PDA

View Full Version : Best Perimeter Defenders in the NBA?

Shade8780
07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
What is your top 5 like?

imdaman99
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
tony allen
shump
avery bradley
westbrook
eric bledsoe

no order, prob forgot somebody.

SilkkTheShocker
07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
LeBron

K Xerxes
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
tony allen
shump
avery bradley
westbrook
eric bledsoe

no order, prob forgot somebody.

Yea, no. Westbrook is a good defender, but he gambles and over commits way too much. Not a great perimeter defender or near the top 5.

And you'd Bledsoe in your top 5? Is that a joke?

I'm not sure about my top 5, but I'd have Bradley, Tony Allen, Conley, Shumpert, Butler, LeBron, Iggy and George all up there.

KobesFinger
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Jimmy Butler
Avery Bradley
Tony Allen
Thabo Sefalosha
Kawhi Leonard

fpliii
07-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Man defense, help D, or overall?

arifgokcen
07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Man defense, help D, or overall?
overall since he said perimeter defense not man defense or help D

SilkkTheShocker
07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Yea, no. Westbrook is a good defender, but he gambles and over commits way too much. Not a great perimeter defender or near the top 5.

I'm not sure about my top 5, but I'd have Bradley, Tony Allen, Conley, Shumpert, Butler, LeBron, Iggy and George all up there.

You're dead on correct about Westbrook. Dead on wrong about Bledsoe. He can play some serious pressure defense. Geroge is a little overrated in that department, but still good. He plays a little tight on his man allowing him to blow by him at times.

DuMa
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Allen
CP3
Lebron
Kawhi
Bradley

But when it comes to playoff defense, I'd put Wade over Bradley/CP3.

Young X
Bledsoe >>>>>

beastee
Jimmy Butler
Avery Bradley
Tony Allen
Thabo Sefalosha
Kawhi Leonard

Replace Thabo with Iggy and I think that is pretty realistic.

Graviton
07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Westbrook is actually a monster man to man defender when he is focused, watch him in the Olympics hound poor guards since they allow a lot more physical play. Or watch Russ shut down CP3 this past season in both of their meetings, he completely locked him up in 4th quarter/OT in one game, and the next for the whole 1st half. His defense against Harden was amazing too when he guarded him, I remember a stretch in 3rd quarter that Westbrook switched on Harden and forced him into an airball and like 3 bricks in a row. :oldlol:

Still, Westbrook is in no way Top 5. As an objective observer that has seen almost everyone play defense in the league, I know who is overrated and who actually lives up to their rep.

Jimmy Butler, Bradley, Lebron, Allen and Iggy would be my choice for Top 5. They have all shown good fundamentals, patience and air tight pressure when motivated and focused. Deng, Shumpert and Thabo are overrated as hell and only excel in one area that doesn't even apply to superstars. Thabo is good at defending some all-star point guards that can't shoot, Deng is good on slow SFs that can't drive like Pierce, Shumpert again uses his size against smaller guards and can pressure someone in stretches but nothing game changing.

Paul George, AK47, Kawhi Leonard are up there too in terms of overall defense.

fpliii
07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
overall since he said perimeter defense not man defense or help D

Allen, George, Iguodala, LeBron, Sefolosha then. Bradley and Shump are going to challenge that group since they should be fully healthy next season.

Graviton
07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Allen, George, Iguodala, LeBron, Sefolosha then. Bradley and Shump are going to challenge that group since they should be fully healthy next season.
What exactly puts Sefalosha above Bradley? The fact that he gets destroyed by every all-star SF/SG he faces and can only guard PGs? You saw his overrated defense in the Finals when he routinely guarded Lebron like he is Ray Allen and got totally destroyed. James only made like 2 shots outside the paint but he had no trouble blowing past Thabo's garbage ass over and over. It was so bad that Harden was the one guarding Lebron in later games. Kawhi/Butler showed how to defend Lebron, they are miles ahead of Thabo as man-to-man defenders, and they are also bigger and more athletic so their help defense is most likely more impactful as well.

Bandito
07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
George, Lebron, Tony, Iggy, Bledsoe are my picks.

Shade8780
07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Who would y'all put as #1?

IncarceratedBob
07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Paul George is so overrated

fpliii
07-16-2013, 03:22 PM
What exactly puts Sefalosha above Bradley? The fact that he gets destroyed by every all-star SF/SG he faces and can only guard PGs? You saw his overrated defense in the Finals when he routinely guarded Lebron like he is Ray Allen and got totally destroyed. James only made like 2 shots outside the paint but he had no trouble blowing past Thabo's garbage ass over and over. It was so bad that Harden was the one guarding Lebron in later games. Kawhi/Butler showed how to defend Lebron, they are miles ahead of Thabo as man-to-man defenders, and they are also bigger and more athletic so their help defense is most likely more impactful as well.

Using Defensive RAPM:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2013.html

I think the guys I picked were the top 4 perimeter players (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), LeBron aside. LeBron wouldn't be top 5 since he coasted the first few months this past season, but he was dominant in the playoffs.

Man defense means very little in evaluation to me, especially in today's league.

qrich
07-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Top five goes, in no order:
Thabo Sefelosha
Paul George
Eric Bledsoe
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley

:roll:

What a joke. Says Bledsoe isn't on there, but puts up Bradley and Shumpert when Bledsoe is just as good with his strength and athleticism.

Graviton
07-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Using Defensive RAPM:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2013.html

I think the guys I picked were the top 4 perimeter players (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), LeBron aside. LeBron wouldn't be top 5 since he coasted the first few months this past season, but he was dominant in the playoffs.

Man defense means very little in evaluation to me, especially in today's league.

So your criteria is not the actual game footage or impact in the playoffs against stars but some pointless stat calculated in regular season mostly? Sounds credible.

Doesn't matter what it means to you, man defense is the most important when the game is close or on the line, help defense works against undisciplined teams but with good coaching it's not as effective. Did you even watch the playoffs this year? The key to winning certain games or keeping them close was the man-to-man defense of certain individuals. Butler on Lebron, Lebron on Tony Parker/George, Kawhi on Curry/Lebron. It all starts from your man to man defense, help defense is a nice addition but it's not game changing. Would you consider Ibaka an elite defender just because his help defense is good? Even though his actual post defense, fundamentals and man-to-man D against bigs is terrible?

Twiens
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Tony Allen
Jimmy Butler
Avery Bradley
Iggy
Westbrook

scm5
07-16-2013, 03:39 PM
No mention of Rondo?

Also, KD is up there for me simply because of advanced stats. He has some amazing defensive advanced stats in terms of guarding his own man. I think lowest PPP in the league by a good amount.

Top 5 for me (no order):

Allen
Durant
Rondo
George
Iguodala

The only reason Lebron isn't on the list is because we're not factoring defending in the post. Then, I would definitely add Lebron and Kawhi on and take off Rondo and Durant.

bdreason
07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Mike Conley is the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

Graviton
07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
No mention of Rondo?

Also, KD is up there for me simply because of advanced stats. He has some amazing defensive advanced stats in terms of guarding his own man. I think lowest PPP in the league by a good amount.

Top 5 for me (no order):

Allen
Durant
Rondo
George
Iguodala

The only reason Lebron isn't on the list is because we're not factoring defending in the post. Then, I would definitely add Lebron and Kawhi on and take off Rondo and Durant.

Durant is actually underrated as a man-to-man defender, his length allows him to basically bother anyone not named Lebron. He can keep up with most perimeter players and really screw them up with those mutant arms. He is also a better shotblocker than lebron, and gets more steals than him too lately. His weakness is his strength, hence why Lebron owns him so badly.

I remember in the playoffs when Thabo was getting abused by Kobe in the post, Durant switched on him in the 4th quarters and really took him out thanks to his length, Kobe couldn't hit any jumpers over Durant.

Shade8780
07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Only one person has the nerve to say who they think is the best?

fpliii
07-16-2013, 04:00 PM
So your criteria is not the actual game footage or impact in the playoffs against stars but some pointless stat calculated in regular season mostly? Sounds credible.

Doesn't matter what it means to you, man defense is the most important when the game is close or on the line, help defense works against undisciplined teams but with good coaching it's not as effective. Did you even watch the playoffs this year? The key to winning certain games or keeping them close was the man-to-man defense of certain individuals. Butler on Lebron, Lebron on Tony Parker/George, Kawhi on Curry/Lebron. It all starts from your man to man defense, help defense is a nice addition but it's not game changing. Would you consider Ibaka an elite defender just because his help defense is good? Even though his actual post defense, fundamentals and man-to-man D against bigs is terrible?

Wow, I feel differently about so much of this.

I don't have anything against you as a poster and have no interest in pushing the issue, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Only one person has the nerve to say who they think is the best?

Iggy IMO. LeBron is probably more impactful overall, but he's really a hybrid guy.

Graviton
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Wow, I feel differently about so much of this.

I don't have anything against you as a poster and have no interest in pushing the issue, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Iggy IMO. LeBron is probably more impactful overall, but he's really a hybrid guy.
Don't get me wrong, I think bigs make more of an impact on the game as a whole, but in a close game with minutes left, man-to-man takes over. You have to lock down the main star/ball handler and force them into a tough shot. Bigs may help IF they blow by you but it's mainly the duty of the primary defender to stop his man and make them take the toughest shot possible. In those situations it's all about the quickness, patience and intelligence of the defender that decides the game, not the big men standing behind and waiting. In a sense the perimeter player is on the front lines and he holds the outcome of the game in his hands. At those moments man-to-man defense becomes the most important aspect of the game.

mugiwara
07-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Jimmy Butler, no one can swipe at the ball without breaking the flow of the defensive stance like buckets. Brother hounds with size, speed, strength and a relentless motor. Visibly takes pride in defence aside.

Nastradamus
07-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Butler and George(lead the league in D win shares) are good calls. Thabo is past his prime. Bradley's a good one, as is Rondo. Iguodala is a stud too.

Lebron is probably the best though.

scm5
07-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Durant is actually underrated as a man-to-man defender, his length allows him to basically bother anyone not named Lebron. He can keep up with most perimeter players and really screw them up with those mutant arms. He is also a better shotblocker than lebron, and gets more steals than him too lately. His weakness is his strength, hence why Lebron owns him so badly.

I remember in the playoffs when Thabo was getting abused by Kobe in the post, Durant switched on him in the 4th quarters and really took him out thanks to his length, Kobe couldn't hit any jumpers over Durant.

I totally agree. On the perimeter, Durant is an incredible defender because of his length and mobility. In terms of all around defense though, Lebron is better.

We're just talking about perimeter defense though, and while Lebron is good, he's not as good as the other players I listed (in my opinion). All around defense, Lebron would definitely be on the list.

Shade8780
07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
All the Bulls fans are homers :lol

ClutchOver9000
07-16-2013, 04:56 PM
In no particular order

Allen, Leonard, Shump, Bradley, Butler

Unbiased_one
07-16-2013, 05:05 PM

You are a fool if you think man on man is more important than help defense. A great help defender can elevate an entire defense.