Cousins/Davis

Joseph/Kabongo
?/?
Wiggins/Nicholson
Bennett/Thompson
Olynyk/?

chips93
07-26-2013, 09:30 PM
andy rautins is canadian right? and that shooter from baylor, cant remember his name right now, hes is lights out though

both of those guys could be the sgs for canada

joel anthony is canadian too isnt he? i guess he would be the backup 5. or maybe sacre instead?

andrew nicholson and kris joseph are canadians too.

Grinder
07-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Joseph - Pangos - Kabongo
English - Rautins
Wiggins - K. Joseph
Thompson - Bennett
Olynyk - Nicholson - Anthony

With Jay Triano back as the head coach, they might be able to get Sam Dalembert back in the mix. I think they'll be similar to France in that they have a lot of NBA talent and can match our athleticism, but they don't have players that compliment each other in FIBA play. Still, they'll be one of the top international teams with all the talent they're churning out.

There's a bunch of other decent young guys out there that could get cut...
Robert Sacre
Devoe Joseph
Nik Stauskas
Brady Heslip
etc.

The Toronto Raptors are a big reason for this sudden boom of Canadian talent.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Birch, Ennis, Joseph, Stauskas, Pangos, Lyles, and XRM are all good players.

Birch and Lyles have lottery type talent. At one point Lyles was drawing comparisons to Tim Duncan. Ridiculous, but nevertheless he's one of the most polished post scores in high school basketball right now.

Le Shaqtus
07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
- Lebron won't be on Team USA
- Kobe (36) is questionable
- Kevin Durant and Kevin Love will be playing

Paul/Irving/Holiday/Lillard
Harden/George
Durant/Iggy
Love/Faried
Cousins/Davis

Joseph/Kabongo
?/?
Wiggins/Nicholson
Bennett/Thompson
Olynyk/?

No Westbrook? He can back up the 2 as well.

CanYouDigIt
07-26-2013, 09:43 PM
No Westbrook? He can back up the 2 as well.
edited, forgot GOATbrook

CanYouDigIt
07-26-2013, 09:57 PM
joel anthony is canadian too isnt he? i gues he would be the backup 5.

Joel will be is his early 30s by the time the Olympics come about, if I picked the Canadian team, he wouldn't be someone I'd recruit hard.

Joel doesn't contribute much to a team besides a big body, he needs to rebound more and learn an offensive move.

BurningHammer
07-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Joseph - Pangos - Kabongo
English - Rautins
Wiggins - K. Joseph
Thompson - Bennett
Olynyk - Nicholson - Anthony
This looks really good!

There's a bunch of other decent young guys out there that could get cut...
Robert Sacre
Devoe Joseph
Nik Stauskas
Brady Heslip
etc.
Adding some more 3-point shooting guards like Stauskas and Heslip would be great.

The Toronto Raptors are a big reason for this sudden boom of Canadian talent.
Vince Carter to Canada in 2000 is Michael Jordan to the world in 1992.

CeltsGarlic
07-27-2013, 01:57 AM
lol stauskas, rautins-both lith surenames

Xiao Yao You
07-27-2013, 03:28 AM
Joel will be is his early 30s by the time the Olympics come about, if I picked the Canadian team, he wouldn't be someone I'd recruit hard.

Joel doesn't contribute much to a team besides a big body, he needs to rebound more and learn an offensive move.

Probably be a good vet to have around even if he's at the end of the bench.

IncarceratedBob
07-27-2013, 03:29 AM
Team usa needs a leader

Paul
George
Durant
Anthony
Davis

Xiao Yao You
07-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Team usa needs a leader

Paul
George
Durant
Anthony
Davis

Durant led them fine in 2010

andremiller07
07-27-2013, 03:58 AM
and isnt irving gonna play for the boomers
He just played for the US select team.......like yesterday or the day before

JtotheIzzo
07-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Trey Lyles and Tyler Ennis will be on the Canadian team as well.

Pangos/Ennis/C.Joseph
Wiggins/K. Joseph
Bennett/***
Thompson/Nicholson/Lyles
Olynyk/Sacre

I'd go with my best players on the floor, be big and play zone (by 2016 Tyler Ennis may be the best PG on the roster by a long shot, I like Pangos now because he can shoot and has Nash-like tendencies).

***Dwight Powell, Kyle Wiltjer, Khem Birch, Brady Heslip, Dyshawn Pierre, etc might have shots at this slot.

****Players like Joel Anthony, Jamaal Magloire, Sam Dalembert, Myck Kabongo, Nik Stauskas, Carl English, Andy Rautins and Jermaine Anderson could also crack the line up.

00playboy00
07-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Pg - Corey Joseph, Kevin Pangos, Tyler Ennis
Sg - Andrew Wiggins, Xaxier Rathan Mayes,
Sf - Anthony Bennett,
Pf - Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynick
C - Bill Wellington, Joel Anothny

I'm not sure about a centre.

InspiredLebowski
07-28-2013, 03:19 AM
:confusedshrug:use ignore

Sakkreth
07-28-2013, 04:08 AM
lol stauskas, rautins-both lith surenames

Well they are basically lithuanian, but anyways wouldn't make into our NT even if they wanted.

Grinder
07-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Well they are basically lithuanian, but anyways wouldn't make into our NT even if they wanted.

Rautins' father is half Lithuanian, half Latvian but it he can't represent any NT anyway since he's already played for Canada.

Stauskas has a lot of potential...possibly the best shooter in the NCAA.

Sakkreth
07-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Rautins' father is half Lithuanian, half Latvian but it he can't represent any NT anyway since he's already played for Canada.

Stauskas has a lot of potential...possibly the best shooter in the NCAA.

Yes, Stauskas has lots of potential, but currently just wouldn't make the roster. Also only being a great shooter is not enough anymore in today's basketball. And when I was talking about potential it wasn't his shooting, as he is good shooter already.

kaiteng
07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w039-VOp-c0/Tzv1c1wTM1I/AAAAAAAABKc/Ue4HhbwG13o/s1600/Raptors%2B-%2BLeo%2BRautins.jpg

JtotheIzzo
07-29-2013, 11:12 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w039-VOp-c0/Tzv1c1wTM1I/AAAAAAAABKc/Ue4HhbwG13o/s1600/Raptors%2B-%2BLeo%2BRautins.jpg

luckily he was fired.

Here is the camp roster for this summer and the qualifiers:

Jermaine Anderson
Joel Anthony
Olu Ashaolu
Junior Cadougan
Aaron Doornekamp
Carl English
Brady Heslip
Cory Joseph
Devoe Joseph
Kris Joseph
Myck Kabongo
Levon Kendall
Kyle Landry
Andrew Nicholson
Andrew Rautins
Philip Scrubb
Jevohn Shepherd
Tristan Thompson

I like the guys in bold to make it and then the older guys will give way for Bennett, Olynyk and Wiggins next year.

SamuraiSWISH
07-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Team USA PLOWS that team. Andrew Wiggins, don't make me laugh bro. He's going to out play a Kevin Durant who by that team would be peaking? Absolutely not.

poido123
07-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Well Irving was born in Melbourne Australia, does that mean he has to play for Boomers? Or does he get to choose since he played most of his ball in the States..

Le Shaqtus
07-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Well Irving was born in Melbourne Australia, does that mean he has to play for Boomers? Or does he get to choose since he played most of his ball in the States..

He can play for either.

SamuraiSWISH
07-29-2013, 11:47 AM
He was born in Australia from American parents LIVING there, where his father played pro ball. He spent the vast majority of his life growing up in New Jersey. Him considering himself Australian wouldn't make any kind of sense.

Legends66NBA7
07-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Canada would need a miracle to beat that USA team

poido123
07-29-2013, 12:14 PM
He was born in Australia from American parents LIVING there, where his father played pro ball. He spent the vast majority of his life growing up in New Jersey. Him considering himself Australian wouldn't make any kind of sense.

Born in Australia, hands off :lol :roll:

poido123
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM

I know, but as an Australian I would hope he chose here. We have limited talent here and we desperately need someone as talented as Irving on the national team. Having Bogut and Irving can at least make our team somewhat respectable in the world basketball arena. We wouldn't be passed off as just a roadhump.

Grinder
07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Around the time he was drafted, he said he was strongly considering playing for Australia, but that was before he realized he could make Team USA so early in his career.

I was kind of hoping he'd choose Australia since we don't need him on the Team USA and it's always nice to see stronger teams on the international scene. An Irving-Exum-Simmons trio for Australia would be a lot of fun to watch. Australia produces a lot of good players for a country their size and have a lot of basketball fans, so it would be nice to see them with a national team that can contend for medals.

poido123
07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Around the time he was drafted, he said he was strongly considering playing for Australia, but that was before he realized he could make Team USA so early in his career.

I was kind of hoping he'd choose Australia since we don't need him on the Team USA and it's always nice to see stronger teams on the international scene. An Irving-Exum-Simmons trio for Australia would be a lot of fun to watch. Australia produces a lot of good players for a country their size and have a lot of basketball fans, so it would be nice to see them with a national team that can contend for medals.

Ehh, while I appreciate your very optimistic outlook on our country, I wouldn't say that we have produced alot of talent on the world level. If you measured talent based on Australian players good enough to play NBA? Like Baynes, Mills, Bogut and earlier Gaze, Longley, Anstey and Heal then sure you could say we have produced talent.

We are still along ways off being relevant. While we have an unreliable and pathetic NBL competition run by inept management, we are not going to produce more than one or two talents worthy of making NBA standard. Alot of that has to do with the amount of sports that we play at a good level and the population to sustain all those different sports.

JtotheIzzo
07-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Team USA PLOWS that team. Andrew Wiggins, don't make me laugh bro. He's going to out play a Kevin Durant who by that team would be peaking? Absolutely not.

Really? Do ya think? That is some great analysis right there, you should have your own column.

No team will ever be comparable to USA, but that group PLUS Wiggins, Bennett, Olynyk, Trey Lyles and Tyler Ennis (who both should be NBA rotations players at worse by 2016) becomes more intriguing.

Its not about beating the USA on paper, its about contending for a medal, being one of the teams in the discussion, putting yourself in position, to be in position. Lets not forget a PR team with Carlos Arroyo as their best player beat USA, so its not impossible by any stretch.

Its also not about 2013, this is a transitional year with lots of the old guard still hanging on and the young bucks honing their craft and staying home.

chips93
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM

he had already played for USA at underage level which ment that he wouldnt be able to play for australia at senior level, when he said that he would consider playing for australia

Rooster
07-29-2013, 12:55 PM
he had already played for USA at underage level which ment that he wouldnt be able to play for australia at senior level, when he said that he would consider playing for australia

They can. Charlie Villanueva was the same. Irving just chose USA. If he was not good enough to play us, I know he would play for the Aussie easily.

Rooster
07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Really? Do ya think? That is some great analysis right there, you should have your own column.

No team will ever be comparable to USA, but that group PLUS Wiggins, Bennett, Olynyk, Trey Lyles and Tyler Ennis (who both should be NBA rotations players at worse by 2016) becomes more intriguing.

Its not about beating the USA on paper, its about contending for a medal, being one of the teams in the discussion, putting yourself in position, to be in position. Lets not forget a PR team with Carlos Arroyo as their best player beat USA, so its not impossible by any stretch.

Its also not about 2013, this is a transitional year with lots of the old guard still hanging on and the young bucks honing their craft and staying home.

I really believe Canada can be a medal contender by 2016. The big question is can they qualify for that. They certainly have the talent in paper but international games are different. I think by 2018, they will win a medal and also 2020 Olympics they will have another one.

Grinder
07-29-2013, 01:08 PM

That's not how it works.

Ehh, while I appreciate your very optimistic outlook on our country, I wouldn't say that we have produced alot of talent on the world level. If you measured talent based on Australian players good enough to play NBA? Like Baynes, Mills, Bogut and earlier Gaze, Longley, Anstey and Heal then sure you could say we have produced talent.

We are still along ways off being relevant. While we have an unreliable and pathetic NBL competition run by inept management, we are not going to produce more than one or two talents worthy of making NBA standard. Alot of that has to do with the amount of sports that we play at a good level and the population to sustain all those different sports.

Not only NBA talent but you guys produce a lot of above average NCAA players and good European players (Newley, Ingles, Andersen, Jawai, etc.). I do agree that strengthening the NBL would really raise the level of domestic talent.

andremiller07
07-29-2013, 06:04 PM
That's not how it works.

Not only NBA talent but you guys produce a lot of above average NCAA players and good European players (Newley, Ingles, Andersen, Jawai, etc.). I do agree that strengthening the NBL would really raise the level of domestic talent.
It's just to hard to many sports in a small place, you got AFL, NRL, Super 12, Cricket and the A-League is up and running to, just to much competition imo for basketball to truly deliver a consistent good league

RedBlackAttack
07-29-2013, 06:36 PM

The fact that Canada will almost certainly have back-to-back No. 1 draft picks and three Top 4 picks in the last four years tells you everything you need to know about the growth of Canadian basketball.

It's a really healthy thing for the sport to have another country emerging as a major source of top notch talent. I'm not sure why people are getting defensive about it.

That is a really good lineup, too. Thompson's growth at the center spot could enable them to work a starting lineup that would include Tristan, Wiggins and Bennett. Olynyk and Nicholson would provide nice frontcourt depth that would give the best teams in the world a run for their money.

The backcourt isn't quite as strong, but definitely serviceable with Cory Joseph who I think could end up being a nice player.

I'd be pretty damn excited if I were a Canadian basketball fan. This team really should be in medal contention.

poido123
07-29-2013, 06:53 PM
That's not how it works.

You can add Dellavedova and Nielsen to that list too and Luke Schenscher :cheers:

The reason it won't work here in Australia for a while is we have too many sports going in relation to the amount of people we have. There's not enough people or interest in the game to get big crowds to come watch the games and buy the merchandise. Until our population grows to a big enough size to spread out the number of talent in sport, basketball will find it hard to break the market.

Where USA has a population of over 300 million, we are at a measly 22 odd million.

(e)
07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Rose and Westbrook will both play in 2016 if they want. No way you'd turn away those 2...both can play 1-2 as well.

JtotheIzzo
07-30-2013, 07:48 AM
The reason it won't work here in Australia for a while is we have too many sports going in relation to the amount of people we have. There's not enough people or interest in the game to get big crowds to come watch the games and buy the merchandise. Until our population grows to a big enough size to spread out the number of talent in sport, basketball will find it hard to break the market.

Where USA has a population of over 300 million, we are at a measly 22 odd million.

Aussies always put a decent squad out and if nothing else the Oceania qualifiers mean you can pretty much qualify for every Olympics, so that at least gives your best 12 players more quality games than teams from the Americas and Europe who might miss out in qualifiers.

Europe has a ton of great teams and the Americas has 5 world class countries and only usually four spots (USA, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico) and then some frisky teams like Venezuela and other Caribbean teams as the sport is hotting up down there.

2 reasons can be given for the rise in talent of the Canadian players.

1-the NBA moving north.
2-the ever increasing cost of playing hockey has put it out of reach for a lot of inner city kids. hockey is like baseball, basketball, and football combined in Canada, and people are mad for it, but hoops is growing, and that is surprising too considering the seasons go head to head, but as a hoop head, I like it.

poido123
07-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Aussies always put a decent squad out and if nothing else the Oceania qualifiers mean you can pretty much qualify for every Olympics, so that at least gives your best 12 players more quality games than teams from the Americas and Europe who might miss out in qualifiers.

Europe has a ton of great teams and the Americas has 5 world class countries and only usually four spots (USA, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico) and then some frisky teams like Venezuela and other Caribbean teams as the sport is hotting up down there.

2 reasons can be given for the rise in talent of the Canadian players.

1-the NBA moving north.
2-the ever increasing cost of playing hockey has put it out of reach for a lot of inner city kids. hockey is like baseball, basketball, and football combined in Canada, and people are mad for it, but hoops is growing, and that is surprising too considering the seasons go head to head, but as a hoop head, I like it.

Great point.:applause:

It's a good thing if the world as a whole gets more competitive teams to play amongst the might of the USA. More entertaining, as we don't want to see teams getting beaten by a 100 points in the Olympics :oldlol:

All Net
07-30-2013, 09:09 AM
- Lebron won't be on Team USA
- Kobe (36) is questionable
- Kevin Durant and Kevin Love will be playing

Paul/Irving/Westbrook/Lillard
Harden/George
Durant/Iggy
Love/Faried
Cousins/Davis

Joseph/Kabongo
?/?
Wiggins/Nicholson
Bennett/Thompson
Olynyk/?

No Steph Curry? he's a lock if healthly.

CanYouDigIt
07-30-2013, 09:34 AM
No Steph Curry? he's a lock if healthly.
He didn't come to this year's USA Basketball Training Camp. I assume if you weren't in a previous USA Team or didn't participate in a Training Camp then you couldn't join Team USA.

Xiao Yao You
07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
He didn't come to this year's USA Basketball Training Camp. I assume if you weren't in a previous USA Team or didn't participate in a Training Camp then you couldn't join Team USA.

He was on 2010 team.

CanYouDigIt
07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
He was on 2010 team.
Then yes, I would have him on the team, over Lillard.