PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 RAW Talents in NBA today

IncarceratedBob
07-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Defined as:

a (1) : being in or nearly in the natural state : not processed or purified <raw fibers> <raw sewage> (2) : not diluted or blended <raw spirits>

Raw talent is a premium in this league, teams will overpay for raw talent. Here is my top 10.

1) Dwight Howard. Probably a top 10 all time player if his raw talent pans out. Elite athleticism, great raw power, good mind.

Ceiling: Top 10 All time Player, HOF

2) Steph Curry. Already a great shooter, but is still very RAW. Can develop passing skills, overall scoring, rebounding. Can be a 30/5/5 PG w/ elite shooting.

Ceiling: Top 10 PG all time, Finals MVP, MVP, multiple scoring titles, HOF

3) Andre Drummond. Baby Dwight with potentially better offensive game.

Ceiling: Top 25 Center All Time, Finals MVP, MVP, DPOY, HOF

4) Bismack Biyombo. He can be a rich mans Dikeme Mutombo if his RAW talent pans out. ELITE defender, can block anybody's shot, also can jump outta the gym. Again, if this guy figures it out it's gonna be fun.

Ceiling: Multiple time DPOY + MVP, POTENTIAL HOF

5) Nick Young. Can score for days, great athleticism and good NBA size. If he puts it together, watch out.

Ceiling: League MVP, Finals MVP, POTENTIAL HOF

6) Iman Shumpert. Can handle the ball, can score, yet he has so much RAW talent. Very good athleticism even after surgery.

Ceiling: Multiple time All Star

7) Norris Cole. Elite vision, good scorer, yet he plays reckless and is very stupid. If he finds a good mentor I think he can be a special player. Can shoot the ball, can drive it. Pass it. Very RAW.

Ceiling: Multiple time All-Star

8) Jarvis Varnado. Extremely RAW but has shown flashes of high level scoring, passing and rebounding. Great athlete. Not a great BB IQ but can learn as time goes on.

Ceiling: All-Star

9) Anthony Davis. Often overrated by many people, very nice skills, athleticism leaves much to be desired but the beauty with RAW talent is that no one knows how much RAW talent someone has, we can only estimate.

10) Nerlens Noel. Not sure what to think of this one as he hasn't played an NBA game yet. But going by what he's done so far he can be an elite defender in the NBA, lead the league in steals and blocks consistently. He is very RAW on offense, little to no offensive game. But he is very smart and has proven he can learn in HS and college, can he do so in the NBA?

Ceiling: Hall of famer
Floor: Out of NBA in 4 years

no pun intended
07-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Any reason Blake Griffin doesn't make your list?

IncarceratedBob
07-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Any reason Blake Griffin doesn't make your list?
Blake will be what he is now for the rest of his career.

He lacks intensity on the floor, no interested in getting better, his talent has been realized. No longer RAW.

He's a great player, Top 15 IMO. But he is who he is.

Jameerthefear
07-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Dwight has no chance for top 10 player of all time...
And how do Nick Young and Bismack Biyombo have higher ceilings than Anthony Davis...?

Johnny Jones
07-13-2013, 02:23 AM
9) Anthony Davis. Often overrated by many people, very nice skills, athleticism leaves much to be desired but the beauty with RAW talent is that no one knows how much RAW talent someone has, we can only estimate.

10) Nerlens Noel. Not sure what to think of this one as he hasn't played an NBA game yet. But going by what he's done so far he can be an elite defender in the NBA, lead the league in steals and blocks consistently. He is very RAW on offense, little to no offensive game. But he is very smart and has proven he can learn in HS and college, can he do so in the NBA?

Ceiling: Hall of famer
Floor: Out of NBA in 4 years
This is laughable. In terms of advanced metrics, Davis had one of the most impressive rookie seasons ever.

Yet you say Nerlens Noel has more potential than him. :facepalm

WayOfWade
07-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Derrick Favors?!

Cali Syndicate
Curry is already an excellent passer with good court vision. He needs improvement with ball security.

IncarceratedBob
Dwight has no chance for top 10 player of all time...
And how do Nick Young and Bismack Biyombo have higher ceilings than Anthony Davis...?
I think AD is overrated

He has had injury issues since high school, I don't think he'll be as great as some people think

noob cake
07-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Defined as:

1) Dwight Howard.
2) Steph Curry.
3) Andre Drummond.
4) Bismack Biyombo.
6) Iman Shumpert.
7) Norris Cole.
8) Jarvis Varnado
9) Anthony Davis.
10) Nerlens Noel.

What the **** happened from 4-8.

1. LeBron
2. Davis
3. Howard
4. Curry
5. Drummond
6. Cousins
7. Irving
8. Bennett
9. McGee
10. JR Smith

Done_And_Done
07-13-2013, 02:26 AM
What the **** happened from 4-8.

1. LeBron
2. Davis
3. Howard
4. Curry
5. Drummond
6. Cousins
7. Irving
8. Bennett
9. McGee
10. JR Smith

How much better do you really expect the dude to get? lol

no pun intended
The issue with this thread is you somehow managed to combine the two most ambiguous, vague words: raw and talent. We can go on for eternity debating what these terms actually mean. But until then, to each their own.

andremiller07
I stopped at Biyombo

Johnny Jones
07-13-2013, 02:27 AM
I think AD is overrated

He has had injury issues since high school, I don't think he'll be as great as some people think
He has had injury issues since high school?

:roll: Okay buddy.

noob cake
07-13-2013, 02:28 AM
How much better do you really expect the dude to get? lol

LeBron is refined raw talent. He has tons of raw talent. He was able to take those talent and become the best player in the NBA.

The list doesn't indicate potential. It just indicate most naturally, physically or in terms of skill, talented players in the NBA.

LeBron James is already unguardable. If LeBron can hit those midrange jumpers that he during game 7 of the finals, I really have no problems calling him the best player ever.

SCdac
07-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Yeah it's worth noting, there's a difference between being raw and just being unskilled / untalented in whatever aspect of the game.

Dwight has played 700+ games and in roughly two years he'll be 30 years old.

Putting him in the same boat with 20 year old Anthony Davis and 19 year old Drummond doesn't compute imo.

Johnny Jones
07-13-2013, 02:33 AM
who the **** is Jarvis Varnado?

andremiller07
07-13-2013, 02:36 AM
who the **** is Jarvis Varnado?
Good shot blocker playing in the Summer League, undersized C struggling to find a spot in the NBA.

BoutPractice
07-13-2013, 05:01 AM
For some reason only bigs come to mind, possibly because they tend to be rawer anyway.

6 names stick out to me.

- Andre Drummond. This is a player who doesn't know how to do anything on offense - he literally has zero offensive game... But even without improving on his skills too much, he would still be one of the most productive centers in the league if given minutes :eek: He could do nothing but dunks and still turn out to be a poor man's Dwight... His ceiling is unbelievable.

- DeMarcus Cousins. Has the potential to be the best offensive bigman in the league, by far - imagine a 25+ ppg scorer who also averages 11/12 rebounds. His combination of size, strength and skills is rare in the history of the game. At 6-10 and Lord knows how many pounds he can lead the break, blow by people with a crossover, make a beautiful pass... there's nothing he can't do. His problem is that he's TOO talented, leading him to make bad decisions when he should turn to simpler, less sexy but more effective moves to become the dominant player he's meant to be.

- Anthony Davis. A ridiculously long player who runs like a guard, he's a defensive nightmare who also has terrific offensive instincts. He's one of the bigs I'm most convinced can develop his offensive game, because the talent is there - he's a former guard with a sweet J - and most importantly, he seems to understand basketball. He's a winner, the kind of player who's not just flash but is also actually productive on the court. People say his ceiling is not as high as it's made out to be, but I disagree. I think at his absolute best he could be an MVP type player. What makes him intriguing is that, although he has a chance to be great, he's a very, very good player in the worst case scenario.

- Nerlens Noel. More of a project, I'm still quite impressed by what I saw of him. He's an athletic marvel, quick and tall with long arms. Defensively his lateral quickness is off the charts, he can do things most players in the league can't do - has the potential to be the best "help and recover" big in the NBA. I'm not too concerned about his bulk either, he seems to have a good enough frame. If you think about it, scouts keep saying players are "too skinny", but how many players have turned out to be busts BECAUSE they were too skinny? Very few. Americans are obsessed with strength, but more players have become fat than been pushed out of the league because they were too skinny. Once you're in the league, you start lifting weights and the problem starts to magically solve itself - contrary to having no clue about basketball, which won't ever solve itself. Offense and injuries are more problematic for Noel. Regarding offense, I see something in him on that end of the court. I'm optimistic because he looks extremely fluid and coordinated in the way he moves. He's the kind of player who could develop great footwork... He's also a good passer, decent finisher, and surprising driver. Finally, he's shown the willingness to take the hook shot. I think it could become a real weapon in his game. So for me it really comes down to injuries.

- Andrew Bynum. On paper, Andrew Bynum is the best center, and possibly - and I realize this is blasphemy - the best player in the league. He's essentially the current Yao Ming. He has the perfect tools to be a dominant center, with no significant weakness you can exploit in his game. He rebounds, is a defensive threat in the paint, can score efficiently with his back to the basket with a variety of moves, can even hit the midrange jumper, and wants to be the guy on offense. Whatever you think of his decision-making off the court, he actually has a decent feel for the game too. There are only two issues with him, but they're huge issues - injuries and immaturity - and he's older than those other guys so I'm a bit skeptical as to his ability to ever put together the kind of season he's capable of.

- JaVale McGee. Physically a player like JaVale McGee shouldn't exist. You could say he won the genetic lottery, but from a purely survival standpoint, he probably needs every bit of his athleticism to compensate for his mental issues. It's like God was in the process of creating him, and stopped midway thinking to himself, "no, this guy would be too good at basketball, it would make the NBA boring... I have an idea! let's make it so his intellectual development will stop at the age of 5!" Still, JaVale McGee is a wonder to watch. Every single game, he'll have two-three plays that make you wonder if they're even possible. He routinely stretches the limits of what can be accomplished in a basketball game with surreal poster dunks, blocks, and surprising plays with the ball. He probably won't fulfill his potential at this point, but the raw talent is definitely there.

Should one of those pan out, the league might solve its center problem.

Fiasco
07-13-2013, 05:08 AM

He lacks intensity on the floor, no interested in getting better, his talent has been realized. No longer RAW.

Kill yourself.

kNIOKAS
07-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Very impressive, you put Nick Young there! Oh my that guy's a scrub. This thread stank :sleeping

unknowns8
07-13-2013, 06:35 AM
LeBron is refined raw talent. He has tons of raw talent. He was able to take those talent and become the best player in the NBA.

The list doesn't indicate potential. It just indicate most naturally, physically or in terms of skill, talented players in the NBA.

LeBron James is already unguardable. If LeBron can hit those midrange jumpers that he during game 7 of the finals, I really have no problems calling him the best player ever.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PleezeBehave
07-13-2013, 06:50 AM
How come Dwight Howard is on there, let alone nr. 1, given the reasons for Blake Griffin not being there?

Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Shade8780
07-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Stephen Curry is raw?!

bagelred
07-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Well I assume any list has to start with CJ Punk and John Cena right at the top.

Or did those guys switch to Smackdown? :confusedshrug: I can't keep track.

wally_world
07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
DeMarcus Cousins
John Wall

dannywpt
07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Gn04H.gif

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Very impressive, you put Nick Young there! Oh my that guy's a scrub. This thread stank :sleeping
$100 says this clown never even seen Nick Young play. Far from a scrub. OP did exaggerate his ceiling tho.

jzek
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
JaVale McGee

Living Being
07-13-2013, 10:51 AM
So you think of someone having RAW talent if they look athletic and skilled, but play dumb as hell or like they don't care sometimes?
There is so much RAW talent in the NBA, it's not funny. Every player is unrefined or has untapped potential to varying degrees.
It's only when players have exhausted every opportunity they have to improve themselves or showcase their talents that you can say they are not a RAW talent. Once someone works their hardest in practice, reaches a plateau in their skills, and is given ample opportunity/minutes to prove themselves against the best competition, then you can say they are not a RAW talent any more.

Inactive
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
7) Norris Cole. Elite vision, good scorer, yet he plays reckless and is very stupid. If he finds a good mentor I think he can be a special player. Can shoot the ball, can drive it. Pass it. Very RAW.
No.

He's a below average shooting talent, with terrible vision, below average passing, and he can't finish over anyone. He's really fast, and has a good motor though.

Nastradamus
07-13-2013, 02:45 PM
I think AD is overrated

That's different than potential.

Mr. NBA
07-13-2013, 04:57 PM
No.

He's a below average shooting talent, with terrible vision, below average passing, and he can't finish over anyone. He's really fast, and has a good motor though. Lol OP doesnt make sense. If Norris Had such raw talent than he would had been a lottery pick.

Also, Dwight is a elite player because he has evolved his raw talent, or else he would be the same player since his rookie year. He has been in the league forever now so dont see how you can say that. Raw talent is Drummond, Noel, Bledsoe, Ed Davis, Blake, Favors.

Also Curry is not raw talent. This dude has crafted his game to make up for his lack of raw talent. A player cant be raw if he has developed his fundamentals as well as Curry.

Anyways, most of the NBA is raw talent, and few refine and work as hard to become elite. Nick Young, JR Smith, Josh Smith, Monta are prime examples of amazing raw talent that didnt live up to it.

Inferno
07-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I feel like Michael Beasley should be mentioned somewhere on these lists. When the dude's not settling for inefficient jumpers, he can get to the rim with both hands pretty damn easily.

KyleKong
07-13-2013, 05:10 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

He's working his ass off for jump shot improvements and his FT% went up this season.

Also, he was 2nd in the league in FG% in the paint I believe.

MastaKilla
07-13-2013, 05:18 PM
How is Steph curry not considered "a refined raw"

I guess he came out the womb with a better jumper than anybody ever

Or he had one of the greatest shooters off all time training him and refining his talents since he was born

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-13-2013, 05:32 PM
I stopped at Biyombo
I stopped at IncarceratedBob.

Stephen Curry is raw?!

How is Steph curry not considered "a refined raw"

I guess he came out the womb with a better jumper than anybody ever

Or he had one of the greatest shooters off all time training him and refining his talents since he was born
I'm guessing almost the whole list is just :facepalm I'm just waiting for someone to quote OP and say "can someone ban this ph@ggot?" I'd do it myself, but, I try not to be mean...

Nash
07-13-2013, 05:44 PM
You mentioning Varnado is strange as hell but not as strange as mentioning what Varnado is good at without talking about his shot blocking.

Real Men Wear Green
07-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Stephen Curry is raw?!
His jumper needs some work.

Ill Will
07-13-2013, 09:04 PM
i like how you had to make it RAW talent after that failure of a thread where you defended dwight

Mass Debator
07-14-2013, 03:26 AM
My definition of RAW is when a player has shown potential to be great from great individual plays but cannot sustain the level of play consistently through lack of practice, coaching, discipline, attitude, injuries, etc.

Some players at the top of my head that I see/saw great talent in are:

Demarcus Cousins
Andrew Bynum
JR Smith
Royce White
Isiah Rider
Blake Griffin
Lamar Odom
Andre Drummond
Michael Beasley
Al Jefferson
Tyreke Evans
Terrence Williams
Wesley Johnson
Delonte West
Josh Howard

ClutchOver9000
07-14-2013, 03:56 AM
JR Smith should be the poster boy for "Raw talent/Superstar potential".

Shame how for whatever reason...some guys just never put it together...