PDA

View Full Version : Clippers call and offer Celtics future first for Doc Rivers..

All Net
06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Near agreement

Woj

Just on twitter now..

Shade8780
06-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Better than letting him go for nothing. I'd take it as long as we get no other players in the deal.

UConnCeltics
Do it.

Harison
Is that a 4th on-off round in the last two weeks? :confusedshrug:

All Net
06-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Is that a 4th on-off round in the last two weeks? :confusedshrug:
Yep but first time Clippers offer a future first round pick.

ballup
06-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Isn't that the same offer the Clippers did not want to do?

SpecialQue
06-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Jesus Christ. :facepalm

Rondo
06-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Boring now.

HomieWeMajor
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Yawn.

-HomieWeMajor

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Hope it gets done this time.

All Net
06-23-2013, 04:21 PM

No they were only willing to offer a future 2nd rounder.

fpliii
06-23-2013, 04:22 PM
No they were only willing to offer a future 2nd rounder.

Gut feeling - do you think it goes through this time?

cotdt
06-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Since when could you trade a COACH for a player?

All Net
06-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Gut feeling - do you think it goes through this time?

Hope so. Be best for both parties if it does. Would mean Paul is resigning.

Johnny Jones
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
I thought they couldn't do this?

ZaaaaaH
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Clipz want Doc so they can keep CP3 happy so they can resign him.

Bottom line Clipz should give up their useless 1st round pick and get one of the best Coach right now.

qrich
06-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Yep but first time Clippers offer a future first round pick.

Last I read, Clips offered 2014 2nd or Protected 2015 First but Boston wanted 2014 or two firsts.

Either way, Sacks is smart to be discussing tracts with Shaw & Scott. Rivers is so damn overrated, what has he done outside of the big 3? Even Mike Dunleavy would have won a ring with Boston, if not won two.

senelcoolidge
06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Clippers will probably want to give a 2015 pick. The Celtics probably want a 2014 pick..they don't like this current draft.

All Net
06-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Wonder if KG is next

Kevin_Garnett_5
06-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Last I read, Clips offered 2014 2nd or Protected 2015 First but Boston wanted 2014 or two firsts.

Either way, Sacks is smart to be discussing tracts with Shaw & Scott. Rivers is so damn overrated, what has he done outside of the big 3? Even Mike Dunleavy would have won a ring with Boston, if not won two.
Nobody was winning shit with Boston after KG's knee injury in 2009.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I thought they couldn't do this?

As I understand it it isnt a trade...its a pick as compensation for signing their coach who is under contract. I might be wrong but I think its a holdover from when you had to send a pick or players to a team if you signed their free agent.

Im sure someone will break it down shortly. But he cant be straight up traded with a player. Has to be separate deals since his isnt technically a trade.

Derka
06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Chris Paul *really* wants Doc, doesn't he?

Real Men Wear Green
06-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Rivers did well with the guys he had. Don't forget that the Garnett injury in 2009 ruined all hopes for that season and changed KG permanently. Rondo also got hurt during and before two postseasons. There are few coaches that would have done more and VDN isn't one of them.

qrich
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Rivers did well with the guys he had. Don't forget that the Garnett injury in 2009 ruined all hopes for that season and changed KG permanently. Rondo also got hurt during and before two postseasons. There are few coaches that would have done more and VDN isn't one of them.

No one's saying anything about Del Negro, but that doesn't take away the fact that Rivers was always one and done until he got a stacked side. And that just isn't worth two firsts, let alone one.

PJR
06-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Doc Rivers isn't going to put the Clippers in any more better position to win then Del Negro did. At the end of the day, it's all about the roster.

Young X
06-23-2013, 05:16 PM
What about KG?

Real Men Wear Green
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
No one's saying anything about Del Negro, but that doesn't take away the fact that Rivers was always one and done until he got a stacked side. And that just isn't worth two firsts, let alone one.
My fault, you were talking about Dunleavy. I'd say the same about him though. As for Rivers no coach wins without great talent. But we've seen plenty of coaches fail with great talent. If a guy shows he can get it done with great talent that validates him as a coach. And with CP3 apparently influencing the Clippers with his free agency this may be the right thing for LA to do, though Rivers may not be worth a first without Paul's tying in his future.

BlackWhiteGreen
06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
If we get a 2014 pick I'm happy enough with that. It'll be basically at the end of the draft but it's all about stockpiling assets now.

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 39m
In the NBA's view, nothing has changed regarding a Doc Rivers compensation deal. It's not allowed to be attached to players, period.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 37m
League office will take a skeptical view of any Rivers transaction, sources say. Will be hard to sell as separate from player discussions.

CelticBaller
06-23-2013, 05:29 PM
do it

BlackWhiteGreen
06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Clippers, Celtics are agreeing upon a 2015 unprotected first-round pick, league source tells Y! Rivers, Clippers still finalizing contract.

I'm going to laugh so hard if Paul still leaves

Real Men Wear Green
06-23-2013, 05:37 PM
An unprotected 2015 would be fine by me. Unfortunately it's sounding like Stern is against this deal. It'd be nice to know what the rules are regarding compensation for a coach breaking contract. Are there even any guidelines? Does a future first count as a player?

flipogb
06-23-2013, 05:51 PM
An unprotected 2015 would be fine by me. Unfortunately it's sounding like Stern is against this deal. It'd be nice to know what the rules are regarding compensation for a coach breaking contract. Are there even any guidelines? Does a future first count as a player?

picks and cash are ok for a coach, this should go through. then the Clippers will pretend the negotiations for KG later on is tough but in the end they will get KG too.

chocolatethunder
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
My understanding is that you basically can't do this. The league would have to approve compensation and there's no guarantee that they'll be on board. So I don't think that it's a done deal. You can't trade a coach for a pick, it's just not reality in the NBA. I don't know how this will actually be done. I'm not saying that it won't happen but the league would have to approve this and I'm not sure if they will want to. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

ConanRulesNBC
06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
So first this and then I'm assuming on July 1st they'll do one big trade and Clippers will send DeAndre Jordan, Butler and others for Pierce and Garnett?

chocolatethunder
06-23-2013, 06:18 PM
The rules are a coach can't break contract and go to another team. It's not possible. He has to be fired or retire and sit out. That doesn't mean that something can't be worked out here but I'm not sure that the league office wants this to work out because this kind of opens up a real can of worms for the future. Not convinced this is going to work out.

Al Thornton
06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm going to laugh so hard if Paul still leaves

chris paul wouldn't have left even if vdn was given a contract extension.

qrich
06-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Last time our front office bent overbackwards to please the top dog ended up backfiring.

And both times were vast overpayment :facepalm

All Net
06-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Finally..

BlackWhiteGreen
06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
So first this and then I'm assuming on July 1st they'll do one big trade and Clippers will send DeAndre Jordan, Butler and others for Pierce and Garnett?

That's difficult numbers-wise (Clips don't have enough in contracts). Ainge will probably explore other options with Pierce, somewhere for a trade exception would be my first choice (Cleveland interests me just because I'd love to see what they could do with him, Kyrie, Waiters and Noel or Len).

tomtucker
06-23-2013, 06:30 PM
why is doc going to the clippers ?

BlackWhiteGreen
06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
chris paul wouldn't have left even if vdn was given a contract extension.

Wishful thinking really, I like the Clips and will root for them if KG/Pierce wind up there. But obviously as a Celts fan I want that pick to be as high as possible

Done_And_Done
06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9415256/los-angeles-clippers-verge-landing-doc-rivers-sources-say

Shade8780
06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 14m
Y! Sources: Clippers reach an agreement in principle on a three-year deal to hire Doc Rivers as coach. http://tinyurl.com/mmh37n2
YAY!

Shade8780
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
All we have to do now is trade KG and Pierce, get a coach (don't really know who yet. Maybe Gentry?), and get Shabazz or Schroeder in the Draft.

ConanRulesNBC
06-23-2013, 06:38 PM
That's difficult numbers-wise (Clips don't have enough in contracts). Ainge will probably explore other options with Pierce, somewhere for a trade exception would be my first choice (Cleveland interests me just because I'd love to see what they could do with him, Kyrie, Waiters and Noel or Len).

An article I read a couple weeks ago said that if they wait to pull off a trade involving KG and Pierce that they could do one big trade but it would have to be after July 1st.

Done_And_Done
06-23-2013, 06:38 PM
why is doc going to the clippers ?

Because he isn't keen on partaking in a rebuild, which although understandable, does not warrant the entitlement to seek employment in greener pastures. Hence the hit his reputation has been taking over this...

BlackWhiteGreen
06-23-2013, 06:40 PM
An article I read a couple weeks ago said that if they wait to pull off a trade involving KG and Pierce that they could do one big trade but it would have to be after July 1st.

That might be true, I know it doesnt work on the trade machine now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mmpnzzx

All Net
06-23-2013, 06:53 PM
NBA won't allow kg to clips.. According to stein.

KingLeBronJames
06-23-2013, 06:53 PM
NBA won't allow kg to clips.. According to stein.
No matter how good or how bad they are. Clippers will always fail. :oldlol:

All Net
06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN source says NBA does NOT intend to budge from Stern's stance & would see subsequent KG-to-Clips deal as connected & thus in violation

Reverend Hoops
06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Does Doc really think this is a championship roster?:biggums:

ripthekik
06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN source says NBA does NOT intend to budge from Stern's stance & would see subsequent KG-to-Clips deal as connected & thus in violation
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

subsequent deal should be separate. wtf nba. Clippers should take them to court on this. What if the deal was in december? Or the clippers can never deal with boston again? :facepalm

Thechosen1
06-23-2013, 07:06 PM

that possibly must be the most idiotic rule i have ever seen in a sport....I hope the league fails because of this bullshit

Haymaker
06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
NBA clearly hates Chris Paul :oldlol:

tomtucker
06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Because he isn't keen on partaking in a rebuild, which although understandable, does not warrant the entitlement to seek employment in greener pastures. Hence the hit his reputation has been taking over this...

i see.......... thanks.................i dont see clippers being better then a rebuilding celtics team

FLDFSU
06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Stephen A. Smith was the first one that called Lebron to Miami a month before it happened. Nobody had Miami even on the map.

Smith was also called this one about a month ago. Man got some connections.

He now claims that Bosh could be on the trading block this offseason. Given his history he might just be right.

Haymaker
06-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Sadly, Doc leaving changes the whole culture of the Celtics. It's gonna take a while until they find their identity again. In 2008 they created a great team that linked back to what the Celtics were about in the 80's. If they hire a soft uninspiring coach, I see Rondo acting up and either demanding a trade or just leaving in free agency after his contract expires.

senelcoolidge
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Sadly, Doc leaving changes the whole culture of the Celtics. It's gonna take a while until they find their identity again. In 2008 they created a great team that linked back to what the Celtics were about in the 80's. If they hire a soft uninspiring coach, I see Rondo acting up and either demanding a trade or just leaving in free agency after his contract expires.

It looks like the Celtics might hire Del Negro. Players like him, just very bad with the x's and o's. He would be fine for a rebuilding Celtics team.

33teeth
06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't really get this for either team. And I don't see how it can go through.

Rivers just isn't that good a coach. The Clippers aren't a contender (opinion). The Celtics certainly aren't a contender anymore.

I guess this might help Boston if it goes through though it's still likely to be a long haul. Not convinced it really changes much for the Clips though.

Done_And_Done
06-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't really get this for either team. And I don't see how it can go through.

Rivers just isn't that good a coach. The Clippers aren't a contender (opinion). The Celtics certainly aren't a contender anymore.

I guess this might help Boston if it goes through though it's still likely to be a long haul. Not convinced it really changes much for the Clips though.

How do you figure? Paul can actually start trying to win now that his coach is a legitimate African-American :D

Al Thornton
06-23-2013, 08:03 PM
lmao at these kids thinking the clippers aren't a contender. they won 56 games this season without a real coach including a 17 game winning streak. now that they'll actually have rotations and plays they are going to dominate.

Derka
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Kevin Garnett changed the culture and identity of Celtics basketball, not Doc Rivers. Doc was mere steps away from being fired before Danny pulled off the KG and Ray Allen trades.

alenleomessi
06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
i think he is overrated too, but still a HUGE upgrade over del negro

hopefully next is kg for deandre

daily
06-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Yes it is.

qrich
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Looks like Clippers assistants will be Ty Lue, Alvin Gentry and possibly Lawrence Frank. If Lionel Hollins doesn't get a head gig somewhere, I'd love him as the Head Assistant.

Only way to make this move a positive one :facepalm

daily
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Wonder if KG is next
Nope, League has already told both teams any subsequent trades this summer will be blocked. Doc is all the Clippers will get this year

bagelred
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
It's good to see the racist Chris Paul got the black coach that he so desperately wanted.

Racists gonna race. :pimp:

ballup
06-23-2013, 09:20 PM
lmao at these kids thinking the clippers aren't a contender. they won 56 games this season without a real coach including a 17 game winning streak. now that they'll actually have rotations and plays they are going to dominate.
Lol look at you, thinking that Doc is good at rotations.

Reverend Hoops
06-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Can't wait until Vinny shows Doc is not that good. I don't see them winning 50 this year if they keep CP3.

qrich
06-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Can't wait until Vinny shows Doc is not that good. I don't see them winning 50 this year if they keep CP3.

So they are all of a sudden going to lose an additional seven games with an upgrade in the coaching staff (I'm not high on Doc, but Vinny was doo-doo) and maintaining the best point in the league....really?

DuMa
06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
i feel bad for KG. clips/celts seem to be fine with him playing for clippers but the league is blocking it for some silly reason.

bagelred
06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Nope, League has already told both teams any subsequent trades this summer will be blocked. Doc is all the Clippers will get this year

This is bullshit. Celtics/Clippers should be able to do a subsequent deal. Can't prove they are intertwined at all. And even if they were, why do they even care? As long as both teams are compensated and trade looks fair.

Once again, the league going hard at big market teams. If small market teams were doing this deal, no restrictions would be in place.

PickernRoller
06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
RIP Celtics. F'ck Rivers.....

Kill Jim Buss?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9415256/los-angeles-clippers-agree-principle-doc-rivers-deal-sources

Bout time.

COnDEMnED
06-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Yahoo also reporting deal is waiting for NBA approval.

daily
06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
This is bullshit. Celtics/Clippers should be able to do a subsequent deal. Can't prove they are intertwined at all. And even if they were, why do they even care? As long as both teams are compensated and trade looks fair.

Once again, the league going hard at big market teams. If small market teams were doing this deal, no restrictions would be in place.

the problem is it was part of the original deal the NBA blocked. If they do it now it's just finding a way around what the NBA already told them they couldn't do.

Moral of the story for NBA teams, read all of the CBA so the league doesn't have to tell you what's in it and don't talk to the media. The league literally had to tell two NBA team front offices of something that's outlined in the CBA and somebody in one of these front offices leaked a story that should have been kept quiet until the deal was done.