PDA

View Full Version : Next big man to score 40+ in the playoffs?

SCdac
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
In a league where low scorers like Hibbert and M. Gasol are considered premier big men, who can you envision breaking the 40 point mark in the playoffs within the next few years? Maybe Dirk next season or Dwight if he gets hacked enough? Who of the new-school bigs can score like that?

jzek
06-06-2013, 06:16 PM
D12 could* certainly do it if only Kobe would pass him the ball.

*could
[kood; unstressed kuhd] Show IPA

- used to express possibility
- used to express conditional possibility or ability

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/could

TheReal Kendall
06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
The only big I see capable of doing this is Dirk. I don't really consider him a big though.

baller562
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
The only big I see capable of doing this is Dirk. I don't really consider him a big though.

Tim Duncan, he will pull of a 40 point game in the upcoming finals... :cheers:

Genaro
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Love could do it. Don't know if Wolves can make the playoffs though.

b1imtf
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
D12 could certainly do it if only Kobe would pass him the ball.
Yeah, he must've raped in the playoffs this year

TheReal Kendall
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Tim Duncan, he will pull of a 40 point game in the upcoming finals... :cheers:

I hope he does but I think those days are behind him.

DMV2
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/06/04/1370321443000-AP-Spurs-Lakers-Basketball-1306040052_4_3_rx404_c534x401.jpg

DMV2
06-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Monroe and or Drummond, next season. :cheers:

Levity
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Lopez has the scoring ability to do it

If the Kings ever make it to the playoffs, Cousins has the potential to do it as well.

DMV2
06-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Lopez has the scoring ability to do it

If the Kings ever make it to the playoffs, Cousins has the potential to do it as well.
Yeah, there's a lot of young potential bigs in the league, they'e just stuck on bottom-feeding teams.

imnew09
06-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Yea, like they ever played a playoff game together...

jzek
06-06-2013, 06:36 PM

That's why I said COULD

could

Levity
06-06-2013, 06:37 PM

haha :lol

SCdac
06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Monroe and or Drummond, next season. :cheers:

I'd love to witness that. Monroe is one of my favorites. Not sure if he can hit 40 though. He'd need at least 7-8 trips to the line

ThaRegul8r
06-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Is it to help his team win, or just to put up flashy stats for people on internet message boards to post threads about?

SCdac
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Is it to help his team win, or just to put up flashy stats for people on internet message boards to post threads about?

40 points is 40 points... I agree they're not all created equal, but whether it occurs in a monumental win or not is sometimes out of said player's control.

Flash31
06-06-2013, 07:53 PM
big as in c

howad,lopez

only two Hibbert as great as people try to make him out to be and his so called domination of the heat DID NOT even get 30

Brook has all the Offensive skills of a center,he's the most polished offensive Center and the Highest scoring center mostly

Dwight could get 40,He avg 10 fta a game and if he gets hot,lets say puts up 20 the team will foul him more and he could get 40
there was a game this season where Dwight made something like 16-18 fta

and he Broke the record of most fta in a game,his own record

if bigs including pf then

Bosh,Love,Horford,Aldridge

It's A VC3!!!
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Brook Lopez averaged 22 ppg against the Bulls in the post season including a 28 point game. Considering that Noah is a great low post defender, that leads me to believe that Brook can score 40 in a series against a less quality defender.

d.bball.guy
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Joel Anthony

ispin69
06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Dirk for sure. JJ Hickson (after dirk retires I'm gonna fan boy him next)

JimmyMcAdocious
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
The only legitimate answers I see are Dwight, Dirk, and Lopez. All the rest of the guys don't come near that as their current career high for points, except Monroe at 35. Against the Raptors, tho.

Maybe Al Jeff on a different team.

SCdac
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
The only legitimate answers I see are Dwight, Dirk, and Lopez. All the rest of the guys don't come near that as their current career high for points, except Monroe at 35. Against the Raptors, tho.

Maybe Al Jeff on a different team.

Kevin Love?

Demarcus Cousins has had a 41, 38, and 36 point game before... but will he get to the playoffs is the question.

SyRyanYang
06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
The first came to my mind is Brook Lopez.

andremiller07
06-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of young potential bigs in the league, they'e just stuck on bottom-feeding teams.
This, that's the only thing that killed me about this years playoffs you had a bunch of over-hyped guys who have games built for the regular season and can't do nothing in the playoffs from Ibaka, Griffin, DJ, Faried, Chandler & McGee amongst others all get ripped to shreds in the playoffs while a lot of super talented bigs like Monroe, Alridge, Dirk, Cousins, KLove were all chilling at home cause they play on shit teams.

My wish for next season is get more good big men in the playoffs watching all these guys who require spoon feeding and can't create or do anything hard is making me sick.

I would say Lopez or Horford will most likely do it unless Timmy goes beserk in this years finals, both Hawks/Nets should be in the playoffs for few years and both those guys can get it done from just about anywhere.

ShaqAttack3234
06-07-2013, 03:50 AM
Well, Howard has done it twice with 40/14/4 vs the Cavs in game 6 of the 2009 ECF and 46/19 in game 1 of the 2011 1st round vs Atlanta. I'm not sure he'll get back to that level, but if he's close, then he may be the most likely at the moment.

Dirk is probably too old and too past his prime at this point, but you never know. Gasol and Hibbert aren't big enough scorers to make them likely. Lopez is possible, one of the better candidates along with Hibbert. And maybe Griffin? He's currently on a stacked team, but he has the ability.

Was bored too so I figured I'd post how many times past and recent great big men have done it for comparison.

Wilt- 12
Shaq- 12
Hakeem- 11(I don't think many realize just how great he was in the playoffs throughout his entire career, not just the back to back title runs)
Kareem- 9 (thought he'd have more)
Dirk- 7
Barkley- 5
Duncan- 4
Karl Malone- 4
Amare- 4(won't be remembered as one of the greats, but I thought some would find it interesting he has this many)
Moses Malone- 2
Ewing- 2
David Robinson- 1

SCdac
06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Well, Howard has done it twice with 40/14/4 vs the Cavs in game 6 of the 2009 ECF and 46/19 in game 1 of the 2011 1st round vs Atlanta. I'm not sure he'll get back to that level, but if he's close, then he may be the most likely at the moment.

Dirk is probably too old and too past his prime at this point, but you never know. Gasol and Hibbert aren't big enough scorers to make them likely. Lopez is possible, one of the better candidates along with Hibbert. And maybe Griffin? He's currently on a stacked team, but he has the ability.

Was bored too so I figured I'd post how many times past and recent great big men have done it for comparison.

Wilt- 12
Shaq- 12
Hakeem- 11(I don't think many realize just how great he was in the playoffs throughout his entire career, not just the back to back title runs)
Kareem- 9 (thought he'd have more)
Dirk- 7
Barkley- 5
Duncan- 4
Karl Malone- 4
Amare- 4(won't be remembered as one of the greats, but I thought some would find it interesting he has this many)
Moses Malone- 2
Ewing- 2
David Robinson- 1

Yeah it's somewhat of an arbitrary number but I think there's a big difference between a 30 point game (in the playoffs) and a 40. Thanks for looking those up.

I could see Dwight doing it especially in any offense he feels comfortable in, which at this point I think would be anywhere outside LAL. I'm thinking Houston's offense would be kind to him, lots of lobs, passes from Harden/Parsons, and a fast pace so he could operate in the paint without defenses dialing in on him as quickly.

Amare's scoring certainly comes to mind (being a Spurs fan). His scoring was beastly. Although the Spurs defense was kind of geared for him to go off and it was a Stockton-Malone kind of relationship in Phoenix. Still it was sick.

Robinson's 1 forty+ point game surprises me more than Kareem, but in another way it doesn't. Just didn't feel that was his nature, despite being what would easily be a top-3 scorer in todays league let alone his own league.

Shaq and Wilt are just in a league of their own.

iDunkOnFatKids
06-07-2013, 04:08 AM

Kobe pass all the time, it's d12 fault for not getting the rebounds.

Digital Lee
06-07-2013, 04:20 AM
i think blake griffin has the talent to drop 40 against a bad defensive playoff team which would seem difficult since most playoff teams are at least good defensively

jcsrplumply
06-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Demarcus Cousins.

LakersForlife
06-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Dirk Nowitzki

andremiller07
06-07-2013, 04:25 AM
One that completely slipped my mind was LMA as well he would have to easily be one of the favourites if the Blazers get a bit more depth next season.

Doranku
06-07-2013, 04:26 AM

*could

Rofl. "D12" was horrible in the playoffs w/ Kobe on the sidelines. Go kill yourself you desperate bandwagon f@ggot. Spurs 1-0 ROFLLLLLLLLL

SpurrDurr
06-07-2013, 05:21 AM

Yeh Love with his 3s wouldn't surpise me if he scored 40+ in the playoffs.

The biggest problem for him is gettin there :lol

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-07-2013, 09:29 AM
After watching Dirk's Chicago game...... in which he:

35 points (14-17 FG)
7 rebounds

And he scored like the last 8-10 points for the Mavs to win the game...... he still can do it.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4673212/dirk-nowitzki-game-winner-o.gif

ShaqAttack3234
06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah it's somewhat of an arbitrary number but I think there's a big difference between a 30 point game (in the playoffs) and a 40. Thanks for looking those up.

No question, I mean if you look at how few 40 point playoff games even the best scorers and players have put up in the playoffs, it shows it is significant to put up a number of them. I mean, Bird only had 5.

I could see Dwight doing it especially in any offense he feels comfortable in, which at this point I think would be anywhere outside LAL. I'm thinking Houston's offense would be kind to him, lots of lobs, passes from Harden/Parsons, and a fast pace so he could operate in the paint without defenses dialing in on him as quickly.

Yeah, if he's healthy, he'd be a good candidate if he goes to Houston(and that's where I see him going if he leaves LA) Houston loves to shoot 3s which could make him a good fit, much like Orlando. I'd be interested to see how the dynamic with Harden would work out, though.

Amare's scoring certainly comes to mind (being a Spurs fan). His scoring was beastly. Although the Spurs defense was kind of geared for him to go off and it was a Stockton-Malone kind of relationship in Phoenix. Still it was sick.

Yeah, I thought he had a few because of that Spurs series, and remembered a few big games aside from that. Not to say the context you mentioned isn't important, but still impressive. He did average 25+ in a season 3 times, including 1 without Nash, so there's no question he could score.

Robinson's 1 forty+ point game surprises me more than Kareem, but in another way it doesn't. Just didn't feel that was his nature, despite being what would easily be a top-3 scorer in todays league let alone his own league.

Didn't really surprise me much for the reason you stated. And because he didn't have a ton of playoff games before the back injury. Only 53, which obviously limits the chance. His 40 point game was actually a 40/20 game vs the Suns in the '96 first round.

After watching Dirk's Chicago game...... in which he:

35 points (14-17 FG)
7 rebounds

And he scored like the last 8-10 points for the Mavs to win the game...... he still can do it.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4673212/dirk-nowitzki-game-winner-o.gif

No question he's still a capable player. I just wouldn't bet on it since he's 35, averaged 17 ppg and 31 mpg this season and has had more injuries in recent years than he did much of his career.

The Macho Man
06-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Blake, LMA, ZBo

Imma say big Drew Bynum though

Jacks3
06-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Did you clowns watch Dwight in the playoffs? :oldlol:

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
No question he's still a capable player. I just wouldn't bet on it since he's 35, averaged 17 ppg and 31 mpg this season and has had more injuries in recent years than he did much of his career.

Understand that thinking. But his usage rate was way down in the regular season. It is always that way in the regular season. Dirk has always been one of those players (like Duncan) who doesn't care much about stats in the regular season. So it isn't that he coasts per se he just doesn't ratchet it up until the games really matter. And a meaningless game in January against Charlotte doesn't really matter. The Mavs are going to win so Dirk doesn't try and go out there and get "his"......

But in the playoffs? His usage rate increases and he looks to score a lot more. So while the odds are definitely against him scoring that much again.... I wouldn't put it past him......

TheFan
06-07-2013, 09:21 PM
People saying Nowitzki... Dirk is an amazing player... one of the best in the NBA... but it clearly says Big man... you know as in Howard, Shaq, Bynum, etc.

The odds says that the next will be Howard... Im sure he did it with Orlando.

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-07-2013, 09:31 PM
People saying Nowitzki... Dirk is an amazing player... one of the best in the NBA... but it clearly says Big man... you know as in Howard, Shaq, Bynum, etc.

http://youtu.be/6YECQLJV2fY

http://youtu.be/0lIAGHHGkXU

La Frescobaldi
06-08-2013, 12:35 AM
If they keep this year's team together and don't have all the injuries , they will be in the playoffs next season.
Their roster as designed would have been a 4 or 5 seed this season in the West but injuries destroyed them.
If Shved is hot from 3, Love could get 50 in a playoff game

andremiller07
06-08-2013, 12:38 AM
If they keep this year's team together and don't have all the injuries , they will be in the playoffs next season.
Their roster as designed would have been a 4 or 5 seed this season in the West but injuries destroyed them.
If Shved is hot from 3, Love could get 50 in a playoff game
Yeah Twolves, healthy are def a playoff team but the problem is there 4 main guys are all injury prone as, Ak47, Pek, KLove & Rubio always miss time. If they get get a athletic SG (draft/trade) who can finish well on breaks imo they are not a team you wanna mess around with in the playoffs. I really hope they all stay healthy I want to see what this team can do.

Bandito
06-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Does Lebron counts as a big man? Because he has score 40+ a couple of times...

SCdac
04-09-2014, 03:53 PM
bump for some last minute predictions

Griffin's had a solid season could see him getting hot in the right circumstances

LoneyROY7
04-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Blake.

blazersfan52
04-09-2014, 04:00 PM
I'd venture to guess Aldridge, but wouldn't put money on it.

Flash31
04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Big Men so PF or C

Either Bosh,Al jefferson,Dwight,Aldridge,Blake

If Dwight gets hacked enough an is scoring good
If Al Jefferson gets the ball enough times
If Griffin goes on a scoring burst with paul assisting or him carrying scoring load
If teams forget about Bosh and he catches fire from 3,mid range

Most likely is Blake

Quizno
04-09-2014, 04:03 PM
most likely is blake followed by al jeff

rufuspaul
04-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Big Men so PF or C

Either Bosh,Al jefferson,Dwight,Aldridge,Blake

If Dwight gets hacked enough an is scoring good
If Al Jefferson gets the ball enough times
If Griffin goes on a scoring burst with paul assisting or him carrying scoring load
If teams forget about Bosh and he catches fire from 3,mid range

Most likely is Blake

That just absolutely kills me when he does that.

SCdac
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
o man I forgot Al Jeff. Couple years ago with the Jazz he didn't crack 30 points let alone 40, but he's having a great season. Check Shaqattack's post (whatever happened to him?) in pg 2 or so to see what other players have done this

SCdac
04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
I'd venture to guess Aldridge, but wouldn't put money on it.

shoulda put money on it lol, dude's a beast :applause: