PDA

View Full Version : What's worse, torned ACL or torn achilles?

Derivative
06-09-2013, 04:51 AM
Real talk, need someone with knowledge to comment on this.

deja vu
06-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Wait for our resident ISH doctors to comment on this. :roll:

LongLiveTheKing
06-09-2013, 04:56 AM
:roll:

dh144498
06-09-2013, 04:56 AM
achilles. your foot cant support any weight at all.

Shade8780
06-09-2013, 04:57 AM
WTF does "torned" mean? :biggums:

KokeAyne
06-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Whats the derivative of (4/5)X^(3/2) ?

Derivative
06-09-2013, 05:07 AM
WTF does "torned" mean? :biggums:

tear = present tense

torn = past tense

torned = past complete participle

shut up

Derivative
06-09-2013, 05:08 AM

not this kind of derivative

DuMa
06-09-2013, 05:17 AM
I'll say achilles. i've yet to see anyone come back the same way.

arifgokcen
06-09-2013, 05:33 AM
+1

dbk123
06-09-2013, 06:29 AM
id say achilles. hell nerlens noel tore his acl yet he is still going to be the #1 pick(most likely).

noob cake
06-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Achilles is a near death sentence. Kobe probably won't come back.

http://deadspin.com/how-an-achilles-tear-affects-nba-players-or-why-kobe-472944871

$LakerGold
06-09-2013, 06:43 AM
"TORNED?" :lol

But yeah, i'll say Achilles too. I knew someone that played for the highschool basketball team & he was the captain & he tore his Achilles .... Let's just say he wasn't the same player anymore.

KungFuJoe
06-09-2013, 07:09 AM

[(6/5)X^(1/2)]dx

Xover
06-09-2013, 07:28 AM
[(6/5)X^(1/2)]dx

Did you use the Quotient Rule for this

and oh yeah a torn Achilles is bad.

Jyap9675
06-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Supposed to be

(3/5)x^(1/2)

MJ(Mean John)
06-09-2013, 07:55 AM
The Achilles for a couple of reasons. Once Snapped, you try and get that rubber band back on that's going to support all that weight that's running and jumping ? Well see.

Plus, ACL is a lot more common. They probably have more advanced and more technology, different methods, etc to help treat it.

Achilles isn't as common, so doctors have limited sources to observe proven and or effective methods

RichieW
06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
A torn achilles at 34 is worse than a torn ACL at 24

KOBE143
06-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Elbow injury >>>

33teeth
06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
When I tore my achilles, the physical therapist told me it is the worst sports injury there is. That was two years ago and I still can't do the things I used to. Still hurts. I still don't trust it... and probably shouldn't. Achilles get poor blood supply and heal very very slowly.

NBASTATMAN
06-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Players have come back from both injuries so it's hard to say. Wilkins came back better than ever after his achilles tear. I am not so sure if any player came back better after a ACL tear.. But I could be wrong.. Both are big injuries though...

tomtucker
06-09-2013, 10:27 AM
[B]why did d

Nezty
06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
A lot of people on here probably never felt any of them. So they wouldn't know, just assume on effect on players.

TexasBloodMoney
06-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Different sport but...

Donald Butler suffered a torn achilles his rookie season and since has become one of the best inside linebackers in the nfl. It's possible to come back from a torn achilles but it's a lot harder when a player is on the downside of their career.

Both suck :(

Bandito
06-09-2013, 01:06 PM
6/5 x ^ (1/2)

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Bandito
06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
tear = present tense

torn = past tense

torned = past complete participle

shut up
Learn english, and coming from me that's pathetic.:facepalm

Derivative
06-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Learn english, and coming from me that's pathetic.:facepalm

i was joking retard

Peteballa
06-09-2013, 02:16 PM

(1.2)x^(.5)

K Xerxes
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM

:facepalm

Go back to school dude.

Peteballa
06-09-2013, 02:19 PM

It's a basic Power rule derivative. Just because you see a fraction doesn't mean you have to use quotient - think of it this way, 4/5 is just another way of saying 0.8.

waseem780
06-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Players have come back from both injuries so it's hard to say. Wilkins came back better than ever after his achilles tear. I am not so sure if any player came back better after a ACL tear.. But I could be wrong.. Both are big injuries though...
Adrian Peterson and Baron Davis came back from a torn ACL great.

ballup
06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
How do you mess up the tense of a word when you use the right tense for the same word right afterwards?

Goldrush25
06-09-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm a physician assistant so I'm probably the best you'll do, as most physicians in the US have a life.

OP is asking which is worse, a torn ACL or Achilles tendon. When I hear that question I don't know what it means exactly. Are you speaking in terms of recovery time? If so, the short answer is, it depends.

I've read that the average recovery time for both in athletes is about 8 months, but there are too many factors to take into account when it comes to predicting individual rehab times. Age, the sport they play, the type of surgical procedure used (there are a number of ways to repair ACLs and Achilles' tendons) and the patient's motivation to rehab all mean something.

Often a big problem is that you have to train your muscles (quadriceps for ACLs, lower foot muscles for Achilles) differently to adjust to the new tendon, because surgeons will often use grafts from other areas to replace the old tendon. That tissue that they use to replace the tendon had a purpose, and now the athlete has to learn to use their muscles in a way that they didn't have to before to compensate for the tissue that they lost to the graft. Younger athletes have an easier time with that than older athletes because their muscles recover and heal faster.

I would guess that Achilles injuries would be more troublesome for basketball players if they didn't heal optimally. Basketball players have more ankle injuries than anything else.

KungFuJoe
06-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Quotient rule? Did I read it wrong? It was the constant rule + power rule.

KungFuJoe
06-09-2013, 04:52 PM
On topic...I tore my right Achilles almost two years ago. Luckily it was my "off" leg so not as bad as Kobe's.

I honestly can't say if I'm 100% or not but I can say that I don't "notice" it when I play.

KyleKong
06-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I've torn my ACL and Achilles. They both suck ass.

Teanett
06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
"torned"
:roll:

Ballin095
06-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Why are people trying to get answers for their high school homework in this thread?

R.I.P.
06-09-2013, 06:08 PM

+2

TerranOP
06-09-2013, 06:30 PM
I'll chime in here as a current med student. The two injuries are pretty different in terms of surgical recovery options and physical therapy. A torn ACL is significantly more difficult to surgically repair than a torn achilles. Swelling is generally a lot worse with a torn ACL, so there's a latent period in which the patient has to wait (3-6 weeks generally) until surgery can actually be performed. For a ruptured achilles, inflammation tends to be much less of an issue so surgery can be performed within a week or two.

In terms of the actual surgery, a ruptured achilles has a pretty straight-forward process. The tendon is reattached and strengthened using surrounding tendons (plantaris or tibialis generally). An ACL surgery is a lot tougher and more likely to result in complications. The ligament cannot simply be reattached. It has to be taken out completely and replaced with part of the hamstring or patellar tendon. It literally will never be the same, as the old ACL is simply thrown out.

However, during rehab a ruptured achilles is more of an issue. During ACL rehab, patients can walk and move around without a cast relatively quickly. They can perform normal movements much more quickly compared to someone with an torn achilles who needs to be in a cast for weeks. I'm not all that certain how the two injuries stack up when it comes to returning to normal athletic training as most patients with these injuries aren't even athletes.

TL;DR Torn ACL is harder to repair and has a higher chance of having complications, torn achilles is harder to do physical rehab with.

EDIT: In theory it should be more difficult to get back to 100% after an ACL injury since the ligament is a replacement, but I'm not sure how this actually turns out with athletes.

Le Shaqtus
06-09-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm a physician assistant so I'm probably the best you'll do, as most physicians in the US have a life.

OP is asking which is worse, a torn ACL or Achilles tendon. When I hear that question I don't know what it means exactly. Are you speaking in terms of recovery time? If so, the short answer is, it depends.

I've read that the average recovery time for both in athletes is about 8 months, but there are too many factors to take into account when it comes to predicting individual rehab times. Age, the sport they play, the type of surgical procedure used (there are a number of ways to repair ACLs and Achilles' tendons) and the patient's motivation to rehab all mean something.

Often a big problem is that you have to train your muscles (quadriceps for ACLs, lower foot muscles for Achilles) differently to adjust to the new tendon, because surgeons will often use grafts from other areas to replace the old tendon. That tissue that they use to replace the tendon had a purpose, and now the athlete has to learn to use their muscles in a way that they didn't have to before to compensate for the tissue that they lost to the graft. Younger athletes have an easier time with that than older athletes because their muscles recover and heal faster.

I would guess that Achilles injuries would be more troublesome for basketball players if they didn't heal optimally. Basketball players have more ankle injuries than anything else.

Great info :applause:

cos88
06-09-2013, 06:36 PM
http://rupturedat.blogspot.ro/2012/02/whats-worse-acl-mcl-or-at-injuries.html

a very good article about injuries.

Derivative
06-09-2013, 06:37 PM

I'll chime in here as a current med student. The two injuries are pretty different in terms of surgical recovery options and physical therapy. A torn ACL is significantly more difficult to surgically repair than a torn achilles. Swelling is generally a lot worse with a torn ACL, so there's a latent period in which the patient has to wait (3-6 weeks generally) until surgery can actually be performed. For a ruptured achilles, inflammation tends to be much less of an issue so surgery can be performed within a week or two.

In terms of the actual surgery, a ruptured achilles has a pretty straight-forward process. The tendon is reattached and strengthened using surrounding tendons (plantaris or tibialis generally). An ACL surgery is a lot tougher and more likely to result in complications. The ligament cannot simply be reattached. It has to be taken out completely and replaced with part of the hamstring or patellar tendon. It literally will never be the same, as the old ACL is simply thrown out.

However, during rehab a ruptured achilles is more of an issue. During ACL rehab, patients can walk and move around without a cast relatively quickly. They can perform normal movements much more quickly compared to someone with an torn achilles who needs to be in a cast for weeks. I'm not all that certain how the two injuries stack up when it comes to returning to normal athletic training as most patients with these injuries aren't even athletes.

TL;DR Torn ACL is harder to repair and has a higher chance of having complications, torn achilles is harder to do physical rehab with.

EDIT: In theory it should be more difficult to get back to 100% after an ACL injury since the ligament is a replacement, but I'm not sure how this actually turns out with athletes.

:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: We have alot of talent here at ISH:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: