- or possibly ever.

According to multiple sources who received the latest issue of OPM UK, the magazine scored The Last of Us a perfect 10 out of 10.

"A work of art in which amazing sights and sounds fuel an emotionally draining, constantly compelling end of days adventure. This is Naughty Dog pushing the PS3 to its absolute limit. Over to you PS4," the review states (via a Gamespot user).

The Last of Us isn't due out until June 14th, but global reviews are set to go live this week. If you remain a bit skeptical of these early reviews, I suggest you go out and buy God of War: Ascension so that you may check out the demo that's included with it and see for yourself."

"As days are passing more and more The Last of Us review score are arriving. Like others, Edge Magazine also awarded The Last of Us a perfect score of 10/10. This is the 15th game in Edge Magazine history to receive a perfect review score.

The first review of The Last of Us came from Empire Magazine (overall score 5/5). The publication called The Last of Us "a masterpiece" from Naughty Dog. Next review came from OPM, which again awaraded a perfect score of 10 out of 10.

As we say, our The Last of Us review will go live on June 6 (once the embargo ends)."

Maybe some of you should rethink about cancelling your pre-orders. :roll:

The Macho Man
06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
First 3 reviews are in:

Maybe some of you should rethink about cancelling your pre-orders. :roll:

But at 12 hours that's 5 dollars per hour of entertainment. These cheap fvks can't afford that. 5 dollars!!

rhythmic
06-04-2013, 01:35 PM
AC games are generally around 20-30(sometimes more) If you go for at least 90%
Mass Effect games take at least 20+ if you do half the sidequests.
RDR I'm not even sure how long that takes.:lol GTA is somewhat the same in that regard.
Demon's soul is a good what 30? 40? maybe more.

etc etc. Point being 12-15 is fairly weak for a top tier game.

And that's just off the top of my head three franchises with vastly longer gameplay. 15 hours=not worth it. I was HIGHLY excited about this game. I still am, but I'm sorry "12-15" is not worth it at this stage of the console.

Hell I think I spent about 13 or so on Tomb Raider getting 96% completion.

Uncharted 2 is rated higher then all those games that you've named and is about 3 times shorter, why?

Because in those 12 hours you get more out of the game then you do in the 30-40 hours playing Demon's Soul.

RDR, San Andreas and Mass Effect 2 are the only games I actually finished that were longer then 25 hours. I personally can't stand games that take too long (like Skyrim). I just lose interest eventually or can't recollect the story (because I don't have the time to play the game every single day for 5-6 hours).