PDA

View Full Version : Better overall player: Carmelo Anthony or Dwyane Wade?

hawkfan
08-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Better overall player: Carmelo Anthony or Dwyane Wade?

leMVP
08-01-2013, 07:55 AM
one was considered top 2 or 3 for some time, the other before last year wasn't even considered top 5.

Wade by miles.

fiddy
08-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Kobe

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Currently, Melo. Prime and peak? Obviously Wade.

OldSkoolball#52
08-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Melo is not top 100.

treadster
08-01-2013, 08:33 AM
wade by a long shot

Sakkreth
08-01-2013, 08:34 AM

This, there is no discussion on this one. Anyone who says otherwise is quite stupid. This is an easy one. Not sure why such thread is needed.

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
wade by a long shot
hater alert:facepalm

red1
08-01-2013, 09:22 AM
hater alert:facepalm
he is right. over the course of their careers wade has clearly been better

RIP CITY
08-01-2013, 09:23 AM
100% Healthy Wade is the better player but he hasn't been able to stay healthy the last few seasons so right now you have to go with Carmelo. Wade has had a much better career and was a much better player at his peak though.

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
he is right. over the course of their careers wade has clearly been better
Im talking about now

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Wade

OldSkoolball#52
08-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Im talking about now

Wade won more playoff series in 2013 than Carmelo has in his 10 year career.

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Wade won more playoff series in 2013 than Carmelo has in his 10 year career.
who's tha better player? not better team.

dr.hee
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM

This.

WayOfWade
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Wade has been better in his career by far, and was simply the better player by far, until recently. The gap has closed but Wade is still the better player. Had LeBron not played this season, Wade would've averaged 24, 6, & 6 on 50% shooting easy. Melo may overtake Wade in th next couple years, but constant disappointment won't move anyone up very far in Best Player Rankings.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
This is a joke.

Nezty
08-01-2013, 09:53 AM
who's tha better player? not better team.

People always with that same logic, It's pathetic really.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Wade has been better in his career by far, and was simply the better player by far, until recently. The gap has closed but Wade is still the better player. Had LeBron not played this season, Wade would've averaged 24, 6, & 6 on 50% shooting easy. Melo may overtake Wade in th next couple years, but constant disappointment won't move anyone up very far in Best Player Rankings.

If Wade was injured and essentially broke down to some degree averaging 21/5/5, what makes you think he could average 24/6/6 easily? Fact is, Wade has declined the past 2 seasons, and injuries become more and more frequent as you age.

As it is, Melo wasn't 100% either last season. Had the knee and shoulder injuries.

LosScandalous
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Right now it's melo and it's not close.

Melo plays with more effort/urgency than old man Wade. He also doesn't flop, cry for calls, cheap shot people either.

salwan
08-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Lol, how is this even a discussion?

Better OVERALL player?

Melo is the better scorer. He's a good rebounder.

Dwade is the better defender, passer, is also a great rebounder for his position, better intangibles, Greater winner, fighter etc

JMT
08-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Due to wear and tear, Wade isn't the same guy he was a couple years ago.

Even with that deterioration, Anthony clearly is better at scoring. That's pretty much it.

Wade has been the vastly better player throughout his prime and peak.

WayOfWade
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
If Wade was injured and essentially broke down to some degree averaging 21/5/5, what makes you think he could average 24/6/6 easily? Fact is, Wade has declined the past 2 seasons, and injuries become more and more frequent as you age.

As it is, Melo wasn't 100% either last season. Had the knee and shoulder injuries.
Key words were "without LeBron." If a declining/injured Wade averaged 21 5 & 5 on 52% shooting with LeBron taking a boat load of those stats as well, without him, all of Wade's non % stats should go up. But you're right, Wade has declined the past 2 years, and I can't blame anyone for saying Melo is better; there's a lot of evidence to back that up. My main problem with Melo is that he doesn't give effort on defense. He's very capable, but like Kobe he just doesn't.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Key words were "without LeBron." If a declining/injured Wade averaged 21 5 & 5 on 52% shooting with LeBron taking a boat load of those stats as well, without him, all of Wade's non % stats should go up. But you're right, Wade has declined the past 2 years, and I can't blame anyone for saying Melo is better; there's a lot of evidence to back that up. My main problem with Melo is that he doesn't give effort on defense. He's very capable, but like Kobe he just doesn't.

My point was if Wade's already struggling with numerous injuries, there's a good chance those problems would increase taking on an a bigger load which he'd have to if Lebron wasn't there.

Fair point about Melo, though he did give pretty decent effort much of last season defensively. With that said, I've often thought Wade's effort has been questionable defensively during the big 3 era.

aj1987
08-01-2013, 10:30 AM
My point was if Wade's already struggling with numerous injuries, there's a good chance those problems would increase taking on an a bigger load which he'd have to if Lebron wasn't there.

Fair point about Melo, though he did give pretty decent effort much of last season defensively. With that said, I've often thought Wade's effort has been questionable defensively during the big 3 era.
Wade's injuries flared up in March. Before that, he was pretty healthy and was averaging 24/6/6/3 on 55% over a 24 game stretch. He also averaged 21 on 16 shots per game. If he averaged 18-19 shots per game, he would've gotten to 25 easily.

AirFederer
08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Wade by a landslide

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Wade's injuries flared up in March. Before that, he was pretty healthy and was averaging 24/6/6/3 on 55% over a 24 game stretch. He also averaged 21 on 16 shots per game. If he averaged 18-19 shots per game, he would've gotten to 25 easily.

Yes, and breaking down as the season goes on is not uncommon with aging players and wouldn't be less likely with a bigger load to carry. I don't know what Wade would average on 18-19 shots, or if he can still handle that load, but 2 seasons ago when Wade was still in his prime, he averaged 25.5 ppg on 18.2 FGA so I wouldn't assume he's still going to average 25 on 18-19 shots "easily." Or that he's going to last an entire season having to do that when he's breaking down with a lighter load.

Frozen1
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
If Wade was not a lebron teamate and had 22 shots per game, i'm sure he could average at least 28 points.

aj1987
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes, and breaking down as the season goes on is not uncommon with aging players and wouldn't be less likely with a bigger load to carry. I don't know what Wade would average on 18-19 shots, or if he can still handle that load, but 2 seasons ago when Wade was still in his prime, he averaged 25.5 ppg on 18.2 FGA so I wouldn't assume he's still going to average 25 on 18-19 shots "easily." Or that he's going to last an entire season having to do that when he's breaking down with a lighter load.
Also, he wouldn't have to average more minutes. Just take more shots away from either Lebron or Bosh in the same minutes he's playing. I don't think we'll ever see what he would average though. As long as Wade plays with Lebron and Bosh, he won't average 25. 20-23 is the most he'll average.

Jameerthefear
08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
This the obvious answer, so why does this thread exist?

HomieWeMajor
08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
If Wade was not a lebron teamate and had 22 shots per game, i'm sure he could average at least 28 points.
On what percentage though ?
His jumpshot is swayze
Wade is lucky Lebron gives him easy buckets

longhornfan1234
08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Right now? Melo. Wade is injured.

All-time? Wade, and it's not even close.

NUPE_1911
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Wade is better. Wade's season numbers were great this past year (better than Melo).

Also, Wade just put up 20 ppg in the finals...

Also, I am a Knick fan....

Human Error
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Wade by a mile.

Wally450
08-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Melo by a mile

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Wade is better. Wade's season numbers were great this past year (better than Melo).

Also, Wade just put up 20 ppg in the finals...

Also, I am a Knick fan....
:facepalm

Frozen1
08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
His jumpshot is swayze

You are acting like melo's 45% from the field is sky high.

I think only in his rookie year Wade shot this bad as melo.

dr.hee
08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
This the obvious answer, so why does this thread exist?

Why does OP exist?

kenny817
08-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Without Bron...Wade would only have one bullshit ring

Mass Debator
08-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Wade has 3 rings.
Lebron with Wade has 2.
Wade without Lebron has 1.
Lebron without Wade has zer0.

sc19
08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
There's nothing in Melo's resume that warrants a Hall of Fame induction nor top 200 all-time.
/thread

Legends66NBA7
08-01-2013, 01:43 PM
This is basically like thread of Dirk vs Melo. Obviously, current Melo is better. In their primes ? Wade is better.

There's nothing in Melo's resume that warrants a Hall of Fame induction nor top 200 all-time.
/thread

Melo will get in the Hall of Fame if he continues to rack up all-star appearances, accolades, all-time total, etc... If he gets titles/finals MVP's he will no doubt be a lock, if he isn't already.

aj1987
08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
His jumpshot is swayze
Wade shoots 50% for his career. The same as Lebron.

Without Wade, Lebron would have ZERO.

Solefade
08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Why do we keep comparing relevant players to Melo? Is this dude even better than Amare in terms of peak/career?

cos88
08-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Kobe

once again you prove you're an idiot :applause:

ontopic: melo. if wade is 100% i'll take him.

Legends66NBA7
08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Why do we keep comparing relevant players to Melo? Is this dude even better than Amare in terms of peak/career?

If by relevant, you mean current, then Melo is better.

Amare had a much better supporting cast in Phoenix (probably did peak higher), but I'm pretty sure Melo will edge him out if he continues to pile on accolades/all-time records.

Unbiased_one
08-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Wait, is melo seriously considered a hall of fame candidate? Melo shouldn't even be in the hall of very good let alone the hall of fame. :facepalm:

Legends66NBA7
08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Wait, is melo seriously considered a hall of fame candidate? Melo shouldn't even be in the hall of very good let alone the hall of fame. :facepalm:

Chris Mullin got into the hall of fame not too long ago and Melo might very well surpass his career, if he hasn't already. There are even worse HOF's that went in as players.

Not that I agree with his or many other inductees, but the basketball hall of fame has been very easy to get into. Plus, it will take a look at his college and olympic career too, which only strengths his argument.

Unbiased_one
08-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Chris Mullin got into the hall of fame not too long ago and Melo might very well surpass his career, if he hasn't already. There are even worse HOF's that went in as players.

Not that I agree with his or many other inductees, but the basketball hall of fame has been very easy to get into. Plus, it will take a look at his college and olympic career too, which only strengths his argument.

The HOF is even more of a joke than I realised then. They'll probably elect Jason Collins in a couple of years.

PJR
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
D.Wade has been and will always be better than Carmelo Anthony.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Even though I'm hesitant to used words like underrated, with all of the hate Melo gets, I can safely say he's underrated on this board. He's one of the strongest perimeter players in the league, has an excellent mid-range game, has become a really dangerous 3 point shooter, posts up extremely well, either with inside power moves or the fadeaway, handles the ball well and his very dangerous off the dribble particularly with the great jab step to complement his jumper. Only thing he's struggled with his finishing around the rim, but he has such a quick second jump that he often makes up for that and can just power his way in to a basket if he doesn't get the initial shot.

The guy is a flat out lethal scorer, and at this point, a pretty respectable all around player who just led the league in scoring while leading his team to 54 wins despite countless injuries. Seriously, you'd think he was winning 20 games and in the lottery by the way people talk. Truthfully, for as much shit as Melo takes about playoff success, Chris Paul has had no more team success than Melo. Actually, Melo has advanced farther in the playoffs than Paul.

Young X
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Wade. I don't understand the argument for Melo, normally the argument against Wade is his terrible playoff run, but he played BETTER than Melo in the playoffs.

I don't think people realize how terrible Melo was in the playoffs - he averaged 29 pts on 26 shots (terrible), shot under 41% (terrible), shot below 50 TS% (terrible) while averaging 1.6 assists and 2.6 turnovers (terrible) and playing his usual terrible defense. Wade wasn't THAT bad.

No wonder his teams keep losing, how are you supposed to win when the player using most of your possessions plays that inefficiently?

OldSkoolball#52
08-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Wade. I don't understand the argument for Melo, normally the argument against Wade is his terrible playoff run, but he played BETTER than Melo in the playoffs.

I don't think people realize how terrible Melo was in the playoffs - he averaged 29 pts on 26 shots (terrible), shot under 41% (terrible), shot below 50 TS% (terrible) while averaging 1.6 assists and 2.6 turnovers (terrible) and playing his usual terrible defense. Wade wasn't THAT bad.

No wonder his teams keep losing, how are you supposed to win when the player using most of your possessions plays that inefficiently?

Bc carmello can score in the most verietee of wayzes

Legends66NBA7
08-01-2013, 04:59 PM

If Anthony had LeBron James on his side, he would probably win a ring too and get better looks, which would raise his efficiency. A tandem of James and Anthony would be a nightmare to stop on offense because of the many mis-matches they both cause.

Anthony should rightfully so get the a lot of blame for his team losing since he's their best player, but who exactly could you go to for the Knicks if the rest of your teammates aren't coming to play ?

His most consistent options in the playoffs were Raymond Felton and Iman Shumpert (defensively, anyways). JR Smith was flat out horrible shooting the ball. Tyson Chandler disappeared and got outplayed by Kevin Garnett and Roy Hibbert in his matchups. The energy guys can't give solid performances all the time.

All-time, that's not always the case. But last year, he had a lot to carry.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 05:03 PM

And who should have been taking shots over Melo? Jr Smith who shot 33% and averaged 14.3 ppg on 14.8 shots?

Comparing their playoff runs is pretty ridiculous considering their roles. Melo couldn't average 16 ppg on that Knick team even if he wanted to. By the way, Wade's TS% was the same as Melo's.

The quality of defenses Melo had to face and the lack of help/load he had to carry certainly account for some of that efficiency.

NumberSix
08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Is this a joke?

Young X
08-01-2013, 05:09 PM
You guys would be right if this wasn't a pattern for Melo, unfortunately it is. Look at 2008 for example, he averaged 22 pts on 36%/45 TS% shooting in the playoffs :oldlol: AND he played with Iverson. No matter who he plays with, his efficiency in the playoffs is GARBAGE and it gives his teams a low chance of winning.

It's not a coincidence that his team went farthest in the playoffs (WCF) when he had his best playoff run.

Solefade
08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
And who should have been taking shots over Melo? Jr Smith who shot 33% and averaged 14.3 ppg on 14.8 shots?

Comparing their playoff runs is pretty ridiculous considering their roles. Melo couldn't average 16 ppg on that Knick team even if he wanted to. By the way, Wade's TS% was the same as Melo's.

The quality of defenses Melo had to face and the lack of help/load he had to carry certainly account for some of that efficiency.

Why does Melo keep getting a pass? What about when he was in Denver and his squad was stacked? This current NY team is better than any of LeBron's teams in Cleveland and it's arguable that it has more talent than Wade's 2006 team but for sure better than any of Wade's non championship teams before Bron got there. If he's so offensively versatile and potent, his efficiency doesn't say so. Dude is not in the same tier as Bron and Wade.

grantz
08-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Wade by a longshot. I'm not a big fan of Wade but this can't be a serious question.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
You guys would be right if this wasn't a pattern for Melo, unfortunately it is. Look at 2008 for example, he averaged 22 pts on 36%/45 TS% shooting in the playoffs :oldlol: AND he played with Iverson. No matter who he plays with, his efficiency in the playoffs is GARBAGE and it gives his teams a low chance of winning.

It's not a coincidence that his team went farthest in the playoffs (WCF) when he had his best playoff run.

So in other words, if Melo struggles his teams lose, while Wade struggled and his team won a title this season.

Why does Melo keep getting a pass? What about when he was in Denver and his squad was stacked? This current NY team is better than any of LeBron's teams and it's arguable that it has more talent than Wade's 2006 team. Dude is not in the same tier as Bron and Wade.

What about Denver? You mean when he lost to the champion Spurs in 2007? Or the WC champion Lakers in 2008? Or the champion Lakers in the '09 WCF?

Which of those teams should he have beaten?

As far as the current Knicks, they're not as good as Wade's '06 Heat. No chance. Chandler is the second best player on the team and he was pretty much worthless from March on due to injuries.

Seriously, 54 wins and a second round appearance was a good season, especially considering all of the injuries. Indiana was just a better team with a big advantage inside. In fact, that same type of advantage inside was enough to take Miami to 7.

And Melo doesn't keep getting a pass. He's probably the most disrespected superstar on these boards. Some people act like he's not even an all-star.

Solefade
08-01-2013, 05:41 PM
So in other words, if Melo struggles his teams lose, while Wade struggled and his team won a title this season.

What about Denver? You mean when he lost to the champion Spurs in 2007? Or the WC champion Lakers in 2008? Or the champion Lakers in the '09 WCF?

Which of those teams should he have beaten?

As far as the current Knicks, they're not as good as Wade's '06 Heat. No chance. Chandler is the second best player on the team and he was pretty much worthless from March on due to injuries.

Seriously, 54 wins and a second round appearance was a good season, especially considering all of the injuries. Indiana was just a better team with a big advantage inside. In fact, that same type of advantage inside was enough to take Miami to 7.

And Melo doesn't keep getting a pass. He's probably the most disrespected superstar on these boards. Some people act like he's not even an all-star.

You're giving him a pass right now. He's been on a few 50+ win teams in Denver and New York with some pretty damn solid rosters from top to bottom and has only gotten out of the first round TWICE including these past playoffs (You can't be a 50+ win team and be playing the eventual champs in the first round EVERY YEAR, dude was losing to teams like the Jazz). I'm just saying people who defend this guy are the same people who will call LeBron out for having an asterisked ring even though he dragged an injured Wade and Bosh through the playoffs.

Maybe a better question: Is Melo better than Deron Williams?

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 05:53 PM
You're giving him a pass right now. He's been on a few 50+ win teams in Denver and New York with some pretty damn solid rosters from top to bottom and has only gotten out of the first round TWICE including these past playoffs (You can't be a 50+ win team and be playing the eventual champs in the first round EVERY YEAR, dude was losing to teams like the Jazz). I'm just saying people who defend this guy are the same people who will call LeBron out for having an asterisked ring even though he dragged an injured Wade and Bosh through the playoffs.

I'm not giving him a pass. I'm simply judging him realistically. He's not Lebron, he's not one of the all-time greats like Kobe ect.

That Utah year you're referring to was the year George Karl had to leave the team due to health reasons, and Melo actually played quite well in that season.

And I'm not one of those who puts an asterisk next to Lebron's titles or discredits his play, so that's irrelevant to me.

Do you think the Knicks should have won more than 54 games? And do you think the Knicks were better than the Pacers?

:oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Why does Melo keep getting a pass? What about when he was in Denver and his squad was stacked? This current NY team is better than any of LeBron's teams in Cleveland and it's arguable that it has more talent than Wade's 2006 team.

Melo in 6 playoff series averaged from 07-10:

27ppg/7/3/1.5spg/0.5bpg on 45/37/83. That's all while facing much better opponents for the most part. If his team has talent AND the right fit, his team can potentially go deep.

And no way was last year's Knicks team better than any LeBron team in Cleveland or arguably better than the 06 Heat team.

Currently and All-time, Anthony is better.

aj1987
08-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Wade didn't face tough defenses? Dude destroyed the '06 Pistons almost single handedly.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Wade didn't face tough defenses? Dude destroyed the '06 Pistons almost single handedly.

When did I compare Melo's performance to Wade's in '06? :confusedshrug: '06 Wade was better than Melo has ever been. We don't need to have that discussion.

Young X
08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I really don't see how Melo is that much better than D-Will.

Williams contributes more to his teams offensively - especially in the playoffs
Anthony is a better rebounder
Neither play good defense
Both constantly get compared to players clearly better than them (Durant, Paul) yet outplay them in h2h matchups
Low individual accolades
Similar numbers/production
Both chubby
Both play in NY
Both got traded at the same time
Same age

Melo should be compared with D-Will not players like Wade, Kobe, Durant. etc

aj1987
08-01-2013, 06:16 PM
When did I compare Melo's performance to Wade's in '06? :confusedshrug: '06 Wade was better than Melo has ever been. We don't need to have that discussion.
Should've been clear. My bad. Wade went through equally tough defenses. That doesn't excuse his inefficiency. A superstar should find a way to overcome those defenses. For his career, Carmelo is a 42% shooter in the playoffs.

Solefade
08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm not giving him a pass. I'm simply judging him realistically. He's not Lebron, he's not one of the all-time greats like Kobe ect.

That Utah year you're referring to was the year George Karl had to leave the team due to health reasons, and Melo actually played quite well in that season.

And I'm not one of those who puts an asterisk next to Lebron's titles or discredits his play, so that's irrelevant to me.

Do you think the Knicks should have won more than 54 games? And do you think the Knicks were better than the Pacers?

:oldlol:

I agree with everything you said about the Knicks this season, I don't think they were as good as their record in the playoffs but that was mostly J.R. Smith's fault.

Smoke117
08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Better overall player? Dwyane wade, easily. Carmelo is just a scorer while Wade does it all out there when he's healthy and motivated. He's a far superior defensive player and when he's healthy nobody is better at getting to the rim.

OldSkoolball#52
08-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Not when Deron is healthy.

Not even close.

hawkfan
08-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Who's a good second player for Anthony?
Which player would blend with his skills?
Anthony has never had a real superstar as a second player. In Denver, Billups was on the downside of his career, as was Iverson. In New York, Stoudemire is hurt to do much.

airchibundo507
08-02-2013, 09:05 AM
last year:

3rd in MVP voting (behind the two best players in basketball)
All-NBA 2nd Team (because the two best players in basketball are also SFs)

54-28 record
Knicks were 7-10 without him, 47-18 with him

Yet according to people on this board he is a borderline top 10 player lol

retaxis
08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
last year:

3rd in MVP voting (behind the two best players in basketball)
All-NBA 2nd Team (because the two best players in basketball are also SFs)

54-28 record
Knicks were 7-10 without him, 47-18 with him

Yet according to people on this board he is a borderline top 10 player lol
Melo is top 5 player but not better then D Wade historically. Better at the moment but does not make great enough decisions. Remember in 03-05 all we heard is Melo Vs Lebron. Then D Wade said enough is enough!!!

316MIA
08-02-2013, 09:21 AM
This is not even a question really. In terms of being a shot jacking ball hog/One trick pony it definitely goes to Melo. If you want an all around player that will give you points, assists, defense and an overall understanding of how to win in this league then it's Wade.

DMAVS41
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Even though I'm hesitant to used words like underrated, with all of the hate Melo gets, I can safely say he's underrated on this board. He's one of the strongest perimeter players in the league, has an excellent mid-range game, has become a really dangerous 3 point shooter, posts up extremely well, either with inside power moves or the fadeaway, handles the ball well and his very dangerous off the dribble particularly with the great jab step to complement his jumper. Only thing he's struggled with his finishing around the rim, but he has such a quick second jump that he often makes up for that and can just power his way in to a basket if he doesn't get the initial shot.

The guy is a flat out lethal scorer, and at this point, a pretty respectable all around player who just led the league in scoring while leading his team to 54 wins despite countless injuries. Seriously, you'd think he was winning 20 games and in the lottery by the way people talk. Truthfully, for as much shit as Melo takes about playoff success, Chris Paul has had no more team success than Melo. Actually, Melo has advanced farther in the playoffs than Paul.

I agree with this. Melo is definitely under-rated on here...and I've actually never liked Melo.

So while he's better than some people make him out to be, the problem is that he's a career 51% TS player in the playoffs. That is horrendous for a player as good as he is. And when you combine that with only 3 playoff series wins in his career...well, it's just pretty awful.

JMT
08-02-2013, 11:43 AM

I see it the other way. Sure, he's an All Star. So are Iggy, Aldridge, Deng, etc. Lots of guys are all stars.

His supporters, on the other hand, generally want him to be acknowledged as one of the elite players in the game, a "superstar". IMO, he's not. He's Bernard King, Larry Johnson or any of the other great scoring/very little else frontcourt players that the NBA has always had. Guys who post big numbers but not much else.

Lord Leoshes
08-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Wade with one bad knee is still 10 times the defender Melo could ever be.
+ Wade is the only one who makes his teammates better cause he will actually pass the ball.

Solefade
08-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I agree with this. Melo is definitely under-rated on here...and I've actually never liked Melo.

So while he's better than some people make him out to be, the problem is that he's a career 51% TS player in the playoffs. That is horrendous for a player as good as he is. And when you combine that with only 3 playoff series wins in his career...well, it's just pretty awful.

So how is he underrated? Other than LeBron cus he seems to be nitpicked for everything, playoff success/results while being the man is the only thing that matters.

Legends66NBA7
08-02-2013, 12:47 PM
So how is he underrated?

He's underrated probably on here, due to people thinking some 2nd and 3rd year players have already surpassed him.

However, I've thought for a while he's overrated.

grantz
08-02-2013, 12:56 PM
He's underrated probably on here, due to people thinking some 2nd and 3rd year players have already surpassed him.

However, I've thought for a while he's overrated.

Wade > Anthony doesn't mean he's underrated.

Wade is just a better player period. Anthony is great but let's not get all delusional that he's equal to or better than Wade.

retaxis
08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Okay lets be real anthony has no ticker.

thabisyo
08-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Wade is just a better player period. Anthony is great but let's not get all delusional that he's equal to or better than Wade.

Too late. people are already super delusional :lol

The disrespect wade gets these days is ridiculous

Legends66NBA7
08-02-2013, 01:16 PM

Ugh, read the thread. I've already said Wade > Anthony at their best.

My stance on why Anthony would be underrated has nothing to do with Wade.

DMAVS41
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
So how is he underrated? Other than LeBron cus he seems to be nitpicked for everything, playoff success/results while being the man is the only thing that matters.

When I hear morons on here tell me that Boozer is better than him. Yes, it happened.

DMAVS41
08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I see it the other way. Sure, he's an All Star. So are Iggy, Aldridge, Deng, etc. Lots of guys are all stars.

His supporters, on the other hand, generally want him to be acknowledged as one of the elite players in the game, a "superstar". IMO, he's not. He's Bernard King, Larry Johnson or any of the other great scoring/very little else frontcourt players that the NBA has always had. Guys who post big numbers but not much else.

But what have Iggy and LA done to be thought of as better or on par with Melo?

ShaqAttack3234
08-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Yes, he has had a pretty disappointing playoff career. No doubt about that.

Nothing wrong with being Bernard King. As far as current players, what sets any current player apart from Melo based on their recent play aside from Lebron and Durant? Other than those 2, I don't think there's another player who deserved to be in a separate tier based off their play last season.

Legends66NBA7
08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Nothing wrong with being Bernard King. As far as current players, what sets any current player apart from Melo based on their recent play aside from Lebron and Durant? Other than those 2, I don't think there's another player who deserved to be in a separate tier based off their play last season.

I think you can argue Chris Paul could be that player on a separate tier. I don't think he's that far off from Durant, but head to head wise Melo has almost always bested Durant by quiet a margin, with less talent. I do think Melo should be in the discussion for Top 5, at the worst he's Top 10.

NumberSix
08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
When I hear morons on here tell me that Boozer is better than him. Yes, it happened.
When?

Unbiased_one
08-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I think you can argue Chris Paul could be that player on a separate tier. I don't think he's that far off from Durant, but head to head wise Melo has almost always bested Durant by quiet a margin, with less talent. I do think Melo should be in the discussion for Top 5, at the worst he's Top 10.

If I had to draft a player for next season, melo would be my sixth choice (behind lebron, Durant, cp3, Westbrook, rose). He is clearly top 10 and borderline top 5.

Haks
08-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Gimme Melo of CP3 anyday if the week jesus cp3 is overated as fvckk. Although id rather have a 34 yr old Kobe Bryant over melo because kobe does everything better than Melo

SamuraiSWISH
08-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Is this a serious question?

NumberSix
08-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Is this a serious question?
Shouldn't be.

SamuraiSWISH
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Shouldn't be.
Exactly. LeBron didn't bail like a coward to play with a one dimensional, evolutionary Glenn Robinson.

He piggy backed to Miami for more help to play with a TRUE MVP caliber player, and a top five SG all-time. A man who already knew how to win a championship.

NumberSix
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Exactly. LeBron didn't bail like a coward to play with a one dimensional, evolutionary Glenn Robinson.

He piggy backed to Miami for more help to play with a TRUE MVP caliber player, and a top five SG all-time. A man who already knew how to win a championship.
Exactly.

riseagainst
08-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Exactly.

forgot to switch accounts?

NumberSix
08-02-2013, 04:39 PM
forgot to switch accounts?
Yes.

chazzy
08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Battle of the 2 guys LeBron stans underrate the most. Melo currently, Wade prime. You guys dont remember how bad he looked all playoffs?

ILLsmak
08-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Now it's Melo. Prime Wade for sure.

-Smak

thabisyo
08-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Now it's Melo. Prime Wade for sure.

-Smak

:facepalm

GrapeApe
08-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Prime and career is obviously Wade, but why are so many people picking Melo right now? Wade looked like a top 5 player much of last season before he got hurt. When healthy, Wade is still a better, more impactful player than Melo.

Bird
08-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Overall player is Wade. He may not score at the same clip as Carmelo, but he is a better defender, sets up teammates better and is a better shooter (albeit a much worse 3 point shooter).

If we were going based on JUST scoring, I'd give the nod to Carmelo.

ShaqAttack3234
08-02-2013, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't really put Paul in a separate tier. Yes, Paul is more of an all around player, but I think the impact of a truly great scorer often gets underrated in these comparisons. Plus, I think ball-dominant star point guards tend to get overrated a bit, and I think this is evident when these players play on teams with talent and expectations. As is the abilty of these point guards to make their teammates better often overrated when they're not surrounded by the ideal complementary players, essentially, shooters and finishers.

And the fact that perhaps the biggest knock on Melo is team success, yet he's had more team success than Paul.

I think you could make a case for either, but based on their recent play, I don't think Paul did anything to warrant being in a tier above Melo.

Gimme Melo of CP3 anyday if the week jesus cp3 is overated as fvckk. Although id rather have a 34 yr old Kobe Bryant over melo because kobe does everything better than Melo

Kobe no longer does everything better than Melo. He's a better passer and playmaker, though. Based on last season, I think the two were very comparable, especially since Melo won more on a team with nowhere near the expectations the Lakers had(not that this tells the entire story, but worth noting)