Levity
06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/roster.html

PGs: Irving, Lillard, Walker, Wall, Conley, Holiday, Lawson

SGs:K. Leonard, K Thompson, Beal, DeRozan, Waiters

SFs: P George, Parsons, Barnes, Hayward

PFs:Faried, Davis, Gibson, Monroe, Anderson

Cs: Cousins, Drummond, Favors, Jordan, Sanders, Zeller

Which of these players doesnt make the cut?

Is the gold theirs for the taking? Do you think theyre better than the last world cup team led by Durant in 2010

Sakkreth
06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Only PG looks solid and mostly only cause of Irving.

Spaulding
06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I can see Cousins not going based purley on his attitude.

SpurrDurr
06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Zeller. Not even Greece would use a soft skinny guy like him.

KG215
06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Don't think there's a player on that team as good as Durant was in 2010. Not that Durant was as good then, as he is now or anything, but Durant's game has always been tailor made to be a killer international player; and he showcased that in 2010 in dominating fashion.

Regardless of what the final roster is, though, this team will be more well-rounded/balanced, because the 2010 team was playing Odom at C and Durant at PF quite a bit. But 2014 will have good shooters, good ball-handlers, really good defenders, and interior scoring. And they do have Kyrie who would have the potential to take over close games down the stretch the way Durant did in 2010.

Also have to keep in mind this is still a year away, so there's a pretty good chance almost every player on the current roster will be improved by summer.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Looks like we are back to 2004. They're just asking to lose with that.

KG215
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
And did the new age-limit rule pass? Did I miss that?

WeGetRing2012
06-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Is the gold theirs for the taking? Do you think theyre better than the last world cup team led by Durant in 2010

How many do they get?

Bold can be cut

jzek
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Beal is in there but no Danny Green? They are co-FMVPs!

Burgz V2
06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
no Curry?

G-train
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
That team won't win gold if some of the other nations field full strength teams.

D-Rose
06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
And did the new age-limit rule pass? Did I miss that?
Think Team USA is going with a youth initiative for the FIBA tournaments.

KG215
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Think Team USA is going with a youth initiative for the FIBA tournaments.
That makes sense given how young everyone is on the roster. Like in 2010, this would be akin to sending our B or C team to the World Championships; but I enjoyed the hell out of 2010 because expectations were lowered a little.

Haymaker
06-12-2013, 05:22 PM
They could definitely improve that roster. I like that they have Monroe in there. But I don't like Faried and Lawson. Both too short for their positions. They need players with solid fundamentals, good FT% and good defense.

R.I.P.
06-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Looks like we are back to 2004. They're just asking to lose with that.

Durant basically won the 2010 World Championships by himself. This team would certainly not be an overwhelming favourite, but the international competition is also getting worse.

Nick Young
06-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Worst team USA ever and we will still win EASILY

bluechox2
06-12-2013, 06:10 PM
this is the roster where the big bucks take it easy and let the fill ins get them to the olympics

Nick Young
06-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Need some vets in there, dont know who will be the leader. Maybe Kyrie?

veilside23
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
team canada for the win :D

but seriously

notable players there
kyrie lillard
beal george
hayward parsons
monroe davis
cousins favors

dbugz
06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Thompson is perfect :pimp:

Though they should put Curry and Green. You have these two and you'll definitely be having at least 15 3 pointers a game.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Worst team USA ever and we will still win EASILY

Unless some guys take their game to another level in the next year they look to be in trouble with that mess!

KG215
06-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Need some vets in there, dont know who will be the leader. Maybe Kyrie?
Yeah, that's my biggest worry, too. At least the 2010 team had championship vets like Billups and Odom.

bluechox2
06-12-2013, 06:34 PM
if this is the team they take, i want the same team going to the olympics, atleast they earned it, hate seeing them tell these guys, alright thanks for getting us this far, let me call in the big guns

Jameerthefear
06-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Rhino is going to FEAST against these Euro scrubs

alenleomessi
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
i would pay money to watch drummond and deandre on the same team
there will be all kinds of crazy shit going on offensively and not to mention the euros will be scared shitless to go for a layup so will probably shoot like 40 threes a game

Myth
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Beal is in there but no Danny Green? They are co-FMVPs!

:facepalm

Beal does not equal Neal.

PleezeBelieve
06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Irving and Waiters will be the two best players there.

chips93
06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
im assuming a 15 man roster

kyrie / lillard
thompson / beal
george / kawhi / parsons
davis / farried / anderson
cousins / favors / drummond

i think drummond, davis, favors, and beal should all get significantly better next year.

fsvr54
06-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't know what people are talking about.

These are the best young players in the league. They have more than enough talent.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 07:26 PM

These are the best young players in the league. They have more than enough talent.

There's talent. Not enough experience. They're in trouble.

steve
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
It really needs to be pointed out that these aren't the only players they would be considering for the World Championships next summer. In fact, it's possible (however highly unlikely) that none of these players make the roster for the World Championships. All this is is a group of player selected to take part in a Team USA training camp over the summer so that Coach K and the rest can widen their pool of players they would possible select for the National Team roster. It's likely that (if healthy), players like Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Love and others might get an invitation for 2014. But they aren't at this camp because they've already been through the system in one form or another already.

By the way, is anyone concerned with the coaching staff here? I mean, they have a nice collection of defensive minded coaches, especially with the addition of Thibs (and Williams too, I suppose). But who is running the offense? Is their scheme only going to be drive and kick?

KG215
06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
im assuming a 15 man roster

kyrie / lillard
thompson / beal
george / kawhi / parsons
davis / farried / anderson
cousins / favors / drummond

i think drummond, davis, favors, and beal should all get significantly better next year.
Pretty sure the final roster is 12 man. And your depth chart consists of 13 players.

alenleomessi
06-12-2013, 07:41 PM
kyrie irving vs bo mccalebb, bring it on :pimp:

Grinder
06-12-2013, 07:48 PM
It really needs to be pointed out that these aren't the only players they would be considering for the World Championships next summer. In fact, it's possible (however highly unlikely) that none of these players make the roster for the World Championships. All this is is a group of player selected to take part in a Team USA training camp over the summer so that Coach K and the rest can widen their pool of players they would possible select for the National Team roster. It's likely that (if healthy), players like Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Love and others might get an invitation for 2014. But they aren't at this camp because they've already been through the system in one form or another already.

Yep. This is just a list of players being added to the pool for training camp. A lot of better players who want to play will be on the final roster.

Pretty sure the final roster is 12 man. And your depth chart consists of 13 players.

Correct.

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 07:56 PM

By the way, is anyone concerned with the coaching staff here? I mean, they have a nice collection of defensive minded coaches, especially with the addition of Thibs (and Williams too, I suppose). But who is running the offense? Is their scheme only going to be drive and kick?

A big reason they lost in 2006. They had no offensive sets. Coach K said there wasn't enough time. They just ran and tried to score off their defensive pressure.

alternate?

UConnCeltics
06-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I think they bring 12 right? Should bring:

Irving/Wall/Walker
Beal/Thompson
George/Leonard/Barnes
Davis/Monroe
Cousins/Drummond

I think those players are the best prospects for the 2016 Olympics. Lillard vs Walker was tough, but ever team needs a little-man tryhard to will a team to victory.

ballup
06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Why are people snubbing Lawson?

frmsea2okc
06-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Team size 15? 12 guys?

PG Irving/Wall/Holiday
SG Thompson/Beal/Waiters
SF George/Barnes/Parsons
PF Faried/Davis/Leonard
C Cousins/Favors/Monroe (cant have Sander & Cousins too crazy:banghead: )

The stars are Irving and George surrounded by shooters Thompson, Barnes Parsons. Rebound defensive guys Faried/Davis/Leonard. Athletic fast break slicers Beal, Waiters.

Not much post scoring but you could just give George and Irving the keys and let em go. They run and shoot teams to death and IF the coaches can get guys to play a role and not treat it like an AAU tourney then they'll win it all. Problem is will the bigs, especially Cousins be willing to play a role and be unselfish?

alexd
06-12-2013, 09:07 PM

irving/lillard
leonard/thomson/beal
george/parsons
faried/davis/anderson
drummond/favors

Le Shaqtus
06-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Chandler Parsons :rockon: :banana:

tgan3
06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
This team wins bronze at best :lol

andremiller07
06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
If DJ makes it, they should just cancel the whole tournament, the standerd would go down so hard it would not even be worth watching. I have no idea what Faried is doign there as well....

USABall
06-12-2013, 09:48 PM
One reason the USA team fared well besides Durant in 2010 was that many major teams were missing their best player(s). Wonder if that will be the case next year.

gabepizza
06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
One reason the USA team fared well besides Durant in 2010 was that many major teams were missing their best player(s). Wonder if that will be the case next year.

Well the next best team in the world, Spain, is going to come with everyone because the tournament is in Spain.

Chachi-in-Charge
06-12-2013, 10:48 PM
PGs: Irving, Lillard, Wall, Conley

SGs:K. Leonard, K Thompson

SFs: P George

PFs:Faried, Monroe,

Cs: Cousins, Jordan, Sanders

I'd go with the above, playing Lillard at 2 and Leonard at 3 from time to time.

this team once again serious lacks shooting and skilled bigs.

Levity
06-12-2013, 11:22 PM

because of his great jump shot, I think lillard will see a lot of time at the 2.

but i have to disagree with your last two points. This team has some really skilled big men( cousins and monroe have both proved to be extremely skilled and then you have sanders and davis who have both greatly improved from the start of this season)

this team is also packed with shooters. what they are lacking, however, is a go to scorer. Most likely it will be Kyrie or George.

andremiller07
06-12-2013, 11:25 PM

Your saying the team lack's skilled bigs and you put in DJ, Faried and Sanders in the team over Anderson/Monroe/Davis.........seriously?

Xiao Yao You
06-12-2013, 11:34 PM
because of his great jump shot, I think lillard will see a lot of time at the 2.

but i have to disagree with your last two points. This team has some really skilled big men( cousins and monroe have both proved to be extremely skilled and then you have sanders and davis who have both greatly improved from the start of this season)

this team is also packed with shooters. what they are lacking, however, is a go to scorer. Most likely it will be Kyrie or George.

Cousins won't represent the USA unless he grows up which I wouldn't count on. Kings might put up with it but Team USA won't.

Chachi-in-Charge
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Your saying the team lack's skilled bigs and you put in DJ, Faried and Sanders in the team over Anderson/Monroe/Davis.........seriously?

Monroe should be in there

deja vu
06-12-2013, 11:50 PM
That team gets beat by Spain by 20+. :facepalm

Only the big guns will suffice now that the rest of the world is catching up.

jamal99
06-13-2013, 12:00 AM

Bolded make the team.

As for the questions - 2010 team was better so I don't think these guys will be clear cut favorites...

FKAri
06-13-2013, 02:37 AM

We in a league of scrubs then.

gabepizza
06-13-2013, 07:36 AM
No Steph Curry??!

steve
06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
No Steph Curry??!

He's already been in the system and was on the 2010 World Championship roster. This is just the group of players USA Basketball is inviting to a mini camp this summer so they can get them used to the process and expand the field of players they will select from. It is nothing more than that.