PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant might be amnestied

iamgine
06-10-2013, 12:51 AM
The Lakers can only use the provision to players signed prior to Dec. 2011, leaving four player's eligible. Bryant, Gasol, Steve Blake and MWP are all up for grabs. Bryant is currently nursing a season-ending Achilles tear. Gasol as one year remaining on his deal and is always at risk of being cut. MWP has a player option after this season that he is expected to exercise.

The Lakers will need to make an amnesty decision that will fix the financial crisis immediately, leaving Bryant at the top of the list. Is risking a war against the franchise's top player worth the risk? It would save the Lakers over $60 million in tax obligations. Bryant has high trade value and could give Los Angeles a great player in return, but again Kupchak will have to wage this risk. Bryant is the face of the franchise and the general manager will not gain any fans by cutting him.

http://youtu.be/_2aFk9PJ19Y?t=2m2s

KingMichael23
06-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Lakers won't do it. Would be stupid.

ConanRulesNBC
06-10-2013, 12:54 AM
There's no way at this point that the Lakers would ever do this. He IS the Lakers right now. Paul Pierce is good and all but Boston can get away with doing that. The fans in Boston are smart enough to realize that the Celtics need to rebuild. The fans in LA would boycott the team if they got rid of Kobe.

Bandito
06-10-2013, 01:01 AM
If they cut him and Kobe goes to the Heat, I will laugh so much at the FO of the Lakers...

BlazersDozen
06-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Would his contract come off the books if he retired?

NASH = BEST
06-10-2013, 01:10 AM
I think a mutual agreement might be reached between the Lakers and Kobe to part ways. At this point it might benefit both if they parted ways. The Lakers could being to rebuild and Kobe can go ring chase on a team that's closer to win.

I don't think he necessarily ends up getting amnestied, or lands on a good team if he does. But after this season upcoming season it would make sense for both the Lakers and Kobe to move on.

plowking
06-10-2013, 01:29 AM
If they cut him and Kobe goes to the Heat, I will laugh so much at the FO of the Lakers...

We do need a scorer off the bench, so I think the front office would consider it on a veterans minimum.

Force
06-10-2013, 01:32 AM

Only teams under the cap are eligible to bid on amnestied players.

bluechox2
06-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Only teams under the cap are eligible to bid on amnestied players.
:roll: yea, and hes gonna whine his way out of that team also

PickernRoller
06-10-2013, 01:42 AM

:biggums: :coleman:

Anfernee
06-10-2013, 01:42 AM
So from what I understand, amnestied players can be bid upon by teams who are under the cap and the highest bid wins and the player goes to that team, but doesn't Bryant have a no trade clause? Technically being amnestied isn't a trade, but doesn't he have the power to refuse playing for another team?

bluechox2
06-10-2013, 01:45 AM
So from what I understand, amnestied players can be bid upon by teams who are under the cap and the highest bid wins and the player goes to that team, but doesn't Bryant have a no trade clause? Technically being amnestied isn't a trade, but doesn't he have the power to refuse playing for another team?
checks his track record....

told the hornets he wont play for them, so they traded him
told the lakers to trade him or bring in others to carry him, brought in gasol
if amnestied...i can only predict...tells team to cut him so he can ring chase

Johnny Jones
06-10-2013, 01:47 AM
lulz you linked coach Dick. Not watching that shit.

DuMa
06-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Its a possibility that Laker fans dont want to admit that could happen. Thing is that Lakers only have a small window to make the decision about Kobe before theyre on the hook for his stupid contract for the year

chazzy
06-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Amnestying Metta to save $30M makes more sense

bluechox2
06-10-2013, 01:54 AM
yall got that tv deal remember, who the fu ck cares, keep em all

NumberSix
06-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Fans fail to understand that that $60 million isn't pretend money. It's real world currency. You think they really wouldn't rather pocket the $60 million than pay it in tax for the sake of an aging playing on the last year of his contract who won't even play?

Ca$H
06-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Pacers would be a great candidate to get him if they amnesty/salary dump Granger. They could place a max bid on Kobe and re-sign West.

Hill
Kobe
George
West
Hibbert

coin24
06-10-2013, 02:47 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Never going to happen.. Metta or pau maybe.

Ca$H
06-10-2013, 02:50 AM

Anything is possible with Jim Buss. He did hire MDA over Phil.

Mr. Jabbar
06-10-2013, 02:52 AM
Anything is possible with Jim Buss

This. He is the master of finding ways to screw up big.

fiddy
06-10-2013, 02:53 AM
If anyone needs to amnestied is Steve Nash.

No way Pau, he is an expirer. MWP has two years left on his contract with player option for the second one. MWP's contract is not that bad compared to Steve Nash's
http://*********.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Anything is possible with Jim Buss. He did hire MDA over Phil.

Isnt Jeanie running things now?

Ca$H
06-10-2013, 02:54 AM
This. He is the master of finding ways to screw up big.

I hope Kobe gets released so he could win one more chip with the Pacers.

coin24
06-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Yeah but amnestying Kobe? Great way to piss off all of your fans..:lol
Jim buss is a retard but nobody is that stupid..

bdreason
06-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Shaq was a more dominant player when they traded him away. Not sure why people think they wouldn't drop Kobe as well.

Real Lakers fans should hope they amnesty Kobe, trade Gasol, and resign Howard... otherwise it's going to many years before they are relevant again.

NumberSix
06-10-2013, 02:59 AM
Kobe's run is over. If amnestying him can put them in better position for the future, there's no reason not to do it.

fiddy
06-10-2013, 03:00 AM
Kobe's run is over. If amnestying him can put them in better position for the future, there's no reason not to do it.
They still will be over the cap with no option for the starting SG.

NumberSix
06-10-2013, 03:07 AM
They still will be over the cap with no option for the starting SG.
The Kobe amnesty isn't the sole move they need to make.

fiddy
06-10-2013, 03:08 AM
The Kobe amnesty isn't the sole move they need to make.
Agreed. But they wont be very flexible to make a major move and build for the future.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-10-2013, 03:10 AM
Shaq was a more dominant player when they traded him away. Not sure why people think they wouldn't drop Kobe as well.

Real Lakers fans should hope they amnesty Kobe, trade Gasol, and resign Howard... otherwise it's going to many years before they are relevant again.

Before Howard was traded to LA, I suggested they amnesty Kobe back then, and trade for D-Will + Howard and rebuild their team around those 2 young superstars.

I was right

fiddy
06-10-2013, 03:13 AM
Before Howard was traded to LA, I suggested they amnesty Kobe back then, and trade for D-Will + Howard and rebuild their team around those 2 young superstars.

I was right
:roll: :roll:

**** outta here clown.

Lebron23
06-10-2013, 03:20 AM
A Perfect replacement for Ray Allen.

DuMa
06-10-2013, 03:22 AM
If anyone needs to amnestied is Steve Nash.

Nash cant be amnestied. Only player contracts made before the new CBA can be amnestied.

fiddy
06-10-2013, 03:23 AM
Nash cant be amnestied. Only player contracts made before the new CBA can be amnestied.
Damn thats one ****ed contract in that case. Anyway thanks for the input.

Ca$H
06-10-2013, 03:24 AM
I am jealous of Kobe's good looks. It lowers my self esteem and makes me feel insecure about myself. LeBron is an ugly ape so he gives me a confidence boost

Thanks for the honesty bro.

coin24
06-10-2013, 03:34 AM
You are a F*cking F@ggot. Thanks for the honesty sis!!!

Reported.

Ca$H
06-10-2013, 03:35 AM
I am a F*cking F@ggot. I have no sense of humor and I am petulant. !!!

:oldlol: :oldlol:

poido123
06-10-2013, 04:02 AM
Kobe on the Bulls team would be a great fit.

I could see this happening if he was looking to ring chase.

PG-Rose/Hinrich
SG-Bryant/Butler
SF-Deng/Butler
PF-Boozer/Taj
C-Noah/ ?

That team would cream the Heat.

Hell, if Lakers want to trade we will package boozer/Deng outa here for Kobe and fillers.

Doranku
06-10-2013, 04:41 AM
:oldlol: There is not a chance in the world that Kobe will be amnestied.

Never in a million years. Ya'll are silly.

tazb
06-10-2013, 04:47 AM
:oldlol: Please let this happen.

poido123
06-10-2013, 04:55 AM
:oldlol: There is not a chance in the world that Kobe will be amnestied.

Never in a million years. Ya'll are silly.

for the small chance that he is, will you cry? :lol:

Doranku
06-10-2013, 05:04 AM
for the small chance that he is, will you cry? :lol:
No.

I will, however, shed tears when he announces his retirement.

EricGordon23
06-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Oh snap! The mavs win the bid and then we get Kobe and Dirk 2013 - 2014 champs

livingby3's
06-10-2013, 06:12 AM
A Perfect replacement for Ray Allen.

:no: 3rd string it is

R.I.P.
06-10-2013, 06:19 AM
When I made this topic the day after he tore his achilles it was deleted for trolling. It has been created a dozen times since. :roll:

All Net
06-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Not happening..

Nash
06-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Kobe gets amnestied, get's picked up by Jordan's Charlotte.. Jordan makes sure there won't be no 6th ring.

9erempiree
06-10-2013, 06:35 AM
When I made this topic the day after he tore his achilles it was deleted for trolling. It has been created a dozen times since. :roll:

It's still a trolling thread because everyone knows the Lakers are not going to amnesty him after all these years.

Also, another team can pick him up without Lakers getting anything back.

Huge disaster from a business standpoint if they amnestied him. It would have long term ramifications. They would have to lower ticket prices at Staples because they would lose half of their fan base.

PickernRoller
06-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Only way they amnesty Bryant is if he doesn't play this season OR, he can be signed back on a much smalller contract. I am not very privvy about the rules so - if that is possible then maybe. For the benefit of the organization I can see Bryant doing it.

9erempiree
06-10-2013, 06:52 AM
If a team amnesties a player, that player goes to the a team with the highest bid and the former team, has to pay the remaining balance.

If Kobe gets amnestied:

Kobe $30 million contract.

Let's say Chicago puts a bid for $10 million and wins. Lakers still stuck for $20 million.

Why would they amnestied him? There is no team going to pick up his full contract to make it worth it for the Lakers and no team can afford one of the greatest players in history.

You can want a Kobe but you may not be able to afford a Kobe.

I'm not sure about him becoming a free agent because then a team can still throw more money at him to sign.

Amnesty isn't as great as one would think. It's dumping money. There's really no loophole around it. Only bum players are affected with this amnesty.

NBASTATMAN
06-10-2013, 09:02 AM

This would be classic.. The Heat get rid of Bosh and sign Kobe.. :rockon:

ralph_i_el
06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
If he isn't going to be able to play most of the year it would be asinine NOT to amnesty him. He can just take this season off and come right back to the Lakers. It's not like he's not getting paid this year no matter what.

This thread is full of people who don't understand salary caps and the amnesty provision.

bagelred
06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I've been saying this awhile. It's basically stupid if they DON'T amnesty him. They can just resign him next summer. Kobe is not going to be ready in November, and who knows when he'll be really ready to play.

Lakers can save like $80 million I think.....

9erempiree
06-10-2013, 09:30 AM
I've been saying this awhile. It's basically stupid if they DON'T amnesty him. They can just resign him next summer. Kobe is not going to be ready in November, and who knows when he'll be really ready to play.

Lakers can save like $80 million I think.....

There is a reason why you are not a GM of a team.

They amnesty Kobe and llets say he's ready for the season. Kobe can go to the highest bidder and Lakers get stuck with the remaining balance of the contract. They lose their meal ticket to save on luxury tax?

He makes them more money on the team than off.

That's not a gamble one should take.

Amnesty isn't as big as people think. It doesn't matter to big market teams. It's designed to help the small market teams that are stuck with these max contracts when their players no longer can produce, imagine Amare's contract on a smaller team.

bmulls
06-10-2013, 10:00 AM

They amnesty Kobe and llets say he's ready for the season. Kobe can go to the highest bidder and Lakers get stuck with the remaining balance of the contract. They lose their meal ticket to save on luxury tax?

Amnesty isn't as big as people think. It doesn't matter to big market teams. It's designed to help the small market teams that are stuck with these max contracts when their players no longer can produce, imagine Amare's contract on a smaller team.

$60 million just "doesn't matter"? :roll: This isn't monopoly money dude, this is 60 million fcking dollars for a player that isn't even going to play next season.

oh the horror
06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
At this point it's only haters calling for this.

It won't be happening. Ever.

chazzy
06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
They only have a one week window in July to use the amnesty, so they wouldn't know by then when he'd be coming back. And they may not have Dwight locked up then. So you could end up amnestying a guy who could come back by November, and your team is left without a single franchise player. Huge PR and ratings hit

oh the horror
06-10-2013, 10:21 AM
People outside of LA don't know how hostile people are toward Jim Buss.

You amnesty Kobe and that's the nail in the PR nightmare coffin IMO.

chazzy
06-10-2013, 10:23 AM
People outside of LA don't know how hostile people are toward Jim Buss.

You amnesty Kobe and that's the nail in the PR nightmare coffin IMO.
Choosing Brown over Shaw, MDA over Phil and then amnestying Kobe all within 2 years? :lol

Scholar
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Ok, so there are no actual sources on this? Just a couple of guys sitting on high stools without a table in front of them, just discussing the possibilities from the CBA?
:kobe:

If the Lakers were to amnesty KB24, it's be the biggest PR hit they've ever faced. They won't do it. Even an injured Kobe brings in more revenue through merchandise and advertising than any other player in the league not named LeBron James.

ralph_i_el
06-10-2013, 11:00 AM

obviously you have to talk to kobe first to see if he'll be back next season. If he's not going to play at all/most of the year it would be better for both parties to amnesty him and then resign him after a year. It saves them a TON of money in luxury tax penalties, plus depending on what happens with their other free agents it gives them the ability to get some new pieces for when Kobe returns.

It all comes down to if you want to make the move fans want, or the right basketball decision going forward. Do you really want to see the Lakers lose dwight, not amnesty Kobe, and then play a whole season with bottom of the barrel scrubs+Pau and Nash? Even without Dwight on the books they can't get under the projected cap even if they amnesty Metta or he refuses his team option. They would be at about 70 million under contract and the cap is going to be around 60 million.

Heck if Kobe isn't going to be able to play next year give him an asst. coach job till he's healthy then resign him! As you can see I'm not very confident on Kobe coming back and playing a meaningful amount of games next year

oh the horror
06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Choosing Brown over Shaw, MDA over Phil and then amnestying Kobe all within 2 years? :lol

That's basically franchise suicide. They're better off being in financial hell over doing that to the Lakers right now.

ILLsmak
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
That's basically franchise suicide. They're better off being in financial hell over doing that to the Lakers right now.

Well, it's interesting simply because they could do it, if they really wanted to, then blame it on him and fire him. Then they'd be free of everything and he'd be a scapegoat.

Every time I think of Kobe's ACL I think of Mike playing him like he did and know that he did it on purpose to teach Kobe a lesson. What a terrible thing to do. I don't hate Kobe, but he does piss me off at times. Still, the fact that he had to go out on a career ending-level injury (at the very least, it's possible if he plays again he won't be the same and that'll be the last big memory) because of some ego battle with a coach... is ridiculous.

The fact that they're sticking with him after that, too, wow...

-Smak

hawkfan
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Mark Cuban would love to have the Lakers amnesty Kobe because the Mavs are under the cap and can then make a bid on him.

Dirk and Kobe going out together with a few rings on the way.

dh144498
06-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Mark Cuban would love to have the Lakers amnesty Kobe because the Mavs are under the cap and can then make a bid on him.

:rockon:

My 2 favorite players playing out the last few years they have left.
:rockon:
:bowdown:

DuMa
06-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Dirk and Kobe are terrible fits for each other. both are long range shooters with bad defense. Cuban would be dumb to become the Lakers of 2012-13 in 13-14 with old ass dirt players with bad defense

kenny817
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Dirk and Kobe are terrible fits for each other. both are long range shooters with bad defense. Cuban would be dumb to become the Lakers of 2012-13 in 13-14 with old ass dirt players with bad defense

Terrible post

Smh

9erempiree
06-11-2013, 07:43 PM
$60 million just "doesn't matter"? :roll: This isn't monopoly money dude, this is 60 million fcking dollars for a player that isn't even going to play next season.

Not when they are bringing in 200 million with Kobe.

A 100 million dollar profit isn't monopoly money either.

secund2nun
06-11-2013, 08:33 PM

No way does Kobe make them 60-80 million a year of profit. They should amnesty him he is a terrible contract.

Eric Cartman
05-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Lakers making money off Kobe even if he doesn't play a single game.

Akrazotile
05-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Lakers making money off Kobe even if he doesn't play a single game.

How?

Eric Cartman
05-02-2015, 05:40 PM
How?

Merchandise, jerseys, shoes, commercials, season tickets for Kobe's final season

Not to mention the huge tv deal Kobe helped them score

Akrazotile
05-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Merchandise, jerseys, shoes, commercials, season tickets for Kobe's final season.

Kobe's merch sales at this point in his career are netting the Lakers 24+ million??

If they are , good for him. I just dont see who's buying kobe shoes and jerseys now. Hes played like 8 games in the last 2 years. The stans all have their Kobe stuff. I doubt young kids are reaching for Kobe gear anymore.

TheMarkMadsen
05-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Kobe's merch sales at this point in his career are netting the Lakers 24+ million??

If they are , good for him. I just dont see who's buying kobe shoes and jerseys now. Hes played like 8 games in the last 2 years.

and yet you bring him up every single day

outbreak
05-02-2015, 05:54 PM
and yet you bring him up every single day
It's hard not to when every single day there is 3-4 threads made by the same 3-4 posters who are in love with him....