PDA

View Full Version : Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
People say Jordan has the best work ethic, but he is also top five in terms of God given physical talent. So it isn't impressive that he is GOAT. Kobe on the other hand is not in the top 50 in terms of physical talent. Even guys like T MAC and Vince Carter are more physically gifted than him. Kobe is basically equal to JR Smith in terms of physical talent, but his work ethic has propelled him to 11
All NBA 1st teams. The most ever!

maybeshewill13
06-06-2013, 03:10 AM
People say Jordan has the best work ethic, but he is also top five in terms of God given physical talent. So it isn't impressive that he is GOAT. Kobe on the other hand is not in the top 50 in terms of physical talent. Even guys like T MAC and Vince Carter are more physically gifted than him. Kobe is basically equal to Mitch Richmond in terms of physical talent, but his work ethic has propelled him to 11
Oh ok, if you say so.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Oh ok, if you say so.

Even if Jordan had Shaq's work ethic he would still finish as a top 10 GOAT. If Kobe had Shaq's work ethic he would be out of the NBA after his rookie contract expired.

Soundwave
06-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Kobe is basically Mitch Richmond he just got play with Shaq and prime Pau + Odom is what I got out of this thread.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Kobe is basically Mitch Richmond he just got play with Shaq and prime Pau + Odom is what I got out of this thread.

Mitch Richmond with Pau and Odom would be worse than Mitch Richmond with Tim Hardaway and Chris Mullin. Pau and Odom are in the running for the worst championship #2 and #3 options in NBA history.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Kobes dad was an NBA player, and Kobe was one of the most athletic players ever in like 01. If you dont see that he was born gifted your delusional.

For NBA players physical gifts is the most important factor in how good you'll be. Sure you get some dudes who get by on pure talent and are lazy as ****(JR Smith, Mike Beasley), but when your talking about the professional ranks mostly all these dudes workout hard. There is $$$ on the line. Physical gifts is the one thing noone can ever match no matter how hard they work out. This isn't like your local park where if you practice, watch your nutrition, and workout you will be able to dominate just because of that.

Kobe is about equal to JR Smith in terms of physical gifts. Great example bro.

Cali Syndicate
06-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Even if Jordan had Shaq's work ethic he would still finish as a top 10 GOAT. If Kobe had Shaq's work ethic he would be out of the NBA after his rookie contract expired.

Uh no...champions are made not born.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Uh no...champions are made not born.

I know. Kobe made himself a champion with a terrible supporting cast (Pau and Odom) even though he is only as physically gifted as JR Smith.

Cali Syndicate
06-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Mitch Richmond with Pau and Odom would be worse than Mitch Richmond with Tim Hardaway and Chris Mullin. Pau and Odom are in the running for the worst championship #2 and #3 options in NBA history.

If Dwight won, Hedo and Rashard would have been. Pau and Odom are better

maybeshewill13
06-06-2013, 03:32 AM
I know. Kobe made himself a champion with a terrible supporting cast (Pau and Odom) even though he is only as physically gifted as JR Smith.
:sleeping if you're going to troll bro at least try harder to make it believable.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:35 AM
If Dwight won, Hedo and Rashard would have been. Pau and Odom are better

I know but people overate Pau and Odom just to hate on Kobe. Even the GOAT had much better support with Pippen and Rodman. Magic had Kareem and Worthy. Bird had McHale, Parrish, and DJ. Pau and Odom are scrubs compared to those guys.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:37 AM
:sleeping if you're going to troll bro at least try harder to make it believable.

How is Kobe more physically talented than JR Smith? If they had an NBA Draft combine with young JR and young Kobe they would put up similar numbers.

Cali Syndicate
06-06-2013, 03:41 AM
I know but people overate Pau and Odom just to hate on Kobe. Even the GOAT had much better support with Pippen and Rodman. Magic had Kareem and Worthy. Bird had McHale, Parrish, and DJ. Pau and Odom are scrubs compared to those guys.

Compared to those guys? Sure. Relative to the league At the time, Pau and Odom, among the top. Not to mention, Bynum was basically coming of the bench who in 08 before he went down was a solid ass center. Even proved to be so when he got full playing time starting in 2011.

KG215
06-06-2013, 03:55 AM
What other championship contenders in '09 and '10 had a better #2 than Pau Gasol?

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Compared to those guys? Sure. Relative to the league At the time, Pau and Odom, among the top. Not to mention, Bynum was basically coming of the bench who in 08 before he went down was a solid ass center. Even proved to be so when he got full playing time starting in 2011.

Bynum was injured in 2009 and 2010 playoffs. He was basically equivalent to Luc Longley. The point I am trying to make is that JR Smith wouldn't win with those guys but Kobe did.

Soundwave
06-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Kobe Bryant: Not as good as JR Smith, hard working Mitch Richmond.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:00 AM
What other championship contenders in '09 and '10 had a better #2 than Pau Gasol?

Would JR Smith win the chip if he replaced Kobe for those two seasons?

Cali Syndicate
06-06-2013, 04:01 AM
Bynum was injured in 2009 and 2010 playoffs. He was basically equivalent to Luc Longley. The point I am trying to make is that JR Smith wouldn't win with those guys but Kobe did.

Bynum and Pau start.

Odom comes off the bench replacing Bynum. Pau and Odom.

Pau sits. Bynum and Odom.

Odom sits. Pau and Bynum.

Repeat.

lefthook00
06-06-2013, 04:02 AM
Actually I think JR can jump a little higher than Kobe, maybe not, but yeah, similar. Nick Young reminds me of Kobe a little bit, he has underrated athleticism.

Duncan, Bird, Magic(not completely b/c he had ridiculous size on his side) don't have the physical gifts that the rest of the top players of all time do.

Kobe has crazy elite athleticism, but it's not 99.9999 percentile athleticism like Shaq(I think his standing vert was like 1" less than Kobe's or something ludicrous like that @ 7'1" 3hunna-something lbs), MJ, Nate, Iverson, VC, LeBron, Wilt, etc. Kobe is more like 95-99+ percentile athleticism. May seem like a slim margin but it makes a big difference. For example, imagine Kobe in VC's body!!! He would go to prison for murdering all of the NBA's bigmen.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Kobe Bryant: Not as good as JR Smith, hard working Mitch Richmond.

He is actually a hard working JR Smith. I feel bad for him. He has very little athletic talent but maximized every ounce of the little talent that he had.

KG215
06-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Would JR Smith win the chip if he replaced Kobe for those two seasons?
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Actually I think JR can jump a little higher than Kobe, maybe not, but yeah, similar. Nick Young reminds me of Kobe a little bit, he has underrated athleticism.

Duncan, Bird, Magic(not completely b/c he had ridiculous size on his side) don't have the physical gifts that the rest of the top players of all time do.

Kobe has crazy elite athleticism, but it's not 99.9999 percentile athleticism like Shaq(I think his standing vert was like 1" less than Kobe's or something ludicrous like that @ 7'1" 3hunna-something lbs), MJ, Nate, Iverson, VC, LeBron, Wilt, etc. Kobe is more like 95-99+ percentile athleticism. May seem like a slim margin but it makes a big difference. For example, imagine Kobe in VC's body.

Kobe isn't in the top 50 in terms of physical talent.

maybeshewill13
06-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Rofl OP making a habit of that. It's like he has an idea of how his trolling is meant to act out and no matter what's said he still sticks to the plan :lol

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:09 AM

Pau Gasol has nothing to do with the premise of this thread. Even if Pau was the best 2nd option would JR smith be able to win the title with him?

KG215
06-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Pau Gasol has nothing to do with the premise of this thread. Even if Pau was the best 2nd option would JR smith be able to win the title with him?
Was J.R. Smith his team's #1 option?

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Rofl OP making a habit of that. It's like he has an idea of how his trolling is meant to act out and no matter what's said he still sticks to the plan :lol

The only way you can refute my statement is by finding Kobe's combine numbers. I found JR Smith's numbers, but I need Kobe's numbers for proof that they are equivalent in terms of physical talent. The eyeball test for me shows that Kobe = JR Smith in terms of physical talent.

andgar923
06-06-2013, 04:13 AM
People say Jordan has the best work ethic, but he is also top five in terms of God given physical talent. So it isn't impressive that he is GOAT. Kobe on the other hand is not in the top 50 in terms of physical talent. Even guys like T MAC and Vince Carter are more physically gifted than him. Kobe is basically equal to JR Smith in terms of physical talent, but his work ethic has propelled him to 11

this guy works out on his way to work.

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/lebron_bike.jpg

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:15 AM
Was J.R. Smith his team's #1 option?

All I am saying is Kobe is equal to JR Smith in terms of physical talent. What propelled Kobe to the resume he has now is his GOAT work ethic.

KG215
06-06-2013, 04:17 AM
All I am saying is Kobe is equal to JR Smith in terms of physical talent. What propelled Kobe to the resume he has now is his GOAT work ethic.
And this is based on what? You're biased opinion?

FKAri
06-06-2013, 04:19 AM
I think you are overrating physical talent. There are other talents. There's a reason no matter how hard Gerald Green works on his game he won't be Kobe. Even if he had Kobe's work ethic he wouldn't be as good as Kobe. Scoring instincts, ability to learn and absorb techniques, and intelligence are extremely valuable if you want to reach the level of someone like Kobe.

dh144498
06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Kobes dad was an NBA player, and Kobe was one of the most athletic players ever in like 01. If you dont see that he was born gifted your delusional.

For NBA players physical gifts is the most important factor in how good you'll be. Sure you get some dudes who get by on pure talent and are lazy as ****(JR Smith, Mike Beasley), but when your talking about the professional ranks mostly all these dudes workout hard. There is $$$ on the line. Physical gifts is the one thing noone can ever match no matter how hard they work out. This isn't like your local park where if you practice, watch your nutrition, and workout you will be able to dominate just because of that.

:biggums:

Mass Debator
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Kobe was a superb athlete. Kobe's athleticism is still good. There's just more pacing involved now.

KG215
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the OP came to the conclusion that Kobe has the GOAT work ethic. Like there's endless amounts of evidence of how hard other players worked on their game over the years. I mean we know Jordan had a legendary work ethic, too, but other than that it's not like you hear much about the workout routines of other players. And even if we did, how in the hell do you even rank something like that?

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the OP came to the conclusion that Kobe has the GOAT work ethic. Like there's endless amounts of evidence of how hard other players worked on their game over the years. I mean we know Jordan had a legendary work ethic, too, but other than that it's not like you hear much about the workout routines of other players. And even if we did, how in the hell do you even rank something like that?

Because he is the biggest overachiever. He has a very low ceiling but somehow managed to achieve a resume that is reserved for the athletic elite or big men.
Only Bird has an argument over Kobe, but he is 6' 9" and has huge hands.
Kobe is actually only 6' 5" with small hands.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Kobe copied everything from Michael Jordan, including his work ethic.

So, if you praise Kobe, you are really praising Michael Jordan. he was renowned for being the hardest worker in the NBA, even though he was already the best player.

Kobe used to ask Phil Jackson questions about how long Jordan would work out, how would Jordan do this, how would Jordan do that, and Kobe based his workouts on that MJ intel.

So really, props to MJ for being the GOAT work ethic

3LiftHeatCurse
06-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Because he is the biggest overachiever. He has a very low ceiling but somehow managed to achieve a resume that is reserved for the athletic elite or big men.

Uh, sonny, Kobe was a sidekick to Shaq so 3 of those rings aren't really "Kobe managed to achieve this" when talking about All Time Greats. Bird was always the leader on his teams. Kobe wasn't.

And Bird was never outplayed by his All-Star teammates in a Finals series. Kobe was, as Gasol should have gotten 2010 FMVP

Unbiased_one
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM

As you can see here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2010_finals.html) there is a pretty strong argument that pau should have been 2010 finals MVP...if he's the worst second option ever, where does that put kobe amongst the first options? :roll:

3LiftHeatCurse
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Was you the pathetic dude that made the Kobe flop video?:oldlol:

1) Kobe fans make threads bashing LeBron and acting like Kobe never flops. "I can't imagine other greats like Jordan, Bird, Kobe flopping!!"

2) I make video showing that Kobe flops. Kobetards ethered.

Problem?

Anyway your argument is silly because that can be said about Wade/MAgic/KAreem/Pippen and basically every second option just is that Kobe may be the best second option of all time.

If we're going to GOAT 2nd Option, then I pick Scottie Pippen.

I am not arguing the silly thing OP said but man are you stupid, just because he copied someone doesn't mean he can't take it to the next level.

Where is your proof that Kobe took it to the next level. You in the gym with both Jordan and Kobe to scientifically prove this?

All you Kobestans offer is conjecture and hyperbole to prop up your false god while I provided a STATEMENT OF FACT that, in MJ's day, he was widely regarded as the hardest worker in the NBA, and that Kobe used to ask Phil for intel on MJ's workout habits so he could copy it.

I provide facts, you don't.

jstern
06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Kobe is the GOAT at trying to show, and putting forth a good effort to show to the public that he has an unmatched work ethic. I mean to be at his level you have to have a work ethic, but with Kobe he goes out of his way to show that. Unlike every other superstar, like Lebron, who obviously works hard, but doesn't go out of his way to talk about it.

Also, Jordan's physical ability also show an extreme work ethic. You just don't have his athleticism based on genes. Eat whatever you want and expect to jump from the foul line.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Uh, sonny, Kobe was a sidekick to Shaq so 3 of those rings aren't really "Kobe managed to achieve this" when talking about All Time Greats. Bird was always the leader on his teams. Kobe wasn't.

And Bird was never outplayed by his All-Star teammates in a Finals series. Kobe was, as Gasol should have gotten 2010 FMVP

Kobe has 11 All NBA first teams. The most in NBA history. Why hasn't his athletic equal JR Smith been able to accomplish the same? Kobe is an overachiever. Jordan didn't overachieve. Jordan always had GOAT physical talent.

KG215
06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
That's still your VERY biased opinion. You're also selling Kobe's physical gifts very short (he's a much better athlete than you seem to think) and he was always a very strong player mentally.

And you've boiled down your argument to something as stupid as "Kobe is only 6'5" with small hands." I'm not sure you understand how ridiculous it is to base your argument on something that dense.

And It's absurd to try and claim anyone has the "GOAT work ethic" because there's absolutely no objective way to measure something like that. Not unless you've got detailed reports of every player's (past and present) off-season and in-season workout/practice routines.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:52 PM
That's still your VERY biased opinion. You're also selling Kobe's physical gifts very short (he's a much better athlete than you seem to think) and he was always a very strong player mentally.

And you've boiled down your argument to something as stupid as "Kobe is only 6'5" with small hands." I'm not sure you understand how ridiculous it is to base your argument on something that dense.

And It's absurd to try and claim anyone has the "GOAT work ethic" because there's absolutely no objective way to measure something like that. Not unless you've got detailed reports of every player's (past and present) off-season and in-season workout/practice routines.

I think he is equal to JR Smith. I think it is fair and reasonable comparison.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Kobe is the GOAT at trying to show, and putting forth a good effort to show to the public that he has an unmatched work ethic. I mean to be at his level you have to have a work ethic, but with Kobe he goes out of his way to show that. Unlike every other superstar, like Lebron, who obviously works hard, but doesn't go out of his way to talk about it.

Also, Jordan's physical ability also show an extreme work ethic. You just don't have his athleticism based on genes. Eat whatever you want and expect to jump from the foul line.

I've seen the dude workout multiple times at the ARC at UC Irvine during the summer. There were no cameras to film that beast putting in work.

KG215
06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I think he is equal to JR Smith. I think it is fair and reasonable comparison.
Ok, but J.R. Smith, even by NBA standards, is and always has been a very good athlete. You're making it seem like Kobe has overcome nearly impossible lack of physical gifts and tools, and it's only because of his work ethic he's as good as he is.

You mentioned Larry Bird, but Kobe was more physically gifted than Bird. The only thing Bird has on Kobe is his height. Other than that, he wasn't ever as good of an athlete as Kobe; not as good of a leaper, not as quick, not as fast, etc.

SamuraiSWISH
06-06-2013, 05:02 PM
MJ and Kobe. Bird, West are up there too.

Ca$H
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Ok, but J.R. Smith, even by NBA standards, is and always has been a very good athlete. You're making it seem like Kobe has overcome nearly impossible lack of physical gifts and tools, and it's only because of his work ethic he's as good as he is.

You mentioned Larry Bird, but Kobe was more physically gifted than Bird. The only thing Bird has on Kobe is his height. Other than that, he wasn't ever as good of an athlete as Kobe; not as good of a leaper, not as quick, not as fast, etc.

Not only. But primarily. If JR Smith had Kobe's work ethic then he would be Kobe's equal.

KG215
06-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Not only. But primarily. If JR Smith had Kobe's work ethic then he would be Kobe's equal.
Ok, but there are literally dozens and dozens of players like that throughout NBA history. It doesn't simply mean Kobe has the GOAT work ethic.

jstern
06-06-2013, 08:42 PM
I've seen the dude workout multiple times at the ARC at UC Irvine during the summer. There were no cameras to film that beast putting in work.
I didn't say he didn't work hard.