PDA

View Full Version : Paul George vs. Pippen

DLeagueWannabe
06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm having a discussion with my brother right now about Paul George vs. Scottie Pippen. Honestly, (and I was born in 1986), in this ECF Paul George looks practically as good as Prime Pippen to me.

Now, I know George isn't the player Pippen is All Time, but I'm dead serious when I say that he pretty much looks as affective as Pippen did. I know he doesn't play at this level all season long, but in my eyes he's about Pippen's equal right now in this series.

And for what it's worth, I never thought Pippen was that great. He was very very good, but not great in my eyes.

What do you guys think?

Derivative
06-02-2013, 05:15 PM
he has the potential to be the next pippen, very good all around game, athletic, long, good defense, can pass, can rebound, can score, not a very good shooter

tikay0
06-02-2013, 05:26 PM
He's a better offensive player than Pippen already, and his defense is actually creeping up there, but the margin in their defense is still drastic.

Ya'll musta forgot how beastly Pip was on D.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Pippen could run an offense. George can pass.

There's a difference.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Pippen could run an offense. George can pass.

There's a difference.

Ummmm......it's not George's job to run the offense. That's what Hill is used for. :confusedshrug:

kNicKz
06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
he has the potential to be Pippen. He isn't there yet. If he pulls off game 7 I will definitely re enter this convo

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Being born and raised out of the Chi, as a lifelong Bulls fan..... I love Paul George's game and make the Pippen comparison a lot. Had PG on my fantasy squad two years straight too so i watch him and check the stats religiously.

But also being a Chicago guy, watching Pip all those years, George still has a ways to go.

I actually give the mental edge to George already, he has been a great leader this year or at least in these playoffs, and at such a young age(23).

I just dont think PG will ever be as strong of a defender as Pip or as strong physically period.

Everybody has to remember what Pippen did the first year MJ retired.....nasty numbers, a great regular season, and if not for a controversial call, could have taken the Bulls back to the finals maybe....

Only time will tell how far Paul George can climb up the ladder of great SG/SF swing point forward hybrids.....sky looks like the limit though with this kid.

A long ways to catch Pippen but definitely possible, and Scottie is high on my list, especially when it comes to perimeter players.

K Xerxes
06-02-2013, 05:43 PM
He's a better offensive player than Pippen already, and his defense is actually creeping up there, but the margin in their defense is still drastic.

Ya'll musta forgot how beastly Pip was on D.

:facepalm

Anyway, George has pretty awful handles. Turns the ball over way too much. Has a good three though.

It's just an over reaction to one good series. Just like Hibbert being the best center in the league etc. If George can consistently produce over a season (he had like 18 points on 42% shooting lol), them maybe we can start a conversation on whether he *could* become the next Pippen some time in the future. Until then, all of you should calm down and keep it in perspective.

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm having a discussion with my brother right now about Paul George vs. Scottie Pippen. Honestly, (and I was born in 1986), in this ECF Paul George looks practically as good as Prime Pippen to me.

Now, I know George isn't the player Pippen is All Time, but I'm dead serious when I say that he pretty much looks as affective as Pippen did. I know he doesn't play at this level all season long, but in my eyes he's about Pippen's equal right now in this series.

And for what it's worth, I never thought Pippen was that great. He was very very good, but not great in my eyes.

What do you guys think?

To answer your question even more directly, and in short answer form.....

It's too early for you to say he looks practically as good as Pippen.... not enough evidence yet.....having a huge game 7 in a game that is basically un- winnable due to the corrupt NBA???? That would certainly help his legend, but he's not even close to Pip yet.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Being born and raised out of the Chi, as a lifelong Bulls fan..... I love Paul George's game and make the Pippen comparison a lot. Had PG on my fantasy squad two years straight too so i watch him and check the stats religiously.

But also being a Chicago guy, watching Pip all those years, George still has a ways to go.

I actually give the mental edge to George already, he has been a great leader this year or at least in these playoffs, and at such a young age(23).

I just dont think PG will ever be as strong of a defender as Pip or as strong physically period.

Everybody has to remember what Pippen did the first year MJ retired.....nasty numbers, a great regular season, and if not for a controversial call, could have taken the Bulls back to the finals maybe....

Only time will tell how far Paul George can climb up the ladder of great SG/SF swing point forward hybrids.....sky looks like the limit though with this kid.

A long ways to catch Pippen but definitely possible, and Scottie is high on my list, especially when it comes to perimeter players.

And lets hope he doesn't take that next step, because it'll be another contender to go through for us Bulls fans. :banghead:

The days of only having to worry about the Heat are over. We gotta worry about the damn Pacers too! :rant

tikay0
06-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Anyway, George has pretty awful handles. Turns the ball over way too much. Has a good three though.

It's just an over reaction to one good series. Just like Hibbert being the best center in the league etc. If George can consistently produce over a season (he had like 18 points on 42% shooting lol), them maybe we can start a conversation on whether he *could* become the next Pippen some time in the future. Until then, all of you should calm down and keep it in perspective.

It's not an over exaggeration buddy. George's handles are better than Pip's, and his overall offensive game is more advanced than Pippen's. I've never put Pippen's offense on a pedestal.

KG215
06-02-2013, 05:56 PM

It's not an over exaggeration buddy. George's handles are better than Pip's, and his overall offensive game is more advanced than Pippen's. I've never put Pippen's offense on a pedestal.
You can't be serious?

Oh, and Pippen had a good back to the basket game; something George doesn't have much of right now.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Ummmm......it's not George's job to run the offense. That's what Hill is used for. :confusedshrug:

Like it was on Pippen most of the time?

My point is that I don't see George as point forward. He's a G/F who can pass the ball relatively well. Pippen is the guy who took the point forward position to a new level.

imo, if you are getting compared to Pippen, you absolutely need to be a point forward. Otherwise there are better comparisons out there.

That's like saying player X plays like Dirk, except he can't shoot.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Like it was on Pippen most of the time?

My is that I don't see George as point forward. He's a G/F who can pass the ball relatively well. Pippen is the guy who took the point forward position to a new level.

The Bulls were set up to play that way. MJ instilled in Pippen that duty. The Bulls have never had a traditional PG. Always 3pt. shooting PGs.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
You can't be serious?

Oh, and Pippen had a good back to the basket game; something George doesn't have much of right now.

I'm dead ass serious.

KG215
06-02-2013, 06:02 PM
The Bulls were set up to play that way. MJ instilled in Pippen that duty. The Bulls have never had a traditional PG. Always 3pt. shooting PGs.
Pippen ran offenses and played point-forward on other teams, too. Not just the Bulls.

SamuraiSWISH
06-02-2013, 06:02 PM
George's handle isn't better, it's just new wave / modern type moves with the ball that have you fooled. I wouldn't say either one of them has a particularly better handle than the other. George isn't near as intelligent as Pippen, he might have more courage and mental toughness than younger Pippen however.

K Xerxes
06-02-2013, 06:05 PM

You are clueless, all you have to do is pay attention to George's game and not be over-awed by his statline. George has averaged 5 turnovers a game this series, has shaky handles and commits boneheaded turnovers. He's played well, but he's not even close to being close to Pippen.

And...

And lets hope he doesn't take that next step, because it'll be another contender to go through for us Bulls fans. :banghead:

The days of only having to worry about the Heat are over. We gotta worry about the damn Pacers too! :rant

:roll: :roll: :roll:

tikay0
06-02-2013, 06:07 PM
You are clueless, all you have to do is pay attention to George's game and not be over-awed by his statline. George has averaged 5 turnovers a game this series. He's played well, but he's not even close to Pippen you troll.

And...

1) 5 TO's against the Heat at age 23 isn't something to be ashamed of.

2) You're not a Bulls fan, so why are you laughing? As a Bulls fan, the Pacers should make you nervous. Not scared, but if George takes the next step in his game, then yes, they should be taken very seriously.

3) Stop acting like you're a Bulls fan. You go into every Lebron thread and defend him to the death.

Numbersixx you need to get a life, and stop trolling this site.

P.S. You joined on April 2013, and you already have 714 posts. :facepalm

K Xerxes
06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
1) 5 TO's against the Heat at age 23 isn't something to be ashamed of.

2) You're not a Bulls fan, so why are you laughing? As a Bulls fan, the Pacers should make you nervous. Not scared, but if George takes the next step in his game, then yes, they should be taken very seriously.

3) Stop acting like you're a Bulls fan. You go into every Lebron thread and defend him to the death.

Numbersixx you need to get a life, and stop trolling this site.

P.S. You joined on April 2013, and you already have 714 posts. :facepalm

Yeah, no point.

It's playoff time, I figure it's the most time I'd spend here. I'll be gone when the playoffs are over.

NBASTATMAN
06-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Better scorer in terms of moves but he isn't the team defender Pippen was.. He is already much more clutch than Pippen though:rockon:

hitmanyr2k
06-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Paul George is still a very low IQ player with suspect handles and passing ability. He commits a lot of unforced turnovers and can't make a post entry pass to save his life. The guy can have the biggest target on the floor in Hibbert and still find a way to sail a pass over his head out of bounds :facepalm When he's asked to run the offense it's clear he's not a floor general and doesn't know how to direct an offense to get the best shot and Indiana's offense suffers for it. He's been a turnover machine the entire playoffs.

And when it comes to offensive skill that guy is nowhere near Pippen yet. All he does right now is shoot threes and occasionally drives to the rim. Pippen was the better slasher, a much better finisher with either hand, had a midrange game which PG is still lacking, and George doesn't even have anything resembling a post game yet. Anyone trying to put him on Pippen's level offensively needs their head checked. And don't get me started on the defensive end.

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Why are Bulls fans so quick to diminish Pippen all the time? Especially with this whole notion that Pippen was menatlly weak? And for no other reason than that migrane incident.

Put yourself in his shoes. Hes young, has Jordan riding him no doubt, his father died recently, he has a large family depending on him, and hes in this huge market.

And no matter what he did, Bulls fans just cant appreciate it. Why do non Bulls fans have to come in and defend a Bulls player? This man played an integral role in Six ****kn championships.

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Better scorer in terms of moves but he isn't the team defender Pippen was.. He is already much more clutch than Pippen though:rockon:
Lol this is a ****n lie. Pippen has been in hundreds of playoff games. How can George jump Pippen based on one friggn series?

Shepseskaf
06-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Let's be fair and say that at the same stage of development, George's offensive game is more advanced than Pippen's.

For some reason, Pip never developed a smooth looking jumpshot. His shots were always flat and came off the rim hard.

Defensively, I doubt PG will ever match Pippen.

SamuraiSWISH
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
:oldlol: @ tikay0 being a "Bulls fan"

tikay0
06-02-2013, 07:25 PM
:oldlol: @ tikay0 being a "Bulls fan"

Why are you responding to you own alt? :facepalm

Fuggin loser. :oldlol:

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Great point homie.

But id be lying to you if I didnt say im still confident the Bulls can handle the Pacers next year.

They are impressive and making great strides in Indy, this cannot be understated....

However, if not for this series they are having against an injured Miami team, the Pacers would not be looking anywhere near as good as they have.

They still only won 49 games, and the Bulls managed to win 62 games one year and grab the one seed two years in a row.

Pacers will be a major road block but Bulls can take em. We are a tougher matchup for Indy anyway, we are bigger down low than Miami.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Great point homie.

But id be lying to you if I didnt say im still confident the Bulls can handle the Pacers next year.

They are impressive and making great strides in Indy, this cannot be understated....

However, if not for this series they are having against an injured Miami team, the Pacers would not be looking anywhere near as good as they have.

They still only won 49 games, and the Bulls managed to win 62 games one year and grab the one seed two years in a row.

Pacers will be a major road block but Bulls can take em. We are a tougher matchup for Indy anyway, we are bigger down low than Miami.

Yeah, you're right. The Pacers can't abuse us down low like they can with the Heat, BUT, if George turns into a legit superstar caliber player, ex. game 6 like performances on a more consistent basis, then they're always gonna be a tough out.

But yeah, I'm wit ya homie. I have all the confidence in our Bulls. :cheers:

I also don't like how people are starting to overrate the crap outta their defense. They just happen to have someone that's much bigger than Bosh, and isn't a bum.

I'd love to see Hibbert do that to Noah and our team defense. :oldlol:

K Xerxes
06-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Why are you responding to you own alt? :facepalm

Fuggin loser. :oldlol:

According to you, everyone on the site apart from you is the same person! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Your reputation is gone, time to jump ship to one of your alt.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
According to you, everyone on the site apart from you is the same person! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not a puss bag like you. Don't need alts. :D

And I KNOW you're either Numbersixx or Swish's alt.

Teanett
06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
he can be as good as pip but some boneheaded decision making and bad turnovers have to be taken care of. he has the tools tho.

scottie is my favourite player.

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Dont know who you are but Tikay is a quality objective poster who definitely doesn't have any ALTs.

Just throwing that out there.

NBASTATMAN
06-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Lol this is a ****n lie. Pippen has been in hundreds of playoff games. How can George jump Pippen based on one friggn series?

What I wrote was truth! I never wrote that George was as good as Pippen. I wrote that George was a better scorer in terms of the moves he has .. That is true. I didn't write he was a better scorer. This is analogous to writing that Melo is a better scorer than bron. Well Lebron has a better career scoring avg but Melo just has more ways to score..

I also wrote that Pip was a much better team defender.. That is true.. And I wrote that George is already a much more clutch player than Pip... I think everyone would agree that Pip was just not a clutch player in terms of making big shots... :rockon:

tikay0
06-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Dont know who you are but Tikay is a quality objective poster who definitely doesn't have any ALTs.

Thanks homie. :cheers:

REAL BULLS FANS need to stick together. There's enough Chicago/Rose haters on this board. Don't need to start petty beefs with some nut job alts that are fake Bulls fans.

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 08:24 PM
What I wrote was truth! I never wrote that George was as good as Pippen. I wrote that George was a better scorer in terms of the moves he has .. That is true. I didn't write he was a better scorer. This is analogous to writing that Melo is a better scorer than bron. Well Lebron has a better career scoring avg but Melo just has more ways to score..

I also wrote that Pip was a much better team defender.. That is true.. And I wrote that George is already a much more clutch player than Pip... I think everyone would agree that Pip was just not a clutch player in terms of making big shots... :rockon:l agree with just about everything you stated. But this is just dumb.

Originally posted by NBAstatman

George is already a much more clutch player than Pip... I think everyone would agree that Pip was just not a clutch player in terms of making big shots...*

You obviously dont remember all the bigs shots Pippen hit over the course of the Bulls run. Not only that, but the clutch defensive plays Pippen had. Go look at the 1991 ECF game three when Scottie Pippen snuffed out every run the Pistons made with clutch shit after clutch shot.

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks homie. :cheers:

REAL BULLS FANS need to stick together. There's enough Chicago/Rose haters on this board. Don't need to start petty beefs with some nut job alts that are fake Bulls fans.
Then how can you so easily take the side of a player over Pippen based off of one playoff series?

I swear it never ceases to amaze me. Laker, Celtics, Heat, fans etc, never degrade key players that helped bring titles to their city. Bulls fans...... All praises go to Jordan alone. Its tragic

SamuraiSWISH
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Then how can you so easily take the side of a player over Pippen based off of one playoff series?
Exactly, and I'm not even a crazed Pippen stan like you and I recognized this.

Bucket_Nakedz
06-02-2013, 08:31 PM
can't believe bulls fans are even condoning this sh!t.

http://i.imgur.com/0hm7W.gif

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 08:31 PM

I swear it never ceases to amaze me. Laker, Celtics, Heat, fans etc, never degrade key players that helped bring titles to their city. Bulls fans...... All praises go to Jordan alone. Its tragic

I dont think he was not praising Pip. Objectively trying to compare the two and its just his opinion.

Just sayin'. You are another one my fave posters here so not hatin'.

George will probably never be as good as Scottie, but its a fun comparison to make for a couple of reasons.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Dude, I never said George is the better player. :confusedshrug:

I said his offense is more advanced than Pippen's, based on my eye test. I'm probably wrong as someone else pointed out, but that was just my observation.

I even gave Pippen mad respect for his defense. I didn't even answer whether he could be as good as a prime Pippen.

And I still think he has a ways to go until he reaches prime Pippen status.

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 08:34 PM
can't believe bulls fans are even condoning this sh!t.

http://i.imgur.com/0hm7W.gif
Than you.

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
The fact that Scottie was brought up in the league with Jordan is going to be an edge Paul George will never have obviously.

Scottie was always going to be a great talent. What Mike instilled in him is beyond priceless.

All bulls fans wish we could see Scottie guard Lebron....."the chosen one" would not like it very much.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 08:37 PM
The fact that Scottie was brought up in the league with Jordan is going to be an edge Paul George will never have obviously.

Scottie was always going to be a great talent. What Mike instilled in him is beyond priceless.

All bulls fans wish we could see Scottie guard Lebron....."the chosen one" would not like it very much.

:oldlol: "The chosen one" would set the record on flops in an NBA game. It would be utterly disgusting trying to watch Lebron go 1 on 1 with a prime Pippen.

If Butler gave him fits, he wouldn't even bother showing up for game 2 against Pippen.

NBASTATMAN
06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
l agree with just about everything you stated. But this is just dumb.

You obviously dont remember all the bigs shots Pippen hit over the course of the Bulls run. Not only that, but the clutch defensive plays Pippen had. Go look at the 1991 ECF game three when Scottie Pippen snuffed out every run the Pistons made with clutch shit after clutch shot.

I truly don't remember Pippen hitting too many big shots. It was Mj or Kukoc when MJ was gone hitting the big shots.. I do remember the shot that Pippen hit vs Indiana in game 7 of 1998 ECF to seal the victory though.. That was big. As for him being clutch in other situations. I agree after 91 he came with his A game in terms of being ready to play. Whether he scored well or not, he always showed up in other areas.. In those terms he was always a clutch performer..

In terms of big shots, I meant big shots in the fourth quarters of closely contended series. I wouldn't say that the series with Detroit was close. But I am sure his shots were a key to making sure that series wasn't close..

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I dont think he was not praising Pip. Objectively trying to compare the two and its just his opinion.

Just sayin'. You are another one my fave posters here so not hatin'.

George will probably never be as good as Scottie, but its a fun comparison to make for a couple of reasons.
It shouldn't even be up for debate. George hasnt done 1/10 of what Pippen has accomplished. Id agree I see the similarities. But thats as far as it goes.

And trust that im not implying or questioning anyones loyalty. I just think there needs to be more loyalty. One playoff series shouldn't be able to trump a career of success.

IGOTGAME
06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I just don't see the comparison quite yet.

Dengness9
06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
It shouldn't even be up for debate. George hasnt done 1/10 of what Pippen has accomplished. Id agree I see the similarities. But thats as far as it goes.

And trust that im not implying or questioning anyones loyalty. I just think there needs to be more loyalty. One playoff series shouldn't be able to trump a career of success.

word. i dont disagree with any of that truth be told.

I look forward to seeing where George's career goes even being a Bulls fan who has always disliked the Pacers from the Miller time days.

Imagine Pip guarding George.....George would find out real quick how much more time he needs in the weight room.

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I truly don't remember Pippen hitting too many big shots. It was Mj or Kukoc when MJ was gone hitting the big shots.. I do remember the shot that Pippen hit vs Indiana in game 7 of 1998 ECF to seal the victory though.. That was big. As for him being clutch in other situations. I agree after 91 he came with his A game in terms of being ready to play. Whether he scored well or not, he always showed up in other areas.. In those terms he was always a clutch performer..

In terms of big shots, I meant big shots in the fourth quarters of closely contended series. I wouldn't say that the series with Detroit was close. But I am sure his shots were a key to making sure that series wasn't close..
That game three was close. The Pistons seemed to give up after that game. People just dont understand the significance of that game. That was the Bad Boy Pistons last effort at attempting to thwart the Bulls. Their run ended in game three.

NBASTATMAN
06-02-2013, 09:09 PM
That game three was close. The Pistons seemed to give up after that game. People just dont understand the significance of that game. That was the Bad Boy Pistons last effort at attempting to thwart the Bulls. Their run ended in game three.

I don't remember it and thats the truth.. So you are probably correct. Still you have to concede that Pip is not known as a big shot maker.. Even PJ understood this and usually had Kukoc taking big shots over Pip

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Dude, I never said George is the better player. :confusedshrug:

I said his offense is more advanced than Pippen's, based on my eye test. I'm probably wrong as someone else pointed out, but that was just my observation.

I even gave Pippen mad respect for his defense. I didn't even answer whether he could be as good as a prime Pippen.

And I still think he has a ways to go until he reaches prime Pippen status.
I understand. This is just something thats gone on since forever. I just hope that the way you see fit to comment on Paul George is the same youll be the next time someone makes a Pippen bashing thread

97 bulls
06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't remember it and thats the truth.. So you are probably correct. Still you have to concede that Pip is not known as a big shot maker.. Even PJ understood this and usually had Kukoc taking big shots over Pip
Not true. Jackson was notorious for using players as decoys. He did the same in 93 xuring the NBA finals game 6. Jordan was a decoy. And the result was a wide open jumper for Paxson.

And Piooen was a big shot maker. He just wasnt on Jordan s level. And unfortunately, it seems as thats who hes constantly compared to.

K Xerxes
06-02-2013, 09:26 PM

From the posts I've seen of him, he's a troll that acts as an MJ stan (but actually switched to a crazed clueless Russell fan a few days ago) and is now back to being a 'Chicago' fan?

And there is nothing more indicative of that than 'Paul George is more advanced offensively than Scottie Pippen'. Glad to see he back tracked though, saved himself a bit more embarrassment.

tikay0
06-02-2013, 09:34 PM
I understand. This is just something thats gone on since forever. I just hope that the way you see fit to comment on Paul George is the same youll be the next time someone makes a Pippen bashing thread

Don't worry. I'll defend Pippen. :cheers:

tikay0
06-02-2013, 09:40 PM
From the posts I've seen of him, he's a troll that acts as an MJ stan (but actually switched to a crazed clueless Russell fan a few days ago) and is now back to being a 'Chicago' fan?

And there is nothing more indicative of that than 'Paul George is more advanced offensively than Scottie Pippen'. Glad to see he back tracked though, saved himself a bit more embarrassment.

LMAO, when have I ever "acted" like an MJ stan? I always take MJ's side in those MJ vs. Lebron/Kobe/Magic/Bird debates. Not because I'm a stan, but because it's pretty damn easy to ether those threads with MJ's skills and accomplishments.

And just because I said I'd take Russell over MJ to start my franchise, I'm not a Bulls fan anymore? :confusedshrug: You act like I said I'd take Russell > MJ 100/100 times. I'll probably switch it back to MJ next week for all I know. I was just giving Russell some huge props, and not marginalizing him as a utility man that played with a bunch of HOF's.

Stop being butt hurt.

WayOfWade
06-02-2013, 09:46 PM
The guy who overrates LeBron vs. the guy going toe to toe with LeBron.

WWRWestbrookDo?
06-02-2013, 10:37 PM
can you see George in the 50 greatest players of all time? Well Pippen was in there.

kshutts1
06-03-2013, 09:47 AM
can you see George in the 50 greatest players of all time? Well Pippen was in there.

This and the .gif of the man shaking his head are two of the best posts in here.

Why were we discussing this? Paul George is having a pretty decent series. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_george/
21.5pgg, 5.8rpb, 5.3apg, 4.8TOpg with 50/47/81 shooting splits, and good defense.

Those stats are comparable to Pippen's last two years with the Jordan Bulls. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_george/
20/6.5/5.7/2.6TO with 47/37/70 splits, then 19/5.2/5.8/2.5TO with 47/32/78. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Pip played legendary, GOAT-level perimeter defense.

The obvious difference between the 2 is the defensive gap (huge) and George's significantly higher FG% (in the years I chose for Scottie). I don't believe that George's FG% is sustainable.. he's a career 43% shooter... so knock that down to his "career" level and suddenly his numbers are not impressive, at all.

And as I said in the beginning, I chose the last two years of Pippen's years with the Jordan Bulls. Otherwise known as two of his WORST years as a full-time starter.

So now we have successfully shown that George's stats are on a similar level to Pippen's.... in two of his worst full-time starter's years... and then once we add in the significant gap in defensive ability... why are we discussing this again?

George does have an edge in FT shooting for a career, but Pippen's 3p shooting was very comparable from about 94-99 (just a quick eye-ball test says roughly 35% on 4.5 attempts in those years), so I'm reluctant to give George an edge there.
George is a nice, young player. But Pippen is a player whom others aspire to reach.

hitmanyr2k
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Pippen has had his moments but they kind of get swept under the rug...

Hits three straight 3's to get the Bulls out of a 16 point hole.
http://youtu.be/IyufleA6UlA?t=3m7s

Same game hits the clutch three (obviously a designed play for Pippen) to put the Bulls up for good in the final 40 seconds of play.
http://youtu.be/IyufleA6UlA?t=8m54s

The game before the one above against the Wizards in Game 3 Pippen hits a huge 3 to cut the lead to 1.
http://youtu.be/9Df_BHT0AP8?t=7m17s

On the final play Jordan lost the ball going up for the last shot. Pippen gets the ball and takes it in for the game winning dunk smacking his back hard on the floor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Df_BHT0AP8#t=8m38s

Also, the countless big shots he hit against the Knicks in the ECF in '93. In Game 6 he closed the Knicks out with big shot after big shot in the 4th when no one else really had anything going which was huge because Game 7 would have been at MSG where they barely got a win before (off Pippen's successive blocks on Charles Smith in Game 5).
http://youtu.be/Llgnf6gY_gM?t=3m32s

Game 6 of the '92 ECFs closes out Cavs with superb play on both ends. Ultra-aggressive all game and the kind of game that shows where Paul George wants to get to but is nowhere close to Pippen in terms of skill and impact on either end of the floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-w9A9BNeU

Also scored 12 points in the 4th qtr of Game 6 of the '92 Finals and hit key buckets down the stretch to close out the Blazers in that big 15 point comeback for Chicago's 2nd championship.
http://youtu.be/8h5tR0rQddo?t=6m55s

Maestro33
06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Awesome post above me here. The short term memory around here is amazing but understandable. I will fully agree Pips big shots could be better but how about big clutch defensive plays? They're countless. A block and run out dunk with 3 minutes left or literally sealing off the opponents first option in crunch time. Can't forget this stuff or the fact he did it for hundreds of games...

Carbine
06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
This debate is an insult to Pippen if we're talking about George in this series vs. Pippen at his best. We're talking about 21.5/5.5/6 with 5 turnovers a game for Paul George.

Pippen might have been the best and most disruptive/versatile perimeter defender the league has ever seen, George is decent on defense.

I believe Scottie was a superior passer and facilitator. Another level really as it stands for this comparison. Better rebounder.

tpols
06-03-2013, 01:41 PM
This debate is an insult to Pippen if we're talking about George in this series vs. Pippen at his best. We're talking about 21.5/5.5/6 with 5 turnovers a game for Paul George.

Pippen might have been the best and most disruptive/versatile perimeter defender the league has ever seen, George is decent on defense.

I believe Scottie was a superior passer and facilitator. Another level really as it stands for this comparison. Better rebounder.
George is more than decent on defense.. get real.

Carbine
06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
It's what I see. There are numerous players throughout the league who do as good or better of a job on defense.

KG215
06-03-2013, 02:20 PM
It's what I see. There are numerous players throughout the league who do as good or better of a job on defense.
No, there isn't, not if we're talking about other perimeter players. Of course I don't know what you mean by "numerous" but George is one of the premiere perimeter defenders in the league.

Carbine
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Lance
Sam Hill
Deng
Hinrich
Tony Allen
Bradley
Shumpert
Green
Kawai Leonard
Bron
Wade
Affallo
Iggy
Sefolosha
Batum
Butler
Kirilenko

That's just off the top of my head. Probably forgetting some. I don't watch all the teams consistently so I would safely assume their are quite a few other players who are in the league largely because of their defense.

BoutPractice
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
When you're getting compared to Scottie Pippen by your third year, you know your career's on the right path. George is an unbelievable talent, the sky is the limit for him.

LLK21
06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
lol

oh the horror
06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
When you're getting compared to Scottie Pippen by your third year, you know your career's on the right path. George is an unbelievable talent, the sky is the limit for him.

Or people forget about Scottie.

This thread is far far off base.