PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Luis Scola to Pacers, Danny Granger to Suns ?

bagelred
07-26-2013, 11:18 PM
EDIT: Danny Granger is NOT in the deal

Deal is done:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h
Pacers will trade Miles Plumlee, Gerald Green and 2014 protected 1st round pick to Suns for Luis Scola, sources tell Y! Sports.

The Indiana Pacers are nearing completion of a deal to acquire Phoenix Suns forward Luis Scola, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

While the deal was still being finalized overnight, the Pacers will minimally send the Suns a future first-round draft pick, as well as possible additional draft and cash considerations to go along with guard Gerald Green, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-close-to-dealing-luis-scola-to-pacers-042256047.html

Yet ANOTHER guy I thought Knicks could get with Camby contract and #1 pick. Pacers making the right moves....:facepalm

JimmyMcAdocious
07-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Always been a big Scola fan. But for Granger? Does he absolutely not want to come off the bench or something?

Good trade for the Suns. Scola has no value for a a team in their position and Granger could be a solid building piece if he's healthy.

Im so nba'd out
07-26-2013, 11:24 PM
wow larry bird really has faith in born ready aka lance stevenson

DuMa
07-26-2013, 11:25 PM
yes this will get them over the hump over miami :facepalm

KobeBaRyant
07-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Who got traded aside from granger and scola in this trade?

IncarceratedBob
07-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Giving up an great player in Granger who was easily gonna average 20-24 points this year for Scola?

I get Granger was injured but it's not like Paul George is all that much better.

In before idiots come with this degenerative bullshit for Granger, dude has said he hasn't felt this good in a while, the time off helped him work on his game, Pacers staff said Granger is ready to be set loose.

Awful trade for Indy.

flipogb
07-26-2013, 11:31 PM
redundant with David West, dumb trade

LBJMVP
07-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Giving up an great player in Granger who was easily gonna average 20-24 points this year for Scola?

I get Granger was injured but it's not like Paul George is all that much better.

In before idiots come with this degenerative bullshit for Granger, dude has said he hasn't felt this good in a while, the time off helped him work on his game, Pacers staff said Granger is ready to be set loose.

Awful trade for Indy.

what makes you think granger will average 20-24?

he averaged 18 last time he played a full season.

JBrizzy
07-26-2013, 11:35 PM
I think Granger would be playing behind George. He has good trade value. Scola is useful.

TylerOO
07-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Maybe the Phoenix staff can resurrect the bums career.

NumberSix
07-26-2013, 11:36 PM
redundant with David West, dumb trade
Yeah, because its not like they desperately need quality guys for their bench.

IncarceratedBob
07-26-2013, 11:39 PM
what makes you think granger will average 20-24?

he averaged 18 last time he played a full season.
He would have averaged 20+ this season with the Pacers because he's never had a team that wasn't shite. This team could help take the pressure off him, he wouldn't be the 1st option.

Oh well I guess Larry Bird isn't perfect

daily
07-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Is there a reputable source for this?

Carbine
07-26-2013, 11:43 PM
If Granger was thought to have a problem (not buying in completely) with his new role of coming off the bench and not being a go-to player on offense, he had to be dealt.

Scola is a very nice upgrade from Hansbrough.

Chuckbrook
07-26-2013, 11:43 PM
I think Granger would be playing behind George. He has good trade value. Scola is useless.
fixed

DStebb716
07-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Granger isn't going to Phoenix according to Marc Stein.

daily
07-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 36s
Reports from Argentina that Scola is headed to Pacers have been circulating for last hour, but latest word is Danny Granger is NOT in deal

niko
07-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Yet ANOTHER guy I thought Knicks could get with Camby contract and #1 pick. Pacers making the right moves....:facepalm
Camby and #1 pick doesn't have the same value as Granger.

Droid101
07-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 36s
Reports from Argentina that Scola is headed to Pacers have been circulating for last hour, but latest word is Danny Granger is NOT in deal
:eek:

DuMa
07-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 1 minute ago

Suns are nearing a deal to send Luis Scola to the Pacers, league sources tell Y! Sports.

TheReal Kendall
07-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Is this true before I get happy?

I don't see anything when I google

andremiller07
07-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Kings should look to trade for Granger, it's a 1 year thing so even if he breaks down this season it's all good, they got enough pieces to offer ranging from Thomas/Thompson/Patterson/Thornton/Jimmer. Pacers let Augustine go so I'm sure they could use Thomas and something else

irondarts
07-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Salary wise, Gerald Green is probably in the deal.

DStebb716
07-26-2013, 11:57 PM
My guess is Gerald Green or Ian Mahinmi.

1~Gibson~1
07-27-2013, 12:12 AM
I dont think Granger would have had a problem coming off the bench, hes not that type of player
But (in theory) if anyone WAS gonna come off the bench it would have probably been Lance Stephenson.

I think the idea behind this trade is that Hill-George-West-Hibbert +Granger could have screwed up chemistry as he and Paul George are both similar players. But it would have bden cool to at least see how last year's team plus Granger worked out instead of this..

However, Roy Hibbert and David West can now play more aggressive on O and D, not having to rely ony Hansborough as a backup.. or that other guy. Scola is better than any big that was on the Pacers' bench last year.

eeeeeebro
07-27-2013, 12:30 AM
WELL FUQ MIAMI WE HAVE TO BUILD OUR TEAM TO BEAT INDIANA NOW... I guess since i live closer to INDY than chicago thats not too bad of a thing but dang..................

leopoldstotch
07-27-2013, 12:59 AM
wow what a steal if scola goes to indiana and the pacers don't have to give up Granger. :lol

RIP CITY
07-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Hibbert/Plumlee
West/Scola
Granger/Copeland
George/Stephenson
Hill/Watson

Granger is not involved. Has to be Green and/or Mahinmi in the trade. Scola is another gritty post player and is easily better than anything Indiana had coming off the bench last season, plus Stephenson becomes a backup. Copeland is a solid player, Watson is a solid player. They definitely upgraded the bench and with Granger coming back, if he can stay healthy, that's a pretty nasty, gritty team right there.

Miami is still heavy favorites in the East IMO, but if Wade and Bosh play like they did this past postseason, Indy will be a serous threat again and is even more built towards the Heat's weaknesses. I still think if Wade is healthy no one beats Miami but Indiana is gaining some significant ground if they pull this off.

Burgz V2
07-27-2013, 01:07 AM
This would be a huge steal for indy if it goes down.

tazb
07-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Defensively, trash. So that's a +1 for Miami.:applause:

oh the horror
07-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Defensively, trash. So that's a +1 for Miami.:applause:

At this point you just post whatever eh?

CanYouDigIt
07-27-2013, 01:47 AM
http://gyazo.com/d27b0f6bd0e505d0427698c92c7023d7.png

Green + 2nd Rounders?

Jameerthefear
07-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Wow what a great trade if this goes down. Only Green and 2nd rounders... they could definitely beat Miami.

Peteballa
07-27-2013, 01:54 AM
F*ck

Jameerthefear
07-27-2013, 02:10 AM
F*ck
:D

Xover
07-27-2013, 02:16 AM
the suspense is killing me

DuMa
07-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Wow what a great trade if this goes down. Only Green and 2nd rounders... they could definitely beat Miami.

Miami aint scared of Scola.

All Net
07-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Granger not in deal?

bdreason
07-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Should have tried to get E. Gordon for Granger.

LakersDaBEst
07-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Scola and Hansbrough as back ups :bowdown: :bowdown: then trade Granger for a decent PG. Man Bird is killing it!!!!

KyleKong
07-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Luis Scola is the GOAT of underrated players in NBA history.

Blue&Orange
07-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Scola and Hansbrough as back ups :bowdown: :bowdown: then trade Granger for a decent PG. Man Bird is killing it!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOPaHtYRQpY

Why is do bad the pacers hold on to Granger.

hawkfan
07-27-2013, 03:45 AM
Great pickup for the Pacers. Gives them more depth and scoring.
Definite upgrade over Hansborough.

GreatHILL
07-27-2013, 03:50 AM
scola has no value for the suns, so getting the first round draft pick for him is a great deal for the suns.

Cali Syndicate
07-27-2013, 05:20 AM
yes this will get them over the hump over miami :facepalm

Yeah, they needed a better pg.

Cali Syndicate
07-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Great pickup for the Pacers. Gives them more depth and scoring.
Definite upgrade over Hansborough.

This is true. Not sure west and scola can co-exist on the floor together. Very similar players.

SpurrDurr
07-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Yeah, they needed a better pg.

George is an excellent all around player, he can make up for Hill flaws.

Indiana is really legit this year with an healthy Granger and a nice bench, if both George and Hibbert will keep developing they can beat Miami.

InspiredLebowski
07-27-2013, 05:44 AM
wait. what? stop doin deals on Saturday nights

Cali Syndicate
07-27-2013, 05:46 AM
George is an excellent all around player, he can make up for Hill flaws.

Indiana is really legit this year with an healthy Granger and a nice bench, if both George and Hibbert will keep developing they can beat Miami.

Both George and hibbert have an incredible upside. Both are top 5 if not better at their respective positions. Yes they are a contender but I feel had they upgraded the pg position, they'd be so much better. Hill is better as a backup and as a combo guard than anything else.

Granger for scola is still a good move though.

InspiredLebowski
07-27-2013, 05:48 AM
I gotta catch up but if Granger's involved I do not support it.

Cali Syndicate
07-27-2013, 05:51 AM
I remember granger saying he was on track to improve himself as an elite Scottie pipped type defender. Wonder how that's been coming along.

Haymaker
07-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Hansbrough got signed by Toronto.

To4
07-27-2013, 06:27 AM
i think people forget that even scola is old.. he still have one of the best post game and a bit of a midrange shot in him.

he is however horrendous in defense thou.. but if they get scola without trading granger. what a steal..

Walker
07-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Go Suns go!

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/m1-tank-9.jpg

Haymaker
07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
This is true. Not sure west and scola can co-exist on the floor together. Very similar players.

Yeah that would be brilliant, play two PF's at the same time. :facepalm

INDI
07-27-2013, 09:04 AM
I think Granger would be playing behind George. He has good trade value. Scola is useful.

Lance stephenson has the skillset of a nba 12th man. Granger should be playing WITH George not behind him.

lol I could see if George was a 30 ppg potential player but hes not

Thorpesaurous
07-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I've gotta agree with the concensus here and say this is an excellent deal for Indy.

I concur that Scola is not a good defensive player, so perhaps he doesn't fit the Pacer's culture, but he'll have a ton of help behind him, as most of the rest of the Pacer lineup are plus defenders.
I really felt that the thing that made the Pacers who they were, in spite of the fact that George blew up, and Hibbert showed up in the postseason, was David West. He's a really unique player in the current league. Putting him out there with Hibbert, and playing hi-lo post basketball, based around a pick and pop set, and his ability to excel in that mid court area that is so often the weak spot in the current league where traps on side set PnR are so common, made this team really unique. And the fear I had for the Pacers this offseason was loosing West, because there just aren't a ton of guys out there like him anymore. Even when they were drafting I remember before the draft liking Kenny Khaji, and Tony Mitchell (who I still like) just because I felt they could perhaps replicate some of what West does.

So they keep West, and now add Scola, who to me is a great backup for both bigs. He can play that high post offense with West, and his low post game is excellent, and can come in for Hibbert even, and you can exploit a weak low post defender with one of the two. Or you could pair him with Mahimi even and still run a lot of the same sets of hi lo even if they won't be as effective, and you're taking a step back defensively obviously (maybe a step and half).

I do worry a little about putting Granger and George on the floor together. Both guys are accostumed to having the ball, facilitating off the wing PnR stuff with West, either for themselves, or to initiate that high low stuff. But now one of them is gonna be standing around. Granger was a killer catch and shoot guy though at one point, and perhaps he can re-adjust to playing some on the weakside, and it wasn't long ago George was doing the same. I'm not sure George's game lends itself as much to that, so I'd sort of prefer to see George be the primary handler, strong side wing while he's out there.

And while I really like Hill's game, he may really be better suited as one of the best bench players in the league. A guy who can come in at multiple positions, defend multiple positions, handle the ball some, play off the ball as a shooter. He's a really nice player. But the truth is, what were they gonna do to upgrade at the point? Chris Paul wasn't coming there (and frankly I couldn't handle Chris Paul George Hill anyway). I'd rather keep Hill than extend an offer to Brandon Jennings. They weren't gonna be able to oubid what the Pellies gave up for Holliday (which then sort of set the market for cost on a PG). You could maybe convince me that they could've pushed toward the deal Atlanta gave Teague, and then tried to convince Atlanta not to match, maybe some kind of S&T kicker of a draft pick or something, but while I like Teague, I'm not sure he's a definitive upgrade over Hill anyway.

So I like this team. They've already shown they can compete with Miami. If Granger comes back and can defend at the level he used to, that gives these guys a ton of pieces to throw at James and Wade on that end (George, Stevensen, Granger, even Hill showed he can spend some time on Wade). And that forces Miami to get output from Bosh that can be inconsistent, and they've got a real shot. And adding Scola means they can continue to do the things offensively that bother the Heat even when West or even Hibbert are out.

CanYouDigIt
07-27-2013, 10:21 AM
I've gotta agree with the concensus here and say this is an excellent deal for Indy.

I concur that Scola is not a good defensive player, so perhaps he doesn't fit the Pacer's culture, but he'll have a ton of help behind him, as most of the rest of the Pacer lineup are plus defenders.
I really felt that the thing that made the Pacers who they were, in spite of the fact that George blew up, and Hibbert showed up in the postseason, was David West. He's a really unique player in the current league. Putting him out there with Hibbert, and playing hi-lo post basketball, based around a pick and pop set, and his ability to excel in that mid court area that is so often the weak spot in the current league where traps on side set PnR are so common, made this team really unique. And the fear I had for the Pacers this offseason was loosing West, because there just aren't a ton of guys out there like him anymore. Even when they were drafting I remember before the draft liking Kenny Khaji, and Tony Mitchell (who I still like) just because I felt they could perhaps replicate some of what West does.

So they keep West, and now add Scola, who to me is a great backup for both bigs. He can play that high post offense with West, and his low post game is excellent, and can come in for Hibbert even, and you can exploit a weak low post defender with one of the two. Or you could pair him with Mahimi even and still run a lot of the same sets of hi lo even if they won't be as effective, and you're taking a step back defensively obviously (maybe a step and half).

I do worry a little about putting Granger and George on the floor together. Both guys are accostumed to having the ball, facilitating off the wing PnR stuff with West, either for themselves, or to initiate that high low stuff. But now one of them is gonna be standing around. Granger was a killer catch and shoot guy though at one point, and perhaps he can re-adjust to playing some on the weakside, and it wasn't long ago George was doing the same. I'm not sure George's game lends itself as much to that, so I'd sort of prefer to see George be the primary handler, strong side wing while he's out there.

And while I really like Hill's game, he may really be better suited as one of the best bench players in the league. A guy who can come in at multiple positions, defend multiple positions, handle the ball some, play off the ball as a shooter. He's a really nice player. But the truth is, what were they gonna do to upgrade at the point? Chris Paul wasn't coming there (and frankly I couldn't handle Chris Paul George Hill anyway). I'd rather keep Hill than extend an offer to Brandon Jennings. They weren't gonna be able to oubid what the Pellies gave up for Holliday (which then sort of set the market for cost on a PG). You could maybe convince me that they could've pushed toward the deal Atlanta gave Teague, and then tried to convince Atlanta not to match, maybe some kind of S&T kicker of a draft pick or something, but while I like Teague, I'm not sure he's a definitive upgrade over Hill anyway.

So I like this team. They've already shown they can compete with Miami. If Granger comes back and can defend at the level he used to, that gives these guys a ton of pieces to throw at James and Wade on that end (George, Stevensen, Granger, even Hill showed he can spend some time on Wade). And that forces Miami to get output from Bosh that can be inconsistent, and they've got a real shot. And adding Scola means they can continue to do the things offensively that bother the Heat even when West or even Hibbert are out.

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/BydYgfCmekQ/hqdefault.jpg

Zodiac
07-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Scola is another physical post player. Pretty clear the Pacers idea here is to load up and attack Bosh in the play-offs.

I wonder if teams play the Heat more physically in the regular season in an attempt to wear them down for the playoffs

niko
07-27-2013, 10:33 AM
I can't see how or why trade would involve Granger. Scola is a good pickup. I think they need to move Granger for a piece they need, they became this unselfish defensive oriented team the moment he was gone, why mess with that?

D-Rose
07-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Stein reporting it's Gerald Green and draft considerations for Scola.

So they keep Granger...or could trade him for other assets too :eek:

Owl
07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Am surprised a contender didn't move for Scola earlier since after he was amnestied because his contract is now good value (obviously they couldn't get him at the time if they weren't under the cap, but since then), he's doesn't fit with the Suns' timeline and he's not too good to come off the bench.

That said you'd be surprised if the Suns could get too much for an amnestied guy.

kshutts1
07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Pacers are scary good right now. If they can flip Granger for a legit SG.. wow.

yeaaaman
07-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Does anyone else here think Granger is overrated? I remember seeing him play a couple years ago and you couldn't even notice he was on the court except for when he was jacking up 3's. He must have shot about 10 and hit maybe 2. I think he shot over 7 3's a game that year.

Couldn't get to the rim (or didn't try at all), couldn't do anything after more than 2 dribbles, couldn't set a teammate up, stood around waiting for the ball all game. Didn't make anyone on the court better except the other team.

I think they'd be good trading him for anything decent in return, if not he can contribute some offensive punch and defense on the wings but his day's of being the #1 or 2 option should be over.

CanYouDigIt
07-27-2013, 12:05 PM
They need a point guard more than they just need a shooting guard.

Since Granger will be a FA next offseason, Pacers should be pushing hard to get rid of him for whatever they can get. The only teams I can see pursuing Granger are playoff caliber teams that have a good chance of keeping Danny in the future.

Jose Calderon and Shawn Marion
for
Danny Granger and Draft Picks

Calderon-Watson
George-Stephenson
Marion-Copeland-Hill
West-Scola-Plumlee
Hibbert-Mahinmi

That squad has a great chance of beating Miami imo

Clifton
07-27-2013, 12:13 PM
What Indiana needs is a point guard. I don't know if there is another roster in the whole league that's totally devoid of a decent ballhandler. This is a very strong and deep era for PGs. They should be able to get one. What about Andre Miller or something?

As for Scola, I'm surprised San Antonio didn't go after him. Do they seriously think they're going to make the Finals again with what they've got? Why aren't they knocking on doors?

1~Gibson~1
07-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Scola and Hansbrough as back ups :bowdown: :bowdown: then trade Granger for a decent PG. Man Bird is killing it!!!!Keep Granger. The Pacers signed CJ Watson already. Not a starter, but a good backup PG for any team.

1~Gibson~1
07-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Why the hell do you people insist on trading Danny Granger? :oldlol:

He COULD be the player to get them over the hump.. Not saying he'd be the superstar of the team but his extra scoring/playmaking would be put to good use.

The Pacers are set at PG with Hill and Watson. They're good on bigs with West/Hibbert/Scola/other guy in rotation.. They don't need to make anymore moves.

Shawn Marion?? Really? I'd take Granger over any of the players mentioned in this thread anyday. :facepalm

1~Gibson~1
07-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Does anyone else here think Granger is overrated? I remember seeing him play a couple years ago and you couldn't even notice he was on the court except for when he was jacking up 3's. He must have shot about 10 and hit maybe 2. I think he shot over 7 3's a game that year.

Couldn't get to the rim (or didn't try at all), couldn't do anything after more than 2 dribbles, couldn't set a teammate up, stood around waiting for the ball all game. Didn't make anyone on the court better except the other team.

I think they'd be good trading him for anything decent in return, if not he can contribute some offensive punch and defense on the wings but his day's of being the #1 or 2 option should be over.He was playing pretty good basketball up until he got injured. But you're right, his days of being the no.1 or no.2 option are over. This is Paul George/David West's team and Danny will likely have to be the no.3 option. Danny Granger as a third option isn't bad.

el gringos
07-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Pacers- Gordon

Pelicans- granger, Tyson chandler

Knicks- Anderson, j smith

CanYouDigIt
07-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Shawn Marion?? Really? I'd take Granger over any of the players mentioned in this thread anyday. :facepalm

Offensively, I'd take Granger, but defensively, Marion is on a whole level above Granger. Pacers have a two potential 20 point 10 rebound bigs starting at the 4 and 5. Add George and Hill who can score as well, Pacers are set offensively.

It wouldn't hurt Indiana to have some more vets. Calderon can be a better conductor of the offense then Hill is, and Marion can provide decent offensive and great defense in a conference including Carmelo and Lebron.

kshutts1
07-27-2013, 01:16 PM
@canyoudigit -- Calderon, as a signed FA, can't be packaged with another player in a deal until Dec 15.

@Lakersdabest -- Psycho T is with Toronto now... not Indy.

And as for PG... I like what Pacers have. Hill is solid, and runs their offense (pound it inside, hit open shots) well. Watson is a decent scorer/creator off the bench, which the team needs.

As for trading Granger...

Granger for Nash. With MWP gone there's a void at the 3, plus Granger's contract is up this year, whereas Nash's runs through next year. Completely clean slate for Lakers.

Granger for Redick, Dudley (or Barnes). Trade would have to be done after Dec. 15, and obviously it hurts Clippers depth, but gives them more star power IF Granger can play like his former self. I don't like this trade for Clippers, but never know how other teams view Granger.

Granger for Thornton, Fredette, Thomas. Opens up starting SG spot to McLemore, while adding another threat to the Kings starting lineup. Pacers get their much-needed shooting, plus Thomas as a decent backup PG

irondarts
07-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Trade is official

Suns get:

Gerald Green
Miles Plumlee
2014 Lottery Protected First Round Pick

Pacers get:

Luis Scola

GreatHILL
07-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Trade is official

Suns get:

Gerald Green
Miles Plumlee

Pacers get:

Luis Scola

lmao MCDon is a genius :banana:

The Choken One
07-27-2013, 03:48 PM
I like the idea of Granger for Nash, but that's not happening. Pacers need to keep him unless they get a young, good PG.

bluechox2
07-27-2013, 04:05 PM
wow they gave up a a former first rounder and a future first rounder for a amnesty guy... dam

wait what, were not doing this now?

1~Gibson~1
07-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Offensively, I'd take Granger, but defensively, Marion is on a whole level above Granger. Pacers have a two potential 20 point 10 rebound bigs starting at the 4 and 5. Add George and Hill who can score as well, Pacers are set offensively.

It wouldn't hurt Indiana to have some more vets. Calderon can be a better conductor of the offense then Hill is, and Marion can provide decent offensive and great defense in a conference including Carmelo and Lebron.I agree with Marions defense but youd be better off finding a trade for a "D and 3" small forward that doesn't include Granger rather than trading him fir Marion. Those D and 3 wing players are everywhere.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-27-2013, 07:32 PM
I think Marion fits exceptionally well in Indiana. But all of this doesn't matter unless they land someone like LeBron, because George Hill will be their ultimate downfall.

04mzwach
07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Pacers could kill the Heat

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Trade is official

Suns get:

Gerald Green
Miles Plumlee

Pacers get:

Luis Scola
uhh, am I the only one who thinks Pacers gave up way too much here? Anyone know the protection of the pick? Regardless, just, wow. Let's hope Scola is some bench god.

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Why the hell do you people insist on trading Danny Granger? :oldlol:

He COULD be the player to get them over the hump.. Not saying he'd be the superstar of the team but his extra scoring/playmaking would be put to good use.

The Pacers are set at PG with Hill and Watson. They're good on bigs with West/Hibbert/Scola/other guy in rotation.. They don't need to make anymore moves.

Because it's diminishing returns and a player that could mess with team chemistry. His contract also expires after this season and the Pacers will likely not want to resign him.

So flip him now for actual needs and the team is better for sure in the long run and probably better in the short term as well.

Too many cooks in the kitchen. The last thing the Pacers need is a player taking shots/touches away from West/Hibbert/PG

CelticPride13
07-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Gerald Green will play good with the Suns next year. That team will be very fun to watch with him, Dragic, Bledsoe, Beasley and Len.

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 03:04 PM
uhh, am I the only one who thinks Pacers gave up way too much here? Anyone know the protection of the pick? Regardless, just, wow. Let's hope Scola is some bench god.

The Pacers are in win now mode. Green and Plumlee wouldn't crack the playoff roster over the next 3 years regardless. And neither would the 25th pick or worse player in the draft this year.

Scola should fit in very well on this team.

CanYouDigIt
07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Gerald Green will play good

Stopped there.... :facepalm

longtime lurker
07-28-2013, 03:54 PM

I cosign this statement. 2 1st rounders for Scola who was an amnesty guy. It's not going to kill the Pacers, but I don't see Scola as a huge difference maker on the bench.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
The Pacers are in win now mode. Green and Plumlee wouldn't crack the playoff roster over the next 3 years regardless. And neither would the 25th pick or worse player in the draft this year.

Scola should fit in very well on this team.
yeah I don't doubt that Scola will play well. He'l be a nice complementary piece to Hibbert and West off the bench. And I get the Pacers wanting to win now. But Plumlee looked good in Orlando Summer League, Green adds depth even if all he can do is slash and dunk, and a 1st rnd pick is a 1st rnd pick.

Just seems like a lot for a guy who maybe has 2 solid years left and isn't necessarily a game changer (though he can make a difference in a playoff series, sure). They could've kept all those assets and just signed Landry, Maxiell, or Stiemsma.

But, in Larry Bird I trust.

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 05:11 PM
yeah I don't doubt that Scola will play well. He'l be a nice complementary piece to Hibbert and West off the bench. And I get the Pacers wanting to win now. But Plumlee looked good in Orlando Summer League, Green adds depth even if all he can do is slash and dunk, and a 1st rnd pick is a 1st rnd pick.

Just seems like a lot for a guy who maybe has 2 solid years left and isn't necessarily a game changer (though he can make a difference in a playoff series, sure). They could've kept all those assets and just signed Landry, Maxiell, or Stiemsma.

But, in Larry Bird I trust.

My point is that Plumlee would likely never even play in the playoffs...and the Pacers can certainly go out and get someone better than Plumlee right now. Green does add some depth, but you'd simply much rather have Scola than Green...which is what the trade really boils down to in the here and now.

Yes, a first round pick is a first round pick, but it's not going to be one the Pacers are going to incorporate into their team over the next 3 years anyway. The Pacers have a legit shot to challenge for the title over the next 3 years.

Now they need to move Granger and solidify the roster imo.

Haymaker
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Pacers should trade Granger for Asik. :applause:

ProfessorMurder
07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Anyone doubting this move or saying the Pacers gave up to much doesn't know Scola well. Scola was amnestied because the Rockets wanted to rebuild, not because he was bad.

The Pacers go from brining Psycho T off the bench to bringing in Scola. That is a MASSIVE upgrade.

They have a frontline of:

George/Granger
West/Scola
Hibbert/Mahinmi

That's insane. They also picked up a decent PG. They just need one more backcourt guy and I think they could almost be the East favorites. If Granger can play at all and they grab a Delonte West type guy, they're nasty.

livingby3's
07-28-2013, 05:41 PM
one of those trades where both team are beneficial, both got what they want

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Anyone doubting this move or saying the Pacers gave up to much doesn't know Scola well. Scola was amnestied because the Rockets wanted to rebuild, not because he was bad.

The Pacers go from brining Psycho T off the bench to bringing in Scola. That is a MASSIVE upgrade.

They have a frontline of:

George/Granger
West/Scola
Hibbert/Mahinmi

That's insane. They also picked up a decent PG. They just need one more backcourt guy and I think they could almost be the East favorites. If Granger can play at all and they grab a Delonte West type guy, they're nasty.

Don't you think it might be a little bit of "too many cooks in the kitchen" if Granger comes back to this team?

I mean...he's a guy that probably isn't a very impactful player unless he's getting up between 15 and 18 shots. I just don't think that is what the Pacers need.

CanYouDigIt
07-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Don't you think it might be a little bit of "too many cooks in the kitchen" if Granger comes back to this team?

I mean...he's a guy that probably isn't a very impactful player unless he's getting up between 15 and 18 shots. I just don't think that is what the Pacers need.
As a Mavs fan, would you like to get Danny Granger for Marion and Jose?

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 06:41 PM
As a Mavs fan, would you like to get Danny Granger for Marion and Jose?

No. I'd do Marion/Larkin/Ellington for him though. Or Crowder instead of Ellington.

Don't want to give up Calderon.

colts19
07-28-2013, 07:00 PM
As a Pacer fan I am very happy. We took Miami to 7 games and we will be adding Granger, Scola, Watson and Copeland. While Miami has added nothing. I predict Indiana to win the title this year.

You have to remember the last 2 years we lost to Miami despite the fact our starting 5 outplayed their starting 5. Our bench just killed us. That has now changed.:banana: :banana: :banana:
Thank You Larry Legend.

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 07:11 PM
As a Pacer fan I am very happy. We took Miami to 7 games and we will be adding Granger, Scola, Watson and Copeland. While Miami has added nothing. I predict Indiana to win the title this year.

You have to remember the last 2 years we lost to Miami despite the fact our starting 5 outplayed their starting 5. Our bench just killed us. That has now changed.:banana: :banana: :banana:
Thank You Larry Legend.

I would make them favorites if they shed Granger for something else. I worry a lot about how Granger fits in with this team. And for their long term plans I really think they have to move him. No way are they bringing him back after this year. So ship him now and get something in return they actually need.

Haymaker
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
No. I'd do Marion/Larkin/Ellington for him though. Or Crowder instead of Ellington.

Don't want to give up Calderon.

Really? Calderon over Crowder?? :eek:

DMAVS41
07-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Really? Calderon over Crowder?? :eek:

The entire success of the Mavs offense relies on having a pg like Calderon. He's definitely more valuable to this Mavs team than Crowder.

Haymaker
07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
As a Pacer fan I am very happy. We took Miami to 7 games and we will be adding Granger, Scola, Watson and Copeland.

Granger was not "added", but anyway his knees are a question mark and I wouldn't be too excited about Watson. The offseason has not ended and I think Indy can get even better if they trade Granger for a better pg and a decent SG. Courtney Lee would be perfect to either start or come off the bench, but the Pacers must take Humphries' contract at least to match salaries and the C's won't give up Bradley.

Another option would be Granger for Thornton/I. THomas.

colts19
07-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Granger was not "added", but anyway his knees are a question mark and I wouldn't be too excited about Watson. The offseason has not ended and I think Indy can get even better if they trade Granger for a better pg and a decent SG. Courtney Lee would be perfect to either start or come off the bench, but the Pacers must take Humphries' contract at least to match salaries and the C's won't give up Bradley.

Another option would be Granger for Thornton/I. THomas.
Since he missed the entire year except for 5 games, I consider his impact to be added.

Haymaker
07-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Since he missed the entire year except for 5 games, I consider his impact to be added.

Of course, but it all depends on him:

A) Being ok with coming off the bench.

B) Having the same impact while playing less minutes/taking less shots.

C) His knee can withstand 82 games.

PacerRaptor
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM

Granger won't be coming off the bench (if he's healthy)

Hill/Watson
George/Stephenson
Granger/Copeland/S. Hill
West/Scola
Hibbert/Mahinmi

That's a pretty deep lineup with scoring off the bench at almost every Position

ihatetimthomas
07-29-2013, 02:47 AM

He wouldnt need to have the same impact. He is on a team where they have established themselves without him. Anything he can bring would be a added bonus. He will supplement a already established core.

Granger has never shown to be a headcase, and with the success they had I do not think he would become a disgruntled player.

Its not like the Pacers are going to live or die by him. If he can give a solid 18 mpg, that is huge. If he cant, then they can continue without him.

chazzy
07-29-2013, 03:08 AM

Pacers with Granger in 2012 - 7th best offense
Pacers without Granger the next year - 20th offense

I think he can be effective in a 6th man role. Indiana played way above their level offensively against Miami, they aren't usually that proficient. He's not a great player by any means, but maybe seeing how successful they were as a team without him and the emergence of PG will humble him a bit and allow him to accept a lesser role as a reserve scorer. Having him and Scola along with Watson now helps shore up a struggling bench that looked completely anemic offensively.

hawkfan
07-29-2013, 04:36 AM
The Pacers had to give up that first round pick to get rid of Green's terrible contract.

OmniStrife
07-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Suns are hoarding them picks!! MCD doin work.

colts19
07-29-2013, 09:40 AM
He wouldnt need to have the same impact. He is on a team where they have established themselves without him. Anything he can bring would be a added bonus. He will supplement a already established core.

Granger has never shown to be a headcase, and with the success they had I do not think he would become a disgruntled player.

Its not like the Pacers are going to live or die by him. If he can give a solid 18 mpg, that is huge. If he cant, then they can continue without him.

This is a great point. Danny has never been anything but a class guy with the pacers. If he can come back at 80% of what he was it will have a hugh impact on a already great team.

If you don't follow the pacers, you just can't know how bad out bench was last year. Add either Stephen or Granger to that bench with the other starting along with Scola and the Pacers become scary good.

Champs baby:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

DMAVS41
07-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Pacers with Granger in 2012 - 7th best offense
Pacers without Granger the next year - 20th offense

I think he can be effective in a 6th man role. Indiana played way above their level offensively against Miami, they aren't usually that proficient. He's not a great player by any means, but maybe seeing how successful they were as a team without him and the emergence of PG will humble him a bit and allow him to accept a lesser role as a reserve scorer. Having him and Scola along with Watson now helps shore up a struggling bench that looked completely anemic offensively.

Just too much of a different team now for that to mean anything in my opinion. George is just a completely different player than he was in 12. Stephenson was a non factor...and that team was playing Collison and Barbosa significant minutes in the playoffs.

They were the 9th best defense in 12 and were the best defense in 13. I think it's more of a style thing...not blaming Granger for the defensive difference.

I definitely agree that their offense needs to get better. I just don't think Granger is what fits best now or in the future. Who do you want shooting less on the Pacers? You definitely want PG taking more than 14.6 shots a game next year in the playoffs. So his shot total should go up and that is best for the Pacers. Hibbert and West should stay where they are at 12 to 13. I guess you'd say you would rather have Hill and Stephenson take less, but they were only taking 20 shots between them. Even if you reduce that by 25%...you are still only left with 5 extra shots...and that is without accounting for PG...who should be taking around 17 shots a game in the playoffs at minimum. Then you have Scola, Copeland, and Watson to account for as well.

The last thing the Pacers need is a guy like Granger out there in a contract year. It's not fair to Granger or the team. Trade him now and fill some needs and avoid the headache and potential chemistry issues a player that you know you aren't keeping for the future might cause.

DMAVS41
07-29-2013, 10:04 AM
This is a great point. Danny has never been anything but a class guy with the pacers. If he can come back at 80% of what he was it will have a hugh impact on a already great team.

If you don't follow the pacers, you just can't know how bad out bench was last year. Add either Stephen or Granger to that bench with the other starting along with Scola and the Pacers become scary good.

Champs baby:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

You are asking a lot from a player in a contract year.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Suns are hoarding them picks!! MCD doin work.
I'm curious what the protection on it is. It's interesting b/c one can assume Pacers won't be picking #1-20 any time soon.

edit:
nvm, I see - lotto protected