PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 singers of all time

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Pick top 5 male singers of all time and pick top 5 female singers of all time..

MMM
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
marvin gaye is obvious but what about smokey robinson he had smooth vocals. i also like younger Micheal's voice compared to him as an adult. as for females Franklin, not sure who else, diana ross???? Gladys knight????

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:10 AM
marvin gaye is obvious but what about smokey robinson he had smooth vocals. i also like younger Micheal's voice compared to him as an adult. as for females Franklin, not sure who else, diana ross???? Gladys knight????
good list.. too bad Marvin gaye had to die like that tho.

rufuspaul
08-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I assume you're talking about rock era singers? Otherwise you'd have people like Luciano Pavorotti on the list.

Michael Jackson
James Brown
Elvis Presley
Ray Charles
Otis Redding

Diana Ross
Barbara Streisand
Ronnie Spector
Chrissie Hynde
Aretha Franklin

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I assume you're talking about rock era singers? Otherwise you'd have people like Luciano Pavorotti on the list.

Michael Jackson
James Brown
Elvis Presley
Ray Charles
Otis Redding

Diana Ross
Barbara Streisand
Ronnie Spector
Chrissy Hines
Aretha Franklin
wow, never heard of hines and spector before.

SuperPippen
08-01-2013, 09:45 AM
David Ruffin was a better singer than Marvin Gaye. Gaye even said so himself.

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
David Ruffin was a better singer than Marvin Gaye. Gaye even said so himself.
Ruffin was nice, I aint guna lie. But I still think Gaye iz better.

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
What about Mariah Carey for tha females?

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
For male vocalists, Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford are kind of "big 3" for 70s/80s metal and rightfully so, though Geoff Tate arguably belonged in that class. For slightly more recent singers, Ralf Scheepers is an incredible singer, same with Russell Allen. To go more outside metal and in more of a blues-rock vein, Paul Rodgers is definitely one of the greats, same with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes.

For female vocalists? I'm not as sure, there aren't as many in the music I typically listen to.

WayOfWade
08-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Rebecca Black's up there

rufuspaul
08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
wow, never heard of hines and spector before.

Just some personal faves of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu8tdXBkQhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSRUj31mTF4

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Rebecca Black's up there
whats some of her best songs?

TheMan
08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
For male vocalists, Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford are kind of "big 3" for 70s/80s metal and rightfully so, though Geoff Tate arguably belonged in that class. For slightly more recent singers, Ralf Scheepers is an incredible singer, same with Russell Allen. To go more outside metal and in more of a blues-rock vein, Paul Rodgers is definitely one of the greats, same with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes.

For female vocalists? I'm not as sure, there aren't as many in the music I typically listen to.
Phil Anselmo, John Bush and Axl Rose.

Chrissie Hynde

Heavincent
08-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Phil Anselmo

This.

Jackass18
08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Some of my favs:

Sam Cooke
Otis Redding
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
David Ruffin
Tony Williams of The Platters
Freddie Mercury

Aretha Franklin
Siouxsie Sioux
Kate Bush
Diana Ross
Chrissie Hynde
Joni Mitchell
Ann Wilson
Grace Slick

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Phil Anselmo, John Bush and Axl Rose.

Chrissie Hynde

Phil was incredible before he damaged his voice. One of the most versatile singers in his prime I've ever heard. Bush is very good as well. I really like Joey Belladonna, particularly when he was in his prime. Vocals on Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" album were his best, imo. As far as Axl, well, he's amazing from technical standpoint, and I like him, but he's never been one of my absolute favorites.

Smoke117
08-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Sam Cooke
Mavis Staples
Al Green
Aretha Franklin
Paul McCartney

Fresh Kid
08-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Sam Cooke
Mavis Staples
Al Green
Aretha Franklin
Paul McCartney
Al Green was nice, I think Paul McCartney was slightly overrated tho.

Lamar Doom
08-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Tough question, I read "singer" as implicit of something to do with their voice or technical ability so a lot of incredible artists (Dylan, Cash, Chuck Berry...) might be left off. Never the less:

1. Otis Redding
2. Sam Cooke
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Van Morrison

Couldn't commit to a 5th. Maybe Fogarty? Felt like Mo-townish overkill to go Stevie, MJ, Ray Charles, James Brown, etc but they're all right there. Wilson Pickett's ridiculous. Freddy Mercury, Paul or John, Mick...

LosScandalous
08-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Couldn't give you an well thought out top 5 but here's my 5 favorite

1. Jamie Foxx
2. D'Angelo
3. Mariah Carey
4. Tank
5. Bobby V.

Patrick Chewing
08-01-2013, 11:07 PM

Haha my man. Hughes is awesome.

I'd go with:

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Chris Cornelle
3. Roy Khan
4. Travis Meeks
5. Matt Barlow

Fresh Kid
08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Couldn't give you an well thought out top 5 but here's my 5 favorite

1. Jamie Foxx
2. D'Angelo
3. Mariah Carey
4. Tank
5. Bobby V.
Bobby V and Mariah Carey is nice, what about Ginuwine and Maxwell?

Fresh Kid
11-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Tough question, I read "singer" as implicit of something to do with their voice or technical ability so a lot of incredible artists (Dylan, Cash, Chuck Berry...) might be left off. Never the less:

1. Otis Redding
2. Sam Cooke
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Van Morrison

Couldn't commit to a 5th. Maybe Fogarty? Felt like Mo-townish overkill to go Stevie, MJ, Ray Charles, James Brown, etc but they're all right there. Wilson Pickett's ridiculous. Freddy Mercury, Paul or John, Mick...
Otis was nice, sam cooke too plus he had dem dance moves too, and marvin gaye was spectacular, its phucked up that his own dumb daddy killed him:facepalm

FiveRings
11-25-2013, 11:10 PM
1. Michael Jackson
2. Demi Lovato
3. Ariana Grande
4. Elvis
5. Miley Cyrus

L.Kizzle
11-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Jackie Wilson
Little Willie John
Sam Cooke
Clyde McPhatter
Little Anthony

/

Heavincent
11-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Maynard James Keenan

Big_Dogg
11-26-2013, 02:55 AM
What criteria are we using though, vocal range, smoothness, record sales etc?

As far as my Top 5, my number one male vocalist would have to be Luther Vandross, but after him it would probably go a little something like this.......hit it!!

Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
Otis Reading
Al Green
Sam Cooke

For pure coolness Teddy P and Barry White should be added to that list

Females would be

Aretha

and then any order of

Whitney
Mariah
Patti LaBelle
Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday (tough call)

Honourable mention to Celine Dion, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera