PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report: Warriors have the best starting 5 in the NBA

SacJB Shady
07-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Andre Iguodala Gives Golden State Warriors NBA's Best Starting 5
By Simon Cherin-Gordon

(Featured Columnist) on July 12, 2013

Andre Iguodala, Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut should form 3/5 of the NBA's best starting lineup.

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Despite the consensus "slam dunk" nature of the recent Andre Iguodala signing, the Golden State Warriors' decision to pursue and ultimately sign the star swingman did not instantly improve the team on paper.

Bringing in Iguodala cost the Warriors their top three bench players. Brandon Rush was traded to the Utah Jazz in order to clear cap space, while the $12 million in annual salary promised to Iguodala ended the Warriors' chances of retaining Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry.

The club also lost Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and two future first-round picks in the trade with Utah.

The bench was quickly replenished, however, as general manager Bob Myers brought in Marreese Speights to replace Landry, Toney Douglas to replace Jack and Jermaine O'Neal to replace Biedrins.
Thus, it is now safe to call the Iguodala signing a brilliant one.

Just what does Iguodala gives the the Warriors? Put simply, the best starting five in the NBA.

Assuming the Warriors slide Iguodala into the small forward spot and bring Barnes off the bench, the team will roll out a lineup of Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut.

Of course, this lineup is not guaranteed (Thompson or Lee could come off the bench instead of Barnes), and even if this is the opening day lineup, the "best" starting five in the league will be determined on the court.

On paper, however, this assertion is verifiable.

Weakest Link

Hi-res-166691804_crop_exact Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
The worst player in Golden State's starting lineup may be 2013 All-Star David Lee

Discussing a starting five is different than discussing the best team.

While the Miami Heat may be the best team in the NBA, the fact that they start Mario Chalmers and Udonis Haslem instantly kills their chances of having the league's best starting five.

Miami won the title despite this, due to LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and its incredibly deep bench.
Golden State, however, has no such flaws in their starting five. The weakest link is either Thompson, Lee or Bogut.

Thompson is arguably the second-best shooter in the NBA (after Curry). He's also a near-elite post-up 2 guard, a strong defender and an above-average shot-creater and rebounder.

Lee is a poor defender, but is also an all-star, the reigning double-double king of the NBA and one of the most consistent players on the planet. If anyone who averages 18.5 points, 11.2 rebounds and 3.5 assists on 52 percent shooting is the weakest link in a lineup, said lineup is special.

Bogut had a disappointing season last year, but still was one of the better centers in the NBA due to his rare ability to block shots, defend bigs, rebound, run the floor, handle, pass and score. When healthy, he's a top-5 center in the league.

I'm stumped. Pick your own weakest link, it really doesn't matter.

Star Power and Leadership

The absence of a weak spot does not automatically make a great starting lineup. Stars win games; above-average players just stop you from losing them.

With Curry and Iguodala, the Warriors have two real game changers.

Curry established himself during the second half of last season and the postseason as a true superstar. He was already the best shooter in the league, but he broke out as one of the league's most unstoppable offensive forces. He's a top-five PG and top-15 player entering the 2013-14 season.

Iguodala is one of the most versatile players on the planet. He can explode through the lane, finish at the rim, create his own shot, create shots for teammates and rebound extremely well. What makes him a true star, however, is his defensive ability.

With his combination of length, strength, quickness, intensity and basketball IQ, Iguodala is one of the top-five wing defenders in the NBA and is a top-five player at his position, whether it be SG or SF.

Hi-res-167944104_crop_exact Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
In Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry, the Warriors have two of the best leaders in the NBA.

Iguodala was the best player on the 57-win Denver Nuggets last season. Curry was the leader of the 47-win Warriors. That's a scary amount of success to bring together in one place.

Offensive Harmony

Looking at the individual abilities of a starting five is relevant to the conversation, but the way they fit together on the court is far more important.

After all, the Los Angeles Lakers had the best starting five in the NBA based on individual talent last season, but Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard were nowhere near the league's most successful lineup.

A great starting five needs a hierarchy of scoring options, a diversity of scoring types, a main ball-handler, several good passers and dirty-work guys.

Curry is clearly the Warriors go-to scorer. The second option is Lee. Thompson and Iguodala are next, followed by Bogut.

Curry can score with his deadly outside shot or with his filthy array of close-to-mid-range finishes. Lee is deadly from mid-range and can get to the line. Thompson is an assassin from deep and the high-post.

Iguodala is an exceptional slasher and can finish at the rim. Bogut is dangerous as a roll man as well as a lob recipient.

Curry is the main ball-handler and an exceptional one at that. His passing ability are also elite. Iguodala is one of the best passing small forwards in the league, while Lee and Bogut are without a doubt the NBA's best-passing front court.

And if you ever want to win a 50-50 ball, set a mean screen and grab an offensive board all in one trip down. You want Iguodala, Bogut and Lee on the court.

Defensive Versatility

The weakness of the Warriors starting five is on the defensive end.

That being said, they have one of the top-10 defensive lineups in the league.

With Iguodala and Bogut, the Warriors can match up against a Tony Parker and Tim Duncan or a James Harden and Howard as well as almost any team in the league.

Hi-res-167941767_crop_exact Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
Even Andre Iguodala should know not to go into the paint against Andrew Bogut.

Thompson is more than capable of guarding a team's second-best wing player, while Curry's ability to create turnovers, draw charges and defend pick-and-rolls make him an incredibly underrated defender.

Lee is a very poor defender, but with two elite d-men, one plus-defender and one creating turnovers, Lee should rarely have to guard an elite offensive player and can focus his efforts on clearing the defensive glass.

Lee is an elite rebounder and Bogut is a very good one. Iguodala is an excellent rebounding small forward, while Thompson and Curry are both above-average rebounders for their positions.

Very Good, But the Best?

I could sit here and discuss this lineup all day, giving you my opinions on how efficiently they'll score and why they will fit together so cohesively.

But unless you're already predisposed to believe what I'm saying

PickernRoller
07-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Lakers had the best starting five.....:lol :lol

Means nothing. Nice read.....NOT.

Dizzle-2k7
07-13-2013, 06:47 AM
any team dumb enough to bench Barnes deserves whats coming to em (1st round exit)

cos88
07-13-2013, 06:51 AM
any team dumb enough to bench Barnes deserves whats coming to em (1st round exit)

so who do you want them to bench?

klay? iggy?

Unbiased_one
07-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Andre Iguodala Gives Golden State Warriors NBA's Best Starting 5
By Simon Cherin-Gordon

(Featured lineup.

Cary Edmondson- the Utah Jazz in order to clear cap space, while the signing a brilliant one.

five in the league will be determined on the court.
-

With Iguodala and Bogut, the Warriors can match up against a Tony Parker and Tim Duncan or a James Harden and Howard as well as almost any team in the league.

I could sit here and discuss this lineup all day, giving you my opinions on how efficiently they'll score and why they will fit together so cohesively.

But unless you're already predisposed to believe what I'm saying—whether that predisposition exists due to your status as an avid Dubs' fan or because you love my writing for some unknown reason—you'll be asking why this makes the Warriors' lineup better than the Brooklyn Nets' new power quintet, the San Antonio Spurs' starters that rolled through the playoffs, the Indiana Pacers' dominant lineup or the Memphis Grizzlies' fabulous five.

Brooklyn is stronger than Golden State at two positions: center and power forward. The Warriors are stronger at the other three, while also being younger at every position besides center.

San Antonio narrowly beat the Warriors last postseason, and that was with Lee injured. A healthy Lee would have forced the Spurs to play much more honest defense against Golden State's backcourt.

Meanwhile, the Spurs took advantage of the Warriors' poor wing defense, which is a strength now with Iguodala.

Indiana has a powerhouse defensive lineup, but while Roy Hibbert, David West and Paul George are all only marginally better than Golden State's front three, the Dubs' backcourt is miles better than Indiana's.

The Grizzlies also roll out a superior frontcourt to Golden State, but Iguodala is far better than any Memphis SF, Thompson is a better two-way player than Tony Allen, and Curry is far more of a game-changer than Mike Conley.

This conversation may be different if the Grizzlies still had Rudy Gay.

How good does the Warriors starting lineup look?
Best in NBA
23.9%
Top Three
41.1%
Top Five
25.0%
Top 10
8.2%
Average
1.8%
Total votes: 4,640

It remains to be seen how well the Warriors' lineup performs. The question is not whether they'll be good, but if they'll play up to these extremely lofty expectations.

For now, they certainly pass the "on paper" and "in theory" tests, and they do so with higher marks than any other NBA team.

As usual the bleacher report showcase their total idiocy. The heat starting lineup was +14.1 per 36 last season, by far the best in the nba. Next were the thunder on +10.2 (AFAIR)

Dizzle-2k7
07-13-2013, 06:53 AM
so who do you want them to bench?

klay? iggy?

shouldnt have signed iggy... but if you gotta choose -> klay lacks the overall firepower on both ends of the floor that barnes has

Shade8780
07-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Stopped reading at Bleacher Report...

All Net
07-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Barnes will be a great spark off the bench....

devin112
07-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Bleacher Report knows more than us. As a Warriors fan, I'm honored

we know you ain't a real fan, stop it. no one believes you

SpurrDurr
07-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Barnes will be a great spark off the bench....

Yeh but even if he ll get a good amount of minutes i find it really upsetting since he's one of the top young prospects of the NBA and had a good season and a great POs run.

He can do it all both offensive and defensive end, while Iggy and Klay aren't in the same tier as him in terms of talent.

I hope he doesn't take it wrong cause it might delay/ruin his development.
That's not how you reward a future star, you should build around/with him, not signing another guard and make him become a 6th man player.

All Net
07-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeh but even if he ll get a good amount of minutes i find it really upsetting since he's one of the top young prospects of the NBA and had a good season and a great POs run.

He can do it all both offensive and defensive end, while Iggy and Klay aren't in the same tier as him in terms of talent.

I hope he doesn't take it wrong cause it might delay/ruin his development.
That's not how you reward a future star, you should build around/with him, not signing another guard and make him become a 6th man player.

Believe it or not I don't see his minutes going down....

SpurrDurr
07-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Believe it or not I don't see his minutes going down....

I know but if i was him i'd be still pissed.

SpurrDurr
07-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Iggy can be the 6th man. So what if they are paying him all that money? They did that for years with Biedrins, at least we can get performance for our money. Iggy can back up both the 2 and the 3 or the back up 1 and when Barnes moves over to the 4, Iggy can play with Barnes.

That would be better if Iggy accepted a 6th man role. It's gonna happen anyway sooner or later, i see Iggy game slowly declining while Barnes can only improve.

knickballer
07-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Should Lee come off the bench? Barnes can start at 4 and then Lee can finish with many minutes at 4 and some 5 while Barnes plays 2 and 3

no?

I'm sure Lee at stretches will play the 5 with the warriors playing small ball and running against the opposition. David Lee has to be in the lineup as he's the best interior scorer.

Having Barnes coming off the bench as a scorer would be great. Iggy isn't best used as a 6th man.

OmniStrife
07-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Bleacher Report:

Stopped reading there.

SyRyanYang
07-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Stopped reading there.

Suns fan:
Stopped reading due to irrelevance.

TheReturn
07-13-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't think Barnes will be very effective coming off the bench as a scorer. That's really not his game. That said, their starting five looks awesome.

jzek
07-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Best right now (at least on paper) is Brooklyn's:

Williams
Johnson
Pierce
Garnett
Lopez

Either a current or former All-Star :eek:

All Net
07-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Best right now (at least on paper) is Brooklyn's:

Williams
Johnson
Pierce
Garnett
Lopez

Either a current or former All-Star :eek:

If they were in their prime...sure.

Clifton
07-13-2013, 09:57 AM
The club also lost Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and two future first-round picks in the trade with Utah.

The bench was quickly replenished, however, as general manager Bob Myers brought in Marreese Speights to replace Landry, Toney Douglas to replace Jack and Jermaine O'Neal to replace Biedrins.
Losing Biedrins and Jefferson is irrelevant, but losing those first rounders is a bad thing. Future firsts are known to turn into things like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and the #2 pick in the Lebron draft all the time.

As for the Warriors, this does make them outside contenders, a top 5 team certainly. But the weak link is Bogut. As far as I can tell, he's a liability on offense, and his season-ending injury is a matter of "when" not "if". If he goes down, all they've got is an ancient Jermaine O'Neal to replace him.

And I think losing Landry will hurt more than many realize. He's a great third big.

Rubio2Gasol
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
It's a nice balance for a starting 5. With Iggy and Lee teams won't be able to hound Curry like they did in the playoffs. Every player other than Lee is good defensively, every player other than Bogut can shoot - and get to the rim.

As for Bogut - while his free throw shooting is somewhat a liability- he's a team player and won't complain if subbed for the cause. On offense he gives them flexibility, while not possessing any great array of moves, he passes it well and feeds off scraps inside. Very unselfish offensively.

If they could only guarantee he stay healthy. Need to whoever worked with Roy Hibbert to do some work with him.

OmniStrife
07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Suns fan:
Stopped reading due to irrelevance.
Irrelevance... says the guy that lives here:
http://i.imgur.com/URVUT3R.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tell me, who won most valuable sheep ****er this summer?

qrich
07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

[/thread]

Nastradamus
07-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Barnes coming off the bench is just fine. Lets not annoint him anything just yet. He hasn't proven jack shit. He got hot for a few games after averaging 9 friggin' points per game last year with an 11.0 PER. He still can't handle or pass and he's an average defender(though capable of becoming a good one if he ever focuses).

Iguodala is a stud, arguably the best wing defender in the league who's also a plus passer and rebounder for his position and a great leader. He's a huge upgrade for the starting lineup and Barnes is an upgrade for the bench. If Barnes plays well, he'll see even more minutes than he saw last year, he has nothing to complain about.

Charlie Sheen
07-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Losing Biedrins and Jefferson is irrelevant, but losing those first rounders is a bad thing. Future firsts are known to turn into things like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and the #2 pick in the Lebron draft all the time.

As for the Warriors, this does make them outside contenders, a top 5 team certainly. But the weak link is Bogut. As far as I can tell, he's a liability on offense, and his season-ending injury is a matter of "when" not "if". If he goes down, all they've got is an ancient Jermaine O'Neal to replace him.

And I think losing Landry will hurt more than many realize. He's a great third big.

3/4 of your argument for future firsts being relevant are Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and James Worthy? Really? That was a different world. It doesn't happen anymore. The 83 draft is the most recent example I can think of with Dominique. 30 damn years ago! This stinks like you just ripped it straight out of that kblaze post on laker mystique and shoehorned it into your reply here

leopoldstotch
07-13-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

sundizz
07-13-2013, 12:43 PM
The Dubs will be amazing. I love them. They should bring Iggy off the bench. Putting Barnes (who already has trouble being assertive) as a bench player will slow his mental confidence in his abilities. Iggy on the other hand has been in the league for a good while and if he can become a Manu type player and provide whatever the Warriors needs he'll make the team that much better.

The biggest thing is whether Bogut and Curry can stay healthy though. That's a big question mark sadly as always.

Clifton
07-13-2013, 01:32 PM
3/4 of your argument for future firsts being relevant are Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and James Worthy? Really? That was a different world. It doesn't happen anymore. The 83 draft is the most recent example I can think of with Dominique. 30 damn years ago! This stinks like you just ripped it straight out of that kblaze post on laker mystique and shoehorned it into your reply here
It has nothing to do with era. It can happen to anyone, anytime.

The Suns sold a pick that became Rajon Rondo for $3 mil because they already had Nash. Now what do they have?

You don't trade picks unless you're trading for a piece that can make you a championship contender. Miami doesn't regret trading picks for Shaq, and LA doesn't regret trading picks for Gasol, and Boston doesn't regret trading picks for KG. But what other examples can you find me of trading first rounders helping a team that didn't become a title contender right away? Seems to me you won't find too many. Even a guy as good as Melo was traded for draft picks... check out the Nuggets last year. They're at least as good as they were with Melo and AI, and their future looks brighter. Now tell me what NY's future looks like.

What if Indiana had fallen in love with someone like Al Jefferson or Joe Johnson and had given up some mid-first rounders for him a few years ago? They wouldn't have guys like Paul George, and one of the brightest futures in the NBA.

Most NBA success stories, now and in the past, come from draft picks, not free agency, and certainly not desperate trades for non-superstars that trade away your future.

Again, I love Iguodala on this team, but TWO first rounders is a LOT to give up for someone who's not a top 25 player in the NBA. If I give up two first rounders, I expect to get back prime D Wade or KG. Not a wing player who'll score 9 points on 2/7 from the field in a playoff game and it won't feel underwhelming because he's that passive.

Ill Will
07-13-2013, 01:44 PM
laughed at the "can create his own shot". iguodala is hardly good for anything besides dunking. found it funny how they called him the best player on the nuggets when Ty Lawson has him beat. i don't know how much he's going to do for the warriors

SpurrDurr
07-13-2013, 02:03 PM
laughed at the "can create his own shot". iguodala is hardly good for anything besides dunking. found it funny how they called him the best player on the nuggets when Ty Lawson has him beat. i don't know how much he's going to do for the warriors

He is going to give a huge boost to the defense. But like you said he can't shoot at all, he can only score inside the paint.. kinda weird considering how much GSW rely on 3pointers.

Rubio2Gasol
07-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Can't shoot at all is a heavy exaggeration....he's a good shooter. Most importantly perhaps is that he can take over ball handling so they can free up curry without having to go into Jarett Jack's iso game.

On Barnes -if he wants to be this guy that can create his own shot and what not, then coming off the bench will be fine. He'll get minutes and he'll actually get more touches.

Cali Syndicate
07-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Iggy is another ballhandler and playmaker for the dubs which really helps. I have no problem with curry at point but he's also very good off the ball. Bogut, Lee and Iggy are all very good passers at their positions. With curry and klay running off screens looking for shots on the perimter, interior play also opens up. This offense is going to be nice. My only concern is with Barnes. I really hope he doesn't lost in the shuffle. I have a feeling warriors ate going to play a lot of small ball this season though.

Kingwillball
07-13-2013, 02:14 PM
NJ, GS and Houston all much improved IMO..

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Stopped reading there.
hmm, I stopped reading at "SacJB Shady".

IncarceratedBob
07-13-2013, 02:17 PM
NJ, GS and Houston all much improved IMO..
Nets are old, maybe 5 years ago they'd have a good lineup.

Houston still has terrible players at the PG and PF position. Can't see them being any good.

(e)
07-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Best in the league? I wouldn't go that far, top 5 probably.

Brooklyn. Derron, Joe, PP, KG, Lopez. (Future HOFers or recent All Stars everywhere)
Bulls. Rose, Butler, Deng, Boozer, Noah. (Former MVP, 3 All Stars)
Miami. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, who cares who's at the other 2 spots.

Thunder are right there too.

Kingwillball
07-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Nets are old, maybe 5 years ago they'd have a good lineup.

Houston still has terrible players at the PG and PF position. Can't see them being any good.

Nets still Loaded.. The AK47 move put them over the top but they might have the deepest 1-12 in the NBA and they still have guys in their prime like Dwill, JJ, Lopez and a couple bench players. Than U have Vets like KG, PP, AK47, Terry and your looking pretty tough..

bdreason
07-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Nice thing about Barnes is he can come off the bench and replace anyone but Curry.

If they pull Thompson, Iggy shifts to SG and Barnes plays SF.

If they pull Iggy, Barnes slides into the SF spot.

If they pull Lee, Barnes can slide into the PF spot.

If they pull Bogut, Lee can slide to C, and Barnes can play PF.

Theoretically they could also pull Curry, and have Iggy plays point-forward... although I wouldn't want to see that for more than a small stretch.

bdreason
07-13-2013, 03:10 PM
I could also see Thompson coming off the bench. As much as he loves to shoot, he could really be given the green light with the 2nd unit, and would keep an elite shooter on the court at all times for spacing.

Scholar
07-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Stopped reading at "SacJBShady."

Magic 32
07-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Stopped reading at "SacJBShady."

:lol

devin112
07-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Hardcore. Proud to be part of the bay

Don't make me post up those threads from last season where you talked a ton of shit about GSW and sucked the Laker's d!ck.

COnDEMnED
07-13-2013, 06:06 PM
SacShit thread AND Bleacher Report all in one? Mods delete finger must be tired to let this one stay.

monkeypox
07-13-2013, 06:07 PM
You have to say it's Bleacher Report at the end of the OP or no one will bother to take it seriously.

All Net
07-14-2013, 01:34 AM
SacShit thread AND Bleacher Report all in one? Mods delete finger must be tired to let this one stay.

No need to when it's something worth discussing.

Sharmer
07-14-2013, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=SacJB Shady]Andre Iguodala Gives Golden State Warriors NBA's Best Starting 5
By Simon Cherin-Gordon

(Featured Columnist) on July 12, 2013

Andre Iguodala, Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut should form 3/5 of the NBA's best starting lineup.

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Despite the consensus "slam dunk" nature of the recent Andre Iguodala signing, the Golden State Warriors' decision to pursue and ultimately sign the star swingman did not instantly improve the team on paper.

Bringing in Iguodala cost the Warriors their top three bench players. Brandon Rush was traded to the Utah Jazz in order to clear cap space, while the $12 million in annual salary promised to Iguodala ended the Warriors' chances of retaining Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry.

Thus, it is now safe to call the Iguodala signing a brilliant one.

Just what does Iguodala gives the the Warriors? Put simply, the best starting five in the NBA.

Assuming the Warriors slide Iguodala into the small forward spot and bring Barnes off the bench, the team will roll out a lineup of Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut.

Of course, this lineup is not guaranteed (Thompson or Lee could come off the bench instead of Barnes), and even if this is the opening day lineup, the "best" starting five in the league will be determined on the court.

On paper, however, this assertion is verifiable.

Weakest Link

Hi-res-166691804_crop_exact Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
The worst player in Golden State's starting lineup may be 2013 All-Star David Lee

Discussing a starting five is different than discussing the best team.

While the Miami Heat may be the best team in the NBA, the fact that they start Mario Chalmers and Udonis Haslem instantly kills their chances of having the league's best starting five.

Miami won the title despite this, due to LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and its incredibly deep bench.
Golden State, however, has no such flaws in their starting five. The weakest link is either Thompson, Lee or Bogut.

Thompson is arguably the second-best shooter in the NBA (after Curry). He's also a near-elite post-up 2 guard, a strong defender and an above-average shot-creater and rebounder.

Lee is a poor defender, but is also an all-star, the reigning double-double king of the NBA and one of the most consistent players on the planet. If anyone who averages 18.5 points, 11.2 rebounds and 3.5 assists on 52 percent shooting is the weakest link in a lineup, said lineup is special.

Bogut had a disappointing season last year, but still was one of the better centers in the NBA due to his rare ability to block shots, defend bigs, rebound, run the floor, handle, pass and score. When healthy, he's a top-5 center in the league.

I'm stumped. Pick your own weakest link, it really doesn't matter.

Star Power and Leadership

The absence of a weak spot does not automatically make a great starting lineup. Stars win games; above-average players just stop you from losing them.

With Curry and Iguodala, the Warriors have two real game changers.

Curry established himself during the second half of last season and the postseason as a true superstar. He was already the best shooter in the league, but he broke out as one of the league's most unstoppable offensive forces. He's a top-five PG and top-15 player entering the 2013-14 season.

Iguodala is one of the most versatile players on the planet. He can explode through the lane, finish at the rim, create his own shot, create shots for teammates and rebound extremely well. What makes him a true star, however, is his defensive ability.

With his combination of length, strength, quickness, intensity and basketball IQ, Iguodala is one of the top-five wing defenders in the NBA and is a top-five player at his position, whether it be SG or SF.

Hi-res-167944104_crop_exact Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
In Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry, the Warriors have two of the best leaders in the NBA.

Iguodala was the best player on the 57-win Denver Nuggets last season. Curry was the leader of the 47-win Warriors. That's a scary amount of success to bring together in one place.

Offensive Harmony

Looking at the individual abilities of a starting five is relevant to the conversation, but the way they fit together on the court is far more important.

After all, the Los Angeles Lakers had the best starting five in the NBA based on individual talent last season, but Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard were nowhere near the league's most successful lineup.

A great starting five needs a hierarchy of scoring options, a diversity of scoring types, a main ball-handler, several good passers and dirty-work guys.

Curry is clearly the Warriors go-to scorer. The second option is Lee. Thompson and Iguodala are next, followed by Bogut.

Curry can score with his deadly outside shot or with his filthy array of close-to-mid-range finishes. Lee is deadly from mid-range and can get to the line. Thompson is an assassin from deep and the high-post.

Iguodala is an exceptional slasher and can finish at the rim. Bogut is dangerous as a roll man as well as a lob recipient.

Curry is the main ball-handler and an exceptional one at that. His passing ability are also elite. Iguodala is one of the best passing small forwards in the league, while Lee and Bogut are without a doubt the NBA's best-passing front court.

And if you ever want to win a 50-50 ball, set a mean screen and grab an offensive board all in one trip down. You want Iguodala, Bogut and Lee on the court.

Defensive Versatility

The weakness of the Warriors starting five is on the defensive end.

That being said, they have one of the top-10 defensive lineups in the league.

Hi-res-167941767_crop_exact Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
Even Andre Iguodala should know not to go into the paint against Andrew Bogut.

Thompson is more than capable of guarding a team's second-best wing player, while Curry's ability to create turnovers, draw charges and defend pick-and-rolls make him an incredibly underrated defender.

Lee is a very poor defender, but with two elite d-men, one plus-defender and one creating turnovers, Lee should rarely have to guard an elite offensive player and can focus his efforts on clearing the defensive glass.

Lee is an elite rebounder and Bogut is a very good one. Iguodala is an excellent rebounding small forward, while Thompson and Curry are both above-average rebounders for their positions.

Very Good, But the Best?

But unless you're already predisposed to believe what I'm saying

el gringos
07-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Shumpert
JR Smith
Carmelo
Bargnani
Chandler/Amare

Is the best 5 in the league- everybody knows that- they'll eventually have a coach that knows that

ispin69
07-14-2013, 02:38 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bduzqGzR1rsawgno1_500.gif

Steph Curry = arguably a chucker
Igoudala = career loser, stats padder

OmniStrife
07-14-2013, 05:37 AM
Shumpert
JR Smith
Carmelo
Bargnani
Chandler/Amare

Is the best 5 in the league- everybody knows that- they'll eventually have a coach that knows that
Knicks forgot how to PG

COnDEMnED
07-14-2013, 06:53 AM
The Warriors are legit. Nobody is laughing, people are just arguing and getting defensive about how the Warriors have the best starting 5 and best 6 player rotation. Seriously, read all the mixed responses. If I would have said the Bobcats have the best starting 5, everyone would ask what I'm talking about. Well, all I know is that the Warriors do have the best starting 5 and it's not debatable really. Each player is about a top 5 player at their position. Even if I was a fan of another team, I'd say the Dubs have the best starting 5. You could say Bogut gets hurt or Iggy is a loser, blah blah blah. We're the best so deal with it. It's not the end of your world. as a matter of fact, jump ON the wagon with me.
Too easy. Didn't you just spout off about the Nets having the best starting 5 less than a week ago? Also, Bleacher Report, need I say more. Which wagon are you on, officially, just so we know whose going to crash and burn this year.