PDA

View Full Version : Official Toronto Blue Jays Discussion 2013

bluerap
06-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Now that there is something to talk about ! :bowdown:

Qwyjibo
06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
I was wondering about that too. I just kinda moved over to the main MLB thread in OT.

Dr.Funk
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I tried finding it the other day with no luck.

Qwyjibo
06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
It was probably a casualty of how shitty these boards run during the playoffs. Reps, avatars and big threads all get removed. You'd think that wouldn't be necessary. I guess we're just not clicking on enough ads. :ohwell:

DJMason
06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
So with the old thread dead we can all just forget I proclaimed our playoff hopes dead a month ago right?

This season is officially ridiculous. Totally grateful that my flex pack was relatively backloaded with two games having been this week. Can't wait for the Canada Day game with us in the thick of it and Reyes back.

Grey Dawn
07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Season's still over.

The 'comeback' was all fools gold.

They were simply too far behind already.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Season's still over.

The 'comeback' was all fools gold.

They were simply too far behind already.
I agree. The win streak was nice but the hole was huge. I still wouldn't bet any money on the playoffs. They really needed to go better than 5-5 in the games vs the East.

bluerap
07-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I think they can make it interesting, still so many factors but if they get hot again they can still make it.

When they were really down my thinking was that they would have to get to 5 games back by the all-star game to have a shot. I think they have that shot now.

But even before the season started I didn't think they would make the playoffs. I thought this year would be about competing, next year would be about playoffs. The starting pitching is still nowhere near good enough.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
The starting pitching is still nowhere near good enough.
Yep.

I was really expecting Dickey and Johnson to be a solid top 2 in the rotation. Not as good as they were in the NL obviously but still solid #2 type pitchers. They haven't been. Morrow was awful when healthy. Buehrle is well, Buerhle. When his command is off even a tiny bit, he'll get drilled. Rogers has been fantastic so far though.

I figured the defense would be bad going into this season with Melky in LF and the downgrade from Escobar to Reyes (defensively). But the starting pitching was supposed to be better.

bluerap
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Yep.

I was really expecting Dickey and Johnson to be a solid top 2 in the rotation. Not as good as they were in the NL obviously but still solid #2 type pitchers. They haven't been. Morrow was awful when healthy. Buehrle is well, Buerhle. When his command is off even a tiny bit, he'll get drilled. Rogers has been fantastic so far though.

I figured the defense would be bad going into this season with Melky in LF and the downgrade from Escobar to Reyes (defensively). But the starting pitching was supposed to be better.

Agreed.
I really expected Johnson to have a great year (contract year). And I was hoping Ricky would bounce back.

My other beef is second base. Kelly Johnson (or Aaron Hill) would look pretty good now.

Dr.Funk
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Agreed.
I really expected Johnson to have a great year (contract year). And I was hoping Ricky would bounce back.

My other beef is second base. Kelly Johnson (or Aaron Hill) would look pretty good now.

Kelly Johnson is f'n terrible.

Chamberlain
07-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Re-stickied for your enjoyment!

Qwyjibo
07-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Dickey getting smacked around by the Twins. There's the low-point for me so far in this miserable season.

Already looking at 2014.

brwnman
07-08-2013, 01:24 AM
On the trade front, I haven't read anything but just speculating here. I could see the Jays taking a flier on Jemile Weeks of the Oakland A's.

Not sure what the A's would be looking for in return. But he went from the future at second base to an afterthought. A's called up Grant Green recently to team up with Sogard at second base, so it's not like their second base is solid, but if Green sticks, I could see them moving Weeks. I would assume it wouldn't be much that the A's would be asking. Maybe with Cecil's all star nod, they can deal him. Now Jemile Weeks can come up and totally sh!t the bed, but I think it's worth a shot. Or maybe I'm underselling Cecil's value. Cecil won't be a FA until 2017 and Weeks won't be until 2018...

Qwyjibo
07-11-2013, 11:20 PM
I sometimes hate this team so much. I will never abandon the Jays but goddamn...

- Another loss to a good team they are chasing marred by tons of mistakes.
- Bickford might not be signing. One of their later tough sign hopefuls might not either.
- Lawrie shits the bed in his minor league game.

bluerap
07-11-2013, 11:59 PM
what happened with Lawrie?
Just did a search and came up with nothing.

Qwyjibo
07-12-2013, 12:22 AM
what happened with Lawrie?
Just did a search and came up with nothing.
0-4 with 4 strikeouts (and a walk) today in a AAA game. Only one game but still adds to a shitty day.

Qwyjibo
07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Draft disaster somewhat averted. No Bickford but Brentz and Tellez get signed. Whoever is advising high school kids to turn down almost $3 million (assuming slot value) is a moron.

brwnman
07-12-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't mind that Bickford passed. Kind of glad about it (next year's draft is supposedly much stronger). However, not signing Beede in the last year of the old CBA could prove costly. He is projected to be a Top 5 pick, and in most mock drafts, a top 3 pick.

Brentz and Tellez were seen as tough signs, and them signing really saved the draft...

Dr.Funk
07-14-2013, 08:20 AM

bluerap
07-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Unless there is an extension I don't see the point.

I heard one of the commentators saying that Lawrie to second was to boost his trade value. (Why else play him at 2B and Cesar at 3B)

Qwyjibo
07-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Unless there is an extension I don't see the point.

I agree. And even then, do you really want to extend a 30-year old Matt Garza?

I really hope the Jays don't get desperate and go after rental players for this season. The playoffs are a pipe dream right now, IMO.

brwnman
07-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Exactly what I said, I see no point in that trade.

If I am the Jays, I'm a big time seller at this point. Problem is, who are you gonna sell off?

Jays can't trade Dickey, won't get anything close to what they paid for him.
Josh Johnson won't fetch much, plus I think Josh Johnson will have a decision to make next year. Either accept the $12 million to rebuild his value, or if someone actually offers him a lot. He goes via FA and gets Toronto a first round pick.
Buerhle, owed $19 million next year and the year after, good luck moving him.

I'd be looking to move Janssen, Oliver, Cecil and Delabar if they fetch us any value. I think if you package them, you may be able to buy low on a player (like Rasmus).

Personally, I would hate to go the Marlins way, but would it be such a bad idea to start thinking of trading Jose Bautista, Jose Reyes and Edwin Encarnacion? I know this is a team that was built with a 3 year window in mind; but this ballclub doesn't seem like it's that close...

DJMason
07-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Before we talk blowing the whole damn team up, I recommend headinv over to Grantland and reading the article on the Bosox retool for this year after a disappointing 2011 & 2012. Basically they made wise acquisitions and jetisoned the shyte contracts while keeping the legit core together.

We should be a mixture of buying and selling and certainly shouldn't just throw the next two seasons.

brwnman
07-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Before we talk blowing the whole damn team up, I recommend headinv over to Grantland and reading the article on the Bosox retool for this year after a disappointing 2011 & 2012. Basically they made wise acquisitions and jetisoned the shyte contracts while keeping the legit core together.

We should be a mixture of buying and selling and certainly shouldn't just throw the next two seasons.

I think age is a factor as well. My question would be, what is our legit core? Bautista, Reyes, Edwin and perhaps Rasmus? I would say Lawrie is too, but this is his second straight down year. That still leaves us with catcher, second base, first base/DH and LF (Melky).

Even if we fix our hitting somewhat, starting pitching is the real problem. We have invested heavily in Dickey and Buehrle. I would love to get rid of Buehrle, just don't know who will take that contract off our hands and with that, he will be out there every 5 days. Once again, Josh Johnson will have a decision to make, but eventually, I do think some NL team will pay him. Then you have Ricky Romero (who had his 4th straight quality start today) and Brandon Morrow who have their spot penciled in. Also Happ, Hutchison, Rogers, Drabek etc all battling for the fifth spot. Pretty much what I'm trying to get at is that we're going to go into next season with pretty much the same team.

I think AA had a great opportunity in the off season two years ago. Darvish + Fielder. That should have been the target. Even if they didn't get Fielder, cause I thought his contract was too much, Darvish should have been a must. All it would have cost us was money, no prospects, no draft picks...

RapsFan
07-14-2013, 04:12 PM
What is the problem with keeping this team together and adding more to it? Do we know that payroll is an issue or something?

As a more casual fan then some on here admittedly, I don't want to yet again sell off. Baseball has it figured out that's for sure. Get fans to believe in hope.....obsessed with 'what ifs' from the farm system. All of a sudden you're the Pirates and Royals and 20 years go by with nothing to show for it.

DJMason
07-14-2013, 04:22 PM
The Bosox core isn't exactly young either, and Pedroia is an injury waiting to happen.

IMO you keep Dickey, both Jose's, Edwin & Lind as your core with Cecil & Delebar as my only almost untouchable bullpen arms and Rasmus being a fringe core piece with Gose regressing and my uncertainty as to what you'd even get for him.

There is no reason that with a few tweaks similar to what Boston did this year and the lack of epically bad early-season baseball thatbwe can't right this ship in 2014.

Qwyjibo
07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
There is no need to blow it up. The goal will be to contend for 2014 and 2015 with this core.

The only players I'd look to move are Johnson (obviously), Janssen, Oliver, Lind and see if you can sell high on a guy in AAA like Pillar. I'd move Gose too but his value is probably shit after how awful he's been this year. Oh and obviously look to move Buehrle too but good luck doing that unless you're picking up most of his contract.

Toni
07-14-2013, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Dr.Funk]

brwnman
07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
What is the problem with keeping this team together and adding more to it? Do we know that payroll is an issue or something?

I don't know if there's anyone in FA besides maybe Cano, Choo, Pence & McCann that would help the Jays. And all of them will command major $$. Not sure the Jays will be spending anything more than they did this past year.

Also, I'm not buying Lind, I absolutely sell high on him if possible. He's reverted back to his old ways after a hot stretch...

bluerap
07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
take it easy on lind. you can't be hot for the entire year, we should see how he does in the second half. that being said, no one is untouchable for the right deal.

the main issue is obviously rotation. I'm just not sure how to improve there as our farm system is already gutted.

Dr.Funk
07-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Watching the 20th anniversary of the 93 world series and damn imagine if we would have pulled the trigger on the Randy Johnson deal.

bluerap
07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Anyone wish we could reverse the Marlins deal?
I'm not even gonna ask about the Mets Deal...:facepalm

Qwyjibo
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Anyone wish we could reverse the Marlins deal?
I'm not even gonna ask about the Mets Deal...:facepalm
It depends on what else would have been avaiable.

I was glad they got Reyes. I was glad they got Johnson. I realized that Buehrle was more of a "you guys have to take his contract to make this deal work". Johnson has clearly bombed and that's the part of the deal that has backfired. I don't care too much about Nicolino or Marisnick even though he's clearly bounced back this year. It also depends on whether or not the Reys and Buehrle contracts will prevent the Jays from spending much going forward. We'll see.

The Mets deal looks ugly though. I personally thought that D'arnud would immediately be better than JP. Maybe not a star but a quality everyday catcher. The injuries are a concern but still, with how bad JP has been, that might hurt. I'm not too concerned over Syndergaard though. He's still mostly a 1-pitch guy right now and if he doesn't improve the curve-ball, there's still a legit chance he ends up as a reliever (albeit, a very good one). He's also probably 2 years away.

DJMason
07-26-2013, 03:26 PM
I'll never wish to take back a trade that brought Jose Reyes here. None of the players we traded away in either deal will be as good as him so whatever.

The Mets deal as far as I see it is a bust, but in all likelihood is a future bullpen arm and a guy who can't stay healthy and is replaceable by Aaron Sanchez in a couple years anyway. I still believe we haven't seen the best of Dickey yet either.

I don't love either trade as much, but even in hindsight we have to try and win with Edwin and Jose in the next 3 years anyway so I can't kill either deal. After seeing us waste Delgado and Halladay I'm sick of constantly building towards the nebulous future.

brwnman
07-26-2013, 05:02 PM
From everything I've read, Syndergaard has improved his curveball and is no longer just a one-pitch pitcher. He is also working to develop that change up. That Dickey trade has been horrible. I don't think it's going to get any better either. It looks like an absolute fleecing right now. I have always liked Syndergaard and I think he's got a legit shot at being a starter. He hasn't been challenged at any level yet. He's got an extremely good BB rate for someone who throws that hard and his K rate remains near 10k/9. I thought we had given enough by trading D'Arnaud, but adding Syndergaard on top of that was too much.

As for the Marlins trade, I'm not too worried about that one; we did give up pretty decent prospects, but no stars. We got the two best players in the deal (even though Johnson flopped).

Nicolino's K rate has regressed quite a bit; and while he was never gonna be a big K guy, it's below 6k/9 in single-A. Marisnik has been called up way too early, but he's got a legit baseball body. He looks overmatched at the moment, but I think he can develop into a very decent player. Adeiny Hech was leading the NL in average since the beginning of July (last i checked); he's not a bad piece either.

We seriously need to get rid of Buehrle, I do think it will come in the way of us signing some players or going after some good players...

bluerap
07-26-2013, 08:12 PM
If you look at Miami media (the same media that was ripping the Marlins for the trade), they are all eating crow now admitting it was a great trade for the organization.

Reyes is amazing (but also injury prone) and we gave up a ton to get that one piece. Hech is looking like a legit SS. Jake M is looking WAY better than Gose.

Qwyjibo
07-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Hech is terrible. I'd be shocked if he ever hits. And with that bat, he better be the best defensive SS in the league to warrant playing everyday. Losing him in the deal meant little.

DJMason
07-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I feel the need to reiterate my position that unless in 3 of the players we gave up are a better combo than Edwin and the two Jose's in their prime then to hell with them all, I'm still glad we went all-in.

Just wish Dickey and Johnson would have some positive regression at some point and we'd still be golden going into 2014 (assuming Johnson would accept QO in the winter).

Jballer
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Johnson, Buhrle, Dickey didnt flop...

They simply got a healthy dose of ERA plus as I said before.

Guys in the National League always struggle to switch leagues by around 50 points of ERA. Add in the "battter friendly Blue Jays Rogers dome" and the "batter heavy" American League East - those 50 plus points of lost ERA translates into 5 lost games per pitcher.

What we gave up is of no consenquence as this team needs to reach the playoffs during the next 2 -3 years. They smell the fan discontent.

Keep em and resign Johnson if you can.

The big thing is dump all the middle relief and hangers on the rotation for a true number 1 pitcher if you can. Trade 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 and promote a bunch of rookies and D league guys to be your middle relief as long as you can possible land a Zack Grenkie or Roy Haliday.

Play it thin for 3 seasons - make the playoffs on bats an "timely vetern pitching" and then dump dump dump for another 7 year rebuild.

bluerap
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
I was happy with the trades at the time, but now I wish Alex would have stuck to his original plan and built through the draft and player development. We would have been better off trading Bautista and EE for prospects. It would have taken a long time to rebuild this thing properly (this isn't the nba) but we were more than half way there.

Now we are screwed with a maxed-out budget and very few prospects to use in acquisition of starting pitching and filling our other holes. This team is not a real contender (and is far from it). And now if AA can't pull a miracle in the next 2 years we will be back at square one with an old, overpaid team and a depleted farm system.

brwnman
12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Reports are NPB has agreed to a deal with the MLB that the max bid will be $20 million. The player would be free to sign with any team with the highest bid.

Qwyjibo
12-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Reports are NPB has agreed to a deal with the MLB that the max bid will be $20 million. The player would be free to sign with any team with the highest bid.
Well that sucks. At least in the previous system there was a shot that a team like the Jays could submit the highest bid have sole negotiating rights. Now, for the best players, multiple teams will submit max bids and the player will generally choose the bigger market teams to sign a deal with.

Dr.Funk
12-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Well that sucks. At least in the previous system there was a shot that a team like the Jays could submit the highest bid have sole negotiating rights. Now, for the best players, multiple teams will submit max bids and the player will generally choose the bigger market teams to sign a deal with.

Basically all this does is save the large market teams money.

bluerap
12-05-2013, 10:14 AM
every one of these guys is going to sign with the yankees now.

BRabbiT
12-06-2013, 11:45 AM
..Now we are screwed with a maxed-out budget and very few prospects to use in acquisition of starting pitching and filling our other holes ...if AA can't pull a miracle in the next 2 years we will be back at square one with an old, overpaid team and a depleted farm system.

minor league system not as depleted as many think.....

Fangraphs (Dec. 2013)

1) RHP Aaron Sanchez

2) RHP Marcus Stroman

3) 3B Mitch Nay

4) LHP Daniel Norris
5) RHP Roberto Osuna
6) RHP Alberto Tirado
7) C A.J. Jimenez
8) CF D.J. Davis
9) LHP Matt Smoral
10) LHP Sean Nolin

link (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-toronto-blue-jays/)

Baseball Prospectus (Dec. 2013)

"The #Jays will have seven arms in their top 10 (excluding Osuna), and six of the seven have role 6 grades (no. 3 starter) or higher. #rig"

"RHP Alberto Tirado is highly underrated nationally. FB already +; could end up a 7; SL/CH should get to +. #3 prospect on Jays farm."

"It's still a top ten farm for me. Above-avg thickness. RT @nicholasmcmanus @ProfessorParks huh? I thought we sold the farm last offseason?"

"Stroman is short but he's athletic and strong, and I really like his delivery. He has all the characteristics of a frontline #2 starter."

"Absolutely. Stroman is ready for major league rotation. RT @GrubersMullet @ProfessorParks Good enough to start in the bigs this year"

1) RHP Marcus Stroman

2) RHP Aaron Sanchez

3) RHP Alberto Tirado

4) LHP Daniel Norris
5) LHP Sean Nolin
6) C A.J. Jimenez
7) SS Franklin Barreto
8) CF D.J. Davis
9) RHP Chase DeJong
10) LHP Jairo Labourt

link (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22344)

brwnman
12-08-2013, 08:52 PM
With the Mariners signing Cano, the infield is crowded all of a sudden for them. Brad Miller played well last year in his brief time whereas Nick Franklin struggled. If I were the Jays, I'd look into acquiring Nick Franklin for a reliever or two. The Mariners could definitely use relief help and we've got more than enough to deal.

brwnman
12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
According to JPM and Ken Rosenthal, Sergio Santos was going to Texas in a 3 team deal where another player failed a physical. This happened 2-3 weeks ago.

Edwin for Price rumor swirling (doubt either team does it).

AA looking at minor moves to strengthen bench and is optimistic.

AA also has a more complicated big trade that is considered a long shot.

Sorry for the lack of links, they're all from twitter. Either from Ben Nicholson or JPM.

brwnman
12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I suppose this is worth discussing. Roy Halladay has retired from MLB as a member of the Blue Jays (signing a 1-day contract). Injuries the last couple of year really did him in. I remember reading an article a couple of years ago (by Peter Gammons I believe), and he was saying how Doc could be the most likeliest pitcher to hit 300 wins next. He did mention that it would be extremely difficult and that injuries could be a factor. Hats off to Doc!

I think the next question is, will he get to the HOF? It's tough. What makes baseball HOF great is that no very good players make it. It's only elite players that do and you have to be elite for a long time. Longevity matters. I think Halladay was well on his way (until the injuries last couple of years), and I still think there's a good chance he makes it, but the road is much tougher now.

Qwyjibo
12-09-2013, 07:36 PM
From all the recent AA talk, it doesn't seem like there is much (any?) money available to sign a bigger free agent. Ubaldo and Garza are probably pipe dreams. I guess we better hope that either Hutchison or Stroman are legit. Out of all the young guys, those two are, IMO, the most likely to be in the rotation this upcoming year should the Jays not sign/trade for anyone.

brwnman
12-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Stroman is too much of an unknown for me in the sense I have never seen him pitch. Reports are good, but until I see him pitch, can't really make a determination.

With Hutch, I liked him when he was pitching pre-injury. I can see him as a #3 at his peak. However, going with just Buehrle, Dickey and Morrow as your confirmed starters into spring training would be pretty disappointing, especially because I don't trust Dickey or Buehrle. Morrow can't be trusted to pitch a full season either. If that happens to be the case (I don't think it will), we may become sellers by the trade deadline in the upcoming season.

Qwyjibo
12-09-2013, 08:02 PM
With Hutch, I liked him when he was pitching pre-injury. I can see him as a #3 at his peak. However, going with just Buehrle, Dickey and Morrow as your confirmed starters into spring training would be pretty disappointing, especially because I don't trust Dickey or Buehrle. Morrow can't be trusted to pitch a full season either. If that happens to be the case (I don't think it will), we may become sellers by the trade deadline in the upcoming season.
I agree. None of those guys are guarantees to even be #2 quality starters due to a number of reasons. And then after them the next options are Happ, Hutchison, Stroman, Redmond? Then after that you get into the bigger question marks like Drabek, Nolin and, ugh, Romero.

The Jays must add another starter if the goal is to contend in 2014.

RaininThrees
12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
From all the recent AA talk, it doesn't seem like there is much (any?) money available to sign a bigger free agent. Ubaldo and Garza are probably pipe dreams. I guess we better hope that either Hutchison or Stroman are legit. Out of all the young guys, those two are, IMO, the most likely to be in the rotation this upcoming year should the Jays not sign/trade for anyone.

I doubt that he'd say anything if he had enough to get one of those guys. Where's the benefit in saying anything at all? "I have a ton of money to spend, who wants to take it?" doesn't do anything for leverage.

Frankly, though... if they miss out on Garza/Ubaldo/Santana/Tanaka I'd be much more comfortable with them standing pat and seeing what they have in the likes of Drabek, Hutchison, Nolin & Stroman than giving up even more assets on a pitcher (unless we're talking about a top-tier guy).

Oh, hi guys. I'm back, I guess.

brwnman
12-31-2013, 01:24 AM
I doubt that he'd say anything if he had enough to get one of those guys. Where's the benefit in saying anything at all? "I have a ton of money to spend, who wants to take it?" doesn't do anything for leverage.

Frankly, though... if they miss out on Garza/Ubaldo/Santana/Tanaka I'd be much more comfortable with them standing pat and seeing what they have in the likes of Drabek, Hutchison, Nolin & Stroman than giving up even more assets on a pitcher (unless we're talking about a top-tier guy).

Oh, hi guys. I'm back, I guess.

Wb. Gotta make your next post worthwhile.

Ubaldo intrigues me, but I think he's tied to a first round pick (I think for us it'll be a 2nd-3rd). And I absolutely want the Jays to be in on Tanaka. If nothing else, raise the price for the Yankees.

Dr.Funk
12-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Wb. Gotta make your next post worthwhile.

Ubaldo intrigues me, but I think he's tied to a first round pick (I think for us it'll be a 2nd-3rd). And I absolutely want the Jays to be in on Tanaka. If nothing else, raise the price for the Yankees.

We don't give any picks for any free agents.

The Indians would get a sandwich pick but that doesn't effect our picks.

RaininThrees
12-31-2013, 11:21 AM
We don't give any picks for any free agents.

The Indians would get a sandwich pick but that doesn't effect our picks.

The Jays would lose their 2nd rounder.

(Edit: 5,000!)

BRabbiT
02-08-2014, 04:18 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/39/files/2014/02/IMG_20140129_174626-590x442.jpg

Are the Blue Jays Getting a New Turf This Season?

It's not really a question of if the Blue Jays will get a grass field at the Rogers Centre now, it's just a question of when. And when is obviously dependent on how quickly the Toronto Argos can vacate the facility and find a new home.

So what are the Blue Jays supposed to play on in the meantime?

I received an anonymous tip last week (and by anonymous I mean truly anonymous) that the Blue Jays may be in the process of modifying the current AstroTurf for the 2014 season.

This information should obviously be taken with a grain of salt considering the undisclosed origin, but there's a chance this person could be onto something.

This source claims that the Blue Jays are in the process of lightening the field by removing the sand layers of the AstroTurf and replacing it entirely with rubber (or something to that effect).

FieldTurf was the previous playing surface at the Rogers Centre, but according to their website their average sports field weighs approximately 720,000 pounds; the bulk of which is sand.

Larger-sized cryogenic rubber top layers ensure that the rubber remains on top, providing a safe, forgiving surface.

With all this taken into account, it finally makes sense why you see the turf at Tropicana Field behave the way it does during Blue Jays road trips to St. Petersburg.

Whenever ground balls skipped off the turf, it looked like sand kicked up off the field. I could never figure out exactly why, but it turns out there's multiple layers of sand within the typical artificial surface. This may have been common knowledge, but it's news to me.

As detailed by Minor Leaguer at Bluebird Banter, Paul Beeston was also chatting with some season ticket holders at last week's State of the Franchise, and he informed them that a new surface (or at least a modified one) would be going in this season.

The Rogers Centre turf was completely rolled up and on the field at last Wednesday's State of the Franchise event. The Blue Jays Home Opener is also just over two months away, which doesn't seem like much time to get a new surface ready.

The turf was down the previous weekend for the 'Round the Clock Slo-Pitch Tournament. And there aren't any events planned at the Rogers Centre until mid-March, so why would they pull up the turf so far in advance?

This source claims removing the sand from the AstroTurf will actually soften the field.

If that is in fact true, a softer field would ultimately react much more like real grass compared to its predecessor.
link (http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2014/02/are-blue-jays-getting-new-turf-this.html)

BRabbiT
02-08-2014, 04:31 PM
http://cdn.baseballamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/hansel-rodriguez-2013-bm-300x211.jpg

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlegSAiC02I)

Jays Sign Dominican Pitcher Hansel Rodriguez

After trading for additional international bonus pool space from the Angels in December, the Blue Jays have used the extra room to sign Dominican righthander Hansel Rodriguez for $330,000.

Rodriguez, 16, is around 6-foot-2, 180 pounds with a fastball that sits in the low-90s and touches 95. Rodriguez also throws an above-average curveball, which had made him one of the top arms available in Latin America after going unsigned last year on July 2. Rodriguez turns 17 on Feb. 27.

[QUOTE]
In January 2013, Rodriguez pitched in MLB

Jballer
02-10-2014, 01:57 PM

The big thing is dump all the middle relief and hangers on the rotation for a true number 1 pitcher if you can. Trade 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 and promote a bunch of rookies and D league guys to be your middle relief as long as you can possible land a Zack Grenkie .....

Another International signing with "promise."

I would suspect Anthopolis is just stock piling "potential arms" for a great arm as this team has about a 3 year window to go deep in the playoffs... win a pennent.

Dont know who that is... ...

Just as long as it is a solid American League pitcher or a guy with extensive time in the AL so we dont have grandious illusions that a sub 450 era will translate to an AL east sub 450 era... and 15 winning games translates to 15 winning games... which is what we need for the post season.

Maybe Tigers have an arm they are willing to loose...?

Dr.Funk
02-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Another International signing with "promise."

I would suspect Anthopolis is just stock piling "potential arms" for a great arm as this team has about a 3 year window to go deep in the playoffs... win a pennent.

Dont know who that is... ...

Just as long as it is a solid American League pitcher or a guy with extensive time in the AL so we dont have grandious illusions that a sub 450 era will translate to an AL east sub 450 era... and 15 winning games translates to 15 winning games... which is what we need for the post season.

Maybe Tigers have an arm they are willing to loose...?

They did. They already traded Doug Fister to the nationals.

Qwyjibo
02-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Still hoping for a Ubaldo Jimenez signing. Looks like having draft pick compensation tied to him has killed his market. Good news for the Jays given that they'd only lose a 2nd rounder. While I don't think he's anything great, I'd feel much comfortable with him in the rotation and pushing someone like Rogers or Redmond out of it. Dickey, Morrow, Jimenez, Buehrle, Happ would be tolerable.

DJMason
02-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Call me greedy, but I'm still holding out hope we grab Drew after signing Jiminez since it'd only cost us a 3rd rounder for him at that point. I want no part of Santana at the HomerDome.

bluerap
02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Call me greedy, but I'm still holding out hope we grab Drew after signing Jiminez since it'd only cost us a 3rd rounder for him at that point. I want no part of Santana at the HomerDome.

Is it greedy to hope that the jays don't finish last in the division, cause that is where they are headed atm.

DJMason
02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Is it greedy to hope that the jays don't finish last in the division, cause that is where they are headed atm.

I dunno, it won't take much regression to the mean for us to surpass the Orioles and I think we have a legit shot of surpassing the Yankees. Hard to imagine finishing much higher than 3rd however as our roster is currently comprised.

Sign Ubaldo and Drew and giddy up already.

Qwyjibo
02-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Rumours of Jimenez to Baltimore. Just great. If this goes through, then my hope for the upcoming season is very low.

RaininThrees
02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Rumours of Jimenez to Baltimore. Just great. If this goes through, then my hope for the upcoming season is very low.

Time to limbo, man.

bluerap
02-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Rosenthal put out an article today speculating why the jays have been so quiet this off-season where he quoted scott boras. Basically said that ownership will not approve any more spending until the current team shows it can play.

I don't blame them, but I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. The fan base is going to be weak without any of the hype machine. If they sign Santana they will look a lot better...

Jballer
02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Rosenthal put out an article today speculating why the jays have been so quiet this off-season where he quoted scott boras. Basically said that ownership will not approve any more spending until the current team shows it can play.

I don't blame them, but I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. The fan base is going to be weak without any of the hype machine. If they sign Santana they will look a lot better...

So bottom line is I wont see the Jays get David Price and Evan Longoria from Tampa Bay ???

Did Zito sign somewhere ? Was he a FA ?

brwnman
02-24-2014, 08:08 PM
I would very much like Nick Franklin, just not sure the package needed to acquire him. I'd do Nolin + reliever (Santos?). But I'm sure Seattle would ask for someone like Stroman or even a veteran pitcher (something we can't spare). I see Jays having a fire sale midway point of the season, so this deal may be available at that point if they haven't already traded him.

bluerap
02-25-2014, 11:00 AM
The fact that they won't make the next move makes last off season look that much worse. If they weren't prepared to up the anty they should have stayed the course with building and developing through the farm system.