PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers calls Bill Simmons an idiot

1987_Lakers
06-28-2013, 02:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uXPsZnS8CT8

:oldlol: . Anyone else think Simmons was on a roll tonight?

KyleKong
06-28-2013, 02:18 AM
Bill Simmons is a die hard and heart broken Celtics fan.

PickernRoller
06-28-2013, 02:18 AM
Love Bill Simmons reaction.........but but........room just went cold. :lol

Doc just called you an idiot on TV and you can't do crap about it. B1tch made, thanks Doc.

Pvssy @ss always takes shots at the Lakers like he's funny. BURN.:banana:

fiddy
06-28-2013, 02:19 AM
"I would like to call him an idiot but im too classy for that"
wow :oldlol:

HorryIsMyMVP
06-28-2013, 02:27 AM
Could a coach be any more overrated? He got 1 ring by the formation of super team. Goat coach right there :bowdown:

COnDEMnED
06-28-2013, 02:27 AM
Respect. I just gained some for Rivers. Awesome.

Eric Cartman
06-28-2013, 02:29 AM
"I would like to call him an idiot but im too classy for that"
wow :oldlol:

Doc was wayyyy out of line here. Don't have to mention the word idiot it's unproffesional.

fiddy
06-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Could a coach be any more overrated? He got 1 ring by the formation of super team. Goat coach right there :bowdown:
+classy wannabe

PickernRoller
06-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Doc was wayyyy out of line here. Don't have to mention the word idiot it's unproffesional.

Refreshing for once. Politically correct f'cks with your brain.......while saying the same thing.

1987_Lakers
06-28-2013, 02:31 AM

K.C. Jones of his era.

Heavincent
06-28-2013, 02:34 AM
Simmons is easily my favorite person on ESPN.

HorryIsMyMVP
06-28-2013, 02:34 AM
+classy wannabe
All around he is just not a good coach and a complete poser. It is to the point where it is comical. The only thing he does as a coach is make up some superficial motivational speech before the game. Like men, they wanna take your jobs! Then the Celtics players are like Derp what OUR JOBS?!?!. Doc is like yup your mother effin JOBS. Now go out there and win while I sit over here and look like I give a damn.

PickernRoller
06-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Simmons is easily my favorite person on ESPN.

No shit...how come?

1987_Lakers
06-28-2013, 02:35 AM
"The starting five has never lost".:oldlol:

kennethgriffin
06-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Bills right though

And i hate bill and love doc

HorryIsMyMVP
06-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Bills right though

And i hate bill and love doc
Well yeah you can tell by how mad Doc is :oldlol:

That alone is an admission of guilt. When she said that it crushed his soul.

Heavincent
06-28-2013, 02:42 AM
No shit...how come?

He speaks his mind and isn't your typical ESPN drone spewing politically correct BS. He's pretty funny too and is at least somewhat knowledgeable. I think he'd fit right in with the TNT guys.

He is right about Doc. Saying he quit on the team might be a blunt way of putting it, but he did leave without finishing his contract and wanted no part of a rebuilding process.

tikay0
06-28-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm with Bill on this one. Doc quit on his team plain and simple. I don't really blame him, but he still quit. Doc has that magical media invincibility about him though. I don't get it. He's not really a good coach.

Magic 32
06-28-2013, 02:48 AM
"The starting five has never lost".:oldlol:

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/phil-gif.gif

PickernRoller
06-28-2013, 02:55 AM
He speaks his mind and isn't your typical ESPN drone spewing politically correct BS. He's pretty funny too and is at least somewhat knowledgeable. I think he'd fit right in with the TNT guys.

He is right about Doc. Saying he quit on the team might be a blunt way of putting it, but he did leave without finishing his contract and wanted no part of a rebuilding process.

Sorry but cheap shot Simmons is a hypocrite and talking his mind doesn't make him refreshing. Not when half the crap he says has a strong dose of cynism. But that's just my opinion. It's o'right if you see him different.

The Doc thing I could care less. Simmons has 0 idea of what really went down. He wasn't behind closed doors when the whole thing was decided and speculates as much as the next guy. Makes up what he says believable by going with the most logical yet controversial rumor that can be said - journalism 101. If he somehow insinuates that Doc just back-stabbed the Celtics and Rivers knows Simmons knows jack shit; should Rivers sit back and take the filfth? Hell no, call him out for what he is. Primma dona idiot. Today is all about "political correctness" for professionals.....sometimes calling rumor mill journalist idiots is refreshing. Even if Simmons is right - due to sources or whatever, you pick your fights wisely and don't run around like TMZ....unless you got PROOF - concrete.

Respect if you want to be respected.

poido123
06-28-2013, 02:58 AM

I agree.

You should never flame a guy who has the balls to have an opinion without edges on national TV. People like Bill are few and far between, most stick to the script or usual jargon associated with being a TV announcer/analyst.

I respect Bill and absolutely love the comments he says. The guy knows his shit and I share most of his opinions...

I.R.Beast
06-28-2013, 03:08 AM

Him and Jeff Van Gundy calling games together would be better than stand up comedy..lol

RIP CITY
06-28-2013, 03:15 AM
Bill Simmons is an idiot but in this situation he was absolutely right, Doc did quit on the Celtics because he didn't want to rebuild. Also agree with HorryIsMyMVP, Doc is an overrated Coach.

PickernRoller
06-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Somehow we are supposed to believe that a Coach that was with the Celtics for several years, through ups and downs and brought success to the table still has loyalty dues with the Celtics?

A Coach like himself wants to win and the least the Celtics can do is free him up so he can coach and succeed elsewhere for the rest of his career. BTW unloading a pricey contract while they are at it - for coaching standards. On the bright side, a new, upcoming assistant out there could be given their shot at coaching a rebuilding franchise.

I am amazed how people suggest that in order for Rivers to prove his loyalty he should waste 3-4 years of his ending coaching career nurturing a lottery team. Him being the guy won't make that much of a difference than other coaches. That's if you believe he's overrated as most claim here - which is obviously not true.

andremiller07
06-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Has Doc ever made a bad team into something decent? Up until the massive trade which got KG/Ray Ray he was well on his way to be fired after two horrible seasons in charge.

poido123
06-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Bill Simmons is an idiot but in this situation he was absolutely right, Doc did quit on the Celtics because he didn't want to rebuild. Also agree with HorryIsMyMVP, Doc is an overrated Coach.

Can you give an example of this? I'd be interested to know what you disagree with..

G-train
06-28-2013, 03:32 AM
You are naive if you think Rivers quit.
It was mutual, and both parties did very well out of it.

G-train
06-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Has Doc ever made a bad team into something decent? Up until the massive trade which got KG/Ray Ray he was well on his way to be fired after two horrible seasons in charge.

Familiarize yourself with his first season as coach.

G-train
06-28-2013, 03:40 AM
I agree.

You should never flame a guy who has the balls to have an opinion without edges on national TV. People like Bill are few and far between, most stick to the script or usual jargon associated with being a TV announcer/analyst.

I respect Bill and absolutely love the comments he says. The guy knows his shit and I share most of his opinions...

Simmons is a basketball dolt and most of his opinions are far from the truth.

He is a scummy journalist and nothing more, sucking in suckers.

When will Western civilization realize the garbage that the media spew out is not the truth.
There is the NBA, then there is what dolts like Simmons and Bayless say the NBA is.

Simmons is gaining popularity by saying what the casual fan thinks, but casual fans are uninformed and know little about true ball.

He wouldnt sniff a scout role, let alone a GM role. His bball knowledge is basic and he thinks reading about history makes him an expert on the present.

Nothing more than a wizardly wordsmith, sucking in people.

The facts of this situation is that Doc and Danny set up this whole thing together, and manipulated the media as much as possible.
They don't care if these asses know the truth. They just want them to portray a 'truth' that benefits them, and progresses the actual reality.

#1SportsFan86
06-28-2013, 03:53 AM
You are naive if you think Rivers quit.
It was mutual, and both parties did very well out of it.

:facepalm

senelcoolidge
06-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Simmons got flustered, that was funny. Simmons and Rose should not return next season they are sooo bad.

Rysio
06-28-2013, 05:47 AM
obviously simmons is right but dont expect a guy to just say he quit. people dont like quitters and you cant blame him for quitting cuz no body wants to be part of tanking/rebuilding. thats what new and inexperienced coaches are for.

kshutts1
06-28-2013, 05:47 AM
Simmons is a basketball dolt and most of his opinions are far from the truth.

He is a scummy journalist and nothing more, sucking in suckers.

When will Western civilization realize the garbage that the media spew out is not the truth.
There is the NBA, then there is what dolts like Simmons and Bayless say the NBA is.

Simmons is gaining popularity by saying what the casual fan thinks, but casual fans are uninformed and know little about true ball.

He wouldnt sniff a scout role, let alone a GM role. His bball knowledge is basic and he thinks reading about history makes him an expert on the present.

Nothing more than a wizardly wordsmith, sucking in people.

The facts of this situation is that Doc and Danny set up this whole thing together, and manipulated the media as much as possible.
They don't care if these asses know the truth. They just want them to portray a 'truth' that benefits them, and progresses the actual reality.

Don't care about whether or not what anything you said is "true"... but you claim Simmons in uninformed, then you also claim to know that "....set up this whole thing together..."

Just sayin'.

NumberSix
06-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Doc didn't "quit" on the team. It was obvious that they were cleaning house.

kshutts1
06-28-2013, 05:50 AM
And I guess Doc is a quitter, since he didn't want to fight for a team that is likely lottery bound.

Other quitters:
Kobe
KG
Paul
Wade (collusion)
Howard
and God knows how many other players that have ever asked for a trade out of a bad situation.

But honestly, whether Doc quit or not, the Celtics got a great deal. A first round pick for a coach?! Wow. And the opportunity to hire a new coach to grow with the new team (assuming the team gives him a leash, which would be rare). Sounds solid to me.

R.I.P.
06-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Everybody in the league probably thinks he

G-train
06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Don't care about whether or not what anything you said is "true"... but you claim Simmons in uninformed, then you also claim to know that "....set up this whole thing together..."

Just sayin'.

If you believe the media, Doc quit. It sells papers. It resonates with fans.

The truth is Danny was going to rebuild, didn't need Doc and Doc was prepared to go elsewhere. Doc gets huge role and cash, and Danny saves heaps of cash and a draft pick.

Join the dots Einstein.

fiddy
06-28-2013, 08:07 AM
If you believe the media, Doc quit. It sells papers. It resonates with fans.

The truth is Danny was going to rebuild, didn't need Doc and Doc was prepared to go elsewhere. Doc gets huge role and cash, and Danny saves heaps of cash and a draft pick.

Join the dots Einstein.
Didnt need doc for rebuilding? :roll: Why not? Im very confused

G-train
06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Didnt need doc for rebuilding? :roll: Why not? Im very confused

You are definitely confused.

He costs $7m a year to do a $2-3m per year job.

He is best suited to getting the most out of players, not developing young talent.

He is a people manager first and a teacher second.

Plus there is almost always an expiry on these relationships.

It was time, both sides knew it, and deals were struck and would have continued to have been struck if Stern wasn't clever.

SilkkTheShocker
06-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Bill Simmons on ESPN/ABC reminds me of Dennis Miller doing Monday Night Football 13 years ago. Underrated, but doesn't fit in well at all.

Rake2204
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Bill Simmons on ESPN/ABC reminds me of Dennis Miller doing Monday Night Football 13 years ago. Underrated, but doesn't fit in well at all.I must respectfully disagree in some regard. Contrary to Dennis Miller, I think Bill Simmons has an endless stream of knowledge on the sport for which he's analyzing. That said, the presence of knowledge on a topic doesn't automatically yield great on-air analysis. And to be honest, you may be right he doesn't fit in, but I like that he doesn't. The last thing I want is to hear another disposable analyst saying the exact same disposable lines, (ex: "Doc Rivers is a great coach and it's really going to be interesting to see what he can do in L.A.").

I think it's clear Simmons was not raised in the on-air entertainment industry and I think that hurts him in some regards but helps him in others. At this point, I am not in heavy need of knowing a personality is "polished" for TV. I also don't need to agree with him on everything. But for the most part, I didn't mind Bill Simmons at all last night. In fact, I kind of appreciate that he appears somewhat sincere and the things he does that earn a laugh are not contrived and clearly for show (hello, Shaq).

He doesn't quite feel like a regular guy just being who he is on air, but it's closer than I often see, so I enjoy that aspect - even if I don't always agree with him.

MaxFly
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Doc had been the coach of the Celtics since 2004, and with the first 4 years steeped in mediocrity with terrible rosters, Bill Simmons didn't like him as coach almost immediately. Prior to the Celts getting KG and Ray in 2008, Simmons had written numerous scathing articles about Doc, and even publicly called for his firing. As soon as fall of 2008 hit, Simmons began acting like Doc's biggest cheerleader... a complete 180. Ironically, I believe Doc ended up being the longest tenured coach in the east: 9 years with the Celtics.

I understand why some of you like Simmons; he is a lot like many of you. He sounds like he knows what he is talking about even in cases when it is clear that he doesn't. He is a guy who is really more of a fan than a journalist, saying what he feels, regardless of how foolish or myopic it may be... so he writes from the perspective of a fan, not a journalist. His constant and persistent cynicism may be refreshing to many of you who feed off of pessimism, just looking for someone who will "keep it real" by saying something negative about a player or coach. In reality, his analysis of basketball if laughably uninformed and mediocre. He is there to be the comic relief, the shock guy... the person who is there to say something that will get people talking. He's the fan on the panel, saying whatever comes to his mind.

I've been reading Simmons a lot longer than the vast majority of you... he is entertaining, and it's no wonder a lot of regular fans like him. Many of you probably see yourselves in him. The problem is that he rarely knows what he's talking about in terms of present analysis as opposed to basketball history. That's probably why I see him in a lot of you guys. :confusedshrug:

bagelred
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
They FINALLY found perfect role for Bill Simmons. The NBA Draft. Bill Simmons likes to ramble, crack jokes, hypothesize about scenarios....all that was MADE for the draft which is 5 hours long. He's definitely going to be a staple on that panel for years, unless he gets fired for pissing someone off first. :oldlol:

He definitely gets an A for his performance last night.

Jailblazers7
06-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Doc didn't "quit" on the team. It was obvious that they were cleaning house.

As they should, a rebuilding team should not pay a coach like $20M over 3 seasons.

Rake2204
06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Doc had been the coach of the Celtics since 2004, and with the first 4 years steeped in mediocrity with terrible rosters, Bill Simmons didn't like him as coach almost immediately. Prior to the Celts getting KG and Ray in 2008, Simmons had written numerous scathing articles about Doc, and even publicly called for his firing. As soon as fall of 2008 hit, Simmons began acting like Doc's biggest cheerleader... a complete 180. Ironically, I believe Doc ended up being the longest tenured coach in the east: 9 years with the Celtics.

I understand why some of you like Simmons; he is a lot like many of you. He sounds like he knows what he is talking about even in cases when it is clear that he doesn't. He is a guy who is really more of a fan than a journalist, saying what he feels, regardless of how foolish or myopic it may be... so he writes from the perspective of a fan, not a journalist. His constant and persistent cynicism may be refreshing to many of you who feed off of pessimism, just looking for someone who will "keep it real" by saying something negative about a player or coach. In reality, his analysis of basketball if laughably uninformed and mediocre. He is there to be the comic relief, the shock guy... the person who is there to say something that will get people talking. He's the fan on the panel, saying whatever comes to his mind.

I've been reading Simmons a lot longer than the vast majority of you... he is entertaining, and it's no wonder a lot of regular fans like him. Many of you probably see yourselves in him. The problem is that he rarely knows what he's talking about in terms of present analysis as opposed to basketball history. That's probably why I see him in a lot of you guys. :confusedshrug:I don't find myself particularly drawn to pessimism, but I still don't mind Bill Simmons. Perhaps this is because I don't have cable and tend to skip over half time reports, so I only see him on rare occasions. Maybe I'd grow weary if I saw or listened to him everyday.

Of all of ESPN's analysts, I'm not sure how many truly analyze with the true intention of... well... analyzing. In the case of Simmons vs. many other ESPN panelists, it can seem like it's a matter of picking between a fan of the game who says things that may be incorrect but are at least coming straight from his brain vs. guys hired to create a spectacle and spew things they don't believe themselves. Of everyone on ESPN's debate staff, I think I'd hesitate to label many of them as true journalists.

On the other hand, I don't really feel Simmons to be a shock guy either. I don't think he's shocking enough to fulfill such a role. I'm just bummed by your conclusive suggestion that anyone who doesn't mind Simmons must be endlessly pessimistic and/or a fan who just doesn't understand what's going on.

guy
06-28-2013, 09:40 AM
I guess you can say he technically quit, but was it really quitting in the traditional sense? It was basically a given that this team was going to rebuild. Paul Pierce was pretty much a goner, and as long as KG waived his clause, he was going to be gone too. And who knows about Rondo, because he's on the block like every off-season. They were obviously rebuilding. The organization quit on the team before Doc ever did. Its one thing if the team decided they were going to bring everyone back but that clearly wasn't the case. And really, the Celtics benefited from this. There's no way they wanted to pay a coach the highest salary in the league knowing they were rebuilding.

jzek
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Feel bad for Bill. His colleagues didn't help him either because they just went super quiet! :(

nightprowler10
06-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Simmons' shtick is that no one is supposed to take most of his basketball opinions seriously when it comes to his Boston homering. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but it sounds like Doc took his comments too seriously and Bill backed off. I'll watch it tonight for sure.

Droid101
06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Saying that he quit on his team was more unprofessional, IMO.

MaxFly
06-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm just bummed by your conclusive suggestion that anyone who doesn't mind Simmons must be endlessly pessimistic and/or a fan who just doesn't understand what's going on.

Let me be clear... I don't think everyone who likes Simmons is endlessly pessimistic or doesn't understand basketball. As I mentioned, I personally think he is entertaining. But I think those characteristics are what draw a lot of people to his style of commentary. He is an fan who has gotten the awesome opportunity to publicly express his thoughts in a blunt manner, regardless of how uninformed or short-sighted they are.

Take this Doc situation. Doc has been with us since 2004 and he started off his time here with 3 mediocre to terrible seasons. He didn't leave and he didn't quit even though Simmons was a pretty loud detractor... even calling for him to be fired in his articles. 9 years and the longest tenured Eastern Conference coach later, the Celts are blowing things up and now he is being called a quitter by a guy who was a loud opponent of his when the Celts were losing, but magically shut up when they started winning.

Here is what would have happened over the next few years. Doc would have stayed... the Celtics would have struggled mightily, Simmons would have started calling for him to be fired again, and ownership (who really likes Doc) would have realized that they were spending way too much money on a $10M coach when a $3M coach who can develop young players is what they really need. Doc would have been fired or allowed to walk, and he would have wasted a couple of years. Simmons' brand of analysis is too superficial to think past the present, something he shares in common with many of the posters here. It's easier to call Doc a quitter than to actually think through the decision in light of his present and future situation. It's the same sort of reactive and dimwitted commentary we see every day on ISH.

So again, my issue isn't with people who enjoy Simmons. I'm simply pointing out that a lot of people like him because his analysis is often just as superficial and sometimes caustic as theirs. He's a fan's fan.

KyrieTheFuture
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I love Simmons because he doesn't say the same thing over and over again like every other Journalist. Zach Lowe is the only writer with real basketball knowledge.

Rake2204
06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Let me be clear... I don't think everyone who likes Simmons is endlessly pessimistic or doesn't understand basketball. As I mentioned, I personally think he is entertaining. But I think those characteristics are what draw a lot of people to his style of commentary. He is an fan who has gotten the awesome opportunity to publicly express his thoughts in a blunt manner, regardless of how uninformed or short-sighted they are.

Take this Doc situation. Doc has been with us since 2004 and he started off his time here with 3 mediocre to terrible seasons. He didn't leave and he didn't quit even though Simmons was a pretty loud detractor... even calling for him to be fired in his articles. 9 years and the longest tenured Eastern Conference coach later, the Celts are blowing things up and now he is being called a quitter by a guy who was a loud opponent of his when the Celts were losing, but magically shut up when they started winning.

Here is what would have happened over the next few years. Doc would have stayed... the Celtics would have struggled mightily, Simmons would have started calling for him to be fired again, and ownership (who really likes Doc) would have realized that they were spending way too much money on a $10M coach when a $3M coach who can develop young players is what they really need. Doc would have been fired or allowed to walk, and he would have wasted a couple of years. Simmons' brand of analysis is too superficial to think past the present, something he shares in common with many of the posters here. It's easier to call Doc a quitter than to actually think through the decision in light of his present and future situation. It's the same sort of reactive and dimwitted commentary we see every day on ISH.

So again, my issue isn't with people who enjoy Simmons. I'm simply pointing out that a lot of people like him because his analysis is often just as superficial and sometimes caustic as theirs. He's a fan's fan.Well said. I appreciate the clarification. I haven't been really tuned in to the Doc Rivers situation, as I kind of just decided to let it all play out then take a look from there (as opposed to hanging on to every single rumor, twist and turn). So I don't really have an opinion either way on the Simmons/Rivers back and forth.

That said, your prognostication seems realistic. I can't speak as to how often Simmons only deals with the present and doesn't think long term, but in this case, you make a compelling point from your end.