PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gorman: I want ball in Pierce's hands than Bird

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
This is very true and most people would shrug off the idea that Pierce has an argument over Bird as the greatest Celtic. Here's is Mike Gorman, play by play guy for the Celtics, his opinion on Pierce vs Bird.

[QUOTE]

Nash
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
kobe

Real Men Wear Green
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Larry Bird has 28/10/6 seasons. Larry Bird has 3 MVPs.

**Print Screen**
Wipe ass

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Some more quotes on those that agree with me from the Celtic hierarchy.

[QUOTE]

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 06:15 PM

**Print Screen**
Wipe ass

Please stop trolling in my thread.

kennethgriffin
07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
pierce is a very good clutch player. but common he's like top 70 all time. bird is top 10

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 06:21 PM
I think I would take Pierce also.

CelticPride13
07-30-2013, 06:21 PM
While I agree that Pierce is very underrated, Bird is a top 6 player all-time. Pierce is not more clutch than Larry.

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
pierce is a very good clutch player. but common he's like top 70 all time. bird is top 10

Why does that matter?

People on here are too obsessed with rankings.

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 06:24 PM

People are overrating Bird. This is the same guy people have above Kobe on their top 10 list when Bostonians and Celtics' hierarchy are making claims that Bird may not even be the best Celtic player.

kennethgriffin
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Why does that matter?

People on here are too obsessed with rankings.

ya who cares if a player is one of the top 10 players ever and the other is top 70-80 all time. why should how good a player have anything to do with whom you'd rather have taking the last shot

especially when that top 10 player ever is probably more or at least just as clutch as the 70-80th ranked player

bird might not be easly picked over a modern day legend such as lebron or kobe

but over pierce? common its not even a question.

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 06:26 PM

Here are Boston fans going crazy for Pierce when he passed Larry. Obviously the cheers and ovation really put into perspective of how good Pierce is.

Larry had the better resume due to great teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux9GPp9_z8Q

Xiao Yao You
07-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Bird no question.

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 06:30 PM
ya who cares if a player is one of the top 10 players ever and the other is top 70-80 all time. why should how good a player have anything to do with whom you'd rather have taking the last shot

especially when that top 10 player ever is probably more or at least just as clutch as the 70-80th ranked player

bird might not be easly picked over a modern day legend such as lebron or kobe

but over pierce? common its not even a question.

Most of his success is due to the great team he was on.

I get what you're saying but most of those people on the all time list had great teams.

You could take the #15 person on the list and he probably wouldn't be able to beat the #70 person on there 1 on 1.

I just don't put too much stock in the all time list cause like I said some is individual success and some due to being on great teams.

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Most of his success is due to the great team he was on.

I get what you're saying but most of those people on the all time list had great teams.

You could take the #15 person on the list and he probably wouldn't be able to beat the #70 person on there 1 on 1.

I just don't put too much stock in the all time list cause like I said some is individual success and some due to being on great teams.

There is no doubt Pierce's career parallels that of Larry.

http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/paul-pierce-larry-bird-600x600.jpg

kennethgriffin
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
People are overrating Bird. This is the same guy people have above Kobe on their top 10 list when Bostonians and Celtics' hierarchy are making claims that Bird may not even be the best Celtic player.

i agree bird is overrated a bit. but to the point where you put a guy who isnt even an all decade team player over him is kinda funny :lol

seriously pierce is awesome. hes clutch. but out of the 2000's era. i got these guys over him

my 15 man roster

#15 chris webber
#14 yao ming
#13 Tony parker
#12 dwight howard
#11 tracy mcgrady
#10 dirk nowitzki
#9 jason kidd
#8 allen iverson
#7 steve nash
#6 dwyane wade
#5 lebron james
#4 kevin garnett
#3 tim duncan
#2 shaquille o'neal
#1 kobe bryant

i'd even put ray allen above pierce as my honorable mention

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm not putting Pierce over Bird but I would like the ball in Pierce's had come crutch time.

You really cant go wrong with either choice.

kennethgriffin
07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm not putting Pierce over Bird but I would like the ball in Pierce's had come crutch time.

You really cant go wrong with either choice.

people here acting like clutch scoring isnt the #1 thing bird isn't known for

:lol

its his thing. about the only thing i'd say could translate into todays nba 100%

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 06:44 PM
people here acting like clutch scoring isnt the #1 thing bird isn't known for

its his thing. about the only thing i'd say could translate into todays nba 100%

You right.

I think in today's game though Pierce could create a shot for himself better than Bird could cause he's more athletic.

ThaRegul8r
07-30-2013, 06:48 PM
This is very true and most people would shrug off the idea that Pierce has an argument over Bird as the greatest Celtic.

Interestingly, there was nothing in the quoted segments that said anything about Bird as a player vs. Pierce.

Typical ISH standard practice.

kennethgriffin
07-30-2013, 06:49 PM
You right.

I think in today's game though Pierce could create a shot for himself better than Bird could cause he's more athletic.

crap athleticism and pierce being mentioned in the same sentence. now ive seen it all

both bird and pierce are kind of out of shape lookin. both could barely dunk the ball their whole career

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 06:53 PM
crap athleticism and pierce being mentioned in the same sentence. now ive seen it all

both bird and pierce are kind of out of shape lookin. both could barely dunk the ball their whole career

Come on bro!

So you trying to tell me that Bird and Pierce are on the same level in terms of athleticism?:facepalm

Smoke117
07-30-2013, 07:01 PM
This is just absurd. During the big three era I always thought it was better when they got Ray Allen a shot off a screen or two than when they went to Pierce. Paul goes to the same fall away jumper every time at the end of games. Bird could post up, come off some screens, and had the best court vision of any forward ever. Here's a guy who told opponents where exactly he was going to shoot and then did just that. The only thing Pierce has on Bird is ball handling.

Pierce was never even an particularly athletic player. He got to the rim with craftiness and good ball handling. It's the reason why he averaged so many ft's throughout his career. You'd have to be crazy though to want Pierce to take a shot over Larry Bird.

KyrieTheFuture
07-30-2013, 07:01 PM
But if pierce is so much better and more athletic, why hasn't he done anything better than Bird? Holding back for the sake of his legacy?

Inactive
07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Come on bro!

So you trying to tell me that Bird and Pierce are on the same level in terms of athleticism?:facepalmWtf? They are.

Pierce might be on a level with Bird as a scorer, but Bird did many other things much better than Pierce.

Smoke117
07-30-2013, 07:17 PM
This is very true and most people would shrug off the idea that Pierce has an argument over Bird as the greatest Celtic.

Paul Pierce has no argument as the greatest Celtic over. He's number 3 at the highest after Bill Russell and Larry Bird, so I don't know when you forgot that Bill Russell's dominance and his 11 rings don't matter. Pierce didn't win shit till KG and Ray showed up. Bill Russell and Larry Bird were the premier players of 14 championships. Nobody has ever won three league MVP's in a row since Larry Bird did in the 80s. Paul Pierce has never even come close to an league MVP.

TheBigVeto
07-30-2013, 07:47 PM
They are both infinitely better than Kobe

/thread

Pushxx
07-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Pierce is my hero but...I'll take Larry Legend over anybody all-time with my life on the line.

OldSkoolball#52
07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Whats your point?

Bird > Pierce > Kobe

Whats the problem?

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Wtf? They are.

Pierce might be on a level with Bird as a scorer, but Bird did many other things much better than Pierce.

So when it comes down to who's the athlete: Bird = Pierce?

You gotta be retarded if you think they are = in terms of athleticism.

You guys on ISH always preaching that old school is less athletic than new school but some how Pierce and Bird are equal.:facepalm

Blue&Orange
07-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I believe Pierce is a better player than Bird.

I believe this is the 5.006 time you should have said nothing.

Inactive
07-30-2013, 08:18 PM
So when it comes down to who's the athlete: Bird = Pierce?

You gotta be retarded if you think they are = in terms of athleticism.

You guys on ISH always preaching that old school is less athletic than new school but some how Pierce and Bird are equal.:facepalmHave you watched them play?

They're both below average for pro athletes in speed, and leaping ability. They both compensate for it with quick shots, falling away. Bird usually caught the ball on the move, and attacked fast. Pierce is a better ballhandler, and creates his own shots. Neither could rely on their speed to break down the defense, but they both occasionally froze defenders with a pump fake, and got a step on them. If Pierce jumps an inch or two higher, Bird makes up for it by being a few inches longer.

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Have you watched them play?

They're both below average for pro athletes in speed, and leaping ability. They both compensate for it with quick shots, falling away. Bird usually caught the ball on the move, and attacked fast. Pierce is a better ballhandler, and creates his own shots. Neither could rely on their speed to break down the defense, but they both occasionally froze defenders with a pump fake, and got a step on them. If Pierce jumps an inch or two higher, Bird makes up for it by being a few inches longer.

I have.

Pierce got that slow deceptive old black speed while Bird on the other hand is just plain out white guy slow.

No disrespect to white people.

Pierce just got a lazy game. He only does what he needs to without exerting a bunch of energy.

Do you want him to jump his highest or run his fastest on every play? That's a waste of energy.

Uncle Drew
07-30-2013, 08:25 PM
**Print Screen**
Sent Jeff/Steve
:eek:

Oh no you didn't

Inactive
07-30-2013, 08:29 PM
I have.

Pierce got that slow deceptive old black speed while Bird on the other hand is just plain out white guy slow.

No disrespect to white people.

Pierce just got a lazy game. He only does what he needs to without exerting a bunch of energy.

Do you want him to jump his highest or run his fastest on every play? That's a waste of energy. I forgot about that perfect correlation between melanin, and athleticism, my bad. Pierce's deceptive old black man game had me deceived.

Electric Slide
07-30-2013, 08:34 PM
He probably meant to say he wanted Pierce to have the ball in his hands so he could pass the ball to Bird.

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE]I

Jailblazers7
07-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Honestly, I might take Pierce over anyone since Jordan in a "get me a bucket for the win" type of situation.

9erempiree
07-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Honestly, I might take Pierce over anyone since Jordan in a "get me a bucket for the win" type of situation.

Another nod to Pierce.

TheReal Kendall
07-30-2013, 09:03 PM

After Jordan my choice would be Melo

Flash31
07-30-2013, 10:00 PM

Reggie Miller,Ray Allen,Chris Paul,D Wade,
Durant

are players over Pierce in a get me a bucket for the win
for starters

If anything though
Chalmers,Rudy,Tyreke would also be good options
for long shots or end of clock

Chalmers with his end of clock buzzer beating
half court 3s,
Rudy with beating the Raps,Heat,Nets

Tyreke with the Greatest Buzzer Beater of All Time
Down with 0.4 sec left,
Absolutely destroys the Grizz with an almost 3/4 length

Greatest commentary and crowd reaction ever,
In less than a sec

niko
07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Pierce at his best wasn't anywhere near Bird at his best. This is a stupid comparison. OP either just likes attention or really doesn't know much history.

ProfessorMurder
07-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Gorman has either hit the point of senility or he's just paying tribute to Pierce for what he did the last 10+ years (even if it's not true).

Everyone knows Bird is arguably the most clutch player ever.

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Gorman has either hit the point of senility or he's just paying tribute to Pierce for what he did the last 10+ years (even if it's not true).

Bird missed a lot too.

Jameerthefear
07-31-2013, 02:00 AM
Pierce isn't even on the same level as Bird.

BoutPractice
07-31-2013, 02:26 AM
What is the point of "physical impact"? There's only impact, no matter where it comes from... and Larry is unquestionably one of the most impactful players in NBA history.

Also, there's a huge weak point in his argument: "One wonders if Pierce had found himself anchoring 60 win teams at the same point Dirk Nowitzki was, if Pierce would

Dwade305
07-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Bout time you make a non Kobe thread thats worth discussion. The gap between Pierce and Bird is not as big as some will like to put it, but Bird has this mystique about him so it is understandable and he did much more to elevate not only the Celtics but the game of Basketball in general as a sport.

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 02:35 AM
Pierce eclipses Bird in scoring talent is his ability to get to the basket and finish strong at the rim. He also does a better job of blowing by defenders and drawing fouls at the basket. He, like Bird, is an excellent three-point shooter and is tremendous from the free throw line, always shooting above 80 percent.

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 02:45 AM
Pretty good insight on Dime.....

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/paul-pierce-5-3.jpg

[QUOTE]In 13 seasons playing with a rotating cast of Hall of Fame teammates

Cali Syndicate
07-31-2013, 03:28 AM

Well Phil Jackson, not hypothetically, but in an actual game, a playoff game at that, put the ball in Toni Kukoc's hands in the final seconds rather than Pippen's. A rookie over prime/peak Pippen.

In an iso situation, which is typically set up on the perimeter, yeah it makes more sense to let Pierce get the ball and create. Whether it be trying to get the defender on their heels and pull up or back them down for a post up move. Bird wasn't a perimeter player. If there is a play to get Bird the ball somewhere on the high or low post or a spot up shot, I'd see the ball to him instead. Similar to Dirk. You're going to want the ball in Dirk's hands with anything except an Iso situation on the perimeter.

eklip
07-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Well Phil Jackson, not hypothetically, but in an actual game, a playoff game at that, put the ball in Toni Kukoc's hands in the final seconds rather than Pippen's. A rookie over prime/peak Pippen.

In an iso situation, which is typically set up on the perimeter, yeah it makes more sense to let Pierce get the ball and create. Whether it be trying to get the defender on their heels and pull up or back them down for a post up move. Bird wasn't a perimeter player. If there is a play to get Bird the ball somewhere on the high or low post or a spot up shot, I'd see the ball to him instead. Similar to Dirk. You're going to want the ball in Dirk's hands with anything except an Iso situation on the perimeter.

Why wouldn't you want Dirk with the ball in iso situations on the perimeter? That's what Dirk did all the time at the end of games. The mavs gave him the ball at the 3 pt line and he tried to score. The mavs were one of the best teams in the clutch in Dirk's prime.

Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OcRxWV_de4c&t=146 (2:20 - 3:30, 4 consecutive FGs against OKC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k4Li-iT8QU (Gamewinner against Miami)

Young Dirk did even more from the perimeter.

AirFederer
07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Only if Pierce inbounds to Larry :lol

SpurrDurr
07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Only if Pierce inbounds to Larry :lol
:roll:

MaxFly
07-31-2013, 08:32 AM
I can see a few arguments for giving the ball to Pierce over Bird in specific situations, but overall, I'd still want to see the ball in Bird's hands at the end of a game. As for whether they are on or close to the same level... :facepalm

Jailblazers7
07-31-2013, 08:52 AM

I think it is definitely the former. He is just trying to give Pierce respect because he is a player who hasn't really gotten the credit he deserves.

I don't think the statement is as outlandish as it appears on the surface (even tho its def not true) because Pierce has been a great clutch shooter in his career.

dunksby
07-31-2013, 09:09 AM
9erempire is peaking.

AirFederer
07-31-2013, 09:20 AM
If I have betted againt the Celtics...then hell Yeah

No disrespect of PP

salwan
07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
:cry: :cry:

He and KG should have ended their careers in Boston,even if it would slow down the rebuilding process.

but that's life in the NBA I guess, you have to look at the biger picture

riseagainst
07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
:roll:

Bird over Pierce. :lol

kNIOKAS
07-31-2013, 01:07 PM
This is just absurd. During the big three era I always thought it was better when they got Ray Allen a shot off a screen or two than when they went to Pierce. Paul goes to the same fall away jumper every time at the end of games. Bird could post up, come off some screens, and had the best court vision of any forward ever. Here's a guy who told opponents where exactly he was going to shoot and then did just that. The only thing Pierce has on Bird is ball handling.

Pierce was never even an particularly athletic player. He got to the rim with craftiness and good ball handling. It's the reason why he averaged so many ft's throughout his career. You'd have to be crazy though to want Pierce to take a shot over Larry Bird.
Um right.

Pierce was an extremely athletic player, you just had to see him. He was slashing like a beast, and got to the rim at will (although he wasn't phenomenal finisher, so he would get fouled and go shoot from the stripe). You just hadn't seen him, I suppose.

Now, I have enormous respect for Mike Gorman but I don't really know where he is coming from. Pierce has let me down a lot of times, and he was having mental lapses late in his career (and I mean, he still is). He's not neccessarily to make a right move in the clutch after his shot is taken away. You still can make a game winning play, even if you can't shoot... Pierce has some problems on that.

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 02:14 PM
Um right.

Pierce was an extremely athletic player, you just had to see him. He was slashing like a beast, and got to the rim at will (although he wasn't phenomenal finisher, so he would get fouled and go shoot from the stripe). You just hadn't seen him, I suppose.

Now, I have enormous respect for Mike Gorman but I don't really know where he is coming from. Pierce has let me down a lot of times, and he was having mental lapses late in his career (and I mean, he still is). He's not neccessarily to make a right move in the clutch after his shot is taken away. You still can make a game winning play, even if you can't shoot... Pierce has some problems on that.

Pierce was an athletic player. Nobody noticed because they were losers early.

SpurrDurr
07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Pierce was an athletic player. Nobody noticed because they were losers early.

I appreciate your effort but it's not gonna happen

sportjames23
07-31-2013, 03:03 PM

Then you don't want to give yourself a better chance to win.

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
I definitely don't want the ball in Bird's hands for a game winner. Bird can't create his own shot. He can do it from the post or he spots up for his trademark 3 pointer.

Bird is not a guy that will create his own shot in a couple of seconds time when you need that winning shot. If there were time and if you can get Bird the ball in the post. Even if you get him the ball in the post, the double is going to come.

This is why Pierce is a much better player. He will create and get a shot off. It doesn't take long for Pierce to create.

Fresh Kid
07-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Mike Gorman is on some serious drugs for saying that shit.

CavaliersFTW
07-31-2013, 04:06 PM
IMO Pierce doesn't even have a case over Sam Jones as "Greatest Celtic". Let alone players in the caliber of Larry Bird who himself I feel actually isn't close to what Bill Russell did for the Boston franchise - so I don't know what OP is getting at :oldlol:

SHAQisGOAT
07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
"Pierce over Bird in the clutch" :facepalm

"Bird couldn't create his own shot" :facepalm

"Pierce pretty close to Bird as a player" :facepalm

Who the **** is this guy? Lol, major troll. People like this shouldn't be allowed to discuss basketball.

Let's just forget that the Celtics had the 2nd worst record in the league and when Bird got there he led them to the best record with the same players, then adding Parish and removing Cowens he led them to a championship. Let's just forget that in 1984, everybody underperformed in the playoffs while Bird went wild and led them to a ring, leading the team in points, rebounds, assists, FG%, FT%, as a forward non-ball-dominant... That's just unreal.
Parish wouldn't be a HoF'er without playing for the Celtics with Bird, DJ probably the same, Walton was not at his best and was only there for a year, Cowens was in his last years and only a year with Bird also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfsc-LWgE6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS_UJOEpROk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6sLMupoQLQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEmcemLR7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpjCnOoO1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnwSeMiVaU

/thread

Flash31
07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Bout time you make a non Kobe thread thats worth discussion. The gap between Pierce and Bird is not as big as some will like to put it, but Bird has this mystique about him so it is understandable and he did much more to elevate not only the Celtics but the game of Basketball in general as a sport.

Nope Its still a Kobe thread,Just a lot more subtle.

Hes basically saying Pierce over Bird in which case
Kobe over Pierce so Kobe over Bird

A laker fan trashing the 2nd goat Celtic and one of the Goat players
you wonder why

Most people rank Bird over Kobe and in this thread
hes trying to make people believe Pierce is better or better in the clutch
which well most,almost all people rank Kobe over Pierce
so

his agenda of Raising Kobe over Bird works then

Harison
07-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Gorman has no slightest clue what clutch means, or basketball in general :confusedshrug:

Wally450
07-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Gorman has no slightest clue what clutch means, or basketball in general :confusedshrug:

Lol at this post

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Then you don't want to give yourself a better chance to win.

How so?

Pierce is just as clutch

GOBB
07-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Pierce has no argument for greatest Celtic ever. Stop.

**Print Screen**
Wipe ass

you're sense of humor here is kind of dry but this is the funniest shyt I've read from you in a long time. Well done! Bravo! :applause:

:roll: :roll:

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 05:19 PM

Who the **** is this guy? Lol, major troll. People like this shouldn't be allowed to discuss basketball.

Let's just forget that the Celtics had the 2nd worst record in the league and when Bird got there he led them to the best record with the same players, then adding Parish and removing Cowens he led them to a championship. Let's just forget that in 1984, everybody underperformed in the playoffs while Bird went wild and led them to a ring, leading the team in points, rebounds, assists, FG%, FT%, as a forward non-ball-dominant... That's just unreal.
Parish wouldn't be a HoF'er without playing for the Celtics with Bird, DJ probably the same, Walton was not at his best and was only there for a year, Cowens was in his last years and only a year with Bird also...

/thread

:facepalm

I can't take anything you say serious because you think Shaq is the GOAT.:facepalm

All your credibility has gone out the window.

sportjames23
07-31-2013, 05:47 PM
How so?

Pierce is just as clutch

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM

/thread

Just stop it. They already said Pierce is more clutch than Bird. This isn't opinion. The source/writers are going by stats.

MMM
08-01-2013, 12:34 AM
either way Pierce and Bird>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe

FKAri
08-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Successful troll.

Also, I'm sure most of you have noticed that this is just another attempt by 9er to prop up Kobe ahead of another all-time great (this time Bird).

9erempiree
08-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Successful troll.

Also, I'm sure most of you have noticed that this is just another attempt by 9er to prop up Kobe ahead of another all-time great (this time Bird).

Saying Pierce is better in the clutch than Bird, is now propping Kobe?

:facepalm

Geez, I better not have an opinion on anyone than.