PDA

View Full Version : Spurs resign Tiago Splitter to 5 year, $45 million contract

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
San Antonio is finalizing a five year, $45 million contract extension for center Tiago Splitter, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Wow.

EDIT:

There won't be a fifth year on the Splitter deal. The terms will be four years, $36 million-plus, sources tell Y! Sports.

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 03:45 PM
My favorite Spur after Manu :applause:

FlawlessVictory
I see you failed Maths in school.

Shade8780
That's way too much.

secund2nun
He is worth it.

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I see you failed Maths in school.
I thought it was 4 year, 45 million :lol

bagelred
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m

San Antonio is finalizing a five year, $45 million contract extension for center Tiago Splitter, league sources tell Y! Sports.

:roll:

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
He is worth it.
I like him, but that Finals performance :facepalm

PleezeBelieve
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DMAVS41
Why are people laughing? 9 mil a year for splitter is pretty good.

SilkkTheShocker
I think I would rather give Bynum the max still :oldlol:

imdaman99
07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
didnt lebron and wade already end his career? or is he going to bounce back from getting swatted by shorter dudes cleanly

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
eat shit

bagelred
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
eat shit

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ro2u7m.png

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Why are people laughing? 9 mil a year for splitter is pretty good.
5 years :rolleyes:

All Net
07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Talk about overpaid.. :facepalm

guy
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Well that's stupid. I don't understand why they didn't bother going after someone like Andre Iguodala or Al Jefferson.

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
i live in my mom's basement
It looks like he's drinking water..

nosfan773
07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
The dude actually had a great regular season (should have been in the running for Most Improved IMO) and a decent postseason. Obviously the Finals were another story.

That being said I'd rather swing for Gortat or Al Jefferson but who am I to question the almighty FO of the Spurs :bowdown:

KG215
Can someone explain to me how sign-and-trades work under the new CBA? Does this rule that out?

And don't teams only get one 5-year extension? Kind of surprised they used it on Splitter instead of waiting to use it on Leonard.

ETA: Or does that 5-year extension thing not count here since Splitter was a FA? I still don't understand all the new nuances/details of the new CBA.

kurple
this is what big men cost

look at mcgee, hibbert, chandler, jordan, asik, lopez

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Al Jefferson must have shot a load when he saw the kind of money Splitter got. Dude is going to get the max :oldlol:

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
this is what big men cost

look at mcgee, hibbert, chandler, jordan, asik, lopez

Hibbert and Asik are worth the money they are paid. Lopez can't even lead a team past the Bulls C squad.

kurple
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
bargs, amare, nene and the list goes on

FlawlessVictory
The dude actually had a great regular season (should have been in the running for Most Improved IMO) and a decent postseason. Obviously the Finals were another story.

That being said I'd rather swing for Gortat or Al Jefferson but who am I to question the almighty FO of the Spurs :bowdown:
Not a big difference between Gortat and Tiago imo and Jeffersons defence is horrible; combine that with that fact that he will probably get close to a max deal and the Spurs were better sticking with Tiago.

I think its a fair argument that going after Iggy would have been a better move though - Iggy and Leonard would form an unreal backcourt defensive duo.

DMAVS41
5 years :rolleyes:

That seems about right. They'll probably want him for 4 of those...and then it won't be hard to move a 9 million expiring contract if need be.

Won't they still have enough cap space to sign someone and bring manu back at like 4 million a year?

Johnny Jones
Now the market is officially ****ed.

**** the Spurs :facepalm

ProfessorMurder
07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Should've gotten Gortat.

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Spurs have reached an agreement to re-sign Tiago Splitter to a 5-year contract worth $45 million, according to ESPN and media reports

bagelred
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
It looks like he's drinking water..

http://i42.tinypic.com/b71eno.jpg

PJR
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
9 million a year for 10/6? The Heat are going to re-sign Birdman for like 2% of that. :oldlol:

Shade8780
07-02-2013, 04:04 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/b71eno.jpg
You just fvcking ruined it. You cut out the best part. Kill yourself. Seriously, go and hang yourself.

Carbine
07-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Horrible deal. The Spurs really ****ed themselves with this deal:

No ability to offer max contract.
No ability to sign use mid-level exception.
Virtually no cap space left to sign anyone of significance after Manu and Neal get resigned.

Ugh.

Spurs had a chance to really make a great run next year but bringing back the same team, only one year older? Not going to get it done. AT ALL

FireDavidKahn
That contract will look really bad after Pop retires.

Shade8780
Wait a second...

There won't be a fifth year on the Splitter deal. The terms will be four years, $36 million-plus, sources tell Y! Sports.

D-Rose
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Correction from Woj

It's not THAT bad honestly...Javale McGee makes more.

Twiens
07-02-2013, 04:07 PM
What the fuuuuuuck? He was the worst player in the finals by a long shot, dude is terrible

kurple
Correction from Woj

It's not THAT bad honestly...Javale McGee makes more.
mcgee is better

jordan on the other hand

bagelred
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m

RoundMoundOfReb
07-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I like splitter but it seems like a bit much.

D-Rose
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
What the fuuuuuuck? He was the worst player in the finals by a long shot, dude is terrible
Maybe you should watch a player through the season and not just one series. He's not great or anything but is a solid starting big and that's valued in this league. Look at the ridiculous contracts that guys like McGee, DeAndre, Camby, etc are on. He'll be 32 at end of this deal too so it's right in his prime.

DMAVS41
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Splitter is getting under-rated here. He happens to fit in well with the Spurs and played very well against the Grizzlies.

I think his proper value is something around 7 million a year. So see no reason why 9 million is bad considering just about everyone in his position makes around 15 to 25 percent more than they are actually worth.

FlawlessVictory
07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Cretins that respond to posts using only smiles should be banned.

FlawlessVictory
Deals looks a lot better now.

Nastradamus
Splitter is EASILY worth that. He was an 8 win player last year with career per 36 numbers of 15,10 1 and 1 at 57% shooting and .610 TS%. 117 O rating, 101 D rating. Those are SICK numbers.

nosfan773
07-02-2013, 04:13 PM

OKC had the same logic last year.

SpurrDurr
07-02-2013, 04:13 PM
A lot better actually. Glad is not a 5 year contract.
The 5 year extension is going to Leonard.

SCdac
07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Not bad. I don't mind it... Considering market value, don't understand all the fuss... He's soft on offense at times, but he tries hard and isn't a complete idiot ala McGee or something.... Definitely getting underrated on ISH

TMT
07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Looks like the Spurs almost went off the David West offer that went down earlier today. I have neutral feelings about Splitter returning. I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing him go if it meant bringing in a big with more of an above the rim game.

This also limits what the Spurs can do now this offseason.

SpurrDurr
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Splitter is getting under-rated here. He happens to fit in well with the Spurs and played very well against the Grizzlies.

I think his proper value is something around 7 million a year. So see no reason why 9 million is bad considering just about everyone in his position makes around 15 to 25 percent more than they are actually worth.

He looked good during the season next to TD.

When Timmy is out, dude looks lost on the court. Plus he's soft as shit especially in the offense. Good defender tho, i ll give you that

nosfan773
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Not bad. I don't mind it... Considering market value, don't understand all the fuss... He's soft on offense at times, but he tries hard and isn't a complete idiot ala McGee or something.... Definitely getting underrated on ISH

well put

Twiens
07-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Can't defend the rim
Soft as butter on both ends
Swatted by just about every player in a Miami jersey

Reminds me waay too much of Perkins, I expect more of the Spurs.

TMT
07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
He looked good during the season next to TD.

When Timmy is out, dude looks lost on the court. Plus he's soft as shit especially in the offense. Good defender tho, i ll give you that

When Manu and TP's passing is on, Splitter's value is through the roof. He's a pretty good under-the-rim finisher; problem is, that can be exposed by elite NBA athletes nowadays and showed in the Finals. The guy has to show some balls next season.

Heavincent
07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
What a horrible, horrible move. Splitter stinks.

SCdac
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Can't defend the rim
Soft as butter on both ends
Swatted by just about every player in a Miami jersey

Reminds me waay too much of Perkins, I expect more of the Spurs.

If he reminds you of Perkins... you're simply not watching the Spurs and/or Splitter... Tiago is definitely not soft on both ends, and even his offense is miles ahead of Perk.

Carbine
07-02-2013, 04:29 PM

You're missing the bigger point.

Instead of letting him go and having the ability to offer a max contract once Manu' contract gets taken care of, they signed Splitter....and have a few million left over to perhaps spend on a non-impact free agent.

They could've offered Josh Smith, Iggy, Millslap or Jefferson huge money. All would be a really nice upgrade over having Splitter.

Let's just recap Splitter:

Playoffs per game:

20 minutes
6 points
3 rebounds
1 assist

And you're paying this dude 9 million a year!!!! On a team that sees Parker making 12.5 and Timmy making 10.

It's a horrible deal. They had much more potential with their cap situation heading into this off-season and blew their wad.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
don't you realize Finals performances are the most important thing in life? Who cares if he's a good player during the regular season and first 3 playoff series? I mean, it's not like the 82 regular season games or first 3 playoff rounds matter. Spurs just teleport to the Finals every year. They have to build their team for 8~10 games vs. the Heat every year! :rolleyes:

JimmyMcAdocious
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Splitter isn't that bad :oldlol: This thread reads like people only watched him during the Finals for all of last season.

No Evans!
07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
People who are mocking the deal probably only saw him play in the finals and not any other games. 4 yrs 36 plus incentives is fair.

flipogb
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
hes not good enough on either end of the floor to be worth that, hes kind of average at everything

SpurrDurr
07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
It's true, right now he's being underrated and you gotta consider big men are expensive.

But the main point is that Pop benched him in the finals, he didn't trust him.
That's what scares me most.

I belive that SA tried to look for other big men like West but since they failed, they had to fall back to Tiago.

IGOTGAME
07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Threads like this make me realize people have no concept of defense.

ispin69
07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
He's not worth more than 6-7 mil a year. :facepalm He can hardly score and he's not that great on defense either as athletic as he might seem.

bdreason
07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
9m per year for a solid all-around big is a good value.

Noob Saibot
07-02-2013, 04:45 PM
With 9 million dollars a season coming in expect Spiltter to start dunking on NBA scrubs.

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
9 million a year for 7 footer that averages 10 and 6 and shoots well over 50% from the floor and plays good defense and excels in the pick-and-roll game? Also, his numbers and minutes have increased each season in the NBA.

Sounds about right to me. Not nearly as bad as paying that kind of money to DeAndre Jordan, who can't do nearly the things Splitter can.

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 04:48 PM
He's not worth more than 6-7 mil a year. :facepalm He can hardly score and he's not that great on defense either as athletic as he might seem.

Someone hasn't been an NBA fan for very long, or just doesn't pay attention.

Big men have always been at a premium and true centers are especially at a premium today since there aren't very many. This is a solid deal. Splitter would have gotten it elsewhere, trust me.

And for a guy that "can hardly score", he averaged double figures as the 5th option in the starting lineup for the Spurs.

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 04:49 PM
3 PEAT FOR THE HEAT...........POOR DUNCAN,HE WILL NOT GET A RING ANYMORE:banghead:

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Sounds about right to me. Not nearly as bad as paying that kind of money to DeAndre Jordan, who can't do nearly the things Splitter can.
But, but...DeAndre can put up monsters dunks! That's the most important thing in the NBA...

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
3 PEAT FOR THE HEAT...........POOR DUNCAN,HE WILL NOT GET A RING ANYMORE:banghead:

Yes, he performed badly against the Heat and struggles against teams like that, but he excels against teams like the Lakers and Grizzlies (teams the Spurs have to go through in the playoffs). What are the Spurs supposed to do? Without Splitter, they don't make it to the Finals. With Splitter playing like crap in the Finals, they still came 5 seconds away from winning the series. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. You're banging your head over nothing.

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Yes, he performed badly against the Heat and struggles against teams like that, but he excels against teams like the Lakers and Grizzlies (teams the Spurs have to go through in the playoffs). What are the Spurs supposed to do? Without Splitter, they don't make it to the Finals. With Splitter playing like crap in the Finals, they still came 5 seconds away from winning the series. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. You're banging your head over nothing.

he will invisible in big game,12 thunders,13 heat...........he hv zero upside,will not going to get any better,spurs is done after duncan retire :banghead:

Carbine
07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
9 million a year for 7 footer that averages 10 and 6 and shoots well over 50% from the floor and plays good defense and excels in the pick-and-roll game? Also, his numbers and minutes have increased each season in the NBA.

So just because a team overpaid Jordan means it's OK to overpay Splitter?

Yeah, real nice logic there. :facepalm

His true value is shown in the playoffs. He can average 10/6 all he wants in the regular season, but the Spurs are not judged upon how they do in the regular season - they are judged how they do in the playoffs.

His per game averages in the playoffs this past year:

20 mins
6 points
3 boards
1 assist

That's what he is, when things get tough. He's not a good player, certainly not good enough to be the third (almost tied for second) highest paid player on the Spurs.

When you factor in they could've had max money to spend elsewhere if they let him go, it's a terrible deal.

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
I can't believe a scrub like him can earn 9 millions per year :banghead:

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 05:01 PM
in 13 PLAYOFFS.HE HASN'T GRAB MORE THAN 6 REBOUNDS IN aNY GAME:banghead:

DMAVS41
07-02-2013, 05:06 PM
You're missing the bigger point.

Instead of letting him go and having the ability to offer a max contract once Manu' contract gets taken care of, they signed Splitter....and have a few million left over to perhaps spend on a non-impact free agent.

They could've offered Josh Smith, Iggy, Millslap or Jefferson huge money. All would be a really nice upgrade over having Splitter.

Let's just recap Splitter:

Playoffs per game:

20 minutes
6 points
3 rebounds
1 assist

And you're paying this dude 9 million a year!!!! On a team that sees Parker making 12.5 and Timmy making 10.

It's a horrible deal. They had much more potential with their cap situation heading into this off-season and blew their wad.

Yea...I actually would have liked them to go after someone bigger. But that is different than saying Splitter isn't worth what they are paying him. See the difference?

Also...I would imagine they are going to use him in a larger role going forward as well.

What a player is worth is different than going after a team for choosing to keep said player.

If they were going to keep Splitter...4 years at 9 million a year is a within 10% of his actual value in my opinion. So I think it's a fine deal.

And you under-rate his value. He was great against the Grizzlies defensively.

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
So just because a team overpaid Jordan means it's OK to overpay Splitter?

Yeah, real nice logic there. :facepalm

That wasn't my rationale, as clearly indicated in the post.

His true value is shown in the playoffs. He can average 10/6 all he wants in the regular season, but the Spurs are not judged upon how they do in the regular season - they are judged how they do in the playoffs.

His per game averages in the playoffs this past year:

20 mins
6 points
3 boards
1 assist

That's what he is, when things get tough. He's not a good player, certainly not good enough to be the third (almost tied for second) highest paid player on the Spurs.

When you factor in they could've had max money to spend elsewhere if they let him go, it's a terrible deal.

They made it to the Finals with him as the starting center and came 5 seconds away from being NBA champions. And it wasn't even directly his fault that they gave Game 6 away. Obviously the Spurs front office values him. That, to me, is enough. We're not talking about the Bobcats or Wizards front office.

What about the job he did against Zach Randolph in the WCF (held him to 14.4 PPG on 34% shooting)? What about the job he did against Andrew Bogut the round before (held him to 5.4 PPG)? Can't trace value and worth back to averages for points, rebounds and blocks for a big man.

LEFT4DEAD
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
I came on this forum just to say I cant believe it. Guy is the biggest scrub and the most overrated player I have seen in a long time. What am I missing hier? 36M/4years contract? Are you fcuking kidding me? I would not be surprised if it was some other team. But Spurs?

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
he will invisible in big game,12 thunders,13 heat...........he hv zero upside,will not going to get any better,spurs is done after duncan retire :banghead:

I only speak English.

Carbine
07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
He may be "worth" 9 million to another team willing to overpay. Doesn't mean that represents what his on the court impact is - just means someone out there is willing to spend their money unwisely.

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
He may be "worth" 9 million to another team willing to overpay. Doesn't mean that represents what his on the court impact is - just means someone out there is willing to spend their money unwisely.

Welcome to the NBA.

Big men having been getting paid like this for a long, long time. By those standards, this is about right for Splitter.

DMAVS41
07-02-2013, 05:16 PM

True. Like I said before. His actual value is probably something around 28 or 30 million over 4 years.

But every single player signed during this time is going to get at least a 10% bump in their pay vs value.

And...Splitter knows what the Spurs want and the Spurs know Splitter. That familiarity and chemistry is probably worth something as well.

At the end of the day...the Spurs might be paying 1.5 million too much each year on this contract. That is nothing.

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 05:18 PM
reggie evans should earn 20 millions a year :hammerhead:

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
At the end of the day...the Spurs might be paying 1.5 million too much each year on this contract. That is nothing.

Definitely not enough for people to cry over and show their ignorance. Too many posters here don't understand how the free agent market works each summer. Teams have money and they're going to have to spend it on who is available. That will always lead to some guys getting more money (ranging from a little more to a lot more) than they're truly worth. In this case, Splitter isn't getting all that much more than what he's worth. Maybe 1 or 2 a year more. Like you said, a small price to pay for chemistry and familiarity on a veteran team.

Crown&Coke
07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I like Splitter, but he is who is going be be. I don't see much improvement coming from him past this point.

It's weird to see a big man, who plays like a big man most of the time, but he gets made to look small by the opposition. I can't figure it out. Stop the layup bullshit and dunk the ****ing ball

midatlantic09
07-02-2013, 05:22 PM
It should be a 5 year, $30-35 million contract.

ihatetimthomas
Obviously, there was a market for him and this likely was the going rate teams would have offered him. There is a difference between worth and market value. Its kind of like someone told me about rare and expensive bball cards. There is a beckett to tell you its worth but its true value is what it sells on ebay, the market value.

Splitter is a solid, and pretty versatile player. He doesnt make mistakes and he really has improved. I do not think he is worth that deal. I think 7 mil a year would suffice. But you got to pay what others are willing to pay.

DStebb716
HOLY overpay

Mr. Jabbar
07-02-2013, 05:28 PM
They were gonna let him walk but Riley called and offered to pay half his contract :applause:

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Definitely not enough for people to cry over and show their ignorance. Too many posters here don't understand how the free agent market works each summer. Teams have money and they're going to have to spend it on who is available. That will always lead to some guys getting more money (ranging from a little more to a lot more) than they're truly worth. In this case, Splitter isn't getting all that much more than what he's worth. Maybe 1 or 2 a year more. Like you said, a small price to pay for chemistry and familiarity on a veteran team.

I'd prefer Oden over this scubs,3 peat for the Heat anyway :banghead:

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I'd prefer Oden over this scubs,3 peat for the Heat anyway :banghead:

You mean the guy that hasn't played a game in the NBA since 2009? You've got it all figured out...

Carbine
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Option 1: Pay Splitter 9 million, resign Manu, have few million left over for a non-impact signing.

Option 2: Let Splitter go, resign Manu, HAVE MAX CONTRACT TO OFFER.

The Spurs could've seriously upgraded their team going with option 2, now they're basically bringing back the same team, only a year older. That's not going to get it done.

A missed opportunity. That's what it is.

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
You mean the guy that hasn't played a game in the NBA since 2009? You've got it all figured out...

he left protland now :rockon:

DMAVS41
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Option 1: Pay Splitter 9 million, resign Manu, have few million left over for a non-impact signing.

The Spurs could've seriously upgraded their team going with option 2, now they're basically bringing back the same team, only a year older. That's not going to get it done.

That is different than saying Splitter is grossly overpaid. You are arguing two separate points.

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Outside of Dwight Howard, what available free agent is worth a max contract? Josh Smith? Al Jefferson? Paul Millsap? None of those players fit what the Spurs do like Splitter.

Carbine
07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm also arguing he's overpaid (Asik got 8.3 mil a year last year, and he's better than Splitter....Spenser Hawes got 6.5 mil a year as he's as good as Splitter) but it's doubly bad when the other option was something rarely available to an elite team - the ability to offer a max contract.

aj1987
07-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Outside of Dwight Howard, what available free agent is worth a max contract? Josh Smith? Al Jefferson? Paul Millsap? None of those players fit what the Spurs do like Splitter.
Try to get Nikola Pekovic and Andre Iguodala? Not sure if they can pull it off, but if they do, 2014 Champs for sure!

Andre Iguodala
Tony Parker
Tim Duncan
Nikola Pekovic
Danny Green

:biggums:

Euroleague
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Horrible contract. Splitter absolutely sucks. That's an absurd deal.

Frozen1
07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
People forgot that Spurs just swept a team with Paul Gasol and Dwight Howard and another team with Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph.

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Try to get Nikola Pekovic and Andre Iguodala? Not sure if they can pull it off, but if they do, 2014 Champs for sure!

Andre Iguodala
Tony Parker
Tim Duncan
Nikola Pekovic
Danny Green

:biggums:

Can Pekovic defend?

fatboy11
07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
People forgot that Spurs just swept a team with Paul Gasol and Dwight Howard and another team with Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph.

All they care about is that Splitter doesn't dunk enough or put up sexy stats.

Harison
07-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Usually brilliant Spurs FA overpayed a bit IMO, he probably wont get any better and is in prime already. At the end of the contract he will likely be worse, plus risk of injuries...

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 06:14 PM
All they care about is that Splitter doesn't dunk enough or put up sexy stats.

he can't scores & rebound,invisible in big games :banghead:

aj1987
07-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Can Pekovic defend?
I've only watched him in a couple of games and from what I've seen, he's pretty decent. Needs a better coach. Pop can turn him into a defensive and rebounding monster.

Carbine
07-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Splitter scored 15 total points, 12 total rebounds, and 7 total assists in the Lakers series. Why are we acting like he had even a moderate impact on the series?

He averaged 9 points, 3 boards and 2 assists vs the Grizz.

I have never seen a guy get so much credit for doing so little in my life.

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Spillter = poor man Luc Longley :hammerhead:

Doranku
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Is this becoming a new trend?

Embarrass yourself in the finals -> get paid?

Harden disappears in 2012, gets max contract
Splitter disappears in 2013, gets probably twice his value

DKLaker
07-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Spurs are usually the smartest team in the NBA........this was beyond idiotic!!!

IGOTGAME
07-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Is this becoming a new trend?

Embarrass yourself in the finals -> get paid?

Harden disappears in 2012, gets max contract
Splitter disappears in 2013, gets probably twice his value
Houston really messed up there...

ispin69
07-02-2013, 07:02 PM
The idiots saying it's the market. Tell me which team offered him 8-9 million a year. I would love to know the retarded GM and team.

D-Rose
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
The idiots saying it's the market. Tell me which team offered him 8-9 million a year. I would love to know the retarded GM and team.
Portland was prepared to sign him to the same offer sheet.

Euroleague
07-02-2013, 07:08 PM

I would not give Splitter more than 3 years $10 million........IF I was to sign him.

But I would NOT even sign him. If I was the Spurs I would have been counting the days until I could get rid of him.

That's one of the craziest contracts of NBA history.

Derka
07-02-2013, 07:11 PM
In b4 small market owners cause another lockout cus "omg salaries and BRI!!!"

lilblingy
07-02-2013, 07:12 PM
:applause: I like it. splitter will bounce back from that finals performance.

EnoughSaid
07-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Well someone should change the title to 4 years, $36 million. But I don't know about this deal. You could have gotten someone like Iggy or Gortat for the same money, but you went ahead and got Splitter who isn't that capable on offense and isn't as strong as some of the other bigs in the league. Ehh it's the Spurs and Pop, so we'll see what happens. Can never count them out.

Anaximandro1
07-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Spurs had a chance to really make a great run next year but bringing back the same team, only one year older? Not going to get it done. AT ALL
Duncan 38,Manu 36,Parker 32...

I don't know what the hell the Spurs are thinking.

ispin69
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Wow Portland was desperate. :facepalm
I hope JJ Hickson leaves them over this [ trying to pay that scrub Splitter 9mil a year when Hickson puts up better numbers and only makes 4mil a year, pathetic ] and go to Dallas.

aj1987
07-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Couldn't the Spurs have gotten Pekovic and Iguodala?

Honest question. I thought that they had the cap space to do it.

Forget Green. Imagine this starting lineup.

Duncan
Pekovic
Leonard
Iguodala
Parker

IGOTGAME
07-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Couldn't the Spurs have gotten Pekovic and Iguodala?

Honest question. I thought that they had the cap space to do it.

Forget Green. Imagine this starting lineup.

Duncan
Pekovic
Leonard
Iguodala
Parker

Pek is getting wah more than 9. Plus he would be a downgrade on defense.

GOBB
07-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I have to agree with Carbine. Spurs had better options to explore than giving Splitter this deal.

poido123
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm gobsmacked, every thread I look on ISH, the trades and signings get worse.

STOP OVER PAYING PLAYERS NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

STOP SIGNING PLAYERS YOU DON'T NEED AND TRADING AWAY GOOD ASSETS!

aj1987
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Pek is getting wah more than 9. Plus he would be a downgrade on defense.
He has the potential to be a damn good defender though. It's not like Splitter is any better than Pekovic. Pop could do it. Make him a good defender

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
He has the potential to be a damn good defender though. It's not like Splitter is any better than Pekovic. Pop could do it. Make him a good defender

he is mentally soft & will never be star in NBA

Eldrunko247
07-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Splitter is a scrub, wow.

aj1987
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
he is mentally soft & will never be star in NBA
Sup, Euroleague?

Greg Oden 50
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Sup, Euroleague?

go bk to eropeleauge plz

SoCalLakersFan1
07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I was pretty shocked when I saw this, but if you look at his numbers and how well the team performs when he is on the court, the deal isn't as bad. I think 7-8 mil/year would have been better.

rmt
07-02-2013, 08:46 PM
It's a little higher than I expected - expected 8-9m/yr. Remember DeAndre Jordan and McGee make 10.5 and 10.75m/yr. Such is the market for big men. At least, Splitter is not dumb as rocks. He and the Spurs are a good fit. Now find a backup PG and backup SF. Manu needs to pay back the Spurs for his horrendous Finals and take a drastic pay cut.

It's not Splitter's contract that's gonna kill the Spurs - it's paying Bonner $4million.

Funnyfuka
07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
he will never be at the level of duncan or robinson. He softer than gasol. Give him some ****ing steroids and kill his whole family, maybe he ll show some gut, so far he s been awfully disapointing. He got owned and disrespected so many time this year. A giant teddy bear.

Funnyfuka
07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
9 million a year for 10/6? The Heat are going to re-sign Birdman for like 2% of that. :oldlol:
exactly.

And dont tell me they hope splitter will "improve", he wont. Actually he s getting slower and lankier. He s not atheltic at all, these kinds of physiques dont age well either. Look at yao ming, they have exactly the same kind of physique.

rmt
07-02-2013, 09:27 PM
"Indiana, the leagues best defense, allowed 96.6 points per 100 possessions. The Spurs allowed 96.2 points per 100 possessions with Splitter on the floor. They reverted to average when he sat out (102.3 pts/100)."

For all the posters knocking Splitter for his Finals performance, his value is in the above quote - which saves Duncan for the post-season. Also, the West is packed with contenders with big men - Dwight, Gasols, Randolph and hopefully Bynum stays in the East. Spurs don't get out of the West without Splitter.

36/4 is a reasonable contract and prevents any other team from front-loading a contract and taking Spurs out of free agency this year. They still have about $9m to sign a free agent and then Manu for whatever's left over.

TexasBloodMoney
07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Not saying that Splitter is in any way as talented as Hibbert or Lopez but I remember last offseason when the blazers offered max contracts to both of them, tons of people were talking about how overpaid they were and then they both had amazing seasons. So who knows, maybe Splitter develops into something a little better.

SA should take a look at Jarret Jack to replace Manu.

B-Easy8
07-02-2013, 10:22 PM
If Splitter made this much then we will have to pay Pek a shit load.

ProfessorMurder
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
exactly.

And dont tell me they hope splitter will "improve", he wont. Actually he s getting slower and lankier. He s not atheltic at all, these kinds of physiques dont age well either. Look at yao ming, they have exactly the same kind of physique.

Did you really just compare Splitter to Yao Ming? You don't think genetics, 8 extra inches and like 60 pounds have anything to do with Yao's problems?

Carbine
07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
"Indiana, the leagues best defense, allowed 96.6 points per 100 possessions. The Spurs allowed 96.2 points per 100 possessions with Splitter on the floor. They reverted to average when he sat out (102.3 pts/100)."

For all the posters knocking Splitter for his Finals performance, his value is in the above quote - which saves Duncan for the post-season. Also, the West is packed with contenders with big men - Dwight, Gasols, Randolph and hopefully Bynum stays in the East. Spurs don't get out of the West without Splitter.

36/4 is a reasonable contract and prevents any other team from front-loading a contract and taking Spurs out of any free agent this year. They still have about $9m to sign Manu and a free agent.

These advanced stats mean nothing.

Blair has a defensive rating of 99, Manu 100.....LeBron has a 101 defensive rating.

Splitter has a 118 offensive rating, Timmy 107, Parker 116.

In no world is Manu on par with Bron on defense, and in no world is Splitter a better offensive player than Timmy and Parker.

rmt
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
These advanced stats mean nothing.

Blair has a defensive rating of 99, Manu 100.....LeBron has a 101 defensive rating.

Splitter has a 118 offensive rating, Timmy 107, Parker 116.

In no world is Manu on par with Bron on defense, and in no world is Splitter a better offensive player than Timmy and Parker.

Surely you can't deny that the defense has been better since Splitter started or that he saves Duncan wear and tear during the regular season. Maybe you'd prefer to go back to the days of Bonner and Blair starting beside Timmy.

Splitter is a good fit with the Spurs. What should the Spurs do - risk losing him to an offer sheet, get nothing in return or some one who might not fit in or take a long time to get adjusted/worked into the system?

Spurs can still get a free agent and then re-sign Manu (hopefully for much less). They were seconds away from a championship. Hopefully Leonard and Splitter improve enough to offset any decline in Duncan and Manu. You know that the Spurs are going to stay the course - they're not into big changes especially after coming so close.

HarryCallahan
07-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Horrible contract. Splitter absolutely sucks. That's an absurd deal.

Spanish league MVP... :applause:

Great job defending your love obsession... :applause:

Better than Lorbek... :applause:

Rather Splitter than Spanoulis, atleast he doesn't have his mother ring the coaches for more pt........ :applause:

HarryCallahan
07-02-2013, 11:35 PM
SMH at all these people who only saw the Spurs play in 7 games all year, calling Thiago a scrub.

Splitter is one of the better big men in the league and has a market value of 8-10mil, so 9mil is about as low as they could get and bigmen don't exactly grow on trees. He's cheaper and better than; McGee, Deandre, Amar'e, Nene etc.

And the Spurs would be morons to go after Iggy, what would he do on offence? He can't shoot 3's and that's the SF/SG role on the Spurs.

DonDadda59
07-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Great time to be an average NBA center nowadays, these guys are getting crazy overpaid. If Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, and Shaq were in their primes right now these scrubs would only be making a fraction of the absurd contracts they're getting.

But get your money, Tiago :applause:

:oldlol:

Graviton
07-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Someone will probably pay Perkins 7-9 million when he is amnestied or a free agent for his "veteran leadership, experience and locker room presence". :applause:

Greg Oden 50
07-03-2013, 02:13 AM
PLZ DUN RESIGN GARY NEAL :banghead:

andremiller07
07-03-2013, 02:16 AM
wow that a insane contract I wonder what he would have got if he played 1 good game in the finals?

VIntageNOvel
07-03-2013, 05:51 AM
Someone will probably pay Perkins 7-9 million when he is amnestied or a free agent for his "veteran leadership, experience and locker room presence". :applause:

swap perkins with splitter in final, and spurs take home the chip
they have similar impact on scoring and defence,
but perkins set one of the best (illegal) screen, that can free parker/manu more

SpurrDurr
07-03-2013, 06:15 AM
wow that a insane contract I wonder what he would have got if he played 1 good game in the finals?

His value went down after the finals.
Imagine if he had solid finals run , how could you deny him a big contract when players like McGee, Bogut earn all 10m+ per year.

Big men cost big money, if you are blessed with size you are going to get always a 2nd, 3d, 4th chance and get paid a lot.

Greg Oden 50
07-03-2013, 06:29 AM
His value went down after the finals.
Imagine if he had solid finals run , how could you deny him a big contract when players like McGee, Bogut earn all 10m+ per year.

Big men cost big money, if you are blessed with size you are going to get always a 2nd, 3d, 4th chance and get paid a lot.

too bad,she is mentally soft :banghead:

HarryCallahan
07-03-2013, 11:14 AM
swap perkins with splitter in final, and spurs take home the chip
they have similar impact on scoring and defence,
but perkins set one of the best (illegal) screen, that can free parker/manu more

???

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... no. Splitter is a big part of the Spurs offence (10ppg), can actually rebound and defend pick and rolls. Illegal screens are less effective than screens where the defenders have to actually defend the screener.

Do you actually watch basketball, or just espn..?

SilkkTheShocker
07-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Glad to see HarryCallahan is still alive after the Finals :applause:

How did that crow taste, son?

VIntageNOvel
07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
???

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... no. Splitter is a big part of the Spurs offence (10ppg), can actually rebound and defend pick and rolls. Illegal screens are less effective than screens where the defenders have to actually defend the screener.

Do you actually watch basketball, or just espn..?

did you watch the final :facepalm

fatboy11
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Wow Portland was desperate. :facepalm
I hope JJ Hickson leaves them over this [ trying to pay that scrub Splitter 9mil a year when Hickson puts up better numbers and only makes 4mil a year, pathetic ] and go to Dallas.

There's a reason why J.J. Hickson won't get the kind of money the Spurs and other teams (including Portland, who Hickson just played for) are willing to pay Splitter. Your problem is that you seem to be equating value to stats.

Twiens
07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Andray Blatche needs a new agent.

Splitter 10/6 with 6/3 in the playoffs

Blatche 10/5 during the season, 10/5 in the playoffs

Signed for 1.4 million despite being a better player IMO. Unreal

fatboy11
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Andray Blatche needs a new agent.

Splitter 10/6 with 6/3 in the playoffs

Blatche 10/5 during the season, 10/5 in the playoffs

Signed for 1.4 million despite being a better player IMO. Unreal

I thought it was pretty obvious that he willingly took less money to stay with the Nets.

Maybe I'm missing something. 1.4 million dollars was not going to be his best offer.

GoSpursGo1984
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
The problem for the Spurs is Splitter is not a All Star big man and when Duncan retires they will have to find one .

SCdac
07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
4 years, $36 million

That's the deal btw, for those not paying close attention and going off thread title

IGOTGAME
05-21-2014, 09:12 PM
4 years, $36 million

That's the deal btw, for those not paying close attention and going off thread title
Seems like he is worth every penny to me.

IGOTGAME
05-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Threads like this make me realize people have no concept of defense.

Yup, same story.

josh99
05-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Sounds about right, that's about what every solid big man gets these days.

Akrazotile
05-22-2014, 01:02 AM
I was leery of this deal at the time, but now it obviously looks good. Then again, Danny Green is lookin like a 12m/yr player right now. So they got everything workin for em.

toxicxr6
05-22-2014, 01:07 AM
I was leery of this deal at the time, but now it obviously looks good. Then again, Danny Green is lookin like a 12m/yr player right now. So they got everything workin for em.

the manu deal also got alot of hate too
manu had a good season and decent playoffs so far.. at this stage both deals look ok

JimmyMcAdocious
05-22-2014, 01:13 AM
It's not like he's a bad offensive player either. He finishes well around the rim with either hand (albeit can play soft at times), is easily one of the best passing centers in the NBA, and he fits effortlessly in Pop's system.

This was all known before the new contract. People just harped too much on the Finals where he was getting blocked left and right.

oarabbus
05-22-2014, 01:16 AM
It's not like he's a bad offensive player either. He finishes well around the rim with either hand (albeit can play soft at times), is easily one of the best passing centers in the NBA, and he fits effortlessly in Pop's system.

This was all known before the new contract. People just harped too much on the Finals where he was getting blocked left and right.

He's not that good offensively... I think you're overrated his offense. He's very good defensively and great for the system, though.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-22-2014, 01:18 AM
He's not that good offensively... I think you're overrated his offense. He's very good defensively and great for the system, though.

Explain where I'm inaccurate. Not bad = Not bad. The rest is as clear as that. Is he not one of the best passing centers in the NBA? Does he not fit in Pop's system? Is he not ambidextrous with a decent touch?