PDA

View Full Version : What's good with Austin Rivers?

The_Yearning
08-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Dude had the worst statistical season of any NBA player ever last year.

61 Games

23mpg

37% FG

32% 3pt

54% FT (wtf?)

6.2 PPG

1.8 RPG

2.1 APG

I'm predicting this season stats to be:

9 PPG

3 RBG

3 APG

40% FG

Bobby13
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Still better than V-Span

DukeDelonte13
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
he can only get better.

Johnny Jones
08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
He wasnt NBA ready. Should have stayed in college for one more year.

But the good thing about Rivers is his excellent work ethic.. a lot of draft experts were saying he had a terrible work ethic going into the draft(turned out to be total BS)

Also, Austins last 16 games he shot 49/42/54 (FT % was still bad but he got it up to 72% this past summer league) and was probably our best perimeter defender during that 16 game stretch. Which isnt saying much, but still impressive for a rookie.

bdreason
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
He looked improved in summer league, but he's not going to get many minutes behind Holiday, Evans, and Gordon.

Should have stayed at Duke at least 2 years.

LosScandalous
08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
NBA wanabe with a self proclaim nickname of "sub-zero" :facepalm

KyrieTheFuture
08-07-2013, 09:14 PM
He has the tools to be great someday I really wish he stuck in college. With the right mindset he can still make it but, it'll be tough.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
What tools makes him great?

He's quick and he has a crossover (albeit he travels nearly every time on it). Good athlete, but his body and frame will hold him back in that regard. That's about it. Frail frame, no PG ability, and a really streaky shooter. Not sure about his defense... But I'm guessing it's not very good.

His upside has always been a slightly above average 6th man.

KyrieTheFuture
08-07-2013, 09:36 PM

He's quick and he has a crossover (albeit he travels nearly every time on it). Good athlete, but his body and frame will hold him back in that regard. That's about it. Frail frame, no PG ability, and a really streaky shooter. Not sure about his defense... But I'm guessing it's not very good.

No one calls travelling anymore so no big deal, his shooting greatly improved but who knows if it will stick, his PG ability is why I wanted him to stay in college, I've heard his D is pretty good but didn't watch enough to know. Great is going too far he could be a solid starter/6thMOY

Pushxx
08-07-2013, 10:11 PM
He has one problem: he can't go left. Sit on his right and it's over.

Johnny Jones
08-07-2013, 10:22 PM

regarding his defense - he has great fundemental man to man defense. His off ball defense could use some work but I have no doubt it's going to improve. Like I said, he has an incredible work ethic and it looks like he's coachable. When the season started his shooting form was terrible but in the summer league his form looked much improved..

irondarts
08-07-2013, 10:45 PM
What's good with him?

Not much.

andremiller07
08-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Unless he's injured or not playing not much

Spaulding
08-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Really calls himself Sub Zero?

He is struggling transitioning into the NBA. He won't be the star people thought. But he will survive.

WolfGang
08-07-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't think he could play how he really wanted. Williams tried to force a defensive/pass first mind set on a naturally selfish player. If that isn't the case then he just tried to be something he's not.

He is a good defender for his age and size.
He can get to the basket and get the foul.
He has improved in moving without the ball.
He needs to develop a mid-range jumper.
He needs to finish more at the rim.

He won't be getting any minutes this season. I honestly think the best thing for him is to get traded.

outbreak
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Personally think he will come good in a couple years, not a star but will be solid. He left college far too early

I<3NBA
08-08-2013, 02:41 AM
his dad

SpurrDurr
08-08-2013, 03:10 AM
It's not his fault if he isn't good...

Lebron23
01-11-2014, 07:22 PM
what happened to him this season?? it looks like his numbers regresses. Do you think he'll be a legit player in the NBA if the pelicans $hip his @$$ out to another team??

Basketbolero
01-11-2014, 07:29 PM
what happened to him this season?? it looks like his numbers regresses. Do you think he'll be a legit player in the NBA if the pelicans $hip his @$$ out to another team??
Dude, what happened is that the Pelicans are a serious team now. They got Gordon back, plus traded for Holiday and signed Tyreke Evans. That's a strong backcourt right there.

He might get some more burn now that Holiday is injured but going forward he's going to have his ass glued to the bench for a long time.