PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant not planning on taking a paycut...

D-Rose
07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-not-planning-to-take-a-pay-cut-in-2014/2013/07/10/

[QUOTE]

Jacks3
07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
20 pages. Let's go. :rockon:

StocktonFan
07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-not-planning-to-take-a-pay-cut-in-2014/2013/07/10/

:facepalm

Why would he? the writer is thinking hes going to take a vet min? wtf... who on earth would go from 30M to 1.4M? Not even duncan is willing to play for that

I can see him taking 10-14M which is fair, but cant ask him to take 1.4M

SCdac
07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
of course not. he ain't about that life.

chasing scoring records and bricking contested three's... now that's right up his alley

D-Rose
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Why would he? Again, this has been discussed AGAIN and AGAIN... there is no one to sign this year. Let his contract expire...
The hell are you talking about? His contract for THIS season can't be touched. He means the new deal he's getting next summer when he's a UFA.

Inferno
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
:facepalm

StocktonFan
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
The hell are you talking about? His contract for THIS season can't be touched. He means the new deal he's getting next summer when he's a UFA.

Yeah, i thought ti was another one of those threads saying he should forfeit his current contract to resign :facepalm

updated OP.

1~Gibson~1
:applause:

How many posters here on ISH would have done the exact same thing?

I for 1.

Jacks3
of course not. he ain't about that life.

chasing scoring records and bricking contested three's... now that's right up his alley
Kobe: 5 rings
Sperms: 4 rings.

Stay mad bitch. :oldlol:

kamil
He's not going to get very far next season. The only thing that will make him feel better is his paycheque.... but then again, he's already loaded beyond belief, what is the extra cash going to do for him?

branslowski
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
In b4 30+ pages of saying the guy with 5rings 2 finals MVP doesn't care about winning.
In b4 a "stacked frontline" sentence even though Bynum avg 6ppg 3reb and Odom avg 12ppg (1pt less than Mo Williams) during Lakers playoff run on the 1st of back to backs:rockon:

MastaKilla
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
So a potential free agent for next year is stating that he wants to sign a favorable contract when he becomes a free agent?

Where's the problem here?

1~Gibson~1
07-10-2013, 10:15 PM
In b4 30+ pages of saying the guy with 5rings 2 finals MVP doesn't care about winning.
In b4 a "stacked frontline" sentence even though Bynum avg 6ppg 3reb and Odom avg 12ppg (1pt less than Mo Williams) during Lakers playoff run on the 1st of back to backs:rockon::biggums: :coleman:

PickernRoller
07-10-2013, 10:17 PM
In B4 RG starts arguing with himself.

SCdac
07-10-2013, 10:17 PM

LOL ego-be chased Shaq, Bynum, and Dwight out of town and acting like a douche about it too... I find it hilarious

dazzer87
07-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Kome............:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :applause: :applause:

PickernRoller
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Kome............:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :applause: :applause:

http://www.foodnut.com/i/KOME-Buffet-Daly-City/Kome-Buffet-Daly-City-exterior-decor.jpg

Goldrush25
07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Why would he? the writer is thinking hes going to take a vet min? wtf... who on earth would go from 30M to 1.4M? Not even duncan is willing to play for that

There were fans on his on here saying that he'd be willing to take a reduced salary to accommodate teammates that would help him win another championship.

How do you know he'd be happy with $10-14 million? I'm sure he sees himself as better than Duncan right now.

FiveRings
He's going to take a paycut, but he's going to get however much he wants and I have no problem with that. Give him 35-40 million over two years. His drawing power is worth that alone, plus he's still the best SG in the game and was all NBA first team this season. He's brought the Lakers 5 titles and he deserves to be taken care of money wise by the team. Kobe won't be getting 10 million a year. He's going to get more than guys like KG and Duncan got, and rightfully so.

LA can sign Kobe to whatever he wants and also add another max contract star in the summer of 14, right?

branslowski
:biggums: :coleman:

:confusedshrug: Everything I stated was facts.

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1040398_10151761117307223_1582150348_o.jpg

StocktonFan
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
There were fans on his on here saying that he'd be willing to take a reduced salary to accommodate teammates that would help him win another championship.

How do you know he'd be happy with $10-14 million? I'm sure he sees himself as better than Duncan right now.

Well i'm just putting myself in his shoes... i wouldnt go from 30M to 1.4M, i may take half though. the author of that article seriously expects him to drop nearly 28M

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:32 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/06-16-kobe-bryant/8146113-1-eng-US/06-16-kobe-bryant_full_600.gif

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kPH0ZxIXBA8/SqkYJor8qoI/AAAAAAAABoM/5gHTnSsx4rM/s400/KOBE+UMAD.jpg

D-Rose
07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
this thread needs to get more intersting...

nopaycutbe
selfishbe
greedybe
mememebe
30millayearbe
gimmethatcashbe

anymore?

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/von9ub.jpg

1~Gibson~1
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
:confusedshrug: Everything I stated was facts.Its just..... i had no idea Kobe threads had that many expectations :lol

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/37887577.jpg

red1
07-10-2013, 10:36 PM
why would he? at this stage of his career he should be in mario mode grabbing as many coins as he can

daily
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM

:facepalm:roll: Why would he announce he'd take a paycut. You don't go into a business negotiation and give them your bottom line to start with.

D-Rose
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
:roll: Why would he announce he'd take a paycut. You don't go into a business negotiation and give them your bottom line to start with.
Yet guys like Dirk, Duncan, KG say they will beforehand and have no problem with it.

Obviously no one's paying him 30 mill a year, he doesn't have a choice.

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/kobe-2.jpg

I<3NBA
07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
this niqqa thinks he can still get on the court :lol

#nextbrandonroy

SpecialQue
07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
http://helmetgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/KOBE_FACE_2_detail.jpg

ispin69
Lakers might not offer him anything but retirement.
Maybe he'll look for a payday on another team.

StocktonFan
Lakers might not offer him anything but retirement.
Maybe he'll look for a payday on another team.

Hmm why are 99% of your posts in kobe related threads? There are plenty of other threads that don't care for your insight, why not take it there?

Jacks3
07-10-2013, 10:43 PM
LOL ego-be chased Shaq, Bynum, and Dwight out of town and acting like a douche about it too... I find it hilarious
Kobe: 5
Sperms: 4

Owned the Spurs over the entire 00's.

I found that hilarious.

:oldlol:

SpecialQue
http://ocresort.ocregister.com/files/2010/06/Kobe-with-family-edited_edited.jpg

longtime lurker
We'll see his mentality when the team has a chance to sign some players.

daily
07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Yet guys like Dirk, Duncan, KG say they will beforehand and have no problem with it.

Obviously no one's paying him 30 mill a year, he doesn't have a choice.

Kobe's not Dirk Duncan or KG. He's obviously a lot more business minded than they are. He also plays for the Lakers a much larger market and he makes the Lakers a hell of a lot more money for the Lakers than those guys do for their respective teams

I'm not saying he won't take a paycut but he's not going to announce it a year early.

Whoever asked him that question was an idiot, really a dumb question to ask any player

HorryIsMyMVP
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
We'll see his mentality when the team has a chance to sign some players.
Or when LA says they are hiring over seas.

bluechox2
07-10-2013, 10:46 PM
:lol lakers are fu cked :lol

kobe at negotiations: i already got it planned out, sign me for 25 million or whatever the max is for this year, and ill recruit guys with the basis of how i can teach them to win...surely they'd be stomping through that door as we speak to just learn from my winning ways...we got this, so where do i sign

boozehound
07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
He's going to take a paycut, but he's going to get however much he wants and I have no problem with that. Give him 35-40 million over two years. His drawing power is worth that alone, plus he's still the best SG in the game and was all NBA first team this season. He's brought the Lakers 5 titles and he deserves to be taken care of money wise by the team. Kobe won't be getting 10 million a year. He's going to get more than guys like KG and Duncan got, and rightfully so.

LA can sign Kobe to whatever he wants and also add another max contract star in the summer of 14, right?
This is ****ing dumb. He deserves a high salary for his past accomplishments? Why dont you guys still pay shaq a couple mil each year as well then. He deserves to get paid based on his market value and what he will contribute next year.

D-Rose
07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Kobe's not Dirk Duncan or KG. He's obviously a lot more business minded than they are. He also plays for the Lakers a much larger market and he makes the Lakers a hell of a lot more money for the Lakers than those guys do for their respective teams
Agreed. but if he truly does only play to win championships as he says...taking a paycut like those three have or will is in the TEAM's best interest. The guys made hundreds of millions on basketball contracts alone.

for the record, I wouldn't blame him for taking most $ from whoever gives up the most...but would have to put to rest the crap about him sacrificing for the team or doing everything to win titles.

KG215
07-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Clever. How long did it take you to come up with that one?

daily
07-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Agreed. but if he truly does only play to win championships as he says....
I think Kobe plays to win in everything he takes on, including business negotiations

chosen_one6
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
If he doesn't take a pay cut after the season he's about to have, we'll know this n*gga is delusional for sure.

bluechox2
07-10-2013, 10:54 PM
someone needs to take up the challenge to teach Kobe on taking a paycut for the betterment of the team

kennethgriffin
07-10-2013, 10:55 PM
well thats it. kobes gone after next season. another team will accept kobe in a sign and trade to extend his contract

lakers would have to extend to 33 and 35 million per season for 2015 and 2016

no way they will do that. but i'm sure a bottom feeder will unload their entire starting linup to get their hands on a kobe bryant for 2-3 more years

kobe will say pay me or i'm leaving. and only way he will go to another team is through a sign and trade due to the new CBA. if kobe just signed with another team he would be giving up like 15 mill per season

kobe isnt dumb. he knows that 33-35 million with any other team and no chance of winning is worth more than 17-18 million with the lakers and a small chance at winning

and on a team like the bobcats he'l average 40ppg lol

KG215
07-10-2013, 10:58 PM
but i'm sure a bottom feeder will unload their entire starting linup to get their hands on a kobe bryant for 2-3 more years

No, they wouldn't. There's not a single team in the NBA that would give up their entire starting lineup for a 37 year old Kobe Bryant one year removed from tearing his Achilles.

I said it another thread, but it really is amazing how delusional the most obsessed Kobe fanboys are.

longtime lurker
07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Agreed. but if he truly does only play to win championships as he says...taking a paycut like those three have or will is in the TEAM's best interest. The guys made hundreds of millions on basketball contracts alone.

for the record, I wouldn't blame him for taking most $ from whoever gives up the most...but would have to put to rest the crap about him sacrificing for the team or doing everything to win titles.

I think he'll get criticized no matter how much he ends up taking, but I'm just curious to know what do you think is a fair contract for him to cut to? I think it will be interesting to see especially if the team is on the verge of signing 2 or 3 free agents.

PJR
07-10-2013, 11:02 PM
:oldlol: Kobe just sued his own got damn mother for 600k worth of sports memorabilia, who in the world thought he would just willingly take a pay cut on his next contract?

kennethgriffin
07-10-2013, 11:03 PM

No, they wouldn't. There's not a single team in the NBA that would give up their entire starting lineup for a 37 year old Kobe Bryant one year removed from tearing his Achilles.

I said it another thread, but it really is amazing how delusional the most obsessed Kobe fanboys are.

he'l be 35.. some team with no shot will gladly give the lakers a bunch of needless contracts as filler to get their hands on a guy who would completely turn around a franchise

you're underestimating kobes brand. kobe is worth 100 mill a season just on marketing, ticket sales, jersey sales, tv deals

he got the lakers a multi billion dollar deal and got their franchise value up to around 800 million

learn about the nba as a business and you'l understand that making money to an owner is more valuable that putting out a team that might make the playoffs with zero ratings or money value.

thats what a bottom feeder will be thinking. they know they wont make the playoffs to save their lives. but atleast with kobe they can make a sh*t ton of money while stinkin it up

go back to school son

this is big boy talk

NASH = BEST
07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Lol, some of y'all are straight up dumb if you don't side with Kobe on this one. :oldlol:

You can't hate on him for wanting the most he can get.

Don't we all go in with this kind of mentality when negotiating with a current employer or when taking up a new job?

Or at least you should!

Only fools leave money on the table (Dwight). :oldlol:

Not sure if the Lakers will head in this direction though, wouldn't be surprised if Kobe ended his career with the Bulls or Pacers now.

bluechox2
07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Lol, some of y'all are straight up dumb if you don't side with Kobe on this one. :oldlol:

Don't we all go in with this kind of mentality when negotiating with a current employer or when taking up a new job?

Or at least you should!

Not sure if the Lakers will head in this direction though, wouldn't be surprised if Kobe ended his career with the Bulls or Pacers now.
its not dumb to go in to get the most you can, but at the same time, dont be tweeting a tthe same time that you want to play 3 more years to get atleast 2 rings:roll:

poido123
07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I don't like Kobe much, but I will say he is a different commodity to alot of the players in the league.

He deserves 10-15 mill a year after this season based purely on revenue, popularity and marketing advantages alone.

Hell, if he stayed with the Lakers, he is still worth the max next year.

It is not his worry if his pay affects the ability of management to build around him. Kobe brings the business and money to the Lakers, its up to management to make it work around him.

cotdt
07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Read the fine print. In the same quote Kobe admits that he has to say certain things for business reasons. In the past, Kobe has already said that he is willing to take a paycut if management comes to him with a specific request (ie. a contract for Carmelo). Kobe won't take a paycut for the sake of saving the Lakers money, but he'd do it for specific reasons.

FiveRings
07-10-2013, 11:18 PM
This is ****ing dumb. He deserves a high salary for his past accomplishments? Why dont you guys still pay shaq a couple mil each year as well then. He deserves to get paid based on his market value and what he will contribute next year.
Shaq was not All NBA first team this season.

Kobe has made the Lakers far more money than they have payed out to him over the years, and will continue to do so even if Kobe is making 30 million a year, so he's not going to be given a low ball offer of something like 10-12 mil per. Yes, his past accomplishments matter. Kobe is the most popular player in the world after MJ, and his popularity contributes greatly to making the Lakers a lot of money. Kobe's accomplishments and championships won have contributed to his popularity, which makes the Lakers money, so I don't see why what he has accomplished should not matter. Kobe wouldn't be near the draw that he is without the winning.

NASH = BEST
07-10-2013, 11:19 PM
its not dumb to go in to get the most you can, but at the same time, dont be tweeting a tthe same time that you want to play 3 more years to get atleast 2 rings:roll:

Can't hate on him for being a cocky s.o.b. either.

I dont think he'll get 2 more rings, but I didnt think he was going to win one without Shaq either.

If he decides to go ring chase, then who knows what happens.

OJ SIMPSON 2.0
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM

nopaycutbe
selfishbe
greedybe
mememebe
30millayearbe
gimmethatcashbe

anymore?
Getalifebe

longtime lurker
07-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Read the fine print. In the same quote Kobe admits that he has to say certain things for business reasons. In the past, Kobe has already said that he is willing to take a paycut if management comes to him with a specific request (ie. a contract for Carmelo). Kobe won't take a paycut for the sake of saving the Lakers money, but he'd do it for specific reasons.

Interesting and I'm sure everyone will ignore this. That's always been my line up though. If the team has a chance to sign 2 max free agents or whatever he'll accommodate them. If the team just says yeah wait till next year then why in the hell would he take a pay cut?

poido123
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Interesting and I'm sure everyone will ignore this. That's always been my line up though. If the team has a chance to sign 2 max free agents or whatever he'll accommodate them. If the team just says yeah wait till next year then why in the hell would he take a pay cut?

At the end of the day, who really knows what motivation Kobe has to get the deal he wants?

I mean, what contract would you guys consider Kobe to be doing his part to allow enough capspace to sign other players?

I think if Kobe took around 12 mill a year, that would allow Lakers some flexibility to build around him.

It just all depends whether Kobe wants to sacrifice a big contract to win. He doesn't have to, he is the Lakers business right now.

KingsFan416
07-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Kobe trolling.

KingsFan416
07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Kobe is not gonna take a 1 mil pay cut. He'll get 10 mil.

oh the horror
07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
So a potential free agent for next year is stating that he wants to sign a favorable contract when he becomes a free agent?

Where's the problem here?

There is no problem here. People are reading into it more than it should be.

Goldrush25
07-10-2013, 11:56 PM

Or at least you should!

I don't hate on him at all. What he said makes sense. But I saw numerous threads about how Kobe would adjust to allow the team to build a contender around him. Getting every single penny and accommodating the team in building a winner are two concepts that oppose each other. I think Kobe would rationalize his decision by saying he can do it basically by himself, and he would believe it. But we all know better. He can't win a championship at this stage without recruiting some higher priced, younger help than he has right now.

People keep saying, "Oh Kobe would take less to build a team" and "Kobe will adjust when he has better teammates." No he won't. That's just not who he is so his fans should stop trying to say he's something he's not just to make him appear more noble.

Getting all the money you can is the smart thing to do. Only a select few in the NBA could get away with taking less, since the vast majority of them can't manage money to save their lives and will be broke eventually anyway.

FiveRings
07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Kobe is not gonna take a 1 mil pay cut. He'll get 10 mil.
:biggums:

Kobe's not trolling. You are, acting like he'll get payed the same as 40 year old Steve Nash.

Lakers2877
07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
It's just an early negotiation tactic that is meaningless. I know Kobe loves his money but he's not dumb enough to think he's gonna get a 2 or 3 year deal worth 50-70 million when he'll be 38-39 at the end of the deal with the amount of surgeries he's had. If he does insist on a ridiculous extension I'm sure the Lakers will say thanks for everything Kobe. Well see you at your statue ceremony in 5 Years. I can see a franchise like the Bobcats or Philly, giving him a bunch of dough to let him shoot away at the scoring record

poido123
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
It's just an early negotiation tactic that is meaningless. I know Kobe loves his money but he's not dumb enough to think he's gonna get a 2 or 3 year deal worth 50-70 million when he'll be 38-39 at the end of the deal with the amount of surgeries he's had. If he does insist on a ridiculous extension I'm sure the Lakers will say thanks for everything Kobe. Well see you at your statue ceremony in 5 Years. I can see a franchise like the Bobcats or Philly, giving him a bunch of dough to let him shoot away at the scoring record

But would they really? I mean, kobe asks for what he wants because he knows he is worth it and brings in alot of revenue. If he asked for a big contract, why would they say no and tell him to walk? He will make alot more for Lakers than what any contract he signs.

TheBigVeto
07-11-2013, 12:41 AM
It's not wrong for him to say that he doesn't want a paycut. Just like it's not wrong to say that he's not worth all that money.

Droid101
07-11-2013, 12:45 AM
I forget... did Duncan take the minimum on his last extension?

NASH = BEST
07-11-2013, 12:48 AM
I don't hate on him at all. What he said makes sense. But I saw numerous threads about how Kobe would adjust to allow the team to build a contender around him. Getting every single penny and accommodating the team in building a winner are two concepts that oppose each other. I think Kobe would rationalize his decision by saying he can do it basically by himself, and he would believe it. But we all know better. He can't win a championship at this stage without recruiting some higher priced, younger help than he has right now.

People keep saying, "Oh Kobe would take less to build a team" and "Kobe will adjust when he has better teammates." No he won't. That's just not who he is so his fans should stop trying to say he's something he's not just to make him appear more noble.

Getting all the money you can is the smart thing to do. Only a select few in the NBA could get away with taking less, since the vast majority of them can't manage money to save their lives and will be broke eventually anyway.

Yeah, agree.

I don't think Kobe will want to settle for less money than what he thinks he is worth (smart on his behalf).

And don't doubt that Kobe is likely to believe that he can still do it by himself either.

Although, I guess he did try to recruit Howard :rolleyes: I guess.

Kobe's true intentions will be revealed soon enough.

He has mentioned that he wants to remain a Laker for the rest of his career.
He has also said that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win championships.

If both are true, then he will have to accommodate the Lakers by taking less than what he thinks he's worth.

tazb
07-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Selfish POS. Mark Cuban was right, Lakers should've amnestied him.

Zedja
07-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Selfish POS. Mark Cuban was right, Lakers should've amnestied him.
I wish Jeff would amnesty you from this site.

Is He Ill
07-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Our god has to feed his kids.

Hoopz2332
07-11-2013, 01:39 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/kobe-2.jpg

:biggums: :oldlol:

KG215
07-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Actually, an ISH amnesty period every summer wouldn't be a bad idea. But there's posters that need to go before tazb. He's not clever or creative in his trolling, which means he's not nearly as annoying as quite a few others.

KingLeBronJames
07-11-2013, 02:18 AM
I just watched the interview. The quotation was taken out of context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ICQCfvv70&feature=youtu.be

Graviton
07-11-2013, 02:37 AM
http://www.foodnut.com/i/KOME-Buffet-Daly-City/Kome-Buffet-Daly-City-exterior-decor.jpg
:roll:

I actually ate there couple times, it's right next to the movie theater like a mile away from my house.

bdreason
07-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Nobody gonna give Kobe anywhere near a max contract at the age of 35/36 coming off an achilles injury. A lot will depend on how he performs next season, but I can't see him getting any more than 8-10m per year, for maybe 2-3 years.

bdreason
07-11-2013, 02:45 AM
I forget... did Duncan take the minimum on his last extension?

Duncan made 10m last season, and took his team to the NBA Finals. Kobe made 30m last season, and took his team to the 8th seed, and a 1st round sweep.

FiveRings
07-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Nobody gonna give Kobe anywhere near a max contract at the age of 35/36 coming off an achilles injury. A lot will depend on how he performs next season, but I can't see him getting any more than 8-10m per year, for maybe 2-3 years.
:roll:

Someone's living in their own fantasy world. Kobe getting less money than Nash :lol Hell, that scrub Josh Smith just got 14 mil a year. Kobe is still first team All NBA. He'll get payed maybe twice what you're thinking.

irondarts
07-11-2013, 02:53 AM
A couple of things on this topic:

1. I don't blame players for getting all they can, why wouldn't they? They are severely overpaid, but it's not their fault, it's the market that the owners set. I think athletes get a ton of shit and are called greedy and it's stupid to me. These players did not set the market for these insanely high salaries, but it is what it is, so why not get what you're worth on the market that's been set?

2. Kobe Bryant is not getting 30 Million a year, in any case, he's taking a cut from what he's making, but he's still likely going to get major money.

3. Nobody wants to take a pay cut, athletes are just like everyone else, and their agents get paid to get the most they can. I think it's honorable when a star takes less so the team can get other guys, but I'm not going to rip a player for getting the most he can, either.

Blame the owners for setting the market for these overpaid players, not the players themselves.

tpols
07-11-2013, 02:54 AM
Duncan made 10m last season, and took his team to the NBA Finals. Kobe made 30m last season, and took his team to the 8th seed, and a 1st round sweep.
Duncan took the Spurs to the Finals like Rasheed Wallace took the Pistons to the Finals in 04.. or Kenyon Martin took NJ to the Finals in 03.

bdreason
07-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Duncan took the Spurs to the Finals like Rasheed Wallace took the Pistons to the Finals in 04.. or Kenyon Martin took NJ to the Finals in 03.

Please. Duncan was 18/10 on 50% with almost 3 bpg last season... in only 30 mpg. Per 36 he was 21/12/3. He was at worst the Spurs 2nd best player last year, and I would argue the most important considering his defensive presence.

KG215
07-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Come on man, you're better than that. Duncan's impact, in totality (defense and offense), was greater than Martin's impact in '03 and Sheed's impact in '04.

tpols
07-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Please. Duncan was 18/10 on 50% with almost 3 bpg last season... in only 30 mpg. Per 36 he was 21/12/3. He was at worst the Spurs 2nd best player last year, and I would argue the most important considering his defensive presence.
I dont care what he is per 36.. the reason he cant hit that mark is because hes old. Makes zero sense to factor in what didnt and couldnt happen.

K-Mart put up 19/10 with elite defense, best big man defender on the best defensive team in the league while playing in a slower grind it out pace. They were both support players.. very good second options.

Parkers been this teams leader and best player for the past three years now and was their best overall performer for the playoffs. Spurs were as well rounded, stacked, and well coached as any team in the world and were led by a perimeter attack and some of the best 3 point shooting ever.

poido123
07-11-2013, 03:15 AM

Cosign.

Optimus Prime
07-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Kids :facepalm

It's called negotiating. Kobe is even quoted as saying that. It would be foolish of Kobe to say he'll take the vets min or even like 10 mil. That would completely destroy his negotiating position. He'll start off with a high number then they will negotiate down to the middle. They'll probably settle in the 10-15 mil per year range. His drawing presence and marketability alone are easily worth every penny he will be paid.

Once yall graduate high school in a few years you might learn it. :kobe:

Unbiased_one
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Shaq was not All NBA first team this season.

Let's face it...kobe was in it on reputation. He had a great offensive season but played literally no defense all season. Defense is half the game.

tmacattack33
07-11-2013, 11:00 AM

oh the horror
07-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Basically yeah. It's a tactic.

Kobe will try to get a good deal. If its over the top then Lakers part ways. It's simple as that.

Kblaze8855
07-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Get the **** outta here.......

PJR
07-11-2013, 12:39 PM

This belongs in this thead: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239468

tpols
07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Get the **** outta here.......
Im sorry:oldlol:

But the argument that the poster I quoted made was completely disingenuous. Saying Duncan 'led' his team to the Finals.. when he hasnt been the best player on his own team for the past 2-3 years.

Pau Gasol anchored the LA defense in the past and put up even better, much more efficient numbers than Duncan did.. would anyone say he led his team to the Finals?

Duncan was a great support player.. his offense was putback man, set shooter, and occasional post up. And he wasnt too efficient at it. Supplemental scoring at best.

He wasnt controlling the offense, nor was he a catalyst for their big runs. That was Parker, and Manu breaking down the defense and the ball being swung around for 3 pt barrages when the defenses were scrambling. Spurs jumped out on all their wins with a devastating perimeter attack. That was their MO all playoffs long.

And yes, I know Duncan was the defensive leader. But coaching, schemes and gameplanning on that side of the floor were just as important.

Like in the Finals.. what was the Spurs defensive strategy? Let Bron and Wade shoot. Give them wide open jumpers and sink kawhi and green and whatever other perimeter defenders down and dont let them drive. We saw green make amazing transition defensive plays, Kawhi was great on bron.. even Boris Diaw took turns limiting Bron.:oldlol:

Defense is more of a team thing than offense and the spurs were far too well rounded to say one player led them anywhere.. especially a player that wasnt even their best performer for the past year

buddha
07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
in other news kobe bryant is planning on getting past the first round again either.

NumberSix
07-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Duncan is the 4th highest paid player on his team.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-11-2013, 02:43 PM
If you actually paid attention to the article, Kobe's only saying he's not going to take a minimum salary and is willing to negotiate a reasonable pay cut. He might get a Nash-like contract, but everyone nee. He won't take a paycut for the sake of just saving the Lakers money, but say if they come up to him and say We can only sign xxx if you take 10M, w/e, he'll do it. He'll still take a paycut if necessary. Kobe's a smart businessman and knows how to negotiate. Obviously it isn't wise to just put up all your cards on the table.

And it's insulting to see Kobe getting a vet's minimum. Even not factoring his marketability, a 35 year old Kobe coming back from surgery is still worth way more than 1.45 Mil. I think he might sign for like maybe 7-13M per year for maybe 2 years.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Im sorry:oldlol:

But the argument that the poster I quoted made was completely disingenuous. Saying Duncan 'led' his team to the Finals.. when he hasnt been the best player on his own team for the past 2-3 years.

Pau Gasol anchored the LA defense in the past and put up even better, much more efficient numbers than Duncan did.. would anyone say he led his team to the Finals?

Duncan was a great support player.. his offense was putback man, set shooter, and occasional post up. And he wasnt too efficient at it. Supplemental scoring at best.

He wasnt controlling the offense, nor was he a catalyst for their big runs. That was Parker, and Manu breaking down the defense and the ball being swung around for 3 pt barrages when the defenses were scrambling. Spurs jumped out on all their wins with a devastating perimeter attack. That was their MO all playoffs long.

And yes, I know Duncan was the defensive leader. But coaching, schemes and gameplanning on that side of the floor were just as important.

Like in the Finals.. what was the Spurs defensive strategy? Let Bron and Wade shoot. Give them wide open jumpers and sink kawhi and green and whatever other perimeter defenders down and dont let them drive. We saw green make amazing transition defensive plays, Kawhi was great on bron.. even Boris Diaw took turns limiting Bron.:oldlol:

Defense is more of a team thing than offense and the spurs were far too well rounded to say one player led them anywhere.. especially a player that wasnt even their best performer for the past year
You have a point.
But you have to be shitting yourself if you think Duncan is not the catalyst or most important player on the 2003 Spurs team. Comparing Duncan to something like Sheed? Not even remotely close.

tpols
07-11-2013, 02:56 PM
You have a point.
But you have to be shitting yourself if you think Duncan is not the catalyst or most important player on the 2003 Spurs team. Comparing Duncan to something like Sheed? Not even remotely close.
Is that 2003 a typo? I was talking only 2013

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-11-2013, 03:17 PM
WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HIM NOT TAKING 1.4 MILL?

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
i could see cuban giving kobe the max.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-11-2013, 03:25 PM
OK. As for 2013 I'm not sure about the course of the regular season. But I felt that Parker outplayed Duncan against the Lakers in round 1 and Memphis in round 3. Not sure about round 2, they each had their struggles, so I'll call it even.

Numbers might not accurately reflect this, but Duncan was definitely the best player on the Spurs in the finals. Not Green, Leonard, Gino or Parker. So why not just give some credit to Duncan for doing this at 37?

DetroitPistonFan
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Watch the video, idiots. Comments were taken out of context.

IGOTGAME
07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Counting another mans money. Extra bitchmade.

Poetry
07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Why would he? the writer is thinking hes going to take a vet min? wtf... who on earth would go from 30M to 1.4M?

MJ :basketball

It was a different situation, but MJ went from 33 million in his last year with the Bulls to 1 million in his first year with the Wizards. And i'm pretty sure he donated that mill to the 9/11 fund.

But by that point, he was just using the NBA as his own personal YMCA.

Bandito
07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
MJ :basketball

It was a different situation, but MJ went from 33 million in his last year with the Bulls to 1 million in his first year with the Wizards. And i'm pretty sure he donated that mill to the 9/11 fund.

But by that point, he was just using the NBA as his own personal YMCA.
Let's be honest, he just came back to play against the Kobe's, Vince's, TMac's and Ai's of the league:roll:

Don't count MJ in this discussion.

Bandito
07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
But how much is he earning per year?

Droid101
07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
So your answer is "No."

Thanks!

PickernRoller
07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
8 pages damn......gotta love Kobe.

No matter how irrelevant or simplistic of a comment he makes. You'll damn be sure the idiots here will eat it up through and through.

Then the haters say they despise him. More like they love him to death and don't know it yet.

sportjames23
07-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Shorter Kobe: Fvck that shit, ya'll ain't stickin' my for my paper.

Goldrush25
07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Watch the video, idiots. Comments were taken out of context.

Who ever takes comments into proper context on this forum? It's more fun to run a thread to 8 pages.

handbanana
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
see, that shlt right there proves kobe is not "all about winning". taking a pay cut, and not being greedy lets your team sign other valuable players, and improves your winning chances.

Draz
07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
People say what is extra cash going to do for someone. After basketball the only real thing people do is spend rather than earn. It outweighs.

raprap
07-12-2013, 07:42 PM
In b4 a "stacked frontline" sentence even though Bynum avg 6ppg 3reb and Odom avg 12ppg (1pt less than Mo Williams) during Lakers playoff run on the 1st of back to backs:rockon:
insecure as f.uck:lol

RRR3
07-12-2013, 10:38 PM

nopaycutbe
selfishbe
greedybe
mememebe
30millayearbe
gimmethatcashbe

anymore?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: