PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: John Wall & Wiz are nearing agreement on five-year deal in $80 mil range

Johnny Jones
07-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Marc SteinVerified account
‏@ESPNSteinLine
Buzz in Vegas at Team USA camp: John Wall & Wiz are nearing agreement on five-year deal in $80 mil range that should be finalized by Aug. 1

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/360216161725595650

coin24
07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Gilbert2.0:applause:

Spaulding
07-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Don't do it!

I want to see Wall with some real talent. Wizards plan on tanking for picks and Wall dont mind?

JimmyMcAdocious
07-24-2013, 10:25 PM
That's a max?

InspiredLebowski
07-24-2013, 10:28 PM
That's a max?For Wall, yes

The Macho Man
07-24-2013, 10:29 PM
:pimp: :pimp: :cheers:

The_Yearning
07-24-2013, 10:29 PM
That's shit cray!

Clifton
07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
The guy just doesn't have it.

I'm sorry, but, he just doesn't.

He's just appealing enough that you have to give him a max to keep him happy. But he's not taking you to the promised land. He's not the real thing. Sorry Wizards. You obviously gotta *act* like he's the real thing and you're thrilled to build your team around him but.... *sigh*

IGOTGAME
07-24-2013, 10:40 PM

He's just appealing enough that you have to give him a max to keep him happy. But he's not taking you to the promised land. He's not the real thing. Sorry Wizards. You obviously gotta *act* like he's the real thing and you're thrilled to build your team around him but.... *sigh*
You can say the same thing about everyone who isn't winning titles(cp3, love, Howard etc.). They have to give him the max, it would be stupid not to.

This is nothing like Gilbert's situation.

noob cake
07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Wall is not worth 16m/year for 5 years.

He can justify his contract by getting a jumpshot within the next season or two.

The Macho Man
07-24-2013, 10:47 PM

They will be in the playoffs for the next decade:confusedshrug:

The Macho Man
07-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Wall is not worth 16m/year for 5 years.

He can justify his contract by getting a jumpshot within the next season or two.

He had one last year

hawkfan
07-24-2013, 10:51 PM
He's not worth the money.
But maybe he will grow into it.

PleezeBelieve
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
This is how bad teams stay had. Wizards should have invested in a starting PG under Wall so they can create leverage to move him so he can't squeeze you by the balls during contract negotiations.

KyrieTheFuture
07-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Not a single person in this thread watched the Wizards last year they were hilariously better when he finally came back. Dude deserves this contract. Isn't ****ing Roy Hibbert getting paid the max?

The Macho Man
07-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Not a single person in this thread watched the Wizards last year they were hilariously better when he finally came back. Dude deserves this contract. Isn't ****ing Roy Hibbert getting paid the max?

:durantunimpressed:

KyrieTheFuture
07-24-2013, 11:15 PM
:durantunimpressed:
Forgive me, everyone hating on the contract hasn't watched them. How could anyone watch how he improved and say he doesn't deserve the max?

PleezeBelieve
07-24-2013, 11:17 PM
LMAO @ putting empty stats when your team has the 2nd worst record in the league enough to justify getting 16 mill a year.

Are you kidding me?

PleezeBelieve
07-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Rondo is a better player than this guy and he makes 25 mill less.

Child, please

IncarceratedBob
07-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Can't believe the lakers

Why not just offer wall and George 20 million next year

KyrieTheFuture
07-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't have the numbers but I'm almost positive they were over .500 with him in the lineup. Also, how does Rondo signing the friendliest contract in the league have anything to do with what Wall deserves?

Droid101
07-24-2013, 11:41 PM
With Wall and Nene Healthy they were a playoff team.

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2013, 12:34 AM
You can say the same thing about everyone who isn't winning titles(cp3, love, Howard etc.). They have to give him the max, it would be stupid not to.

This is nothing like Gilbert's situation.

They could wait til next summer. See if he can put it all together for a whole year first. He finally looked like he got it late last year but that's a lot money for potential.

Nene won't stay healthy though.

OldSkoolball#52
07-25-2013, 12:37 AM
You can say the same thing about everyone who isn't winning titles(cp3, love, Howard etc.).

Thats only for the people who dont know how to actually evaluate basketball players themselves, without mindlessly falling back on judging individual players by team successes.

They have to give him the max, it would be stupid not to.

People such as yourself.

andremiller07
07-25-2013, 12:51 AM
This, if Beal and Wall can stay healthy and Nene can play in like 65+ games they should easily be a playoff team.

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Hasn't played 65 games the past 2 years.

Jameerthefear
07-25-2013, 03:09 AM
Just needs to keep developing that jump shot.

hawkfan
07-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Max contract players should be able to make their team at least playoff competitive.

If he's healthy next year, maybe that will happen.

But right now, it's too early to tell and too early to give him that contract.

SpurrDurr
07-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Next year Wizards ill make the POs and he ll shut you all up.

Last year when he played, Wizards were a POs team, there is no doubt about his talent. The only doubts are about his health.

KyleKong
07-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Does he deserve a huge contract? Yes

Max? Hell naw.

Tking714
07-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Wall is real good. He has everything you want in a PG. Certainly better than Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans and they got PAID

What is this thing he "doesnt have"?

tontoz
07-25-2013, 07:20 AM
LMAO @ putting empty stats when your team has the 2nd worst record in the league enough to justify getting 16 mill a year.

Are you kidding me?

The Cavs had the second worst record in the league dumbass. The Wizards were tied for the 8th worst record and that included a tank job at the end, losing their last 6.

How about those "empty stats" from Kyrie? :lol

tontoz
07-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Hasn't played 65 games the past 2 years.

There were only 66 games played two seasons ago because of the lockout. Thanks for the keen insight.

SilkkTheShocker
07-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Would still rather have Irving

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Wall is real good. He has everything you want in a PG. Certainly better than Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans and they got PAID

What is this thing he "doesnt have"?

He hasn't shown he's a superstar that deserves a max contract. He finally hinted at it at the end of last season but he's getting paid purely on potential. Why not wait til the summer? He's restricted. Not like they can't match any offer if they still think he's a max player. Maybe they save some money to pay others down the line. Kirilenko's contract killed the Jazz.

There were only 66 games played two seasons ago because of the lockout. Thanks for the keen insight.

And he played 39 of them.

Meticode
07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Most NBA players are overpaid anyway. It doesn't surprise me.

All Net
07-25-2013, 09:48 AM

:lol

kurple
07-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Lawson > Wall. but the wizards are still doing the right thing

qrich
07-25-2013, 09:56 AM
The Wizards really were day and night last season as Wall was hurt to start off but recovered and made a big difference. The Wizards are easily a playoff contender, and wouldn't be shocked if they ended up as high as #6 if Beal continues to develop, Porter has a semi decent debut year and Nene remains healthy with John.

Still would be hesitant to give him the full max, however.

Jailblazers7
07-25-2013, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to give Wall the money if I were the Wizards. He will prove to be worth it.

East_Stone_Ya
07-25-2013, 10:07 AM
if true then nice deal for Wiz

IGOTGAME
07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Most NBA players are overpaid anyway. It doesn't surprise me.

what an asinine post.

nathanjizzle
07-25-2013, 10:50 AM
i wouldnt give jwall more than 14 a year.

fatboy11
07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Don't do it!

I want to see Wall with some real talent. Wizards plan on tanking for picks and Wall dont mind?

Pretty sure they're trying to make a playoff run this season. Their roster is bad enough for tanking. It's a classic 8th seed contender roster.

fatboy11
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
It's cute that people still think you have to be a superstar to "deserve" the max. All you have to have is great value to at least one team. Take the Wizards, the team of discussion here. Are people really suggesting that they're in position to not pay John Wall the max? So, you're essentially saying that the Wizards should not offer him the max because no one team will......and we should all know by now that isn't true. Teams like the Wizards have to hang onto guys like Wall because it's their only chance to be competitive. No one wants to play in DC. No one wants to play in Atlanta (which is why the Hawks gave Joe Johnson so much money). John Wall is worth more to the Wizards than he is to most teams, and even then, there are a number of other teams that would offer him the max. So, he's getting the max no matter what. The Wizards might as well hang onto him.

I do see the rationale, though, in waiting until after the season to give him a contract offer to see how he holds up over the course of the season. But offering John Wall the max in and of itself is not an absurd move on the part of the Wizards. It should be expected. And it's the right move to make for the Wizards.

HurricaneKid
07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
It's cute that people still think you have to be a superstar to "deserve" the max. All you have to have is great value to at least one team. Take the Wizards, the team of discussion here. Are people really suggesting that they're in position to not pay John Wall the max? So, you're essentially saying that the Wizards should not offer him the max because no one team will......and we should all know by now that isn't true. Teams like the Wizards have to hang onto guys like Wall because it's their only chance to be competitive. No one wants to play in DC. No one wants to play in Atlanta (which is why the Hawks gave Joe Johnson so much money). John Wall is worth more to the Wizards than he is to most teams, and even then, there are a number of other teams that would offer him the max. So, he's getting the max no matter what. The Wizards might as well hang onto him.

I do see the rationale, though, in waiting until after the season to give him a contract offer to see how he holds up over the course of the season. But offering John Wall the max in and of itself is not an absurd move on the part of the Wizards. It should be expected. And it's the right move to make for the Wizards.

No. There are just too many inaccuracies here. AFTER this year he is a RESTRICTED free agent. That means that no other team can offer him more than ~4/58MM. And even if they do (and presumably someone would) DC would be able to match. Instead, they are bidding against themselves, prematurely, to give him a deal no one else can offer him.

They are literally contorting themselves to pay a guy too much and to do it too early. And there is ZERO risk of losing him.

I don't even mind him getting a nice big deal. But why would you give it to him now? And why the 5th year at the max? If he wants the peace of mind to get a huge guaranteed deal then at least make him give you a small discount to get it. This IS a guy who has missed 40%+ of each of the last two years.

fatboy11
07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
No. There are just too many inaccuracies here. AFTER this year he is a RESTRICTED free agent. That means that no other team can offer him more than ~4/58MM. And even if they do (and presumably someone would) DC would be able to match. Instead, they are bidding against themselves, prematurely, to give him a deal no one else can offer him.

They are literally contorting themselves to pay a guy too much and to do it too early. And there is ZERO risk of losing him.

I don't even mind him getting a nice big deal. But why would you give it to him now? And why the 5th year at the max? If he wants the peace of mind to get a huge guaranteed deal then at least make him give you a small discount to get it. This IS a guy who has missed 40%+ of each of the last two years.

Did you even read my post?

Also, he hasn't missed 40% of the last two years. That's inaccurate. He played 66 games of the lockout season. He missed 13 games his rookie year, though.

IGOTGAME
07-25-2013, 11:33 AM

there is more to this transaction than possibly losing Wall. You want to establish a good working relationship for the next negotiation. Everyone knows he is getting the max somewhere.

redhonda76
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Agree. The Wizard really don't have a choice but to give Wall the max. It's also the only way to attract other big name player to join the Wizards. The Wizard don't want to taint their franchise name as the team which no one wants to stay and play for ( like the Hawks, Raptors, Bobcats, etc).
Does Wall deserved the max? No. There are 10 pg that I would rather have than Wall. He is strictly based on potential.
Does Wall deservied the max? no

Levity
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
I always post this in every John Wall thread

Over the final 49 games of last season, The Wizards outscored their opponents 95.6 to 94.5.
Over the first 33 games, the Wiz got outscored 97.2 to 89.2

Love him or hate him, he makes an impact when hes on the floor.

IGOTGAME
07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Agree. The Wizard really don't have a choice but to give Wall the max. It's also the only way to attract other big name player to join the Wizards. The Wizard don't want to taint their franchise name as the team which no one wants to stay and play for ( like the Hawks, Raptors, Bobcats, etc).
Does Wall deserved the max? No. There are 10 pg that I would rather have than Wall. He is strictly based on potential.
Does Wall deservied the max? no

10 pgs? that is silly.

ralph_i_el
07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
If you saw any of the second half for the wiz you'd know he's worth more than the max :facepalm

toneloc103
07-25-2013, 02:31 PM
If you saw any of the second half for the wiz you'd know he's worth more than the max :facepalm

ZZZZ. Still a pg with a broken jumper. Drive or bust. I am not understanding the hype. He can jump out of the gym. He has mad handles.. there is more to being an elite PG than that. Can he distribute? Can he run the team? CAN HE SHOOT? Does he make good basketball decisions?

KyrieTheFuture
07-25-2013, 02:41 PM
ZZZZ. Still a pg with a broken jumper. Drive or bust. I am not understanding the hype. He can jump out of the gym. He has mad handles.. there is more to being an elite PG than that. Can he distribute? Can he run the team? CAN HE SHOOT? Does he make good basketball decisions?

He averages 8 assists a game.

ralph_i_el
07-25-2013, 02:46 PM

I know these things are true because I WATCHED the games.

so there you go i answered your questions. The crazy hitch in his shot has been smoothed out and coach cassell has helped fix his midrange game.

Sarcastic
07-25-2013, 02:50 PM
He's gonna be a 20/10 point guard, which is extremely rare. He is easily worth the money and then some.

SilkkTheShocker
07-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Not sure if this low-IQ brick-layer is even worth 12 million.

HurricaneKid
07-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Did you even read my post?

Also, he hasn't missed 40% of the last two years. That's inaccurate. He played 66 games of the lockout season. He missed 13 games his rookie year, though.

Yes. Every word.

You repeatedly attempted to make it sound like he could go elsewhere. HE CAN NOT. Even if another team signs him to a max deal they can't offer more than 4/58MM. And then the Wiz can just keep him at that level. Or they can say "we love you and want you to be the future of the franchise and we will give you even more than that". But there is NO REASON to do that NOW.

Saying you want to give a guy $22M more than anyone else can offer because you want to keep him happy is a little silly. Doing it a year ahead of time when he is under contract is insane.

Sarcastic
07-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Not sure if this low-IQ brick-layer is even worth 12 million.

How does a low IQ player turn his 5-28 team into a 23-26 team coming off an injury?

toneloc103
07-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I know these things are true because I WATCHED the games.

so there you go i answered your questions. The crazy hitch in his shot has been smoothed out and coach cassell has helped fix his midrange game.

Well then that is awesome. I just remember the earlier version of his game, and i wasnt impressed. he reminded me of an and 1 player.. Good luck to him then..

HurricaneKid
07-25-2013, 03:25 PM
The crazy hitch in his shot has been smoothed out and coach cassell has helped fix his midrange game.

Here are his shooting splits last year after when his shot was "smoothed out" and his mid-range game was so "improved":

10-16ft: .379
16-23ft: .372
3Pt: .267

We also all remember the pictures of Fat Wall at the beginning of last season and he never really worked himself into shape. He shot .358 in the 4th and .136 from 3.

I actually do think he is in line for a max deal. I just don't see the need to A) do it now and B) give the 5th year and max raises.

longtime lurker
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Steph Curry's getting 9 million and Rondo's getting 12 million while John Wall gets the max. Seems like a desperation move for the Wizards.

tontoz
07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Here are his shooting splits last year after when his shot was "smoothed out" and his mid-range game was so "improved":

10-16ft: .379
16-23ft: .372
3Pt: .267

We also all remember the pictures of Fat Wall at the beginning of last season and he never really worked himself into shape. He shot .358 in the 4th and .136 from 3.

I actually do think he is in line for a max deal. I just don't see the need to A) do it now and B) give the 5th year and max raises.

After the AS break he shot 34.4% from 3 (11-32). He was 1-13 from 3 before the break. His midrange shot also showed improvement, especially in March.

fatboy11
07-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes. Every word.

You repeatedly attempted to make it sound like he could go elsewhere. HE CAN NOT. Even if another team signs him to a max deal they can't offer more than 4/58MM. And then the Wiz can just keep him at that level. Or they can say "we love you and want you to be the future of the franchise and we will give you even more than that". But there is NO REASON to do that NOW.

Saying you want to give a guy $22M more than anyone else can offer because you want to keep him happy is a little silly. Doing it a year ahead of time when he is under contract is insane.

So, you read my post, but just didn't understand it.

The basis of my post was that the thought that Wall doesn't "deserve" the max are flawed and short-sighted. I talked about other teams OFFERING him (never said he'd be going elsewhere) the max to illustrate that his worth is the max-level bracket.

I clearly stated that the rationale behind waiting a year is solid, but you seem to ignore that and still go on a rant that they're pulling the trigger too early. I've basically agreed that they could wait until after the season is over.

fatboy11
07-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Steph Curry's getting 9 million and Rondo's getting 12 million while John Wall gets the max. Seems like a desperation move for the Wizards.

And?

They're a desperate franchise, no? What PG are they going to get that's better than Wall? Teams like that have to lock up their top young talent that they acquire through the draft and trade. It's their only chance.

Besides that, Wall does have the ability to average 20 points and 8 assists per game. Franchise players get max money and Wall is a franchise player. Steph Curry now and the Steph Curry that signed that extension have two different perceptions, or have we forgotten that? People weren't nearly as high on Curry coming into this season as they are now. And ironically, that was due in large part to his injury history (big concern about Wall).

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
How does a low IQ player turn his 5-28 team into a 23-26 team coming off an injury?

Eastern conference schedule?

longtime lurker
07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
And?

They're a desperate franchise, no? What PG are they going to get that's better than Wall? Teams like that have to lock up their top young talent that they acquire through the draft and trade. It's their only chance.

Besides that, Wall does have the ability to average 20 points and 8 assists per game. Franchise players get max money and Wall is a franchise player. Steph Curry now and the Steph Curry that signed that extension have two different perceptions, or have we forgotten that? People weren't nearly as high on Curry coming into this season as they are now. And ironically, that was due in large part to his injury history (big concern about Wall).

Being desperate and being dumb are two different things. Isn't this what the owners fought against in the CBA. It's funny that you bring up Curry because there's an example of using injury to your advantage during negotiations. Wall hasn't shown the ability to lead his team anywhere. Do I think he should be getting less than Curry? No. But there's no way he deserves the max. Wizards are bidding against themselves, at worst case they try to offer him a little less, he balks hits free agency and they can still retain him for the max.

toneloc103
07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
It amazes me the while Kevin Love gets bashed for "empty" stats, Wall is being praised for averaging 20-8 on 35% shooting.... Only on ISH....

redhonda76
07-25-2013, 04:25 PM
10 pgs? that is silly.

These are the 10 pgs I would rather have than Wall.

Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday
Kyrie Irving
Damian Lillard
Tony Parker
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams

Wall is all about potential. He has been in the league for three years and yet his game has not improve at all. I hope he prove me wrong this coming season.

ralph_i_el
07-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday
Kyrie Irving
Damian Lillard
Tony Parker
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams

Wall is all about potential. He has been in the league for three years and yet his game has not improve at all. I hope he prove me wrong this coming season.

Lets see Rondo play without PP and KG and then get back to me. Half those guys are traffic cones on defense (irving and lillard especially). Jrue doesn't get to the rim.

Wall's not top 5 now, but he has the potential to be the best 2-way point guard in the league. He's rarely had good shooters on the floor before last season or a consistant pick and roll partner. Nene rested this summer, whereas he played all last summer for Brazil. Hopefully that means his plantar fasciitis will not be a problem and we'll get most of a season out of him.

fatboy11
07-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Being desperate and being dumb are two different things. Isn't this what the owners fought against in the CBA. It's funny that you bring up Curry because there's an example of using injury to your advantage during negotiations. Wall hasn't shown the ability to lead his team anywhere. Do I think he should be getting less than Curry? No. But there's no way he deserves the max. Wizards are bidding against themselves, at worst case they try to offer him a little less, he balks hits free agency and they can still retain him for the max.

Is this what the owners fought against in the CBA? No. Not even close. Guys as talented as Wall were never the problem. It was guys like Andris Biedrins and the longer contracts that have been reduced. Not giving young, athletic PGs with 20/8 potential the max.

I also don't like the strategy of pissing off your best player. I think they should wait until the offseason, but I have no doubt they should pull the trigger on a max contract. Offer him "a little less" than the max? That accomplishes nothing but insult.

IncarceratedBob
07-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday
Kyrie Irving
Damian Lillard
Tony Parker
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams

Deron Williams over Wall is insane

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2013, 05:22 PM
It amazes me the while Kevin Love gets bashed for "empty" stats, Wall is being praised for averaging 20-8 on 35% shooting.... Only on ISH....

Not only on ISh where AI was worshipped for his sub 40% gunning.

Offer him "a little less" than the max? That accomplishes nothing but insult.

Tough! The guy has been a huge disappointment. If they offer him 10-12 million a year and that is insulting **** him! Take it or leave it.

IGOTGAME
07-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Not only on ISh where AI was worshipped for his sub 40% gunning.

Tough! The guy has been a huge disappointment. If they offer him 10-12 million a year and that is insulting **** him! Take it or leave it.
you sound dumb. that is all.

ZaaaaaH
07-25-2013, 05:37 PM
I watched over 70+ Wizards game and from what I have seen he is worth the money and the gamble.

John Wall has the Talent no doubt about it but not sure if he really wants to play for the Wizards.

I also know a lot of ppl here never watch the Wizards but JWall has one of the best defense for a guard. His jump shot was very poor when he first came back from injury but as time progresses he was improving as well. His 4th Quarter decisions are very poor and needs to improve his IQ during late games that are close.

JWall needs to work on Leadership, Jumpshot and TO during late game.

He will be Top PG if he truly wants to be a basketball player instead of collecting checks.

toneloc103
07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
I watched over 70+ Wizards game and from what I have seen he is worth the money and the gamble.

John Wall has the Talent no doubt about it but not sure if he really wants to play for the Wizards.

I also know a lot of ppl here never watch the Wizards but JWall has one of the best defense for a guard. His jump shot was very poor when he first came back from injury but as time progresses he was improving as well. His 4th Quarter decisions are very poor and needs to improve his IQ during late games that are close.

JWall needs to work on Leadership, Jumpshot and TO during late game.

He will be Top PG if he truly wants to be a basketball player instead of collecting checks.

Your honest evaluation is greatly appreciated

tontoz
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM

First of all Wall shot 42% from the field, not 35%. Secondly Wall's TS% of 52% is only 1% worse than Westbrook, not bad for a guy who missed so much time and was out of shape when he came back.

And Wall does other things well besides score. He has a career average of 8 assists per game in spite of the fact that he has had so little talent around him.

Having said that i wouldn't have given him a max deal now. I would have tried to sign him for less this summer. If he doesn't bite i could always max him out next summer, if i choose to.

The Macho Man
07-25-2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/john.jpg

I'd pay 80 million for that