PDA

View Full Version : Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Inferno
06-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Who would you take in this years draft? Who'll end up being the better player?

McLemore's combine interview (he really does seem nervous):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qddd80N1i3U

Oladipo's combine interview (seems confident):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Oc5_rGNTo

PejaNowitzki
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Oladipo. Dat dere defense plus improving scoring ability. I don't see him being a huge star but a high quality contributor on a winning team with his ability to defend multiple positions, he's also improved as a shooter.

dbk123
06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Mclemore for his shooting alone.

RedBlackAttack
06-23-2013, 08:53 PM
One thing people don't often talk about, but it could have a real impact...

Apparently, McLemore is absolutely horrible at interviewing. That's the word on the street. Look, there are plenty of very good/great athletes who aren't exactly rocket scientists, but when teams are choosing between two guys they have rated very closely, the little things can matter.

From what I'm hearing, he's historically bad at... talking to people.

Anyway, food for thought.

dbk123
06-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Apparently, McLemore is absolutely horrible at interviewing. That's the word on the street. Look, there are plenty of very good/great athletes who aren't exactly rocket scientists, but when teams are choosing between two guys they have rated very closely, the little things can matter.

right because derrick rose and mkg dont have the same problem..... what does talking with media have to do with on court play?

RedBlackAttack
06-23-2013, 09:09 PM
right because derrick rose and mkg dont have the same problem..... what does talking with media have to do with on court play?
Not with the media. That's what is leaking about his visits with teams. His workouts have also not been really good, from what I've heard.

Like I said, it isn't something that will stop a great player from going high in the draft, but when two guys are considered neck-and-neck and teams start nit-picking to separate them, it may come into play.

Maybe it won't, but I'm just throwing it out there.

dbk123
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Not with the media. That's what is leaking about his visits with teams. His workouts have also not been really good, from what I've heard.

Like I said, it isn't something that will stop a great player from going high in the draft, but when two guys are considered neck-and-neck and teams start nit-picking to separate them, it may come into play.

Maybe it won't, but I'm just throwing it out there.
oh my bad i thought you meant interviewing with media, not with teams.

Xiao Yao You
06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Oladipo. He at least got in shape for the pre-draft workouts.

Inferno
06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Oladipo. He at least got in shape for the pre-draft workouts.

Yeah, I heard McLemore had some bad workouts with teams.

KeyNote
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Oladipo

qrich
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Archie Goodwin

Inferno
06-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Oladipo
:coleman:

Kurosawa0
06-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Yeah, I heard that too and didn't pay much attention to it, but then I watched Grantland's interview with him... Wow! Honestly felt like they were talking to a 12 year old.

RedBlackAttack
06-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I heard that too and didn't pay much attention to it, but then I watched Grantland's interview with him... Wow! Honestly felt like they were talking to a 12 year old.
When things like that start leaking from multiple meetings with teams, you know it must be bad. It also doesn't help that he's allegedly been almost as bad on the basketball court in his team workouts.

Combine the interviews with teams leaking stuff like this?

[QUOTE]More than one expert has said McLemore

TexasBloodMoney
06-24-2013, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=RedBlackAttack]

Kurosawa0
06-24-2013, 12:38 AM
When things like that start leaking from multiple meetings with teams, you know it must be bad. It also doesn't help that he's allegedly been almost as bad on the basketball court in his team workouts.

Combine the interviews with teams leaking stuff like this?

Not good.

Everyone wants to compare him to Ray Allen, but Ray is Ray because he's a complete freak with his work ethic.

In a way, McLemore reminds me a little bit of Michael Beasley. You watched him and were like "this guy will be chasing scoring titles for the next 10 years!", so you kinda ignored all the red flags about his personality.

Inferno
06-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Everyone wants to compare him to Ray Allen, but Ray is Ray because he's a complete freak with his work ethic.

In a way, McLemore reminds me a little bit of Michael Beasley. You watched him and were like "this guy will be chasing scoring titles for the next 10 years!", so you kinda ignored all the red flags about his personality.

I'd say Beasley and Ben are different. Beasley clearly had some issues himself whereas with Ben the problem seems to be stemming from issues within his camp (from what I'm getting from the articles).

Kurosawa0
06-24-2013, 12:46 AM
I'd say Beasley and Ben are different. Beasley clearly had some issues himself whereas with Ben the problem seems to be stemming from issues within his camp (from what I'm getting from the articles).

I think what I was getting was that both seem like children. McLemore just doesn't seem to be remotely prepared for the work and life of not only being an NBA player, but one with expectations.

RedBlackAttack
06-24-2013, 12:54 AM
He does seem like he hasn't matured when I hear him speak. I'm also not sure he knows what he's in for on the next level when he's playing against full grown men.

And, while he just finished his freshman year, Ben isn't quite as young as most people think. He's older than many of the best players in last year's draft, for example Anthony Davis, MKG and Brad Beal.

There are things about his game that bother me too, to be honest. He has very suspect handles and virtually no playmaking skills. He will need to play on a team with a good point guard who can handle the ball and set him up in the right spots.

In this era of versatile wings -- most of the elite 2s can spend significant time at point -- he just doesn't have that in his game.

andremiller07
06-24-2013, 01:00 AM
I really hope all this is true about Mclemore, I would love him as the Kings SG, moving Evans to either PG or SF. If he drops that will be sweet.

Inferno
06-24-2013, 01:04 AM
McLemore's combine interview (he really does seem nervous):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qddd80N1i3U

Oladipo's combine interview (seems confident):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Oc5_rGNTo

Inferno
06-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Wow. Victor's interview really shows his amazing work ethic. He's talking about how he just wakes up every morning with a drive to get better. His gym membership card got worn out and stopped working from his swiping it so much :oldlol:

Nash
06-24-2013, 01:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjd-SXw-we8

RIP CITY
06-24-2013, 01:39 AM
I hope McLemore tanked his interviews and workouts enough to slip to #8, Pistons need a wing that can score desperately. McLemore definitely has more potential than Oladipo IMO but it seems Oladipo has a much better work ethic, at least at this point. I still prefer McLemore but I wouldn't be surprised if Oladipo ended up being the better player.

PejaNowitzki
06-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Wow. Victor's interview really shows his amazing work ethic. He's talking about how he just wakes up every morning with a drive to get better. His gym membership card got worn out and stopped working from his swiping it so much :oldlol:

He kept talking about going to the gym at midnight after watching a basketball game because he was so pumped up and simply couldn't get to sleep without putting a workout in. Dude sounds dedicated as hell.

Inferno
06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
He kept talking about going to the gym at midnight after watching a basketball game because he was so pumped up and simply couldn't get to sleep without putting a workout in. Dude sounds dedicated as hell.

Yeah, definitely. He was just talking about how he wants to be the best he can be. McLemore on the other hand just seemed confused, and apparently he's been coming to workouts out of shape.

brandonislegend
06-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Adrian Peterson was the worst interviewer of all time, the Vikings are retarded for drafting him.

Inferno
06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Adrian Peterson was the worst interviewer of all time, the Vikings are retarded for drafting him.

I could care less about the interviews honestly

It's Ben's camp that worries me. Apparently they're not really helping him and conflicts within his camp are forcing him to stay out of the gym.

FreezingTsmoove
06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Well of course McLemore has a tremendous work ethic he's going to be a lock for a top 3 pick. Dont listen to these ISHtards who question one's heart and work ethic. Bitch you wasn't with me shootin in the gym...

RedBlackAttack
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Did Adrian Peterson also have subpar workouts?

No, I remember it well. The guy ran a 4.40 40-yard dash at the combine and was supposedly faster at his pro day. He had some of the best workouts in recent memory for a RB.

He did score just a 16 on his wonderlic, which isn't great. A score of 20 is considered average intelligence. If a score is below 10, the makers of the test claim the person is functionally illiterate.

Anyway, what does AP have to do with it? He was clearly a once in a generation type RB talent. Everyone could see that. There was no one even close to him for that position in that (very good) draft.

McLemore and Oladipo are widely considered neck-and-neck for the SG position in this draft. Things seem to be shifting toward Oladipo, in fact, not because of interviews, but because McLemore has showed up to workouts out of shape and is being outplayed by guys not considered elite prospects in this draft.

That doesn't concern you?

Fudge
06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Well of course McLemore has a tremendous work ethic he's going to be a lock for a top 3 pick. Dont listen to these ISHtards who question one's heart and work ethic. Bitch you wasn't with me shootin in the gym...
Why you gotta quote Drake tho? :facepalm

Inferno
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Oladipo's work ethic can be seen from his interviews. Ben's showing up to workouts out of shape and underperforming.

DwadeOverLebron
06-24-2013, 06:54 PM
He said aletitsiscm.. I don't want a player like that.

Inferno
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
He said aletitsiscm.. I don't want a player like that.

Nothing wrong pointing out his strengths :confusedshrug:

FreezingTsmoove
06-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Oladipo's work ethic can be seen from his interviews. Ben's showing up to workouts out of shape and underperforming.
Lebron the greatest prospect of all time wasn't exactly lighting up summer league among the other elite talents. Let's just wait for the season to start resident ish draft scout

tikay0
06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjd-SXw-we8

I think I know where you're going with this. :oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFZ_iNgRDY

CanYouDigIt
06-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Victor's defense, physical abilities, and improving offense are great traits for a young guard. Orlando better draft him #2. Ben needs a better work ethic to impress me.

Inferno
06-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Just realized that Oladipo weights 25 pounds more than McLemore and yet has the same max vertical (42 in.) and better lane agility and a faster 3/4 court sprint :applause:

veilside23
06-25-2013, 08:19 AM
mclemore's upside is higher imo

i dont know if oladipo will get BETTER...

its good for the charlotte if mclemore is still at the 4 i think having him kemba and MKG will be the core.

Inferno
06-25-2013, 01:28 PM
mclemore's upside is higher imo

i dont know if oladipo will get BETTER...

McLemore does have a bigger upside, but as multiple sources have said, "Oladipo's work ethic won't let him fail." From what he's been telling reporters, he's been going to the gym daily just to improve his game, and that's showing in his improved shot (went from 20% on 3's to 44%). Both will probably get better and both have a chance of reaching their ceilings, but Oladipo's more certain to do so IMO.

wang4three
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Ben McLemore's interviewing skills reminds me of Kevin Durant when he first came into the league. People were saying Durant was awkward and inelegant when compared to a guy like Oden who was gregarious and sociable.

SilkkTheShocker
06-25-2013, 01:43 PM
McClemore is soooooo overrated its not even funny. He doesn't get to the line because he can't dribble for shit, he doesn't show up in big games, and he is a little undersized. the Ray Allen comparisons this guy gets at times are an absolute joke. This guy is the next Jason Richardson at best. You take Oladipo 12 times out of 10. If Cleveland didn't already have Waiters, they would probably take him as he is a great compliment to Irving.

Inferno
06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
McClemore is soooooo overrated its not even funny. He doesn't get to the line because he can't dribble for shit, he doesn't show up in big games, and he is a little undersized. the Ray Allen comparisons this guy gets at times are an absolute joke. This guy is the next Jason Richardson at best. You take Oladipo 12 times out of 10. If Cleveland didn't already have Waiters, they would probably take him as he is a great compliment to Irving.

Oladipo is an inch shorter than McLemore. But he has a larger wingspan and is 25 pounds heavier so I guess he makes up for the height difference.

SilkkTheShocker
06-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Oladipo is an inch shorter than McLemore. But he has a larger wingspan and is 25 pounds heavier so I guess he makes up for the height difference.

Im not saying Oladipo is a perfect prospect. Like you say, he is a tad shorter than what you want from a typical 2. But he is a much better defender.

Inferno
06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Im not saying Oladipo is a perfect prospect. Like you say, he is a tad shorter than what you want from a typical 2. But he is a much better defender.

Definitely. 2.2 steals per game in 28 minutes is pretty damn good. Especially compared to McLemore's 1 per 32.

fatboy11
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm not too concerned with McLemore bombing workouts and interviews. I'm not concerned with him being out-of-shape. Don't get me wrong, you want a guy to be on top of things, but some of these guys don't get it at first. We all saw McLemore in college. He's a freak. He'll be in shape for the season. He obviously does not have a good inner circle and thought he'd just get drafted based on what he did in college. Might cost him a few million dollars, but he's a stud. I think he's the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft along with Bennett and Noel. Might throw Porter in there, too.

I'd take McLemore over Oladipo.

The JKidd Kid
06-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I would take Oladipo 10 times out of 10. The guy is a better athlete than McLemore in literally every category. Also Oladipos wingspan is much more important than McLemore's height. I care more about how long your arms are than how long your neck is. Oladipo has also showed a great work ethic and hustle. He also showed that he has the ability and patience to develop a subpar part of his game, which he showed this year with his shooting.

fatboy11
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I would take Oladipo 10 times out of 10. The guy is a better athlete than McLemore in literally every category. Also Oladipos wingspan is much more important than McLemore's height. I care more about how long your arms are than how long your neck is. Oladipo has also showed a great work ethic and hustle. He also showed that he has the ability and patience to develop a subpar part of his game, which he showed this year with his shooting.

Ben McLemore
Height (in shoes): 6'5 (6'4 3/4 rounded)
Wingspan: 6'8 (6'7 3/4 rounded)
Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2
No Step Vert: 32.5''
Max Vert: 42''
Lane Agility: 11.87
3/4 Court Spirit: 3.27

Victor Oladipo
Height (in shoes): 6'4 (6'4 1/4 rounded)
Wingspan: 6'9 (6'9 1/4 rounded)
Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2
No Step Vert: 33''
Max Vert: 42''
Lane Agility: 10.69
3/4 Court Spirit: 3.25

Eh. I don't think there's a great difference athletically, especially when you consider McLemore has been getting railed for not being prepared for this draft. You could argue he wasn't prepared for that combine.

FreezingTsmoove
06-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Victor's defense, physical abilities, and improving offense are great traits for a young guard. Orlando better draft him #2. Ben needs a better work ethic to impress me.
Can I get a link that shows Bens bad work ethic or those who question it ?

Inferno
06-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Can I get a link that shows Bens bad work ethic or those who question it ?

Nothing to show he has a bad one, but nothing to she has a good one like Victor. I personally think him coming to workouts out of shape is more because of his camp and inner circle than him having a bad work ethic. :confusedshrug:

BoutPractice
06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
If we drafted people based on how articulate they look in an interview setting, Derrick Rose would have been a second round pick...

FreezingTsmoove
06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Nothing to show he has a bad one, but nothing to she has a good one like Victor. I personally think him coming to workouts out of shape is more because of his camp and inner circle than him having a bad work ethic. :confusedshrug:
Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.

fatboy11
06-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.

He looked phenomenal this season. This is just his people not having him ready and him not understanding what's expected of him. He'll learn. He's shown what he can do at the highest level of college basketball and he looked great. He didn't take the bull by the horns like Self wanted him to, but his talent was evident. People are making too much of McLemore not speaking well or articulating.

RedBlackAttack
06-25-2013, 04:41 PM
That is really what concerns me most about McLemore, to be perfectly honest. It's not his horrible interviewing skills or being out of shape or being outplayed by marginal prospects in workouts.

In today's NBA, guards need to be versatile. Think of all the best 2s in the NBA over the last decade... Be it Wade, Kobe, Harden, whoever...

Those guys are all capable of initiating the offense if they have to and even splitting time at the 1 if need be. McLemore's suspect handles and lack of playmaking skills make him very limited in how he can attack a defense. If he's going to be Rip Hamilton, fine. He's going to need to absolutely perfect playing off the ball to do so, though, and that is a tough thing to count on. Hamilton had that down to a science. If he's going to be the next Ray Allen, fine... But, he's going to have to become arguably the greatest shooter of all-time. He can shoot, but can he shoot like that?

It's a stretch. McLemore looks like a young Jason Richardson to me.

I'd be much more comfortable with Oladipo, who probably would be capable of running an offense if he had to. Some have even speculated he is a good enough defender to play the 3. I'm not sure about that at his size, but it does show that he's a versatile player. That's a very important trait in today's league.

veilside23
06-25-2013, 05:00 PM
ben mclemore is not jason richardson part 2 .. even if he is so does that mean that oladipo ceiling is higher than jrich ? if that is the case cavs should take him. Draft work outs is moot specially if you know that this kid can do better...

Beasley had a monster draft work outs shooting and dunking over people ...
T rob had impressive work outs and a hell of a work ethic where is he now?

There is a reason that mclemore was touted as the best coming out of this draft by alot of scouts... if they thought oladipo was better then his name would have appeapred but i guess not .

Inferno
06-25-2013, 06:21 PM

I'm not denying Ben's work ethic. All I said is Victor's seems to be larger just from their interviews, and I can be completely wrong for all we know.

RedBlackAttack
06-25-2013, 07:41 PM
ben mclemore is not jason richardson part 2 .. even if he is so does that mean that oladipo ceiling is higher than jrich ? if that is the case cavs should take him. Draft work outs is moot specially if you know that this kid can do better...

Beasley had a monster draft work outs shooting and dunking over people ...
T rob had impressive work outs and a hell of a work ethic where is he now?

There is a reason that mclemore was touted as the best coming out of this draft by alot of scouts... if they thought oladipo was better then his name would have appeapred but i guess not .
God knows scouts are never wrong. You gave a perfect example in Thomas Robinson. Same with Beasley. Those guys weren't considered elite prospects just because of workouts. Both guys were consdiered elite prospects all season long, just like McLemore.

I really don't see your point. Are you saying the guy who rises up draft boards the further we get along into this process are never as good as the guys considered the best prospects during the season?

Damon Lillard and Dion Waiters were both guys who skyrocketed up draft boards after the season last year. One guy won the ROY and the other was First Team All-Rookie. They were the two highest scoring rookies in the league, too.

The same thing happened with Russell Westbrook and countless others. I guess OKC should have just taken Jerryd Bayless because he was ranked higher during the season, right?

This process is in place for a reason.

veilside23
06-25-2013, 08:29 PM
God knows scouts are never wrong. You gave a perfect example in Thomas Robinson. Same with Beasley. Those guys weren't considered elite prospects just because of workouts. Both guys were consdiered elite prospects all season long, just like McLemore.

I really don't see your point. Are you saying the guy who rises up draft boards the further we get along into this process are never as good as the guys considered the best prospects during the season?

Damon Lillard and Dion Waiters were both guys who skyrocketed up draft boards after the season last year. One guy won the ROY and the other was First Team All-Rookie. They were the two highest scoring rookies in the league, too.

The same thing happened with Russell Westbrook and countless others. I guess OKC should have just taken Jerryd Bayless because he was ranked higher during the season, right?

This process is in place for a reason.

robinson is like oladipo that has stayed in college for longer than mclemore. so definitely their game is more polished thats my point i dont know if oladipo's game will have a better impact that mclemore at the pro's. defensively yes. but what is the guy's ceiling ?

mclemore on the other hand is compared to a ray allen or jrich.
not saying he will reach it but the guy has a smooth stroke already.

WWRWestbrookDo?
06-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Oladipo will be the better pro.

I wouldn't pick either though. Just take Anthony Bennett

Inferno
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Bump. Draft day. Who goes first, and to who?

TheReturn
06-27-2013, 05:49 PM
In response to earlier posters commenting negative things about McLemore; that info may very well be coming from teams in the 4-8 range hoping he'll drop down a little for them to scoop up.

Inferno
06-27-2013, 06:26 PM
In response to earlier posters commenting negative things about McLemore; that info may very well be coming from teams in the 4-8 range hoping he'll drop down a little for them to scoop up.

Hmm, that can be true. Ben has said that he doesn't know why he's been falling down lately.

Take Your Lumps
06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I think Orlando made the right choice. Oladipo has too many intagibles to pass up on in this draft.

SilkkTheShocker
06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Hmm, that can be true. Ben has said that he doesn't know why he's been falling down lately.

He supposedly disappointed in a lot of workouts. Phoenix didn't like how passive he was. For an athletic guy like McClemore, he has a sub-par motor.