PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets part ways with George Karl

Reverend Hoops
06-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Coach George Karl will not return for the final year of his contract in 2013-14, Denver Nuggets President Josh Kroenke announced today.

Hired on Jan. 27, 2005, Karl orchestrated one of the most successful eras in Nuggets history. He guided Denver to nine consecutive playoff appearances and a regular-season record of 423-257. His victories rank second in franchise history to Doug Moe (432).

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13441

Rekindled
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
not surprised. dude is a terrible coach. dude singlehandledly cost nuggets a championship in 09 when he choked away 2 games in LA

Eldrunko247
06-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Overrated anyways.

kurple
06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
YES! :applause: :applause: :applause:

1rkrage
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Coach of the Year

kurple
Nuggets first team ever to not bring back the coach of the year and exec of the year?

FlawlessVictory
Certainly seems very harsh considering the regular season Denver had and he got coach of the year. Conversely, he has a pretty terrible record in the playoffs and if Denver really want to compete for a Championship, many would argue they need a new coach.

New coach and new GM after the season they had. Unprecedented I would say.

kurple
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I guess it's more likely iggy leaves now

He should go to Detroit*. Or maybe we can do a S&T

kurple
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Get Hollins or Shaw!

Clippers can have Karl

Rekindled
06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I guess it's more likely iggy leaves now

He should go to Detroit*. Or maybe we can do a S&T

pistons not interested in iggy , now how about

Gallo+Fournier for Monroe+Stuckey+Knight+Singler

Purch
06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Certainly seems very harsh considering the regular season Denver had and he got coach of the year. Conversely, he has a pretty terrible record in the playoffs and if Denver really want to compete for a Championship, many would argue they need a new coach.

New coach and new GM after the season they had. Unprecedented I would say.

Not only them though. Denver had 57 wins, Memphis had 56 wins, and the clippers had 56 wins, yet all of them will have new coaches next season.

All excellent years for those teams. So it's really intresting

FreezingTsmoove
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
One of the worst playoff coaches of all time?

Haymaker
06-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Iggy should sign with a contender. Detroit is a mess.

jimmy77x
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
So the Coach of The Year curse continues.

knickballer
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Karl is a great coach.. Don't understand why people are bashing on him.

TyLawson3
06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Wow.....

Anfernee
06-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Sad for Karl, but Im happy to see a coach let go and a player not being blamed for it.

jzek
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
He was going to get fired anyway and it was just a way for him to save face considering I think this will be the first time a COTY got fired after winning the award.

Anfernee
06-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Nuggets first team ever to not bring back the coach of the year and exec of the year?

I think so. In the past the Coach of the Year is fired the next year.

kurple
06-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Iggy should sign with a contender. Detroit is a mess.
what contender got cap space?

he should re-sign in denver or team up with Dwight if he wants to win. And teaming up with that clown is always a gamble

DG#8
06-06-2013, 11:46 AM
wow, most exciting basketball news in awhile

bagelred
Needed to leave. The guy is a cancer.

kurple
because you dont follow the nuggets

jzek
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM

He's a GREAT regular season coach. As for the playoffs, well, just go look at his coaching history in the playoffs. One of the worst track records of all time.

demons2005
06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Get Hollins or Shaw!

Clippers can have Karl
You forgot the Clippers are run by a racist. no not sterling: Chris Paul

niko
06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Karl isn't flexible at all. He has a plan, and you will fit it, or he will run you into the ground (and the team with it if not enough pieces fit it). He's very much like D'Antoni in that way, albeit with a better plan. He also winds up eventually butting heads for some reasons with his stars.

He's just a dick. He can't help it. I wonder what team he'll give a temporary boost to before killing them. I hope it's the Nets.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
The problem w/ Karl is that he consistently gets out-coached in the postseason. Guy just doesn't adjust well.

Denver has some great pieces, and if they want to be a contender, this is the right move.

Kurosawa0
06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Hollins would probably be a good fit there. Not a bad job with the talent they have. Although they need to move some of that depth for an all-star.

knickballer
06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
He's a GREAT regular season coach. As for the playoffs, well, just go look at his coaching history in the playoffs. One of the worst track records of all time.

I know his postseason record speaks for itself but that team out performed in the regular season. It's a team where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts.

Especially without Galinari the squad is composed of a bunch of #3-4 options. He turned that squad into a great defensive squad and a great team orientated squad

kurple
06-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I He turned that squad into a great defensive squad
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Foster5k
06-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I think he is over-rated. He couldn't win with Melo + Iverson. What has he done that makes him such a "great" coach?. Lol. Any team getting this guy will regret it.

kurple
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 35s
One source close to process says "trade" between Denver and Memphis is now conceivable where Karl takes over Grizz and Hollins joins Nuggets

would rather have Shaw, but hollins would finally get the D back to denver

jzek
06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
The next team he coaches will overachieve in the regular season and then have an early exit in the playoffs. This is the George Karl way.

LLK21
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I am surprised.

boozehound
06-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 35s
One source close to process says "trade" between Denver and Memphis is now conceivable where Karl takes over Grizz and Hollins joins Nuggets

would rather have Shaw, but hollins would finally get the D back to denver
I wonder what tune you will be singing next offseason after you guys do markedly worse under the new coach? I agree that karl is far from a perfect coach, but he got more out of this squad than most coaches could. I dont expect the nuggets to do as well next year.

kurple
06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I wonder what tune you will be singing next offseason after you guys do markedly worse under the new coach? I agree that karl is far from a perfect coach, but he got more out of this squad than most coaches could. I dont expect the nuggets to do as well next year.
I also think they'll take a step back next year

- Gallo will be out most of the season
- New system
- Iggy might leave

But it's worth it. We still have a great and young core (3rd youngest even with old man Andre)

I think McGee will break out as a starter. And playing in the defensive system where he doesnt have to defend PG's half the time

I think players like Fournier and Jordan Hamilton (never got a chance under GK) will grow into good roleplayers at least.

Lawson is a baller and a borderline all star. Faried as well

Our team should be a threat in the playoffs once Gallo comes back. And hopefully even better in 2014-15

niko
06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I know his postseason record speaks for itself but that team out performed in the regular season. It's a team where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts.

Especially without Galinari the squad is composed of a bunch of #3-4 options. He turned that squad into a great defensive squad and a great team orientated squad

There were nowhere near a great defensive team. There were confused defensively.

kurple
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
our team would take Golden State with a real defense and a coach that doesnt get outcoached by Mike Brown and Mark Jackson

TyLawson3
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM

- New system
- Iggy might leave

But it's worth it. We still have a great and young core (3rd youngest even with old man Andre)

I think McGee will break out as a starter. And playing in the defensive system where he doesnt have to defend PG's half the time

I think players like Fournier and Jordan Hamilton (never got a chance under GK) will grow into good roleplayers at least.

Our team should be a threat in the playoffs once Gallo comes back. And hopefully even better in 2014-15
I agree with a lot of us. I still am concerned with Karl leaving that our offense will leave with him and we will trade away some players for shooters (notably Gallo). We have a great young core and I really hope that doesn't get screwed up.

I can't wait to see what McGee does as full time starter.

cotdt
06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
George Karl leaves, Nuggets will improve their defense at the expense of offense.

NuggetsFan
06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
WHEWWWWWWWWW!!!!

But seriously George Karl is a great coach. Doubt there's a coach who can get this team to win 57 games in the regular season, doubt we win that much next year with the loss of Karl and Iggy most likely. With that being said Denver Nuggets have needed a change in the worst way possible. We need to give guys like Hamilton a shot, and stop overplaying Miller. We need to learn how to consistently play defense, and stop changing our game and adjusting come playoff time.

Karl has came up short in the playoffs far too often to stick around, both sides need a chance. Awesome news, only positive of losing Masai. Thank Karl for everything he did as Nugget but even if this team falls apart it'll be worth it not watching it fall apart in the playoffs.

Nuggets have the second longest playoff streak in the NBA, yet have been out of the 1st round once. 2nd round or bust next year :oldlol:

DMV2
06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Has a Coach of the Year ever been canned right after winning the award?

chosen_one6
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM

- New system
- Iggy might leave

Can McGee even play heavy starters minutes with his asthma?

DuMa
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
wow. Shit is falling apart management wise in denver. They had a disappointing playoff runs for many years so im a bit surprised but not totally shocked

garubu
06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
:banana: finally!

I use to defend George Karl a couple of years back when Denver fans wanted to can Karl. After seeing how this year has folded i wanted him out of the organization. He's a great coach, a great season coach, but when it comes to the playoffs he always finds a way to **** himself over.

Tired of seeing Karl play his beloved players and keep his non beloved players in the doghouse. These kinds of decisions has cost the team playoff games. :facepalm anthony carter :facepalm andre miller :facepalm corey brewer to some extent :facepalm Kosta Koufus.

Hopefully this opens up the doors for our younger players to blossom under a new coach. I want to see what JHam is capable of and playing our Younger guys like Q.Miller and more Fournier. Hope we get rid of brewer and miller to open up some minutes for this young guns.

ProfessorMurder
06-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Not surprised. I like Karl, but he doesn't adjust well and his team doesn't seem to know how to play with a lead.

If they get the right coach, they'll improve.

If they get the wrong coach, they'll be garbage.

They really need to go after Korver in free agency.

andremiller07
06-06-2013, 01:37 PM

- New system
- Iggy might leave

I agree with everything except the bolded bit, Faried's no where near an allstar, he's a good energy guy but nothing above average.

Imo if Fournier develops they still got a crazy future with him/Ty/Gallo

Kiddlovesnets
06-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Best coach in Denver Nuggets franchise history.

Purch
06-06-2013, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE]

KG215
06-06-2013, 01:52 PM
pistons not interested in iggy , now how about

Gallo+Fournier for Monroe+Stuckey+Knight+Singler
I don't think I'v ever seen you come up with even a decent trade proposal. Sad thing is, you love to do it and think you're good at it.

Scholar
06-06-2013, 01:53 PM
I thought the most interesting thing about all of the "what-happens-to-George-Karl-and-the-Nuggets-next-year?" was when Karl was coming up to the press to answer questions after winning COTY, one of the Nuggets' front office guys said, "Here, Karl. Sit on the hot seat."

:eek:

Significance? "Hot seat" generally implies being in a position to be potentially fired depending on future performance. Karl clearly wasn't leading this team anywhere.

You can say they got bad luck by facing the Warriors in the 1st round. Maybe it wasn't a fair assessment, but George has only led these Nuggets past the first round once. He doesn't seem to make post-game adjustments depending on how the series is swinging. It's not a great coaching style.

kaiteng
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
So Coach of the Year awards are now really worth nothing. Sad.

PickernRoller
06-06-2013, 03:00 PM
not surprised. dude is a terrible coach. dude singlehandledly cost nuggets a championship in 09 when he choked away 2 games in LA

Lol what? :roll: :roll:

Nuggets were just a roadblock into the Laker's promised land. Get your facts straight - no way the Nuggets where beating the Lakers that year. I am actually surprised it went to 6 games and not a sweep.

Ill Will
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM
kind of sucks how we lost our GM and coach at nearly the same time and one of our best players is about to leave too.

that being said i can't give my opinion if he's a good coach or not but there's a good chance we could pick up a worse one

jimmy77x
06-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Has a Coach of the Year ever been canned right after winning the award?

Duderonomy
06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Karl will bounce back on his feet. He battled cancer twice, first throat then Melo.

flipogb
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Karl will bounce back on his feet. He battled cancer twice, first throat then Melo.
almost a perfect joke, but you forgot the prostate cancer

Purch
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=jimmy77x]2005

FireDavidKahn
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Well this is one of the dumbest decisions a FO could have done. First you lose Usiri because you weren't aggressive enough to keep him and then you fire Karl. You lose the GM of the year and the Coach of the year all in the same off season.

Well done Denver. :oldlol:

dgaras
06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
some of the worst rotations in the league

FireDavidKahn
06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Management blamed George Karl for losing Golden State series. Believed he panicked by matching up small rather than by playing Nuggets game.

Management wanted George Karl to play JaVale McGee more after they paid him all this money. Wanted him to start over Koufos but Karl said no

Management believed George Karl played Andre Miller too much. Wanted to see Evan Fournier get more development during regular season.

Management wouldn't have minded George Karl develop younger players in general more even if would have meant winning few less games than 57

:roll: :roll: :roll: So Karl was fired for not playing Fournier and McGee enough.:roll: :roll: :roll:

This is fast approaching the incompetency of the Wolves FO (Sigh, maybe Flip will be different).

kurple
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: So Karl was fired for not playing Fournier and McGee enough.:roll: :roll: :roll:

This is fast approaching the incompetency of the Wolves FO (Sigh, maybe Flip will be different).
karl was fired because he always lose in the 1st round. even when we win 57 games

and because he'd rather win regular season games than develop his players and prepare them for the playoffs

kurple
06-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Hollins and Shaw are the two guys linked with Denver

Both of them would make us more likely to get past the 1st round

InfiniteBaskets
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Needed to leave. The guy is a cancer.

:coleman:

baller562
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
:coleman:

I don't understand this move, the nuggets overachieved all year with their superstar talent lacking team. What killed them is no having that go-to guy when the game is on the line, and their lack of a post presence. There's only so much a coach can do... Denver made a stupid move

bluechox2
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
shows you how stupid voters are for coach of the year, when management doesnt think so

TheFan
06-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Karl is a good coach... The problem is that... kinda hard to explain... he is like Rudy Tomjanovich coaching the Lakers... He needs a Spurs type of team to win... he is not a superstars coach like PJackson.

Scoooter
06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
This paves the way for Gallo to return as player-coach.

DMV2
06-06-2013, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=jimmy77x]2005

coin24
06-06-2013, 08:39 PM
About time. One of the most stubborn, shitty coaches in the league..

NugzFan
06-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Comparing Denver's FO to Minnesotas is the only laughable part of your post

NugzFan
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Well this is one of the dumbest decisions a FO could have done. First you lose Usiri because you weren't aggressive enough to keep him and then you fire Karl. You lose the GM of the year and the Coach of the year all in the same off season.

Well done Denver. :oldlol:

It's clear you don't follow nuggets basketball very closely

Ill Will
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM

which kind of makes sense. javale makes around 11 million a year and was playing an abysmal amount of minutes at one point in the season. and a lot of people were impressed with evan's playing (whenever it happened). arguably those two's personal improvement could mean a lot for the future.

el gringos
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
At least 3 years too late

hawkfan
06-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Coaches get an 8-10 year run.
His time was up in Denver.
He had a great run and now it's time for him to move on.
He would be a good fit in Clipperland.