PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Trailblazers sign Mo Williams; 2 years, $5.6 million

bagelred
08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 27s

Williams deal will pay him $5.6 million over two years, with player option for second season.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m

Williams is signing a two year deal with Blazers, source tells Y!

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 33s

Agent Mark Bartlestein says that guard Mo Williams will sign with the Trail Blazers.

He didn't want to sign anywhere for the minimum because he want "Mo money".

kNicKz
08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
:pimp:

One of the best 3pt shooters in the league

DetroitPistonFan
08-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Mo doesn't wanna play with LeBron again.

Levity
08-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Didnt see that coming.

I wonder where Udrih ends up now. I felt he would have been a better back up PG for most teams than williams.

Twiens
08-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Blazers look pretty damn legit with a bench now

Inferno
08-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Interesting...does that mean less playing time for CJ McCollum? I'm guessing that Olshey doesn't think Barton and Crabbe are good enough to play 2nd/3rd string minutes at SG so CJ will see most of his playtime there...this also means that Harris is gone...

Lillard / Williams / Watson
Matthews / McCollum / Barton / Crabbe
Batum / Wright / Claver
Aldridge / Robinson / Freeland
Leonard / Lopez

hawkfan
08-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Mo Williams gets 2 years, 5.6 million.
Jose Calderon gets 4 years, 29 million.
Kyle Kover gets 4 years, 24 million.

Someone's got a bad agent.

Fudge
08-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Good pickup. Now they have one of the best benches in the league after having the worst last season.

Mo Williams
CJ McCollum
Dorell Wright
Thomas Robinson
Meyers Leonard

That's legit.

rhythmic
08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Interesting...does that mean less playing time for CJ McCollum? I'm guessing that Olshey doesn't think Barton and Crabbe are good enough to play 2nd/3rd string minutes at SG so CJ will see most of his playtime there...this also means that Harris is gone...

Batum / Wright / Claver
Leonard / Lopez

Daymn, that's a legit team. :biggums:

All Net
08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Think west teams are happy he didn't sign with Memphis.

gasolina
08-07-2013, 02:32 PM

Batum / Wright / Claver
Leonard / Lopez
Spurned grizzly fan here. Really sad we didn't get Mo. Then again, he gets more money and more playing time as Lillard is big enough to play spurts at the 2. Bad for McCollum though.

Inferno
08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Spurned grizzly fan here. Really sad we didn't get Mo. Then again, he gets more money and more playing time as Lillard is big enough to play spurts at the 2. Bad for McCollum though.

Yeah, I was thinking that McCollum was going to be the main backup at both the 1 and 2, so he could play with both Lillard and Matthews, but it looks like he'll be the main backup 2 now...I wonder how many minutes he'll be getting per game, seeing that Barton might need some playtime too..

coin24
08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Mo Williams gets 2 years, 5.6 million.
Jose Calderon gets 4 years, 29 million.
Kyle Kover gets 4 years, 24 million.

Someone's got a bad agent.

Basically this..:applause:

Next lockout they should just fire all idiot GMs:oldlol:

LosScandalous
08-07-2013, 02:42 PM
(yawn) They have a long history of signing dorks, looks like they have one more, if he gets a deal with nike, they should just rename it to just do nothing

Myth
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Blazers finally have depth again, thank god. Mo will probably get a decent amount of minutes at both PG and SG. He is too good to go from starting with 30 mpg to just Lillard's backup. If McCollum pans out quickly, then he won't stay that whole 2 year contract though. But without Mo, if McCollum sucks as a rookie, the Blazers have nothing to fall back on.

My hope for Portland:
This year make playoffs, get a win or 2.
Next year, replicate Warriors success from last year.
Then be in a position where players are starting to look at Portland as a place to be (ala Iguadala on the Warriors).
Portland's team is kind of set up like the Warriors even.

tmacattack33
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
:roll:

Lebron's Scottie Pippen in Cleveland is worth 2.3 million per year only three years after they last played together.

...and some of you wonder why left Cleveland? :lol

RoseCity07
08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Oh snap, just living this Cali life right now, got on real GM and see this as the top story. :applause: It's been a good past couple of weeks. Great pick up.:applause:

coin24
08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
:roll:

Lebron's Scottie Pippen in Cleveland is worth 2.3 million per year only three years after they last played together.

...and some of you wonder why left Cleveland? :lol

No Lebron left Cleveland because he's wades pippen:lol

OldSkoolball#52
08-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Think west teams are happy he didn't sign with Memphis.

This is the new CBA at work and frankly I think its a shame. Would rather see a handful of juggernauts go at it in the playoffs than a bunch of average teams. Not sayin Mo himself is a juggernaut, but the Grizzlies would have added some real nice firepower with that signing and I think he woulda went there if Memphis could give him decent money. But with the new CBA, they cant. The league is spread too thin. Too many teams.

#Contraction!

Fresh Kid
08-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Good for Tha blazers, not necessarily for mo Williams tho.

Fresh Kid
08-07-2013, 03:13 PM
No Lebron left Cleveland because he's wades pippen:lol
Ether.

Myth
08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Oh snap, just living this Cali life right now, got on real GM and see this as the top story. :applause: It's been a good past couple of weeks. Great pick up.:applause:

Where are you in Cali and what are you doing here?

hawkfan
08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Who's better: Mo Williams or Jose Calderon?

Fresh Kid
08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Mo Williams.

Levity
08-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Jose Calderon. He'll fit with Dallas much better than Mo Williams would.

longtime lurker
08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Shit Blazers have a legit bench now. The West just got a little tougher.

Darkess
08-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Mo Williams wasn't much of an asset to the Jazz last year. Most Jazz fans seem excited to have him gone.

Calderon for sure.

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Mo Williams wasn't much of an asset to the Jazz last year. Most Jazz fans seem excited to have him gone.

Calderon for sure.

If the Jazz had him in the role he will be in for the Blazers he would have been much better. He's better suited to the 6th man role than Calderon. Calderon will be better starting and running the pick and pop with Dirk. Apples and oranges really.

Dr. Cheesesteak
08-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Can the Blazers fans here tell me how they see Stotts as a coach? I've seen him coach 1 Blazer game, but I know he has a bad career record. I'm really loving this Blazer roster, but am unsure about Stott's coaching ability. I know the NBA is a players league and talent is most important, but surely coaching can make a difference, too?

Myth
08-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Can the Blazers fans here tell me how they see Stotts as a coach? I've seen him coach 1 Blazer game, but I know he has a bad career record. I'm really loving this Blazer roster, but am unsure about Stott's coaching ability. I know the NBA is a players league and talent is most important, but surely coaching can make a difference, too?

He did fine. He had a super young team that frequented 5 rookies pushing for the playoffs until the injury bug hit us and without depth the team lost all confidence and ended terribly. I liked his Xs and Os more than I like McMillan's, and he is a coach that likes to spread things out with 3 point shooters, which last year we had only a few, while now we are stacked with guys that can shoot. That alone should make the Blazers a much more dangerous team. Our post D should have improved as well based on player personnel, but Stotts is not a great defensive coach so we will lean heavily on those 3s.

What I'd really like to see him do now that we have 3 point shooters is replicate the 2011 Dallas offense that he was credited with. Get the ball to Aldridge at the free throw line. Have Aldridge go to work from there, and if a double is sent at him, Aldridge is in a position to get the ball to any Blazer on the court.

xoneatom
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
portlands injurys curse :D

Dr. Cheesesteak
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
He did fine. He had a super young team that frequented 5 rookies pushing for the playoffs until the injury bug hit us and without depth the team lost all confidence and ended terribly. I liked his Xs and Os more than I like McMillan's, and he is a coach that likes to spread things out with 3 point shooters, which last year we had only a few, while now we are stacked with guys that can shoot. That alone should make the Blazers a much more dangerous team. Our post D should have improved as well based on player personnel, but Stotts is not a great defensive coach so we will lean heavily on those 3s.

What I'd really like to see him do now that we have 3 point shooters is replicate the 2011 Dallas offense that he was credited with. Get the ball to Aldridge at the free throw line. Have Aldridge go to work from there, and if a double is sent at him, Aldridge is in a position to get the ball to any Blazer on the court.
sounds nice for making a strong regular season run. I've been going back and forth if I wanted to pick Blazers as high as the 6 seed or possibly not even in the playoffs, as I basically had no idea about Stotts. I really like to consider coaches, not just the roster. but this roster is too good to miss the playoffs imo, even in the loaded West. Minny, Memphis, NO, maybe even Dallas and Denver should still make some tough competition for those 6-8 seeds.

bdreason
08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Very good signing for the Blazers. West just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

bdreason
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Different players.

Mo makes a better offensive threat off the bench, while Jose is better at running a team.

For the money we're talking, I'll take Mo.

Nezty
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Blazers are gonna make some noise this year.

andremiller07
08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Damn big blow to the Grizzlies imo they really could have used his shooting/floor spacing and interesting pick up by the Blazers considering they got a the rookie PG as well as Lillard.

Inferno
08-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Damn big blow to the Grizzlies imo they really could have used his shooting/floor spacing and interesting pick up by the Blazers considering they got a the rookie PG as well as Lillard.

McCollum is actually naturally a SG, so he'll playing most if his minutes behind Matthews. They're trying to develop him into a PG, though.

bigkingsfan
08-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Mo money mo problem.

andremiller07
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
McCollum is actually naturally a SG, so he'll playing most if his minutes behind Matthews. They're trying to develop him into a PG, though.
O ok than fair enough, what's that do to Will Barton will he play more SF now or is he completely out of the rotation?

Levity
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
O ok than fair enough, what's that do to Will Barton will he play more SF now or is he completely out of the rotation?

he's still worth developing in my opinion. played pretty damn good the last week or so of the season when mathews season came to an end.

andremiller07
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
he's still worth developing in my opinion. played pretty damn good the last week or so of the season when mathews season came to an end.
I agree I like his game/potential I'm guessing him and Victor Claver will battle it out for the back up SF mins.

Inferno
08-07-2013, 07:54 PM

I'm guessing that him and Crabbe will have to battle for the remaining minutes at either SG or SF...here's my rough guess on the minutes of each player w/o Barton, Crabbe, or Claver in the rotation

PG: Lillard - 34 minutes / Williams - 12 minutes / McCollum - 2 minutes
SG: Matthews - 30 minutes / Williams - 8 minutes / McCollum - 10 minutes
SF: Batum - 34 minutes / Wright - 14 minutes
PF: Aldridge - 35 minutes / Robinson - 12 minutes
C: Lopez - 25 minutes / Leonard - 17 minutes / Freeland - 6 minutes

It's hard to guess tbh. Barton or Crabbe will probably get some minutes in at SG or SF depending on how they do in practice and how the starters and 2nd strings are fairing health-wise

andremiller07
08-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing that him and Crabbe will have to battle for the remaining minutes at either SG or SF...here's my rough guess on the minutes of each player w/o Barton, Crabbe, or Claver in the rotation

Damn I forgot they signed Wright, tbh I don't see him playing much if at all than. Man Blazers are freaking loaded in terms of talent damn they had themselves a killer offseason. I wonder if they could package Claver and Barton for something.

LosScandalous
08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
:applause: I'm a fan of easy teams to beat in the western conference.

Inferno
08-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Damn I forgot they signed Wright, tbh I don't see him playing much if at all than. Man Blazers are freaking loaded in terms of talent damn they had themselves a killer offseason. I wonder if they could package Claver and Barton for something.

Yeah, Wright was a great addition, seeing that the backup SF last year was Claver who shot under 40% from the field last season :applause:

I'm betting that Barton, Crabbe, and Claver will all get to prove their worth in practice and garbage time to see who gets a spot on the rotation

bdreason
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Mathews can play the 3 as well, opening up more minutes at the 2 for Mo or the rook if needed.

Inferno
08-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Mathews can play the 3 as well, opening up more minutes at the 2 for Mo or the rook if needed.

I doubt he'll be playing the 3 much though with the Blazers' recent acquisition of Dorell Wright.

RoseCity07
08-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Where are you in Cali and what are you doing here?

In North Hollywood staying with my cousin. Just visiting for the past two weeks. Thinking of moving here after school is over. He lives on Vineland.

longtime lurker
08-07-2013, 11:09 PM

It's hard to guess tbh. Barton or Crabbe will probably get not some minutes in at SG or SF depending on how they do in practice and how the starters and 2nd strings are fairing health-wise

Damn the Blazers are looking legit. This team kind of reminds me of Golden State except not as deep with overall talent. The West just keeps getting harder for my Lakers

ihatetimthomas
08-07-2013, 11:12 PM
If he could fully embrace the Jason Terry role, then he could be a great asset to any team. Unfortunately he hasn't seemed to like a reduced bench role but it looks like he will be doing do this season. He is best used as a offensive punch off the bench. He can score in bunches so he will help

mugiwara
08-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Looks to be a very exciting young team.

hawkfan
08-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Dallas offered Devin Harris 3 years, 9 million. If he was healthy, he would have that.

Why didn't Dallas offer say 2 years, 8 million for Mo Williams? Far better player. Calderon, Ellis, Williams, Carter at the guard is actually very solid (if older).

Myth
08-08-2013, 05:23 PM

It's hard to guess tbh. Barton or Crabbe will probably get some minutes in at SG or SF depending on how they do in practice and how the starters and 2nd strings are fairing health-wise

I hope Freeland doesn't get 6 minutes per game. He should only come in during blowouts with Claver and Crabbe.

Myth
08-08-2013, 05:23 PM
In North Hollywood staying with my cousin. Just visiting for the past two weeks. Thinking of moving here after school is over. He lives on Vineland.

Cool. I don't make it out to Hollywood much, but was there last week for the System of a Down concert.

KNOW1EDGE
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Very solid pick up for the Blazers.

Went from having the worst bench in the NBA last year, to one of the best this year.

Neil Olshey didn't make any HUGE splash trades or acquisitions, rather a bunch of very smart trades and signings to make us a serious playoff contender.

Wavves
08-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Absolutely love it, going to be great for our young guards to have him on the roster and he does make us a lot better and deeper. Love the things he said in his press conference too, here is a link if you want to take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0OyyB-oXE

Inferno
08-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Looks like he got Roy's jersey number...Blazers aren't gonna retire it?

SourPatchKids
08-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Odd.

KNOW1EDGE
08-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Looks like he got Roy's jersey number...Blazers aren't gonna retire it?

I guess some Blazer fans were kinda butt hurt that he is gonna wear #7. But the other numbers he wanted were taken, and he asked his son what number to wear, and his boy said #7 for the # of people in their family. Cant be mad at that.

And I would be very surprised if they ever retired B-Roys #7. We already have too many numbers retired, and the next NEEDS to be Sabonis' #11.

Roy only played 5 years. Many of them injured and missed games. He is one of our best players ever. But he didn't do much for us, we never got past the first round with him. He had more individual awards like ROY and all-star, put up good numbers. But it seems like teams retire a guys number for the impact made, not really their on-court ability alone.

He is one of my fav Blazers of all time, but im not mad at Mo in the least bit, and I doubt his number will ever be retired.

Inferno
08-09-2013, 12:54 AM
I guess some Blazer fans were kinda butt hurt that he is gonna wear #7. But the other numbers he wanted were taken, and he asked his son what number to wear, and his boy said #7 for the # of people in their family. Cant be mad at that.

And I would be very surprised if they ever retired B-Roys #7. We already have too many numbers retired, and the next NEEDS to be Sabonis' #11.

Roy only played 5 years. Many of them injured and missed games. He is one of our best players ever. But he didn't do much for us, we never got past the first round with him. He had more individual awards like ROY and all-star, put up good numbers. But it seems like teams retire a guys number for the impact made, not really their on-court ability alone.

He is one of my fav Blazers of all time, but im not mad at Mo in the least bit, and I doubt his number will ever be retired.

Yeah, it's hard to be mad at Mo for the reason he chose the number and for the fact that he chose Portland over some teams where he had starting offers (according to him) :h5: Agreed with the opinion on retiring Roy's jersey

andremiller07
08-09-2013, 12:57 AM
I never seen the point of retiring numbers, like wouldn't you want someone to carry on the legacy regardless? Hang there number up on the rafters but let other people wear it, it's just a number at the end of the day.

KNOW1EDGE
08-09-2013, 01:01 AM
I never seen the point of retiring numbers, like wouldn't you want someone to carry on the legacy regardless? Hang there number up on the rafters but let other people wear it, it's just a number at the end of the day.

I just hate it when teams have a bunch of numbers retired. And half of them are people who didn't even have good careers but were fan favorites or did something admirable. And then the #s available to active players is limited and you get people wearing some stupid/weird #s.

Like you said, hang em up, but let players continue to wear them.