PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no women coaches in the NBA?

OldSkoolball#52
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm curious why there are no female coaches in the NBA. Is it just coincidence? Or is it systematic?

The NBA is a league more than any other that prides itself on being progressive and diverse. Also, basketball is a sport that sees a lot of female participation at the youth level (as opposed to say football or hockey) so there are plenty women who've been around the game all their lives. Pat Summit and other women have proven they know how to coach a team to success with consistency.

Do you think if women coaches started to clamor for coaching opportunities in the NBA, they would be openly rebuffed, quietly rebuffed, or accepted?

What yo thoughts?

SpecialQue
06-23-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't know.

HorryIsMyMVP
06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
They don't want to put the coach in a position to get literally raped by Kobe Bryant.

COnDEMnED
06-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Most likely a female NBA coach would have to be an ex WNBA player. As a hypothetical NBA player, would you respect some broad who probably averaged 12 points a career to tell you as a man how to play basketball? Does Earnheardt Jr. ask Danica Patrick for racing tips?

Pushxx
06-23-2013, 11:57 PM
If you thought it was hard for a male NBA coach to garner respect from his players and organization, imagine how hard it would be for a female.

HelterSkelter
06-23-2013, 11:58 PM
12 grown man full of egos listening to a woman?

can't see that.

HorryIsMyMVP
06-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Most likely a female NBA coach would have to be an ex WNBA player. As a hypothetical NBA player, would you respect some broad who probably averaged 12 points a career to tell you as a man how to play basketball? Does Earnheardt Jr. ask Danica Patrick for racing tips?
Maybe he should...

OldSkoolball#52
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
They don't want to put the coach in a position to get literally raped by Kobe Bryant.

LOL

You just put me in a position where I literally spit out my gatorade.

andremiller07
06-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Cause there is enough pussie's in the NBA already

Rockets(T-mac)
06-24-2013, 12:06 AM

can't see that.This. Majority of the players won't take her seriously, not matter how smart of a couch she is.

QuebecBaller
06-24-2013, 12:06 AM
http://d12.laserdiscs.biz/images/large/Eddie-AC-3-Dolby-Digital-LaserDisc-8292AS-N.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQSpj5xy14

Leftimage
06-24-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm curious why there are no female coaches in the NBA. Is it just coincidence? Or is it systematic?

The NBA is a league more than any other that prides itself on being progressive and diverse. Also, basketball is a sport that sees a lot of female participation at the youth level (as opposed to say football or hockey) so there are plenty women who've been around the game all their lives. Pat Summit and other women have proven they know how to coach a team to success with consistency.

Do you think if women coaches started to clamour for coaching opportunities in the NBA, they would be openly rebuffed, quietly rebuffed, or accepted?

What yo thoughts?

You know there's no way of properly addressing this topic without sounding like a male chauvinist... if you know what I mean

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17817039/images/1328464145916.gif

OldSkoolball#52
06-24-2013, 12:10 AM
This. Majority of the players won't take her seriously, not matter how smart of a couch she is.

Ok, but is that fair to publicly state as a reason?

If a player says he doesn't respect a gay player because he's likely to be soft, queer, girly, etc. he'll get crushed in the media.

If a player says he doesn't want a black coach because historically they have won very few championships, he'd have a torch-bearing mob at his doorstep

So my point is, ANY reason you give as to why women don't/can't/shouldn't coach in the NBA violates standards of presumption that are tightly enforced when it comes to protecting other minorities.

I'm sure there are plenty of capable women who covet the chance to coach in the NBA.

How can you sit there and say they're not allowed? That is, if you think excluding any man from the NBA for race/religion/sexuality is wrong?

OldSkoolball#52
06-24-2013, 12:13 AM
You know there's no way of properly addressing this topic without sounding like a male chauvinist... [/IMG]

I know, that's why I brought it up.

:hammertime:

Players are fined $100,000 (ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!) for saying the word ******.

But if you asked the NBA why they don't have women coaches, they would be forced to say "players don't want them".

Players can force the NBA to exclude 50% of applicants from the possibility of coaching a team... but they're not allowed to use the word f@ggot because that's offensive?

Seems hypocritical.

deja vu
06-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Why not? Can't be any worse than Spo. :roll:

inclinerator
06-24-2013, 12:14 AM
because its a basketball court not a kitchen

iamgine
06-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Because the men are more qualified...at least on paper. Which woman is qualified enough (on paper) to take the job of any of NBA's head coach?

selrahc
06-24-2013, 12:20 AM
because women are stupider than men.

OldSkoolball#52
06-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Because the men are more qualified...at least on paper. Which woman is qualified enough (on paper) to take the job of any of NBA's head coach?

I don't know, any woman who has had a lot of success in college. I don't know their names aside from Pat Summit (who is now retired) but I'm sure there are some.

I mean I understand why no woman could play in the NBA. It would by physiologically impossible for any woman (to date) to compete at that level against men.

But X's and O's don't require muscle and speed and height. Why couldn't a woman coach?

Myth
06-24-2013, 12:30 AM

can't see that.

This. The OP mentioned that the NBA likes to pride themselves on being progressive, but I think lots of the players are playing lip service. They are likely to believe in theory of equality, but when they are put directly in a situation, they will view themselves as superior.

andremiller07
06-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Delonte West would approve of women NBA coaches, I'm sure he will be getting plenty of time for his good work off the court :pimp:

COnDEMnED
06-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Ok, but is that fair to publicly state as a reason?

If a player says he doesn't respect a gay player because he's likely to be soft, queer, girly, etc. he'll get crushed in the media.

If a player says he doesn't want a black coach because historically they have won very few championships, he'd have a torch-bearing mob at his doorstep

So my point is, ANY reason you give as to why women don't/can't/shouldn't coach in the NBA violates standards of presumption that are tightly enforced when it comes to protecting other minorities.

I'm sure there are plenty of capable women who covet the chance to coach in the NBA.

How can you sit there and say they're not allowed? That is, if you think excluding any man from the NBA for race/religion/sexuality is wrong?
Could you imagine Shaq in his prime taking orders or being benched from Sheryl Swoopes? Jordan, Barkley, Kobe, Lebron, or Bird having plays written up by Cynthia Cooper? Could you trust Magic or Wilt not to stick their dick in her? Nobody is saying women shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NBA, I think im just trying to say that it would be extremely difficult for the said woman to be successful and keep her job, even in this day and age. :confusedshrug:

Some people might look at that point of view and say, wow look at that sexist arsehole, and maybe they would be right? Maybe im in the wrong. For those that would think that way, I would ask the following questions.

If you were a man in the military, lets say Marines, you are on the front line, the enemy is charging fast. You jump into a 2 man foxhole and return fire. You look to the foxhole on the left, then to the right. Both foxholes have 2 male marines. You look besides you in your foxhole and you see a female. Is it sexist if you have a mini panic attack in your head? "Is she trained as good as the men in the other foxholes?", you think to yourself. "Can she carry me to safety if I get shot or both my legs get blown off?".

You live in a 20 story apartment building in New York. The bottom story catches fire, firefighters arrive and start carrying unconscious people out of the top story windows. Half of the firefighters are women, the other half men. As a grown man, 6 foot 215 pounds, would you prefer a man or woman firefighter carry you to safety down a 50 foot ladder? To be politically correct, would you prefer the male fire fighters carry men to safety, while the female firefighters carry only the women to safety? In the middle of a potential life threatening event, is it really time to be politically correct or would you just prefer all the firefighters are men? What if one of the unconscious females is a heavy woman?

Are those scenarios just as sexist as saying a women wouldn't be successful as a coach in the NBA? Is there a grey area? If not, I'd rather be a sexist and alive then politically correct and dead, right?

AngelEyes
06-24-2013, 01:03 AM
I know, that's why I brought it up.

:hammertime:

Players are fined $100,000 (ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!) for saying the word ******.

But if you asked the NBA why they don't have women coaches, they would be forced to say "players don't want them".

Players can force the NBA to exclude 50% of applicants from the possibility of coaching a team... but they're not allowed to use the word f@ggot because that's offensive?

Seems hypocritical.

Women do not represent 50% of coaching applicants in basketball when the amount of men involved or interested in basketball absolutely dwarfs the number of women.

buddha
06-24-2013, 01:04 AM
because a woman can't lead men. I still don't know why the hell women are allowed to be managers.

OldSkoolball#52
06-24-2013, 01:04 AM
C
If you were a man in the military, lets say Marines, you are on the front line, the enemy is charging fast. You jump into a 2 man foxhole and return fire. You look to the foxhole on the left, then to the right. Both foxholes have 2 male marines. You look besides you in your foxhole and you see a female. Is it sexist if you have a mini panic attack in your head? "Is she trained as good as the men in the other foxholes?", you think to yourself. "Can she carry me to safety if I get shot or both my legs get blown off?".

You live in a 20 story apartment building in New York. The bottom story catches fire, firefighters arrive and start carrying unconscious people out of the top story windows. Half of the firefighters are women, the other half men. As a grown man, 6 foot 215 pounds, would you prefer a man or woman firefighter carry you to safety down a 50 foot ladder? To be politically correct, would you prefer the male fire fighters carry men to safety, while the female firefighters carry only the women to safety? In the middle of a potential life threatening event, is it really time to be politically correct or would you just prefer all the firefighters are men? What if one of the unconscious females is a heavy woman?

Are those scenarios just as sexist as saying a women wouldn't be successful as a coach in the NBA? Is there a grey area? If not, I'd rather be a sexist and alive then politically correct and dead, right?

Those scenarios are not congruent to women coaching in the NBA, because because in each of them physical strength plays a role to some degree.

Coaching doesn't require any sort of strength. Lawrence Frank has coached in this league.

It's strictly about decision making, judgment, planning, teaching, adjusting, etc.

Is there an ingrained belief that women are simply not as qualified to do that as men?

OldSkoolball#52
06-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Women do not represent 50% of coaching applicants in basketball when the amount of men involved or interested in basketball absolutely dwarfs the number of women.

Ok, "potential applicants, in theory"

Bottom line is that unofficially, all women are excluded from the opportunity to coach in the National Basketball Association.

sportjames23
06-24-2013, 01:19 AM
If you thought it was hard for a male NBA coach to garner respect from his players and organization, imagine how hard it would be for a female.

Essentially this. Especially if the male either never played in the NBA or didn't have a history of success elsewhere.

Now, apply that to a woman coach.

COnDEMnED
06-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Those scenarios are not congruent to women coaching in the NBA, because because in each of them physical strength plays a role to some degree.

Coaching doesn't require any sort of strength. Lawrence Frank has coached in this league.

It's strictly about decision making, judgment, planning, teaching, adjusting, etc.

Is there an ingrained belief that women are simply not as qualified to do that as men?
I understand you're trying to keep it strictly about female NBA coaches, but I thought bringing up female firefighters and female Marines to widen the debate was still relevant to the original topic because although both of those careers require strength, there are women firefighters and there are women Marines. More to the point, in 2015, female Marines will be allowed to join the infantry along their male counterparts. Is it not a more important topic to discuss if females should be allowed to fight along males, being as we both already agree physical strength plays a role?

Aren't both of these topics of the same DNA at the root? Womens rights vs Political Correctness?

We already have female firefighters.

iamgine
06-24-2013, 01:25 AM
I don't know, any woman who has had a lot of success in college. I don't know their names aside from Pat Summit (who is now retired) but I'm sure there are some.

I mean I understand why no woman could play in the NBA. It would by physiologically impossible for any woman (to date) to compete at that level against men.

But X's and O's don't require muscle and speed and height. Why couldn't a woman coach?
They could, but is any of them more qualified than the men? Do name one that is more qualified than any of current NBA's head coach.

MavsSuperFan
06-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Because no owner has decided to hire one

DuMa
06-24-2013, 01:45 AM
because basketball is a brotherhood

buddha
06-24-2013, 01:50 AM

Because obviously there is more to coaching than the X's and O's otherwise every nerd would be a great coach.

Players barely listen to male coaches, do you think a woman can successfully command the respect/attention of males in a huddle? what about when things are going bad? What about when Rondo wants to fight you?

arifgokcen
06-24-2013, 01:51 AM

can't see that.
This

I personally hate getting orders from woman.I know i sound like a male chauvinist but its just the nature and the EGOS of nba players with a female coach will never work.

sick_brah07
06-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Because obviously there is more to coaching than the X's and O's otherwise every nerd would be a great coach.

Players barely listen to male coaches, do you think a woman can successfully command the respect/attention of males in a huddle? what about when things are going bad? What about when Rondo wants to fight you?

LOL @ fighting rondo

DCL
06-24-2013, 03:05 AM
i never even heard of women coaching high school boys' basketball.

nashwade
06-24-2013, 03:10 AM
i guess it all boils down to perceived confidence, plus experience

I've always said that hiring someone with MBA is not relevant if the guy has tons of experience managing a company. That said, the paper qualifications give employees and shareholders confidence

it's the same situation - perceived competence and confidence

Lakers Legend#32
06-24-2013, 03:13 AM
I don't think they could find a female coach who isn't a lezbo.

deja vu
06-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Soon...

http://www.meckanizmtv.net/uploads/4/6/9/8/4698147/4419237_orig.jpg

Kews1
06-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Because Men>Women

& also because

Men = Sports

Women = Cooking

tgan3
06-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Because all of them are busy cooking in the kitchen...

BoutPractice
06-24-2013, 05:52 AM
I really, really hope a female coach comes along soon and just kicks ass, preferably in a big market like New York or Los Angeles. It would be great for the league too - could create a new Linsanity moment.

In order to break the ceiling the first one would probably have to be the kind of woman who'd make Maggie Thatcher look soft. Then it would slowly be perceived as normal and they wouldn't even need reverse stereotypes to make it work.

madmax
06-24-2013, 05:54 AM
because basketball is a brotherhood

this...
and honestly, imagine if a female coach is some hot blonde with long lean legs (not realistic I know, but let's assume for the sake of it:lol ). Would any of those young guys concentrate on the game and tactics enough instead of eating her alive with their eyes?:D

Kiddlovesnets
06-24-2013, 05:56 AM
'cause its impossible for NBA caliber players to listen to a Female coach?

BoutPractice
06-24-2013, 06:07 AM
The idea that men don't listen to female leaders is preposterous. They just won't listen to the lousy ones - just like they don't listen to Vinny Del Negro.

The great female leaders take advantage of the many psychological weaknesses and insecurities men hide behind an image of virility. Deep down in every man, there's a little boy who wants to please his mother, doesn't want to get punished by the teacher, etc.

Men rely on women all the time to project a good image of themselves. A woman can absolutely KILL a man's self-confidence by questioning his manhood (this reminds me of the Madonna incident with MJ/Pippen). Those tricks would work wonders for a female coach in the league. Can you imagine a woman coach using sexists stereotypes to her own advantage by calling, say, Blake Griffin a bitch? The damage it would do to him?

sundizz
06-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Cuz Sprewell is still out there somewhere

AirFederer
04-27-2014, 11:28 AM
They want the pipe too much to focus on the game

ImKobe
04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Because it would lead to an orgy in the locker room after the game.

Brokenbeat
04-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Because it would lead to an orgy in the locker room after the game.

Spit Roasts and A-Frames :eek:

dude77
04-27-2014, 12:01 PM
why not ? they already allow women to boss men around in other fields .. I'm sure players would 'fall in line' just fine like the emasculated fggts that modern men have become

Djsonny
04-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Ok, "potential applicants, in theory"

Bottom line is that unofficially, all women are excluded from the opportunity to coach in the National Basketball Association.

nobody is saying they cant apply, they just dont do it. any educated female will understand a team is about chemistry. if they applied and did get the job, not all players would trust her. look at the responses here and are egos are nowhere near kids making millions. look at sports around the world, not saying there arent any but its the same in all sports. cant imagine nfl with a female coach haha

GetBuckets
04-27-2014, 12:32 PM

Jason Kidd had never coached before taking the job at Brooklyn. Sure he was a NBA player, but I bet some women coaches know just as much, if not more than him about teaching and leading a team.

Then what about Brad Stevens? Surely there are Women coaches that look a helluva lot better on paper than he does. Yet he was offered a coaching job at Boston who finished with a 25-57 season. Sure he did not have alot to work with, but still thats no excuse it seems these days.

MavsSuperFan
04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
this...
and honestly, imagine if a female coach is some hot blonde with long lean legs (not realistic I know, but let's assume for the sake of it:lol ). Would any of those young guys concentrate on the game and tactics enough instead of eating her alive with their eyes?:D
lol
More likely it will be an old lady that looks like a lesbian, you know the type that plays basketball

Akrazotile
05-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Seems like some bigotry to me, yall

The Iron Sheik
05-29-2014, 11:41 AM
because there aren't any female assistant coaches.

kamil
05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Why are there no women coaches in the NBA?

Same reasons as there are barely any women in computer science/engineering.

gts
05-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Maybe because no woman has ever applied for the job

Akrazotile
05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe because no woman has ever applied for the job

The NBA is CONSTANTLY reaching out to minorities to increase its diversity, it doesnt it seem odd to you that they dont seem to be encouraging female candidates from college and the wnba to apply?

ForeverHeat
05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Certain women can definitely do the job, but she would have no authority.

gts
05-29-2014, 12:06 PM
The NBA is CONSTANTLY reaching out to minorities to increase its diversity, it doesnt it seem odd to you that they dont seem to be encouraging female candidates from college and the wnba to apply?

how many women are coaching in the mens college ranks?

Patino had that woman back in the 90's as an assistant but since then I don't think there's been one woman in mens college hoops..

You have to have a well to draw from

robert de niro
05-29-2014, 12:06 PM

when people say a coach should carry the team they don't mean it literally :biggums:

oarabbus
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Don't act like there aren't alpha bitches out there. Cleopatra, Catherine the Great, these are women who lead nations and warriors, coaching a basketball team and commanding the players' respect would be a fcuking joke to them.

Germany is one of the most hypermasculine societies out there - BMW actually had to do a recall in Germany about their GPS, since German men won't take instructions from a woman, they actually replaced the units with a male voice. Today we see Angela Merkel leading one of the most masculine countries in the world.

Have you seen the documentary Cocaine Cowboys? You don't think Griselda Blanco (who taught Escobar everything) of the Medell

AlphaWolf24
05-29-2014, 02:03 PM
There will be one someday......and I'm sure she will do great.

Imagine if this woman was teaching you to play defense....I'm sure you would want to listen.

If you didn't she would rip yo head off and sh!t down yo throat.

http://www.fight24.pl/wp-content/gabuun.jpg

JUDGE WITNESS
05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
as if a woman is going to demand attention from 220+ lb giants

GimmeThat
05-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Because Women basketball is different than Men basketball.

And most women have probably been wanting to make the switch from having a career in WNBA to NBA

Instead of maybe directly climbing up the ladder of the NBA.

Coaches doesn't nessecarily need to have a playing career to excel under the modern NBA format. There are tunnels/ladders such as being a video analyst (Spo) or even directly working under another coach.

But lets also put this into the consideration. Life on the road as well as the stress it comes from being in the NBA is also quite different than the WNBA.

If there are more working moms, who are completely fine with being away from their kids and let the husband do most of the nurturing.

I don't see how it won't happen if there were enough population of females who actually dedicated their career towards becoming an NBA head coach.

Akrazotile
05-29-2014, 02:19 PM
as if a woman is going to demand attention from 220+ lb giants

Wtf kind of tolerance is this bro??

This is 2014. Everyone is identical and equal, and we need to have tolerance.

Get over yourself.

JUDGE WITNESS
05-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Wtf kind of tolerance is this bro??

This is 2014. Everyone is identical and equal, and we need to have tolerance.

Get over yourself.
stfu everybody is not identical i do not look like ur ugly ass

kamil
05-29-2014, 02:24 PM

You're an idiot.

ralph_i_el
05-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Easy Question: It's a mens locker room.

Akrazotile
05-29-2014, 02:43 PM

Yes you do bro. You look exactly like my ass.

hawksdogsbraves
05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Guys like Spo, Vogel, and Brooks are huge bitches already, so we're not too far off.

kennethgriffin
05-29-2014, 03:07 PM
you know why girls wear makeup and perfume?

because theyre ugly and they smell

shortsoptional
05-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Nancy Lieberman was pretty close

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4623545

TOUCH MY BODY
05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Women belong in the kitchen cooking or cleaning the house.

JohnMax
05-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Allen Iverson and Latrell Sprewell

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2003/01/11/sportsSIXERSknicks_t440.jpg

WolfGang
05-29-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure good looking, smooth players like Kobe and Chris Paul would smash all the female coaches.

I wonder why this discussion has never made it to espn.

Levity
05-29-2014, 05:17 PM
because the NBA wouldnt be able to afford all the paternity tests for players that would be needed once that coach gets preggers.

mr beast
05-29-2014, 05:56 PM
because u would get a call/text every hour after the game on that turnover, missed shot....etc

and then you would get a call/text from her every 5 minutes about that made shot/steal/block/assist

just kidding