07-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Ray Allen led team to 01 east finals.

Killbot
07-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Peak Ray Allen

scm5
07-18-2013, 09:22 PM
who is better?

Peak Ray Allen is better than Steph Curry is right now, but Steph Curry is still a better shooter now than Ray Allen ever was.

talamo
07-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Peak Ray Allen is better than Steph Curry is right now, but Steph Curry is still a better shooter now than Ray Allen ever was.

Why do u feel he's a better shooter than allen ever was....?

Inferno
07-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Why do u feel he's a better shooter than allen ever was....?

He takes as many threes, if not more, and scores them on a higher %.

talamo
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
He takes as many threes, if not more, and scores them on a higher %.

Tru enuff. didnt know that thanx :cheers:

LosScandalous
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Ray in his prime was a better athlete, created himself more/better shots than steph and was a better defender.

kNicKz
07-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Wow...the hype is real

Ray didnt just shoot 3s some forget (or are currently 13 y.o)

Fresh Kid
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Wow...the hype is real
Tell me about it.

AintNoSunshine
07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Give me RayRay any day of the week, much better all around player

#number6ix#
07-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Prime ray was a beast... He had a silky smooth game... Give me ray all day

LuigiChambles
07-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Peak Ray Allen

WayOfWade
07-18-2013, 10:38 PM
That man needs Jesus

IncarceratedBob
07-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Steph curry would never take a bench role like ray did

Ill take steph

SacJB Shady
07-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Steph curry would never take a bench role like ray did

Ill take steph

I'll take Steph too. Allen is more of a role player, yet his greatest strength was his shooting, which Curry has him beat at. Sorry ray..

JerryWest
07-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Spot up shooter vs a superstar point guard? :roll:

Fresh Kid
07-18-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll take Steph too. Allen is more of a role player, yet his greatest strength was his shooting, which Curry has him beat at. Sorry ray..
He said peak ray though.

RIP CITY
07-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Ray Allen and it's not even close.

ihoopallday
07-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Damn, how old are some of these posters. Allen without a doubt.

SamuraiSWISH
07-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Shuttlesworth, plus his ankles aren't made of glass.

SmackOrH.A.K
07-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Damn people have forgotten how good Ray was.

Prime Ray Allen > Healthy Steph Curry > Reggie Miller

ABfor3
07-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Ray Allen is not just a three point shooter, there's too many kids on this board to know that when Ray Allen was playing for the Bucks and Sonics, he was a consistent scorer from ALL over the court and could actually play defense.
Give me Walter Ray Allen any day of the week

scm5
07-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Ray Allen is not just a three point shooter, there's too many kids on this board to know that when Ray Allen was playing for the Bucks and Sonics, he was a consistent scorer from ALL over the court and could actually play defense.
Give me Walter Ray Allen any day of the week

Actually, no. Ray Allen was notorious for being a poor defender until his Boston days.

KG215
07-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Allen is a role player because he's 38 years old. In his prime and st his leak he was every bit as good a Curry currently is...probably even a little better.

ABfor3
07-19-2013, 03:54 AM
Actually, no. Ray Allen was notorious for being a poor defender until his Boston days.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't considering the fact that I used to live in Seattle during the time he was on the Sonics. I used to watch almost every game, he was a better defender on Boston because he didn't have to carry the scoring load like he had to in Seattle.

Aussie Dunker
07-19-2013, 04:22 AM
Ray Allen was a better player, and was at the top of his game for a good 8-10 years.

Curry has potential to match Allen in terms of how good they were, but the question is can he keep it up like Ray Ray did?

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2013, 04:27 AM
Ray in his prime was a better athlete, created himself more/better shots than steph and was a better defender.
and didn't have glass ankles

Inactive
07-19-2013, 04:44 AM
How is this even a question? Ray.

blacknapalm
07-19-2013, 04:53 AM
peak ray but those that are saying 'easily' or 'not even close' are way mistaken.

curry has evolved his game to the point he can shoot set shots, in transition, off curls, in the paint w/ floaters, etc. barring injury, i think he has ray beat in the shooting department when it comes to getting your shot off..now. once he hits his peak? any defender on him will not only have to be a good individual defender but also be a good communicator with a good team defense in play. he can definitely get his shot off. allen was dangerous all over the court? you might want to look at curry's shot chart. pretty sure you can throw him in there as well.

curry's also a better passer and not just because he's also a better ball handler. i don't think this category is really up for debate. curry can throw no looks, can pass on a rope and still throw some nice bounce passes in traffic. maybe not quite elite but his passing tends to get overlooked. if there's an opening, he tends to find it.

the way curry surpasses allen is getting a bit more strength and being able to finish more in the paint. if he adds that w/ longevity, this become a different discussion.

KNOW1EDGE
07-19-2013, 05:05 AM
That man needs Jesus

This

I guess people either forgot, or weren't alive when Ray was in his prime, had a silky smooth game, could bam out, finish around the hoop with soft touch and athleticism, play defense, wasn't injured every year like Steph.

Curry is a great shooter, not even close to as athletic as Ray was, and not as good on the defensive end.

iamgine
07-19-2013, 05:08 AM
# of seasons Ray Allen had before going to Boston: 11 Seasons.

# of times Ray Allen's team go to playoff: 4 times.

:durantunimpressed:

KNOW1EDGE
07-19-2013, 05:12 AM
# of seasons Ray Allen had before going to Boston: 11 Seasons.

# of times Ray Allen's team go to playoff: 4 times.

So that is our argument/proof that Curry is a better player than Ray Allen in his prime?

#of years Curry has been in the league: 4

#of times hes played in the playoffs: 1

So who has the better % there wise guy??:hammerhead:

KNOW1EDGE
07-19-2013, 05:14 AM
Don't use KD's face in such a moronic post.

He would be very upset with you

2swift4u
07-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Ray!

DCL
07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
curry is a one trick pony.

peak ray had way more overall game.

Straight_Ballin
07-19-2013, 09:11 AM
If we are talking strickly 3 point shooting, then you have to go with Curry because he is the better 3 point shooter. As good as Allen is, Curry is just that much better and that speaks volumes as to just how good Curry can shoot the rock behind the arc.

It you are talking vs peak Ray Allen overall as a player in terms of contribution, then it answer is obviously Allen as he (at his peak) is the better overall player and it's not even close.

DCL
07-19-2013, 09:19 AM
curry's defense.... what defense?

opposing guards always have HUGE nights when they face curry.

here's curry looking like he doesn't even exist on the floor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXQ8aqWmSM

SacJB Shady
07-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Allen was always just a 3 point shooter. Like a Mike Miller but healthy. Of course Curry is better. He will break all his records if healthy.

FatComputerNerd
07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Allen was always just a 3 point shooter. Like a Mike Miller but healthy. Of course Curry is better. He will break all his records if healthy.

This is so far from true.

He's turned into primarily a spot-up shooter now that he's old but in his prime he was an all-around player who did much more than just shoot 3s.

I suggest you watch some of his highlight footage from his younger days. Curry might be as good of a shooter, but Ray was a legit superstar and #1 go-to option for much of his career...

SacJB Shady
07-19-2013, 09:50 AM

He's turned into primarily a spot-up shooter now that he's old but in his prime he was an all-around player who did much more than just shoot 3s.

I suggest you watch some of his highlight footage from his younger days. Curry might be as good of a shooter, but Ray was a legit superstar and #1 go-to option for much of his career...

Curry also scores in other ways too and Mark Jackson claimed him to be an elite defender. Also Curry's a better passer and ball handler.

Bigsmoke
07-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I'd rather run my offense through Curry.....

Rekindled
07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
curry is a one trick pony.

peak ray had way more overall game.

lolwut. Curry can handle and pass way better than Ray ever could. infact Curry led the playoffs in assist per game.

IGOTGAME
07-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Ray Allen is one of the most overrated players on this board. Thing is, so is Steph Curry.

FatComputerNerd
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Curry is a PG

Ray is not and never has been, so using assists #'s to compare the 2 is pretty ridiculous.

TheAnchorman
07-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Ray Allen led team to 01 east finals.
In one of the weakest Eastern conferences in recent memory.

scm5
07-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Ray Allen is one of the most overrated players on this board. Thing is, so is Steph Curry.

Steph Curry is rated just right.

Almost no one puts him in the Top 5 PG's in the league but when you look at the list of the Top PG's in the league, it's hard to argue 5 over him.

CP3
Parker
Westbrook
Rose
Rondo
Kyrie
Deron

CP3, Parker, and Westbrook are obviously better. Rose is a huge question mark at this point, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

5th Spot, who do you take?

Rondo is an amazing PG to me, he's tough and unselfish and a hard nosed defender. Curry is much more dynamic as a PG. He can play off the ball or be ball dominant. He's shown great playmaking abilities, but his shot is something that applies pressure wherever he is on the court. That's something Rondo can't do.

Kyrie is nearly as good as Curry is right now and he's younger. My only issue is that Kyrie is horrible on the defensive end of the floor. Curry is at least an above average defender. He's not a lockdown defender, but he definitely puts in the effort and doesn't miss his defensive rotations.

Deron isn't the Deron we used to know, but maybe he'll be back this season with the revamped Net's lineup. Curry is much better than Deron has been in the past few seasons.

So looking at the list, Curry definitely has an argument for Top 5 PG, yet he's never mentioned. I wouldn't say he's overrated.

iamgine
07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
So that is our argument/proof that Curry is a better player than Ray Allen in his prime?

#of years Curry has been in the league: 4

#of times hes played in the playoffs: 1

So who has the better % there wise guy??:hammerhead:
Not saying Curry's better or anything.

IGOTGAME
07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Steph Curry is rated just right.

Almost no one puts him in the Top 5 PG's in the league but when you look at the list of the Top PG's in the league, it's hard to argue 5 over him.

CP3
Parker
Westbrook
Rose
Rondo
Kyrie
Deron

CP3, Parker, and Westbrook are obviously better. Rose is a huge question mark at this point, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

5th Spot, who do you take?

Rondo is an amazing PG to me, he's tough and unselfish and a hard nosed defender. Curry is much more dynamic as a PG. He can play off the ball or be ball dominant. He's shown great playmaking abilities, but his shot is something that applies pressure wherever he is on the court. That's something Rondo can't do.

Kyrie is nearly as good as Curry is right now and he's younger. My only issue is that Kyrie is horrible on the defensive end of the floor. Curry is at least an above average defender. He's not a lockdown defender, but he definitely puts in the effort and doesn't miss his defensive rotations.

Deron isn't the Deron we used to know, but maybe he'll be back this season with the revamped Net's lineup. Curry is much better than Deron has been in the past few seasons.

So looking at the list, Curry definitely has an argument for Top 5 PG, yet he's never mentioned. I wouldn't say he's overrated.

he has zero argument for top 5 pg. there are also about 20 players in the league flat out better than him. Just because a lot of people got hurt doesn't make him better at basketball. he is the same guy whether or not they got hurt. im not giving him a bump for that crap.

scm5
07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
he has zero argument for top 5 pg. there are also about 20 players in the league flat out better than him. Just because a lot of people got hurt doesn't make him better at basketball. he is the same guy whether or not they got hurt. im not giving him a bump for that crap.

I put Rose ahead of him even though Rose got hurt.

My list would be:

1. CP3
2. Parker
3. Westbrook
4. Rose
5. Curry

I would say Curry is interchangeable with Rondo and Kyrie at this point, but until proven otherwise, he's definitely ahead of Deron.

There is no way there is no argument for Curry over Rondo or Kyrie. It is at the very least arguable.

IGOTGAME
07-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I put Rose ahead of him even though Rose got hurt.

My list would be:

1. CP3
2. Parker
3. Westbrook
4. Rose
5. Curry

I would say Curry is interchangeable with Rondo and Kyrie at this point, but until proven otherwise, he's definitely ahead of Deron.

There is no way there is no argument for Curry over Rondo or Kyrie. It is at the very least arguable.

If Rondo wasn't hurt there would be no argument for Curry. Rondo is a top 10 player in the league.

No team with Curry as there best player is going anywhere. same with Ray allen. Because of this I would like to hear about them less.

Boston C's
07-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Ray everyday an twice on sundays..ppl seriously forget how good ray was and someone said hes overrated plzzzzzzzzzzzzz lol hes never talked about even in his prime...also to ppl who are talking playoff appearances why dont you look at the rosters ray had to play with in his prime...they arent pretty

curry is one hell of a player and he could be every bit as good as allen if he continues to improve but right now I'll take ray with no hesitation

scm5
07-19-2013, 01:42 PM
If Rondo wasn't hurt there would be no argument for Curry. Rondo is a top 10 player in the league.

I'm sorry but no. I didn't even factor in that Rondo was hurt and he might come back worse off than before.

Rondo is a great playmaker, but he's got too many holes in his game. He can't shoot. His scoring as actually a detriment to the team and he has a lower TS% than the league average. I don't like using PER, but Curry has had a higher PER since his sophmore season, that's just one piece of the argument.

Curry can play on the ball, off the ball. He provides spacing like no one else in the league can. Curry is playing with Iguodala next season, would that even make sense with Rondo? Rondo needs to be so ball dominant on the floor because he doesn't provide much else when he's not ball dominant. He's great with the ball in his hands, but he doesn't provide much else offensively.

IGOTGAME
07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm sorry but no. I didn't even factor in that Rondo was hurt and he might come back worse off than before.

Rondo is a great playmaker, but he's got too many holes in his game. He can't shoot. His scoring as actually a detriment to the team and he has a lower TS% than the league average. I don't like using PER, but Curry has had a higher PER since his sophmore season, that's just one piece of the argument.

Curry can play on the ball, off the ball. He provides spacing like no one else in the league can. Curry is playing with Iguodala next season, would that even make sense with Rondo? Rondo needs to be so ball dominant on the floor because he doesn't provide much else when he's not ball dominant. He's great with the ball in his hands, but he doesn't provide much else offensively.

we are just going to have to disagree. I think when healthy Rondo is arguably the best point in the world. We are way to far apart on this.

KG215
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
If you're just trying to troll...really lame attempt.

If you're serious...what a stupid post.

Boston C's
07-19-2013, 01:53 PM
If you're just trying to troll...really lame attempt.

If you're serious...what a stupid post.

These ppl didnt know ray played basketball before boston :lol

And I can't believe that there are ppl that think reggie was a better player then ray

Haks
07-19-2013, 02:02 PM

You think curry can carry a team to the conference finals and take the heat to 7 games? Lol Rondo is the best performing point guard in the playoffs for the past 5 yrs. No offense to Curry huge fan of him and I think he is more talented than Rondo and he could be a top 10 player next year but when healthy gimme Rondo over Curry.

GrapeApe
07-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Ray is a first ballot HOFer and a top 10 all time SG. Curry has yet to make an all-star team. Yes he was probably deserving last year, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective for those saying Curry is better than an all time great (at his peak). It's amazing how underrated Ray Allen's early years are. Replace Kobe with Ray on the '00-'02 Lakers and he'd be a concensus top 5 all time SG.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Big fan of both. Steph better playmaker Ray more athletic and a better finisher. More durable as well. Overall id take Ray but it's close.

scm5
07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he wasn't considering the fact that I used to live in Seattle during the time he was on the Sonics. I used to watch almost every game, he was a better defender on Boston because he didn't have to carry the scoring load like he had to in Seattle.

Um. Yes he was. Maybe not to Sonic fans that loved him and were blinded, but to the rest of the league he was notorious for his poor defense. I don't know if you were around but there was a lot of talk about Allen's poor defense even as a Celtic. He improved to be sure, but that probably had to do with the C's having good defensive schemes to cover up his poor defense.

Here are some threads new/old on Ray's defense. Bear with me, it's pretty hard to search for old content.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153372
http://redsarmy.com/2012/11/15/heat-fall-apart-defensively-with-ray-allen-on-the-court/
http://celticshub.com/2013/03/28/this-is-why-the-celtics-dont-miss-ray-allen-that-much/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allenra02.html

His Drtg was ridiculously high. In fact, aside from his years with the Celtics/Heat, his Drtg has always been ridiculously close to his Ortg and he's had some high Ortg. In 05'-06', he had a negative in Defensive Win Shares.

SamuraiSWISH
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Look at all the prisoner of the moments in this thread ...

scm5
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
You think curry can carry a team to the conference finals and take the heat to 7 games? Lol Rondo is the best performing point guard in the playoffs for the past 5 yrs. No offense to Curry huge fan of him and I think he is more talented than Rondo and he could be a top 10 player next year but when healthy gimme Rondo over Curry.

Curry never played with 3 future HOF players.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01.html

His stats look pretty if you're into basic stats. High FG% for a PG. Great rebounding and assist number and increasing his PPG averages from the season, but when you look closer into his stats...

Please explain to me how a 49% TS% in the playoffs allows him to be the best performing PG in the playoffs for the past 5 years. That's actually a detriment because he scores at a lower TS% than the rest of the league.

scm5
07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
we are just going to have to disagree. I think when healthy Rondo is arguably the best point in the world. We are way to far apart on this.

Yeah, it seems like we have different views on this subject. I just think that the NBA is filled with all the best basketball talents in the world, they are all capable decision makers on the court and you don't need such a ball dominant PG that provides almost nothing while playing off the ball.

Bigsmoke
04-10-2015, 10:07 AM
The MVP

sd3035
04-10-2015, 10:11 AM
obviously Curry