PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Rockets are frontrunners for Dwight

rezznor
06-30-2013, 01:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--dwight-howard-s-free-agent-courtship-to-begin-with-rockets-as-frontrunners-023015124.html

After two years of careful planning and preparation to make themselves irresistible to Dwight Howard, the Houston Rockets have emerged as the frontrunners to sign the free agent center and will make a formal presentation to him on Sunday night in Los Angeles, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets, Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors and Lakers will make presentations between Sunday's midnight ET start of free agency and Tuesday evening, sources told Y! Sports.

Howard doesn't want this process to extend long beyond his final meetings on Tuesday and could have a decision before the end of the week, sources said.

"He wants to make a decision based on basketball more than anything else," one source with knowledge of Howard's thinking told Y! Sports.

For this reason, Howard has been leaning toward the Rockets in recent weeks and considers them the only team that would instantly allow him to play for a championship contender, sources said. The Lakers aren't out of contention for Howard, but they are running second with the meetings starting Sunday in Los Angeles, sources told Y! Sports.

Two of the biggest hurdles facing the Lakers' ability to re-sign Howard remain his disdain for coach Mike D'Antoni's system and a belief that the Lakers not only aren't a championship contender as constructed, but lack the assets and financial flexibility to become one in the near future, sources told Y! Sports.

Although Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently told D'Antoni that his job is secure, sources said, the fact that management hasn't allowed him to start hiring assistant coaches for a depleted staff has left many suspicious the Lakers are keeping the option of cutting ties with D'Antoni should it allow them to re-sign Howard.

And the one coach who has most recently been considered for an assistant's spot on the staff, Kurt Rambis, is closely tied to the Buss family and the ever-lurking Phil Jackson. The Lakers are desperate to hold onto Howard, and the reality remains that two of the people who should be most important in the retainment process – D'Antoni and star Kobe Bryant – have poor relationships with him.

The Rockets will sell Howard on a four-year, max contract with advantageous Texas tax rules, a roster constructed for championship contention, an offense designed with him as a cornerstone and an imprint into China and the Far East that could hold immense marketing and endorsement possibilities for him.

Because of their ties to Yao Ming and now Jeremy Lin, the Rockets are the most televised NBA franchise in China, with data showing that nearly 300 million regular-season viewers watched Houston on CCTV 5 this season. For Howard, the Rockets sell will assuredly be how much more lucrative sneaker, appearance and marketing possibilities will be for him in a basketball-driven part of the world.

Dallas is selling Howard a two-year plan to reshape its roster and the championship pedigree of owner Mark Cuban, coach Rick Carlisle and star Dirk Nowitzki.

Atlanta has the cap space to bring Howard back to his childhood home, but Howard has never shown a desire to play as a professional there.

The Warriors have the toughest path to try and acquire Howard – needing a sign-and-trade scenario with the Lakers to make it happen. Golden State hasn't constructed its franchise with the pursuit of Howard as a priority, and has shown little inclination to gut its excellent young core to deliver the Lakers assets in a sign-and-trade deal.

fpliii
06-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Shit. Woj is always right.

Oh well, next year is going to be a lean season...

Chuckbrook
06-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Here we go

Harison
06-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Rockets with a healthy Dwight would be scary. Two legit superstars in primes (Harden will only get better) with solid role players.

tikay0
06-30-2013, 01:41 PM
If Dwight goes to Houston, is Asik coming off the bench, or are they gonna trade him?

Could you imagine having to go up against Howard with Asik backing him up!? :wtf:

Foster5k
06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I wonder is there anyway Heat can get Asik. If not, Rockets will have the best center combo in the league with Dwight/Asik.

Haymaker
06-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Houston has waived Carlos Delfino and Aaron Brooks, league source tells Y! Sports. @dmorey just bid them farewell on twitter.

Apogee
06-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I wonder is there anyway Heat can get Asik. If not, Rockets will have the best center combo in the league with Dwight/Asik.

There is no way we can pay/get Asik without moving some players around. Riley wants to keep this together as much as he can.Riley is banking on Oden which is a low risk high reward type situation.

longtime lurker
06-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Howard will resign with the Lakers. I just have a feeling here that he won't leave all that money on the table. And lol @ Rockets being a championship contender. On the Lakers he'll have a chance to have a roster shaped after him, on the Rockets I don't see how the pieces fit besides Harden, Chandler and Howard.

Beatlezz
06-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Time to tank! Screw Wiggins, Lakers are going to get -->Aaron Gordon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-cZTPyX-8) next draft. :banana:

Nastradamus
06-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Asik,Lin and T.Jones for Bosh and Chalmers?

rezznor
06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
bosh, harden, howard, parsons, beverly...i'd do it

ProfessorMurder
06-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Houston has waived Carlos Delfino and Aaron Brooks, league source tells Y! Sports. @dmorey just bid them farewell on twitter.

Denver needs to get on signing Delfino.

cos88
06-30-2013, 02:00 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

rezznor
06-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Howard will resign with the Lakers. I just have a feeling here that he won't leave all that money on the table. And lol @ Rockets being a championship contender. On the Lakers he'll have a chance to have a roster shaped after him, on the Rockets I don't see how the pieces fit besides Harden, Chandler and Howard.
1. he's already said the last year of his contract doesn't matter to him since he plans to opt out anyways.

2. cali income tax is 10.3%, tx is 0. that's a huge chunk of change.

3. rockets are #1 team in china and 300 million chinese watch them....huge marketing potential for dwight.

4. friction between dwight and kobe/dantoni.

he's leaving the lakers. honestly, houston makes the most sense for dwight.

NugzFan
06-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Denver needs to get on signing Delfino.

if we resign iggy then he would be a good fit. however isnt he very similar to fournier?

Cleverness
1. he's already said the last year of his contract doesn't matter to him since he plans to opt out anyways.

2. cali income tax is 14%, tx is 0. that's a huge chunk of change.

Where are you getting this number?

rezznor
Where are you getting this number?
saw it on espn last night

edit: i must have seen it wrong, just looked it up and it's 10% for dwight

http://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

ProfessorMurder
06-30-2013, 02:06 PM
if we resign iggy then he would be a good fit. however isnt he very similar to fournier?

Fournier is a better ball handler in my opinion, Delfino is way more of a 2... Main reason I think Denver needs Delfino is that he can shoot like crazy. Denver really needs 3 point shooters i.e. someone like Korver/Delfino/Morrow.

PickernRoller
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Lol the Rockets have the most Orlando-esque roster in the league. They are young and promising and have a good coach to run the system. I believe basketball wise they have the best roster to fit Dwight in this league (Besides Miami of course - too stacked - out of the picture).

The only way the Lakers roster becomes a roster that basketball wise makes sense for Dwight is if the coach at helm is Phill Jackson or Pop or Rivers or Thibs. Those coaches know how to build/run systems around bigs - as it should be with two seven footers. Other pieces will fall in per coach suggestions with the front office.

MDA is in my opinion the biggest deterrent for Dwight signing "basketball wise". But like Kobe said, if Dwight wants to stay, it's because he really wants to, and not because he was convinced to sign. Two different things. There is really no need to desperate for Dwight. If he signs, get to work, if he doesn't good luck to him and do our own thing - like we have done in the past.

NugzFan
06-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Fournier is a better ball handler in my opinion, Delfino is way more of a 2... Main reason I think Denver needs Delfino is that he can shoot like crazy. Denver really needs 3 point shooters i.e. someone like Korver/Delfino/Morrow.

agreed. but fournier is also a 2.

if we keep iggy, then adding a korver/reddick/defino would be great. if not, then i dont want to add any guys who will simply add a few meaningless wins.

All Net
06-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Even as a laker fan dwight going to Houston makes the most sense for him.

longtime lurker
06-30-2013, 02:16 PM

2. cali income tax is 10.3%, tx is 0. that's a huge chunk of change.

3. rockets are #1 team in china and 300 million chinese watch them....huge marketing potential for dwight.

4. friction between dwight and kobe/dantoni.

he's leaving the lakers. honestly, houston makes the most sense for dwight.

1. Dwight says a lot of things. But which free agent has actually passed up a 5 year deal.

2. You have a point but NBA players get taxed for every state they play in. I could be wrong, but I think thinking if someone actually worked it out the numbers are pretty negligible.

3. Kobe is an absolute God in China. He plays for the Lakers. LA is the largest market in the country(probably second to New York). If Dwight wants to have movie career(and I've heard he does) then it makes more sense to stay in LA.

4. This is over blown. Lakers would cut D'Antoni if it means Dwight stays. D'Antoni is probably gone anyways after next season. Kobe is in the last year of his contract and the Lakers would choose Dwight over resigning Kobe if it came down to it. Besides Kobe probably plays 2 years more max.

Houston is an 8th seed playoff team that got bounced by a Westbrookless OKC team. Laketrs will all their injuries were still a better team than them. There are no more instant contenders in the NBA. Not saying that Dwight wouldn't go to Houston, but all these predictions about him leaving lead me to believe he'll resign. With all the supposed hate he has for D'Antoni and Kobe the Lakers are still the second favorite to sign him.

PickernRoller
06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Even as a laker fan dwight going to Houston makes the most sense for him.

^. If Phil Jackson was coaching - hell no.

longtime lurker
06-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Lol the Rockets have the most Orlando-esque roster in the league. They are young and promising and have a good coach to run the system. I believe basketball wise they have the best roster to fit Dwight in this league (Besides Miami of course - too stacked - out of the picture).

The only way the Lakers roster becomes a roster that basketball wise makes sense for Dwight is if the coach at helm is Phill Jackson or Pop or Rivers or Thibs. Those coaches know how to build/run systems around bigs - as it should be with two seven footers. Other pieces will fall in per coach suggestions with the front office.

MDA is in my opinion the biggest deterrent for Dwight signing "basketball wise". But like Kobe said, if Dwight wants to stay, it's because he really wants to, and not because he was convinced to sign. Two different things. There is really no need to desperate for Dwight. If he signs, get to work, if he doesn't good luck to him and do our own thing - like we have done in the past.

I don't know why people assume that this Lakers team will be the team Dwight is going to play with the rest of his life :confusedshrug: Besides Harden and Chandler how does the rest of the team make sense? Lin can't shoot and can't play off the ball, Thomas Robinson can't shoot, Asik yeah right and him and Howard will ensure the Rockets have the worst free throw shooting in the league. Beverly? The advantage of the Lakers is that they can literally build their team around him next year. No ifs, ands or maybes. They can land 1 or possibly 2 super stars to team with Howard. This year they could sign a bunch of shooters for the vet min and have Orlando version 2. People neglect that it was Van Gundy that made that team click not just having shooters around.

TylerOO
06-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Ew no. No one wants crappy ass Lin

PickernRoller
06-30-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't know why people assume that this Lakers team will be the team Dwight is going to play with the rest of his life :confusedshrug: Besides Harden and Chandler how does the rest of the team make sense? Lin can't shoot and can't play off the ball, Thomas Robinson can't shoot, Asik yeah right and him and Howard will ensure the Rockets have the worst free throw shooting in the league. Beverly? The advantage of the Lakers is that they can literally build their team around him next year. No ifs, ands or maybes. They can land 1 or possibly 2 super stars to team with Howard. This year they could sign a bunch of shooters for the vet min and have Orlando version 2. People neglect that it was Van Gundy that made that team click not just having shooters around.

The best 3pt shooting team in the league last year disagrees. The Rockets can shoot. Although, the mid-range game of all of the Rockets players is questionable indeed. Add to that the fact that Delfino was just waived and their 3pt shooting takes a hit. Nonetheless, they are young and developing.

There is no guarantee that the Lakers will land 2 super stars in 2014 nor can they promise that. Lebron is staying in Miami, Melo with the Knicks....etc etc etc. The last thing the Lakers should do is build an Orlando-esque team around Dwight. That's not how you build championship teams. Maybe for one season aka the Rockets/ Van Gundy Magic. Long term other pieces are required - what we need is a good coach first and foremost. So we know what type of ball we are going to play. Run and Gun Pringles is a disaster.

All Net
06-30-2013, 02:41 PM
^. If Phil Jackson was coaching - hell no.

Doesn't matter who is coaching

Our roster is badly flawed.

PickernRoller
06-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Doesn't matter who is coaching

Our roster is badly flawed.

The roster will eventually get fixed, two seasons max. With Phil at helm you know what type of ball you're going to run, and you can expect for the system to make the most out of a Kobe-Dwight-Pau combo or whatever the pieces end up to be for the 2014 season or 2015 season.

What you get with the Rockets is Van Gundy 2.0. What you get with Phil is Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Pau-Kobe Lakers - all proven to succeed. If you get the idea.

The coach and system matters a lot - A LOT. There is a reason Paul is staying with the Clippers this season.

oh the horror
06-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Sorry my fellow Laker fans. LA brass dropped the ball with going with MDA as coach first off. The allure and moment passed. Now you just have a broken down roster which Kobe is the top of that with a torn tendon due to the season being a disaster.

Not to mention a bad taste in EVERYONEs mouths at this point.

Phil ain't saving that. Lakers are basically standing around not doing much and letting it all pass by

LA_Showtime
06-30-2013, 03:08 PM
I want Dwight to sign with Houston. He's a great player and everything, but he hasn't embraced being a Laker and he doesn't seem suited for the LA spotlight. The fact management is practically begging him to stay is a joke. He should want to play for the Lakers. He should want to be a part of this storied franchise. Even if we do re-sign him, it's not like we'll be competing for a championship. Let him walk and build for 2014, and hope Kobe doesn't throw a child-like tantrum.

longtime lurker
06-30-2013, 03:09 PM
The best 3pt shooting team in the league last year disagrees. The Rockets can shoot. Although, the mid-range game of all of the Rockets players is questionable indeed. Add to that the fact that Delfino was just waived and their 3pt shooting takes a hit. Nonetheless, they are young and developing.

There is no guarantee that the Lakers will land 2 super stars in 2014 nor can they promise that. Lebron is staying in Miami, Melo with the Knicks....etc etc etc. The last thing the Lakers should do is build an Orlando-esque team around Dwight. That's not how you build championship teams. Maybe for one season aka the Rockets/ Van Gundy Magic. Long term other pieces are required - what we need is a good coach first and foremost. So we know what type of ball we are going to play. Run and Gun Pringles is a disaster.

As for the Rockets what you fail to realize is that their whole style of play will change once Dwight signs. They played at a higher pace last year which lead to all the 3 point shooting. They'll have to slow it down once Dwight comes on board and how does Asik and Dwight fit offensively? Neither player can shoot outside of 5 ft from the basket. They'll be a good team, but second round exit.

As far as the Lakers what cap space gives them is options. They'll more than likely sign a super star, but even then they could still trade for one without or absorb some good players from teams looking to save money. That's the point, even if they don't build an Orlando type team around Dwight they have unlimited options having so much cap space. That's the problem with superstars of today and fans, everyone wants instant gratification instead of waiting to build something.

Kingwillball
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
If Dwight goes to Houston, is Asik coming off the bench, or are they gonna trade him?

Could you imagine having to go up against Howard with Asik backing him up!? :wtf:

No Heat should trade for Asik :D

D-Rose
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Any cap experts here?

Tim macmahon of ESPNDallas tweeted that even if Rockets traded T-Rob for $0 waived non-guaranteed guys like Beverley and Greg Smith...they'd still have work to do to give Dwight the absolute max.

SpecialQue
06-30-2013, 03:11 PM
I want Dwight to sign with Houston. He's a great player and everything, but he hasn't embraced being a Laker and he doesn't seem suited for the LA spotlight. The fact management is practically begging him to stay is a joke. He should want to play for the Lakers. He should want to be a part of this storied franchise. Even if we do re-sign him, it's not like we'll be competing for a championship. Let him walk and build for 2014, and hope Kobe doesn't throw a child-like tantrum.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/732120721.png

All Net
06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Any cap experts here?

Tim macmahon of ESPNDallas tweeted that even if Rockets traded T-Rob for $0 waived non-guaranteed guys like Beverley and Greg Smith...they'd still have work to do to give Dwight the absolute max.

Nah they would have enough to offer max

Dallas need to trade Marion to do the same.

D-Rose
06-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Nah they would have enough to offer max

Dallas need to trade Marion to do the same.
Do you have the actual numbers on hand? Dallas is 2.73 mill away from giving Dwight the max according to Tim MacMahon.

All Net
06-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Do you have the actual numbers on hand? Dallas is 2.73 mill away from giving Dwight the max according to Tim MacMahon.

Not on hand but remember seeing something from coon not long ago.its wh Houston needed to move delfino and brooks..

daily
06-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Any cap experts here?

Tim macmahon of ESPNDallas tweeted that even if Rockets traded T-Rob for $0 waived non-guaranteed guys like Beverley and Greg Smith...they'd still have work to do to give Dwight the absolute max. This is correct. They're not in the clear quite yet, They have to move Robinson and somehow not take back any $$ in contracts

PickernRoller
06-30-2013, 03:21 PM
As for the Rockets what you fail to realize is that their whole style of play will change once Dwight signs. They played at a higher pace last year which lead to all the 3 point shooting. They'll have to slow it down once Dwight comes on board and how does Asik and Dwight fit offensively? Neither player can shoot outside of 5 ft from the basket. They'll be a good team, but second round exit.

As far as the Lakers what cap space gives them is options. They'll more than likely sign a super star, but even then they could still trade for one without or absorb some good players from teams looking to save money. That's the point, even if they don't build an Orlando type team around Dwight they have unlimited options having so much cap space. That's the problem with superstars of today and fans, everyone wants instant gratification instead of waiting to build something.

Ohh that's a given. Of course the dynamics change. We are talking face value here.... everything always changes once it's realized. We are discussing face value and also hypothetically assuming that McHale can turn the Rockets into a similar team like Orlando. You do make valid points.

I still think for us we need to solve our coaching issue more so than anything else. We can't sign players without knowing how the coach is going to use them and if it fits the system in place aka make the most out of your player's strengths. I hardly believe MDA will change his whole philosophy one season to next. Even if he does make adjustments which he showed last season and more of which are about to come this season - I still don't think he's the right guy for our team nor a championship Laker team.

rezznor
06-30-2013, 03:26 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Dwight Howard spent Saturday hanging out at the Major League Gaming Spring Championship -- a video game convention in Anaheim, Calif. -- on the day before kicking off what promises to be one of the most important stretches of his professional life.

As Howard embarks on a whirlwind free agency process that will feature sit-down sessions with at least five teams, his main priority, according to a source close to the nine-year veteran, is finding a destination that will help him win a championship of a different sort.

After feeling the shine of the Finals stage four years ago, Howard desperately wants to get back to the pinnacle with a team that will not only deliver him his first title, but put him in a situation to lift the Larry O'Brien trophy at the end of the season on multiple occasions.

The Houston Rockets will be first up Sunday night, followed by the Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks in some order, and ending with the Los Angeles Lakers, at the Lakers' request.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Index. Blog

"The meetings are not scheduled by preference," said the source. "And Howard respected the Lakers' wish to go last."

The Lakers have unofficially already begun their pitch to Howard, erecting billboards around L.A., urging the seven-time All-Star to "stay" with the franchise that has won 16 world championships.

Howard has noticed.

"He's flattered," said the source close to Howard. "Anytime an organization with that much winning history goes out of its way to show you appreciation, it is a special feeling. ... But billboards don't win championships."

The one leg up the Lakers have on the competition is the financial incentive of being able to offer a max five-year, $118 million contract as opposed to a four-year, $88 million deal. But Howard's championship-or-bust priority all but levels the playing field. The real compensation he's after is rings.

Whether Howard feels like the Lakers will give him the best chance at that remains to be seen. But the center will not play the trump card of suggesting a coaching change that some believe would make a stay in L.A. more amenable to him.

"Howard has not asked for Mike D'Antoni to be fired and Howard will not ask for that," said the source.

For their part, the Lakers have remained resolute in their promise to give D'Antoni a chance to coach next season with a healthy roster and a full training camp, according to sources. They have assured him both publicly and privately that he will remain as the Lakers coach, regardless of what happens with Howard, sources said.

[+] Enlarge
Courtesy of J Alexander Diaz/Lakers
This image can be seen on a billboard on Hollywood Boulevard and is part of the Lakers' campaign to lure Dwight Howard back to the team in free agency.
The Lakers believe that although Howard never warmed to D'Antoni's system this past season, if he ultimately decides to leave, it will be for other factors, sources said.

While general manager Mitch Kupchak expressed optimism the team would ultimately re-sign Howard, there are some within the organization who are genuinely worried that he will choose to go elsewhere. Should that happen, the Lakers are more likely to simply let him walk rather than take back contracts in a sign-and-trade, sources said. The plan then would be to regroup for the summer of 2014 free agent class.

Still, the Lakers' top priority is to re-sign Howard.

D'Antoni has yet to hire any assistant coaches for next season. Alvin Gentry had a standing offer to coach on D'Antoni's staff if he didn't get a head coaching job. But he has accepted an associate head coaching job on Doc Rivers' staff with the Los Angeles Clippers.

D'Antoni is considering several coaches, sources said, but everything is in something of a holding pattern until Howard makes his decision.

Former assistant Kurt Rambis is under consideration, sources confirmed. Rambis, once Phil Jackson's lead assistant coach, is seen as a great player development coach and someone who could act as a stabilizing force on the staff because of his deep ties within the franchise and throughout the roster.

Johnny Davis, who was Howard's first coach in the NBA with the Orlando Magic, is also under consideration, a source said.

Finding out what the Lakers have in store for their coaching staff and future personnel plans in order to get back to the championship level they were at when they beat Howard's Magic in 2009 and repeated against Boston in 2010 is what Howard is most interested in, the source close to Howard said.

Even though Howard is "intrigued" by what he already knows about Houston, according to the source, he is going into every meeting with the same "data gathering" approach.

"This can't be an emotional decision," the source said.

Between now and when the clock officially starts ticking on his decision come 12:01 a.m. ET on Monday morning, Howard plans to stick to his normal, everyday routine.

"He's going to try to relax, but it's not like he's going to suddenly take up yoga or change his diet dramatically," said the source. "He knows it's going to be a stressful time."

The 27-year-old Howard has not flown in any family members to surround him, either.

"He knows that now, more than any other time, the decision has to be wholeheartedly his decision and his alone," said the source. ..

SpecialQue
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Let's just put this to rest: The Lakers aren't resigning Dwight. It's just not going to happen. He's gone, and the team needs to move on and figure out where to go from here. I just hope this idiot makes his decision faster than last time and doesn't waste everyone's time again.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
06-30-2013, 04:07 PM

problem with Dwight is he doesnt have any post moves...1 or 2...even these are so uncomfortable to watch...

Playing Howard/Asik together is a joke...just push asik aout of 5ft and he is inefficient

who is their pg? lin/beverly? lin needs the ball in hand to be effective...while Harden needs the ball in his hand....

they should have kept petterson...a cheap guy to space the floor...who is their PF next year? DMo? well good luck

for me...I dont care if he signs or leaves honestly....

I for 1 want to get rid of Nash if howard doesnt sign up....

The-Legend-24
06-30-2013, 04:23 PM
lol @ putting billboards for this clown. A franchise like the Lakers should not be begging a player like Dwight to stay.

Fvck it, let him walk. I have faith that Jim will fix all of this :oldlol:

D-Rose
06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Article from CPA on $ difference between LA and Houston/Dallas:http://m.accountingweb.com/article/will-taxes-affect-dwight-howards-decision/221968

Dwight gets 30 mill more guaranteed, but there is only a 9 mill difference after State Tax..that's huge and Texas teams will surely be emphasizing that to him. He could easily make up 9 mill with more endorsements.

It's A VC3!!!
06-30-2013, 04:46 PM
no reason for dwight to stay in LA. the lakers are not contenders, or even a second round team with dwight. they did turn things around late into the season but with kobe coming back from a torn achilles, nash being 40 years old next year and mike failtoni being the coach next year, the lakers need to do more then just have dwight on their team. they should just break the team up when dwight goes to the rockets. kobe, nash and pau will be a waste of a lot of money to all be on one team.

lpublic_enemyl
06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
lmao heat aren't trading bosh and chalmers for that crap and asik

Haymaker
06-30-2013, 05:12 PM
If Dwight stays in LA, he won't have the stability that awaits him in Houston. He could start the season without Kobe, then if everything starts clicking, Kobe enters the equation and he will have to re-adjust to the system with Kobe. It's gonna be a repeat of last season. In Houston he knows he will be with the same group of young talented individuals for a long time and they will have the time to click and get the ball rolling. In LA, uncertainty awaits him after Kobe leaves, since there's no guarantee that LeBron or any other big name will join him.

Dengness9
06-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Only thing about all that, is in a world w/out Jerry Buss... Dwight Howard not resigning could be the first domino to fall in the collapse of the Lakers.

Lebron isn't playing for the Lakers in 2014....unless Kobe wants out.

And with Kobe wanting a ring or 2 more before he retires, looks like Lakers better get their shit together quickly because I could finally see Kobe wanting out if the Lakers roster isn't good enough to compete for chips year in year out.

It's going to get very interesting. I think Dwight goes to Houston, and in 2014 Kobe leaves for greener pastures to get his last shot at a 6th championship.

I know the Lakers always find a way to stay at or near the top but I think with Jerry Buss passing that things are gonna change for the worse in La La land. At least for a couple of years.

jzek
06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Woj is the only NBA source I trust. Make this happen HOU! :rockon:

R.I.P.
06-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I never understand why people argue for Houston with Harden and Parsons being younger than Dirk and Kobe. Next summer the Lakers and Mavs have over 20 million dollars in capspace, when Dirk and Kobe (possibly Gasol) will sign huge value deals. Then the new question could become would you rather play with

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Asik

or

Nash
Kobe
Melo
Gasol

or

Larkin
Ellis
LeBron
Dirk

Just extreme examples. But there is no guarantee that next year the Rockets team will actually be better than the Mavs or Lakers. Neither the Mavs or Lakers are in a situation like the Nets, where they are stuck with their current rosters long-term and can

Dengness9
06-30-2013, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I never understand why people argue for Houston with Harden and Parsons being younger than Dirk and Kobe. Next summer the Lakers and Mavs have over 20 million dollars in capspace, when Dirk and Kobe (possibly Gasol) will sign huge value deals. Then the new question could become would you rather play with

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Asik

or

Nash
Kobe
Melo
Gasol

or

Larkin
Ellis
LeBron
Dirk

Just extreme examples. But there is no guarantee that next year the Rockets team will actually be better than the Mavs or Lakers. Neither the Mavs or Lakers are in a situation like the Nets, where they are stuck with their current rosters long-term and can

R.I.P.
06-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Problem with those extreme examples is they are too extreme. Even if they have a small chance of happening, the Rockets already have a young talented roster with an under 25 superstar in Harden. Parsons looks like a really good player already and there are other role players. Asik can bring back something really important in a trade as well to fill a different hole in the roster. And i STILL like Thomas Robinson's potential.

His best option currently is the Rockets. Mchale coach, Hakeem already has tutored Dwight and would quite a bit more if Dwight actually plays for the Rockets.

Lakers and Mavs could completely retool their rosters in the next year or 2 or they could completely fail at it and have to completely rebuild. Rockets have already REBUILT and trending up big time.

If Dwight/Kobe and Dwight/Dirk are there players like Gay, Deng or Granger will absolutely go there. The Mavs right now have exactly 2.3 million dollars (Larkin/Crowder) in guaranteed money in the summer of 2014. The Lakers have 9.7 million dollars (Nash). The Rockets have exactly zero capspace next summer once they sign Howard.

Haymaker
06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
If Dwight/Kobe and Dwight/Dirk are there players like Gay, Deng or Granger will absolutely go there. The Mavs right now have exactly 2.3 million dollars (Larkin/Crowder) in guaranteed money in the summer of 2014. The Lakers have 9.7 million dollars (Nash). The Rockets have exactly zero capspace next summer once they sign Howard. Rockets can always move players to free up space. It's too risky to wait for the Mavs and Lakers to scramble for a decent team when Houston already has a young, exciting playoff team available.

Dengness9
06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
If Dwight/Kobe and Dwight/Dirk are there players like Gay, Deng or Granger will absolutely go there. The Mavs right now have exactly 2.3 million dollars (Larkin/Crowder) in guaranteed money in the summer of 2014. The Lakers have 9.7 million dollars (Nash). The Rockets have exactly zero capspace next summer once they sign Howard.

Fair points, but nothing is guaranteed to happen in either situation even with all that cap space. One of those two teams is gonna come away with far less than what they cleared the cap space for, most presumably Dallas.

And its ok if the Rockets have zero capspace if they get Dwight. Harden is signed, Parson will be restricted, as well as T-Rob and not sure about the rest of the roster.

Asik and Lin both have MAJOR spikes in their contracts for the third year, Morey would have to stay busy and find a home for one or both. They both jump up to 15 million after this season i believe. Someone will take Asik though. Avg 11 boards last year, one of the best defensive 7ft's in the league.

Houston with Dwight signing this summer moving forward has A LOT less question marks to the plan than Dallas or LA, that's all im saying. And James Harden doesn't need the spotlight, egotistical baby Dwight can have it.

Haymaker
06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Fair points, but nothing is guaranteed to happen in either situation even with all that cap space. One of those two teams is gonna come away with far less than what they cleared the cap space for, most presumably Dallas.

And its ok if the Rockets have zero capspace if they get Dwight. Harden is signed, Parson will be restricted, as well as T-Rob and not sure about the rest of the roster.

Asik and Lin both have MAJOR spikes in their contracts for the third year, Morey would have to stay busy and find a home for one or both. They both jump up to 15 million after this season i believe. Someone will take Asik though. Avg 11 boards last year, one of the best defensive 7ft's in the league.

Houston with Dwight signing this summer moving forward has A LOT less question marks to the plan than Dallas or LA, that's all im saying. And James Harden doesn't need the spotlight, egotistical baby Dwight can have it.

It's been already said that there's no third year spike. They're getting paid 8 mil approximately per year.

R.I.P.
06-30-2013, 06:54 PM
It's been already said that there's no third year spike. They're getting paid 8 mil approximately per year.

They count against the cap for eight. They get paid 20 over the last two years afaik. 15 in the last year.

PickernRoller
06-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Only thing about all that, is in a world w/out Jerry Buss... Dwight Howard not resigning could be the first domino to fall in the collapse of the Lakers.

Lebron isn't playing for the Lakers in 2014....unless Kobe wants out.

And with Kobe wanting a ring or 2 more before he retires, looks like Lakers better get their shit together quickly because I could finally see Kobe wanting out if the Lakers roster isn't good enough to compete for chips year in year out.

It's going to get very interesting. I think Dwight goes to Houston, and in 2014 Kobe leaves for greener pastures to get his last shot at a 6th championship.

I know the Lakers always find a way to stay at or near the top but I think with Jerry Buss passing that things are gonna change for the worse in La La land. At least for a couple of years.

Lakers collapse possibly. Lebron to the Lakers - of course not(he's staying with Miami). Kobe will retire a Laker - you can take that to the bank.

talkingconch
06-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Lakers will be the best again in next years FA so not sure what Dwight's thinking atm.

Duncan21formvp
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
If the Rockets get him, they will be the top seed out west.

noob cake
06-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Woj is the only NBA source I trust. Make this happen HOU! :rockon:

How does **** does Woj do it? He can break news on just about god damned team.

Fallen Angel
07-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-serve-championship-pitch-at-dinner-with-dwight-howard-094840147.html)

The Houston Rockets' dinner presentation to free-agent center Dwight Howard at the Hotel Bel-Air centered on the franchise's championship history and an infrastructure designed to give Howard a chance at multiple titles, sources with knowledge of the meeting told Yahoo! Sports.

Houston has emerged as the frontrunner to sign the Los Angeles Lakers center, league sources said, and those close to Howard confirmed late Sunday that the Rockets did nothing to dampen Howard's enthusiasm for the possibilities of playing for Houston.

Beyond Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander, general manager Daryl Morey, his front office staff, and coach Kevin McHale, the organization brought Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler to make cases to Howard about ownership's long commitment to winning and its relationships with its iconic players.

"Hakeem didn't say much, but what did he say was very impactful," one source in the room told Yahoo! Sports. Olajuwon talked about the Rockets as a destination for championships and drew upon his own personal relationship with Howard, sources said.

Yao Ming, another former great Rockets center, connected into the meeting from China through Skype and talked to Howard about his experiences with Houston.

Rockets stars James Harden and Chandler Parsons pitched Howard about how they wanted him as a teammate, how the chemistry of the locker room would welcome him. Without bringing up the Los Angeles Lakers, the Rockets could sell two things that the Lakers likely can't: a chance for a close connection with the franchise's star players; and an immediate chance to be a championship contender.

"His main focus was winning and we will give him the best opportunity to do that," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears.

Howard was flanked with his agent, Dan Fegan, and Happy Walters, the CEO of Relativity Media and an agent in the company. What those close to Howard had been saying privately for months was clearly apparent through the probing that Howard did himself with Rockets officials: Winning was his most important priority in the process, and most of the evening was spent discussing how the Rockets had a history of constructing themselves around iconic centers in pursuit of championships.

McHale made it clear to Howard that he planned to build his system around him, and that, ultimately, he would hold Howard accountable every day in the franchise's pursuit of a title. The Rockets had long believed that McHale, a Hall of Fame power forward, would be an immense asset in the recruitment of Howard. Howard had never had a head coach that could identify with him so well, who could literally look him in the eyes.

Rockets officials plan to stay in Los Angels for several days this week, meeting with free agents around the area and staying connected to Howard as he meets with the Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks and ultimately the Los Angeles Lakers.

Agents talking to the Rockets about potential additions to the roster say they're searching for shooters and complementary players to surround Howard. "They're progressing on everything with Dwight in mind," one prominent agent said Sunday night. "They seem very confident."

:applause:

brantonli
07-01-2013, 06:48 AM
"Hakeem didn't say much, but what did he say was very impactful," one source in the room told Yahoo! Sports. Olajuwon talked about the Rockets as a destination for championships and drew upon his own personal relationship with Howard, sources said.

Seriously, was Woj in the room himself? He has sources in like every single big and small trades across the entire NBA.

longtime lurker
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-serve-championship-pitch-at-dinner-with-dwight-howard-094840147.html)

The Houston Rockets' dinner presentation to free-agent center Dwight Howard at the Hotel Bel-Air centered on the franchise's championship history and an infrastructure designed to give Howard a chance at multiple titles, sources with knowledge of the meeting told Yahoo! Sports.

Houston has emerged as the frontrunner to sign the Los Angeles Lakers center, league sources said, and those close to Howard confirmed late Sunday that the Rockets did nothing to dampen Howard's enthusiasm for the possibilities of playing for Houston.

Beyond Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander, general manager Daryl Morey, his front office staff, and coach Kevin McHale, the organization brought Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler to make cases to Howard about ownership's long commitment to winning and its relationships with its iconic players.

Yao Ming, another former great Rockets center, connected into the meeting from China through Skype and talked to Howard about his experiences with Houston.

Rockets stars James Harden and Chandler Parsons pitched Howard about how they wanted him as a teammate, how the chemistry of the locker room would welcome him. Without bringing up the Los Angeles Lakers, the Rockets could sell two things that the Lakers likely can't: a chance for a close connection with the franchise's star players; and an immediate chance to be a championship contender.

"His main focus was winning and we will give him the best opportunity to do that," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears.

Howard was flanked with his agent, Dan Fegan, and Happy Walters, the CEO of Relativity Media and an agent in the company. What those close to Howard had been saying privately for months was clearly apparent through the probing that Howard did himself with Rockets officials: Winning was his most important priority in the process, and most of the evening was spent discussing how the Rockets had a history of constructing themselves around iconic centers in pursuit of championships.

McHale made it clear to Howard that he planned to build his system around him, and that, ultimately, he would hold Howard accountable every day in the franchise's pursuit of a title. The Rockets had long believed that McHale, a Hall of Fame power forward, would be an immense asset in the recruitment of Howard. Howard had never had a head coach that could identify with him so well, who could literally look him in the eyes.

Rockets officials plan to stay in Los Angels for several days this week, meeting with free agents around the area and staying connected to Howard as he meets with the Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks and ultimately the Los Angeles Lakers.

Agents talking to the Rockets about potential additions to the roster say they're searching for shooters and complementary players to surround Howard. "They're progressing on everything with Dwight in mind," one prominent agent said Sunday night. "They seem very confident."

:applause:

I wonder if they mentioned that Morey trades players like pokemon cards in the whole "building a championship" spiel

SCREWstonRockets
07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I never understand why people argue for Houston with Harden and Parsons being younger than Dirk and Kobe. Next summer the Lakers and Mavs have over 20 million dollars in capspace, when Dirk and Kobe (possibly Gasol) will sign huge value deals. Then the new question could become would you rather play with

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Asik

or

Nash
Kobe
Melo
Gasol

or

Larkin
Ellis
LeBron
Dirk