PDA

View Full Version : Athletes signing autographs..

ripthekik
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Anyone here actually got an NBA player to sign anything for them? It's a good way to see if they're nice people or assholes.. I've heard of certain players who tries to sign as much as possible (Durant) and others who rarely sign.

Here's a few videos of fans trying to get signatures from famous players

Kobe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYJNacqn0qo

Lebron:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyc806V8Hq4

D-Rose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Nrp-_NMl8

feel free to share other videos

TylerOO
06-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Ive never asked or wanted a signature in my life. I don't get it. Whats so great about having something with an athletes signature. What am I gonna do with it? Just stare at it?

NumberSix
06-03-2013, 02:38 PM
You have a very unhealthy obsession.

ripthekik
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Ive never asked or wanted a signature in my life. I don't get it. Whats so great about having something with an athletes signature. What am I gonna do with it? Just stare at it?
Just something to collect I guess. We watch so much of these players, it's a special feeling to have it. But I agree.. if I have one, it'll be most likely so that I can show my friends and be proud of it.

my man AI doesn't disappoint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgqO1BUwoBU

TheMarkMadsen
06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Man kingwillball really wanted that autograph from Lebron

Did you here him say "please Lebron I suck your dick on ISH"

Dagouch
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
You should do the All Star Jam session if if come to your town. Went to the one in Orlando for all star weekend.

Was there only on Saturday but got Autographs from Andre Iguodola, Blake Griffin,, LaMarcus Aldridge and John Starks.

Missed Howard and the Day before Melo, CP3 and others were there.

Best part is the activities at the convention center. I did decent in the 3point shooting and various things going on.

ripthekik
06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
You should do the All Star Jam session if if come to your town. Went to the one in Orlando for all star weekend.

Was there only on Saturday but got Autographs from Andre Iguodola, Blake Griffin,, LaMarcus Aldridge and John Starks.

Missed Howard and the Day before Melo, CP3 and others were there.

Best part is the activities at the convention center. I did decent in the 3point shooting and various things going on.
sounds awesome :cheers:

Dagouch
06-03-2013, 02:59 PM
sounds awesome :cheers:

it's mad fun bro. Probably taking my son again to New Orleans next year or if not in NYC the following year.

lakersfan2046
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Anyone here actually got an NBA player to sign anything for them? It's a good way to see if they're nice people or assholes.. I've heard of certain players who tries to sign as much as possible (Durant) and others who rarely sign.

Here's a few videos of fans trying to get signatures from famous players

Kobe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYJNacqn0qo

Lebron:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyc806V8Hq4

D-Rose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Nrp-_NMl8

feel free to share other videos

I have never asked for one myself but I have seen almost all the superstars interaction with fans asking for autographs. You are absolutely right that Kevin Durant is an angel. He will sign an autograph for anyone regardless of how tired he is. Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh are absolute *****. Lebron James is the one who surprised me the most. I expected him to be horrible but he turned out to be quite amenable. As long as he did not have a bad game, Lebron will stop and sign autographs and take pictures. He will even answer dumb questions.

Generally speaking, my observation has been that most players don't sign autographs after bad games except for a few very nice guys (Durant and Pau Gasol) but even players who have a reputation as good guys will not be signing autographs if they stunk it up

Vienceslav
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't get the obsession with autographs, I really don't, taking a photo with the guy makes more sense on the other hand it's even more intrusive.
If I saw one of those guys I'd maybe say 'Hi' very awkwardly and continue with my day.:lol

LBJ 23
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh are absolute *****. Lebron James is the one who surprised me the most. I expected him to be horrible but he turned out to be quite amenable. As long as he did not have a bad game, Lebron will stop and sign autographs and take pictures. He will even answer dumb questions.

You weren't supposed to write this in this thread

ispin69
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Never understood it. Sure they want fans to be happy and continue stanning but it's stupid from a business perspective. You waste time and if you are fair you would have to sign millions of autographs. What do fans do with these? Many of them sell them to profit from an autographed item. Sure some keep them forever but again it's stupid business. Their time is money at least more than ever in their prime days.

They go from city to city to city, practice to game to hotel. Then they get bombarded every time they're out eating dinner to take photos and sign stuff. If you really want it, I'm sure you can buy them. Companies have them sit for a whole day just signing stuff. Stalking stars, harassing them on their daily trying to get a freebie is lame.

lakersfan2046
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
You weren't supposed to write this in this thread

Sorry. :hammerhead:

I guess you guys have new standards

ripthekik
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
I have never asked for one myself but I have seen almost all the superstars interaction with fans asking for autographs. You are absolutely right that Kevin Durant is an angel. He will sign an autograph for anyone regardless of how tired he is. Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh are absolute *****. Lebron James is the one who surprised me the most. I expected him to be horrible but he turned out to be quite amenable. As long as he did not have a bad game, Lebron will stop and sign autographs and take pictures. He will even answer dumb questions.

Generally speaking, my observation has been that most players don't sign autographs after bad games except for a few very nice guys (Durant and Pau Gasol) but even players who have a reputation as good guys will not be signing autographs if they stunk it up
That's very interesting. Was this after the games or near the hotels? For the megastars I could understand a little, it's been years and years of fans shouting at them and begging everyday, but I thought someone like Chris Bosh would be more friendly and willing. I saw another video of many heat role players (before decision) all signing and I thought that was pretty cool.

Kblaze8855
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
George gervin signed my ball and took a jumper with it in the 80s. I still have it.

Kblaze8855
06-03-2013, 03:19 PM
And nicest NBA player I ever met was BJ Armstrong.

Unless you count Clyde Mayes who was a family friend and player in the late 70s.

lakersfan2046
06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
That's very interesting. Was this after the games or near the hotels? For the megastars I could understand a little, it's been years and years of fans shouting at them and begging everyday, but I thought someone like Chris Bosh would be more friendly and willing. I saw another video of many heat role players (before decision) all signing and I thought that was pretty cool.

This is after games. I think it is rude to approach those guys at a hotel. I don't have much experience with talking to NBA players outside of arenas except for one time my boy and I ran into Jermaine O'neal at a restaurant bar. We said hi and could not believe how much he was willing to talk to us. He pretty much started the conversation. I am sure the fact we were the only three black people in the bar might have had something to do with it :lol :lol

nightprowler10
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I have an autographed bball from Ron Artest from when he was a bull. He couldn't spell my name so I spelled it out for him and he still ****ed it up.

Peteballa
06-03-2013, 03:40 PM
I have Pat Riley's autograph.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/11/114666/2957629-pat_riley_oj_mayo.png

ripthekik
06-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I have an autographed bball from Ron Artest from when he was a bull. He couldn't spell my name so I spelled it out for him and he still ****ed it up.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

TonyMontana
06-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Me and some of my buddies had breakfast with Bobby Jones All NBA defensive player for the 6ers in 70s/80s when I was in high school. He was known as a really nice guy and the reputation didn't disappoint. He gave me tips on playing defense and signed all my shit while taking pics with the group.

Also met some NFL guys, but it was in the gym so I just shook their hand and told them whats up.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I've noticed NBA players are generally more friendly than NFL players. Or for me they have been.

buddha
06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

For every stan who actually wants an autograph for fap material there is 10 middle aged white dudes trying to get an autograph so they can turn around and sell it to make it a quick buck. whitepeople:facepalm

Scholar
06-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I've never had an opportunity to ask for an autograph from an athlete, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't depending on the circumstances.
I have taken a pic with Gary Payton, though. He was nice but didn't talk much since he was leaving the arena with 2-3 of his friends.

I<3NBA
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
some players have contracts forbidding them to sign autographs unless it's a sanctioned event, like a sponsored event or something. most fans who wait after games asking for autographs are professionall autographs sellers anyway.

a player who rarely signs autographs raises the value of their autographs and vice-versa. so you can see from a business pov why it pays to sign only on sanctioned signing sessions.

9erempiree
06-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Lebron is a joke. There were like only 3 dudes that wanted his sig.

SCdac
06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
mentioned it before but almost 2 years ago David Robinson signed the macbook pro I'm using. He came in to the coffee shop I work at, was really cool. we talked for 20 minutes at least

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/IMG_3769.jpg

bmd
06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I don't idolize other human beings, so autographs are silly to me. They are just our peers the same as any other guy. It is weird for a grown man to ask another grown man for his autograph. Plus some of them just want to sell it.

If I was a player, I would only sign autographs for kids.

#number6ix#
06-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Rip you gotta ease up with the Lebron obsession bro... Relax start a agenda free thread for once... ISH is praying for you

KungFuJoe
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
mentioned it before but almost 2 years ago David Robinson signed the macbook pro I'm using. He came in to the coffee shop I work at, was really cool. we talked for 20 minutes at least

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/IMG_3769.jpg

You done ****ed up your resale value, son!

Simple Jack
06-03-2013, 11:01 PM
LOL ripthekikk is in need of medication. Dude's batshit crazy

Myth
06-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Got a decent amount as a kid, mostly from players on my Blazers in the old Memorial Coliseum. When the Rose Garden was built, there wasn't a good spot for fans to be and get autographs. Then I got some a few years in a row at fan nights in Portland. Got Oden's autograph a couple of times (once when he was introduced to Portland and once at an event of his where I also got to play him at Guitar Hero). Last time I got an autograph was during the lockout when Aldridge hosted a charity basketball game and got a ton, with the best one being Durant's. I don't go signature chasing unless the venue is set up as a PR thing so players are expecting to get autographs. I prefer pictures with NBA players though. I think it was Jamal Crawford who told me he doesn't do autographs (he implied because he doesn't want to see people getting them just to sell them) but does do pictures with fans (because he knows they will cherish that for themselves and it holds no monetary value).