PDA

View Full Version : What would a prime Larry Bird be today?

MavsSuperFan
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Say Larry Bird from 84-86 was in todays game. what would he be?

MVP level?
1st team?
2nd team?
All star?
Starter?
Bench player?
last guy on the bench?

senelcoolidge
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
A total badass. Especially with today's rules. But I think it's great that he played during his era. He played at the perfect time for him, it really showcases his greatness.

Trollsmasher
06-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Brian Scalabrine?:confusedshrug:

dh144498
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
the best player in the league. MVP, a champion, a winner.

It would be:

1. Larry Bird

2. Lebron
3. Durant

2010splash
06-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Definitely wouldn't win MVP since he's worse than LeBron. He would be battling with Durant for #2 player in the league. There would be a massive gap between LeBron and Bird.

selrahc
06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
he would be schooling lebron but probably a little worse then kobe

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Larry Bird is an era specific player. He was great in his specific era but it doesn't translate over to succeeding eras.

MavsSuperFan
06-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Larry Bird is an era specific player. He was great in his specific era but it doesn't translate over to succeeding eras.

Could you explain why he did well in the 80s but would struggle in the 90s, 00s and today?

Raymone
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
A poor man's LeBron.

K Xerxes
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
All of the comments above me are utterly ridiculous. Very indicative of this forum.

I think it'd be pretty close between him and LeBron for best in the league considering they'd both be in their prime. I'd give Bird the edge, but it's close.

aj1987
06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
he would be schooling lebron but probably a little worse then kobe
Lebron >>>>> Kobe
But according to you,
Kobe >> Bird
Therefore Lebron >>>>>>> Bird

9erempiree
Could you explain why he did well in the 80s but would struggle in the 90s, 00s and today?

Competition and modern athletes.

Kblaze8855
Ive decided to deny your freedom of speech when you attempt to use the phrase "era specific" from here on. Its yet to be used in a post that didnt justify deletion for the sake of avoiding a ****ing idiotic argument.

ReturnofJPR
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Ive decided to deny your freedom of speech when you attempt to use the phrase "era specific" from here on. Its yet to be used in a post that didnt justify deletion for the sake of avoiding a ****ing idiotic argument.

That is such a disappointing post coming from you :facepalm

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
That is such a disappointing post coming from you :facepalm

He hates me.

2010splash
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
All of the comments above me are utterly ridiculous. Very indicative of this forum.

I think it'd be pretty close between him and LeBron for best in the league considering they'd both be in their prime. I'd give Bird the edge, but it's close.
Most ridiculous post of them all. If they played in the same league, anyone trying to argue that peak Bird is better than peak LeBron would probably be referred to a psychiatrist.

LeBron is much more statistically dominant than Bird and has posted roughly 32 PER's on several occasions. He's also way more efficient than Bird. Bird's single season high PER is lower than LeBron's CAREER AVERAGE. :oldlol:

And LeBron just craps all over Bird defensively as well. Bird isn't in the same stratosphere as LeBron.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:37 PM
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5047/13692019.jpg

BoutPractice
MVP candidate any given year, would win a few. Whether he or LeBron would get it would depend on their respective year.

Also, Jeff Hornacek retired in 2000...

dh144498
Most ridiculous post of them all. If they played in the same league, anyone trying to argue that peak Bird is better than peak LeBron would probably be referred to a psychiatrist.

LeBron is much more statistically dominant than Bird and has posted roughly 32 PER's on several occasions. He's also way more efficient than Bird. Bird's single season high PER is lower than LeBron's CAREER AVERAGE. :oldlol:

And LeBron just craps all over Bird defensively as well. Bird isn't in the same stratosphere as LeBron.

PER

you are right. George Mikan has a career (recorded) PER of 27, so he's the 3rd best player of all time. And he also has a PER of 33.6 en route to a championship, so that's the greatest championship run of all time.

:coleman:

Kblaze8855
06-03-2013, 02:38 PM
You once left for 2 years over Kobe outplaying Tmac in a 4th quarter after you made a topic on him owning Kobe to that point. I have nothing to prove to you.

Every single mention of that phrase by this clown is for the express purpose of starting an uninformed argument.

Too many people make those instigating posts over and over about things they dont even care about just to spark foolish arguments and ruin topics.

Its way past old.

Raymone
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Can Bird even dunk? Give me LeBron anyday.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM

CavaliersFTW
06-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Competition and modern athletes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUlpUkPMLA

K Xerxes
06-03-2013, 02:40 PM

The fact that you're using PER just shows how pathetic your argument is. PER is adjusted to relative league strength, it's ludicrous to compare it ACROSS eras. Who knows what Bird would have done in this era? And PER is a worthless metric anyway.

Compare their attributes and Bird is a better shooter (in all regards), rebounder and passer than LeBron. LeBron is a better defender, but Larry is underrated in that department anyway, particularly his help and post defense.

You quite clearly have never seen Larry play, what's the point?

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Yes, he can.

K Xerxes
06-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Bird gets the edge over Lebron on mentality alone. This is coming from a guy that thinks he's an era specific player too.

I hope you get banned soon. 'Era specific player' my ass.

Dragonyeuw
Wait a minute..... a 35 year old Bird put up 20,10, and 7( rounded averages) on 47% shooting, 40% 3point shooting.....in 1992 with a broken back....and he's era specific? Were players in the early 90's a bunch of geriatrics or something?

Le Shaqtus
Definitely wouldn't win MVP since he's worse than LeBron. He would be battling with Durant for #2 player in the league. There would be a massive gap between LeBron and Bird.

Funny guy :lol

Raymone
Yes, he can.

Does he have muscles like LeBron? I don't think so. Case rested.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Compare their attributes and Bird is a better shooter (in all regards), rebounder and passer than LeBron. LeBron is a better defender, but Larry is underrated in that department anyway, particularly his help and post defense.

You quite clearly have never seen Larry play, what's the point?

Kblaze8855
He doesnt know it but im likely keeping him from being banned right now.

2010splash
Bird gets the edge over Lebron on mentality alone. This is coming from a guy that thinks he's an era specific player too.
Bird is nowhere near LeBron. His advanced stats suck compared to LeBron's and he's a much worse defensive player. It's like saying peak Kobe is better than peak Shaq or peak Jordan. Just ridiculous.

dh144498
06-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Does he have muscles like LeBron? I don't think so. Case rested.

:biggums:

CavaliersFTW
06-03-2013, 02:44 PM
oh brother... here we go, another gem from the class of April 2013 :facepalm

ReturnofJPR
06-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Kblaze really could have dropped some knowledge in this thread but he let his personal hatred get in the way...in short, Bird would be the best player in the NBA today if he was in his prime.

Trollsmasher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUlpUkPMLA
That defense:facepalm

9erempiree
He doesnt know it but im likely keeping him from being banned right now.

Jeff should ban you for altering people's post. Who knows how many times you have done this.

Abusing your power to win arguments:facepalm

Pretty sad.

dh144498
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I already made a thread about this a week ago or so:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300938

check it out. Just about everyone except for lebron stans said Larry Bird was better, talking about prime of course.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Kblaze really could have dropped some knowledge in this thread but he let his personal hatred get in the way...in short, Bird would be the best player in the NBA today if he was in his prime.

I don't think he has any knowledge of this topic really.

yes, he hates me.

K Xerxes
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Bird is nowhere near LeBron. His advanced stats suck compared to LeBron's and he's a much worse defensive player. It's like saying peak Kobe is better than peak Shaq or peak Jordan. Just ridiculous.

Just worry about how the Heat and your King do today, okay? Hopefully he gives you all the advanced stats you want. :lol

Raymone
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM

This. When we look back in 20 years, are we going to remember the insignificant outcomes of some finals series or are we going to remember the incredibly dominant advanced stats?

NumberSix
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Wait a minute..... a 35 year old Bird put up 20,10, and 7( rounded averages) on 47% shooting, 40% 3point shooting.....in 1992 with a broken back....and he's era specific? Were players in the early 90's a bunch of geriatrics or something?
He broke his back. His back was broken. Spinal.

CavaliersFTW
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAK1i-o2wI

shattered back, in the 90's, 35 years old.... scores more points than Lebron's 2013 season high :oldlol:

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Let's see here....we have guys like Hornacek and Majerle starting as SG's in the 90's. No surprise that Bird can do that.

BoutPractice
06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
So Jordan is era specific too?

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAK1i-o2wI

shattered back, in the 90's, 35 years old.... scores more points than Lebron's 2013 season high :oldlol:

Let's not get carried away here. A man with a shattered back is not going to be playing basketball or walking.

He had a bad back but let's not act like he was playing with a shattered one.

As outrageous as many think I am, for calling Bird an era specific player, does not compare to the crazy things people say about him. Shattered back?

Kblaze8855

Im done explaining matters of common sense to people making an active effort to make this place worse.

Dude is about to destroy the last of my patience.

Being nice doesnt get things done.

Starting to understand why RMWG and others just deletes so many peoples topics/posts on sight. IT really is for the best.

My "explain the obvious errors" plan is not helping. removing the people in question would.

Trollsmasher
"expansion" era
"Lakers and Celtics are done" era

tpols
06-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Bird actually makes his teammates better and can elevate his teams to dynasty levels. Bird is also aggressive, intelligent, cold blooded, and can bury you at will. Lebron would get completely outclassed in a series with Larry Legend. He would absolutely murk him.

Clifton
06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Durant's scoring, with Jason Kidd's passing, defense, and playmaking.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Im done explaining matters of common sense to people making an active effort to make this place worse.

Starting to understand why RMWG and others just deletes so many peoples topics/posts on sight. IT really is for the best.

My "explain the obvious errors" plan is not helping. removing the people in question would.

Stick to moderating.

You have lost touch with ISH and no longer considered an active poster on this site.

Leave people's opinion alone. This isn't 2006 anymore.

ReturnofJPR
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM

I understand and look forward to you making one of your epics posts soon...

2010splash
06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Bird actually makes his teammates better and can elevate his teams to dynasty levels. Bird is also aggressive, intelligent, cold blooded, and can bury you at will. Lebron would get completely outclassed in a series with Larry Legend. He would absolutely murk him.
Definitely not. Bird was a one-way player who needed filthy stacked teams to contend. He would get exposed trying to carry a team like LeBron's awful Cavs for 7 years. LeBron would utterly destroy Bird and tear him a new one. Way too physically dominant for Bird to handle.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM

It depends who you ask. Even though I think MJ can play in any era there are arguments that he was an era specific player due to the players that were SG's in the league. Especially in the 90's.

These were the top 5 guards in that era:

MJ
Starks
Hornacek
Mitch Richmond
Reggie Miller

Dragonyeuw
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Let's see here....we have guys like Hornacek and Majerle starting as SG's in the 90's. No surprise that Bird can do that.

And we have a 37 year old Duncan who's first team all-NBA, and Steve Nash who until 2 seasons ago, at 37, was still a top 5-6 point guard. Paul Pierce still putting up 19-20 ppg at 35 years old and who moves sometimes like molasses running uphill........all in today's era of 'superior' athletes. Superior skill isn't era specific.

Dragonyeuw
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
It depends who you ask. Even though I think MJ can play in any era there are arguments that he was an era specific player due to the players that were SG's in the league. Especially in the 90's.

MJ
Starks
Hornacek
Mitch Richmond
Reggie Miller

Clyde Drexler? Mitch Richmond in today's era wouldn't be worse than Joe Johnson who was considered top 5 shooting guard 5 years ago. Drexler isn't any worse than Vince Carter. In prime MJ, you're talking the very best aspects of today's great perimeter players in one package: midrange( Kobe), slashing( Wade), finishing( Lebron). In one package, not split across multiple players. Hell, Jordan at 40 was still able to drive to the rim, not at peak levels, but he was still crafty enough to pick his spots and find seams in the defense. And there's doubt about what he'd do in this era?!

tpols
06-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Definitely not. Bird was a one-way player who needed filthy stacked teams to contend. He would get exposed trying to carry a team like LeBron's awful Cavs for 7 years. LeBron would utterly destroy Bird and tear him a new one. Way too physically dominant for Bird to handle.
Bird would make Bosh a 20/10 player with his passing and facilitating, key word, he would hit Bosh in his spots, talk him up, build real chemistry and make him better than he is. Same thing with Wade...

Thered be actual off the ball movement, cuts, passing, hockey assists, and in the fourth Larry would take over after building his teams confidence all game with his overall play.. instead of deferring to them after leaving them in corners all game long spot up shooting with diminished confidence like lebron does.

dh144498
06-03-2013, 03:06 PM

MJ
Starks
Hornacek
Mitch Richmond
Reggie Miller

:biggums:

Drexler?

Nashty
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
85-88 Larry Bird would be the best player in the league along with James and Durant.

senelcoolidge
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't think Bird is a era specific player. I said that he played at the perfect time for himself because of the tougher play. Sure players today are more athletic, but it's really not a better league. I think Bird would be the best player in the league today especially with the current leagues rules.

OldSchoolBBall
06-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Easily MVP level. Best player in the game imo, but top 2 at a minimum no question.

2010splash
06-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Bird would make Bosh a 20/10 player with his passing and facilitating, key word, he would hit Bosh in his spots, talk him up, build real chemistry and make him better than he is. Same thing with Wade...

Thered be actual off the ball movement, cuts, passing, hockey assists, and in the fourth Larry would take over after building his teams confidence all game with his overall play.. instead of deferring to them after leaving them in corners all game long spot up shooting with diminished confidence like lebron does.
Nope. Bird would make a team with Wade/Bosh far worse than they'd be with LeBron. Also, Bird was a worse passer than LeBron so there's no way in hell he makes Bosh a 20/10 player. And the best part of your idiotic post is that you imply that Bird's presence on the floor suddenly turns Bosh from a 7 rpg player who is averaging less than 4 rpg this series into a 10 rpg player. What, is Bird able to cast some magic spell that dramatically improves Bosh's rebounding compared to what it is now?

Wade and Bosh have no one to blame but themselves and their injuries for their struggles. They've proven they can be dominant even with LeBron (Bosh 2011 ECF vs. Chicago, Wade 2011 Finals vs. Mavs and Game 4 and Game 7 vs Pacers last year) but they are struggling now and it's their own fault. That is when having someone like LeBron who is dominant every series is necessary. He takes the pressure off of Wade/Bosh by bailing them out when they are injured (last year and this year's playoffs). Bird would need a dominant frontline like McHale/Parish to even stand a chance. Plus his defense is pretty useless too. He can't shut down the other team's best player or guard 5 positions like LeBron.

ReturnofJPR
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
^ Bird wouldn't put up with Bosh's or Wade's primadonna antics. Do you think Robert Parrish or Kevin McHale would either? That is the HEAT's problem. Their leader is an overgrown 12 year old. Bron's mentality and lack of leadership will always be his weakness when looking back at his legacy.

dh144498
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Nope. Bird would make a team with Wade/Bosh far worse than they'd be with LeBron. Also, Bird was a worse passer than LeBron so there's no way in hell he makes Bosh a 20/10 player. And the best part of your idiotic post is that you imply that Bird's presence on the floor suddenly turns Bosh from a 7 rpg player who is averaging less than 4 rpg this series into a 10 rpg player. What, is Bird able to cast some magic spell that dramatically improves Bosh's rebounding compared to what it is now?

Wade and Bosh have no one to blame but themselves and their injuries for their struggles. They've proven they can be dominant even with LeBron (Bosh 2011 ECF vs. Chicago, Wade 2011 Finals vs. Mavs and Game 4 and Game 7 vs Pacers last year) but they are struggling now and it's their own fault. That is when having someone like LeBron who is dominant every series is necessary. He takes the pressure off of Wade/Bosh by bailing them out when they are injured (last year and this year's playoffs). Bird would need a dominant frontline like McHale/Parish to even stand a chance. Plus his defense is pretty useless too. He can't shut down the other team's best player or guard 5 positions like LeBron.

:lol :oldlol:
:roll:

Larry Bird doesn't need to be ball dominant to dominate a game, opposite of Lebron. Lebron does not know how to play off the ball.
Bird can let Wade be the main ball handler and both him and Bosh would just get theirs.

Trollsmasher
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM

If Bird made Bosh rebound the ball, he would truly be the best.

tpols
06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
^ Bird wouldn't put up with Bosh's or Wade's primadonna antics. Do you think Robert Parrish or Kevin McHale would either? That is the HEAT's problem. Their leader is an overgrown 12 year old. Bron's mentality and lack of leadership will always be his weakness when looking back at his legacy.
Yup.. 2010 splash' understanding of bball is backwards.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Say Larry Bird from 84-86 was in todays game. what would he be?

MVP level? No
1st team? No
2nd team? No
All star? Yes, reserve.
Starter? Depends what team.
Bench player? Very likely.
last guy on the bench? No

Since my answer regarding the topic was altered. Again, in bold, is my answer.

tpols
06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
If Bird made Bosh rebound the ball, he would truly be the best.
Bosh averaged 19/9 with Bron in their first year when they actually featured all three players in the big three.. Larry would never dominate the ball like Lebron has done more and more as the trio have been together. Hed always work it into Bosh to start off the games and get his ryhtym going so theyd be on the same page offensively and that chemistry would translate into a more confident game for Bosh all around.

Larry wouldnt need Bosh tucked into a corner on offense because he could score from anywhere on the court and was used to dealing with a packed lane.

He would make the whole offense flow seamlessly and would bolster the Heats interior rebounding. They would be a much better team in the playoffs with Bird no doubt.

Rekindled
06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
peak bird was a top 3 player ever. won 3 straight mvp in an era with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Isiah, King, Barkley, Dream, Worthy, etc..

avearged about 30/10/9 with 50/40/90 over 4 year span

9erempiree
I dislike Lebron but would the Lebron haters please stop hyping up Larry Bird because of your hate for Lebron.

Bird isn't going to do this or that to make Miami, Wade and Bosh better.

They already are a championship team and a better team than Bird's Celtics.

:facepalm

CavaliersFTW
Bosh averaged 19/9 with Bron in their first year when they actually featured all three players in the big three.. Larry would never dominate the ball like Lebron has done more and more as the trio have been together. Hed always work it into Bosh to start off the games and get his ryhtym going so theyd be on the same page offensively and that chemistry would translate into a more confident game for Bosh all around.

Larry wouldnt need Bosh tucked into a corner on offense because he could score from anywhere on the court and was used to dealing with a packed lane.

He would make the whole offense flow seamlessly and would bolster the Heats interior rebounding. They would be a much better team in the playoffs with Bird no doubt.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

diamenz
06-03-2013, 03:31 PM
if bird is era specific, then so is everybody that plays today. don't act like it doesn't work both ways. that being said, bird could adapt to today's play and players of today can adapt to yesterday's play. just because he's not black and uber athletic doesn't mean he can't dominate.

there's nothing but a bunch of right fighting naive children on this forum.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
peak bird was a top 3 player ever. won 3 straight mvp in an era with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Isiah, King, Barkley, Dream, Worthy, etc..

avearged about 30/10/9 with 50/40/90 over 4 year span

no he didn't.

he only did for two years consecutively.

Again, more false facts about Larry.:facepalm

CavaliersFTW
06-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I dislike Lebron but would the Lebron haters please stop hyping up Larry Bird because of your hate for Lebron.

Bird isn't going to do this or that to make Miami, Wade and Bosh better.

They already are a championship team and a better team than Bird's Celtics.

:facepalm
'86 Celtics front court would ABUSE the Heat are u kidding me? :oldlol:

ReturnofJPR
06-03-2013, 03:35 PM
This is what Robert Parrish told Jordan at a Bulls' practice during their 2nd 3-Peat run:

[QUOTE]McHale and Bird finished their careers as Celtics, but people often forget that Parrish spent two years in Charlotte then went on to the 1996-97 Chicago Bulls

BoutPractice
06-03-2013, 03:36 PM
tpols > I agree with your assessment of Bird as a player but I think you underestimate coaching and team building. The presence of Bird itself wouldn't magically lead to "more off the ball movement, cuts, passing, hockey assists", etc. Bird can only do his part, he can't play for the others as well.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
tpols > I agree with your assessment of Bird as a player but I think you underestimate coaching and team building. The presence of Bird itself wouldn't magically lead to "more off the ball movement, cuts, passing, hockey assists", etc. Bird can only do his part, he can't play for the others as well.

this.

People acting like Bird plays all 5 positions at the same time.

Odinn
06-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Arguably, the best player in the league.

unbreakable
06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
he'd be with LeBron and kobe as the faces of the league..

easily above Durant and melo... easily

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
1x ROTY
5x MVPs in a row
6x FMVPs

-only PERIMETER player to shoot 60%FG ever! (Bird will do this 3x). :bowdown:

-only the 2nd player since BIG O to ave 30+/10+/10+ for a season. :bowdown:

-Bird's peak prime will result in ave 31+/11+/10+ for 5 seasons. :bowdown:

we'll all be sitting here saying.

who is the GOAT. Bird or Jordan?

MJ stans will be all over bird for not having DPOY & SPG titles. & how MJ is better because MJ was terrific defensive player.

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Arguably, the best player in the league.

the correct word is "defnitely"

2010splash
06-03-2013, 04:18 PM
:lol :oldlol:
:roll:

Larry Bird doesn't need to be ball dominant to dominate a game, opposite of Lebron. Lebron does not know how to play off the ball.
Bird can let Wade be the main ball handler and both him and Bosh would just get theirs.
Wade did just fine and "got his" in 2011 when he was healthy. He and Bosh would do no better with Bird than they're doing now because they are clearly hampered by their injuries. Thus it comes down to picking the better and more dominant player, where LeBron easily beats out Bird. Not to mention how much the Heat would suffer on defense if they replaced a stiff like Bird who is only elite on offense over LeBron. The Heat would go from being elite defensively to below average.

stanlove1111
06-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Not sure why people have such strong opinions on this. Its hard to say..

I think its silly that old timers refuse to admit the game has evolved. Defenses today are much better then in Bird's time.

But Bird was so good there is a chance that he could still excel today..Its hard to say..But I always think its stupid to just ask if Bird from 84-86 could be the best today or could the Lakers of 72 beat the Heat. The real question is could Bird if he was born in 1988 and grew up with todays training and style be able to dominate today, or could the 72 Lakers if were raised with todays basketball be able to dominate today..

NBAller
06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
he would be a prime larry bird.

stanlove1111
06-03-2013, 04:20 PM
1x ROTY
5x MVPs in a row
6x FMVPs

-only PERIMETER player to shoot 60%FG ever! (Bird will do this 3x). :bowdown:

-only the 2nd player since BIG O to ave 30+/10+/10+ for a season. :bowdown:

-Bird's peak prime will result in ave 31+/11+/10+ for 5 seasons. :bowdown:

we'll all be sitting here saying.

who is the GOAT. Bird or Jordan?

MJ stans will be all over bird for not having DPOY & SPG titles. & how MJ is better because MJ was terrific defensive player.

Rediculous. Anyone who thinks the NBA and basketball has regressed is a clown..

2010splash
06-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Based on what? Can he wave his magic wand and cure Wade/Bosh of their injuries and force them to play better? You and tpols are getting destroyed in this thread when your best argument is along the lines of "Bird wouldn't tolerate Wade and Bosh playing like this.":roll: Right... like Bird has any control over it.

Bird would also get straight up abused on defense. If the Heat had Bird instead of LeBron, Indiana would have won this series already. Bird overraters need to remember that there's two sides to the game of basketball. LeBron has a tremendous impact on both ends. Bird only meaningfully impacts one.

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Rediculous. Anyone who thinks the NBA and basketball has regressed is a clown..

Nash has 2 MVPs. :lol
Nowitzki has 1 MVP. :lol
Rose has 1 MVP. :lol :roll:
Iverson has 1 MVP. :lol :roll:

Isiah has NONE.
Drexler has NONE.
Stockton has NONE.
Payton has NONE.

AlphaWolf24
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Just Curious..

Why does Larry Bird cause so many people to catch Feelings?...

not only here...but many other MB also.....It's like Larry Bird is " off limits"...

I mean I know he is a legend...I grew up watching him....

- but countless players get bashed daily...MJ,Kobe,Bron etc....yet,
when it comes to Larry....he's "off limits" to so many people...

again, I'm not talking about just here...

- Bird was a great player......but....hugely Overrated by the fans online.....If Lebron only scored 8 points in back 2 back Finals games he would be made fun of to no end...

but if youmake a thread about Bird doing it ( because he did) it becomes Banworthy.:lol

F'ing stans

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Just Curious..

not only here...but many other MB also.....It's like Larry Bird is " off limits"...

- Bird was a great player......but....hugely Overrated by the fans online.....If Lebron only scored 8 points in back 2 back Finals games he would be made fun of to no end...

but if youmake a thread about Bird doing it ( because he did) it becomes Banworthy.:lol

F'ing stans

Good thoughts Kobe'tards!

There is a reason why Larry is called a "LEGEND"

Bird showed the world the following....

-athleticism is hugely OVERRATED!

-being African-American to play ball is hugely OVERRATED!

-ball hogging, chucking is hugely OVERRATED!

-having muscular physique to be physical is hugely OVERRATED!

-biggest muscle is NOT btw player's thighs but between both ears!

-scoring is hugely OVERRATED!

-dunking is OVERRATED!

-Fancy ball handling & dribble is hugely OVERRATED!

-Fashion is OVERRATED.

-long baggy shorts are hugely OVERRATED.

-wearing baggy shorts on top of underwear is hugely OVERRATED.

-shaving mustache is hugely OVERRATED.

-GOAT jordan is OVERRATED.

-GOAT Magic is OVERRATED.

-Bad Boys Pistons are hugely OVERRATED.

U r welcome!

DMAVS41
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
If it's peak Bird. Definitely better than Durant and right there battling Lebron for best player in the game.

AlphaWolf24
06-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Good thoughts Kobe'tards!

There is a reason why Larry is called a "LEGEND"

Bird showed the world the following....

-athleticism is hugely OVERRATED!

-being African-American to play ball is hugely OVERRATED!

-ball hogging, chucking is hugely OVERRATED!

-having muscular physique to be physical is hugely OVERRATED!

-biggest muscle is NOT btw player's thighs but between both ears!

-scoring is hugely OVERRATED!

-dunking is OVERRATED!

-Fancy ball handling & dribble is hugely OVERRATED!

-Fashion is OVERRATED.

-GOAT jordan is OVERRATED.

-GOAT Magic is OVERRATED.

-Bad Boys Pistons are hugely OVERRATED.

U r welcome!

:lol

(will rep)

97 bulls
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Just Curious..

F'ing stans
Wow. Great post. Ive been saying the same thing for the longest. For some reason, Bird is looked at as immortal.

arifgokcen
06-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Just Curious..

F'ing stans
probably because he is white

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 06:38 PM
I agree, don't know why Bird can't be talked about.

They get all mad when I say he's an era specific player.

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Bird is off limits. :no:

you've been warned. :mad:

please take it seriously.

He is a top 5 GOATs ever.

He is GOAT as a player.

He is GOAT as a Head Coach. (took IND to two finals in just 3 yrs as head coach in NBA's toughest era)

He is GOAT as GM. (Bird "built" not "Bought" IND is about to knock off LBJ in Game 7)

compare this to Jordan as Bobcat owner. :lol :lol :roll:

PrettyCool
06-03-2013, 06:42 PM
somewhat easily the best player in the game.

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 06:43 PM
somewhat easily the best player in the game.

GOAT as player. (keep lid on jordan, Bad boys)

GOAT as IND head coach. (compare this to Magic's coaching stint)

GOAT as GM. (compare that to bobcat MJ. :lol :roll:

knickballer
06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Bird dominated in an era with MJ, Magic and other greats. I don't see why he won't be able to dominate today.

It will be like people saying prime Dirk won't be able to dominate in 2030 due to the "Modern Athlete"

Bird would basically be a more complete Durant which is scary.

gengiskhan
06-03-2013, 06:49 PM

Jordan asked numerous time in the interviews the first player he would pick to make his own team.

MJ always answered without any hesitation: "LARRY BIRD"

Bird was a stone cold ruthless assassin as they come. tough as a nail. brutal. but on the outside, just another nice & well cultured white guy on the floor!

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Questions that need to be asked:

Can Bird get a roster spot in today's league?

Does he even get drafted?

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Jordan asked numerous time in the interviews the first player he would pick to make his own team.

Bird was a stone cold ruthless assassin as they come. tough as a nail. brutal. but on the outside, just another nice & well cultured white guy on the floor!

That was MJ being politically correct.

Like when I was at a BBQ and the topic of basketball comes up....I say Larry Bird too. It depends on what kind of people you are around.

knickballer
06-03-2013, 06:52 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol:

inclinerator
the best player in the game, lebron is close to him but larry's jumper and no ball dominance seperates them

Kblaze8855
I think this topic has embarrassed ISH enough.