View Full Version : Dwyane Wade is the 3rd GOAT SG

atljonesbro
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. Wade
4. West
5. Drexler

You can't make an argument for those guys above Wade anymore.

DMAVS41
06-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I think you can always make arguments for West over Kobe and Wade...but I just don't think Wade's play in the playoffs was impressive enough to warrant him going above West for sure.

atljonesbro
06-21-2013, 06:07 PM
I think you can always make arguments for West over Kobe and Wade...but I just don't think Wade's play in the playoffs was impressive enough to warrant him going above West for sure.
No, you can't. West only has ONE CHAMPIONSHIP. If the ONE CHAMPIONSHIP player was Wade or Bryant and the 3 or 5 championship player was West people would milk that HEAVILY saying West is ranked above them just because he is an old school player. But since the old school player has significantly less rings they'll find something else. You can't be hypocritical lie that. I mean you can't even look at stats he played in the steroid era where you have guys averaging 50/26.

9erempiree
06-21-2013, 06:07 PM
No.

It's not just rings that count. It's also career stats and Jerry West crushes Wade in that department. Rings are important plus career stats. That's why I don't think Lebron is close to Kobe yet. His stats aren't good enough yet.

Jerry West 25k points
Wade 16k points

West 6k assist
Wade 4k assist

West 5k rebounds
Wade (don't know he's not even in top 200)

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I think given his play for much of the playoffs, besides a few of these old school Wade games in the Finals where he looked vintage, I don't know if I can rank him over the Logo yet.

1) MJ
2) Kobe
3) West
4) Wade
5) Drexler

DMAVS41
No, you can't. West only has ONE CHAMPIONSHIP. If the ONE CHAMPIONSHIP player was Wade or Bryant and the 3 or 5 championship player was West people would milk that HEAVILY saying West is ranked above them just because he is an old school player. But since the old school player has significantly less rings they'll find something else. You can't be hypocritical lie that. I mean you can't even look at stats he played in the steroid era where you have guys averaging 50/26.

I didn't get to see West play...and I'm assuming you didn't as well. So I don't like to talk a lot about players I didn't see.

But I don't think you can just say that...

MaxFly

Perhaps Wade, but not Bryant. People still believe that Jerry West in the second best 2 guard of all time in 2013...?

Incidentally, have people forgotten about D. Wade's play in these playoffs? 15.9/4.6/4.8 I trust people aren't putting him over West because of his play this postseason...

inclinerator
06-21-2013, 06:13 PM
wade
allen
mj
kobe

NumberSix
06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
What's the argument for Kobe being Bove Wade?

Solefade
06-21-2013, 07:43 PM
No.

It's not just rings that count. It's also career stats and Jerry West crushes Wade in that department. Rings are important plus career stats. That's why I don't think Lebron is close to Kobe yet. His stats aren't good enough yet.

Jerry West 25k points
Wade 16k points

West 6k assist
Wade 4k assist

West 5k rebounds
Wade (don't know he's not even in top 200)

LOL @ this. A Kobe stan saying "it's not just about rings". :bowdown: :bowdown:

Psileas
06-21-2013, 07:53 PM

No, people who know about West would claim what they claim already, that West was a historically great playoff performer, an even greater Finals performer, the All-time Finals scoring leader and one of the most complete guards to ever play the game. People correctly claim that rings aren't everything. Apart from probably 2006 alone, there isn't a single championship run by Wade that I'd take over West's losing effort in 1969. Especially comparing their Finals series performances, it's a joke, it's not even close.

sportjames23
06-21-2013, 07:58 PM
wade
allen
mj
kobe

Fail

Bandito
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
West is as good as Kobe if not better, skill wise. Kobe only has athleticism over him.

ConanRulesNBC
06-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Sorry but no. Prime Drexler in this era in place of Wade would have even more rings. Prime Drexler would have won at least twice with Shaq in 2005 and 2006.

Mr. Jabbar
06-21-2013, 08:11 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/5952/47t2114508.jpg

crisoner
06-21-2013, 08:12 PM

:facepalm

Your couch n*gga!!!!

crisoner
06-21-2013, 08:13 PM
West is as good as Kobe if not better, skill wise. Kobe only has athleticism over him.

Really...you seen West play?

Flash31
06-21-2013, 08:28 PM

1 guy avg 50,25
one
and hes one og goat if not goat so
come on

But yeah,in no way shape or form is West over Kobe or Wade
sure he has Wade beat in pts,assists and all
but hes also played way longer

and he has a Finals MVP and he didnt even win the Finals

Wade won a finals MVP
AVG
35,6,6 on 50%

and in the Finals hes avg 25,5,5

and in the 2013 finals
20,4,4 with 2 steals and a block on 48%

Wade has more Blocks,a better fg%
and better career avg
West has longevity over him

Wade is on pace to have more assists,rebounds,blocks,steals and points than West

itll be a comparison if West had a huge statistical or dominant advantage but he doesnt

its not like Wilt where he has 2 rings
but his statistical avg and total stats crush everybody else

Its basically

Jordan-6 rings 31000 pts
Kobe-5 rings 30000 pts
Wade-3 rings
West-2 rings-
Allen-2 rings

GrapeApe
06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Wade was hurt and underperformed in the playoffs, but he'll be remembered for battling through injuries to step up and have great performances in some crucial games. He was strong in the finals putting up 20/5/4/2/1 48% and playing great defense. I personally have him as the 3rd best SG, but I have no issue with anyone ranking him below West.

Flash31
06-21-2013, 08:32 PM
No, people who know about West would claim what they claim already, that West was a historically great playoff performer, an even greater Finals performer, the All-time Finals scoring leader and one of the most complete guards to ever play the game. People correctly claim that rings aren't everything. Apart from probably 2006 alone, there isn't a single championship run by Wade that I'd take over West's losing effort in 1969. Especially comparing their Finals series performances, it's a joke, it's not even close.

well contrary to popular belief

West was the opposite of "clutch"
he Lost way more in the Finals than he won

Wade avg 27,6,6 with 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks on 54%fg in 2011

he outplayed Dirk,but they wont give out losing Finals MVPS again
if they did,Shaq would have won in 2004 against the Pistons

316MIA
06-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Sorry but no. Prime Drexler in this era in place of Wade would have even more rings. Prime Drexler would have won at least twice with Shaq in 2005 and 2006.
BUT he doesn't play in this era which is why this was a dumb ass thing to say. Wade is over Drexler now. Idk about Jerry West tho

Bandito
06-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Really...you seen West play?
Just highlights to be honest. He wasn't athletic at all but he was skilled. I don't know if he would be able to beat Kobe at his prime but he will make him sweat. He was all IQ!

Frozen1
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
You can't judge guys by just watching clips from them.

If you watch wade highlight videos, you would think he is one of the best players in history, he is a highlight machine, and his moves, dunks, shots are way better than lebron

kenuffff
06-21-2013, 08:51 PM
jordan
kobe
west
gerwin
wade

drexler would be next, some people might flip flop him and wade, but the top 4 is pretty set there.

Day La Ghetto
06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
wade at his peak 2005-2011 was neck and neck with lebron and Kobe. the clyde argument is rediculous. And conan youre what 20 yrs old?and youre an idiot on top of that. wades top 15 to some people. ive never heard clydes name up that high or even close

Psileas
06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
well contrary to popular belief

West was the opposite of "clutch"
he Lost way more in the Finals than he won

Wade avg 27,6,6 with 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks on 54%fg in 2011

he outplayed Dirk,but they wont give out losing Finals MVPS again
if they did,Shaq would have won in 2004 against the Pistons

Reggie Miller only managed to get to the Finals once and when he did, he lost. So, I guess he wasn't anything special as a clutch player, either...

atljonesbro
06-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Lol the gap between Wade is Drexler is pretty large. He literally has ZERO argument over Wade in any aspect of how we rank players.

And Drexler isn't better than Wade, why would he win more than Wade?

Stop your hidden agenda trying to prop up Jordan.

Kiddlovesnets
06-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Nope hes just the 5th GOAT SG, below MJ, West, Kobe and Drexler.

aj1987
06-22-2013, 02:21 AM
Jordan
Kobe
Wade
West

lol @ the Kobe stan saying that rings are not the only thing that matter. If Kobe's 5> Lebron's 2, the Wade's 3> West's 1.

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Jerry West

NBA champion (1972)
NBA Finals MVP (1969)

aj242
06-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Lol the gap between Wade is Drexler is pretty large. He literally has ZERO argument over Wade in any aspect of how we rank players.

And Drexler isn't better than Wade, why would he win more than Wade?

yup

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 02:43 AM
Jordan
Kobe
Wade
West

lol @ the Kobe stan saying that rings are not the only thing that matter. If Kobe's 5> Lebron's 2, the Wade's 3> West's 1.
West made it to the NBA Finals 9 times and has the most points in Finals history, along with the most 30 and 40 point games. He along with MJ and Shaq are the greatest Finals performers in NBA history. Saying West just has one championship doesn't really do him justice at all. He along with Baylor had to face the Celtic dynasty who had nearly their entire rosters being hall of famers.

aj1987
06-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Still won only 1 ring out of trips to the Finals. Elgin didn't even win an MVP, let alone a ring to justify his place in the top 15. Isn't that what you guys call empty stats. Or are they empty stats only when Durant and Lebron do it?

Cali Syndicate
06-22-2013, 03:04 AM

A strong one.

Jacks3
06-22-2013, 03:21 AM
Wade has no argument for being top 3.

Dude has 5 elite seasons for his entire career and now he's better than West?

:roll:

WayOfWade
06-22-2013, 03:39 AM
The #3 all time spot is really just down to Wade and West (sorry Drexler fans). I'd need to do some research before giving a definite, and hopefully unbiased answer.

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Still won only 1 ring out of trips to the Finals. Elgin didn't even win an MVP, let alone a ring to justify his place in the top 15. Isn't that what you guys call empty stats. Or are they empty stats only when Durant and Lebron do it?
West's Playoff runs to the Finals

62: 32-7-4 - lost in Game 7 in overtime by 3 points
63: 28-8-5
65: 41-6-5 (without Baylor)
66: 34-6-6 - lost Game 7 by 2 points
68: 31-6-5
69: 31-4-8 - lost Game 7 by 2 points
70: 31-4-8 - lost Game 7

West was so damn unlucky. ****ing Celtics man, West probably still has nightmares of those games. Baylor was part of those teams too and had an NBA Finals record 61 points in Game 5 of the 62 Finals, and averaged 41-18-4 for the series. I don't know how numbers in the playoffs are empty stats? These guys were literaly seconds away from winning titles and they were empty stats? They were obviously having an impact when they were making the finals nearly every year of the 60s decade.

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Finals MVPs
West - 1
Wade - 1

MVP shares (% of votes they got each year added up, not an advanced stat)
West - 2.090
Wade - 0.793

All-Star teams
West - 14
Wade - 9

All-NBA teams
West - 12 (10 First teams)
Wade - 8 (2 First teams)

Scoring titles
West - 1
Wade - 1

Assist titles
West - 1
Wade - 0

Wade - 16,453

Rebounds
West - 5,366
Wade - 3,364

Assists
West - 6,238
Wade - 4,049

How is Wade 3rd SG Of alltime again?

LEFT4DEAD
06-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Since I didnt see West playing, Wade is easily top 3 SG for me. If you win just one ring out of 9 times, and just one FMVP as a loser on top of all, there is no way you can be a better player than one of the best finals performers of all time.
Only people arguing it are stupid Kobe' stans who always hated Wade, and some nostalgic oldies.

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Since I didnt see West playing, Wade is easily top 3 SG for me. If you win just one ring out of 9 times, and just one FMVP as a loser on top of all, there is no way you can be a better player than one of the best finals performers of all time.
Only people arguing it are stupid Kobe' stans who always hated Wade, and some nostalgic oldies.
West in the NBA Finals
-most points
-most 30 point games
-most 40 point games

Wade?
-most freethrows in a single series?

3LiftHeatCurse
06-22-2013, 04:45 AM
West was a PG.

But if we want to classify West as a SG, then West is the 2nd GOAT SG.

His statistics shit all over Kobe Bryant. This is fact, go look up his stats. And he did this BEFORE the addition of the 3 pointer.

But that's beside the point. West was a PG.

1. MJ
2. Kobe (for now)
3. Wade

LEFT4DEAD
06-22-2013, 04:48 AM
West in the NBA Finals
-most points
-most 30 point games
-most 40 point games

Wade?
-most freethrows in a single series?

So you are comparing them in points, even though one has been 9 times in the finals and the other one only 4 times! Only on ISH.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-22-2013, 04:49 AM
I'm not even sure why Jerry West's name is being brought up. He's a PG.

If he was a SG, Kobe would be #3 all time behind MJ and West.

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 04:50 AM
West was a PG.

But if we want to classify West as a SG, then West is the 2nd GOAT SG.

His statistics shit all over Kobe Bryant. This is fact, go look up his stats. And he did this BEFORE the addition of the 3 pointer.

But that's beside the point. West was a PG.

1. MJ
2. Kobe (for now)
3. Wade
http://i.imgur.com/HF2fViD.gif

1. MJ
*gap*
2. Kobe
3. West
*gap*
4. Wade
5. Drexler

Deuce Bigalow
06-22-2013, 04:54 AM
So you are comparing them in points, even though one has been 9 times in the finals and the other one only 4 times! Only on ISH.
Comparing where they stand in the greatest finals performers part. You implied that West wasn't one of the greatest finals performers while Wade was.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-22-2013, 04:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HF2fViD.gif

1. MJ
*gap*
2. Kobe
3. West
*gap*
4. Wade
5. Drexler

If West is a SG in your mind, then

1. MJ
*gap*
*gap*
*gap*
*gap*
*gap*
2. West
*gap*
*gap*
3. Kobe
4. Wade

Wade's statistics and resume match up quite well to Kobe's, with Kobe having the advantage which is why he's at 3.

LEFT4DEAD
06-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Comparing where they stand in the greatest finals performers part. You implied that West wasn't one of the greatest finals performers while Wade was.
So you want to argue that West was a good finals performer even though he lost 8 of 9 times on stacked teams??? Those numbers that you post I call empty stats. You know what those words mean better than anyone else. :sleeping

ShaqAttack3234
06-22-2013, 05:31 AM
I still have West over Wade. This championship run didn't change Wade's ranking for me at all.

1.Jordan
2.Kobe
3.West
4.Wade

5 is tough, have to think about it more. Right now, nobody stands out as the clear number 5 for me. SG position really drops off after the top 4.

Jacks3
06-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Delusional Wade stans. :oldlol:

D-Wade316
06-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Wade probaby ****ed a close family member of Jacks3.

Kews1
06-22-2013, 08:24 AM
It's not just rings that count.

Haha your arguments change to suit your agenda

It's also career stats and Jerry West crushes Wade in that department. Rings are important plus career stats. That's why I don't think Lebron is close to Kobe yet. His stats aren't good enough yet.

Hahaha DaFuCcCc is wrong with you 9er you fool

TheTenth
06-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Wade (so far - as he has not had a long late career slump to speak of) is a better scorer, passer, and rebounder while West is more efficient (barely) and could quite possibly be the better defender.

Bandito
06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Haha your arguments change to suit your agenda

Hahaha DaFuCcCc is wrong with you 9er you fool
He says that because Jerry "The Logo" West was a better player than Wade will ever be. MAkes sense to me for him to say that.

aj1987
06-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Wade probaby ****ed a close family member of Jacks3.
That and the fact that he's completely retarded.

@Deuce,

Isn't that why Lebron got destroyed prior to his Heat days? All the stats he put up were considered to be empty stats. All those stats from West and only one title to show for it? When it comes down to it, I would rather have a player who helps me win a title, over a player who puts up crazy stats. That's the reason why I still rank Kobe over Lebron (aside from troll posts).

BTW, all those All-Star games and All-NBA teams are horse shit. West was an All-Star in 1974 and he played only 31 games.

tpols
06-22-2013, 10:55 AM
MJ
Kobe
West
Wade

Wade coasted through the east and let Bron play his Cleveland ball until they had to actually play up to par against real competition and then he stepped up to starter all star level when they really needed him.

Can't judge an individual on 3-4 games over the other 16-17 though..gotta look at both and combined wade was all star reserve level at best for the entirety of the run.

For reference wade had a lower overall efficiency than 04 Kobe..who gets crucified for his play that playoffs. If wade really is a top five SG we have to hold him to a higher standard

aj1987
06-22-2013, 11:00 AM
For reference wade had a lower overall efficiency than 04 Kobe..who gets crucified for his play that playoffs. If wade really is a top five SG we have to hold him to a higher standard
However bad he plays from now on, he can't be dropped below the 4th position though. 3x Champion and 1x FMVP. None of the others below him have achieved that.

tpols
06-22-2013, 11:04 AM
However bad he plays from now on, he can't be dropped below the 4th position though. 3x Champion and 1x FMVP. None of the others below him have achieved that.
Well unless iverson comes back from china and drops 40ppg hell be pretty safe lol..

He actually could've had 4 rings and 2 FMVPS if it wasn't for lebrons passiveness two Years ago.

Then again h could've been 2 rings and 1 FMVP if the spurs don't choke away game 6. Shows how fragile these achievements really are and he had no control over those outcomes.

Ne 1
06-22-2013, 11:40 AM

I have a lot of respect for Jerry West, but I don't really see any case for ranking him over or putting him in the same tier as Kobe. (I have West in the same tier as Oscar and Moses, and Kobe in the same tier as Duncan and Hakeem) West has no edge on Kobe awards wise, scoring wise, statistically, winning wise...absolutely none. Kobe is a better scorer, defender, rebounder, and nearly as good a play-maker/passer. His longevity/durability is also superior. West missed a ton of time with injuries.

Both were the best SG's of their era, great defensive players, great shooters, and could play-make/facilitate as well. Not many weaknesses if any at all at the 2 guard. Kobe's main advantage is his versatility (he's just bigger than West and can move down to SF or play in the post) and the fact that his teams have capitalized on their talent. You could chalk it up to playing with prime Shaq, Phil Jackson, the Lakers front office, or whatever, but Kobe's won 5 championship on teams with comparable talent for their eras compared to 1 for West. That counts IMO. Not to mention Kobe is an MVP winner and he's surpassed all of West's Laker records as well.

Bandito
06-22-2013, 11:46 AM
That's my take on it too. It's either 3rd or fourth best on the Sg GOAT lists.

aj1987
06-22-2013, 12:05 PM
That's my take on it too. It's either 3rd or fourth best on the Sg GOAT lists.
Yep. Unless Wade finds a age reversing machine and wins an MVP and two FVMP's, he's not going to be ranked above Kobe.

DMAVS41
06-22-2013, 12:47 PM
I still have West over Wade. This championship run didn't change Wade's ranking for me at all.

1.Jordan
2.Kobe
3.West
4.Wade

5 is tough, have to think about it more. Right now, nobody stands out as the clear number 5 for me. SG position really drops off after the top 4.

I agree with this, but what is funny is that we would rank Wade differently if he had the finals mvp and title in 11. And he deserved it and would have it if not for Lebron.

So it's hard for me to just disregard this years title when his play in 11 warranted not only a title but a finals mvp as well.

I still have West over him as well.