PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek vs Star Wars

plowking
06-05-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm not exactly a huge fan of either, well at least until recently with the new Star Trek movies, but which do most of you consider to be the better of the two?
I've personally never enjoyed Star Wars or Star Trek when it comes to the old material, but after watching the 2009 and the recent Star Trek movies, I've really come to like it. What do old Trek fans think of the new movies, and Star Wars fans about the newest 3? Also how do the latest Star Trek movies stack up against the Star Wars new trilogy and old?

TheReal Kendall
06-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I like Star Wars better

Qwyjibo
06-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Overall, I prefer Star Trek. A big part of that is that there has simply been far more of the Star Trek franchise to experience. The peaks of each series IMO, have been TNG/DS9 on TV for Star Trek and obviously the original trilogy for Star Wars. It's a personal preference though and I prefer the science fiction stories of Star Trek over the fantasy of Star Wars.

What do old Trek fans think of the new movies, and Star Wars fans about the newest 3?
I liked the 2009 Star Trek movie. It was simply fun. No deep messages or philosophy that you would find in some of the TV series but it was goofy action done well. Into Darkness strayed too far into brainless action for me though. It just one action sequence and explosion after another very loosely tied together with a stupid story.

I hated all 3 new Star Wars movies with the Phantom Menace being the least sucky of the three.

lso how do the latest Star Trek movies stack up against the Star Wars new trilogy and old?
In order from awesome to pure shit:
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Star Trek (2009)
<huge gap>
5. Into Darkness
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Revenge of the Sith
<gigantic gap>
8. Attack of the Clones

PHX_Phan
06-05-2013, 01:28 AM
The new Star Wars movies are garbage. Not even good movies, much less stacking up to the original three.

Can't really comment on Star Trek since I never got into the TV series, but I thought the 2009 movie was pretty good.

plowking
06-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Qwyjibo, I personally preferred the second of the Star Trek's. Felt like the villains were far more involved, and actually had somewhat of a character development arc.

I tried watching all the Star Wars since my friend said I'd eventually learn to love it, but I felt the movies were too drawn out and could in fact be a bit more concise. Had some great action scenes though, no doubt.

Patrick Chewing
06-05-2013, 01:48 AM
To me, the Star Trek movies have all been better than the Star Wars ones.

PullupJay
06-05-2013, 01:51 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/466/626/c18.gif

Psycho
06-05-2013, 01:56 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/466/626/c18.gif

Your erection betrays you.

Bucket_Nakedz
06-05-2013, 02:46 AM
trek, easily. i despise star wars with a passion.

KingBeasley08
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm a Star Wars dude although the last 2 Trek movies are the only Star Trek related things I've seen

Rameek
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Qwyjibo you did not include any of these in your list although I know what was in question was old Star War movies.

I would be curious how you would rank all the movies.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness

Personally I dont think they are the same or even really relate. The Star Trek series had a TV foundation and cult following. That expanded to cinema. Sci-Fi based on space exploration and the Federation didnt have WAR SHIPS so they always had to use cunning and the enemies arrogance against them.

I wont lie Star Wars jumped on the scene and it was Sci-Fi Fantasy about Universe war of Good and Evil. I think the impression from the first movie was cataclysmic and dominating. Star Trek initial movie didnt have that shock and awe.

So the individuals not old enough to have seen Star Trek 2 original TV series but fell into the Star Wars usually will side for the Star Wars. But generally they are seen as different. But Star Wars had hype and promotion and "where were you affect".

THe Wrath of Khan is probably best of all the movies. Star Wars EP IV had the everlasting Impression.

As you reflect and watch the movies over again Star Wars looked cheesy and Star Trek was safe almost a little korny.

You want some fun throw the Original Alien Series in this and now we have a good discussion and debate. Alien made a brother have NIGHTMARES.

rufuspaul
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
In order from awesome to pure shit:
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Star Trek (2009)
<huge gap>
5. Into Darkness
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Revenge of the Sith
<gigantic gap>
8. Attack of the Clones

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/rufuspaul/kirk-khan__zps49b3f703.jpg

Qwyjibo
06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
The Star Trek series had a TV foundation
My preference of Star Trek is mostly rooted in this. There was just so much top-quality material over the course of 7 seasons (each) of TNG and especially DS9. I enjoyed TOS as well btw. The excellent drawn out story and character development of DS9 is not something you can replicate in a 2 hour movie. If we're looking at just feature films alone then the original Star Wars trilogy bests anything Star Trek has done.

When it comes to all of those Star Trek movies, my preference is:

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. The Undiscovered Country
3. First Contact
4. The Voyage Home
5. The Search for Spock
6. Star Trek (2009)
7. The Motion Picture
8. Into Darkness
9. Insurrection
10. Generations
11. The Final Frontier
12. Nemesis

JohnnySic
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Never could get into Star Wars. Star Trek is good; the Wrath of Khan is a great movie.

Nanners
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
star trek and its not even close

embersyc
06-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I would rank as follows:

1. Original Star Wars Episode 4-6
2. New Star Trek Movies
3. Original cast Star Trek Movies
MIND THE GAP
4. Star Trek TNG Movies
Huge Gap
5. Star Wars Prequels.

Myth
06-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Star Wars V
Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
Star Wars IV
Star Trek (2009)
Star Trek: 1st Contact
Star Wars III
Star Wars VI
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Wars II
Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home
Star Wars I
Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier

When you add in the shows, Star Trek wins for me.

Patrick Chewing
06-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Star Wars V
Star Wars IV
Star Trek (2009)
Star Wars III
Star Wars VI
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Wars II
Star Wars I
Star Trek Generations

Good list, bro. Glad you broke it down like that :applause:

bdreason
06-06-2013, 04:39 AM
My head says Star Trek, but my heart says Star Wars. I think it's the music.

sundizz
06-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Star Wars >>>>>>> Star Trek as a concept. There are some amazing amazing Star Wars book. The Bane trilogy was one of the best set of books I've read. Engaging through and through. The recent Star Trek movies are much better than the recent Star Wars movies though. Old Star Wars movies were better than the old Star Trek movies.

goldenryan
06-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I gotta go with Trek although i've only watched the original series and he 2009 movie. Phantom Menace was such garbage, that movie had soo much hype if only it was just decent it would've been the highest grossing movie of all time.

Dragonyeuw
06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I like the recent Star Trek movies in terms of entertainment, but not as 'Star Trek' films. They're straying farther and farther from the philosophical and contemporary issues( of the day) that the older shows tackled and going more for straight action starting with the 2009 reboot.

As far as that 2009 film goes, I appreciated all the winks to the original cast and show. I liked how the new cast took famous traits and habits from the original crew and incorporated it into their depictions, slightly altered but still close enough. I recall alot of people making fuss over Spock and Uhura's relationship, but if you watch the older shows you'll note that Uhura seemed to have an infatuation and attraction to Spock; the film played on that and turned it into a full blown relationship.

As far as 'Into Darkness' goes, again it was entertaining as far as summer films go, taking the action and effects to 'bigger, bigger, bigger' like many high profile summer sequels tend to do. What I'm noticing though, is a few of the actors seem so intent on mimicking the original characters that they are effectively becoming caricatures of their original counterparts. Yes, we all know that Kirk is a ladies man, but its too 'in our face' in this latest depiction. McCoy always had a 'grumpiness' to him, but Urban plays him as this constantly angry character( maybe it's the divorce?) whose role in the film seems to be spouting off one-liners 'Are you out of your vulcan mind!?. The original McCoy did this too, but it wasn't the essence of the character. I'm still waiting for those philosophical arguments between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy that made that trio so good in the original series. Star Trek V the final Frontier, for example, was a horrible film but the moments between those three make the movie at least bearable to watch.

LJJ
06-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I like the Star Trek tv shows a lot more than the movies. It's just a better format for Star Trek. On tv there is no need (or budget) to make the story exceedingly epic every time, so it gives them space to explore new territory.

Myth
06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I like the Star Trek tv shows a lot more than the movies. It's just a better format for Star Trek. On tv there is no need (or budget) to make the story exceedingly epic every time, so it gives them space to explore new territory.

I see what you did there.

Jackass18
06-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I can't remember half of the Star Trek movies, but of all the ones I remember between them both, I'd go:

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek
The Undiscovered Country
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Star Wars easily wins for movies, but I guess Trek would win overall due to the sheer amount of movies/shows.

Dragonyeuw
06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Star Wars V
Star Wars IV
Star Trek (2009)
Star Wars III
Star Wars VI
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Wars II
Star Wars I
Star Trek Generations

Just my opinion of course, I'd rank Undiscovered country higher. Personally I'd only rank two Star Wars movies above it, a new hope and Empire.

Dragonyeuw
06-06-2013, 08:25 PM
My list would look like this( taking into account I don't think much of the newer Star Wars movies):

SW V: the empire strikes back
SW IV: A new hope
ST II: the wrath of khan
ST VI: the undiscovered country
ST: First contact
ST 2009
SW VI: return of the jedi
SW IV: the voyage home
ST into darkness
SW III: revenge of the sith
ST Nemesis
ST III: the search for spock
ST Generations
SW I: the phantom menace
ST the motion picture
SW II: attack of the clones
ST Insurrection
ST V: the final frontier

gigantes
11-18-2013, 11:14 PM
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/598481_185835694953951_1164127914_n.jpg

why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends!? :mad: