PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant: LeBron would be 'beast' in NFL

jzek
08-02-2013, 07:38 PM
OXNARD, Calif. -- Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant, a passionate basketball fan, believes LeBron James would be a "beast" in the NFL if the reigning NBA MVP made a Michael Jordan-esque midcareer decision to switch sports.

Asked a hypothetical question about James' potential if he opted to focus on football, Bryant enthusiastically discussed with ESPNDallas.com why he thinks the 6-foot-8, 250-pound Miami Heat star could be an impact player as an NFL tight end or receiver.

"That dude is just that talented," said Bryant, who is coming off a breakout season of 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. "I think it would take him probably about a good two weeks to get very acquainted with football, knowing what he's supposed to do. I think that's all he'd need with his physical ability.

"I've seen a little bit of his highlights from high school. He's got the hands, he can run the routes, he's fast enough. He could play in this league if he put it all together."

James, who calls himself a die-hard Cowboys fan, starred as a receiver at St. Vincent-St. Mary's in Akron, Ohio, before giving up the sport as a high school senior. That seems to have been a wise decision, considering that the 28-year-old James has four regular-season MVPs and two NBA Finals MVPs as he nears the middle of his prime.

But Bryant sees James' combination of height, power, hands, speed and leaping ability and sees a potentially major problem for NFL defenses, especially in the end zone.

"All he'd need to do is probably work on a little technique," Bryant said. "It's not like he's never played football before. He has played football. I think he'd be a beast in the red zone. I think he could do it. I think he could do it, seriously."

In terms of the NBA, the Cowboys had another star at camp Thursday.

Los Angeles Clippers point Chris Paul visited Cowboys camp and called it "one of the highlights of my life ..."

Paul is a die-hard fan who actually seems proud of the fact that he slept on Cowboys sheets while in college at Wake Forest.

"I'm like a little kid," Paul told reporters at the end of practice. "I've done a lot of good things in my career, but this is one of the highlights of my life. These guys probably have no clue what it means to me. I used to act like I was Ken Norton in the backyard playing middle linebacker."

christian1923
08-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Reciever? Yeah right lol

I'm putting that monster at defensive end

LongLiveTheKing
08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Of course Lebron would be a beast, he was getting scholarships for football.

Eric Cartman
08-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Did that b*tch say "fast enough"?

GOBB
08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Bron picked the right sport to beast in.

Reciever? Yeah right lol

Yeah I always felt he would be put on defense. Be another Julius Peppers.

DuMa
08-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Reciever? Yeah right lol

fail. LBJ would be similar to Calvin Johnson or a hybrid of Megatron and Gronkowski. you're wasting his talents at DE.

imdaman99
08-02-2013, 08:32 PM
lebron would get popped over the middle and think twice. he would be more like hail mary sensation randy moss. how many times do you remember moss going over the middle to get popped by a safety?

GOBB
08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
fail. LBJ would be similar to Calvin Johnson or a hybrid of Megatron and Gronkowski. you're wasting his talents at DE.

He would not be similar to megatron. Depending on his hands he could play TE. But thats not where the big money is at TE. And 3 years in college no way a coach doesnt try him at defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVw50e_udg8

Jadeveon Clowney 6'6 270-275

GOBB
08-02-2013, 08:36 PM
lebron would get popped over the middle and think twice. he would be more like hail mary sensation randy moss. how many times do you remember moss going over the middle to get popped by a safety?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vEh9xD9qdo

:lol

Wally450
08-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Could you imagine LBJ playing TE with Tom Brady throwing to him? The numbers he would put up would be insane.

fpliii
08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Not a LeBron guy, but an observation here:

There still seems to be a prevailing belief that NFL athletes are on another level from the best guys in the NBA.

Not sure where it came from, but it needs to die. Some incredible talents play football, but c'mon... No clue how you'd get that impression from watching the top athletes in both leagues.

christian1923
08-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I think he's to big and tall to run crisp enough nfl routes to be as good as megatron. He wouldn't be able to get great separation from a corner but I mean he'd still be successful because he could be more of a receiver that uses his body to get open like a Fitzgerald. But I think he'd be way more suited to be a pass rusher, and his talents wouldn't be "wasted" cause that's a more important position.

christian1923
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Could you imagine LBJ playing TE with Tom Brady throwing to him? The numbers he would put up would be insane.
Maybe if he practiced how to play football for 2 years first lol

ProfessorMurder
08-02-2013, 09:27 PM
A dude like John Lynch would make LeBron spit out his own teeth.

RedBlackAttack
08-02-2013, 09:28 PM
I saw James play in person during his sophomore year in high school... Good, not great. Comparisons to Calvin f#cking Johnson in this thread? :oldlol:

He was built for basketball. He's the greatest high school basketball player I've ever seen. I thought he was good enough as a sophomore to go to the NBA. Meanwhile, he wouldn't be in the my top 20 list of sophomore football players I've seen in high school.

It's not as easy as just tossing on pads and becoming the best player on the field. There's a lot more to it than that.

BasedTom
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM
He's going to play TE on the Dolphins and win the Super Bowl

Eric Cartman
08-02-2013, 09:42 PM
He's going to play TE on the Dolphins and win the Super Bowl

QB = Not that good.

Ca$H
08-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Did that b*tch say "fast enough"?

LeBron runs a 4.6 40 according to himself so 4.6 is just fast enough. Show some respect to the future GOAT WR, Dez.

Yao Ming's Foot
08-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Hasn't Lebron accomplished enough in real life yet that his sycophants can ease up on the hypothetical accomplishments yet? :facepalm

Lebron the highschool football player and NBA star doesn't mean anything when it comes to the NFL.

BasedTom
08-02-2013, 10:14 PM
QB = Not that good.
Tannehill finally has weapons around him. Next year will probably be a breakout year for him. With the Patriots in decline as well as the Jets and Bills sucking, we might compete for the Division Title.

And in a hypothetical scenario where Lebron joins the Dolphins- well then the team is possibly even better.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-02-2013, 10:40 PM
It's more likely to pull some random athlete out of the NFL to successfully play in the NBA than the other way.

IGOTGAME
08-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I saw James play in person during his sophomore year in high school... Good, not great. Comparisons to Calvin f#cking Johnson in this thread? :oldlol:

He was built for basketball. He's the greatest high school basketball player I've ever seen. I thought he was good enough as a sophomore to go to the NBA. Meanwhile, he wouldn't be in the my top 20 list of sophomore football players I've seen in high school.

It's not as easy as just tossing on pads and becoming the best player on the field. There's a lot more to it than that.

You are obviously now biased against Lebron as much as you were biased to him before.

Lebron would be an all pro WR/TE in the NFL after a year getting used to the game. He is just that talented and physically talented. People saying he would get popped and cry...guy is 6"8 260 and this is while training for basketball. More than likely he is gonna be running over people like the freak of nature that he is...

IGOTGAME
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
It's more likely to pull some random athlete out of the NFL to successfully play in the NBA than the other way.
This is the dumbest shit I ever heard. Basketball is a skill gam compared to football which is way more based on athleticism and physicality.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-02-2013, 10:48 PM
**** off. If you switched Kevin Love with Jonathan Ogden, Ogden would at least be able to rebound, defend, and give 6 fouls. Love would get raped on his first play.

Carbine
08-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Firm believer in LeBron being an absolute nightare in the NFL.

His combination of size and athletic ability would be unmatched at the TE spot.

Good luck trying to defend him with 6' LB'ers or 5'10 slot corners.

The Iron Fist
08-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Lebron missed 7 games for a hangnail in his pinky. He is not NFL material by any means.

OJ SIMPSON 2.0
08-02-2013, 10:58 PM
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/lebron-james5.jpg?w=300

What a beast.

The Iron Fist
08-02-2013, 11:02 PM
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/lebron-james5.jpg?w=300

What a beast.
Exactly.

christian1923
08-02-2013, 11:11 PM
You are obviously now biased against Lebron as much as you were biased to him before.

Lebron would be an all pro WR/TE in the NFL after a year getting used to the game. He is just that talented and physically talented. People saying he would get popped and cry...guy is 6"8 260 and this is while training for basketball. More than likely he is gonna be running over people like the freak of nature that he is...
Trucking people at 6'8..? So much leg room to easily tackle him. I mean unless he's hurdling everyone then that would be a problem lol

HorryIsMyMVP
08-03-2013, 12:39 AM
So lebron took enough hgh to also play in the NFL give him a medal.

Derka
08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
No free throws in the NFL, though :(

buddha
08-03-2013, 01:02 AM
A dude like John Lynch would make LeBron spit out his own teeth.

Good thing John Lynch is retired and the NFL is slowly turning into a two hand touch league. They're eliminating big hits from the NFL, where have you been?

LeBron would be like Jimmy Graham on crack.. Jimmy Graham had 99 receptions, 1310 yards and 11 TDs in 2011. I think it's safe to say LeBron could have a 110 receptions, 1500 yards 15 TDs type season if he played with a good QB.

But LeBron made the right decision in playing basketball, it's where the money was and the potential to be a goat.

buddha
08-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Trucking people at 6'8..? So much leg room to easily tackle him. I mean unless he's hurdling everyone then that would be a problem lol

LeBron is 6'7 without shoes, Jimmy Graham TE for the Saints is 6'7, Rob Gronkowski is 6'6 and they truck people just fine.

Current Lebron would have to play WR though, no way this dude could block DE/LB's. He would need to put on around 15 pounds of muscle before he could play TE.

DuMa
08-03-2013, 01:12 AM
I think he's to big and tall to run crisp enough nfl routes to be as good as megatron. He wouldn't be able to get great separation from a corner but I mean he'd still be successful because he could be more of a receiver that uses his body to get open like a Fitzgerald. But I think he'd be way more suited to be a pass rusher, and his talents wouldn't be "wasted" cause that's a more important position.

James tends to struggle in the half court when matched up against a bigger body. People want him to shoot but he always wants to drive so the bigger bodies give him lots of space. This is just in basketball though. I have no idea how it would translate for him in football as a pass rusher because all he has to do is rush the QB with a big ass OL in the way, instead of in basketball where he is always seemingly torn to shoot or drive when mis matched.

LBJ has played reciever before so i think his talent is best utilized in something he has previous experience and thus can build off it. plus he would be free running most of the time against really small CBs or secondary defenders giving him a lot of advantage.

Lakers2877
08-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Reciever? Yeah right lol

Lol he would get abused bad playing d end. Put him at receiver where he could use his speed and leaping ability

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 01:46 AM

:roll:

You've never seen him play football. I have.

He made the right decision with basketball. Maurice Clarett was 10x the player James was at the same grade level. That's just a fact and anyone who saw both guys wouldn't argue with it.

You are imagining what James would be on a football field. I saw it.

And, I said the same things back when this topic came up while he was in Cleveland (and it did... often). He wasn't cut out for football the way he was for basketball. He was still very good for a high school player, but nothing like you're envisioning.

VIntageNOvel
08-03-2013, 01:50 AM
carry/travelling is legal in football so yes

bmulls
08-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Today right now I could only see him playing WR. I don't think he's strong enough to block in order to play TE, and he's no where near strong enough to play DE. He's obviously not weak but he's not "NFL strong" without training for it.

If he had been playing football all his life and training for it, with his genetics he could be a beast at DE or TE.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:14 AM

You've never seen him play football. I have.

He made the right decision with basketball. Maurice Clarett was 10x the player James was at the same grade level. That's just a fact and anyone who saw both guys wouldn't argue with it.

You are imagining what James would be on a football field. I saw it.

And, I said the same things back when this topic came up while he was in Cleveland (and it did... often). He wasn't cut out for football the way he was for basketball. He was still very good for a high school player, but nothing like you're envisioning.

Why would I care how good 15 year old Lebron was at playing football compared to another highly touted guy tho. Lebron turned out to be one of the biggest physical freaks in the history of man kind. As long as he could end up being fundamentally sound he is an all pro WR. He is too big, too strong and fast(in some combination for 99 % of the players in the NFL, and I'm being generous by only saying 99%).

Marchesk
08-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Is Diaw giving him a ten yard cushion off the line?

We are talking about the same guy who complained when Kirk Heinrich tackled him, right?

But seriously, jumping from one professional sport to another is no easy task. You think the NFL hasn't seen it's share of physical freaks who couldn't make it? Lebron hasn't been playing football while pursuing his basketball career, and now he's just going to be great because he's physically gifted? Please. The NFL is a different animal than basketball.

Consider that Brock Lesner tried out for the Vikings and couldn't make it.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Why would I care how good 15 year old Lebron was at playing football compared to another highly touted guy tho. Lebron turned out to be one of the biggest physical freaks in the history of man kind. As long as he could end up being fundamentally sound he is an all pro WR. He is too big, too strong and fast(in some combination for 99 % of the players in the NFL, and I'm being generous by only saying 99%).

Please explain why he wouldn't be an all pro wide out. Are teams going to be able to single cover this 6"8 freak of nature with hands, agility, speed and insane jumping ability? He is just too big and too talented.

Edit: opps meant to add on to the other post.

Marchesk
08-03-2013, 02:17 AM

He's not faster than the secondary guys. And he's not faster than all the LBs. Plus, we're talking football speed in full gear, not court speed. We're talking being able to run routes with precise timing. We're talking being able to take hits. Is Lebron used to being hit? Really hit?

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Is Diaw giving him a ten yard cushion off the line?

We are talking about the same guy who complained when Kirk Heinrich tackled him, right?

But seriously, jumping from one professional sport to another is no easy task. You think the NFL hasn't seen it's share of physical freaks who couldn't make it? Lebron hasn't been playing football while pursuing his basketball career, and now he's just going to be great because he's physically gifted? Please. The NFL is a different animal than basketball.

Consider that Brock Lesner tried out for the Vikings and couldn't make it.

You can't really look at precedent when talking about Lebron James because there isn't another person like him on this earth.

Marchesk
08-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Maybe we should put Usain Bolt on the other side of the field. What a duo at WR. They can't run routes for shit, but man do they tear up defenses.

Marchesk
08-03-2013, 02:19 AM
You can't really look at precedent when talking about Lebron James because there isn't another person like him on this earth.

There's no other person like him out of the seven billion? Okay.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Yes. He is that rare of an athlete. Nobody else walking the face of the earth is like Bron. I'm not even a fan, just telling it like it is...

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:22 AM
Maybe we should put Usain Bolt on the other side of the field. What a duo at WR. They can't run routes for shit, but man do they tear up defenses.
Using bolt isn't as athletic as Lebron James. He is a great sprinter. Lebron IMO could have play multiple professional sports. If he decided to box, he'd prob be heavy champ. If he played soccer, Might have revolutionized the game. If he played football, skies the limit.

secund2nun
08-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Nope, not really.

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 02:28 AM
He was a physical freak on the basketball floor as a sophomore. His talent had already completely translated. Like I said, I think he could have performed in the NBA by his sophomore year. That's how good he was already at that stage.

His physical tools did not translate the same way onto a football field. It happens. He was just another good player from the Youngstown/Akron/Cleveland area, but hardly the standout prospect in his class.

I never doubt James' talent on a basketball court, regardless of where he's playing and I was never over the top about James when he was in Cleveland. That's just an easy way to dismiss an opinion that you don't happen to agree with.

He's an all-time great player.

I saw guys at the same level of James who did go onto have good or great NFL careers... Charles Woodson, Robert Smith, Desmond Howard, Ben Roethlisberger, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, Mario Manningham, Nick Mangold, etc.

James was simply not in that class of football player. You can say it doesn't matter and that he was young so whatever, but he was already one of the greatest HS basketball players I had ever seen and soon became THE best.

Yes, he's a phenomenal athlete, but his talents just didn't translate with the same impact on a football field. I'll take what I saw over some random imagined impact made by someone who has never seen the guy play the sport.

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Using bolt isn't as athletic as Lebron James. He is a great sprinter. Lebron IMO could have play multiple professional sports. If he decided to box, he'd prob be heavy champ. If he played soccer, Might have revolutionized the game. If he played football, skies the limit.
:facepalm

Based on.... ?

I assume you've seen him fight? You realize boxing and basketball take entirely different talents/skillsets/mindsets, right?

Electric Slide
08-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Lebron probably was playing safe when he played football in high school to prevent an injury from stopping him from making it to the NBA and making millions.

He could play in the NFL. He probably wouldn't be like Calvin Johnson, but he would be good.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:34 AM
:facepalm

Based on.... ?

I assume you've seen him fight? You realize boxing and basketball take entirely different talents/skillsets/mindsets, right?
I said if he decided to box...meaning if he started from childhood. So no, I haven't seen this hypothetical version of Lebron box. But I'd lie him as prospect over anyone on the planet, at least enough where winning a belt wouldn't be too crazy. Guy is a freak of nature, I've come to understand it.

I guess there a lot of agile 6"8 guys with top .000001% athletic profiles and measurables out there in the heavy weight division.

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 02:38 AM
I said if he decided to box...meaning if he started from childhood. So no, I haven't seen this hypothetical version of Lebron box. But I'd lie him as prospect over anyone on the planet, at least enough where winning a belt wouldn't be too crazy. Guy is a freak of nature, I've come to understand it.
He is a freak of nature... On the basketball court.

I can even understand why you're projecting him to be so great on a football field, though some of your statements are hyperbolic. I think you're wrong based on what I saw, but I can understand why you are thinking the way you are.

But boxing? There's literally nothing James does on the basketball floor that would give you insight into how great he'd be in the squared circle. For all you know he has the worst china chin ever. Or brittle hands. Or any number of defects that sidetrack careers every day of the week.

ProfessorMurder
08-03-2013, 02:41 AM

Is LeBron's dick actually in your mouth right now?

deja vu
08-03-2013, 02:42 AM
No doubt he could make it to the NFL had he decided to early in life, but would he be an NFL superstar or All-Star? You can't just pick one athlete and say that he'll be great in another sport.

deja vu
08-03-2013, 02:44 AM
You're a retard. :facepalm

What's next? He'll be a curling world champion or a chess grandmaster? :roll:

Yeah, he would revolutionize soccer. Dude is clumsy as f*ck. :lol

Marchesk
08-03-2013, 02:46 AM
No doubt he could make it to the NFL had he decided to early in life, but would he be an NFL superstar or All-Star? You can't just pick one athlete and say that he'll be great in another sport.

Exactly. We saw that with Jordan.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 02:47 AM
He is a freak of nature... On the basketball court.

I can even understand why you're projecting him to be so great on a football field, though some of your statements are hyperbolic. I think you're wrong based on what I saw, but I can understand why you are thinking the way you are.

But boxing? There's literally nothing James does on the basketball floor that would give you insight into how great he'd be in the squared circle. For all you know he has the worst china chin ever. Or brittle hands. Or any number of defects that sidetrack careers every day of the week.

He is 6"8 extremely coordinated and agile and has a good reach. Looking at the heavyweight division, that seems rare. He also has .00001% genes.

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 02:50 AM
I would agree. He had enough athletic talent to go to a major college for football and maybe make the NFL based on what I saw. It would have taken a lot of work, but he had the natural athleticism to get there if he put his mind to it.

That said, anyone claiming he'd automatically be the next Jimmy Graham or, hilariously, Calvin Johnson? Absurd.

He is 6"8 extremely coordinated and agile and has a good reach. Looking at the heavyweight division, that seems rare. He also has .00001% genes.
Are you trolling me right now? Serious question.

deja vu
08-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Question is, can he take punishment? Boxing is not just about hitting your opponent, it's also about absorbing the blows. How's his chin?

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Question is, can he take punishment? Boxing is not just about hitting your opponent, it's also about absorbing the blows. How's his chin?
More to the point, can he throw accurate, powerful combinations? Does he possess the kind of footwork it takes to be an elite boxer, maybe the most important aspect of the sweet science? How does he react to getting hit? How's his chin?

This is madness.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 03:04 AM
More to the point, can he throw accurate, powerful combinations? Does he possess the kind of footwork it takes to be an elite boxer, maybe the most important aspect of the sweet science? How does he react to getting hit? How's his chin?

This is madness.

If I had to pick a child(not ncluding HOF boxers) to train up to be a boxer...Lebron is the guy I'd pick over billions. It's possible he would have issues with brittle hands or his chin but IMO its equally possible he would overwhelm most guys with size and speed and reach. Lets not act like Lebrons insane coordination would not shine though either. Look at one of these former college football dudes fighting and tell me Lebron is more talented by far.

Same thing I said about Shaq. Normal rules do not apply because they are freaks.

sportjames23
08-03-2013, 03:13 AM
If I had to pick a child(not ncluding HOF boxers) to train up to be a boxer...Lebron is the guy I'd pick over billions. It's possible he would have issues with brittle hands or his chin but IMO its equally possible he would overwhelm most guys with size and speed and reach. Lets not act like Lebrons insane coordination would not shine though either. Look at one of these former college football dudes fighting and tell me Lebron is more talented by far.

Same thing I said about Shaq. Normal rules do not apply because they are freaks.

I haven't seen Lebron stans stroke Lebron's dick as much as you have in this thread, dude. :facepalm

sundizz
08-03-2013, 03:25 AM
I haven't seen Lebron stans stroke Lebron's dick as much as you have in this thread, dude. :facepalm

It's true though. If you took Shaq or Lebron as a kid and started training them as a boxer instead of basketball/football etc, they'd be unstoppable in the ring most likely. Maybe they would have a glass chin...but more likely they'd be a good - one of the best ever heavyweights in my opinion. Young Shaq was so fast, so explosive and so strong and so coordinated. If he had trained from 3 to 19 as a boxer...i think he could of been absolutely devastating.

RedBlackAttack
08-03-2013, 03:31 AM
It's true though. If you took Shaq or Lebron as a kid and started training them as a boxer instead of basketball/football etc, they'd be unstoppable in the ring most likely. Maybe they would have a glass chin...but more likely they'd be a good - one of the best ever heavyweights in my opinion. Young Shaq was so fast, so explosive and so strong and so coordinated. If he had trained from 3 to 19 as a boxer...i think he could of been absolutely devastating.

No words.

buddha
08-03-2013, 03:34 AM
He was a physical freak on the basketball floor as a sophomore. His talent had already completely translated. Like I said, I think he could have performed in the NBA by his sophomore year. That's how good he was already at that stage.

His physical tools did not translate the same way onto a football field. It happens. He was just another good player from the Youngstown/Akron/Cleveland area, but hardly the standout prospect in his class.

I never doubt James' talent on a basketball court, regardless of where he's playing and I was never over the top about James when he was in Cleveland. That's just an easy way to dismiss an opinion that you don't happen to agree with.

He's an all-time great player.

I saw guys at the same level of James who did go onto have good or great NFL careers... Charles Woodson, Robert Smith, Desmond Howard, Ben Roethlisberger, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, Mario Manningham, Nick Mangold, etc.

James was simply not in that class of football player. You can say it doesn't matter and that he was young so whatever, but he was already one of the greatest HS basketball players I had ever seen and soon became THE best.

Yes, he's a phenomenal athlete, but his talents just didn't translate with the same impact on a football field. I'll take what I saw over some random imagined impact made by someone who has never seen the guy play the sport.

Bro, if he played high school football as a junior and senior when he actually started to grow I'm sure he would have dominated. It would be impossible for a kid with his size, speed, quickness, coordination and swag to not ball. LeBron was only 6'4 when he played football. If he played when he was 6'7 and had some muscle on him he woulda made those high school kids look like middle school kids.

bdreason
08-03-2013, 03:36 AM
He could definitely play in the NFL, at multiple positions... but he obviously wouldn't be as dominant, wouldn't get paid nearly as much, and would have to take hits.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to play football over basketball.

bdreason
08-03-2013, 03:38 AM

Combat sports are a completely different ball game.

thabisyo
08-03-2013, 03:44 AM
he would definately start but I do not follow the sport but based on the little I have seen of it, he can certainly be legit star

deja vu
08-03-2013, 03:44 AM
So if LeBron or Shaq trained for MMA instead of basketball, would they be awesome too? :lol

deja vu
08-03-2013, 03:45 AM
he would definately start but I do not follow the sport but based on the little I have seen of it, he can certainly be legit star
LMAO you don't follow the sport and you knew little of it, but you are certain that he would be a star? :lol LeBron stans. :facepalm

thabisyo
08-03-2013, 03:49 AM
LMAO you don't follow the sport and you knew little of it, but you are certain that he would be a star? :lol LeBron stans. :facepalm

It Like rugby except you pass foward and take breaks every 20 seconds :confusedshrug:

Nothing special about your so called "football" but hardly ever kick the ball

sundizz
08-03-2013, 04:18 AM
So if LeBron or Shaq trained for MMA instead of basketball, would they be awesome too? :lol

What reason do you have to think that Lebron, or Shaq, if they trained wouldn't be good at boxing? They may not be the best ever, but they physically have a huge advantage over most heavyweights (speed, quickness, explosiveness, coordination). These all would translate well to boxing. The skill...we really don't know.

I mean come on, Kendall Gill at age freakin 37 took up boxing and went 4-0. I'm sure he fought scrubs...but it's not like he went out there and got dominated.

He fought a guy that had 6 pro fights at the time, 12 pro fights, and two fights against people debuting. Not great competition.

Herschel Walker took up MMA at 51. He went 2-0 (I assumed he stopped after this) and he beat a guy that sucked and a guy that was 4-1. Not bad for a 51 year old turned MMA fighter.

These NBA guys are super athletes...especially Bron and Shaq. Absolutely no reason, that with training from a young age, that they wouldn't of been top tier boxers.

deja vu
08-03-2013, 04:22 AM
It Like rugby except you pass foward and take breaks every 20 seconds :confusedshrug:

Nothing special about your so called "football" but hardly ever kick the ball
My "football" is the one where you kick the ball with the feet all the time. :lol

So why did you say that LeBron would be a star in the NFL when you hardly even watch it? :roll:

thabisyo
08-03-2013, 04:29 AM
My "football" is the one where you kick the ball with the feet all the time. :lol

So why did you say that LeBron would be a star in the NFL when you hardly even watch it? :roll:

I am not American. I find the game boring with too many ads and annoying helmets, and protective clothing. I have seen some games and an athletes can shift from one game to another. He played football in high school and was legit. He can play rugby too :confusedshrug: and I watch that all the time

thabisyo
08-03-2013, 04:39 AM

I remember you, you are that clown that use to have Wayne Rooney's pic,
by the way british and irish lions squad sucks :roll:

deja vu
08-03-2013, 04:47 AM
What reason do you have to think that Lebron, or Shaq, if they trained wouldn't be good at boxing? They may not be the best ever, but they physically have a huge advantage over most heavyweights (speed, quickness, explosiveness, coordination). These all would translate well to boxing. The skill...we really don't know.
They would have the physical advantages you mentioned, sure, but do they have the natural talent for boxing? That's a big question mark. It's not like elite boxers are unathletic stiffs themselves. You can't find anyone faster or quicker or more coordinated inside the boxing ring than Floyd Mayweather or prime Manny Pacquiao (or Muhammad Ali in the heavyweight division). LeBron is quick but his footwork leaves much to be desired (maybe he's musclebound? :lol ). Shaq is quick in basketball relative to his size but is his handspeed or reflexes that good?

And how about their punching power? Bigger doesn't mean that you can pack a much bigger wallop. Earnie Shavers weighed around 210 pounds but was regarded as one of the hardest hitting punchers in history. Then you have Valuev who is a 7-foot giant but cannot KO a fly.

Their footwork? LeBron sucks in that department. Boxers train all their lives to get excellent footwork, and still the vast majority fail to be elite in that department. Their chin? This is where athleticism can't help you.

All in all, too many variables for one to become an elite boxer. So far, there's no indication that LeBron or Shaq have what it takes to be a top tier boxer aside from size and athleticism, which are not lacking in the sport of boxing.

deja vu
08-03-2013, 04:48 AM
I remember you, you are that clown that use to have Wayne Rooney's pic,
by the way british and irish lions squad sucks :roll:
I'm not English though, and I'm a Manchester United fan. Suck that! :roll:

thabisyo
08-03-2013, 04:52 AM
I'm not English though, and I'm a Manchester United fan. Suck that! :roll:

Lol my bad :roll:

christian1923
08-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Disrespecting the reciever position :facepalm

Trollsmasher
08-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah, LeBron would own the handegg.

pauk
08-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Am not a fan of "foot" ball and dont have all the knowledge in the world about that sport but i wonder how Lebron would do at Quarter Back? His court vision & passing at that height logically seems to me it could be a huge advantage, just sitting there behind everybody looking literally over everybody and lazer beaming that brown egg.. :)

MMM
08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
LeBron would be an unstoppable redzone target.
he has 7 to 8 inches and 50 pounds on the average TE, so all you have to do is throw it up and let him come down with the rebound. If he is able to avg the amount of rebounds he does in the NBA with 7 footers than i think he would be able to translate to the NFL.

cos88
08-03-2013, 12:46 PM
water is wet
kobe is a rapist

LongLiveTheKing
08-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Am not a fan of "foot" ball and dont have all the knowledge in the world about that sport but i wonder how Lebron would do at Quarter Back? His court vision & passing at that height logically seems to me it could be a huge advantage, just sitting there behind everybody looking literally over everybody and lazer beaming that brown egg.. :)
No Lebron wouldn't be able to throw a football like a QB it takes years of training. He could be a reciever though.

GOBB
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Tim Tebow cant cut it at QB and he's played the position for years. No way on Earth Bron could cut it at QB. Better off as a TE or a pass rusher on defense which is more wise financially and celeb wise.

LeBron would be an unstoppable redzone target.
he has 7 to 8 inches and 50 pounds on the average TE, so all you have to do is throw it up and let him come down with the rebound. If he is able to avg the amount of rebounds he does in the NBA with 7 footers than i think he would be able to translate to the NFL.

Plenty of tall, big targets in the NFL that dont do this tho. So how is Bron automatically going to excel here?

DaSeba5
08-03-2013, 01:05 PM

He would be better at TE, WR, or as a pass rusher. QB takes years of development. Those other positions need to develop too, but QB needs to learn a lot more.

GOBB
08-03-2013, 01:06 PM
He could definitely play in the NFL, at multiple positions... but he obviously wouldn't be as dominant, wouldn't get paid nearly as much, and would have to take hits.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to play football over basketball.

Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates would like to have a chit chat with you.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Plenty of tall, big targets in the NFL that dont do this tho. So how is Bron automatically going to excel here?

please list the 6"8 targets with hands, coordination and athleticism of a Lebron James that don't do this.

GOBB
08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
They would have the physical advantages you mentioned, sure, but do they have the natural talent for boxing? That's a big question mark. It's not like elite boxers are unathletic stiffs themselves. You can't find anyone faster or quicker or more coordinated inside the boxing ring than Floyd Mayweather or prime Manny Pacquiao (or Muhammad Ali in the heavyweight division). LeBron is quick but his footwork leaves much to be desired (maybe he's musclebound? :lol ). Shaq is quick in basketball relative to his size but is his handspeed or reflexes that good?

And how about their punching power? Bigger doesn't mean that you can pack a much bigger wallop. Earnie Shavers weighed around 210 pounds but was regarded as one of the hardest hitting punchers in history. Then you have Valuev who is a 7-foot giant but cannot KO a fly.

Their footwork? LeBron sucks in that department. Boxers train all their lives to get excellent footwork, and still the vast majority fail to be elite in that department. Their chin? This is where athleticism can't help you.

All in all, too many variables for one to become an elite boxer. So far, there's no indication that LeBron or Shaq have what it takes to be a top tier boxer aside from size and athleticism, which are not lacking in the sport of boxing.

Shaq threw a punch at Brad Miller and missed
Shaq threw a punch at Charles Barkley and missed

Both misses were bad.

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates would like to have a chit chat with you.

neither would have had an NBA career, at least not a good one.

Basketball is more money and guaranteed money. Oh, you also won't have to deal with all the concussion bs.

GOBB
08-03-2013, 01:26 PM
please list the 6"8 targets with hands, coordination and athleticism of a Lebron James that don't do this.

Riley Cooper is 6'3 220+ and hasnt dominated the redzone as a target. Ramses Barden is 6'6 220+ and hasnt dominated as a redzone target. There are plenty of tall targets in the NFL 6'3 and up weighing 220+ easy. Its not as simple as people like yourself make it out to be.

And dont even dare highlight his height at 6'8 when you need to do some homework and tell me the average size of a CB. Because these Wrs are considered big in the NFL.

Lakers2877
08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
People are really underestimating how physical the nfl is. I played cfb against a lot of big boys and the nfl is at another level. He def is athletic enough but it would be interesting to see how he would react after taking a shot to his rib cage by troy polamalu.

Lakers2877
08-03-2013, 01:30 PM
neither would have had an NBA career, at least not a good one.

Basketball is more money and guaranteed money. Oh, you also won't have to deal with all the concussion bs.yeah that was silly. tony was a pf at 6'4. He wouldn't have made a D league team

GOBB
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
yeah that was silly. tony was a pf at 6'4. He wouldn't have made a D league team

The irony you labeling something silly then posting something silly right afterwards?

Future football Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez isn't just bragging when he says he could play in the NBA.

In fact, he did.

In 2002, Gonzalez, who was in a contract dispute with the Kansas City Chiefs, was invited by the Miami Heat to take part in their Summer League. They had invited 18 players to try out, and Gonzalez was one of the 12 to make it.

"Confidently speaking, I believed I could play in the NBA," said Gonzalez, who averaged seven points and five rebounds at the University of California. "I'd be like a 6-5 power forward. Granted, there had been only one who had done it successfully and that was Charles Barkley."

Gonzalez, who was a little rusty, played 29 minutes and had 11 rebounds and three points. His team was winning, and he felt vindication.

"Coaches told me, 'If you want to play this game for a living, you could do it,'" Gonzalez said. "They then wondered why I'd do it since I was playing football so well."

Heat assistant coach Stan Van Gundy, who was coaching the summer games, said: "If we were flat-out playing, with no other objective than to win, he would be playing [a lot], based on what he showed tonight."

That's all Gonzalez needed, and he headed back to the NFL. The 13-time Pro Bowler is returning this fall for the Atlanta Falcons for his 17th season.

"They said I could play. That's all I needed to hear. It was music to my ears," Gonzalez said. "Or maybe they could have just been lying to me."

Gonzalez, who has become a big ambassador for the city of Atlanta, is taking part in the Final Four festivities this weekend promoting a men's scalp therapy product. Playbook had a few minutes to talk about the city and what's ahead.

Yup he couldnt even make an NBDL team. :rolleyes:

IGOTGAME
08-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Riley Cooper is 6'3 220+ and hasnt dominated the redzone as a target. Ramses Barden is 6'6 220+ and hasnt dominated as a redzone target. There are plenty of tall targets in the NFL 6'3 and up weighing 220+ easy. Its not as simple as people like yourself make it out to be.

And dont even dare highlight his height at 6'8 when you need to do some homework and tell me the average size of a CB. Because these Wrs are considered big in the NFL.

I know the size of CBs but that doesn't make his height irrelevant. He can simply get to balls that these guys have no ability to get too.

also, I didn't know that these guys had Lebron James athleticism. Interesting.

Lakers2877
08-03-2013, 01:46 PM
The irony you labeling something silly then posting something silly right afterwards?

Yup he couldnt even make an NBDL team. :rolleyes:
Lol ok bud.

I'm from Huntington Beach. I grew up with Tony. He averaged 6pts a game playing limited min off the bench at Cal. He was not an nba caliber player. He's 6'4 power forward. You see a lot of 6'4 power forwards in the nba were role players in college? Of course you don't.

tazb
08-03-2013, 01:51 PM
No shit. The greatest athlete of all-time could and would dominate any sport if he chose to play it. Hockey, tennis, soccer, volleyball, baseball, swimming, etc.

Trollsmasher
08-03-2013, 01:54 PM
No shit. The greatest athlete of all-time could and would dominate any sport if he chose to play it. Hockey, tennis, soccer, volleyball, baseball, swimming, etc.
BS, maybe as a goalkeeper.

Lakers2877
08-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Lol at Lebron hitting a 95mph slider

GOBB
08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Lol ok bud.

I'm from Huntington Beach. I grew up with Tony. He averaged 6pts a game playing limited min off the bench at Cal. He was not an nba caliber player. He's 6'4 power forward. You see a lot of 6'4 power forwards in the nba were role players in college? Of course you don't.

Who knows what Tony could have did if given a chance or he pursued basketball. You were proven wrong saying he wouldnt make a D league team. Yet he was productive in summer league during a holdout with football. Summer league teams are not that drastically different from D league teams either. you then have a coach in SVG who said he could have played. Kudos for growing up with the guy. How does that disprove anything here again? It doesnt bud. You could always leave out the hyperbole tho. :cheers:

And I dont think Tony G would have been a beast in the NBA. I simply said he could have played. At best would have been a role player off the bench. Same with Gates. Not even arguing how good. But they chose football over basketball which was the right decision as Bron did with basketball over football.

GOBB
08-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I know the size of CBs but that doesn't make his height irrelevant. He can simply get to balls that these guys have no ability to get too.

also, I didn't know that these guys had Lebron James athleticism. Interesting.

I guess.

Sarcasm

imdaman99
08-03-2013, 02:31 PM
if lebron would sign with an NFL team, i would sign boris diaw to lock him up :rockon:

can you imagine the psychological edge every team would have on him? boris diaws can be found as free agents all throughout the year. greatest defensive player of all time :bowdown:

PS flopping from WRs isn't taken seriously. imagine if a CB puts his hands on him, lebron is gonna fall to the ground and wonder why ref did not call a holding or illegal hands downfield penalty on him. ref would tell him to man up :roll:

AirFederer
08-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Too scared, sorry

JimmyMcAdocious
08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Lol at Lebron hitting a 95mph slider

LeBron would be the GOAT pitcher tho. See those passes he makes? I bet if LeBron focused on pitching his entire life, he could probably get up to a 110 mph curve ball.

sundizz
08-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Let's just end all this nonsense right here. You are disparaging Nikolai Valuev?? Lol. His record was 50-2-1, and he was the WBA champ (twice).

Some relevant quotes about him:

"Nikolai was also involved in athletics. He specialized in the discus throw. But despite his excellence in sports in childhood, it was difficult for Nikolai to play with other children because of his sluggishness."

Nikolai Valuev started boxing rather late, at the age of 20.

Now, you are telling me that Shaq...a man with the better physical proportion as this guy, with 10x the quickness and explosive power, would not be a dominant boxer if he training from a young age? Ya'll are out of your minds. Skill is one thing..when it comes to people of a similar size. Both Shaq and Lebron James are physical freaks of nature. Especially a physical sport like boxing...even with minimal skill they could be professional at worse, and more likely, all-time greats if they can mix just a little skill with their absolute advantage in physical gifts.

GOBB
08-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Now, you are telling me that Shaq...a man with the better physical proportion as this guy, with 10x the quickness and explosive power, would not be a dominant boxer if he training from a young age? Ya'll are out of your minds. Skill is one thing..when it comes to people of a similar size. Both Shaq and Lebron James are physical freaks of nature. Especially a physical sport like boxing...even with minimal skill they could be professional at worse, and more likely, all-time greats if they can mix just a little skill with their absolute advantage in physical gifts.

sportjames23
08-03-2013, 03:41 PM

And just who is this greatest athlete of all time you're talking about, Lebron? Or do you mean in general?

Either way, you're wrong as hell.