PDA

View Full Version : Man of Steel

ErhnamDjinn
06-12-2013, 02:11 AM
couldnt wait till saturday watched opening day first screening, was a great film knew i wouldnt be disappointed, loved the new look and way they told the story, there were some parts I didnt likeand as usual the Snyder sense of flair and visuals sorta made the story thin, otherwise a great film, will discuss further when more people see it to avoid spoilers, a 8 out of 10for me.

Will be watching agin this Saturday. I heard they are already fast tracking the second movie.

ErhnamDjinn
06-12-2013, 02:17 AM
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/DLX7/MoS/Man-of-Steel-Mondo-Poster-1.jpg

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/DLX7/MoS/Man-of-Steel-Mondo-Poster-3.jpg

awesome MOS posters

Graviton
06-12-2013, 02:19 AM
It has 70% on tomatometer and already double digit rotten reviews, not looking as good as Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Seems like most cite the fact it concentrates too much on visuals and action and leaves story and characters behind. Classic Snyder, doesn't know how to balance and mix blockbuster feel with actual storytelling and character development. That's the difference between him and Nolan.

Hoping I am wrong though.

ErhnamDjinn
06-12-2013, 02:36 AM
It has 70% on tomatometer and already double digit rotten reviews, not looking as good as Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Seems like most cite the fact it concentrates too much on visuals and action and leaves story and characters behind. Classic Snyder, doesn't know how to balance and mix blockbuster feel with actual storytelling and character development. That's the difference between him and Nolan.

its kinda that way characters were not well developed they kinda wasted costner, diane lane and crowe, but this sure to be a summer blockbuster regardless.

D-Wade316
06-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Can't expect better if Goyer pens the script. Here's to hoping the Nolan brothers would write for the next film.

Myth
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM

This is what worries me.

Man of Steal: 68% (7/10 avg rating)

Superman Returns: 76% (7/10 avg rating):

Nick Young
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
shitty boring hero, think this movie will flop

JerryWest
06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
shitty boring hero, think this movie will flop
movie already flopped :facepalm

CelticBaller
06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
will watch it

DeuceWallaces
06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
I'll still see it, but it's rotten with top critics on RT which is not a good sign. Worst rated super hero movie of the past 5-7 years so far except Green Lantern.

DeuceWallaces
06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
This is what worries me.

Man of Steal: 68% (7/10 avg rating)

Superman Returns: 76% (7/10 avg rating):

Right now it's 56% with top critics.

Lakers Legend#32
06-12-2013, 03:49 PM
If the movie sucks, it's because Superman is not wearing his red undies.

LilKateMoss
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Can't wait to see this retarded super hero movie fad die.

Myth
06-12-2013, 04:04 PM

I'm a fan of most of the super hero movies. Also, there are more movies than ever being cranked out in general, so you can skip these movies if you want and still have plenty of movies to choose from.

DeuceWallaces
06-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Lol, yeah 35 years now; I'm sure the fad will die any moment. :oldlol:

Myth
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Lol, yeah 35 years now; I'm sure the fad will die any moment. :oldlol:

And they are more and more profitable too.

SuperPippen
06-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Superman is far, far too overpowered a super hero to be interesting.

Myth
06-12-2013, 04:38 PM

He really is one of my least favorite superheroes, and is easily the most overrated. If he were a newer superhero, everybody would think he is a terrible idea for a character. Most of his popularity is based on being one of the first famous heroes.

ErhnamDjinn
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
only thing I dont like about him, he's just to strong, like now that he beat Zod and his gang unless they introduce DarkSeid or another Super celestial being, who can match up to him? Dont tell me Superman 2 will be about Lex again ZZZZZZZZZZZZ :sleeping

Unlike Batman he's just to Godlike to find a decent enemy on this planet. ANd its hard to introduce Super beings(Aliens) from other Planets without looking cheesy.

bladefd
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Looks like Man of Steel is down to 65% on Rotten Tomatoes. It keeps on falling. I don't know what to take away from it.

One of my biggest rants when it comes to movies has been the shift from developing characters and stories to purely focusing on big name actors/actresses and special effects/graphics. Seems like that is getting worse and worse and many of the reviewers point to how little focus there is on character development in 'Man of Steel' and tons of focus on action/special effects/etc.

This was a movie I was REALLY looking forward to. Now I don't know anymore if I want to see this in theater.. Anybody want to try convincing me why I should ignore the reviews and still go watch this? :lol

Myth
06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Seems like that is getting worse and worse and many of the reviewers point to how little focus there is on character development in 'Man of Steel' and tons of focus on action/special effects/etc.

Which is especially not good in a movie that is an origins story.

Myth
06-12-2013, 05:38 PM
This was a movie I was REALLY looking forward to. Now I don't know anymore if I want to see this in theater.. Anybody want to try convincing me why I should ignore the reviews and still go watch this? :lol

I may see it in theaters on a weekend with nothing else going on, but I'm opting for This Is The End this weekend.

daily
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
So not real familiar with the Rotten Tomotos thing, I know what it is and understand what it is so I guess my question is

How much of the lower rating this early on do you guys think is due to the movie not meeting preconceived ideas/expectations or?

I mean it's Superman. How many times can that story be told before it's hard to come up with anything surprising?

(BTW I like Superman stuff)

Myth
06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
So not real familiar with the Rotten Tomotos thing, I know what it is and understand what it is so I guess my question is

How much of the lower rating this early on do you guys think is due to the movie not meeting preconceived ideas/expectations or?

I mean it's Superman. How many times can that story be told before it's hard to come up with anything surprising?

(BTW I like Superman stuff)

My guess is that it is fairly accurate. It isn't that they are simply saying it is underwhelming, they are saying there is no character development, which is bad in an origins story as I said earlier. And I'm worried that it is being reviewed more poorly than Superman Returns.

ErhnamDjinn
06-12-2013, 06:36 PM
My guess is that it is fairly accurate. It isn't that they are simply saying it is underwhelming, they are saying there is no character development, which is bad in an origins story as I said earlier. And I'm worried that it is being reviewed more poorly than Superman Returns.
question will that really affect the box office for this movie, I mean the average person below 12 will drag his / her mom and dad to theaters regardless, and I heard they are already fast tracking the second film.

Myth
06-12-2013, 06:40 PM
question will that really affect the box office for this movie, I mean the average person below 12 will drag his / her mom and dad to theaters regardless, and I heard they are already fast tracking the second film.

I'm guessing it will make a lot of money based on advertising being good, including attaching Nolan's name to it.

Graviton
06-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Seems like DC can't get anything right(aside from Nolan's Batman), they are trying so hard to copy Marvel and get some of that that Avengers/Iron Man profit they are ignoring what made those 2 so successful. It wasn't just action and special effects, what made those great were the compelling, funny characters, good script and at least an ok story and narrative.

DC is just skipping through the important parts and jumping into the visual set pieces to try and wow people. They shoulda learned their lesson with Green Lantern. :facepalm

Hope Marvel continues to crush them so they finally learn, lets see how Guardians of Galaxy turns out.

KingBeasley08
06-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah, bummer that this isn't as good. I'll probably still go and watch it for the Snyder action scenes but I was secretly hoping for a TDK level film.

D-Wade316
06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
So for those that have seen it, rank the old series with the new film.

1. S2(Donner's Cut)
2. SR
3. STM

I'll try to watch MOS tonight.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Was gonna see the midnight show w/ the fam. Not so sure now.

Reading the reviews, it sounds like everyone enjoyed Cavill as Superman, just not the script, err lack of substance and dialogue they gave him. The comparison to transformers is what really disappoints me.

eriX
06-12-2013, 11:28 PM
nolan should've just sacked snyder and directed it himself... is it that hard to just literally copy the dark knights template...

miller-time
06-13-2013, 12:23 AM

I guess his issue is fitting in with society. I mean you can be dismissive and say that he could do whatever he wants, but it would probably be a pretty lonely existence, with people only liking you because of what you are, not who you are. But it seems more like a storyline that only celebrities can identify with. Maybe. I suppose everyone struggles with fitting in for some reason or another. But we watch superhero movies to escape out existence, not reflect on it. I don't know, Superman just doesn't fit in anywhere lol.

Noah Rose
06-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Flop of Steel?

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt114/xeno0000/LOL%20GIFs/LOL%20GIFs%202/Flop_of_Steel_zps05025a44.jpg

Borderline to rotten territory... oy vey.

Meticode
06-13-2013, 12:50 AM
I try not to take too much into what critics and other people that rate movies say. I'm interested in going to see it, I want to go see it, I will go see it.

Some movies I love, but got a sub-par rating on RT.com...

The Last Samurai (65%)
The Fountain (51%)

...plus a number of others. It's just all dependent upon taste. One of the greatest movies of our era (American History X) only gets an 82% when 96% of the audience liked the movie.

Don't read so much into the numbers all the time. Iron Man 3 got like a 78% when it no where near deserved that.

Immortal Bum
06-13-2013, 01:14 AM
called it. the first seasons of smallville will remain the most entertaining superman has been and ever will be on motion picture.

DonDadda59
06-13-2013, 01:18 AM
They released a 30 sec clip about a week ago and the acting by Cavill was terrible and the dialogue was cheesy as hell. I was hoping that it was just an anomaly and not an indication of the film's quality in general. Looks like that might not be the case.

Shame, I was really looking forward to this one. Most people focused on Nolan and Goyer being involved as signs that it would be great, but overlooked Snyder who is a big time hit or miss director (see the abomination that was 'Sucker Punch').

Nolan should've just run the show himself.

Graviton
06-13-2013, 01:39 AM
They shoulda just used an actor that could actually act, not a guy in a good physical shape alone. Henry Cavill is C tier actor, even Chris Hemsworth had some humorous charm and charisma on screen. But seems like Cavill is too dull and serious.

magic chiongson
06-13-2013, 02:17 AM
too dull and serious.

that's superman

Immortal Bum
06-13-2013, 02:17 AM
They shoulda just used an actor that could actually act, not a guy in a good physical shape alone. Henry Cavill is C tier actor, even Chris Hemsworth had some humorous charm and charisma on screen. But seems like Cavill is too dull and serious.

that's superman.

Graviton
06-13-2013, 02:35 AM
Lol no wonder the movie failed, the key to all the successful superhero movies so far has been the subtle humor and charisma. Even in Nolan's Batman trilogy there were some intentionally or even unintentionally funny moments. Otherwise the film becomes no different than Transformers.

ErhnamDjinn
06-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Was gonna see the midnight show w/ the fam. Not so sure now.

Reading the reviews, it sounds like everyone enjoyed Cavill as Superman, just not the script, err lack of substance and dialogue they gave him. The comparison to transformers is what really disappoints me.
yeah kinda reminded me of transformers with the cube being the codex here. I wasnt dissappointed but thought it could have been better.

D-Wade316
06-13-2013, 05:32 AM
They released a 30 sec clip about a week ago and the acting by Cavill was terrible and the dialogue was cheesy as hell. I was hoping that it was just an anomaly and not an indication of the film's quality in general. Looks like that might not be the case.

Shame, I was really looking forward to this one. Most people focused on Nolan and Goyer being involved as signs that it would be great, but overlooked Snyder who is a big time hit or miss director (see the abomination that was 'Sucker Punch').

Nolan should've just run the show himself.
:biggums:

bagelred
06-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but I was so pysched for this movie....what a disappointment it's getting mediocre reviews.

All the reviews say not enough character development and too big, loud, and clunky. :rolleyes: What a cliche. It's like the classic mistake to make. How hard is it to do real character development and throw in humor. Every "reboot" nowadays takes out the quiet character development and human element, for loud big action and "cold" characters. This is what people like?

I knew when I heard this "300" director was making this that it might be a problem. Ugh....

oh well.......putting VHS "Superman II" into VCR.......Michael Jackson popcorn gif.........:rockon:

bagelred
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
1. S2(Donner's Cut)
2. SR
3. STM

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

:hammerhead:

Scholar
06-13-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm disappointed now that I know this movie isn't getting reviewed well. Like the majority of you, I expected it to be on par with TDK. :lebroncry:

treadster
06-13-2013, 10:52 AM
damn, i was expecting so much, then again this is the time for summer blockbuster.

Immortal Bum
06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
i don't get how people thought it would be epic...even the trailers were boring. usually even a crappy movie has a decent trailer, but the mos trailers were boring, which means they couldn't find anything interesting themselves to preview it lol

-p.tiddy-
06-13-2013, 12:41 PM
never had much hope for Superman...

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/12/TheWolverine_poster_intl_sfw-610x903.jpg

^^^ got my figures crossed for that

intrinsic
06-13-2013, 01:05 PM
That's exactly why I like the Superman character. Heat vision, flight and x-ray vision are neat powers, but I still approach superheroes/comics with the same mentality i had as a child.

Myth
06-13-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm disappointed now that I know this movie isn't getting reviewed well. Like the majority of you, I expected it to be on par with TDK. :lebroncry:

Who else was expecting it to be as good as TDK? :biggums:

I was hoping it could be as good as Iron Man, but Superman is not interesting enough to make a movie on par with TDK.

Noah Rose
06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
It's getting worse and worse by the hour:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/347/manofsteelrotten.png

#Rotten

Derka
06-13-2013, 04:08 PM
One thing you can't do going into a Superman movie is expect there to be meaningful character development. He's a completely uninteresting personality outside of "oh wow, he's a superstrong flying alien!". He wasn't intended to be much more than a guy of supreme moral character and physical gifts who fights off increasingly savage attacks against his adopted home. And I understand expectations are high with Nolan's name on there...but he neither wrote nor directed it and furthermore if Zack Snyder is directing...you already know what you're going to get.

So...don't bug me with Superman's inner conflicts and some forced introspection on how hard it is to belong when you look like everyone else but happen to be the paragon of strength that they will never be. And I'm not interested in seeing Zod developed into a multi-layered villainous masterpiece a la Joker 2.0. Just make him crazy and willing to do anything to take Kal-El down, make the havoc he causes look good on screen.

We all know Superman is going to win...something or someone will temporarily knock him down and he will just go all Superman on that ass, start throwing half of Metropolis around and win in the end. Just give me some of that high falootin' summertime entertainment I want out of this movie by making it look awesome.

The one thing I won't do is approach any Superman story, regardless of who makes it, expecting something other than popcorn cinema.

LBJMVP
06-13-2013, 04:10 PM
just got see this is the end.

better choice then superman

movie was f*ckin hilarious.

-p.tiddy-
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
okay let's not pretend like it is completely impossible to make a good Superman movie because "his character isn't interesting"

it is completely possible to make Superman "interesting"...they just failed at it (so it seems)

NoGunzJustSkillz
06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
batman begins wasn't that great either imo..

bootsy
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
:facepalm It was the best of the Nolan trilogy. The only true Batman film of the trilogy. Not to say the other two didn't but Begins felt like a Batman movie.

Lebron23
06-14-2013, 12:35 AM
I am gonna watch it tomorrow.

D-Wade316
06-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you. It was even worse the last time I watched it. I downgraded it to 7/10.

D-Wade316
06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

STM sucked dude.

raiderfan19
06-14-2013, 08:17 AM
It's better than begins. Not nearly as good as tdk but still very very good. Im obviously one of the biggest comic book fans on this site but for me it's only behind tdk, iron man and maybe the avengers among recent comic movies

bagelred
06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
STM sucked dude.

Jailblazers7
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
It's getting worse and worse by the hour:

#Rotten

Honestly, I don't give a **** what expert reviewers have to say about a superhero movie. I might look into reviews if the movie is more of an arthouse or indie type of film but superhero movies are made for the general audience. Avg viewer score is 4.2/5 with 82% saying they like it.

I also think Superman has gotten a bad reputation as an uninteresting character. There are plenty of compelling directions that the character can go in and, based on the trailer, Man of Steel seems to take one of them.

Bucket_Nakedz
06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm a fan of most of the super hero movies.
:coleman:

critic/editorial reviews are stupid. not everyone share the same taste in movies. this movie looks good, but im kinda pissed that they have that red headed b!tch as lois lane. shes overrated, and could have used some new booty. the chick who plays zods right hand looks hot doe

Derka
06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Someone whose opinion on cinema I value greatly said Man Of Steel was fantastic. Better than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises, not up to The Dark Knight standards.

I'll be seeing this tomorrow afternoon for sure.

-p.tiddy-
06-14-2013, 12:48 PM
I am hearing that there is great action scenes and that the fight between Zod and Superman is epic...story just sucks

I think people are just sick of the whole "super hero gets power, father figure dies, then he realizes he inherits huge amounts of responsibility and must save Earth" story line...it's basically the exact same story as Spider Man...and NOT that much different than Batman either, whose parents die and uses his "power" (money) to save the world.

This is why I view The Watchmen as the best 'super-hero' movie to date...it is actually completely outside of that same cookie cutter format that every other Super Hero flick is in...Watchmen is groundbreaking IMO

Rose
06-14-2013, 01:10 PM
4 of my friends saw it and absolutely hated it. One of which I highly value his opinion on. Said it was typical Zack Snyder bullshit, not surprised.

97 bulls
06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I dont understand all the Superman hate. Sure hes incredibly strong etc. So was Incredible Hulk. Why did that or those movies do so well?

Truth be told, all Super Hero movies are "cheesy". How can anyone take a grown man it tights serious? If youre going to watch Superman for the story, you should be disappointed. I mean its an ACTION MOVIE. Not a love story, or a drama. If I go see a horror movie, I want it to be scary. Not sad or funny.

ErhnamDjinn
06-14-2013, 02:41 PM
I dont understand all the Superman hate. Sure hes incredibly strong etc. So was Incredible Hulk. Why did that or those movies do so well?

Truth be told, all Super Hero movies are "cheesy". How can anyone take a grown man it tights serious? If youre going to watch Superman for the story, you should be disappointed. I mean its an ACTION MOVIE. Not a love story, or a drama. If I go see a horror movie, I want it to be scary. Not sad or funny.
I dont think the Hulk movies did well Ang Lees was a bomb so they re did it with Ed Norton, while not a flop it wasnt exactly a big movie hence they removed Norton from Avengers.

Also I think what made Hulk interesting was he was torn between two personalities, like Jekyl and Hyde, and the other personality was starting to take over, This is basically the same as Superman 2 re told again with better effects. Plus I guess everyone already knows Supermans Origin story, I wouldnt say it sucked but its basically a Snyder movie of lens flare , great visuals and all action.

kentatm
06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
I dont think the Hulk movies did well Ang Lees was a bomb so they re did it with Ed Norton, while not a flop it wasnt exactly a big movie hence they removed Norton from Avengers.

They removed Norton b/c he is a pain in the ass to work with. He wanted to have lots of input on the script and more money than his trouble was worth.

rezznor
06-14-2013, 02:57 PM

superman is perfect, and seriously overpowered. if he doesnt want to be superman anymore he just puts on his glasses. also, he's a boyscout. boring. most of the other popular heroes (especially Marvel ones) have problems. Hulk is jekyll/hyde wh can't control his temper. spiderman is an awkward loser as peter parker. the x-men have to deal with prejudice. etc etc.

-p.tiddy-
06-14-2013, 03:40 PM
superman is perfect, and seriously overpowered. if he doesnt want to be superman anymore he just puts on his glasses. also, he's a boyscout. boring. most of the other popular heroes (especially Marvel ones) have problems. Hulk is jekyll/hyde wh can't control his temper. spiderman is an awkward loser as peter parker. the x-men have to deal with prejudice. etc etc.
I'm not really a comic guy but I thought they went on to add all sorts of character issues for him later on? Didn't the comics get dark and gritty? Doesn't Superman actually die in the comics?

Also, I am reading that Clark Kent doesn't exist in this movie...

ErhnamDjinn
06-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not really a comic guy but I thought they went on to add all sorts of character issues for him later on? Didn't the comics get dark and gritty? Doesn't Superman actually die in the comics?

Also, I am reading that Clark Kent doesn't exist in this movie...
They killed him because they needed to add spice to the storyline, sales of Superman were low they decided to end it by killing him, his death actually did the opposite and they decided to continue the story.

with regards to the movie

Since this is pre Daily Planet supes, yes basically he's not there, but he eventually becomes Clark reporter at the end of the movie.

The reason I think some people are turned of at Supes is his near perfectness and being just so pure. I really did not enjoy the old Supermans of Reeve since it was to old school comics ala Batman of Adam West, the Routh Superman was ok paid a little to much Homage plus he didnt have any material to work with. I still think the best adaption was Smallville Supes atleast the 1st couple of seasons. Henry Cavill did a good job and this movie was good but not great.

raiderfan19
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Jailblazers, you will love it.

And for people complaining about him being a boyscout, he isn't in this movie. Also this is the first superman movie where he really fights.(no the fights in 2 and 4 don't count)

nightprowler10
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Planning on watching this tonight.

Noah Rose
06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Emotional review by Mark Waid - author of Superman Birthright which Man of Steel is based on - wrote a deep review why MOS is bad:

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

So it's basically all mindless even the action scenes that do not make sense.

Apparently just watching it dumbs you down.

Sounds like MOS is just a movie for dummies who don't even care for the how/why (insert action) is happening.

The-Legend-24
06-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Rotten Tomatoes. :oldlol: Who gives a fvck how they rate shit.

bdreason
06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I think Superman is one of the least interesting superhero's.

bagelred
06-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Rotten Tomatoes. :oldlol: Who gives a fvck how they rate shit.
:rolleyes: So you waste your time and money going to see a movie without checking reviews? OK.....how was White Chicks? Pretty good?

Scholar
06-14-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm so disappointed that I don't know if I even want to watch it in theaters.

raiderfan19
06-14-2013, 07:44 PM
It's good. Quit reading those reviews. It's not true to the comics but it's good

LongLiveTheKing
06-14-2013, 10:34 PM
The action was cool, but they only explained Zod and not the other 2 aliens. A lot of the movie was dumb, and the konex or whatever the **** it's called just gets thrown in there, I had no idea what it was.
Marvel all the way!

Vragrant
06-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Based on the mediocre reviews Im curious how much Nolans' vision had on it. I always thought stylistically he was a perfect fit for Batman, but I was not so sure about Superman though.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-15-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm waiting for the 10:50 IMAX show!! :D Bought my tickets earlier this morning. Later tonight or sometime tomorrow I'll let you guys know what I think.

btw, IMDb has it at 8.4/10; looks like most audiences enjoyed it.

Jordan-esque
06-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Based on the mediocre reviews Im curious how much Nolans' vision had on it. I always thought stylistically he was a perfect fit for Batman, but I was not so sure about Superman though.

http://screenrant.com/superman-man-of-steel-zack-snyder-chris-nolan

Henry Cavill: "Man of Steel is Zack Snyder's baby, and not Chris Nolan"

Henry Cavill:

“Chris Nolan wasn’t there during the production itself, although I’m sure Zack had a phone call or two with him, but this is definitely Zack’s baby. He was the man in charge, and we created the character together, as opposed to having too many outside influences.”

The-Legend-24
06-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Shit was epic! Oh and, Amy Adams, I love her. :bowdown:

Patrick Chewing
06-15-2013, 01:56 AM
^ Amy Adams was the worst part. Her acting was awful, and I hate how she falls so quickly in love with him.

Aside from that, the costumes, CGI, and the fight scenes were awesome.

Riddler
06-15-2013, 03:31 AM
http://trevmurphy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ebay_aceo_non.jpg

http://trevmurphy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ebay_aceo_ursa.jpg

When Superman fights these two MFers at the same time... it was one of the best action scenes I've ever seen... much better than the fight with Zod.

movie was great... glad I ignored Rotten Tomatoes.

^ Amy Adams was the worst part. Her acting was awful,

I agree... she was the worst part. Not that I give a f*ck about her character or the any of the romance in this film, I just wish they picked a different actress.

Doctor K
06-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Great film, I enjoyed it.

Dark Knight > Dark Knight Returns > Man of Steel > Batman Begins

:pimp:

D-Wade316
06-15-2013, 07:06 AM
^ Amy Adams was the worst part. Her acting was awful, and I hate how she falls so quickly in love with him.

Aside from that, the costumes, CGI, and the fight scenes were awesome.
Nope. Cavill was worse.

D-Wade316
06-15-2013, 07:08 AM
1. S2 (Donner's Cut)
2. MOS
3. SR
4. STM

D-Wade316
06-15-2013, 07:17 AM
The film falls apart by the 2nd half. Biggest issue is the script. It was mindless action from thereon when General Zod threatened earth. Choppy editing, shaky cam. Cavill is underwhelming. Shannon and Crowe were the best actors. Amy Adams is fine except when she screams, and she is infinitely better than Margot Kidder. I did like the art direction though.

Goyer should never write again, EVER.

sommervilleCdn
06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
If u didn't like shaky cam

Another poster from the other pages had a a mark waid link /review. And he explained how shaky cam was chosen stylistic ( right term?) was meant to give us the perspective of what it would be like, if another human saw an alien land on our planet (supes) and they were following superman around...:cheers:

/srry about run on sentences.no time to edit
//will prolly catch a matinee

highwhey
06-15-2013, 11:24 AM
I liked it a lot. 8/10 but as far as superman movies go, it's a 10/10. The fact that this did not feature any kryptonite makes the movie watchable. Plus, the plot wasn't terrible by any means. They gave us enough insight into his past without boring us about his childhood. I really liekd the piano whenever he remembered his mother.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Best Superman movie up to date. Very entertaining and well done. The CGI and visual effects were a bit much, but hey, it's a comic/action flick right? Storyline was actually good enough to stand on its own contrary to what the reviews say on RT.

Overall? I'd give it a solid 8/10. Like others, I also think this might have been better than Begins, or at least on par with it.

Real Men Wear Green
06-15-2013, 04:32 PM
It was entertaining, not as good as the recent Batman films but I didn't feel like I wasted money.

Also, man has Lawrence Fishburne gotten fat.

sc19
06-15-2013, 04:48 PM
B grade movie at best. Below Dark Knight and Iron Man franchise.

Patrick Chewing
06-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Also, one thing that annoyed me and didn't make any sense is why Cal's suit had a cape on it. The only time he ever wore a red cape was years earlier when he was a little kid, however he conveniently has a cape on his suit when his father gives it to him. Pure coincidence? Or stupid writing? They could've added the cape afterwards and used visuals of back when he was a kid and tried to connect the two.

bagelred
06-15-2013, 07:09 PM
FYI, The Dark Knight Rises premieres on HBO at 8 PM tonight. Set yo DVRs.

KingBeasley08
06-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up :cheers:

Derka
06-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Enjoyed the heck out of it. Not up to Dark Knight standards but with Zach Snyder at the helm, you know what you're in for.

Cavill was alright...doesn't brim with confidence and certainly isn't charismatic enough to be a leading man right now, but he could get there.
Zod was executed brilliantly.
Jor-el was great.
Amy Adams remains hot as all hell.

Effects were great. Action was terrific. Script wasn't anything mind-blowing.

DonDadda59
06-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Decent Summer popcorn flick, 7/10.

Meticode
06-15-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm expecting a strong 7/10 form me or at 8/10. From reading what people are typing I'm expecting and a lot of CGI which will take away from the acting of the film. Which saddens me slightly, but I still expect it to be the best Superman movie to date. Plan to see it Monday.

ConanRulesNBC
06-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Great movie. Only problem is I don't know how well Henry Cavill is yet. Yeah, he looks the part. But he had no dialogue. We didn't see him as Clark Kent until the last 5 minutes of the movie. Christopher Reeves, IMO, is still the best Superman ever. If only they had the technology/CGI to pull off a movie like this back then.

Also, yeah, like someone already pointed out it was nowhere near as good as Nolan's Batman trilogy. Maybe the second one will be better. I mean The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were better than Batman Begins. So I guess we'll see now that they got this movie out of the way and re-introduced Superman to us maybe the second one will be better. I wonder who they'll get to play Lex Luthor. I was thinking if they go with a younger Lex Luthor in this one they should get another Boardwalk Empire actor Michael Pitt.

ConanRulesNBC
06-15-2013, 10:14 PM

Haha, I saw it at the show, I own it on Blu-Ray and yet I still had to watch it on HBO tonight.

D-Wade316
06-16-2013, 01:02 AM
If u didn't like shaky cam

Another poster from the other pages had a a mark waid link /review. And he explained how shaky cam was chosen stylistic ( right term?) was meant to give us the perspective of what it would be like, if another human saw an alien land on our planet (supes) and they were following superman around...:cheers:

/srry about run on sentences.no time to edit
//will prolly catch a matinee
I know that it was a conscious decision, but sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.

5/10:coleman:

D-Wade316
06-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Only in the US :cry:

Lakers Legend#32
06-16-2013, 03:36 AM
Grade C-

In 1978 Hollywood made the perfect Superman movie with Christoper Reeve. MOS is just CGI bludyeoning.

shadow
06-16-2013, 04:30 AM
Emotional review by Mark Waid - author of Superman Birthright which Man of Steel is based on - wrote a deep review why MOS is bad:

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

So it's basically all mindless even the action scenes that do not make sense.

Apparently just watching it dumbs you down.

Sounds like MOS is just a movie for dummies who don't even care for the how/why (insert action) is happening.
So basically Snyder strikes again. Nolan couldn't or didn't care to reign him in. I guess watchmen continues to be an anomaly in his quest to be Michael bay 2.0. I pre-purhcased tickets to watch this so I'll end up watching it anyway tomorrow but with lowered expectations.

bagelred
06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Grade C-

In 1978 Hollywood made the perfect Superman movie with Christoper Reeve. MOS is just CGI bludyeoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8a8nx84aAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQXLQEcwjU

sommervilleCdn
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
:cry: damn u son. Is it just me but its getting a bit dusty over hear. making me tear man

embersyc
06-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Not really a fan of the visual style of this movie. It gets a little video-gamey at times with all the CGI, and the rigid movement of the bad guys, and the over-the-shoulder cam stuff.

Also one question I am left dumbstruck about is why the **** the Kryptonians didn't use their advance technology that let them terraform and colonize hundreds of planets to, I dunno, leave the ****ing planet.

I was always a huge fan of SM2 growing up, and I'm glad that this movie seems to give much more back story for Zod, but in the end I think it sort of fell flat. A lot of the excitement of the movie dies with Krypton and never really comes back. The movie seems over and then the final fight begins, which I might add has a piss poor anti-climatic finish as well.

I never saw Superman Returns, so I can't compare it to that. It beats out older Superman movies at this point, only because they seem so badly dated when watching them now, so the story needed to be refreshed. However, this movie is barely better than Green Lantern. They could have done a much better job. Much better. Not really disappointed, didn't expect much, I knew Nolan was only an Executive Producer and had limited involvement.

I can only assume part 2 will introduce Lex Luthor (saw a few Lex Corp signs in this one) and Kyptonite and it will be all downhill from there.

Lakers Legend#32
06-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Superman deserves better than Man of Steel.

shadow
06-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Watched it, didn't think it was too bad. Lowered expectations helped I guess. I really enjoyed the fight scenes. Finally supesy gets justice done in the action arena. Story was meh as expected. The best parts were the flashbacks to his childhood and I wish there were more of them. His parents were awesome characters and they could've used more screen time.

magic chiongson
06-17-2013, 07:56 AM
i liked it. final boss battle took too long & ended up anticlimactic though.

7/10

Bandito
06-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Grade C-

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7400000/Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

Scholar
06-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Even though I kept telling myself not to watch it because I might leave disappointed, I did end up watching it.

Spoilers

I think it is far from being a great movie, but is it terrible? No. There is a bit too much destruction, and if you're a Superman fan, you might leave disappointed after seeing this invincible hero not even considering saving anyone while millions of people are dying (or at least it seems), but I think it's worthy of a viewing.
There were plenty of things I could get irritated about... and maybe I did. I did find myself face palming mentally when thinking about the fact that it was ultra corny how as soon as Clark Kent seems to find out who he really is, General Zod shows up. I found it corny how Superman went around the world to fight off the machines General Zod placed on earth, and during the fight with Zod, it seemed like they were flying around everywhere, but in the end, Lois Lane still finds Superman easily. It's like, 'How the f*ck did this bitch just walk into this building from wherever she was earlier just as Superman kills Zod?'
There was too much destruction. Non-stop really. Shit was blowing up everywhere. Everywhere. It got tiring after the first few crumbling buildings. It became overkill during the Zod fight.

The whole movie is an allusion to Jesus Christ. Superman is a reference to Jesus. 33 yrs old when all the major events in his life occur, people sacrificing (crucifying in a way) him to save themselves, a Godly being among humans, raised by humans who did not naturally birth him. If you've ever taken an advanced English course, you'll know most works of writing allude to previous works. If a son kills his father, it's Hamlet. If a brother kills his brother, it's Cain and Abel. If two lovers' respective families try to keep then apart, it's Romeo and Juliet. So Superman was somewhat cleverly written in the sense that if you thought about it, it was a modern retelling of Jesus Christ's life.
If you're into discovering references yourself, watch it. If you can't handle cornball shit happening in a superhero movie, avoid it.

-p.tiddy-
06-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Watched it, didn't think it was too bad. Lowered expectations helped I guess. I really enjoyed the fight scenes. Finally supesy gets justice done in the action arena. Story was meh as expected. The best parts were the flashbacks to his childhood and I wish there were more of them. His parents were awesome characters and they could've used more screen time.
yep

this happened to me with X3 I think...everyone came out talking about how awful it was so when I finally saw it I was pleasantly surprised

this thread is very mixed...sounds to me like a great action flick with no story, which probably should be what we all expect from a Superman movie

niko
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
yep

this happened to me with X3 I think...everyone came out talking about how awful it was so when I finally saw it I was pleasantly surprised

this thread is very mixed...sounds to me like a great action flick with no story, which probably should be what we all expect from a Superman movie
No, it has a story albeit it's not a Dark Night deep movie but it's not just summer fluff. The problem is some of the choices they take with Superman don't work well nor are they choices most people would probably want.

It's not bad. 7/10 is fair to me.

raiderfan19
06-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I think people who are comparing it to tdk need to remember Nolan's batman trilogy was only great in the 2nd movie. This was better than begins and there will be a sequel.(it was also better than tdk rises but that movie is so ridiculously overrated that no one will admit it)

embersyc
06-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I think people who are comparing it to tdk need to remember Nolan's batman trilogy was only great in the 2nd movie. This was better than begins and there will be a sequel.(it was also better than tdk rises but that movie is so ridiculously overrated that no one will admit it)

Come off it, MOS was nowhere near the movie Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises are.

It's more on the Iron Man 3 level.

bladefd
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
The whole movie is an allusion to Jesus Christ. Superman is a reference to Jesus. 33 yrs old when all the major events in his life occur, people sacrificing (crucifying in a way) him to save themselves, a Godly being among humans, raised by humans who did not naturally birth him. If you've ever taken an advanced English course, you'll know most works of writing allude to previous works. If a son kills his father, it's Hamlet. If a brother kills his brother, it's Cain and Abel. If two lovers' respective families try to keep then apart, it's Romeo and Juliet. So Superman was somewhat cleverly written in the sense that if you thought about it, it was a modern retelling of Jesus Christ's life.
If you're into discovering references yourself, watch it. If you can't handle cornball shit happening in a superhero movie, avoid it.

I never thought of Superman that way. Pretty interesting view, and I think I can definitely see that without a doubt. If you really think about it, almost all stories and dreams we have in life are simply a retelling of another story with minor changes in details.

The story of Christ may be based on another story of another person in time before Christ - remember, the story of Gautama Buddha and his life very much parallel that of Christ about 5 centuries before Christ was born. Krishna from Hinduism too. The story of Gautama and Krishna are probably based on other oral stories from times before we had written languages.

For every story that we look at, tell, write, etc, there is another story that it is based on or takes details from to make your story look more important or simply to embellish the details within. I know that religious people from the beliefs of Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists and ALL others do not like to hear this because they feel threatened and feel it somewhat minimizes their own beliefs with the point that their story is not original but simply a retelling of another.

It's something that I have discussed with people in past, and they have said to keep it to myself or it will enrage people. I do not post this stuff on facebook anymore - I have had people remove me from their facebooks over such comments. It disappoints me greatly that people do not like to be honest with themselves.

Electric Slide
06-18-2013, 12:53 AM
superman is the hardest super hero to make a movie out of imo.

he is the most bogus superhero too.

The-Legend-24
06-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Come off it, MOS was nowhere near the movie Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises are.

It's more on the Iron Man 3 level.
lol.

SpecialQue
06-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Anyone else think that the ending...how Superman took care of Zod, was WAY the fvck out of character for him?

Also, considering that an entire city was destroyed and thousands if not a million people died, doesn't this film kind of suggest that Earth would have been better off had Superman never been born, which is the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be?

Electric Slide
06-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Anyone else think that the ending...how Superman took care of Zod, was WAY the fvck out of character for him?

Also, considering that an entire city was destroyed and thousands if not a million people died, doesn't this film kind of suggest that Earth would have been better off had Superman never been born, which is the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be?
Writers view on god.

Fawker
06-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Unless there is continuity, DC will suck. These directors are not working with each other. Impossible for a Justice League script. Marvel shitted on DC Christopher Reeve Superman movies are the end all be all of Superman movies.

shadow
06-18-2013, 02:07 AM
yep

Yeah man the more I think about it I can't get over how amazing those action scenes were, despite the climax. I'm really glad I read wade's blog review because I would've been super pissed about supes not caring about other people in the final act had I not been prepared for it.

Meticode
06-18-2013, 02:21 AM
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

Strong 7/10 for me. Saw it today.

Kevin Costner was under-utilized. The best acted parts of movie is when he speaks with Clark in the flash backs on becoming a man.

I almost cried when he died in the tornado because it reminded me of Oklahoma this year.

As mention the first half of the movie is probably a strong 8/10 and the second half is a weak 6/10.

The action sequences were really good, but over-used a lot. The fight with the metal tentacles made no sense.

Meticode
06-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Unless there is continuity, DC will suck. These directors are not working with each other. Impossible for a Justice League script. Marvel shitted on DC Christopher Reeve Superman movies are the end all be all of Superman movies.
DC just pulled off one of the greatest trilogies of all time. Not sure how they suck. Of course Marvel will gain the audience. You throw some AC/DC into a Iron Man soundtrack, and the rate they're pumping out Marvel movies it's going to appeal to wider audiences.

Lakers Legend#32
06-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Outside of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, Warner Brothers does not have a clue how to make comic book adaptaion movies.

RoseCity07
06-18-2013, 04:15 AM
It was on okay film. Better than the last Superman. They didn't make fun of the fact that Superman is really overpowered. Sometimes the director will make fun of the character to get a cheap laugh. I don't really want to see this film again. It's no classic. I give it a 6/10.

Scholar
06-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Yes. Very.

When Superman did what he did to General Zod, my girl, who isn't much of a superhero fan, leaned over to me and asked, "Why the hell did it take him so long to do that?"
I said, "Superman doesn't kill people." (text in white due to being a spoiler)

I was extremely disappointed in Superman's actions. I know he was put in a position where he had no choice, but there is always another way. The writers could've done something different. Superman was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of character there.

Dragonyeuw
06-18-2013, 10:49 AM

SPOILERS!!!!!

Was it a SUPERMAN action, how we have always known him to be? Nope....and I really think it speaks to shoddy writing. That scene was written for Superman to have little choice but to break his neck. And yet what exactly was stopping him from, as he had Zod neutralized in a headlock, covering his eyes or flying upwards with Zod in tow? It was a copout, done for shock appeal and to let us know that damn, this ain't your dad's Superman who flies around the world reversing time and gives Lois amnesia through kissing.

And let me be clear, Superman has killed before in the movies. You can say he 'killed' Zod in Superman II in the fortress of solitude once Zod lost his powers at the end( smashed his hand, picked him up like a ragdoll, threw him into the icewall and presumably to his death into the abyss below). But it was handled with a greater degree of ambiguity,then having Superman consciously decide to snap a man's neck. And hey, in this film maybe in Supe's mind he made a choice that ending his life was the only way to prevent the death of others. The way he was characterized in Man of Steel, while such a mentality and action isn't consistent with the Superman we've always known, there's nothing to suggest that this interpretation of the character is beyond killing someone if he can justify it in some manner. Heck, Jonathan Kent's mentality was it's better to let someone die than to reveal himself to the world by showcasing his powers. This version of Superman may have a slightly altered moral compass on the ideas of life and death.

I think the question is, assuming there's a followup and I'd imagine that's a foregone conclusion, is this a Superman we're prepared to accept? The greatest power of Superman isn't in what he's physically capable of doing, but that his moral code prevents him from using his powers in a manner where he bends free will, or where he decides who lives and who dies. Both are obviously within his capability, but its choosing to use his powers to always 'do the right thing' that is his greatest strength. Of course 'the right thing' isn't necessarily cast in stone and can be left to interpretation.

Perhaps this version is being set up to learn from the choices he makes ( blatantly deciding to kill Zod) and that the Superman we're more familiar with will emerge in later sequels. It could be an attempt to humanize the character, seeing as one of the biggest complaints I hear regarding Superman is that it's hard to emphasize with a God-like being. Making Superman 'fallible' in some way, prone to errors in judgment, is perhaps a way to make him relate to modern audiences who have become used to 'imperfect' heroes with character defects( we love Iron-man, but isn't Tony Stark really an obnoxious, self-important jackass?)

And your final point is spot on too. This is a man whose presence on earth prompted his fellow Kryptonians to raid the planet. Are we really better off with him here? How many people were killed/injured during the climatic battle with all the buildings being destroyed and Superman throwing and being thrown about the city? I imagine that in Superman II, his decision to leave the fight scene in Metropolis and head to his Fortress served two purposes; he somehow gained extra powers in there which evened the odds a bit( cloning himself multiple times over, the 'S' that came out of his chest, etc) but it also meant luring the 3 villians away from the city where they couldn't cause any more damage. Supes in Man of Steel didn't appear to give two shits about the collateral damage he was partly responsible for fighting Zod and his minions.

Lebron23
06-19-2013, 01:32 AM
I love Faora. She's a bad @$$ Villain.

Lebron23
06-19-2013, 01:35 AM
Who's going to play Batman in the Justice League (2015) movie???

bagelred
06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Who's going to play Batman in the Justice League (2015) movie???

Jay Baruchel

magic chiongson
06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Jay Baruchel

michael cera

ErhnamDjinn
06-19-2013, 11:08 AM
michael cera
fVck even if he played Robin I would probably not watch that, he could probably play one of the wonder twins hehehe

Q.E.C
06-21-2013, 05:21 PM
I think the action was fine. There wasn't too much. Plus it was his first time saving the world. Some people are acting like he already had that experience in this movie, and that just a little bit of destruction was gonna happen. Like I said it was his first time saving the world, and it was the first time he probably felt threatened, so he snapped his neck out of fear. Great movie.

brantonli
06-21-2013, 06:15 PM
I kind of liked the video game-aspect of the fight scenes. This is superman for heavens sake, Batman you can definitely do gritty and realistic, but for Superman you have to go all out. But I swear there was even more destruction of buildings and stuff than even the Avengers, which was pretty insane. I think they were trying to do a more serious, focused Superman film (especially when Superman kills Zod), with the flashback scenes and ultra serious nation of the film, but because of the action scenes, I couldn't really take the messages seriously.

Graviton
06-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Now I see what all the critics were talking about, this movie had no soul or substance. Wasn't even as good as Watchmen, or Avengers/Iron Man/Thor/Spider Man, maybe above Captain America, Hulk and later Iron Mans though.

It felt like a collection of episodes from a tv show glued together, all sped up, not really well designed movie with actual thought put into it. Everything moved way too fast without much explanation, just a cliche 2 minute scene to make you "feel" for Superman. :oldlol: And every time we got generic one liners and flash forwarded or flashbacked to the next scene right after. No character was fleshed out, no one got more than 2 lines of dialogue each scene. Seriously it was like a movie with robot actors, the script was terrible.

And the action sequences, wow was I watching a video game cut scene? You gotta mix in some real life set pieces with your CGI to make it more organic and keep the audience engaged, like in Avengers. Not completely alienate the human population while the Super people are fighting in what seemed to be an empty Matrix with everything exploding and crumbling for extra tension, while we never quite experienced the horror and shock of the people getting crushed like ants.

Did no one else notice? Clark hears about people assembling in the north in some shithole bar, next scene he is working with the crew there and enters the ice. How the **** did he get to work in what was supposed to be high security base. :roll:

Next he meets his dad, "I have so many questions", he gets the cliff notes, dad shows him his awesome new tights, he wears them instantly as if in those 2 minutes he got all his answers, found his calling and filled the hole in his heart. :applause:

Next hour we just get more characters with one liners, all of whom somehow instantly understand the complex issues at hand and move towards their goals while Superman goes into video game mode. The movie didn't know if it wanted to be full on realistic or full video game, ended up in limbo of emptiness.

Seriously, this is why actual acting, dialogue and some tension breaking scenes>90% mindless destruction with one liners. This was really like Transformers compared to Avengers. Can't believe someone would read that script and say "Yea this is genius, definitely doesn't need any changes". :oldlol:

AND FAORA NEEDED MORE SCREEN TIME! :(

bagelred
06-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Seriously, this is why actual acting, dialogue and some tension breaking scenes>90% mindless destruction with one liners.

I actually haven't seen the movie yet, and not even sure if I want to anymore. :lol But let's remember, what you asking for....most people don't give a shit about those things. Maybe you or I do, and alot of people on here, but the average movie goer could care less about character development and depth. The movies make a ton of money as is.....

It's time to accept that quality of movies is not directly proportional as to how much money they make. The average American will see any big budget spectacle that studios throw on the screen....regardless of its quality.

Just an example:

http://i41.tinypic.com/mcuqf7.png

Audiences are stupid. They don't care. That movie made $830 million. So movie executives don't care either.

Graviton
06-22-2013, 12:46 PM
I actually haven't seen the movie yet, and not even sure if I want to anymore. :lol But let's remember, what you asking for....most people don't give a shit about those things. Maybe you or I do, and alot of people on here, but the average movie goer could care less about character development and depth. The movies make a ton of money as is.....

It's time to accept that quality of movies is not directly proportional as to how much money they make. The average American will see any big budget spectacle that studios throw on the screen....regardless of its quality.

Just an example:

Audiences are stupid. They don't care. That movie made $830 million. So movie executives don't care either.

But you see when you mix both action and actual acting, quality script and characters you get even MORE money. Like Avengers, LOTR and Iron Man, you get both the average audience and hardcore people. Word of mouth also boosts your future performance past opening week or 2.

I am sure both Marvel and DC care about quality. They hired Nolan and Whedon for a reason. But this time trusting Goyer and Snyder was retarded.

FKAri
06-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Seems like DC can't get anything right(aside from Nolan's Batman), they are trying so hard to copy Marvel and get some of that that Avengers/Iron Man profit they are ignoring what made those 2 so successful. It wasn't just action and special effects, what made those great were the compelling, funny characters, good script and at least an ok story and narrative.

DC is just skipping through the important parts and jumping into the visual set pieces to try and wow people. They shoulda learned their lesson with Green Lantern. :facepalm

Hope Marvel continues to crush them so they finally learn, lets see how Guardians of Galaxy turns out.

The advantage of Avengers was that the audience had a familiarity with most of the characters so it added an extra layer of attachment and personality to em that otherwise wouldn't have been there. You take that away from the Avengers and It's a fairly bad film that's even worse than Man of Steel.

9erempiree
06-25-2013, 01:59 AM
I just watched it. It's not bad but it's not good either. It was entertaining but it didn't feel like a Superman movie at all.

The best parts of the movie are the flashbacks.

The flashbacks and the actual movie seemed like two different movies. The flashback actually had better acting than the actual movie. The story is much more compelling of young Clark than Kal/Superman.

D-Wade316
06-25-2013, 07:29 AM
The advantage of Avengers was that the audience had a familiarity with most of the characters so it added an extra layer of attachment and personality to em that otherwise wouldn't have been there. You take that away from the Avengers and It's a fairly bad film that's even worse than Man of Steel.
False. The Avengers' character arc shits on Man of Steel. Look up to Graviton's review. MOS was rushed. Basically what it did was have 2 minutes of exposition and have the rest of the way not explore the theme/s just presented.

Meanwhile, the drama in the Avengers played out effortless. First, a threat comes that would form the group together. Second, they don't trust each other so the group falls apart. Third, the threat succeeds in breaking up the group. Then the group sets aside their differences to eliminate the threat. Lastly, the group succeeds and goes on their separate ways.

9erempiree
06-25-2013, 07:57 AM
MOS could have definitely been better. They could have cut out some of the scenes in that movie and told the story from beginning to end and no flashbacks. Just tell it chronologically. No need for the flashbacks.

Young Clark is more interesting than what they put out. For a long ass movie they rushed a lot of things. You know it's bad when you get that feeling from a long movie.

A lot of stuff didn't make sense either. Lois Lane didn't feel like Lois Lane and she killed the movie with the Superman crush. She felt like a clingy girlfriend. She was everywhere.

9erempiree
06-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Now I see what all the critics were talking about, this movie had no soul or substance. Wasn't even as good as Watchmen, or Avengers/Iron Man/Thor/Spider Man, maybe above Captain America, Hulk and later Iron Mans though.

It felt like a collection of episodes from a tv show glued together, all sped up, not really well designed movie with actual thought put into it. Everything moved way too fast without much explanation, just a cliche 2 minute scene to make you "feel" for Superman. :oldlol: And every time we got generic one liners and flash forwarded or flashbacked to the next scene right after. No character was fleshed out, no one got more than 2 lines of dialogue each scene. Seriously it was like a movie with robot actors, the script was terrible.

And the action sequences, wow was I watching a video game cut scene? You gotta mix in some real life set pieces with your CGI to make it more organic and keep the audience engaged, like in Avengers. Not completely alienate the human population while the Super people are fighting in what seemed to be an empty Matrix with everything exploding and crumbling for extra tension, while we never quite experienced the horror and shock of the people getting crushed like ants.

Did no one else notice? Clark hears about people assembling in the north in some shithole bar, next scene he is working with the crew there and enters the ice. How the **** did he get to work in what was supposed to be high security base. :roll:

Next he meets his dad, "I have so many questions", he gets the cliff notes, dad shows him his awesome new tights, he wears them instantly as if in those 2 minutes he got all his answers, found his calling and filled the hole in his heart. :applause:

Next hour we just get more characters with one liners, all of whom somehow instantly understand the complex issues at hand and move towards their goals while Superman goes into video game mode. The movie didn't know if it wanted to be full on realistic or full video game, ended up in limbo of emptiness.

Seriously, this is why actual acting, dialogue and some tension breaking scenes>90% mindless destruction with one liners. This was really like Transformers compared to Avengers. Can't believe someone would read that script and say "Yea this is genius, definitely doesn't need any changes". :oldlol:

AND FAORA NEEDED MORE SCREEN TIME! :(

Pretty much spot on.

What is up, after Kal stops one of the World Machines, while the plane is being flown into the other one and all of a sudden he's under a pile of rubble.

Shouldn't he have helped? All of a sudden he appears underneath rubble and saves Lois.

I think Lois should not have gotten all that screen time and she was not a believable reporter. She just felt like any other heroine and not a main character.

niko
06-25-2013, 08:03 AM

Just an example:

These movies actually make their money back overseas, sometimes they bomb here, they almost never bomb abroad. Things like Green LanterN (and Superman was much better than that turd) easily made it's money back. And that movie was god awful. So it's not "stupid americans", it's "stupid everyone".

BTW, What's wrong though with watching a movie with good effects for 2 hours? Some people go to the movies for that kind of escapism. They don't want two deep thoughful hours. We're older, me and you. 15 year olds don't want 2 hours of deep characterization, they want to giggle over superman on their date.

I think sometimes people assume they are the only audience. I don't like Justin Bieber music but i understand who does.

D-Wade316
06-25-2013, 08:07 AM
MOS could have definitely been better. They could have cut out some of the scenes in that movie and told the story from beginning to end and no flashbacks. Just tell it chronologically. No need for the flashbacks.

Young Clark is more interesting than what they put out. For a long ass movie they rushed a lot of things. You know it's bad when you get that feeling from a long movie.

A lot of stuff didn't make sense either. Lois Lane didn't feel like Lois Lane and she killed the movie with the Superman crush. She felt like a clingy girlfriend. She was everywhere.
Hell yes, especially the bolded. 1 hour could be spent on smallville but I'd still feel they can milk more out of it. I wished MOS and Superman(1978) was at least 3 hours long.

Bandito
06-26-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't see what's the hype about this movie. THis is pretty much a CGI fan fest.

Meticode
06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't see what's the hype about this movie. THis is pretty much a CGI fan fest.
Did you watch it?

Bandito
06-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Did you watch it?
Yes, I did tonight. And I was not impressed. As a origins movie is not a bad movie but as a standalone movie is just ok. Good Superhero movie nevertheless but I just think TDK is better.

raiderfan19
06-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Yes, I did tonight. And I was not impressed. As a origins movie is not a bad movie but as a standalone movie is just ok. Good Superhero movie nevertheless but I just think TDK is better.
I say again why does everyone compare it to tdk? Tdk wasn't the first in its trilogy and I guarantee man of steel gets a sequel

MeLO MvP 15
06-27-2013, 03:09 AM
I say again why does everyone compare it to tdk? Tdk wasn't the first in its trilogy and I guarantee man of steel gets a sequel
Yeah not to mention he's comparing it to the arguably the greatest superhero movie ever.

Batman Begins was also an excellent origin, but I think I could put MOS over it.... which says a lot, because I love BB.

magic chiongson
06-27-2013, 03:31 AM
i liked MOS but TDK & BB > MOS.

raiderfan19
06-27-2013, 06:16 AM
I disagree about begins. Tdk was definitely better but not bb

LJJ
06-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Just an example:

GOD DAYUM, you need to work on your circle skills.

CelticBaller
06-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Batman begins was boring as fvck,good movie but juts too much dialogue for a superhero move. TBH I didn't know anyone who took the Nolan batman seriously until TDK

bootsy
06-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Batman begins was boring as fvck,good movie but juts too much dialogue for a superhero move. TBH I didn't know anyone who took the Nolan batman seriously until TDK
Every movie in the Nolan Batman trilogy had dialogue and lots of it and for good reason because it's building a story and it did it pretty damn well. Begins is the best in the trilogy IMO because it's the one with true Batman story out of any of the 3. If you don't want too much dialogue you probably should stick to Marvel movies and Transformers movies.

CelticBaller
06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Every movie in the Nolan Batman trilogy had dialogue and lots of it and for good reason because it's building a story and it did it pretty damn well. Begins is the best in the trilogy IMO because it's the one with true Batman story out of any of the 3. If you don't want too much dialogue you probably should stick to Marvel movies and Transformers movies.
Except in the TDK shit actually escalated, there was a huge sense of danger while in Batman begins what Rah Al Ghul did was pretty small :coleman:

CAstill
06-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Finally watched it. Started to get nervous after I saw so many negative reviews but it was pretty good. Not better than TDK but better than BB. I agree with the sentiment that it's setting up for a major sequel and possible trilogy. Also didn't have a problem with the end of the Zod fight. First thing I thought when I saw it was YES! He can pick up Thor's hammer lol. He should be worthy now. I think last time he was only able to do it because of a Thor request to the Gods to allow him. Anyways solid movie and I look forward to more.

PleezeBelieve
06-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Oh sh!t, you nerds are at it again. Attacking another comic book movie because it didn't hold your hand through the movie.

Grow up.

Movie was good and I'm sure that will be the prevailing sentiment years down the road. It was a mix of plot building and action, all the while applying adding it's own spin to the theme of the movie given it was staged in modern day times.

Bandito
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Ok, I will not compare it but I found the 1st hour to be quite boring to say the least. Maybe if they didn't go back and forth between the past and the future I would like it more but I don't think it worked. It did pick up in the second hour of the movie though but not enough to make me go woah! It does has the potential to be great in the sequel though, just hope it doesn't go Aliens conquer Earth type of plot again.

Bandito
06-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah not to mention he's comparing it to the arguably the greatest superhero movie ever.

Batman Begins was also an excellent origin, but I think I could put MOS over it.... which says a lot, because I love BB.
See I wouldn't put it higher than BB. Then again it is my opinion.

Bandito
06-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I like both, TDK and BB because I think both were great movies. I thought BB was the best of the trilogy too because it had the most potential until TDK Rises killed the franchise:(

AintNoSunshine
07-01-2013, 02:09 AM
I thought it was really bad, a C grade at best. Great special effect but that's where it ends, the story sucks big time.

Lakers Legend#32
07-01-2013, 02:22 AM
Hasn't everyone already forgotten about this?