PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner charged with attempted murder after shooting unarmed black 14-year-old.

longhornfan1234
07-31-2013, 12:39 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380954/Merritt-Landry-Homeowner-shoots-unarmed-14-year-old-head-suspicion-burglary.html

AlphaWolf24
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
- Problem is....Looking at the picture of the house...it has a metal GATE around the perimeter.

- If you are the home owner...and someone has climbed over the gate ...you have to think something bad is going on.

- and If you are a thief.....what do you expect is going to happen? seriously.

you know someone is going to shoot you if they have a gun.....

14 years old.....where the F are the PARENTS???

daily
07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
14 years old.....where the F are the PARENTS???
As a parent that was my first thought when reading that, 14 years old and out at 2am? WTF? Kids been busted for theft before, time to set some type of boundaries for the kid before he gets himself into real trouble.

PistonsFan#21
07-31-2013, 02:07 PM
so now you can shoot and kill anyone thats on your property? Or is that part of the self defense law?

daily
07-31-2013, 02:08 PM
so now you can shoot and kill anyone thats on your property? Or is that part of the self defense law?:facepalm Evidently not seeing how's he's charged with attempted murder.

bmulls
07-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Historical rights man!

But really, why is dude in someone else's property at 2 AM?

Just wait until Rasheed and Pointguard find out about this, we'll have a perfectly rational explanation for why this kid hopped the man's fence at 2AM :rolleyes:

CanYouDigIt
07-31-2013, 02:11 PM
How long until Al and Jesse make a National Case of this?

PistonsFan#21
07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
:facepalm Evidently not seeing how's he's charged with attempted murder.

he has not been proven guilty yet has he? and he stated that he killed him in self defense. So im asking if killing someone that trespassed on your property is a valid reason

Myth
07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Hmmm.... I'm not as bothered by this "self defense" killing as the Zimmerman-Martin one. You jump a fence into somebody's yard, they will feel threatened. Zimmerman pursued Martin.

qrich
07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
he has not been proven guilty yet has he? and he stated that he killed him in self defense. So im asking if killing someone that trespassed on your property is a valid reason

Depends on the area. In some, if someone trespasses, that only is enough for a not guilty verdict, or to even not be indicted. In others, there needs more than just trespassing for it to be considered justifiable homicide.

daily
07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
he has not been proven guilty yet has he? and he stated that he killed him in self defense. So im asking if killing someone that trespassed on your property is a valid reasonWhat's Louisiana Law say? I'd say since he was charged the police don't belive it's a valid reason

jdiaby
07-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Nothing to see here
He may be a professional thief but he'd never carry a gun?? How's this homeowner supposed to know that? I feel bad for the homeowner who was forced to make that decision, but I don't feel bad at all for the "professional thief" who finally picked the wrong place to burglarize. Once you're on another person's property, in the middle of the night, behind a fence, all bets are off.

Heavincent
This guy is obviously a degenerate racist. Why would you shoot some poor kid who was on his property at 2 AM...who has a history of burglary arrests? Nothing suspicious about that at all. Kid was just minding his own business.

How long before Obama expresses his symphony for this poor child?

ace23
Can we stop making threads about self-defense cases?

97 bulls
07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Hmmm.... I'm not as bothered by this "self defense" killing as the Zimmerman-Martin one. You jump a fence into somebody's yard, they will feel threatened. Zimmerman pursued Martin.
Im not either. I mean, I believe he didnt have to shoot the kid for fear of his safety, but the kid was on his property at 2 am. But the man shouldve called the police

AlphaWolf24
07-31-2013, 02:29 PM
so now you can shoot and kill anyone thats on your property? Or is that part of the self defense law?

Not sure how it works in NOLA...

Looking at the pics of the house....( Google map 733 mandeville st new orleans)

It has at least a 4' high metal fence/gate around the property.....will the Court look at his property inside the Gate as his home?

- again....race should not be the issue.......we have to look at all the facts....

9erempiree
07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
It's sad that a teen was shot but hopefully this puts the public on notice. This is what's so good about owning guns and being able to protect yourself, family and property. Hopefully this puts people on notice and deter criminals from trying to commit a crime.

Kungfro
07-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Obviously if he's jumping over a gate into his property at 2am he's up to no good. It would be nice to know some more details though, like if the guy called the cops first or gave the kid a warning. I'd bet the kid would bolt if he knew someone saw him. There's something about taking aim at a kid from 30 feet away and shooting him in the head that doesn't really say "self defense" to me, but again, need more details.

97 bulls
07-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Obviously if he's jumping over a gate into his property at 2am he's up to no good. It would be nice to know some more details though, like if the guy called the cops first or gave the kid a warning. I'd bet the kid would bolt if he knew someone saw him. There's something about taking aim at a kid from 30 feet away and shooting him in the head that doesn't really say "self defense" to me, but again, need more details.
The shooter claims he thought the kid was reaching for something. Thus the cause for self-defense. I think he has a good case as long as he didnt shoot the kid in the back. Once you enter another persons property at 2am, your kinda at their mercy.

Kungfro
07-31-2013, 03:21 PM
The shooter claims he thought the kid was reaching for something. Thus the cause for self-defense. I think he has a good case as long as he didnt shoot the kid in the back. Once you enter another persons property at 2am, your kinda at their mercy.

Maybe, though the police on the scene didn't see it that way seeing he was charged for attempted murder. Again, I think there are a lot of details that likely haven't been made public yet. The scenario that's being described as of right now just sounds like a vehicle break in, which doesn't warrant being shot.

StocktonFan
07-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Should have killed the bitch

97 bulls
07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Maybe, though the police on the scene didn't see it that way seeing he was charged for attempted murder. Again, I think there are a lot of details that likely haven't been made public yet. The scenario that's being described as of right now just sounds like a vehicle break in, which doesn't warrant being shot.
I think youd be hard pressed proving that kid wasnt shot out of self-defense based on the situation and whether or not he was shot in the back.

32jazz
07-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Not sure how it works in NOLA...

Looking at the pics of the house....( Google map 733 mandeville st new orleans)

It has at least a 4' high metal fence/gate around the property.....will the Court look at his property inside the Gate as his home?

- again....race should not be the issue.......we have to look at all the facts....

I lived in New Orleans in 2002 when a similar case happened. A Black man named Sean Minor shot & killed a Black teen(to satisfy the bigots here) from the balcony of his home while his car was actually being burglarized.

Minor was arrested & charged with Manslaughter because in Louisiana one must be in 'imminent danger' & shooting someone from your balcony isn't considered 'imminent' danger.

There was some public empathy for Minor (due to high crime rate in N.O) & the Prosecutor cut a deal with him on Negligent homicide because of public sentiment he felt a jury wouldn't convict on Manslaughter.

Sean Minor was given 5 years suspended sentence to be served on probation & fined several thousand dollars. I could see this one going the same way perhaps as the older Brother/caretaker admits that the kid is a thief.

32jazz
07-31-2013, 04:15 PM
....hopefully this puts the public on notice. This is what's so good about owning guns and being able to protect yourself, family and property. Hopefully this puts people on notice and deter criminals from trying to commit a crime.

:rolleyes: Gtfoh. The last time a shooting like this occurred in New Orleans was 2002(Sean Minor) & we are absolutely awash in guns here in New Orleans(South Louisiana).

There have been mllions of car thefts , burglaries & auto break-ins in the 11 years since Sean Minor in the N.O./Baton Rouge Metro area, but it's rare that guns have prevented them.

I own 4 guns & they surely didn't deter the 3 car break ins I have suffered.:no:

You really think criminals don't understand the risks they are taking ,yet take them anyway? You see burglars /car thiefs typically commit crimes when no one is around (that's the object)& aren't interested in confrontation nor killing anyone. They just want your stuff & occasionally they get caught in the act.

Truck Drivers & dozens of other Professions are far deadlier jobs than car thiefs & burglars.

The gun nuts come out of the woodwork on those very, very , very rare occasions( a few dozen or hundred a year?) when someone uses a gun to thwart the 3 million annual burglaries/car thefts & 10's of millions of car break- ins. Same nonsense 'determent' argument is used on Capital punishment.

magic chiongson
07-31-2013, 04:27 PM

here, this guy had a more valid reason than zimmerman

joe
07-31-2013, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes: Gtfoh. The last time a shooting like this occurred in New Orleans was 2002(Sean Minor) & we are absolutely awash in guns here in New Orleans(South Louisiana).

There have been mllions of car thefts , burglaries & auto break-ins in the 11 years since Sean Minor in the N.O./Baton Rouge Metro area, but it's rare that guns have prevented them.

I own 4 guns & they surely didn't deter the 3 car break ins I have suffered.:no:

You really think criminals don't understand the risks they are taking ,yet take them anyway? You see burglars /car thiefs typically commit crimes when no one is around (that's the object)& aren't interested in confrontation nor killing anyone. They just want your stuff & occasionally they get caught in the act.

Truck Drivers & dozens of other Professions are far deadlier jobs than car thiefs & burglars.

The gun nuts come out of the woodwork on those very, very , very rare occasions( a few dozen or hundred a year?) when someone uses a gun to thwart the 3 million annual burglaries/car thefts & 10's of millions of car break- ins. Same nonsense 'determent' argument is used on Capital punishment.

But by the same token, gun use in these cases has been rendered impotent (or at least soggy) by the laws in place. 1) Needing permits/licenses to legally carry guns means less people will own them. 2) Different states with different laws, means people are confused about when it's okay to shoot someone on your property, or at what point is it self-defense. If the law was clear... you're allowed to shoot anyone who breaks into your property.. people would be quicker to pull the trigger.

Jackass18
08-01-2013, 11:45 AM

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/07/louisiana_stand_your_ground_zi.html

"Long before Louisiana took steps to enact its own stand your ground laws in 2006, it had in place strict "castle laws." These statutes allow any Louisianian to use force, deadly or otherwise, to protect oneself on his or her property, or "castle." The protection is applicable to both one's home and car.

Specifically, before 2006 the law said the use of force was justifiable when preventing an offense against one's personal safety or the safety of one's property, but only if the amount of forced used was "reasonable and apparently necessary to prevent such offense."

The law also stated homicide was justifiable in similar cases: when committed in self-defense by one who "reasonably believes" he is in danger of great bodily harm or death; to prevent a forcible felony; and to prevent trespass on private property."

"Donald Aaron was found guilty of negligent homicide in the 2005 shooting death of Ronald Jamison in Caddo Parish. Upon arriving home, Aaron found Jamison in his driveway. Aaron said he believed Jamison had burglarized his home. When Jamison reached into his pocket to grab a beer bottle, Aaron opened fire, shooting him seven times.

Aaron said he was in the right to shoot Jamison under the state's castle laws. The grand jury disagreed, charging him with manslaughter. A trial jury found him guilty of the lesser charge of negligent homicide and a gun offense. He was sentenced to five years hard labor without parole."

Louisiana has added some SYG provisions to its laws since then, so he has a better shot of walking free.

dude77
08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
ridiculous ... this guy's defending his castle .. you wanna act like a piece of shit and break into people's homes you get what you deserve .. your home is the one place where you should ALWAYS feel safe .. I really really fkn hate people who do this shit .. no sympathy .. no mercy .. no nothing

LikeABosh
08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Dont break into someones house if you dont wanna get shot

Scholar
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I think the owner should be freed. It's bad enough his house is on display for everyone to look up online, potentially jeopardizing the man's family's safety. I bet the arrest triggers terrible events in his life, such as the possibility of losing his job, people refusing to hire him based on an idiotic fear of being known for hiring a "racist killer," etc.

Once you hop over into someone's property late at night, you're setting yourself up for death. I'd have done the same thing this man did, except I don't own a gun and CA's laws are so strict that I'd be f*cked anyway.

At any rate, you can't blame this man for taking action. I'm sure in his mind, it was kill or be killed. Sure, he could've called the cops, but I'm sure he figured it'd be too risky to wait for them.

TheMan
08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I bet that if he would've fired off a warning shot and told them he's called the police, they would've ran away. Shooting someone from 30 ft away does not put you in imminent danger. Typical 'Murican response, shoot first and ask questions later.

Jackass18
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
ridiculous ... this guy's defending his castle .. you wanna act like a piece of shit and break into people's homes you get what you deserve .. your home is the one place where you should ALWAYS feel safe .. I really really fkn hate people who do this shit .. no sympathy .. no mercy .. no nothing

People don't deserve to die for standing on someone's property or even for stealing, but then again, I know you're a piece of shit.

Heavincent
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
People don't deserve to die for standing on someone's property or even for stealing, but then again, I know you're a piece of shit.

If you're invading someone's property, then yes, you do deserve to die. I have no pity for someone who gets killed trying to break into someone's home (which is what this kid was clearly about to do). It might sound harsh, but this kid got what was coming to him.

MavsSuperFan
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
If you're invading someone's property, then yes, you do deserve to die. I have no pity for someone who gets killed trying to break into someone's home (which is what this kid was clearly about to do). It might sound harsh, but this kid got what was coming to him.

This, if my younger brother had done this I would be ashamed that he was a criminal.

daily
08-01-2013, 02:05 PM

What if he's just retrieving a ball that went over the fence? What if he's catching a dog that got out? He can't knock on the door without going through the gate so even if he's playing by the rules and is going to ask for permission to be on the property he has to be on the property to reach the door.

My biggest problems with all this is he's 14 and was out at 2am. the parents have to answer some questions here. they hold some responsibility.

The home owner was out of bounds on this one, he has no reason whatsoever to be overreacting like this, a person standing in your front yard no matter the time of day is not a justifiable reason to kill them.

Heavincent
08-01-2013, 02:12 PM
What if he's just retrieving a ball that went over the fence? What if he's catching a dog that got out? He can't knock on the door without going through the gate so even if he's playing by the rules and is going to ask for permission to be on the property he has to be on the property to reach the door.

A kid with a history of burglary arrests jumping a fence and standing in some dudes yard at 2 AM...

if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.

ace23
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
This is why my momma told me to never jump a white man's fence.

Jackass18
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
If you're invading someone's property, then yes, you do deserve to die. I have no pity for someone who gets killed trying to break into someone's home (which is what this kid was clearly about to do).

No, that is what you assume. There's a good chance he was going to steal, but maybe it was something from the car or something from the yard. The kid deserved to be arrested and questioned by the police. Death? You people are cold. Always trying to justify killing (or nearly killing in this case) other people. How do you people value life so little? The kid posed no threat at time, so how can you just shoot him? Suspicion of theft is not justification for shooting someone. I thought people were innocent until proven guilty? Nah, we just go straight to the execution part.

A kid with a history of burglary arrests jumping a fence and standing in some dudes yard at 2 AM...

The guy didn't know that kid had a history of burglary arrests.

MavsSuperFan
08-01-2013, 02:56 PM

My biggest problems with all this is he's 14 and was out at 2am. the parents have to answer some questions here. they hold some responsibility.

The home owner was out of bounds on this one, he has no reason whatsoever to be overreacting like this, a person standing in your front yard no matter the time of day is not a justifiable reason to kill them.

:biggums:
are you actually arguing he wasn't going to break into the house to steal stuff?

2am
history of burglary arrests
his own brother called him a professional thief.

Guy did society a favor imo.

I had my car broken into once, went shopping with a gf and left the bags in the car when we went to get something to eat. worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Thieves are scum imo. Especially ones that break into someones house. Its not that hard to go through life and not steal things. I am almost 27 and I can honestly say I have never stolen anything in my whole life. Not shoplifted, pickpocketed, much less breaking into someone's house.

I cant even comprehend how selfish and lazy you have to be to use theft as your income source rather than getting a job.

Saudi Arabia got it right on this one. They cut off the hands of theives.

Also just for the record I would feel the same way no matter what the races involved were. Take the case of Roderick Scott for example.

Black man caught white teenagers breaking into cars in his neighbourhood. Went to stop them with a gun. White scumbag teenager Christopher Cervini charged at him unarmed. Scott shot and killed Cervini before cervini could lay a finger on him. Later Scott was acquitted of all charges because of the potential that he could have been harmed.

If I am being honest, (you cant in real life nowadays) I am happy that Cervini will not be able to break into any cars in the future.

MavsSuperFan
08-01-2013, 02:59 PM
No, that is what you assume. There's a good chance he was going to steal, but maybe it was something from the car or something from the yard. The kid deserved to be arrested and questioned by the police. Death? You people are cold. Always trying to justify killing (or nearly killing in this case) other people. How do you people value life so little? The kid posed no threat at time, so how can you just shoot him? Suspicion of theft is not justification for shooting someone. I thought people were innocent until proven guilty? Nah, we just go straight to the execution part.

I cant speak for anyone else but I dont value the lives of thieves, rapists, child molesters, human traffickers, torturers, murderers and etc.

Its wrong to judge someone by factors they can't control, like race, sexual orientation, disabilities, ethnicity, nationality, etc. But it is entirely fine to judge someone by the content of their characters. Thieves make the choice to be self, lazy, greedy and immoral.

I dont care what your age is you break into houses to steal stuff because you are too lazy and selfish to do honest work, you are sub-human to me.

daily
08-01-2013, 03:05 PM

if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.
False statement on your part. You're saying the homeowner was justified in shooting a kid in his front yard because he knew all this when he pulled the trigger?

Hittin_Shots
08-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I cant speak for anyone else but I dont value the lives of thieves, rapists, child molesters, human traffickers, torturers, murderers and etc.

Its wrong to judge someone by factors they can't control, like race, sexual orientation, disabilities, ethnicity, nationality, etc. But it is entirely fine to judge someone by the content of their characters. Thieves make the choice to be self, lazy, greedy and immoral.

I dont care what your age is you break into houses to steal stuff because you are too lazy and selfish to do honest work, you are sub-human to me.

Is there proof that people aren't born criminals? people are obviously born their race and have no control. There is an argument over being born gay, so ur born desiring the same sex you can understand but what if people are born desiring to steal... Maybe these urges are uncontrollable for them?

Hittin_Shots
08-01-2013, 03:13 PM
False statement on your part. You're saying the homeowner was justified in shooting a kid in his front yard because he knew all this when he pulled the trigger?

Looks to me he's just into identifying ducks.

CeltsGarlic
08-01-2013, 03:14 PM

he was black

Bobcats2013
08-01-2013, 03:17 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/29/article-2380954-1B0D6394000005DC-333_634x512.jpg

This kid is 14? He looks atleast 18. This isn't attempted murder, this is some criminal violating the law and getting exactly what he deserves.

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Bullshit...

- plus it wasn't a typical Front yard.....It was inside a small Gated Area right next to the door.

- Best believe if I come across someone in my Fenced in Front or Back yard at 2 in the morning.....I'm on high alert....and my strap is gonna be quik

Bandito
08-01-2013, 03:25 PM
This is why my momma told me to never jump a white man's fence.
Your momma is a smart woman.:cheers:

Jackass18
08-01-2013, 04:27 PM

If the kid dies, then the guy who shot him could very well be considered a murderer... He's up for attempted murder now.

The kid didn't break into the guy's house. Sub-human? People can't change? People can't grow? People don't make mistakes? People don't go through awfully rough times and make stupid/poor decisions? You just give up on people so quickly? Some people just do it for the adrenaline rush. Suspicion of theft is justification for killing someone? Don't you understand how dangerous that is? I'm just glad people like you aren't in a position to make laws. We'd be executing everyone for making a mistake.

I had my car broken into once, went shopping with a gf and left the bags in the car when we went to get something to eat. worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Everybody has had something stolen from them. I've had my things stolen on various occasions, but I never wished death on the perpetrators. It sucks, but they're just items. Some people are too damn possessive of the shit they waste their money on. The government steals all the time. Human history is full of theft.

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2013, 05:18 PM

The kid didn't break into the guy's house. Sub-human? People can't change? People can't grow? People don't make mistakes? People don't go through awfully rough times and make stupid/poor decisions? You just give up on people so quickly? Some people just do it for the adrenaline rush. Suspicion of theft is justification for killing someone? Don't you understand how dangerous that is? I'm just glad people like you aren't in a position to make laws. We'd be executing everyone for making a mistake.

- I understand where your coming from.....but.

your expecting alot from people .....to act against thier own Human nature...and put faith in another person who is posing a Threat.

- You expect a man , who has 2 small children....to go against his instinct and NOT protect his family?....

- not everyone is as in control of the universe/personel emotoin as you seem to be. ( DO YOU have children?..if so...do you remember how you were when your girl was pregnant?.....or how dfensive you were when they were young?)

- fact is....another man was on his property at 2am ( small Gated area in front of his house) and the shooter felt threatened ( I know I would)..

you cannot fault this person for blasting away ( at least not from the facts I herad about yet)

- When i was in junior High.....I lived with my Uncle on a airforce base.....

one of my good friends ( lets call him Derek) his dad ( a airforce sergeant) killed another man one day after school..( shot the other man in the head)

I found out a few weeks later I had found out....the man that was shot had Molested ( I don't know the full details) Derek when Derek was a toddler....

his dad found out ( I don't know if Derek or his brother told him) and took matters in his own hands....

- should Dereks Dad had forgave the man?....took another path then the one he chose?....who knows.....IMO he did the right thing.

- you threaten another mans family.....IMO most men will retaliate with swift justice.....especially if you are on thier property

MMM
08-01-2013, 05:32 PM
- I understand where your coming from.....but.

your expecting alot from people .....to act against thier own Human nature...and put faith in another person who is posing a Threat.

- You expect a man , who has 2 small children....to go against his instinct and NOT protect his family?....

- not everyone is as in control of the universe/personel emotoin as you seem to be. ( DO YOU have children?..if so...do you remember how you were when your girl was pregnant?.....or how dfensive you were when they were young?)

- fact is....another man was on his property at 2am ( small Gated area in front of his house) and the shooter felt threatened ( I know I would)..

you cannot fault this person for blasting away ( at least not from the facts I herad about yet)

- When i was in junior High.....I lived with my Uncle on a airforce base.....

one of my good friends ( lets call him Derek) his dad ( a airforce sergeant) killed another man one day after school..( shot the other man in the head)

I found out a few weeks later I had found out....the man that was shot had Molested ( I don't know the full details) Derek when Derek was a toddler....

his dad found out ( I don't know if Derek or his brother told him) and took matters in his own hands....

- should Dereks Dad had forgave the man?....took another path then the one he chose?....who knows.....IMO he did the right thing.

- you threaten another mans family.....IMO most men will retaliate with swift justice.....especially if you are on thier property

no problem with that just be ready to pay the consequences which most men that you just described would.

MavsSuperFan
08-01-2013, 05:40 PM
If the kid dies, then the guy who shot him could very well be considered a murderer... He's up for attempted murder now.

Everybody has had something stolen from them. I've had my things stolen on various occasions, but I never wished death on the perpetrators. It sucks, but they're just items. Some people are too damn possessive of the shit they waste their money on. The government steals all the time. Human history is full of theft.
I held my opinion of thieves long before that incident. I still to this day have no idea who did it. Cops didnt seem to care at all.

Its not about being possessive of items. I get offended when i see people stealing from people I have zero connection with. Its the selfishness that gets to me the most.

Say you have your average store. The owners probably work their asses off to stay in business. Then you have a punk who is too good to go flip burgers decide that the effort these people have put into their lives doesnt mean shit and he goes and robs them. The burglar in effect thinks he is better than the hard working honest people.

IMO that 14 year old (based on his brother's assessment and his history of burglary and the fact that he hopped a fence at 2 am) was going to rob that family. Maybe you live in some alternate dimension where he was going to go collect money for charity, but I dont buy that.

Home invasions can turn violent against the victims very quickly.

I have zero sympathy for this 14 year old. age is not an excuse for criminality

Sure people can change, its rare and personally I have never seen it, but I will accept it happens. If someone gets shot breaking into someone's house tough luck for them that they didnt change their criminal behavior soon enough.

yes if someone is jumping on to your property over your high fence at 2 am, they probably arent coming to help collect donations for starving children. Context is important. This clearly was a burglary in process.

Many states have property laws in line with my thinking.

Mistake? ya he accidently climbed over the fence at 2 am. he thought it was his house. :rolleyes:
All of his previous burglaries were accidents too :rolleyes:

MMM
08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
How much control of behavior do criminals actually have??? if our genetic make up of greatly impacts out behavior than than don't they fit your description here.

Its wrong to judge someone by factors they can't control

self, lazy, greedy and immoral.

Aren't part of these characteristic themselves are part of human nature and have been ingrained into us throughout our evolution. I mean countless people on the planet today suffer because of humanities general selfishness, laziness, greed, etc. as a result some people live ridiculously inflated lives in comparison to others. In a discussion of morality i don't see how that can be ignored but maybe we should look through a more logical lens of where we actually try to address some of these issues.

MavsSuperFan
08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
How much control of behavior do criminals actually have??? if our genetic make up of greatly impacts out behavior than than don't they fit your description here.

Aren't part of these characteristic themselves are part of human nature and have been ingrained into us throughout our evolution. I mean countless people on the planet today suffer because of humanities general selfishness, laziness, greed, etc. as a result some people live ridiculously inflated lives in comparison to others. In a discussion of morality i don't see how that can be ignored but maybe we should look through a more logical lens of where we actually try to address some of these issues.

Stop with this nonsense. No one is born a criminal. you make the choice to become one.

You cant choose your race/gender/sexual preferences/nationality/age/ethnicity/etc.

but you have full control of your actions. No one in America has had to break into a house and burglarize it. go flip burgers instead.

MMM
08-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Stop with this nonsense. No one is born a criminal. you make the choice to become one.

You cant choose your race/gender/sexual preferences/nationality/age/ethnicity/etc.

but you have full control of your actions. No one in America has had to break into a house and burglarize it. go flip burgers instead.

Genetics do control are behavior but i am uncertain of how much choice one has. If people are born straight/Gay than can child molester be born being attracted to children??? That does open up another discussion though and many of the characteristics that you describe of criminals is just basic human nature. Nobody in today's world needs to live an inflated life at the expense of others but we do. Is the moral view that much different here??

LakersDaBEst
08-01-2013, 07:00 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/29/article-2380954-1B0D6394000005DC-333_634x512.jpg

This kid is 14? He looks atleast 18. This isn't attempted murder, this is some criminal violating the law and getting exactly what he deserves.

I think that is his brother.

This case shouldn't be that complicated since the thief committed a crime by hoping over the gate and trying to steal the car at 2 a.m. at someone else property. Considering the time and obscurity at the scene, the motion where the thief seemed to pose a threatening offense to the owner, it was a natural act of self defense to pull the trigger. However, I'm not sure why he shot him in the head, TWICE, but since it's legal to own a weapon at their city, the owner should be not guilty.

Derka
08-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Dude shouldn't go to jail for this. Meanwhile... enjoy that brain damage for the rest of your life, punk. It's a shame the parents who failed this boy don't suffer some themselves.

bagelred
08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Bullshit...

- plus it wasn't a typical Front yard.....It was inside a small Gated Area right next to the door.

- Best believe if I come across someone in my Fenced in Front or Back yard at 2 in the morning.....I'm on high alert....and my strap is gonna be quik

Are you a retard? No seriously...are you? You can't just kill someone because they are "on your property."

bagelred
08-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Are you people insane? Sorry, but believe it or not, there could be dozens of VALID reasons to actually be on someone else's property.

Suppose someone's dog ran away and the dog ran right onto your property. The dog owner is following him and went onto your yard to look for him and retrieve him. By your definition, you have a right to kill him and you think it's justified. "Dis iz Amerika....you comes on my property, you pays da price!......."cocking gun.

I bet there were plenty of times in your life you were illegally on someone's private property. Too bad they didn't shoot you dead.....you trespassing scumbag.

Heavincent
08-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I bet there were plenty of times in your life you were illegally on someone's private property. Too bad they didn't shoot you dead.....you trespassing scumbag.

Can't say I've ever jumped some random stranger's fence at 2 AM. Nor do I have a past history of burglary arrests.

MMM
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Can't say I've ever jumped some random stranger's fence at 2 AM. Nor do I have a past history of burglary arrests.

If you are the gun owner
how can you distinguish someone who has criminal intent vs. someone who doesn't from 30 feet away. In the hypothetical that people have mentioned, would it be justifiable to shoot someone who was attempting to locate their dog.

bagelred
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM

That's not what you said. You said if your trespasing you deserve to die. Yes or no?

And sorry, "burglary" isn't a justifiable reason to kill someone. Suppose a 14 year old kid sees a basketball on your property and says "Hey, look what I found." And you shoot him dead. Justified?

Heavincent
08-01-2013, 09:35 PM
That's not what you said. You said if your trespasing you deserve to die. Yes or no?

And sorry, "burglary" isn't a justifiable reason to kill someone. Suppose a 14 year old kid sees a basketball on your property and says "Hey, look what I found." And you shoot him dead. Justified?

:oldlol:

You're just arguing semantics. A kid wandering on to my property during the day to grab a basketball isn't remotely similar to some suspicious looking dude jumping my fence at 2 AM.

Are people really trying to act like this kid wasn't up to no good?

And about the missing dog theory - I'm sure his family would have mentioned that, or anything that he might been doing at that hour.

MMM
08-01-2013, 09:41 PM

You're just arguing semantics. A kid wandering on to my property during the day to grab a basketball isn't remotely similar to some suspicious looking dude jumping my fence at 2 AM.

Are people really trying to act like this kid wasn't up to no good?

And about the missing dog theory - I'm sure his family would have mentioned that, or anything that he might been doing at that hour.

no, we see that but that is after the fact. However,in the moment is it ok too shoot anyone on your property after a certain time. I think that can be pretty problematic.

dude77
08-01-2013, 09:43 PM

gtfoh .. a man's house is his domain .. DON'T FK WITH IT .. maybe you'll learn when your mother, daughter or yourself gets ass raped .. you dumb, spineless effeminate bitch ..

go somewhere else with your bullshit defense of criminals .. sickening ..

a person should NEVER ever have to feel threatened or unsafe or TERRORIZED in their own fkn domain and especially if you have a family .. do you understand that ? you spineless, estrogen oozing, tampon wearing fggt .. yeah you deserve to die if you fk with that .. you're the piece of shit for defending this low life .. speaks much about you ..

this is bullshit that this guy is being charged with ANYTHING .. being charged for defending his damn house and family ? fkn fggt liberals I tell ya .. texas got it right

Heavincent
08-01-2013, 09:57 PM
no, we see that but that is after the fact. However,in the moment is it ok too shoot anyone on your property after a certain time. I think that can be pretty problematic.

If you feel like you're in danger? Like if someone you've never seen before is on your property acting suspiciously, then I think it's justifiable to shoot them.

bagelred
08-01-2013, 10:02 PM
gtfoh .. a man's house is his domain .. DON'T FK WITH IT .. maybe you'll learn when your mother, daughter or yourself gets ass raped .. you dumb, spineless effeminate bitch ..

go somewhere else with your bullshit defense of criminals .. sickening ..

a person should NEVER ever have to feel threatened or unsafe or TERRORIZED in their own fkn domain and especially if you have a family .. do you understand that ? you spineless, estrogen oozing, tampon wearing fggt .. yeah you deserve to die if you fk with that .. you're the piece of shit for defending this low life .. speaks much about you ..

this is bullshit that this guy is being charged with ANYTHING .. being charged for defending his damn house and family ? fkn fggt liberals I tell ya .. texas got it right

Listen, why don't you come over my house...we'll talk about it......and when you're on my property...do me a favor just grab some stuff i left on the front lawn and bring it inside ok?

actually, just looking for a reason to shoot you dead.....i'll just claim you were stealing my property.

Patrick Chewing
08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm not reading all these replies, but I hope none of you whiny Liberal p*ssies are upset about this if the case is about trespassing onto someone's property.

Ya'll motherf*ckers act as if the only recourse is to let the intruder rob and kill you first.

dude77
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Listen, why don't you come over my house...we'll talk about it......and when you're on my property...do me a favor just grab some stuff i left on the front lawn and bring it inside ok?

actually, just looking for a reason to shoot you dead.....i'll just claim you were stealing my property.

:facepalm

lol and this:

there could be dozens of VALID reasons to actually be on someone else's property

you have NO VALID REASON to be in anyone's backyard at 2 in the morning .. none .. if your dog is in there .. you go knock on the door or call the police to come check it out .. one more time .. your home is your castle .. don't fk with it

bagelred
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM

I found a picture of you:

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Watts-Dantzler-Tornados.jpg

KNOW1EDGE
08-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Someone standing on your lawn at 2am is not a reason to shoot them dead. IMO

It is a reason to yell at them in attempts to scare them off.

It is a reason to call the police.

If they come at you, then you pull the trigger.

For me, I value life, so if someone is on my lawn at 2am im not just gonna shoot them, im gonna ask what they are doing, tell them to leave, call the police, if the person threatens me or comes at me I would consider shooting.

Holy sh1t, Dude77 you are a terrible human being.

bagelred
08-01-2013, 11:04 PM

He's not a bad human being. Just very fearful. Conservatives have larger fear centers in the amgydala in the brain. So it causes them to be fearful of everything.

So he won't have empathy for us, but can have empathy for him.

Don't be so afraid, dude77. The world isn't out to get you....how bout a hug?

daily
08-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Someone standing on your lawn at 2am is not a reason to shoot them dead. IMO

It is a reason to yell at them in attempts to scare them off.

It is a reason to call the police.

If they come at you, then you pull the trigger.

For me, I value life, so if someone is on my lawn at 2am im not just gonna shoot them, im gonna ask what they are doing, tell them to leave, call the police, if the person threatens me or comes at me I would consider shooting.

The sad thing is the man thinks he was protecting his property, watching out for his wife and kids. Who's going to watch out for them while he spends the next 20 years in prison, who's going to be there for them while all the death threats from the lunatic fringe start rolling in. The man has basically ruined his families lives over something he could have avoided by not being so trigger happy.

If the kid is trying to pry your window open or busting your back door down go for it, fire away but when he's standing in your yard 30 feet from the house practice a little self restraint and think off the big picture and the implications of your actions.

It will be interesting to hear what the eyewitness who says the kid was no threat has to say.

red1
08-01-2013, 11:43 PM
He shot too early. If you see someone snooping around your property you don't immediately resort to lethal force unless you truly feel threatened. A lone individual who is 30 feet away and is unarmed while you are armed is not a truly threatening situation. The burglar should spend some time in jail and pay some fines, not catch a headshot.

Then again y'all have a different and inferior gun culture.

bdreason
08-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Don't rob people's homes, and you won't get shot.

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Don't rob people's homes, and you won't get shot.

That's a good suggestion.

But are you also suggesting that this kid was robbing the shooters house?
Proof or DuckTales.

My suggestion to the shooter: If you don't want to ruin your life, and the life of your family, don't shoot people you don't have to.

bdreason
08-02-2013, 12:52 AM

Proof or DuckTales.

My suggestion to the shooter: If you don't want to ruin your life, and the life of your family, don't shoot people you don't have to.

I'm not sure about the specifics in this case, but if someone comes through my window at 2am, I'm not going to ask him if he wants to borrow some sugar.

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure about the specifics in this case, but if someone comes through my window at 2am, I'm not going to ask him if he wants to borrow some sugar.

Neither am I. But what does that have to do with this case? or this thread? :confusedshrug: nothing.

If someone is simply standing on your lawn at 2am are you going to fire 2 shots into his head?

Or are you going to ask what they are doing? Tell this person to leave? Call the police?

Nobody is saying let people break into your house through a window, and then ask them if they want to borrow sugar. :facepalm

We are saying, if someone is standing on your lawn at 2am don't shoot them dead before you try to solve the problem WIHTOUT killing someone.

Its people like you and Dude77 that kill people out of fear, anger and an internal need to be a tough guy, when you could save a life by simply doing the right thing. ie: asking what this person is doing, telling this person to leave, calling the police, and as a LAST RESORT, if this person comes at you/attacks you, then and only then do you use violence and deadly force.

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 01:06 AM

Proof or DuckTales.

You guys act like...in the heat of the moment ( 2am ....at night with your family sleeping)

you are going to think clear.....and know when to pull the trigger and when to wait...

- hell no...most people will feel threatened and Fire quickly...book it.

- You cannot fault the shooter....( from the facts we have)......should he wait?...should he have told the guy to leave?...maybe.

- but in the heat of the moment....what do you expect?.....the guy seemed to have a history of Robbing houses....if you rob someone's house...expect to get merked.

Jameerthefear
08-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Should have killed the bitch
stockton got banned :lol

daily
08-02-2013, 01:13 AM
You guys act like...in the heat of the moment ( 2am ....at night with your family sleeping)

you are going to think clear.....and know when to pull the trigger and when to wait...

Sorry dude but as a gun owner myself I can say if you can't think clear when you pick up a gun you have no business owning a gun, period.

What if it's your own kid who's sneaking back in the house after having been out late or your wife who's up in the middle of the night because she can't sleep.

"I'm sorry honey I wasn't thinking clear" or "It's your own damn fault for sneaking into the house, you should have been in bed"

You AlphaWolf are the very type of person that gives the anti gun lobby all the ammunition they need to keeping fighting for tougher guns laws

Not thinking clear :facepalm

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 01:15 AM

- hell no...most people will feel threatened and Fire quickly...book it.

- You cannot fault the shooter....( from the facts we have)......should he wait?...should he have told the guy to leave?...maybe.

- but in the heat of the moment....what do you expect?.....the guy seemed to have a history of Robbing houses....if you rob someone's house...expect to get merked.

What kind of pu$$y grown man gets shook and cant think clearly because there is a kid on his front lawn at 2am? Why does he feel threatened by that? I would be creeped out if anything.

If he is unable to think clearly then he has more problems than just an itchy trigger finger.

In the "heat of the moment"(I don't get what heat of the moment he was in)I would expect people to value the life of other human beings.

I have had people on my lawn at 2am, I didn't shoot them, or attack them, I wasn't scared, there was no "heat of the moment", i wasn't shook, I asked them what they were doing, and they ran away. :confusedshrug:

By law I assume the shooter was justified, cuz no one should be trespassing on your lawn, and in some states, if someone is on your property you can shoot. So he might be justified. As far as my morals go, I know I would have handled it differently because I care about people and I value human life. I don't like killing people for no reason :cheers:

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Sorry dude but as a gun owner myself I can say if you can't think clear when you pick up a gun you have no business owning a gun, period.

What if it's your own kid who's sneaking back in the house after having been out late or your wife who's up in the middle of the night because she can't sleep.

"I'm sorry honey I wasn't thinking clear" or "It's your own damn fault for sneaking into the house, you should have been in bed"

You AlphaWolf are the very type of person that gives the anti gun lobby all the ammunition they need to keeping fighting for tougher guns laws

x2

daily
08-02-2013, 01:19 AM
By law I assume the shooter was justified, cuz no one should be trespassing on your lawn, and in some states, if someone is on your property you can shoot. So he might be justified. As far as my morals go, I know I would have handled it differently because I care about people and I value human life. I don't like killing people for no reason :cheers:

Been reading on the Laws down in N.O.

The man is praying the kids lives.

The short version is. It's ok to use force to protect your property BUT it's not ok to use deadly force to protect your property. Since the kid is still alive he didn't use deadly force. Legal Semantics but a distinction none the less

red1
08-02-2013, 01:20 AM
You don't shoot someone who is 30 feet away and is not causing you or your family harm, even if they are on your property at 2am and yes, even if there is a gate. You just dont know what is going on and you are not in an immediately threatening situation so what is the need for the overreaction? There is no undo button when you shoot someone in the head. What if it is a drunk teenager? What if it is a confused man with alzheimers? What if it is a 14 year old who is a known burglar but has no record of physically harming another human?

red1
08-02-2013, 01:22 AM
I would acquit this guy because he was within his rights to defend his property but he should never own a gun again. Shit is irresponsible as f*ck

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 01:24 AM
You don't shoot someone who is 30 feet away and is not causing you or your family harm, even if they are on your property at 2am and yes, even if there is a gate. You just dont know what is going on and you are not in an immediately threatening situation so what is the need for the overreaction? There is no undo button when you shoot someone in the head. What if it is a drunk teenager? What if it is a confused man with alzheimers? What if it is a 14 year old who is a known burglar but has no record of physically harming another human?

When I was in my early 20s, I was blacked out drunk and decided to walk home from a friends house. I mistook a strangers house for my own, my key wouldn't work, so I kicked in the door and passed out on the recliner.

Police woke me up with tazers drawn, threw me on the ground(roughed me up a little bit)and I went to jail.

Luckily the home owner was an older woman whos husband had passed away, she was a gun owner, but instead of killing me, she called the police.

I consider myself extremely lucky, and I was obviously very sorry and embarrassed, I paid for a new door and all my charges were dropped.

I could have easily been killed, and it likely would have been justified.

Im glad this lil old lady was more man than most the posters in this thread :cheers:

dude77
08-02-2013, 01:24 AM

yes, I'm a terrible human being because I'm protecting myself and my family while we're inside our own home .. you have things a little twisted

He's not a bad human being. Just very fearful. Conservatives have larger fear centers in the amgydala in the brain. So it causes them to be fearful of everything.

So he won't have empathy for us, but can have empathy for him.

Don't be so afraid, dude77. The world isn't out to get you....how bout a hug?

nice trolling .. yes, if you're at home and some dbag is roaming around the inside part of the gates of your house at 2 in the morning, you'll be fearful .. add to that if you have a pregnant wife and another kid with you, yoiu'll be fearful for them ..

Landry claims otherwise, saying Coulter made a quick movement 'as if to reach for something,' so he shot him out of concern for his own safety

nothing else needs to be said

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 01:25 AM
What kind of pu$$y grown man gets shook and cant think clearly because there is a kid on his front lawn at 2am? Why does he feel threatened by that? I would be creeped out if anything.

If he is unable to think clearly then he has more problems than just an itchy trigger finger.

In the "heat of the moment"(I don't get what heat of the moment he was in)I would expect people to value the life of other human beings.

I have had people on my lawn at 2am, I didn't shoot them, or attack them, I wasn't scared, there was no "heat of the moment", i wasn't shook, I asked them what they were doing, and they ran away. :confusedshrug:

Hold up a sec....

It wasn't "his lawn"( I have lived in homes where the front lawn is right next to the sidewalk )...this was not the case.

In order to get to the yard...you had to scale a 4 - 5' metal fence...
He had a family and young children ( do you have kids ) sleeping right next to the yard

It is more like...someone climbs into your back yard and into one of the rooms that is connected to your house....

are you telling me you are just going to be like " excuse me....what are you doing?...can I help you?"

you aint shook?......bullsh!t.....let me sneek into your backyard at 2am right next to where your kids are sleeping.....and see if you get shook.

all these Online G's.....

red1
08-02-2013, 01:26 AM
dude77 you are a f*cking idiot and I would slap the shit outta you if we ever met. almost serious

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 01:33 AM

What if this...What if that.....( I'm talking about this case!)

- In this case.....The shooter had no teenagers.....he had a toddler and a pregnant wife.( so he knew it was not his teenage son sneaking in the house)

- This case.....1 guy has a 4' metal fence around his small house....

1 guy ( with a history of burglary) climbs over the fence and is obviously right next to the house.......

Home owner ends up shooting the other guy......

- what if he didn't shoot?....what if he had a taser instead?....what if he had a lasso?....a sling shot?......a sword......a cowbell to make loud noises?

- F That!...how about the guy who has a history of burglaries ...stops burglarizing people homes.

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 01:39 AM
When I was in my early 20s, I was blacked out drunk and decided to walk home from a friends house. I mistook a strangers house for my own, my key wouldn't work, so I kicked in the door and passed out on the recliner.

Police woke me up with tazers drawn, threw me on the ground(roughed me up a little bit)and I went to jail.

Luckily the home owner was an older woman whos husband had passed away, she was a gun owner, but instead of killing me, she called the police.

I consider myself extremely lucky, and I was obviously very sorry and embarrassed, I paid for a new door and all my charges were dropped.

I could have easily been killed, and it likely would have been justified.

Im glad this lil old lady was more man than most the posters in this thread :cheers:

:rolleyes:

In this fairy tale......did she know how to load a weapon?

because I bet money she didn't have time to find and load th weapon.....if she did...your azz would be worm food.

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 01:42 AM
dude77 you are a f*cking idiot and I would slap the shit outta you if we ever met. almost serious

http://images.persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/kingofpopcorn1.gif

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 01:52 AM
:rolleyes:

In this fairy tale......did she know how to load a weapon?

because I bet money she didn't have time to find and load th weapon.....if she did...your azz would be worm food.

she had plenty of time. she called the police. I have a copy of the 911 call and the entire police report.

She told the 911 operator there was a gun in the house. I was no threat to her. Why would she come down and just blast me? lol

She values human life. She knows she would deal with the consequences of taking another human beings life for the rest of hers.

She did what any responsible human being would do. And I thank her for that.

dude77
08-02-2013, 02:09 AM
this guy could have yelled at the kid and the kid probably would've ran off .. BUT .. he ended up shooting him .. there had to be a reason .. I doubt he shot him just because he saw him idlely standing there ..

he said the guy did something to threaten him .. did this while he's inside the guy's gate at 2 in the morning .. nothing to see here .. release him and let the guy go back to his family

all of you sympathizing with this little dipshit are sickening .. DON'T MESS WITH PEOPLES' HOMES .. stay the fk away and you won't have a problem .. not hard to understand ..

knowledge's example is a one in a million occurrence .. and quite frankly he's lucky he's not dead now and it would've been completely his fault .. someone breaking down my door in the middle of the night ? :oldlol: death wish

dude77
08-02-2013, 02:12 AM

lol@a drunk kicking down a stranger's door in the middle of the night talking about the responsible thing to do ..

you're lucky there wasn't someone armed near the door instead of an old lady upstairs .. you'd be dead and justifiably so

bdreason
08-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Just for the record, after reading the report, I have no problem with the guy being arrest for attempted murder. The threat wasn't worthy of the response.

That said, I find it difficult to feel sympathy for people who get shot while committing crimes. In this particular case I feel for the family, but too many times (especially in California) have I seen people unjustly prosecuted for defending their property/family.

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 02:19 AM
lol@this drunk kicking down a stranger's door in the middle of the night talking about the responsible thing to do .. do you smoke crack ?

you're lucky it wasn't someone else armed who was near the door instead of an old lady .. you'd be dead and justifiably so

oh, did I say what I did was responsible?

or did I say it was stupid and I was embarrassed, felt bad, and considered my self very lucky?

Luckily she did the right thing, and let the police handle it since I wasn't any threat to her. I wouldn't really blame her if she shot me. I was in the wrong. I am grateful she didn't, she obviously didn't want to kill someone unless she absolutely felt it was necessary. A lot of you are begging for the chance to kill someone and claim self defense. its sad. You act tough now. But kill someone who you didn't have to, live with that for a few years, and then come back and tell me you don't regret it.

Some people actually value life.

chazzy
08-02-2013, 03:13 AM
So trespassing deserves the death penalty huh? Good thing some of you aren't law makers

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
she had plenty of time. she called the police. I have a copy of the 911 call and the entire police report.

She told the 911 operator there was a gun in the house. I was no threat to her. Why would she come down and just blast me? lol

She values human life. She knows she would deal with the consequences of taking another human beings life for the rest of hers.

a) If your fairy tale is true :rolleyes:

You still did not answer if she knew how to get the weapon and load it so its ready to fire....

b) she is an old woman , you don't know if she "valued life more" or she's just an old blue hair who can't fire a weapon and just had to call 911

c) most woman due have a different outlook on " taking someones life".....so do most men....

but make no mistake about it.....if it was in a slightly different scenario.....and someone was there at the door telling you they had a gun ( when you were trying to kick the door) ...

and you kept kicking the door open.....they would have sent you to visit St. Peter...

no person should have to put up with a stranger kicking in the door.....all because you can't handle yo achohol....

AlphaWolf24
08-02-2013, 12:20 PM
So trespassing deserves the death penalty huh? Good thing some of you aren't law makers

- so you can't defend your property/protect your family from people trying to break in?

again...you cannot fault the homeowner for dfending his family/property....

should he have fired his weapon?....maybe ...maybe not....

- but the cold hard facts......Dont be trying to gaffle sh!t on someones eles house....you may get merked.

qrich
08-02-2013, 12:28 PM

When you intentionally break the law by going onto someone elses property, you do not know what that person may or may not have, and are putting yourself in danger.

Does it deserve death? No, but you can not blame someone who sees a trespasser, panics, and pulls the trigger.

chazzy
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
- so you can't defend your property/protect your family from people trying to break in?

again...you cannot fault the homeowner for dfending his family/property....

should he have fired his weapon?....maybe ...maybe not....

- but the cold hard facts......Dont be trying to gaffle sh!t on someones eles house....you may get merked.
My post is in response to those implying he "deserved to get shot." As far as the law goes, it depends on the state. Some require proof of violent intent along with trespassing, or require you to retreat first. I'm not sure what the specific law is in Lousiana. And is there a difference in the application of these laws if someone is in your gated driveway and someone is in your actual home?

dude77
08-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I can and do, that's insane.

nope .. get it through your head .. home is sacred .. don't fk with it .. if you get shot, it's on you .. I'll say it again .. your home is the one place where you should ALWAYS feel safe and secure .. anybody who makes the decision to terrorize someone's home is putting their life on the line .. it's totally on them .. this guy needs to be freed and left alone asap

rhythmic
08-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Doing his job...

qrich
08-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I can and do, that's insane.

Then I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

tpols
08-02-2013, 01:06 PM
So he saw this kid in his driveway.. Kid obviously didn't see him back. He had a free shot at him, and he cocked it at his head. Not even torso straight head shot. :facepalm

You can't react with force that deadly.. Uneccessary

ace23
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM
nope .. get it through your head .. home is sacred .. don't fk with it .. if you get shot, it's on you .. I'll say it again .. your home is the one place where you should ALWAYS feel safe and secure .. anybody who makes the decision to terrorize someone's home is putting their life on the line .. it's totally on them .. this guy needs to be freed and left alone asap
Homicide is not justifiable in the act of trespassing under LA law. That's it.

dude77
08-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Homicide is not justifiable in the act of trespassing under LA law. That's it.

homicide is always justifiable in the act of trespassing .. don't fk with a man's castle .. it's sacred .. even more so if he has a family .. 'that's not it' .. Louisiana has stand your ground ..

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/04/us/table.selfdefense.laws/

http://thomasvalonzo.com/blog/2013/06/louisiana-stand-your-ground-and-self-defense-laws/

"Hazouri says his security cameras allegedly show the 14-year-old scaling his neighbor's fence and eight minutes later the police cars pull up."

"All I know is that Merritt had told his family that he had said: 'Freeze!' and it looked like the guy turned at him and had his hand on his hip.

not only did he break into a man's domain late at night while the man is with his family .. he then makes a threatening move when told to freeze ..

set this man free so he can return to his family already

the fact that certain people here are actually trying to defend the perp and attacking the homeowner defending his family is quite telling .. I wonder what the rap sheet on some of you looks like

ace23
08-02-2013, 03:30 PM

He wasn't in the course or robbing or burglarizing, so no, shooting him was not justified.

dude77
08-02-2013, 03:54 PM

He wasn't in the course or robbing or burglarizing, so no, shooting him was not justified.

wtf ? he jumped over a 6' wrought iron spiked fence of a stranger's house at 2 am .. wtf do you think he was doing, looking for easter eggs ? .. he crossed the line just by that act alone ..

I provided you with the law in wriiting .. you don't wanna read it .. that's your problem .. this was 100% unequivocally justified ..

perp jumps a high fence(bypasses a clear deterrent telling him he cannot go in there) .. homeowner steps out and tells him to freeze .. perp doesn't freeze and makes a threatening move .. nothing to see here .. this won't even go to trial .. bet on it

ace23
08-02-2013, 03:59 PM
wtf ? he jumped over a 6' wrought iron spiked fence of a stranger's house at 2 am .. wtf do you think he was doing, looking for easter eggs ? .. he crossed the line just by that act alone ..

I provided you with the law in wriiting .. you don't wanna read it .. that's your problem .. this was 100% unequivocally justified ..

perp jumps a high fence(bypasses a clear deterrent telling him he cannot go in there) .. homeowner steps out and tells him to freeze .. perp doesn't freeze and makes a threatening move .. nothing to see here .. this won't even go to trial .. bet on it
It may not go to trial. Just saying you can't shoot someone for trespassing alone. I don't know all the details.

I've learned better than to argue with your type, though. Peace.

PistonsFan#21
08-02-2013, 10:11 PM
homicide is always justifiable in the act of trespassing .. don't fk with a man's castle .. it's sacred .. even more so if he has a family .. 'that's not it' .. Louisiana has stand your ground ..

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/04/us/table.selfdefense.laws/

http://thomasvalonzo.com/blog/2013/06/louisiana-stand-your-ground-and-self-defense-laws/

not only did he break into a man's domain late at night while the man is with his family .. he then makes a threatening move when told to freeze ..

set this man free so he can return to his family already

the fact that certain people here are actually trying to defend the perp and attacking the homeowner defending his family is quite telling .. I wonder what the rap sheet on some of you looks like

what threatening move exactly? they clearly said the kid was unarmed so lets not act as if he was reaching for a weapon. You do alot of dumb things at 14 because you`re still a kid. Im not excusing his actions but i dont think he deserves to die over this.

KNOW1EDGE
08-02-2013, 10:17 PM
what threatening move exactly? they clearly said the kid was unarmed so lets not act as if he was reaching for a weapon. You do alot of dumb things at 14 because you`re still a kid. Im not excusing his actions but i dont think he deserves to die over this.

He deserves to die.

He was on someones lawn at 2am.

THAT IS A DUDES HOUSE! HIS SANCTUARY!

This man had kids and a wife.

Your telling me if a guy is on your lawn at 2am you are going to ask him whats going on? tell him to leave? call the police?

No, you are going to shoot him twice in the head!!

dude77
08-02-2013, 11:07 PM

enough with the semantics .. being dumb and stupid doesn't excuse you from this kind of behavior .. he jumped over someone's high fence at 2 in the morning .. as a homeowner, I'm gonna assume you have bad intentions .. he CROSSED THE LINE once he decided to do this .. it's not my job to figure out if you're there for milk and cookies .. it's not about what he 'deserved' .. it's about protecting the house .. the end .. you don't wanna get shot, don't fk with someone's house .. simple

daily
08-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Listening on the radio home tonight they were talking about this. Wound was on the right backside of his head. SPECULATION by the location of the wound is and the blood evidence is he was trying to climb out of the yard when he was shot. That's why the policeman interviewed said the kid was not a threat.

Dictator
08-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Dude77 :facepalm: Do you even think before you post?

qrich
08-03-2013, 01:39 PM

No way for the shooter to know that though.

He deserves to die.

He was on someones lawn at 2am.

THAT IS A DUDES HOUSE! HIS SANCTUARY!

This man had kids and a wife.

Your telling me if a guy is on your lawn at 2am you are going to ask him whats going on? tell him to leave? call the police?

No, you are going to shoot him twice in the head!!

I'm going to invite him in for a game of poker.

And if I start losing, then I shall shoot him.

9erempiree
08-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm going to invite him in for a game of poker.

And if I start losing, then I shall shoot him.

That's why you are part of that population that should not own a gun. You don't know the difference between a threat or not.

I know you are joking but if you think like this, it's better you just let the gun owners handle things.

PistonsFan#21
08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
No way for the shooter to know that though.

Well he atleast knew that the kid was trying to run away and not confront him and he still shot him in the back of the head twice. His lame attempt at an excuse saying the kid did a threatening gesture wont work.

KNOW1EDGE
08-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Well he atleast knew that the kid was trying to run away and not confront him and he still shot him in the back of the head twice. His lame attempt at an excuse saying the kid did a threatening gesture wont work.

He just didn't want the kid to get away.

He wanted to make the kid pay, he didn't feel threatened at all. He was simply angry that some kid was on his property, and when the kid tried to get away, he shot him.

qrich
08-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Really? Where is this running away?

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

Landry believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said."

----

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his car which, according to Landry's friends, was parked a few feet away from his back door. As Coulter grew closer, Landry said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, according to an NOPD arrest warrant.

Landry, who has a pregnant wife and baby daughter, believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said on Friday."

----

"A single spent bullet casing was found outside Landry's house, police said -- approximately 30 feet away from where Coulter's blood was found."

Where's all this running away stuff? Not in anything on local news sites.

But hey, I can make up shit to but by twisting facts.

Landry's neighbor caught on camera two teenagers biking in the area, once late in the evening, and once again after midnight so its clear that they were casing Landry's house and were getting ready to rob the shit out of him and not playing hide and seek with homeowners . :rolleyes:

qrich
08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
That's why you are part of that population that should not own a gun. You don't know the difference between a threat or not.

I know you are joking but if you think like this, it's better you just let the gun owners handle things.

Of course I'm joking.

I'd use a guillotine instead.

KNOW1EDGE
08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
The police said he was shot in the back of the head. ie he was exiting.

The police also said the kid posed no threat to the man. Leading me to believe he was indeed trying to get away.

It doesn't really matter, the kid shouldn't have been there. He was up to no good.

I wouldn't have shot him for it, but it is what it is. He will go to court now and our flawed judicial system will judge him. :cheers:

qrich
08-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Its one thing to assume he was running away, its another to state that Landry knew he was trying to run away. Kid could have turned right when he saw Landry pull out his weapon after trying to intimidate Landry as if he had his own because he shit himself for getting busted trespassing and was already awaiting trial for robbery already.

He will go to court now and our flawed judicial system will judge him.

As flawed as it is, it works as it should in most situations ala Anthony, Zimmerman, Drew Peterson, Jodi Arias, etc. Fails with Christopher McCowen, Scott Peterson & Jude Cordell (so far at least)

32jazz
08-03-2013, 04:52 PM
But by the same token, gun use in these cases has been rendered impotent (or at least soggy) by the laws in place. 1) Needing permits/licenses to legally carry guns means less people will own them. 2) Different states with different laws, means people are confused about when it's okay to shoot someone on your property, or at what point is it self-defense. If the law was clear... you're allowed to shoot anyone who breaks into your property.. people would be quicker to pull the trigger.

BS:rolleyes:

Guns are rendered useless because 90 plus % of burglars of cars & homes go undetected. That's the whole objective of stealing to go undetected, Joe.

Most car thief & burglars aren't violent at all & wish to avoid confrontation at all costs, but occasionally get caught. They just want your(my) stuff.

In the New Orleans/Baton rouge metro since the last shooting of this type in 2002(Sean Minor) there have been probably tens of millions of property theft, home burglaries, car theft & car break-ins( my car has been broken in 3 times & 2 I never reported).

Out of the millions of thefts here in New Orleans only 2 shootings in the past 12 years & we are awash with guns.

Convicted burglars /car thiefs have been polled & loud barking DOGS who draw attention are their biggest fear when commiting a crime not weapons. In fact there is a FAR, FAR greater chance of that gun being stolen(happened to many people I know)than used to thwart a crime.

2 Burglars & car thiefs shot in 12 years out of millions of crimes is very un impressive. Truck Drivers, Fisherman,etc..... have more deadly jobs than car/property thiefs.

RapsFan
08-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I just don't know why there is a mentality that if someone if breaking into your house, most likely for petty theft, you gun them down without conscious. Why not call the police, leave your house and let the kid get caught trying to hock your flat screen.

9erempiree
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I just don't know why there is a mentality that if someone if breaking into your house, most likely for petty theft, you gun them down without conscious. Why not call the police, leave your house and let the kid get caught trying to hock your flat screen.

You're just basically telling criminals to become thieves. "Hey look, you can come in here and take anything you want. Just to let you know the cops are on their way, so make it quick."

If criminals knew of this, they would gamble on the chance that they steal your stuff and get away from the cops.

By letting home owners defend themselves, a criminal would probably have 2nd thoughts about breaking in.

Sometimes gunning down a criminal helps society set an example and deter any criminal behavior.

daily
08-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Really? Where is this running away?

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

Landry believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said."

----

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his car which, according to Landry's friends, was parked a few feet away from his back door. As Coulter grew closer, Landry said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, according to an NOPD arrest warrant.

Landry, who has a pregnant wife and baby daughter, believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said on Friday."

----

"A single spent bullet casing was found outside Landry's house, police said -- approximately 30 feet away from where Coulter's blood was found."

Where's all this running away stuff? Not in anything on local news sites.

But hey, I can make up shit to but by twisting facts.

Landry's neighbor caught on camera two teenagers biking in the area, once late in the evening, and once again after midnight so its clear that they were casing Landry's house and were getting ready to rob the shit out of him and not playing hide and seek with homeowners . :rolleyes:

There's another neighbor that witnessed the whole thing that said the kid was no threat. The police are keeping them under wraps for right now.

Investigator also said looking at the evidence the kid was not a threat. I think that gun shot shot wound to the back of the head and obviously where they found the kid is telling a different story than what Landry is telling.

We'll find out more as this goes along and the picture will become clearer. The Police are playing their cards real close to the chest not revealing too much so far.

dude77
08-03-2013, 09:08 PM

qrich
08-03-2013, 09:45 PM
There's another neighbor that witnessed the whole thing that said the kid was no threat. The police are keeping them under wraps for right now.

Investigator also said looking at the evidence the kid was not a threat. I think that gun shot shot wound to the back of the head and obviously where they found the kid is telling a different story than what Landry is telling.

We'll find out more as this goes along and the picture will become clearer. The Police are playing their cards real close to the chest not revealing too much so far.

I know there is, but we have nothing at all as to why the police have implied that witnesses statements to state that the kid was no threat, so I'm just going based off what is actually known and not what is claimed with nothing behind it, at the moment.

Good strategy though by the po-po to keep it close until Discovery is required.

daily
08-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I know there is, but we have nothing at all as to why the police have implied that witnesses statements to state that the kid was no threat, so I'm just going based off what is actually known and not what is claimed with nothing behind it, at the moment.

Good strategy though by the po-po to keep it close until Discovery is required.

I think in light of the Zimmerman trial they're trying to keep this on a lower level.

Besides the kid being out at 2am other things that bother me are the two neighbors that said they saw the kid in the neighborhood. One didn't want to "profile" and the other seemed more intent on shooting video than actually stopping a crime. Two people that could have called the police and tried to save somebody in the neighborhood grief by being watchful but didn't want to actually take the steps to be truly watchful. More just being nosy than than actually watching out for your neighbors.

MavsSuperFan
08-04-2013, 03:21 AM

Because 90% of the time they don't get caught. Speaking from personal experience the cops never caught the person/people who broke into my car. I to this day have no idea who did it. Cops don't really care, the want cases that will result in easy convictions, eg. Drug cases. They don't want to expend the effort to catch real criminals

There are a few wild assumptions on your part, first that you can get out of your house and second that they won't turn violent. Many home invasions turn violent after the burglar finds the home occupied.

Finally all of this sympathy for people who are too selfish to work an honest job and instead choose to pillage from hard working decent people. Quite frankly if you kill a thief you are doing society a favor. You should not judge someone for something they can't control, eg. Race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, disabilities, etc.
it is totally fine IMO to judge thieves as sub-human as they have made the choice to be lazy, greedy, and most of all selfish. Getting through life without stealing is not hard. I am of average intelligence, and below average athleticism, I have managed to go through my whole life without stealing (26 right now)

You go to school and pick out a realistic career path eg. Not an art history major. Then you get a job, for me it was accounting.

KNOW1EDGE
08-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Because 90% of the time they don't get caught. Speaking from personal experience the cops never caught the person/people who broke into my car. I to this day have no idea who did it. Cops don't really care, the want cases that will result in easy convictions, eg. Drug cases. They don't want to expend the effort to catch real criminals

There are a few wild assumptions on your part, first that you can get out of your house and second that they won't turn violent. Many home invasions turn violent after the burglar finds the home occupied..

A friend of mines house was broken into at gun point, the guys came in, shot and killed his roommate, and ran out the door, didn't even end up stealing anything.

The cops were more concerned with the fact that my friend was selling pot. Gave him tickets, took his money, took his weed. Never even really looked into finding the people who broke in and murdered his roommate.

The killer(s) were never found. My friend is still on probation nearly 2 years later.

He had a gun, he would have been better off shooting and killing his attackers, hiding his weed and then calling the cops.

So, I don't blame people for shooting people who break into their house at gun point. But a kid standing on your lawn un-armed is a dif story.

dkmwise
08-04-2013, 04:45 AM
A friend of mines house was broken into at gun point, the guys came in, shot and killed his roommate, and ran out the door, didn't even end up stealing anything.

The cops were more concerned with the fact that my friend was selling pot. Gave him tickets, took his money, took his weed. Never even really looked into finding the people who broke in and murdered his roommate.

The killer(s) were never found. My friend is still on probation nearly 2 years later.

He had a gun, he would have been better off shooting and killing his attackers, hiding his weed and then calling the cops.

So, I don't blame people for shooting people who break into their house at gun point. But a kid standing on your lawn un-armed is a dif story.

First off that's complete BS your friend got in trouble for that.

But with the kid standing on the lawn thing, I completely agree that he should not be shot in that situation and I think anyone who is sitting at home on their computer reading the story in a vacuum would say the same thing. However I can't judge the homowner too much. If he was a single guy home alone thats one thing, but when you have a little kid in the house and a pregnant wife you are extremely vulnerable and need to be concerned with protecting them above all else. Most people when read these stories think anyone with a gun is Jason Bourne when that is extremely far from reality. Anyone who shoots knows that even in perfect stress free conditions hitting your target is tough with a handgun. Think about being in that stressful situation, are you supposed to wait until someone in your driveway does pull a gun and come into your house, at that point when you decide to shoot him and he shoot back at you bullets could be flying all over the place and they can travel through walls pretty easily, your wife could catch a bullet while she's locked in the bedroom. And people saying call the police obviously have no idea about emergency services. Calling the police is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but even with a good response time you'll be waiting 10-15 minutes until someone gets there, in rural areas could be 30-45 minutes.

dude77
08-04-2013, 08:38 AM
in a perfect world you can say this little shithead shouldn't have been shot .. he's not a murderer .. he's not violent(from what we know anyways) ..

but that's irrelevant here .. when you cross the line and violate someone's home like that, it's all on you .. all of it .. there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER for anyone to be in someone's yard at 2 in the morning .. none .. if you are, it has to be assumed you're up to no good and have bad intentions .. you're basically being terrorized .. stranger in your yard in the middle of the night ? .. you have NO CLUE what this guy is there for .. you have no clue if he has accomplices with him hiding somewhere .. and you have a wife and kids with you in your house ..

this guy didn't run out onto the street and shoot someone for fun .. someone breached his domain .. your house is your haven .. where you go to relax and retreat and feel safe .. you should NEVER be forced into such a situation as this, yet this happens all the damn time and people wanna sympathize with the pos who decided it was ok to go menace someone like this while they're at home .. shit boils my blood ..

the fact that this case is where it is, is bs .. this guy is being charged with 2nd degree murder for defending his own house and family .. he was also suspended from his job with NO PAY .. so now he's being denied earning a living because someone was trying to rob him .. this is fkn bizarro world

bagelred
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
in a perfect world you can say this little shithead shouldn't have been shot .. he's not a murderer .. he's not violent(from what we know anyways) ..

but that's irrelevant here .. when you cross the line and violate someone's home like that, it's all on you .. all of it .. there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER for anyone to be in someone's yard at 2 in the morning .. none .. if you are, it has to be assumed you're up to no good and have bad intentions .. you're basically being terrorized .. stranger in your yard in the middle of the night ? .. you have NO CLUE what this guy is there for .. you have no clue if he has accomplices with him hiding somewhere .. and you have a wife and kids with you in your house ..

this guy didn't run out onto the street and shoot someone for fun .. someone breached his domain .. your house is your haven .. where you go to relax and retreat and feel safe .. you should NEVER be forced into such a situation as this, yet this happens all the damn time and people wanna sympathize with the pos who decided it was ok to go menace someone like this while they're at home .. shit boils my blood ..

the fact that this case is where it is, is bs .. this guy is being charged with 2nd degree murder for defending his own house and family .. he was also suspended from his job with NO PAY .. so now he's being denied earning a living because someone was trying to rob him .. this is fkn bizarro world

You have issues.

It's weird to me that you think owning property and a residence basically means the laws of society don't apply. Someone on your property doesn't mean "all bets are off." There are dozens and dozens of reasons someone could be on your property at 2 AM that don't necessarily have evil or illegal intentions. Yes, trespassing is "illegal". Jaywalking is illegal too, but cops don't open fire on jaywalkers. But you probably think they should, I bet. "Those f-cking Jaywalkers!!! They KNEW it was illegal. They deserve everything they get!!!" lol

At the same time, burglary does not give you instant right to shoot someone dead. We value life more than property. Punishment still has to fit the crime.

Also, don't you see how dangerous it is to be able to kill someone. Do you realize how extreme an action that is? Think how many people can easily get away with murder then.

You need to question yourself, your values, and your issues. You seem like an extremely fearful person. You can help for that. But the fear center in your brain is a lot larger than the average person. Don't be scared. Not everyone is out to kill you.

But the rules of society and laws still apply even if someone is on your property illegally. Can't just kill people at random. Can you not understand that? You can kill someone if you want to but you'll be the one going to jail.

Conservatives. You have funny brains. :cheers:

dude77
08-04-2013, 01:25 PM
It's weird to me that you think owning property and a residence basically means the laws of society don't apply. depends where you live .. luckily in his state he's in the right if it went down the way he says it did .. read up the laws

Someone on your property doesn't mean "all bets are off." if I have a family in the house and the perp doesn't IMMEDIATELY cooperate with my commands .. yes all bets are off

There are dozens and dozens of reasons someone could be on your property at 2 AM no .. there are not 'dozens of reasons' to be in someone's backyard at 2 in the morning ..however I can think of 'dozens of reasons' why someone would not be in someone's backyard at 2 in the morning .. utterly stupid comment .. you have no business being in someone's backyard at 2 in the morning

At the same time, burglary does not give you instant right to shoot someone dead. We value life more than property. Punishment still has to fit the crime. :facepalm .. it's about protecting your property and family .. you DON'T KNOW if that person is a fkn burglar .. you don't know their intentions .. and if they're in your yard at 2 in the morning, you have to assume they're up to no good

Also, don't you see how dangerous it is to be able to kill someone. Do you realize how extreme an action that is? Think how many people can easily get away with murder then. simple solution .. the perp doesn't jump the fence and the homeowner never uses his gun .. stop blaming the homeowner for defending himself .. I have yet to see you say anything critical about the pos who he shot .. you rather side with the criminal in this case than the working family man protecting his house .. I think you're the one with the issues

You need to question yourself, your values, and your issues. You seem like an extremely fearful person. You can help for that. But the fear center in your brain is a lot larger than the average person. Don't be scared. Not everyone is out to kill you. fear is normal .. also it depends on your experiences so it's not accurate for you to call someone out for being 'too fearful' without knowing their experiences .. also, being vigilant and protecting yourself are also normal

But the rules of society and laws still apply even if someone is on your property illegally. again, depends where you live .. in texas, they would've laughed at the prosecutor trying to charge this guy and rightfully so

Blue&Orange
08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Landry claims otherwise, saying Coulter made a quick movement 'as if to reach for something,' so he shot him out of concern for his own safety, according to an arrest warrant.

:lol

RapsFan
08-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I think it speaks to how violent the US is in general perhaps then? I'm Canadian so I don't pretend to be an expert. If someone was on my lawn at 2am, I'd probably turn on the outside lights, make sure my doors are locked. If they still were lingering, maybe I'd call the police. Why not try yelling 'Get off my property or i will shoot you in the head!' Again just strange that there are actually people who think the logical solution is to pick up a gun and shoot the person.

ballup
08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
So let's set the death penalty as the punishment for all domestic burglary crimes.

bagelred
08-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Poor Merritt Landry he thought he could get away with murder like Zimmy did.

The 2 are absolutely nothing alike. By all accounts, Landry was not in any imminent danger. The kid was 30 feet away and unarmed, and supposedly attempting to climb back over the fence.

Zimmerman was having his head bashed in and his nose broken. Obvious imminent threat right on top of him.....

bagelred
08-04-2013, 04:46 PM
I think it speaks to how violent the US is in general perhaps then? I'm Canadian so I don't pretend to be an expert. If someone was on my lawn at 2am, I'd probably turn on the outside lights, make sure my doors are locked. If they still were lingering, maybe I'd call the police. Why not try yelling 'Get off my property or i will shoot you in the head!' Again just strange that there are actually people who think the logical solution is to pick up a gun and shoot the person.

Not all Americans, but yeah, that half our country are these fearful, religious, ultraconservatives who think a gun in the hand is a solution to most problems. They have little empathy for others. Fearful people.

dkmwise
08-05-2013, 01:04 AM
You have issues.

It's weird to me that you think owning property and a residence basically means the laws of society don't apply. Someone on your property doesn't mean "all bets are off." There are dozens and dozens of reasons someone could be on your property at 2 AM that don't necessarily have evil or illegal intentions. Yes, trespassing is "illegal". Jaywalking is illegal too, but cops don't open fire on jaywalkers. But you probably think they should, I bet. "Those f-cking Jaywalkers!!! They KNEW it was illegal. They deserve everything they get!!!" lol

Conservatives. You have funny brains. :cheers:

You make a completely reasonable point. However I'm curious if you have children? Not trying to be condescending or anything, just really wondering because I think it plays so much into opions on this type of stuff. Rationally thinking what you says makes complete sense, however like the guy in the story I have a young child and a pregnant wife and can completely see where his rational may have been coming from. Really don't know if would have made same decision or not, none of us really knwo that unless in the situation, but there couldn't be anything in the world more different than a single guy thinking about protecting his home and someone with children that they are responsible for.

RapsFan
08-05-2013, 08:53 AM
You make a completely reasonable point. However I'm curious if you have children? Not trying to be condescending or anything, just really wondering because I think it plays so much into opions on this type of stuff. Rationally thinking what you says makes complete sense, however like the guy in the story I have a young child and a pregnant wife and can completely see where his rational may have been coming from. Really don't know if would have made same decision or not, none of us really knwo that unless in the situation, but there couldn't be anything in the world more different than a single guy thinking about protecting his home and someone with children that they are responsible for.

I have 3 little kids, and live in a nice home. I want to protect them and what i have earned at all costs. However, I still don't know how the solution to someone being in my back yard is to shoot them to death. Just re reading that sentence makes me shake my head that its even a discussion.

tontoz
08-05-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't think it is legal to shoot a guy who is running away, even if he already robbed you. If he shot this kid in the back he may be in trouble.

Mr Know It All
08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
How is this even an issue? Some scumbag thief was on the guy's property, he took the necessary action to remove that threat. One less thug on the streets, probably would have grown up to be even worse.

Bag him and tag him. Good riddance.

tontoz
08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
How is this even an issue? Some scumbag thief was on the guy's property, he took the necessary action to remove that threat. One less thug on the streets, probably would have grown up to be even worse.

Bag him and tag him. Good riddance.

I see you are obviously a legal scholar. Thanks for the input.

AlphaWolf24
08-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't think it is legal to shoot a guy who is running away, even if he already robbed you. If he shot this kid in the back he may be in trouble.

- No one is saying...." shooting people for any reason is legal"...

- IMO...of course Killing people shouldn't be "legal"....who wants to kill someone????......especially a 14 year old kid???

- but at what point is Killing someone justifiable?....at what point to we place blame on the Killer?....and or the person that was killed.

- The minute the person climbed over the fence and entered the other persons property....is the minute a killing leans towards bieng more justifiable.

- should the home owner have waited before shooting?....yes......should the other guy not have entered the property?...absoluteley...

- should the tresspasser get shot shot in the head for tresspassing?.....no.....should we place full blame on a father who is trying to protect his family?......no

- should the young mans parents talked to him about entering people's yards?...yes......about entering peoples yards at 2am?....absolutley. ( and if the prior Burglaries are true)...should his parents have talked to him about breaking into peoples homes?.....( as he may get killed)....yes.

tontoz
08-05-2013, 12:42 PM
- No one is saying...." shooting people for any reason is legal"...

- IMO...of course Killing people shouldn't be "legal"....who wants to kill someone????......especially a 14 year old kid???

- but at what point is Killing someone justifiable?....at what point to we place blame on the Killer?....and or the person that was killed.

- The minute the person climbed over the fence and entered the other persons property....is the minute a killing leans towards bieng more justifiable.

- should the home owner have waited before shooting?....yes......should the other guy not have entered the property?...absoluteley...

- should the tresspasser get shot shot in the head for tresspassing?.....no.....should we place full blame on a father who is trying to protect his family?......no

- should the young mans parents talked to him about entering people's yards?...yes......about entering peoples yards at 2am?....absolutley. ( and if the prior Burglaries are true)...should his parents have talked to him about breaking into peoples homes?.....( as he may get killed)....yes.

If someone has their back turned towards you and is moving away he is not an imminent threat. I have seen cases where people/businesses were robbed, shot the fleeing suspect, and got charged and convicted for it.

AlphaWolf24
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
If someone has their back turned towards you and is moving away he is not an imminent threat. I have seen cases where people/businesses were robbed, shot the fleeing suspect, and got charged and convicted for it.

True....

and I have seen many cases where someone was tresspassing and then they were shot in the back trying to run away....

and the shooter was found not guilty....in fact the shooter was looked upon as a hero.

tontoz
08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
True....

and I have seen many cases where someone was tresspassing and then they were shot in the back trying to run away....

and the shooter was found not guilty....in fact the shooter was looked upon as a hero.

A guy was looked upon as a hero because he killed a tresspasser? Where did you find these cases, www.mybunghole.com?

AlphaWolf24
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
A guy was looked upon as a hero because he killed a tresspasser? Where did you find these cases, www.mybunghole.com?

seriously?
http://www.cafepress.com/+joe_horn_american_hero_mug,201563870
http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/201563870/joe_horn_american_hero_mug.jpg

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/201563817/joe_horn_american_hero_long_sleeve_dark_tshirt.jpg

break into someones home.....expect to get merked....

deal wit it.

tontoz
08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
seriously?
http://www.cafepress.com/+joe_horn_american_hero_mug,201563870
http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/201563870/joe_horn_american_hero_mug.jpg

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/201563817/joe_horn_american_hero_long_sleeve_dark_tshirt.jpg

break into someones home.....expect to get merked....

deal wit it.

First off all this wasn't a case of walking around in someone's yard. That was a case of an actual burglary. And the shooter knew Texas law verbatim.

Not exactly a parallel to shooting someone on your yard.

AlphaWolf24
08-05-2013, 02:05 PM
First off all this wasn't a case of walking around in someone's yard. That was a case of an actual burglary. And the shooter knew Texas law verbatim.

Not exactly a parallel to shooting someone on your yard.

yes it was....Joe Horns house wasn't even the house bieng robbed....

in the LA shooting ....it was the home owners house that the guy was trespassing on ( and he had to scale a iron gate.)

there was also an eye witness that stated that Horn shot both men in the back....

and they were not even in his yard or robbing his house...it was the house next to him!....

Joe Horn: “I’ve got a shotgun; do you want me to stop them?”

The Pasadena emergency operator responded: “Nope. Don’t do that. Ain’t no property worth shooting somebody over, O.K.?”

Mr. Horn said: “But hurry up, man. Catch these guys will you? Cause, I ain’t going to let them go.”

Mr. Horn then said he would get his shotgun.

The operator said, “No, no.” But Mr. Horn said: “I can’t take a chance of getting killed over this, O.K.? I’m going to shoot.”

The operator told him not to go out with a gun because officers would be arriving.

“O.K.,” Mr. Horn said. “But I have a right to protect myself too, sir,” adding, “The laws have been changed in this country since September the first, and you know it.”

The operator said, “You’re going to get yourself shot.” But Mr. Horn replied, “You want to make a bet? I’m going to kill them.”

Moments later he said, “Well here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I’m going.”

Then he said: “Move, you’re dead.”

There were two quick gunshots, then a third.

“I had no choice,” Mr. Horn said when he got back on the line with the dispatcher. “They came in the front yard with me, man.”
( actually they ran away)
The 9-1-1 call ended about 80 seconds after the shots were fired, when officers arrived on the scene. [1

The Joe Horn shooting was far worse iMO...it was during the day....the 2 men were not even at his house.....and he could see clearly that they were running away from him.

dude77
08-05-2013, 02:34 PM
ah good 'ol Joe Horn .. I remember that case .. he said 'they came on the front yard with me' .. so I'm not sure he shot them in the back ? .. either way .. you think these menaces to society will ever rob and terrorize someone else's home again ? .. Joe Horn :cheers: .. Texas got it right

tontoz
08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
If they were robbing a neighbors house then how did they get into Horn's yard, after he pulled a gun on them? By osmosis?

And he used a shotgun so they couldn't even tell whether they were shot in the back on not.