PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd retires !

MJ(Mean John)
06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
New York Knicks Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations and General Manager Glen Grunwald announced today that 10-time NBA All-Star guard Jason Kidd has retired from playing professional basketball.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13409

-------------

One of the greatest pg's and one of my favorites. Guy was a true floor leader and could play defense in his prime.

niko
06-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I think he's trying to get out of his contract to go somewhere else. No homo. (wait that's not right?) I mean I'm not kidding. Is he married to us for the length of the contract or is the retirement non binding?

ProfessorMurder
06-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I think he's trying to get out of his contract to go somewhere else. No homo. (wait that's not right?) I mean I'm not kidding. Is he married to us for the length of the contract or is the retirement non binding?

If you have a multi-year deal I'm pretty sure you have to sit out the entire season. Then you can sign with someone else. That's what Jason Williams had to do.

AlphaWolf24
06-03-2013, 12:42 PM
- J Kidd was a year ahead of me in HS...I had the privlege to play against him a few times at basketball camps in the city.

- Watched him play in the Coliseum many times......a True Legend!

niko
06-03-2013, 12:49 PM
I went to see him play a lot when he was a Net, the speed he played with was ridiculous. Not that he was blazing fast running but the decisions and the ball movement, etc. was so quick and so on point.

Mass Debator
06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Via Knicks twitter.

One of the greatest pg's and one of my favorites. Guy was a true floor leader and could play defense in his prime.
I'll tip my hat to everything you just said. One of my favorite players to watch in real life. Never saw him with the Nets but seeing him orchestrate for the Mavs out of his prime was still a blessing. You can definitely feel his leadership out there sitting court side.

Dragonyeuw
06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Damn, Jason Kidd and Grant came in together, and leaving together.

MJ(Mean John)
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah, people forget how fast he was dribbling the ball. It was almost as he moved faster when he had the ball, then when he didn't. That finger roll; that fast break dish, etc, the guy was awesome to watch.

Blue&Orange
06-03-2013, 01:04 PM
And yet his contract still count towards cap. without it Knicks had a chance to not be a luxury tax team and have the $5 mil exception.

Harison
06-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Sad to see him go, but honestly he probably should have retired sooner, he was corpse as a player for a while now.

ReturnofJPR
06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
At least he did the right thing, he was something like 0 for his last 100 shots. And even if that stat is wrong, he had 0 points for the whole playoffs, or close to it. That's kind of sad...

Bandito
06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
And yet his contract still count towards cap. without it Knicks had a chance to not be a luxury tax team and have the $5 mil exception.
http://images.wikia.com/icarly/images/4/44/Star-wars-darth-vader-no.gif

3LiftHeatCurse
06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Damn...... I was in 4th grade when he was still young in the NBA...... i remember having his trading cards from when he was with the dallas mavericks way back in the 90s.....

so that makes Shaq, Kidd, Grant Hill gone.......

only ones left from my childhood are Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant...... I guess Steve Nash but he wasn't good back then.

B-Low
06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Damn, and he was on such a scoring tear lately... :(

OldSkoolball#52
06-03-2013, 01:20 PM
I think he's trying to get out of his contract to go somewhere else. No homo. (wait that's not right?) ?

Everything you say is homo so I wouldnt worry about it

Teanett
06-03-2013, 01:20 PM
great! so the knicks can fire woodson and hire kidd now.

jason kidd+grant hill co-rookies of the year and now both retire 19 years later.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.4606897.1360450995!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

ZHAKIDD532
06-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I grew up watching JKidd play ball in the swamp. He's my favorite player to watch in any sport ever. Those early 2000's Nets were unbelievable. Used to play run and gun the right way. Forced lots of turnovers.

I'm glad I don't have to watch him on the Knicks anymore. He's a Net. He always will be. They should retire his #5 in Brooklyn next year. Also, not that he'd be ready to do it now, but he'd make a great coach if he wanted to.

bagelred
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

What? Of course it doesn't.

Salary doesn't count against cap. He's voluntarily retiring. Which means no more contract, no more payments, and no salary cap hit.

Might be different if retiring for medical reasons, but not in this case.

Anywho, this sucks. I thought Kidd had one more year in him, despite his playoff disappearnce. Don't forget, he played really well most of the year until the playoffs.

Sucks. Kidd retires and Camby doesn't. :facepalm Hopefully Kidd retiring convinces Pablo to stay as we'll need more than ever now. More playing time.

tpols
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

jason kidd+grant hill co-rookies of the year and now both retire 19 years later.

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.4606897.1360450995!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

Crown&Coke
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah, people forget how fast he was dribbling the ball. It was almost as he moved faster when he had the ball, then when he didn't. That finger roll; that fast break dish, etc, the guy was awesome to watch.

+1

JKidd was one of those players that teammates love, coaches love and fans love. Tough as nails man

I wish we could have seen the Penny Hardaway and the Sun Dance Kidd backcourt play together healthy for a little while in Phx, i think the entire NBA felt jipped by missing that

rustycage
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
First Hill then Kidd, few hours apart from each other.
Classy move by Jason

LLK21
06-03-2013, 01:28 PM

:applause:

Crown&Coke
06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Sucks. Kidd retires and Camby doesn't. :facepalm Hopefully Kidd retiring convinces Pablo to stay as we'll need more than ever now. More playing time.

:lol

Camby is about his paper man, he aint leaving no money on the table.

bagelred
06-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Exactly. As soon as signed his contract, he pocketed at least $10 million knowing he'll do nothing.....what a waste.

sportjames23
06-03-2013, 01:35 PM

LOL, I was about to say that finally, I'm older than every player in the NBA, but I forgot about Camby. :lol

He's the only player in the league now who's older than me. Damn, now I feel old. :cry:

MeLO MvP 15
06-03-2013, 01:38 PM
What a career. Man it was an honor to have someone I always admired to end his career on my team.

Hopefully he remains with the team as an assistant coach.

FKAri
06-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Next up Nash...Sad to see these guys go.

Shaquille O'Neal
06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
This will free up time for him to beat up his current wife/girlfriend. :oldlol:

What, too soon?:D

insidehoops
06-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Official announcement: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13409

sportjames23
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
This will free up time for him to beat up his current wife/girlfriend. :oldlol:

What, too soon?:D

*spits out drink*

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

KG215
06-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Sad to see him go, but honestly he probably should have retired sooner, he was corpse as a player for a while now.
He was actually more than serviceable for the Mavs in 2011.

AirMike
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Thank you for everything Jason, you will not be forgotten...
:applause: :bowdown: :bowdown: :applause:

LBJ 23
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
- J Kidd was a year ahead of in HS...I had the privlege to play against him a few times at basketball camps in the city.

- Watched him play in the Coliseum many times......a True Legend!

If that's true it means you're over 30 years old. I just realized that's pretty concerning.

BoutPractice
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Really sad to see him go.

He's arguably the greatest point guard to play since Magic Johnson retired, along with Nash (who will probably also retire soon)... A basketball genius, walking triple double, and one of the best passers of all time.

niko
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
It doesn't count against the cap, and we wouldn't use the $5M exception anyway because then we'd be up against the hard cap and not be able to do any more moves if they came up (either this year or next). Other than that your post was great.

Rake2204
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Look at these young fellers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQbX1a5omrE

Anfernee
06-03-2013, 02:38 PM

They will probably be inducted in the HOF together as well.

Patrick Chewing
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
The smartest man in the NBA.

:applause: :bowdown:

Patrick Chewing
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Really sad to see him go.

He's arguably the greatest point guard to play since Magic Johnson retired, along with Nash (who will probably also retire soon)... A basketball genius, walking triple double, and one of the best passers of all time.

I like how you conveniently left out John Stockton. Fool.

Heavincent
06-03-2013, 03:19 PM

jlip
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
While he wasn't my favorite player, he was indeed my favorite type of player. That is, one who can be clearly the most important player on the court without having to score.

DuMa
06-03-2013, 03:52 PM
i just love that kidd retired the day after Grant retired. those two mean a lot to the NBA for their continued professionalism and class. their journeys took separate paths but began together and will end up together.

Shade8780
06-03-2013, 03:54 PM
:applause: :applause: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ancient Legend
06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
i just love that kidd retired the day after Grant retired. those two mean a lot to the NBA for their continued professionalism and class. their journeys took separate paths but began together and will end up together.

Co-Rookies of the Year :cheers:

Derka
06-03-2013, 04:34 PM
19 years is pretty amazing. Congrats J-Kidd :bowdown: :applause: :cheers:

ErhnamDjinn
06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
My favorite Basketball Player of all time he was one of the reasons I enjoyed watching him play ball, its kinda sad he's gone, but I guess it was just time. Was just 14 when he entered the league. Thanks for all the great memories J kidd.

:cheers:

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/JKidd_Grant_ROY.jpg

Scholar
06-03-2013, 05:03 PM
My favorite Basketball Player of all time he was one of the reasons I enjoyed watching him play ball, its kinda sad he's gone, but I guess it was just time. Was just 14 when he entered the league. Thanks for all the great memories J kidd.

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/JKidd_Grant_ROY.jpg

:biggums:

Who else could be responsible for you enjoying watching Kidd play.. Other than Kidd himself?

Anyway, I'm sad to see the guy go, but I'm gla to see him leave at the same time as Grant Hill. It just seems like the most appropriate thing for these co-ROY to do.

LJJ
06-03-2013, 05:06 PM
If Jason Kidd's son painted his head orange he would make a fantastic team mascot.

bence23
06-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Where's KBlaze to give some perspective on this?

where does Kidd rank all time for PGs?

ErhnamDjinn
06-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Who else could be responsible for you enjoying watching Kidd play.. Other than Kidd himself?

Anyway, I'm sad to see the guy go, but I'm gla to see him leave at the same time as Grant Hill. It just seems like the most appropriate thing for these co-ROY to do.
sorry worded it wrong Im sleepy, I meant to say one of the reasons I enjoyed watching the NBA and what got me hooked on basketball,I was more of a baseball guy before this. He was the first and only guy I collected basketball cards for.

bagelred
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Jason Kidd is actually retiring...after 19 unbelievable years......

I think I can speak for all Knick fans by saying......Get lost, old man!!! That's right, you heard me. Geriatric c-ck sucker. "Oh look at me, I'm going to the Hall of Fame." I don't give TWO SHITS!!! You'll always be remembered for this!!!

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299289

http://i42.tinypic.com/axentl.png

How convenient you "forgot how to score" just in the playoffs. Yeah, like that happens.....Congress needs to investigate this black/white charlatan. And your kids got a freaky big head. Go get drunk, slam into a tree, and then beat your wife some more..........goodbye forever!!

What? :confusedshrug: What's everyone looking at? :wtf:

DStebb716
06-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Can somebody clear this up:

The Knicks can now use the full mid-level exception, correct? Because they're below the taxpayers line with this retirement if they workout a buyout which is likely to happen.

ZHAKIDD532
06-03-2013, 05:50 PM
If Jason Kidd's son painted his head orange he would make a fantastic team mascot.
When we'd see him sitting sideline at a Nets game, my Dad would call him "Moonhead"

bagelred
06-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Can somebody clear this up:

The Knicks can now use the full mid-level exception, correct? Because they're below the taxpayers line with this retirement if they workout a buyout which is likely to happen.

I think they could, but they won't...if you use Non Taxpayer MLE, then you have a hard cap put on you for the year. So knicks aren't going to use it, even if they technically could.

DStebb716
06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
I think they could, but they won't...if you use Non Taxpayer MLE, then you have a hard cap put on you for the year. So knicks aren't going to use it, even if they technically could.

I doubt they'll pass up an opportunity to improve the team if they have it.

tpols
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Jason Kidd is actually retiring...after 19 unbelievable years......

I think I can speak for all Knick fans by saying......Get lost, old man!!! That's right, you heard me. Geriatric c-ck sucker. "Oh look at me, I'm going to the Hall of Fame." I don't give TWO SHITS!!! You'll always be remembered for this!!!

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299289

http://i42.tinypic.com/axentl.png

How convenient you "forgot how to score" just in the playoffs. Yeah, like that happens.....Congress needs to investigate this black/white charlatan. And your kids got a freaky big head. Go get drunk, slam into a tree, and then beat your wife some more..........goodbye forever!!

What? :confusedshrug: What's everyone looking at? :wtf:
So he missed like 8 shots over the course of the series you lost in.. JR missed that much in single quarters.

DStebb716
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Alright. Nevermind. The Knicks do NOT have the full MLE. To have the full MLE you have to be at least 5 mill below the apron, and then are capped at the apron. The Knicks won't be five mill below the apron so will just have the 3 mill MLE to work with.

Kidd retiring may open up the 1.9 MLE tho.

bagelred
06-03-2013, 06:22 PM

They can't. They have plenty of roster spots to fill with minimum salary guys. They won't even be able to do that if they use full MLE.

DStebb716
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
The only way this team improves is if it pulls off a steal with the 24th pick. I would be absolutely pleased if they could get Shane Larkin there, but I highly doubt he gets anyway passed 23 (Indiana). If there's any possible way to trade up, then the Knicks should do it to land him.

Then signing Dorell Wright would be the best option for the 3 mill MLE. This would give the Knicks a scoring option at the three that spreads the floor for Melo playing at the four.
And resigning Prigioni for the vet's minimum (I wouldn't pay any more than that).
Maybe getting Matt Barnes for the minimum would be a good option if possible.
Resigning JR. And if you can get Cope back on board then good. If he leaves, he'll likely be the second coming of Shawne Williams.

leopoldstotch
06-03-2013, 06:39 PM
now Juwan Howard needs to retire to complete the draft class.

k0kakw0rld
06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
One of my favorite player ever :cry:

What a career! I'm just glad he got to win at least a championship before he retires.

rknine15
06-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the great times Jason Kidd :cheers:

Will be missed.... *holding back tears*

kNicKz
06-03-2013, 07:26 PM
wow.....I'm speechless

there will never be another jason kidd

Shaquille O'Neal
06-03-2013, 08:20 PM
*spits out drink*

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

LockoutOver11
06-03-2013, 08:32 PM
i cried at work today when I read bleacher....

favorite player of all time, and I guess a not so biased opinion is that he is number 2 point of all time... hate stockton comparison there is none, one was alpha one wasnt.... magic is the only one with a better legacy... isiah is right there...

i never got to see him as a knick:(

niko
06-03-2013, 08:36 PM
No, they will not use the MLE. It really restricts what you can do later on - it hard caps you for more than a year. That wasn't happening before and is still not happening now.

Draz
06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Well it was good while it lasted Kidd. He'll always be one of my all time favorites.

Draz
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
i cried at work today when I read bleacher....

favorite player of all time, and I guess a not so biased opinion is that he is number 2 point of all time... hate stockton comparison there is none, one was alpha one wasnt.... magic is the only one with a better legacy... isiah is right there...

i never got to see him as a knick:(

Did you actually cry at work? And what part of queens are you from? I'm from Richmond Hill.

LockoutOver11
06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Did you actually cry at work? And what part of queens are you from? I'm from Richmond Hill.

Well... maybe I shed a tear... I love the response my coworkers gave me.. I announced like guess who retired... two said grant hill... I was like nah today someone else... and then I said kidd..... and everyone was like ahhh nahhh... we were sadden.... treated customers like shit rest of the day....

Woodside....

StackzUp
06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
J Kidd one of the best PGs ever. Had an awesome career.

Lebron23
06-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Will the Brooklyn Nets retire his jersey number? Kidd had a great career. A top 6 PG of all time.

HarryCallahan
06-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Sad. I think he could've contributed for another season or 2.

d.bball.guy
06-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Retiring with his co-ROY Grant Hill :cheers: Thanks for the memories. Would be cool if they enter the HOF at the same time :lol

305Baller
06-04-2013, 01:02 AM

Smoke117
06-04-2013, 02:23 AM
I've always liked him, but it was definitely time. Age was brutal to him and frankly I consider him the greatest defensive pg of all time in general and one of the best all around players ever, but he had pretty much shown he was done competing at an elite level this year. Good luck to him. Jason Kidd > Gary Payton defensively.

Kiddlovesnets
06-04-2013, 08:07 AM
What an amazing career Kidd had, too bad he retired being a knick.

SpaceJammeR
06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Farewell JKIDD!

LJJ
06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
:eek:
Jason Kidd > Gary Payton defensively.