Dirk

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-02-2013, 03:29 AM
Wade ('09)
Kobe
Dirk
Durant
Mcgrady

Not sure if Durant has peaked yet, but you're splitting hairs after Kobe and Wade.

Derivative
07-02-2013, 03:31 AM
1) Wade (09)
2) T-Mac (03)
3) Kobe (06)
4) Dirk (06)
5) Durant (12)

Rysio
07-02-2013, 03:39 AM
peak wade >>> peak kobe? lol i'll take broken down on 1 leg kobe from 2010 over any wade any day. you stat nerds need to stop.

WayOfWade
07-02-2013, 03:45 AM
peak wade >>> peak kobe? lol i'll take broken down on 1 leg kobe from 2010 over any wade any day. you stat nerds need to stop.
I almost never insult anyone, but you are stupid. Kobe stopped playing defense in 2010, and Wade has been better than Kobe every year since 2009 (except 2013). I wouldn't quite rank Wade's peak over Kobe's, I'd need to do more research, but you are going over the top with this.

LEFT4DEAD
07-02-2013, 03:47 AM
There is very small amount of players who can compare with that 09' Wade, and I dont see any of them listed hier. I would take only couple of prime Jordan' seasons, prime Shaq's, 1 or 2 Lebron's over him and thats about it. Guy was incredible.

Wade 09

TMac

Kobe

Dirk
Durant

lilblingy
07-02-2013, 03:52 AM
1. 06 Kobe
2. 09 Wade
3. 03 T-mac

4. 06 Dirk
5. 13 Durant

Random_Guy
07-02-2013, 03:52 AM
There is very small amount of players who can compare with that 09' Wade, and I dont see any of them listed hier. I would take only couple of prime Jordan' seasons, prime Shaq's, 1 or 2 Lebron's over him and thats about it. Guy was incredible.

Wade 09

TMac

Kobe

Dirk
Durant
Agree with Wade, but IMHO dont really see TMac being ahead of Kobe, I hate the dude but 06Kobe and 3peat PO Kobe was quite the player. This doesnt take anything away from TMac, I just think Kobe was the better player. Cant go wrong with either one, but the gap isnt as big as you list anyway.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-02-2013, 03:53 AM

I almost never insult anyone, but you are stupid. Kobe stopped playing defense in 2010, and Wade has been better than Kobe every year since 2009 (except 2013). I wouldn't quite rank Wade's peak over Kobe's, I'd need to do more research, but you are going over the top with this.
Yeah I don't quite get what's going on here... what "research" is there to do? ppl actually watch or attend games, right? We going by the eye test? Or is this based of stats only? :confusedshrug:

Rysio
07-02-2013, 03:53 AM

Wade 09

TMac

Kobe

Dirk
Durant

yea too bad he couldnt get past those incredible hawks in the playoffs. such a bad luck to run into an all time great team in the first round while having such a great season. :(

LuigiChambles
07-02-2013, 03:54 AM
1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Dirk
4. McGrady
5. Durant

I put Durant on 5 since his game will still improve and hasn't peak yet.

WayOfWade
07-02-2013, 03:57 AM
Yeah I don't quite get what's going on here... what "research" is there to do? ppl actually watch or attend games, right? We going by the eye test? Or is this based of stats only? :confusedshrug:
Well, there is stats research, and there's watching. Stats aren't everything, they're a piece of the puzzle, same as the eye test. I've seen both players live on multiple occasions, and seen many highlights of each, this just isn't a topic I've taken time to really go over.

BlazerRed
07-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Durant is 24 years old.

:biggums:

BuGzBuNNy
07-02-2013, 04:03 AM
All I know is that Kobe is first and Wade and Durant round out the top three. I can see an argument for Dirk over Durant but thats it.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Well, there is stats research, and there's watching. Stats aren't everything, they're a piece of the puzzle, same as the eye test. I've seen both players live on multiple occasions, and seen many highlights of each, this just isn't a topic I've taken time to really go over.
Yeah, stats matter, you're right. But All 5 of those players have put up monsters stats at some point in their careers. So I'd assume it just has to go to the eye test of their skill, performances, tools, etc. Players tend to be more "impressive" in person, imo (hell, I think it's a general fact, not just imo) and coincidentally Wade's the only player on the list I haven't seen in person.

Don't get me wrong, Wade has been godly for sure. But when I think of prime Kobe? Prime TMac and his ability to score at any time anywhere on the floor? Peak Durant and his pure scoring ability along w/ his size, speed, off-ball defense? Peak older Dirk being able to post, stretch the floor, drive, even rebound? I suppose they just impressed me more than Wade.

Maybe I value shooting too much? Maybe I value pure scoring ability too much (despite my love for defense)? Maybe I value size too much? But I'd still take the other 4 at their peak than Wade. But, I suppose that's why we all have our own rankings. :cheers:

KG215
07-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Don't feel comfortable ranking Durant since he probably hasn't peaked yet. Unless he bucks tradition and peaks at 24 instead of later 20's like all the others; well, except for T-Mac who was around 24 when he peaked, but never being able to stay healthy after that played a role. I do think Durant just had a top 25ish all-time peak season, but he should be even better going forward.

As for the other players, and this is very subjective and I don't have any real defined list outside of the top 5 or 10, but I do think the other 4 players had, at the very least, top 25 all-time peaks. Kobe and Wade are closer to top 15 while McGrady and Dirk are a bit lower, in the 16-25 range somewhere. I'd probably go Kobe, Wade, Dirk, and McGrady in that order. I think it's a little tough to judge Wade and T-Mac because they had absolute garbage supporting casts when they were at their absolute peak; maybe Kobe, too, if you think 2006 was his peak, but I thought he was a better all-around/two-way player in 2008 than 2006, and he was great in the playoffs until he ran into the Celtics in the Finals.

And Dirk's a confusing one, too, because I think he was at his best in the regular season in 2007, but that season ended with a 1st round loss. But he played the best basketball of his career in the 2011 playoffs, so pegging his peak is a little tough, too. For this argument, it also kinda sucks that Westbrook got hurt, because we didn't get a fair chance to see Durant, after his brilliant regular season, perform in another deep playoff run. I mean he was great individually after Westbrook went down, but the team as a whole struggled to find its identity and struggled adjusting on the fly in a playoff setting after losing their highest usage player.

ShaqAttack3234
07-02-2013, 04:26 AM
1.Kobe ('06 or '08)
2.T-Mac ('03)
3.Wade ('09)
4.Durant ('13 so far)
5.Dirk ('06, '07 or '11)

KG215
07-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Durant is 24 years old.

:biggums:
Yeah, and if you go by other great players, they generally peaked in their later 20's or their early 30's. Statistically they don't necessarily improve (plenty have actually had a small drop-off statistically) but they get stronger mentally and put that aspect of the game with their physical tools while they're still young enough to utilize those tools. It started this year, but I think Durant will continue to improve as a defender and playmaker, and will continue to probably play at or close to this level another 5+ seasons.

aj1987
07-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Wade
Kobe
Durant
T-Mac
Dirk
3, 4, and 5 are interchangeable.

yea too bad he couldnt get past those incredible hawks in the playoffs. such a bad luck to run into an all time great team in the first round while having such a great season. :(
With Beasley as his second best player? Outside of Wade, that team sucked ass on defense and offense.

T-Mac gets kinda overrated here. Dude could score and all, but couldn't defend to save his life. It's like the only think ISH cares about it scoring.

SamuraiSWISH
07-02-2013, 04:32 AM
1.Kobe ('06 or '08)
2.T-Mac ('03)
3.Wade ('09)
4.Durant ('13 so far)
5.Dirk ('06, '07 or '11)
IMO, that's a pretty good list

2008 Kobe is tops because of what he did with the Lakers, and how far he took them. Even before they got Gasol. Pretty good balance of individual dominance, while also being a mature team leader. Probably the best balance of Kobe's entire career apart from his 2001 playoffs.

2006 Kobe, 2009 Wade, and 2003 McGrady are all pretty much on the same level. Incredible individual season with terrible supporting casts and got bounced in the first round. You could argue any one of these guy's over the other. At the end of the day, neither one truly separated themselves from one another. Along w/ 2008 Kobe, probably the three best seasons from a guard post MJ. Maybe you could throw in 2001 Iverson or 2006 Iverson as well.

2009 Wade probably had the best all around numbers, 2003 McGrady had the best playoff series, 2006 Kobe had the most impressive individual games.

Dirk and Durant are both very similar as well. I rank those two on the same level as players. In fact Durant is a slightly more versatile offensive threat than Dirk. But very similar indeed.

magic chiongson
07-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Tmac
Kobe
Wade
Durant
Dirk

this

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-02-2013, 04:47 AM
T-Mac gets kinda overrated here. Dude could score and all, but couldn't defend to save his life. It's like the only think ISH cares about it scoring.
well, w/ all due respect, I think most coaches realize you can't win unless your players can put the ball in the bucket, as much as they may preach defense. Scoring capability is a pretty necessary part of the game. So while I love defense as much as the next guy, I can understand why ppl (myself included) place such a value on elite scorers.

Plus, you can teach great defense to almost anyone. It's about footwork, effort, understanding the opponent, etc. I don't think you can teach great scoring to just anyone. That's just a "gift" for most elite scorers. Therefore it kind of has a bigger "awe factor" if you will. And of course, by "elite scorer" I mean someone who is multi-faceted in their game, making them harder to defend - can score in more ways than just 1 or 2.

AintNoSunshine
07-02-2013, 05:12 AM
1a Kobe
1b Wade
2 Dirk
3 Tmac

can't say about Durant, hasn't hit his prime yet

aj1987
07-02-2013, 05:13 AM
well, w/ all due respect, I think most coaches realize you can't win unless your players can put the ball in the bucket, as much as they may preach defense. Scoring capability is a pretty necessary part of the game. So while I love defense as much as the next guy, I can understand why ppl (myself included) place such a value on elite scorers.

Plus, you can teach great defense to almost anyone. It's about footwork, effort, understanding the opponent, etc. I don't think you can teach great scoring to just anyone. That's just a "gift" for most elite scorers. Therefore it kind of has a bigger "awe factor" if you will. And of course, by "elite scorer" I mean someone who is multi-faceted in their game, making them harder to defend - can score in more ways than just 1 or 2.
But wouldn't it be a plus to have a player who is an elite scorer and and elite defender? The best season T-Mac had, he scored 2.x points more than Wade (2009). I would take Wade any day over T-Mac, because Wade gives me elite defense. An all-in-one package. You sure can teach anyone elite defense, but they won't give you 30 PPG to go along with the defensive effort.

T-Mac could score a ton (only 2 more PPG than Wade, during their best seasons). What what good is all that scoring, when you can't help your team win. Granted he had some really bad teams, he couldn't take the '05 Rockets (with prime Yao) past the Mavs.

This is why I think pure scorers get overrated. I would rather have a player who can score (25-30 PPG) and play elite defense, over a player who can only score.

OTT: Kobe and Wade are interchangeable. Should've put them as 1a and 1b.

Aussie Dunker
07-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Dirk has probably had the lowest peak (the other players have had ridiculously insane peaks) but I feel Dirk has been the most consistant at achieving a level of play at or very close to his peak. I think Dirk was at the top of his game for about 10 years - which is hard to do...

$LakerGold
07-02-2013, 05:21 AM
LOL @ HEAT FANS PUTTING WADE OVER KOBE :lol It's so hilarious.

1. Kobe
2. McGrady
3. Wade
4. Durant
5. Nowitzki

Sorry, but, Wade wasn't as unstoppable as T-Mac.... I grew up watching these two & T-mac is ahead by 5 points. It could change if D-Wade moves to a different team.

Jacks3
Kobe (06)
T-Mac (03)
Wade (09)
Durant (13)
Dirk (06)

$LakerGold
Dirk has probably had the lowest peak (the other players have had ridiculously insane peaks) but I feel Dirk has been the most consistant at achieving a level of play at or very close to his peak. I think Dirk was at the top of his game for about 10 years - which is hard to do...
Kobe?

Jacks3
07-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Wade 09

TMac

Kobe

Dirk
Durant
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Jacks3
07-02-2013, 05:23 AM
1.Kobe ('06 or '08)
2.T-Mac ('03)
3.Wade ('09)
4.Durant ('13 so far)
5.Dirk ('06, '07 or '11)
Good list.

$LakerGold
07-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Us Laker fans have the same list. Holy shit, that's funny:lol

aj1987
07-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Sorry, but, Wade wasn't as unstoppable as T-Mac.... I grew up watching these two & T-mac is ahead by 5 points. It could change if D-Wade moves to a different team.
Wade T-Mac
30.2 32.1
5.0 6.5
7.5 5.5
2.2 1.7
1.3 0.8
49.1% 45.7%
31.7% 38.6%
76.5% 79.3%
Only because you guys like TS% so much,
57.4% 56.4%
How exactly was Wade more stoppable. He scored only 2 points less then T-Mac, but with better efficiency. Pretty similar stats. Also, lets not forget that Wade is/was a really good defender. T-Mac was a ghost on defense.

Jacks3
07-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Wade wasn't more efficient than T-Mac. It's the other way around actually.

You have to remember that offensive numbers in 2003 were much lower than in 2009 because of hand-checking.

League average TS% in 2003: 51.9% (+4.5 relative to league average for T-Mac)

League average TS% in 2009: 54.2% (+3.2 for Wade)

03 T-Mac was ****ing incredible. :bowdown:

Aussie Dunker
07-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Kobe?

That is a fair call, but Dirk has been the #1 option just as long as Kobe, and the only reason I say Dirk is because he consitantly carries his team to 50+ win seasons, where as Kobe didn't lead his team into the playoffs in the mid 00's, and just scrapped the #8 seed this year.

I give Dirk the consistancy edge, but Kobe is by far #1 on the list if we are talking "peaks". No question at all.

Kobe
Tmac
Durant
Wade
Dirk

TheBigVeto
07-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Dirk
KD
T-Mac
D-Whistle
Kobe

aj1987
07-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Dirk
KD
T-Mac
D-Whistle
Kobe
I know that these lists are subject to bias and what people rank higher in a player, but this is literally the worst list EVER!

eklip
07-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Playoffs:

1. Wade(06) and Dirk (06 and 11)
3. Kobe (09 and 10) and Durant (12)
5. McGrady (01-05)

cos88
07-02-2013, 08:14 AM
spanoulis
kobe for regular season / wade for 2006 playoffs
dirk
mcgrady
durant

LEFT4DEAD
07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Hawks were just too good team at home. They took the 08' Celtics to 7 games if I remember correctly, just because the Celtics were not able to beat them on their court. Now to except just Wade, with two rookies + Marion and idk who else to beat them away is unfair, if we see that 3 HOFers on one team were not able to do that. At least he fought till the end, not like Kobe against Suns who gave up 3-1 lead and choked hard.

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Anyone that has Tmac over Wade has a serious agenda going on. Wade won a title with Shaq and a bunch of old role players. As far as im concerned, Wade and Dirk are at the top of this list. Tmac and Kobe at their peaks couldn't even get there teams past the first round. Wade and Dirk both took sub par teams to the Finals.

magic chiongson
07-02-2013, 08:46 AM
kinda overrated here. Dude could score and all, but couldn't defend to save his life. It's like the only think ISH cares about it scoring.
tmac could defend 4 positions. might have mistaken his defensive ability for vince carter's

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Playoffs:

1. Wade(06) and Dirk (06 and 11)
3. Kobe (09 and 10) and Durant (12)
5. McGrady (01-05)

This right here is the correct answer. Wade and Dirk are 1A and 1B imo. Kobe, Durant, and McGrady just weren't on the same level when it came to overall team impact.

theoneneo
07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Anyone that has Tmac over Wade has a serious agenda going on. Wade won a title with Shaq and a bunch of old role players. As far as im concerned, Wade and Dirk are at the top of this list. Tmac and Kobe at their peaks couldn't even get there teams past the first round. Wade and Dirk both took sub par teams to the Finals.

Yea but, Wade's peak was 09.... he also failed to get his team past the first round :facepalm

K Xerxes
07-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Kobe 06
Wade 09
Tmac 03
Dirk 06/07
Durant 13 (yet to be determined)

Very close between Wade and Tmac for 2nd. Kobe slightly ahead of both.

NBASTATMAN
07-02-2013, 11:10 AM
KOBE 2006-7
WADE 09
DIRK 2011
DURANT
TMAC :rockon:

I gave the edge to Kobe cuz he strung together a couple of dominant seasons.

FKAri
07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
1. Kobe
2. Wade

3. Dirk
4. TMac

5. Durant

fpliii
07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Wade
Kobe
Durant
Dirk
TMac

If you combine Kobe's defensive peak with his offensive peak he takes the top spot pretty easily (he wins for overall prime too). Durant almost certainly hasn't peaked yet, so it's unfair to him (still 3rd though).

derb2k2
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
can we just ban all lakers' and Kobe fans from entering these discussions with their bias? You guys are really sick with your homerism. disgusting.

riseagainst
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
^^^^

mad. :oldlol:

fpliii
07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
can we just ban all lakers' and Kobe fans from entering these discussions with their bias? You guys are really sick with your homerism. disgusting.

Putting Kobe 2nd is homerism?

Doctor Rivers
07-02-2013, 11:50 AM

lol like the other side isn't the same way

branslowski
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM

So I guess Kobe haters with their bias should be banned to right? With all their haterism.

MAC system
07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
T Mac is criminally underrated in this thread. He is really the only one with even a slight argument over kobe in terms of peak. After that comes wade then dirk then durant. Pretty easy list imo

8BeastlyXOIAD
07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Dirk murk it in the finals he is top 2 at worst

Papaya Petee
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
09 Wade
06 Kobe
03 T-Mac
13 Durant
06 Dirk

MJ23forever
07-02-2013, 12:41 PM
2008 Kobe
2003 T-Mac
2009 Wade
2013 Durant (so far)
2006/2007 Dirk

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
2008 Kobe
2003 T-Mac
2009 Wade
2013 Durant (so far)
2006/2007 Dirk

Why aren't you posting on your Ne_1 account?

tmacattack33
07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
2009 Wade (or you could go with 2006)
2007 Kobe
2003 T-mac
2013 Durant
2008 Dirk

Now if you want to count the 2011 Playoffs as Dirk's peak, it may go ahead of basically all of these guys. But I don't know if we want to call 20 games in the playoffs...we need more games...and in the regular season of 2011 he wasn't that great, and in the regular season of 2012 he wasn't good at all, and in the playoffs of 2012 he was not memorable.

I mean peak Danny Green from games 1 to games 5 in the Finals sure looked good...but that's not his peak that was an aberration and he may never even make an all-star team.

PickernRoller
07-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Kobe

Wade

Dirk

Rest.

First page - all Lebrontards how cute.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-02-2013, 01:53 PM
But wouldn't it be a plus to have a player who is an elite scorer and and elite defender? The best season T-Mac had, he scored 2.x points more than Wade (2009). I would take Wade any day over T-Mac, because Wade gives me elite defense. An all-in-one package. You sure can teach anyone elite defense, but they won't give you 30 PPG to go along with the defensive effort.

it's an interesting subject, b/c as a coach or player, I'd definitely prefer Wade on my team than TMac. Wade is a better defender, passer, rebounder, hustler, etc. But by simply evaluating the overall skill and natural talent level, I still think TMac was better than Wade.

As for Wade being an "elite scorer", I'd say he was more of a "crafty scorer", even in 08-09. I mean, I don't remember him being a legitimate threat outside of midrange. His overall speed and athleticism wasn't as good as the other players in all of their primes. He was definitely more of a cerebral scrorer than TMac, but TMac was just pure talent w/ his scoring, imo. Yeah Wade was the better defender, team player, rebounder, etc, but if a player can score in every way possible, like TMac once could, I have a certain higher "respect" for that, as it's just so rare and hard to do.

Again, don't get me wrong, I place a high value on defense. But someone who is just a pure natural scorer anywhere on the floor is just more of a "wow" experience to me.

secund2nun
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Dirk
Durant
Wade
Tmac
Kobe

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Kobe

Wade

Dirk

Rest.

First page - all Lebrontards how cute.

Shh, show some self respect. :lol

brain drain
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
It's Dirk, then Wade, then the rest.

In Order:

1) Dirks peak was the 4th quarters of the 2011 playoffs, and it was like he activated the cheat code for a computer game. Nobody could stop him, there was nothing the other team could do. Those 4th quarters, against extremely tough opposition and at that cheat-code perfection are the gold standard for "peak". It really counts, and nothing can stop you.

2) Wade's peak was probably the 2006 playoffs, and it was like the refs activated the cheat code for a computer game. Nobody could stop him there was nothing the other team could do. It was almost like the gold standard for "peak" with the sole exception that the refs activated the cheat code and without them, it wouldn't have happened. But with the refs, he was probably the most unstoppable force in NBA history and it happened when it mattered.

3) Durant has done enough to know that he's a force, but he still has most of his career in front of him, that's why I place him here.

4) Kobe's peak was against the Raptors and it happened in January. That's all you need to know. He can be great, and when the game really comes to him, he's not shy to take 46 shots and score 81 against the lottery bound raptors. But his peak happened when it didn't matter and when it mattered he always had the best front court in the NBA to do the mattering for him. He got there, but he was more a passenger than the driver.

5) TMac's prime was the regular season, and he never got anywhere when it mattered. This guy does't even have a relevant prime, unless you're a reg season stat junkie.

riseagainst
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM

In Order:

1) Dirks peak was the 4th quarters of the 2011 playoffs, and it was like he activated the cheat code for a computer game. Nobody could stop him, there was nothing the other team could do. Those 4th quarters, against extremely tough opposition and at that cheat-code perfection are the gold standard for "peak". It really counts, and nothing can stop you.

2) Wade's peak was probably the 2006 playoffs, and it was like the refs activated the cheat code for a computer game. Nobody could stop him there was nothing the other team could do. It was almost like the gold standard for "peak" with the sole exception that the refs activated the cheat code and without them, it wouldn't have happened. But with the refs, he was probably the most unstoppable force in NBA history and it happened when it mattered.

3) Durant has done enough to know that he's a force, but he still has most of his career in front of him, that's why I place him here.

4) Kobe's peak was against the Raptors and it happened in January. That's all you need to know. He can be great, and when the game really comes to him, he's not shy to take 46 shots and score 81 against the lottery bound raptors. But his peak happened when it didn't matter and when it mattered he always had the best front court in the NBA to do the mattering for him. He got there, but he was more a passenger than the driver.

5) TMac's prime was the regular season, and he never got anywhere when it mattered. This guy does't even have a relevant prime, unless you're a reg season stat junkie.

:roll:

good trolling. :oldlol:

brain drain
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
:roll:

good trolling. :oldlol:

You call it trolling, I shall call it THE COLD AND NAKED TRUTH! TMac lovers repent! Kobe sinners abdict! DWade heretics pray to Joe Crawford!

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Im sorry, but Dirk>>>>Kobe.

Dirk took two crap teams to the Finals. Kobe can't get past the first round without the most stacked frontcourt in the league

secund2nun
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Dirk took two crap teams to the Finals. Kobe can't get past the first round without the most stacked frontcourt in the league

This is the TRUTH that people try to ignore by sticking their heads in the sand. Kobe's stats on his loaded teams aren't even that great and clearcut batman like. Gasol was the 2010 finals MVP. Kobe = most overrated ever

aj1987
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
2) Wade's peak was probably the 2006 playoffs, and it was like the refs activated the cheat code for a computer game. Nobody could stop him there was nothing the other team could do. It was almost like the gold standard for "peak" with the sole exception that the refs activated the cheat code and without them, it woludn't have happened. But with the refs, he was probably the most unstoppable force in NBA history and it happened when it mattered. The only reason he's #2 is because he needed the refs to activate the cheat code, otherwise he would even be beyond Jordan.
Seriously? Dirk is one of the most babied players in the league. Dude gets more phantom calls than any other player, and he gets them off of jump shots. He is the true definition of a "CREATED" superstar. Al least Wade got his from driving the lanes relentlessly.

FYI, Wade (for his career) averages fewer FT's than most other superstars.

brain drain
07-02-2013, 04:13 PM
That's only because he spent more career time in a wheel chair than most other super stars.

The other part of your post doesn't even merit comment, thank you Sir!

Nash
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Kobe
Wade
T-Mac
Durant
Dirk

DirkNowitzki41
07-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Seriously? Dirk is one of the most babied players in the league. Dude gets more phantom calls than any other player, and he gets them off of jump shots. He is the true definition of a "CREATED" superstar. Al least Wade got his from driving the lanes relentlessly.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dumbest post of all time right here. gtfo bandwagon kid

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Kobe
Wade
T-Mac
Durant
Dirk

Wow.

Heavincent
07-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Hilarious how people use a 3 year stretch to discredit Kobe's entire career. The best part is that he was the best player in the league for 2 out of those 3 years :oldlol:

brain drain
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Hilarious how people use a 3 year stretch to discredit Kobe's entire career. The best part is that he was the best player in the league for 2 out of those 3 years :oldlol:
As I said, Kobe could be great, as long as the weather was right, his teammates were deferring, the opponent was submissive and the season was regular...

aj1987
07-02-2013, 04:53 PM
That's only because he spent more career time in a wheel chair than most other super stars.

The other part of your post doesn't even merit comment, thank you Sir!
What part of "averages" do you not understand? For a guy with no jump shot and for a guy who gets most of his points in the paint, he should be averaging more FT's.
Also, Dirk averages ~6 FT's in the Regular Season and 8 in the playoffs. Wade averages ~8 in the Regualr season and 8 in the playoffs.

@DirkNowitzki41, Dirk is a bitch and I stand by it. He's one of the few players that I can't stand in the NBA.

brain drain
07-02-2013, 05:00 PM
What part of "averages" do you not understand? For a guy with no jump shot and for a guy who gets most of his points in the paint, he should be averaging more FT's.
Also, Dirk averages ~6 FT's in the Regular Season and 8 in the playoffs. Wade averages ~8 in the Regualr season and 8 in the playoffs.

That kind of stuff is quite stupid when you compare
- a player who made much of his living out of running into other players and getting the call
- a player who opponents tried to "rough up" to take him off his game and out of his rhythm.

You decide which type of player gets his FTs deservedly and which doesn't.

TonyMontana
07-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Good post

This is why Dirk and Wade are the clear cut best. I'll take Dirk first. Even when he won the title in 2011, Dallas was was 2-7 (.222) without Dirk, 1-3 (.250) with a getting-into-shape Dirk, and 54-15 (.783 with a healthy Dirk. When your looking back it is almost robbery that Rose won MVP over him and Dirk only finished 6th in voting.

Kobe and McGrady are easily last. Don't really care who the stans want to rank ahead of the other, both of them are irrelevant unless you have prime hall of fame centers on their teams. Too inefficient.

aj1987
07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
That kind of stuff is quite stupid when you compare
- a player who made much of his living out of running into other players and getting the call
- a player who opponents tried to "rough up" to take him off his game and out of his rhythm.

You decide which type of player gets his FTs deservedly and which doesn't.
Both sound like Wade. He runs into defenders a lot to get calls and he also gets hammered a lot. People foul him hard to make sure that he doesn't get a shot up, 'cause he's known to make circus shots.

Fun Fact: Wade was among the PF's and C's, last season, when it came to points scored in the paint, yet he averaged lesser FT's than most jump shooters.

tmacattack33
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM

In Order:

One playoff run does not count as a peak. He was not that great in that year's regular season, and the following year he fell apart.

Wade was great in the 2005 regular season, 2005 playoffs, 2006 regular season, and 2006 playoffs. That's a peak, not an aberration or a random month long stretch of being hot at the right time.

DirkNowitzki41
07-02-2013, 05:30 PM

@DirkNowitzki41, Dirk is a bitch and I stand by it. He's one of the few players that I can't stand in the NBA.

so if you hate him then ok... it doesnt mean he is a 'created' superstar. such disrespect.

man doesnt get love from the refs at all. if you actually watched dirk, you would know he attacks the basket enough and his fts arent from jump shots...

aj1987
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
so if you hate him then ok... it doesnt mean he is a 'created' superstar. such disrespect.

man doesnt get love from the refs at all. if you actually watched dirk, you would know he attacks the basket enough and his fts arent from jump shots...

I did and I still do watch him play. You can't be serious that Dirk goes into the paint more than Wade. One of the reasons I "hate" (should've phrased it properly before. I actually like his game still don't like him though) him is because people assume (as the previous poster) that Wade gets carried by the ref's. In reality, Wade averages lesser amount of FT's in the playoffs, compared to the Regular Season and Dirk averages more.

DirkNowitzki41
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
I did and I still do watch him play. You can't be serious that Dirk goes into the paint more than Wade. One of the reasons I "hate" (should've phrased it properly before. I actually like his game still don't like him though) him is because people assume (as the previous poster) that Wade gets carried by the ref's. In reality, Wade averages lesser amount of FT's in the playoffs, compared to the Regular Season and Dirk averages more.

I didn't say he goes to the paint more than wade because he obviously doesn't. but that doesnt mean he never attacks the basket.

alright, i hear you. but its not always dirk fans who claim the 06 series was rigged. as a mavs fan, i have no problem admitting wade killed us that series. there were some bad calls, but not enough to put down his performance. wade is still one my fav players of all time :cheers:

aj1987
07-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I didn't say he goes to the paint more than wade because he obviously doesn't. but that doesnt mean he never attacks the basket.

alright, i hear you. but its not always dirk fans who claim the 06 series was rigged. as a mavs fan, i have no problem admitting wade killed us that series. there were some bad calls, but not enough to put down his performance. wade is still one my fav players of all time :cheers:
That I can live with. I only go all out, when people try to pin the loss on the refs. There were some bad calls, but not enough for the Heat to win. The Mav's did choke a bit. Howard and Dirk missed critical FT's. If they made them, Dirk would've been a 2x champion and 2x FMVP. Top 12 all time. :cheers:

The only reason I don't like Dirk is because of the rivalry and also the way he hit clutch shots and kicked our ass in the 2011 Finals. :D

secund2nun
07-02-2013, 06:22 PM

What ever myth helps you sleep at night.

LOL First round knockout Kobe was never anywhere close to the best player in the NBA. Just be happy he was gifted a undeserving MVP award and a undeserving 2010 finals MVP.

secund2nun
07-02-2013, 06:23 PM
As I said, Kobe could be great, as long as the weather was right, his teammates were deferring, the opponent was submissive and the season was regular...

Or maybe they won because Kobe was great along with Gasol who was also great, and then Bynum, Odom and Phil as coach...A TEAM.

MaxFly
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
1. Bryant ('06, '07, '08)
2. D. Wade ('09, '06)
3. T-Mac ('03)
4. Durant ('13)
5. Dirk ('06, '11)

ShaqAttack3234
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
2008 Kobe is tops because of what he did with the Lakers, and how far he took them. Even before they got Gasol. Pretty good balance of individual dominance, while also being a mature team leader. Probably the best balance of Kobe's entire career apart from his 2001 playoffs.

Yeah, I've often compared Kobe's approach and all around game that year to his play during the '01 playoffs. Except the '08 version had a more diverse skill set in addition to that and had really grown into more of the leadership role with a younger cast around him.

2006 Kobe, 2009 Wade, and 2003 McGrady are all pretty much on the same level. Incredible individual season with terrible supporting casts and got bounced in the first round. You could argue any one of these guy's over the other. At the end of the day, neither one truly separated themselves from one another. Along w/ 2008 Kobe, probably the three best seasons from a guard post MJ. Maybe you could throw in 2001 Iverson or 2006 Iverson as well.

2009 Wade probably had the best all around numbers, 2003 McGrady had the best playoff series, 2006 Kobe had the most impressive individual games.

Agreed, you can pretty much pick any of those 3 seasons. Very similar as far as individual ability and dominance in addition to team success.

I picked Kobe simply because I like his skill set the best, and because I think averaging 35 for an entire year and watching how he did it was the most impressive. Everyone knew he was going to come out gunning for 40-50 points most nights and the results were performances like 81, 62 in 3 quarters, too many 50+ games to name off the top of my head ect.

With Wade and T-Mac I could really flip a coin. Wade has the advantage defensively, but T-Mac's offensive game was more impressive to me. Watching McGrady at the time was pretty amazing because he had the streak scoring ability Kobe did, and was pretty consistent as well.

As much shit as T-Mac gets these days from fans, I haven't seen many players who had the skill set and individual ability he had. He really was one of those players who regularly beat teams in every way imaginable and from everywhere on the court. One of my favorite games from him was the 46/10/13 he put up on the Nets because they tried putting both guards and forwards on him, and good defenders at that and nobody could even slow him down. Not a very good defensive SG like Kerry Kittles, or an athletic power forward like K-Mart. And that game was actually after he had just dropped 52 in 3 quarters the game before.

Dirk and Durant are both very similar as well. I rank those two on the same level as players. In fact Durant is a slightly more versatile offensive threat than Dirk. But very similar indeed

I pretty much agree with this as well. Durant is the more athletic player and clearly has more ability as a ball-handler, though both are at their best when they play off the ball and focus on scoring first and foremost, we saw this in the playoffs when Westbrook went down.

One playoff run does not count as a peak. He was not that great in that year's regular season, and the following year he fell apart.

Wade was great in the 2005 regular season, 2005 playoffs, 2006 regular season, and 2006 playoffs. That's a peak, not an aberration or a random month long stretch of being hot at the right time.

Dirk had a very good and underrated regular season in '11. It doesn't stand out as much because he's had a number of them like it, but he still led Dallas to 57 wins and they were only 2-7 without him.

Wade was not at his peak in 2005. He was the best player in the '05 playoffs before his injury, but I wouldn't even call '05 part of Wade's prime, much less his peak.

Fudge
07-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Kobe
Wade
Durant
McGrady
Dirk

SamuraiSWISH
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Depends on what you define as Kobe's peak, and it's difficult to do given the circumstances of his career.

1) Kobe's 2008

2) Kobe's 2003 / 2006
Wade's 2009
T-Mac's 2003

3) Dirk's 2006

I'm not sure Durant has peaked yet.

ReturnofJPR
07-02-2013, 07:53 PM
1) Kobe
2) Dirk

3) Wade
4)T-Mac

5) Durant

ShaqAttack3234
07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Depends on what you define as Kobe's peak, and it's difficult to do given the circumstances of his career.

1) Kobe's 2008

2) Kobe's 2003 / 2006
Wade's 2009
T-Mac's 2003

3) Dirk's 2006

If it's 2003 for Kobe then I give T-Mac a slight edge. Watching them both during that season, I thought they were virtually even as a players, but I give T-Mac the tiebreaker because I thought he had the better season from start to finish.

Dirk's peak is difficult. '11 playoff run was his best, but he was having a playoff run at roughly the same level in '06 prior to the finals, and clearly had a better regular season while being younger, more athletic and a better rebounder.

The best I've actually seen Dirk as a player was the '07 regular season, but the Warriors series takes that out of the running for his best season.

All things considered, '06 is a good choice for his peak.

As far as Durant, considering he's only 24, I'd be surprised if he's peaked already barring injuries.

DMAVS41
07-02-2013, 08:46 PM
If it's 2003 for Kobe then I give T-Mac a slight edge. Watching them both during that season, I thought they were virtually even as a players, but I give T-Mac the tiebreaker because I thought he had the better season from start to finish.

Dirk's peak is difficult. '11 playoff run was his best, but he was having a playoff run at roughly the same level in '06 prior to the finals, and clearly had a better regular season while being younger, more athletic and a better rebounder.

The best I've actually seen Dirk as a player was the '07 regular season, but the Warriors series takes that out of the running for his best season.

All things considered, '06 is a good choice for his peak.

As far as Durant, considering he's only 24, I'd be surprised if he's peaked already barring injuries.

I actually lean towards 09 being the year I thought Dirk's game was at it's best. Very tough for him though to determine his best year.

But in 09 I really feel like he had everything in his game going and still had young legs.

amfirst
07-02-2013, 11:10 PM
2006 Kobe is insane man, playing 3-4 vs 1 night in and night out. Too bad he had no scorers but himself that season.

Droid101
07-02-2013, 11:24 PM

1) Kobe's 2008

2) Kobe's 2003 / 2006
Wade's 2009
T-Mac's 2003

3) Dirk's 2006

:applause:

ShaqAttack3234
07-03-2013, 04:56 AM
I actually lean towards 09 being the year I thought Dirk's game was at it's best. Very tough for him though to determine his best year.

But in 09 I really feel like he had everything in his game going and still had young legs.

Yeah, '09 is up there as well. I just thought that factoring in his mid-range game, approach and shot selection, rebounding, defense, passing and while having his youth and athleticism at 28 years old, 2007 was the best I've seen him as an overall player. It's a shame his playoff series kind of taints that season compared to his other years. Pretty much the same player in '09, though and he was great in the playoffs. Unfortunately, that was the worst team of his '06-'11 years with that core from the finals team and the 67 win team aging and falling apart to some extent.

DMAVS41
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Yeah, '09 is up there as well. I just thought that factoring in his mid-range game, approach and shot selection, rebounding, defense, passing and while having his youth and athleticism at 28 years old, 2007 was the best I've seen him as an overall player. It's a shame his playoff series kind of taints that season compared to his other years. Pretty much the same player in '09, though and he was great in the playoffs. Unfortunately, that was the worst team of his '06-'11 years with that core from the finals team and the 67 win team aging and falling apart to some extent.

Yea...roughly from 06 through 11 Dirk was essentially the same guy. I do agree that he was the most "locked in" I've seen him in the 07 regular season and honestly was probably the best he's ever been for all the reasons you say.

There is very little doubt in my mind that the Mavs win the title in 07 if they never had to play the Warriors or had a better coach than Avery. I remember freaking out about the Warriors with all my die hard basketball friends. It was just one of those albatross moments in sports. Just a nightmare...

Nothing is a lock of course and that team while proven to be great at beating regular season teams...still lacked things in my opinion that could have cost them against other quality teams in the playoffs. But 07 was just such a weak year overall competition wise.

SilkkTheShocker
07-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Its amazing how much Tmac is overrated on this board.