PDA

View Full Version : Why Carmelo Anthony is not the best scorer in the game.

K Xerxes
07-31-2013, 03:08 PM
I've noticed a recent spurt of incredibly pro-Melo threads and comments. I wouldn't take issue with them (you can like whoever you want), but when inaccurate, unfounded and downright wrong statements are made as though they are true.... it needs to be rectified.

The main argument I see for Melo being the best scorer in the NBA is the fact that he is the most versatile on offense and has a large amount of moves. And, I'll give Melo supporters that, for the volume he shoots and from the amount he does so on the perimeter, I have no problem with Melo's efficiency (except in the playoffs when it takes a nose dive). However, whenever someone brings up Durant, it'll be that Durant doesn't have a post game (as both have a strong iso and jump shooting game)

Let's investigate this further.

According to synergy stats (including both RS & PS in 12/13), Durant had 1.04ppp (points per possession) on 51.8% efficiency from the post.

In contrast, Melo had 0.92ppp on 43.2% efficiency.

Granted, Durant shot 88/170 while Melo was 150/347, so Melo shot a lot more which will lower his efficiency. I'm not for one second suggesting that Durant is a better post player than Melo (he's not), but even if we assume that the difference in efficiency is offset by the difference in volume, that does not mean Durant is that much worse of a post player than Melo is. On the contrary, Durant has made real head way in his post game this season, and this is evident by watching just a few OKC games.

No, the real difference comes from the fact that Melo is incapable of finishing at the rim.

In the RS and PS, Melo shot 246/458 on .537 at the rim and 185/388 on .477 from layups. For comparison, here's the other elite scorers in the league:

Durant: 259 /351 on .738 at the rim and 132/217 .608 from layups

LeBron: 503/665 on .756 at the rim and 330/488 on .676 from layups

34 year old Kobe: 233/336 on .693 at the rim and 188 /296 on .635 from layups

Ignoring LeBron's really ridiculous conversion stats, it still becomes evident that even shooting at a similar volume at the rim and from layups, Melo simply sucks from that range. It gets even worse in the playoffs when his layup making ability dipped ot 30%, but I'll concede that he had some tough calls going against him in Indiana from what I can remember.

To really bring home this discrepancy, Tony Allen - widely considered to be one of the worst finishers at the rim in the game - 231/406 on .569 at the rim, and 178/340 on .524 from layups. Slightly less volume than Melo but slightly better efficiency. Ask yourself this: can the best scorer in the game be in the same vicinity of converting shots in such a critical area of the court as the offensively inept Tony Allen? The only person who you can compare Melo to which will result in a favourable outlook for Melo in this area is Omer Asik.

Now, before some of you Melo apologists resort to the 'he doesn't get any calls!' excuse, there is no amount of biased treatment in the world that could create that large of a distinction in efficiency (with comparable volume) between Melo and Durant, LeBron & Kobe. None.

This season, Melo took the 5th most FGA a game (7.6 compared to Durant at 9.3, Kobe at 8.0 and LeBron at 7.0). I'll give you that Durant gets a lot of calls, but Melo isn't exactly a player that lives in the paint either - so it'd be asinine to attribute such a difference purely to calls.

No, the best scorer in the game is not Carmelo Anthony. I maintain that it's Durant (because of his ridiculous efficiency even taking a lot of perimeter shots). Or, if you want to make an argument for versatility, then make it for Kobe Bryant. Even at the age of 34, he has is easily as versatile as Melo is from the perimeter, and he actually has the ability to make layups and close range shots.

Finally, in direct response to another thread, Melo is certainly not the best offensive player either. Offense is composed of playmaking too... and it's best we leave it at that.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
:applause:

Great post. Melo is not close to being the best scorer in the game TODAY. Let alone All Time like some delusional posters claim.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Would also like to point out that Melo is a considerably worse play-maker than Lebron KD and Kobe as well.

OldSkoolball#52
07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Bottom line:

In the regular season, when teams do little to no gameplanning, Carmelo can get by playing low-IQ basketball. When everything is ratched up in the playoffs, and teams go out of their way to stop him, he is too dumb to understand how to adapt. So he just tries to force his square peg game into the round playoff hole.

If you watch guys like Durant and Dirk, when the playoffs come around, they take advantage of teams loadin up on them to make it easier for teammates to get off. Carmelo on the other hand continues to just make his teammates stand aside and watch him chuck and miss.

Hes just extremely low IQ. His talents are "ESPN Cool" rather than "Playoff Useful"

SilkkTheShocker
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2644659/hibbertblock_medium.gif

WayOfWade
Being the most versatile doesn't mean the best. If a guy gets to 30 points doing all sorts of Post moves, slashing, dunks, 3's, is he any better or more efficient than the guy who just FT's his way to 30? No, they both arrived at the same point total through different means.

Sarcastic
07-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Durant plays with fcking Russell Westbrook, who takes a ton of defensive pressure off him. Go look at his efficiency after RW went down in the playoffs. His last game he shot 5 for 21.

Go look at his whole career. His first year he shot .517 TS%. His second year with RW it went to .577, and over .600 every year after that.

For as much shit as RW gets from people, he does so much to get Durant easy baskets. Melo never had a player on Westbrook's level taking defensive pressure off him.

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
His playoff inefficiency really is disappointing for such a top scorer in the game. Agreed that he's certainly not the best offensive player.

The only difference I can see from guys like Allen and Asik is that they face less defensive pressure and double teams. However, that would not explain why Anthony scorers less efficiently than his superstar counterparts.

RoundMoundOfReb
I also hate the versatility argument. It's like saying Pau Gasol is a better scorer than Shaq.

K Xerxes
Being the most versatile doesn't mean the best. If a guy gets to 30 points doing all sorts of Post moves, slashing, dunks, 3's, is he any better or more efficient than the guy who just FT's his way to 30? No, they both arrived at the same point total through different means.

I agree, I'm just squashing the argument that Melo is the best scorer even if we assume that the title goes to most versatile.

For me, I value efficiency and output in scoring, so Durant is the best scorer in the game IMO.

SpurrDurr
07-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Can't compare Melo with Durant, Kobe and Lebron.

You can compare Melo with Jennings, Ellis, OJ Mayo etc...

Inferno
07-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Durant plays with fcking Russell Westbrook, who takes a ton of defensive pressure off him. Go look at his efficiency after RW went down in the playoffs. His last game he shot 5 for 21.

Go look at his whole career. His first year he shot .517 TS%. His second year with RW it went to .577, and over .600 every year after that.

For as much shit as RW gets from people, he does so much to get Durant easy baskets. Melo never had a player on Westbrook's level taking defensive pressure off him.

:wtf: damn...can someone get Durant stats w/o Westbrook?

Sarcastic
07-31-2013, 03:18 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2644659/hibbertblock_medium.gif

At least Hibbert is a great player.

Lebron got blocked by a midget

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2606859/natedeniesGOAT.gif

RoundMoundOfReb
07-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Best scorers:

1. Kevin Durant
2. LeBron James
3. Carmelo Anthony

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 03:19 PM
I also hate the versatility argument. It's like saying Pau Gasol is a better scorer than Shaq.

Same thing with the all-time ranking debates. People fall in love with the all-around, versatile players.

OldSkoolball#52
07-31-2013, 03:19 PM

And yet Durant scores just as much as Carmelo.

If RW werent there, Durant would prob score 40 a game on the same efficiency it takes Melo to score 28, at least in the regular season.

Its simple. Durant >>> Melo.

But youre the retard who thinks everything is racist and that Melo is an MVP candidate. You have the civilian IQ equivalent to Melos bball IQ.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-31-2013, 03:20 PM
At least Granger is a great player.

That's Hibbert not Granger.

NumberSix
07-31-2013, 03:21 PM
It's not even a fact that Melo is the most versatile scorer.

Sarcastic

He only played 1 year without him, which was his rookie year. He scored 20.3 on 43% from the field, and 29% from 3 point range. By his second year his percentages started going up drastically. And Westbrook never misses games. He's never injured until this playoffs this year.

Fresh Kid

great post:applause:

K Xerxes

This is a stupid argument. None of this prevents Melo from making layups.

In the playoffs (with the majority of it without Westbrook), Durant made .750 of his shots at the rim and .640 of his layups. And that's with 5 games against Memphis containing both Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. Durant was double and triple teamed in that whole series.

OTOH, Melo shot .426 at the rim and an abysmal .302 from the layups. 30% of your layups! Is that down to defensive pressure too?

SpurrDurr
07-31-2013, 03:22 PM
It's not even a fact that Melo is the most versatile scorer.

It's not versatile, his layups are always off.

Fresh Kid
07-31-2013, 03:22 PM
This iz a retarded thread by tha way. 2013 scoring champ says hi to all tha haters out there.

Sarcastic
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM

In the playoffs (with the majority of it without Westbrook), Durant made .750 of his shots at the rim and .640 of his layups. And that's with 5 games against Memphis containing both Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. Durant was double and triple teamed in that whole series.

OTOH, Melo shot .426 at the rim and an abysmal .302 from the layups. 30% of your layups! Is that down to defensive pressure too?

He gets fouled like Shaq used to down low, and gets no calls. Among Lebron, KD, Kobe, and Melo - Anthony by far had the worst FT per FG attempts. BY FAR!!!!! Go do the math on it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/431966_10200643981398416_874533213_n.jpg

SilkkTheShocker

Do you really want to get into a LeBron/Melo debate? You don't have the ammo. You would be walking into a gunfight with nothing but your needle d.ick

RoundMoundOfReb

:biggums:

OldSkoolball#52
07-31-2013, 03:24 PM

:lol :applause:

Fresh Kid
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you really want to get into a LeBron/Melo debate? You don't have the ammo. You would be walking into a gunfight with nothing but your needle d.ick
admit it. Lebron got blocked by somebody 12 inches smaller than him:roll:

RoundMoundOfReb
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
He gets fouled like Shaq used to down low, and gets no calls. Among Lebron, KD, Kobe, and Melo - Anthony by far had the worst FT per FG attempts. BY FAR!!!!! Go do the math on it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/431966_10200643981398416_874533213_n.jpg
So according to knicks fans there is an nba conspiracy to discriminate against the most popular player in the biggest market in the league in favor of INDIANA :lol :lol

Also anthony gets far more (fta)/(fga at the rim) than LeBron.

Fresh Kid
07-31-2013, 03:27 PM

yea, out of durant, melo, kobe, and lebron, melo gets tha least amount of respect from tha refs.

Legends66NBA7
I remember back in the day that Melo was the best pure scorer in the league, but I never got the hype of how he's the best scorer for so long with no scoring titles till last year.

I remember that comments someone said in a thread once made me chuckle:

"Finally, the best scorer in the game wins a scoring title."... Like couldn't it be telling when he wasn't winning it meant something.

SilkkTheShocker
So according to knicks fans there is an nba conspiracy to discriminate against the most popular player in the biggest market in the league in favor of INDIANA :lol :lol

Exactly. Stern desperately wanted the Indiana market in the ECF.

noob cake
07-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Best scorers:

1. Kevin Durant
2. LeBron James
3. Carmelo Anthony

http://i.imgur.com/vfApgC2.jpg

1. Kevin Durant
2. LeBron James
3. James Harden

kNicKz
07-31-2013, 03:29 PM
I've noticed a recent spurt of incredibly pro-Melo threads and comments.

Where? lol

Young X
Anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

How can the best scorer in the league shoot 41% and 51 TS% in the playoffs for his career? That's AWFUL.

By saying he's the best scorer means you're basically saying KD, Lebron and Kobe couldn't do better than that. ^

How can you be the best scorer if you hurt your teams offensively - to that degree especially in the playoffs?

K Xerxes
Once again, even if we assume Melo doesn't get calls and shoots a disproportionately low amount of FTs to FGA, that does not explain the ocean wide difference between his finishing at the rim, compared to Bron, Durant and Kobe. That is ludicrous.

Fresh Kid
07-31-2013, 03:30 PM

yes so that lebron would have an easier path to his 2nd unearned ring. Stern and company succeeded.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-31-2013, 03:30 PM

1. Kevin Durant
2. LeBron James
3. James Harden
Definitely a valid argument. #3 spot is debatable between kobe, Harden, Melo.

kNicKz
07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/107/3/a/carmelo_anthony_scoring_title_by_hecziaa-d621nqt.png

You're visibly upset

K Xerxes
I remember back in the day that Melo was the best pure scorer in the league, but I never got the hype of how he's the best scorer for so long with no scoring titles till last year.

I remember that comments someone said in a thread once made me chuckle:

"Finally, the best scorer in the game wins a scoring title."... Like couldn't it be telling when he wasn't winning it meant something.

I don't really think there ever was a time.

There's no way that's true from his rookie season to 2010. Kobe was still in his prime.

And, now, it's Durant and maybe still even Kobe. There's some noise from the Melo camp, and always have been, but I've never been convinced that it was true at any point.

OldSkoolball#52

1. Kevin Durant
2. LeBron James
3. James Harden

Id personally take Parker third but the point is still taken... If you take out all the hype, the flash, the style points.... There are actually a lot of better options than Anyhony.

Heavincent
07-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Durant, Kobe, and Lebron are all better scorers than Melo. No question.

KG215

Wow...just this whole post from beginning to end.

His efficiency was still great through the first three games against the Grizzlies. He wore down in games 4 and 5. The argument of "go look at his efficiency after Westbrook went down" is an incredibly shortsighted, ignorant argument in this case anyway. The team lost their highest usage player mid-playoffs, and had to adjust on the fly. Houston and Memphis just loaded up on Durant, double and triple teaming him, and essentially ignored everyone else. And, obviously, against the Grizzlies it's a great defensive team. who wasn't just doubling and trapping him on the catch, but also shading an extra defender (usually Gasol) towards him off the ball.

Point being, that's a very ignorant way to come the conclusion that's how inefficient Durant would be all the time without Westbrook, because in the regular season he wouldn't be playing the Grizzlies every game. He'd still be quite a bit more efficient than Carmelo.

Yeah, it probably had nothing to do with Durant just improving and becoming a smarter player. It was 100% thanks to Westbrook.

Yes, Westbrook takes some pressure off Durant and KD's efficiency would be a little worse without Russ, but you're making it sound like it's all because of Westbrook that Durant's so efficient. At least try to be rational and admit there's some middle-ground.

Legends66NBA7
Where? lol

So the threads NewYorkNoPicks made about Carmelo's best scoring games didn't happen just 2 days ago ? Or TheRealKendall trying to grasp every straw to saw Carmelo is the "GOATAT" offensive player, excluding passing (since to him it's irrelevant), Monta > LeBron on offense, Bird, Magic, etc... are all overrated....

Because that all happened in the 5-6 threads these past 1-2 days.

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't really think there ever was a time.

There's no way that's true from his rookie season to 2010. Kobe was still in his prime.

And, now, it's Durant and maybe still even Kobe. There's some noise from the Melo camp, and always have been, but I've never been convinced that it was true at any point.

I remembered listening to broadcasters and analysts on how he was the best pure scorer, which to me never made sense because I (like you) didn't see how he was better than Kobe Bryant ever. You factor in the playoffs and there's a list of guys I'm taking over him as a scorer.

aj1987
07-31-2013, 03:42 PM

Carmelo averaged 7.6, while Lebron averaged 7.0 and Wade averaged 6.2 free throws per game. Carmelo took 458 shots at the rim. Lebron and Wade took 665 and 512 at the rim, respectively. Melo averaged 0.6 more than Lebron and 1.4 more than Wade, while taking fewer shots in the paint than either of them. Lebron and Wade get more disrespected by refs, compared to Carmelo. Heck, Melo took more 3 pointers than shots at the rim.

Only 23% of Carmelo's shot attempts were in the paint. Lebron, 31%, and Wade, 33%, took significantly more shots in the paint and averaged fewer free throws.

Jacks3
07-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Kobe. :bowdown:

34 years and still putting up amazing numbers at the rim.

It's crazy because he's lost a TON of athleticism and is still hitting 70% at the rim.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

noob cake
07-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Id personally take Parker third but the point is still taken... If you take out all the hype, the flash, the style points.... There are actually a lot of better options than Anyhony.

Parker only scores 20 PPG. Not top 10 in volume so he has no argument really.

1 Carmelo Anthony (NYK)
2 Kevin Durant (OKC)
3 Kobe Bryant (LAL)
4 LeBron James (MIA)
5 James Harden (HOU)
6 Russell Westbrook (OKC)
7 Stephen Curry (GSW)
8 Dwyane Wade (MIA)
9 LaMarcus Aldridge (POR)
10 Brook Lopez (BKN)

Unbiased_one
07-31-2013, 03:50 PM

Well he was slightly less efficient and had very high overall stats in the first round of the playoffs this year

Unbiased_one
07-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Re refs: I'm pretty sure LeBron shot way more at the rim than melo and yet he shot less fts

KG215
07-31-2013, 04:13 PM
damn...can someone get Durant stats w/o Westbrook?

I'm going to do this game-by-game so you can see that a part reason his overall efficiency wasn't that great was due to being worn down...especially in the Memphis series. Not saying it was the only reason, obviously not having Westbrook hurt him, and forced him into taking more shots and tougher shots.

Game 3 vs. HOU: 41 pts, 14 reb, 4 ast, 13/30 FG, 4/9 3P, 11/13 FT

Game 4 vs. HOU: 38 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 12/16 FG, 1/2 3P, 13/15 FT

Game 5 vs. HOU: 36 pts, 7 reb, 7 ast, 11/23 FG, 1/8 3P, 13/16 FT

Game 6 vs. HOU: 27 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 11/23 FG, 3/9 3P, 2/2 FT

Game 1 vs. MEM: 35 pts, 15 reb, 6 ast, 13/26 FG, 0/2 3P, 9/10 FT

Game 2 vs. MEM: 36 pts, 11 reb, 9 ast, 11/21 FG, 3/9 3P, 11/12 FT

Game 3 vs. MEM: 25 pts, 11 reb, 5 ast, 9/19 FG, 2/6 3P, 5/9 FT

Game 4 vs. MEM: 27 pts, 7 reb, 7 ast, 10/27 FG, 5/7 3P, 2/3 FT

Game 5 vs. MEM: 21 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 5/21 FG, 0/4 3P, 11/15 FT

I think where he missed Westbrook the most was on his 3P attempts, because he wasn't getting hardly any spot-up/catch-and-shoot 3P looks. They were almost all off the bounce, and a few of those games he was taking heavily contested desperation 3's in the last minute for final 30 seconds when they were behind.

However, up until the last two games, where went a combined 15/48 from the floor, his efficiency was great: .506 FG%, .620 TS%, .551 eFG%; but those last two games dropped his percentages down to .461, .577 TS%, .507 eFG%.

So yeah, his efficiency dropped-off, but part of that was largely aided by being worn down against one of the two best defensive teams in the league loading up on him and throwing everything at him, including the kitchen sink. It should not be something anyone uses to come to a definitive conclusion of how efficient/inefficient Durant would be without Westbrook. Still a hell of a lot more efficient than Carmelo, which is why Sarcastic's post was so laughable.

Sarcastic
07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
obviously not having Westbrook hurt him, and forced him into taking more shots and tougher shots.

Now stretch this out over a whole season or even career, and how does his efficiency look?

Westbrook does so much for that team, and yet gets killed by the unappreciative fans. Without him, the team loses most of their open looks. Melo has never played with a player on Westbrook's level in his prime. The Nuggets never even had a lottery pick after he got there, because they were in the playoffs every year. The one year they got past prime Iverson, AI had by far his most efficient year of his entire career. BY FAR. It's because Melo was taking the defensive pressure off Iverson, which he never saw in Philly. Why do you think Lebron's efficiency skyrocketed up with the Heat. Playing with superstars helps. It's the exact reason he went there.

Sarcastic
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
For everyone preaching about efficiency, ya'll got Adrian Dantley as a top 5 scorer of all time, amirite?

Inferno
07-31-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm going to do this game-by-game so you can see that a part reason his overall efficiency wasn't that great was due to being worn down...especially in the Memphis series. Not saying it was the only reason, obviously not having Westbrook hurt him, and forced him into taking more shots and tougher shots.

Game 3 vs. HOU: 41 pts, 14 reb, 4 ast, 13/30 FG, 4/9 3P, 11/13 FT

Game 4 vs. HOU: 38 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 12/16 FG, 1/2 3P, 13/15 FT

Game 5 vs. HOU: 36 pts, 7 reb, 7 ast, 11/23 FG, 1/8 3P, 13/16 FT

Game 6 vs. HOU: 27 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 11/23 FG, 3/9 3P, 2/2 FT

Game 1 vs. MEM: 35 pts, 15 reb, 6 ast, 13/26 FG, 0/2 3P, 9/10 FT

Game 2 vs. MEM: 36 pts, 11 reb, 9 ast, 11/21 FG, 3/9 3P, 11/12 FT

Game 3 vs. MEM: 25 pts, 11 reb, 5 ast, 9/19 FG, 2/6 3P, 5/9 FT

Game 4 vs. MEM: 27 pts, 7 reb, 7 ast, 10/27 FG, 5/7 3P, 2/3 FT

Game 5 vs. MEM: 21 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 5/21 FG, 0/4 3P, 11/15 FT

I think where he missed Westbrook the most was on his 3P attempts, because he wasn't getting hardly any spot-up/catch-and-shoot 3P looks. They were almost all off the bounce, and a few of those games he was taking heavily contested desperation 3's in the last minute for final 30 seconds when they were behind.

However, up until the last two games, where went a combined 15/48 from the floor, his efficiency was great: .506 FG%, .620 TS%, .551 eFG%; but those last two games dropped his percentages down to .461, .577 TS%, .507 eFG%.

So yeah, his efficiency dropped-off, but part of that was largely aided by being worn down against one of the two best defensive teams in the league loading up on him and throwing everything at him, including the kitchen sink. It should not be something anyone uses to come to a definitive conclusion of how efficient/inefficient Durant would be without Westbrook. Still a hell of a lot more efficient than Carmelo, which is why Sarcastic's post was so laughable.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with those stats. It's what you'd expect KD to put up without Westbrook...more points on slightly less (still better than Melo) efficiency

KG215
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Now stretch this out over a whole season or even career, and how does his efficiency look?
Stretch it out over an entire season where he's not playing a top 2 defense 56% of his games? It's still worse, but not as bad as it was against the Grizzlies in the playoffs, and still quite a bit better than Carmelo.

Carmelo is a more versatile scorer, but Durant is a better scorer. There is a difference.

Solefade
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM

I'd like to see Nate Robinson block LBJ's shot while they're going at each other head to head rather than blocking him from behind. :facepalm

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
For everyone preaching about efficiency, ya'll got Adrian Dantley as a top 5 scorer of all time, amirite?

All-time would include big men.

So no, there would be better scorers,which for the most part will consist of bigs (outside of Jordan) in the Top 5.

buddha
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
I've noticed a recent spurt of incredibly pro-Melo threads and comments. I wouldn't take issue with them (you can like whoever you want), but when inaccurate, unfounded and downright wrong statements are made as though they are true.... it needs to be rectified.

The main argument I see for Melo being the best scorer in the NBA is the fact that he is the most versatile on offense and has a large amount of moves. And, I'll give Melo supporters that, for the volume he shoots and from the amount he does so on the perimeter, I have no problem with Melo's efficiency (except in the playoffs when it takes a nose dive). However, whenever someone brings up Durant, it'll be that Durant doesn't have a post game (as both have a strong iso and jump shooting game)

According to synergy stats (including both RS & PS in 12/13), Durant had 1.04ppp (points per possession) on 51.8% efficiency from the post.

Granted, Durant shot 88/170 while Melo was 150/347, so Melo shot a lot more which will lower his efficiency. I'm not for one second suggesting that Durant is a better post player than Melo (he's not), but even if we assume that the difference in efficiency is offset by the difference in volume, that does not mean Durant is that much worse of a post player than Melo is. On the contrary, Durant has made real head way in his post game this season, and this is evident by watching just a few OKC games.

No, the real difference comes from the fact that Melo is incapable of finishing at the rim.

In the RS and PS, Melo shot 246/458 on .537 at the rim and 185/388 on .477 from layups. For comparison, here's the other elite scorers in the league:

Ignoring LeBron's really ridiculous conversion stats, it still becomes evident that even shooting at a similar volume at the rim and from layups, Melo simply sucks from that range. It gets even worse in the playoffs when his layup making ability dipped ot 30%, but I'll concede that he had some tough calls going against him in Indiana from what I can remember.

To really bring home this discrepancy, Tony Allen - widely considered to be one of the worst finishers at the rim in the game - 231/406 on .569 at the rim, and 178/340 on .524 from layups. Slightly less volume than Melo but slightly better efficiency. Ask yourself this: can the best scorer in the game be in the same vicinity of converting shots in such a critical area of the court as the offensively inept Tony Allen? The only person who you can compare Melo to which will result in a favourable outlook for Melo in this area is Omer Asik.

Now, before some of you Melo apologists resort to the 'he doesn't get any calls!' excuse, there is no amount of biased treatment in the world that could create that large of a distinction in efficiency (with comparable volume) between Melo and Durant, LeBron & Kobe. None.

This season, Melo took the 5th most FGA a game (7.6 compared to Durant at 9.3, Kobe at 8.0 and LeBron at 7.0). I'll give you that Durant gets a lot of calls, but Melo isn't exactly a player that lives in the paint either - so it'd be asinine to attribute such a difference purely to calls.

No, the best scorer in the game is not Carmelo Anthony. I maintain that it's Durant (because of his ridiculous efficiency even taking a lot of perimeter shots). Or, if you want to make an argument for versatility, then make it for Kobe Bryant. Even at the age of 34, he has is easily as versatile as Melo is from the perimeter, and he actually has the ability to make layups and close range shots.

Finally, in direct response to another thread, Melo is certainly not the best offensive player either. Offense is composed of playmaking too... and it's best we leave it at that.

I've noticed these stats posted in a few other Melo threads, very great work, bro....

Hoopz2332
07-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Great post!!

high volume scoring eff/rate >>>>>> low eff volume scoring diversity or "moves"

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Great post!!

high volume scoring eff/rate >>>>>> low eff volume scoring diversity or "moves"

Or, High/Volume scoring eff/rate with moves > Low eff volume scoring with moves.

Many of the good volume/high efficiency scorers have a lot of moves. They may not all of them, but it's effective enough. The majority of great scorers have a lot moves.

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Great post bro!

But Still doesn't change the fact that Melo get no ref love.

Lebron takes more shots at the rim cause most of them are fastbreaks with no defender there.

KD gets a shit ton of help from refs. He has no post game either.

Melo is still the best scorer of all time.

So you can continue with these posts but I don't buy it.

He can score from any where.

His only flaw that y'all bring up is passing and he doesn't make his teammates better but Lebron turns his teammates into jump shooters.

So how does that make them better?

These are the top scorers in order.

1. Melo
2. KD
3. Kobe
4. Lebron

And no I didn't read all of your post cause it's the same jibberish in my last thread.

I commend you for typing all of that though :applause:

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Melo is still the best scorer of all time.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif

Always wanted to use this gif.

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif

Always wanted to use this gif.

Laugh now!

Once he get a good team he'll make top 10 all time.

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 06:02 PM

Stop it, man.

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Stop it, man.

Dude that's what separates him from the other stars.

They all have better teams than him.

Better teams = More success

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't think you even believe what your typing anymore.

So with that, there is nothing more to say.

Overdrive
07-31-2013, 06:30 PM

You mean someone like AI? When Melo joined the Knicks Amare was still scoring well, but he couldn't figure out how to utilize their scoring brewness to the max - then he, Amare, got hurt.

Melo's biggest problem is that he stops seeing plays once he believes he's on. Teammates don't matter. If you execute a play correctly even John Paxson can win you the finals.

OldSkoolball#52
07-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Lebron would have won 4 titles with those Nuggets teams Carmelo had. Durant would have won 2.

Those were very good supporting casts for a supposed superstar. Carmelo is simply a loser in the postseason and the whole world knows it except for dumb Knick fans.

Also, Carmelo chose to go to the Knicks. He wasn't drafted there. He chose to go there. The Knicks are a shit organization and they had a shit roster when he chose to go there. You have to count that against him. Just another indication of his incredibly tiny bball IQ.

Solefade
07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Laugh now!

You're drunk.

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 07:07 PM
You're drunk.

I can't drink on the job.

Lebron would have won 4 titles with those Nuggets teams Carmelo had. Durant would have won 2.

Those were very good supporting casts for a supposed superstar. Carmelo is simply a loser in the postseason and the whole world knows it except for dumb Knick fans.

Also, Carmelo chose to go to the Knicks. He wasn't drafted there. He chose to go there. The Knicks are a shit organization and they had a shit roster when he chose to go there. You have to count that against him. Just another indication of his incredibly tiny bball IQ.

That is a knock against him.

Where is your proof that Kd and Lebron would have rings on the Nuggets?

KG215
07-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Where is your proof that Kd and Lebron would have rings on the Nuggets?
And where is your proof that Carmelo is the greatest scorer of all-time of all-time?

aj1987
07-31-2013, 07:14 PM

Iverson, Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Camby, and Nene.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2008.html

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
And where is your proof that Carmelo is the greatest scorer of all-time of all-time?

I made a mistake on the title.

The proof is in the pudding.

Iverson, Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Camby, and Nene.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2008.html

A.I a ball hog, K-mart no offense, J.R dumb black hole, and Nene decent but no D.

Stop saying he had a team cause he didn't.

That's not even comparable to the Heat and OKC.

KG215
07-31-2013, 07:24 PM
In their 2009 run to the WCF, Billups averaged 21-6-5-1 on 46/47/91 shooting and 66% TS in the playoffs. For comparison's sake, Westbrook averaged 24-6-5-1 on 39/29/85 shooting and 50% TS in 2011 when OKC made the WCF; oh, Denver's 3-5 guys put up better numbers in 2009 than OKC's 3-5 guys did in 2011. And in 2012, when OKC made the Finals, Westbrook averaged 23-6-6-2 on 44/28/80 shooting and 51% TS.

Yet, for some reason, Carmelo fans like to pretend that Carmelo never had someone as good as Westbrook to take pressure off of him. And I'm not saying 2009 Billups was better than Westbrook, but the production is very close, and Billups was much more efficient. Carmelo fans also want to try and tell everyone he didn't have good supporting casts in Denver, but they were always a very deep team. I mean in the 2009 playoffs they had 5 guys average 10+ PPG and 3 others average 7 PPG.

KG215
07-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Nuh uh, you're not getting off that easy. What proof do you have that Melo is the best scorer ever?

aj1987
07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
I made a mistake on the title.

A.I a ball hog, K-mart no offense, J.R dumb black hole, and Nene decent but no D.

Stop saying he had a team cause he didn't.

That's not even comparable to the Heat and OKC.
Are you seriously that stupid? Iverson had one of the best shooting seasons of his career that year, and Carmelo took more shots than him. Kenyon averaged 12.5 on 54%. Camby was still a defensive big man, who won the DPOY the previous season. Even JR shot the ball really well that year.

Come playoffs, Carmelo shit the bed again. He shot sub .400 AFAIK. So, who's the ball hog?

BTW, Nene didn't play that season. My bad.

diamenz
07-31-2013, 07:32 PM

i am fond of this gif. where can i find more like it?

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Are you seriously that stupid? Iverson had one of the best shooting seasons of his career that year, and Carmelo took more shots than him. Kenyon averaged 12.5 on 54%. Camby was still a defensive big man, who won the DPOY the previous season. Even JR shot the ball really well that year.

Come playoffs, Carmelo shit the bed again. He shot sub .400 AFAIK. So, who's the ball hog?

BTW, Nene didn't play that season. My bad.

I'm not and I don't care about your stats.

That wasn't a Championship caliber team. Maybe by 2k standards but not in real life.

aj1987
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
That wasn't a Championship caliber team. Maybe by 2k standards but not in real life.
Exactly! It was all because of Carmelo.

RRR3
07-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Real kendall, address this post w/o bsing please. I'm pretty sure you're trolling but whatever.

30+ point games since Carmelo entered NBA

1. Kobe Bryant, 317
2. LeBron James, 308
3. Carmelo "Best Scorer EVAH!" Anthony, 215

40+ Point Games Since Carmelo entered NBA

1. Kobe Bryant, 93
2. LeBron James, 49
3. tie Allen Iverson and Dwyane Wade, 32 each
5. Carmelo "GOAT Scorer" Anthony, 29

45+ Point Games since Carmelo entered NBA

1. Kobe Bryant, 33
2. LeBron James, 18
3. Allen Iverson, 15
4. Carmelo Anthony, 10

50+ Point games since Carmelo entered NBA

1. Kobe Bryant, 19
2. LeBron James, 9
3. Allen Iverson, 6
4. Tie between Carmelo "Best Offensive Player Ever" Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Gilbert Arenas and Jamal Crawford with 3 each.

55+ Point Games since Carmelo entered NBA
1. Kobe Bryant, 6
2. LeBron James, 2
No one else has more than 1 in this time period. FYI, Carmelo isn't one of those guys either, but Brandon Jennings and Jermaine O'Neal are :roll:

Lets move on to the playoffs shall we?

30+ playoff games since Carmelo entered NBA
1. Kobe, 62
2. LeBron, 61
3. Wade, 32
4. Dirk Nowitzki, 30
5. Tie-Carmelo and Kevin Durant, 22 each. Durant already tied hm :roll:

40+ Playoff games since Carmelo debuted
1. Tie-Guess who? Yep, Kobe and LeBron again with 11 each.
3. Wade, 7
4. Tie-Dirk, Amar'e Stoudemire, Durant, and Melo, with 4 each. Not even more than his 2nd option :facepalm

45+ Playoff games since Carmelo debuted
1. LeBron James, 6
2. Kobe Bryant, 3
3. Tie- Ray Allen and Dirk, 2 each.
Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Wade have one apiece as well. Melo has ZERO.

50+ Playoff Games since Carmelo debuted
Only Kobe, Ray Allen and Dirk have done this.

Let's move on to PPG

30+ PPG Seasons since 2003-04 (Carmelo's debut)
Kobe, LeBron and Allen Iverson have each done it twice. Durant and Wade once. Melo NEVER.

Times Leading Playoffs in PPG since 2003-04
LeBron, Kobe and Durant have done it twice. Wade once. Carmelo hasn't ever done it.

Highest PPG since 2003-04
1. Kobe Bryant, 28.2 PPG on .452/.337/.841
2. LeBron James, 27.6 PPG on .490/.337/.747
3. Kevin Durant, 26.6 PPG on .475/.373/.884
4. Allen Iverson, 26.2 PPG on .432/.315/.803
5. Carmelo Anthony, 25.0 PPG on .456/.334/.808

Highest Playoff PPG since 2003-04
1. Kevin Durant, 28.6 PPG on .463/.340/.848
2. Kobe Bryant, 28.3 PPG on .453/.323/.836
3. LeBron James, 28.1 PPG on .472/.322/.749
4. Allen Iverson, 26.4 PPG on .424/.333/.796
5. Dirk Nowitzki, 26.1 PPG on .465/.361/.893
6. Carmelo Anthony, 25.7 PPG on .417/.320/.826

Kobe, Durant and LeBron are all clearly better scorers, and that's only part of offense-the gap gets larger when you consider Carmelo gets the least assists by far of these guys (Durant didn't get many until recently, but he still gets more than Carmelo ever has). Furthermore, all are much more efficient. Heck, Allen Iverson since 2003-04 is more efficient than Carmelo in the playoffs.

AintNoSunshine
07-31-2013, 09:37 PM

knicks fans only surface during the off season and get shut the fukk up when games are played.:confusedshrug:

On topic he's predictable, you know he's going to hoist up a shot when he has the ball, it makes it easier for the defender. Also he has terrible finishing touch around the basket.

TheReal Kendall
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Real kendall, address this post w/o bsing please. I'm pretty sure you're trolling but whatever.

1. Kobe Bryant, 317
2. LeBron James, 308

1. Kobe Bryant, 93
2. LeBron James, 49

1. Kobe Bryant, 33
2. LeBron James, 18
3. Allen Iverson, 15
4. Carmelo Anthony, 10

1. Kobe Bryant, 19
2. LeBron James, 9
3. Allen Iverson, 6
4. Tie between Carmelo "Best Offensive Player Ever" Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Gilbert Arenas and Jamal Crawford with 3 each.

1. Kobe Bryant, 6
2. LeBron James, 2
No one else has more than 1 in this time period. FYI, Carmelo isn't one of those guys either, but Brandon Jennings and Jermaine O'Neal are :roll:

1. Kobe, 62
2. LeBron, 61
3. Wade, 32
4. Dirk Nowitzki, 30

3. Wade, 7
4. Tie-Dirk, Amar'e Stoudemire, Durant, and Melo, with 4 each. Not even more than his 2nd option :facepalm

1. LeBron James, 6
2. Kobe Bryant, 3

Let's move on to PPG

Kobe, LeBron and Allen Iverson have each done it twice. Durant and Wade once. Melo NEVER.

LeBron, Kobe and Durant have done it twice. Wade once. Carmelo hasn't ever done it.

Kobe, Durant and LeBron are all clearly better scorers, and that's only part of offense-the gap gets larger when you consider Carmelo gets the least assists by far of these guys (Durant didn't get many until recently, but he still gets more than Carmelo ever has). Furthermore, all are much more efficient. Heck, Allen Iverson since 2003-04 is more efficient than Carmelo in the playoffs.

These are all stats from games which have many other factors that are involved.

Like how the defense played Melo and other guys.

Too many different factors that don't show up in stats.

That's why I don't put much stock in stats

RRR3
07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
These are all stats from games which have many other factors that are involved.

Like how the defense played Melo and other guys.

Too many different factors that don't show up in stats.

That's why I don't put much stock in stats

Real kendall, address this post w/o bsing please.
:coleman: :banghead: :hammerhead:

LikeABosh
07-31-2013, 09:44 PM

1. Kobe Bryant, 317
2. LeBron James, 308

1. Kobe Bryant, 93
2. LeBron James, 49

1. Kobe Bryant, 33
2. LeBron James, 18
3. Allen Iverson, 15
4. Carmelo Anthony, 10

1. Kobe Bryant, 19
2. LeBron James, 9
3. Allen Iverson, 6

1. Kobe Bryant, 6
2. LeBron James, 2

1. Kobe, 62
2. LeBron, 61
3. Wade, 32
4. Dirk Nowitzki, 30

3. Wade, 7

1. LeBron James, 6
2. Kobe Bryant, 3

Let's move on to PPG

/Thread :applause:

The-Legend-24
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Kobe at 34 years old is a better finisher than prime Melo.

:roll:

DaSeba5
07-31-2013, 10:22 PM

1. Kobe Bryant, 317
2. LeBron James, 308

1. Kobe Bryant, 93
2. LeBron James, 49

1. Kobe Bryant, 33
2. LeBron James, 18
3. Allen Iverson, 15
4. Carmelo Anthony, 10

1. Kobe Bryant, 19
2. LeBron James, 9
3. Allen Iverson, 6

1. Kobe Bryant, 6
2. LeBron James, 2

1. Kobe, 62
2. LeBron, 61
3. Wade, 32
4. Dirk Nowitzki, 30

3. Wade, 7

1. LeBron James, 6
2. Kobe Bryant, 3

Let's move on to PPG

/Thread

Game. Set. Match.

RRR3
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM

Kobe at 34 years old is a better everything (well not rebounding) than prime Melo

Electric Slide
07-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Kobe at 34 years old is a better everything (well not rebounding) than prime Melo
Actually Kobe is a better rebounder for his position since Melo is a PF now.

RRR3
07-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Actually Kobe is a better rebounder for his position since Melo is a PF now.
Yeah, that's true, if we're going by position but I mean Melo gets more rebounds technically.

Electric Slide
07-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah, that's true, if we're going by position but I mean Melo gets more rebounds technically.
he's closer to the basket though.

rebounds by position is important, otherwise we would just have 5 bigs/centers out there.

The-Legend-24
07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
A scoring title that Durant basically gave to him. :oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
07-31-2013, 10:43 PM
The defenses played on each star player isn't all that different. Sure, James does get played different at times, like letting him take wide open jump shots, but that doesn't always work. Melo also gets played pretty different, but as the playoffs have shown he gets effected the most.

KG215
08-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Going off RRR3's post, it's not even just about LeBron, Kobe, and even Durant being more prolific scorers than Kobe, they're also more efficient scorers, especially Durant and LeBron.

Best FG% Season
LeBron: .565
Durant: .510
Kobe: .469
Carmelo: .492

Best TS% Season
LeBron: .640
Durant: .647
Kobe: .580
Carmelo: .568

Best eFG% Season
LeBron: .603
Durant: .559
Kobe: .504
Carmelo: .511

In fact, Durant has 5 seasons with a better TS% than Carmelo's single best season; LeBron has 5, also; Kobe has 3. This guy wants to argue Carmelo is the best scorer of all-time and he's not even the best scorer of his generation. Just because Carmelo may be the most versatile scorer doesn't mean he's the best.

Hoopz2332
08-01-2013, 03:39 AM

1. Kobe Bryant, 317
2. LeBron James, 308

1. Kobe Bryant, 93
2. LeBron James, 49

1. Kobe Bryant, 33
2. LeBron James, 18
3. Allen Iverson, 15
4. Carmelo Anthony, 10

1. Kobe Bryant, 19
2. LeBron James, 9
3. Allen Iverson, 6

1. Kobe Bryant, 6
2. LeBron James, 2

1. Kobe, 62
2. LeBron, 61
3. Wade, 32
4. Dirk Nowitzki, 30

3. Wade, 7

1. LeBron James, 6
2. Kobe Bryant, 3

Let's move on to PPG

http://i.imgur.com/XmAv9V9.jpg

Jacks3
08-01-2013, 05:22 AM

Astronomically better. :bowdown:

SpurrDurr
08-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Give me a 34 year old Kobe coming back from a serious injury over a prime healthy Melo.

VIntageNOvel
08-01-2013, 05:27 AM
best scorer in the game is a healthy steph curry
he shoot better FG from beyond the arc than melo under the rim
/thread