PDA

View Full Version : most boring series ever? Thank the Spurs

mark
06-07-2013, 08:49 PM
http://qctimes.com/sports/basketball/nba-finals-game-tv-viewership-declines/article_a62af042-7323-5bb5-b734-3f174f8a0347.html

Johnny Jones
06-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Spurs play fundamental team basketball. How are they ''boring''?

ConanRulesNBC
06-07-2013, 08:52 PM
I used to be one of those fans who thought the Spurs were boring. And in 2003 and 2005 and even in 2007 they were a little boring. This team though? No way. This is not the same type of Spurs team that won those years. This Spurs team is really fun to watch.

Le Shaqtus
06-07-2013, 09:10 PM
If you're saying last nights game is boring then you must hate basketball.

Nebraskanball
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
The only people that think the Spurs are boring are people that don't actually like and/or understand basketball.

The Heat are the most boring team in the league, if anything.

Purch
06-07-2013, 09:12 PM
The quality of basketball played last night, on both ends of the court, by both teams was absolutely amazing.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
The only people that think the Spurs are boring are people that don't actually like and/or understand basketball.

Well said.

Bandito
06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I used to be one of those fans who thought the Spurs were boring. And in 2003 and 2005 and even in 2007 they were a little boring. This team though? No way. This is not the same type of Spurs team that won those years. This Spurs team is really fun to watch.
2005 was boring? To me that was the most exciting Finals I ever seen. The Pistons and the Spurs went at it every minute of every play until the last 2 minutes when the Pistons couldn't do anymore. From a basketball fan POV that was one of the best Finals of the decade. Maybe is because I am more of a team play kind of fan than individuals.

ukfan22
06-07-2013, 09:14 PM
it was lower than the last two seasons, but higher than the previous six

that includes three Lakers appearances, including two Lakers/Celtics

KnicksWolves
06-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Last night's game was thoroughly enjoyable, entertaining, and exciting. Good basketball with minimal ref interference is never boring. Great execution by the Spurs to close out the game, and an epic shot by Tony to seal the deal. Only boring to the uneducated.

JMT
06-07-2013, 09:15 PM
http://qctimes.com/sports/basketball/nba-finals-game-tv-viewership-declines/article_a62af042-7323-5bb5-b734-3f174f8a0347.html

So you decide whether a series/team is boring after one game, based on TV viewership?

You have some real in-depth knowledge of the game.

JMT
06-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Last night's game was thoroughly enjoyable, entertaining, and exciting. Good basketball with minimal ref interference is never boring. Great execution by the Spurs to close out the game, and an epic shot by Tony to seal the deal. Only boring to the uneducated.

This.

Jameerthefear
06-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Was just about to post that. The NBA has gotten more popular. In my opinion that 2010/2011 series was definitely better than OKC/MIA. Maybe not Dallas vs Miami though.

NASH = BEST
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Who gives a fvck about the ratings!

Last night's game was far from boring and had nothing to do with ratings.

hitmanyr2k
06-07-2013, 09:21 PM

I don't know how it's possible the Spurs were boring back then. Prime Ginobili and the younger, speedster version of Parker used to do outlandish shit in games that made Popovich pull his hair out. They've slowed down now. Ginobili is no longer crossing defenders up or going behind the back and dunking on guys. Parker is no longer out-quicking everyone on the floor (even though he's still pretty damn fast) so I don't know how they're suddenly more fun to watch.

Haymaker
06-07-2013, 09:23 PM
If NBA teams were rock genres, the Spurs would be prog-rock.

Bandito
06-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't know how it's possible the Spurs were boring back then. Prime Ginobili and the younger, speedster version of Parker used to do outlandish shit in games that made Popovich pull his hair out. They've slowed down now. Ginobili is no longer crossing defenders up or going behind the back and dunking on guys. Parker is no longer out-quicking everyone on the floor (even though he's still pretty damn fast) so I don't know how they're suddenly more fun to watch.
He probably didn't watch the NBA after 2011...:roll:

ConanRulesNBC
06-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I really enjoy watching the Spurs right now. But be honest. They were very boring back in 2003 and 2005. Spurs vs. Pistons might have been a great defensive series but I don't know how even the most hardcore basketball fan couldn't find that boring. The Spurs are way more entertaining to watch now than they were back then. Plus I HATED Bruce Bowen. Couldn't stand him. I started to actually like the Spurs after he left. I really like the Spurs right now. Plus yeah while Duncan and Ginobili were both in their primes back then and fun to watch I'd rather watch Tony Parker running things like he is right now. And Duncan is still playing at a high level. And Leonard and Green are very fun to watch. Way more fun than Bruce Bowen.

ConanRulesNBC
06-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Prime Ginobili was very fun to watch. But Tony Parker right now > Tony Parker from 2003 and 2005. The past couple of seasons is the best Tony Parker has ever been.

Purch
06-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Prime Ginobili was very fun to watch. But Tony Parker right now > Tony Parker from 2003 and 2005. The past couple of seasons is the best Tony Parker has ever been.
I can agree with that. 2011 onward has been Tony Parker at his peak. 2009 was the year when Pop told Tony that he needs to run the offense, and ever since than he's really improved that jumper and played with even more aggresiveness.

But these past two years he's just been excellent

AngelEyes
06-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Yesterday' game was on at the exact same time as the Blackhawks - Kings game, that may have stolen a few viewers.

ukfan22
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Yesterday' game was on at the exact same time as the Blackhawks - Kings game, that may have stolen a few viewers.

Nobody cares about hockey

takai
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
It's boring because the Lakers aren't in it.

TheFan
06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Actually it was a quite entertaining game.

which was the largest lead? 9 points? close fight and then Parker made that shot... i was like "damn", is this for real?

AngelEyes
06-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Some people care about it, hence my comment

keep-itreal
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
It's boring to them because there are no flashy dunks from Deandre Jordan, blake griffin, or javale mcgee.

You know, stuff that only idiotic fans want to see.

kobeef24
06-07-2013, 09:48 PM

^ :cheers:

This is going to be a great series and any true basketball fan should be able to enjoy it.

AngelEyes
06-07-2013, 10:03 PM

The Blackhawks-Kings game averaged a 15.4 rating in the Chicago market compared to game 1 of the NBA finals which averaged an 8.9 rating in the Chicago market, so obviously a few viewers were stolen from the third biggest television market.

Batz
06-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Who gives a fvck about the ratings!

Last night's game was far from boring and had nothing to do with ratings.
https://i.minus.com/i69uaXOiDQNNE.gif

JimmyMcAdocious
06-07-2013, 10:06 PM
2005 was boring? To me that was the most exciting Finals I ever seen. The Pistons and the Spurs went at it every minute of every play until the last 2 minutes when the Pistons couldn't do anymore. From a basketball fan POV that was one of the best Finals of the decade. Maybe is because I am more of a team play kind of fan than individuals.

ikr? 2005 was an amazing Finals. Great games, great level of play, went the distance, memorable moments, two genuinely elite teams. It was a dynasty against a team that would have been a mini dynasty (back to back). That's rare. Even had one of the all time great Finals games.

Quit watching basketball if you didn't enjoy 2005. Doesn't get much better than that.

livinglegend
06-07-2013, 10:12 PM

This!
Why is OP acting like it s the worse ratings ever? It s actually the third best in the last 9 years.
Nor did the game hadbad ratings and nor the game was boring.

DMV2
06-07-2013, 10:18 PM
ikr? 2005 was an amazing Finals. Great games, great level of play, went the distance, memorable moments, two genuinely elite teams. It was a dynasty against a team that would have been a mini dynasty (back to back). That's rare. Even had one of the all time great Finals games.

Quit watching basketball if you didn't enjoy 2005. Doesn't get much better than that.
:biggums:

The 2005 Pistons-Spurs series was the worst 7-game series ever. The only good games were Game 7 and the game in Detroit were Robert Horry scored 21 points. All the rest of the games were blow outs.

bluechox2
06-07-2013, 10:20 PM
was boring, i tuned into the last 5 minutes

LongLiveTheKing
06-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Last nights game was entertaining even though the Heat lost :(

tmacattack33
06-07-2013, 10:30 PM
There's no Kevin Durant this year, and the ratings for Game 1 only dropped 12 percent from last year's. I think that's pretty much what was expected...it might even be better than expected.

Draz
06-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I thought it was really fun.

Collie
06-07-2013, 11:36 PM
If the Heat start getting threatened for real, then expect it to pick back up again. People love rooting against the Heat.

maybeshewill13
06-07-2013, 11:46 PM
This. ****ing casuals.

SpecialQue
06-07-2013, 11:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QJrrgJ9.gif

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b587/Vickythedog123/8FEMmy4_zpsf3af28ac.gif

YAWN.

:rolleyes:

OhNoTimNoSho
06-08-2013, 12:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QJrrgJ9.gif

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b587/Vickythedog123/8FEMmy4_zpsf3af28ac.gif

YAWN.

:rolleyes:
Wtf how is ginobili even doing this wizard shit

In the second GIF there is no way he could have timed his legs being open perfectly like that

buddha
06-08-2013, 12:34 AM

DUNKS, ALLEY-OOPS, LEBRON NUMBER 1!!!1!!!111!!1!!

Mrofir
06-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Wtf how is ginobili even doing this wizard shit

In the second GIF there is no way he could have timed his legs being open perfectly like that

my thoughts exactly -- holy crap. What IS that?

jrong
06-08-2013, 04:01 AM
I'd say blame the Heat. They are the team that is supposed to be the ratings-magnet. It seems that perhaps people are over them.

bdreason
06-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Last nights game was boring? Guess I was the only one jumping around my living room then... and I don't like either of these teams. :oldlol:

BoutPractice
06-08-2013, 05:40 AM
It was a fantastic game, and contrary to what people predicted, the viewership was higher than the six years before the 2011 Finals due to the presence of the Heat.

K Xerxes
06-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Why are the viewings so low? Doesn't the Super Bowl have more than 100m people watching it?

Even 20m seems pretty low considering it's the finals of a major sport.

(I'm not from America)

FlashDwyaneWade3
06-08-2013, 06:00 AM
I'm guessing if Pop where to coach Kobe and the Lakers, LeBron and the Heat or any other big market team with that same "boring" offense, now that would be entertaining right?

Nero Tulip
06-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Why are the viewings so low? Doesn't the Super Bowl have more than 100m people watching it?

(I'm not from America)

Americans don't like basketball. It's too skillful, too fast paced, and the players aren't pusssies with tons of protective gear.

Big#50
06-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Next commish better promote teams and not divas.

ukfan22
06-08-2013, 07:06 AM

(I'm not from America)

Basketball and Baseball get about the same national ratings. In 2011, for example, Game 6 of the Finals got 24 million, Game 7 of the World Series got 25 million. NHL Game 7 got 8 million the same year.

But nothing comes close to the Super Bowl.

JohnnySic
06-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Its not because of the Spurs. The ratings are down a bit because casual fans don't care about the Heat as much anymore. Its the 3rd year of the big 3 together, its old news by now. The fact that they won their chip last year plays into it too. There isn't much drama, which is what casual fans want.

FKAri
06-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Basketball and Baseball get about the same national ratings. In 2011, for example, Game 6 of the Finals got 24 million, Game 7 of the World Series got 25 million. NHL Game 7 got 8 million the same year.

But nothing comes close to the Super Bowl.

The superbowl is also one game which helps in ratings. No one's going to miss one game that's been planned and known about weeks in advance. Plus the superbowl is watched by many people who don't even follow the NFL. It's a television event in the US.

mark
06-08-2013, 12:05 PM

agreed game was phenomenal. But fundamental doesn't sell tickets.
I am actually very disappointed with the ratings.
I am an idiotic fan to an extent though I do love high rising dunks ala Griffin / D Jordan.
Great video of Ginobli passes, that is insane wizardry at its finest.

Frozen1
06-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I can`t believe how baseball gets the same number of views of the nba.

I'm not american, and i think baseball is boring as ****, what is the point of watching a 4 hour game with a guy throwing a ball hundreds of times???

When i`m changing channels in my cable and i find a baseball game, the commentators are always talking about a paralel topic, because the game sucks so much they need to talk something to keep the spectators "enternained.

bukowski81
06-08-2013, 12:50 PM

(I'm not from America)

Well the NBA finals are multiple games and the superbowl just happens to be the second biggest sport event of the year, just behind the champions league final.

AngelEyes
06-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Americans don't like basketball. It's too skillful, too fast paced, and the players aren't pusssies with tons of protective gear.

They don't like it, but they're the best at it...

AngelEyes
06-08-2013, 12:53 PM

I'm not american, and i think baseball is boring as ****, what is the point of watching a 4 hour game with a guy throwing a ball hundreds of times???

When i`m changing channels in my cable and i find a baseball game, the commentators are always talking about a paralel topic, because the game sucks so much they need to talk something to keep the spectators "enternained.

Good thing we have you around to choose what we should watch

AngelEyes
06-08-2013, 12:54 PM

It's at least 10x more interesting than your national sport

Frozen1
06-08-2013, 01:04 PM
It's at least 10x more interesting than your national sport

Yeah, that`s why baseball is the most played sport in the world.

AngelEyes
06-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah, that`s why baseball is the most played sport in the world.

It's played in many countries, I don't give a shit if it isn't played as much as soccer or if your stupid ass doesn't like it.

Rameek
06-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Pretty much sums it up here. They actually play basketball.

wakencdukest
06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Miami is the more boring team? I mean, Lebron iso, Wade iso, pick and roll, nobody cutting, not a whole lot of ball movement. I think Indiana actually dunked the ball more than they did in the ECF, if that means anything

Shih508
06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Miami is the more boring team? I mean, Lebron iso, Wade iso, pick and roll, nobody cutting, not a whole lot of ball movement. I think Indiana actually dunked the ball more than they did in the ECF, if that means anything

Kobe iso is the most boring thing ever in NBA~

wakencdukest
06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Kobe iso is the most boring thing ever in NBA~

You're right, Kobe Iso's way too much also, and that shit gets boring. But, that's not what we're talking about is it? We're talking about how much more fluid the San Antonio offense is compared to Miami's. We're talking about motion by the players, we're talking about ball movement. It's really a thing of beauty.

tmacattack33
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM

Baseball was big in the older days and so it's popular with old folk.

I believe the NBA dominates MLB in the 18-30 yr old demographic.

It's also a nice event, kinda like a picnic or barbecue, to go to a baseball game with your family on the weekends and hang out in the sun for a while.

ralph_i_el
06-08-2013, 09:29 PM
game 1 was one of the most entertaining games I've watched in a long time so screw ratings. It's just beautiful basketball by both teams