PDA

View Full Version : Biggest ballhog in NBA history

deja vu
08-12-2013, 09:43 AM
In your opinion, who is the biggest and most selfish ballhog in NBA history?

Bandito
08-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Lebron James

pudman13
08-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Based on dominating the ball and doing so inefficiently, I have to pick Iverson and his career .425 FG%.

I<3NBA
08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Kome "rapist" Chuckbe Cryant

FreezingTsmoove
08-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Lebron tbh

Round Mound
08-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Allen Iverson. There have Been Many Ballhoggs But The Least Efficient Of Them Was Allen Iverson.

f0und
08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
kobe and ai.

East_Stone_Ya
08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
MJ

dr.hee
08-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Great thread. MJ stans gonna say Kobe and vice versa. Same with Melo and Lebron.

:applause:

sportjames23
08-12-2013, 10:19 AM
InB4--

MJ

Fvck you, bitch. :D

Spaulding
08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Kobe over Bron.

Bron doesn't even ball hog. Was Magic a ball hog?

kshutts1
08-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Biggest? Probably Shaq.

Most selfish? Kobe's my favorite current player, but he's gotta be the one I nominate. It's not that he's not longer capable of huge scoring outbursts, but with all of his "basketball IQ" he should be smart enough to realize that his scoring 30+ points has not been the best recipe for winning the past couple years, and particularly last year. I'm sure other people have some solid examples, but I can't think of any other player that's ever more or less ignored the quality of offensive talent on his team like Kobe did last year, and to a lesser extent the last couple years before that.

magic chiongson
08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
john stockton, jason kidd, & magic johnson

SilkkTheShocker
08-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Iverson, Kobe, and Pistol Pete are the Big 3

ReturnofJPR
08-12-2013, 10:56 AM
It has to be Allen Iverson.

Chaddai
08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1233589/ip7tCn1KGSMPH.gif

Harison
08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Career - probably AI.

Currently active - KoME, but last Playoffs Melo takes the cake :lol

kshutts1
08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
One of the best .gifs on here. :applause:

Fresh Kid
08-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Im sorry to say this but the answer is Lebron James:confusedshrug:

Jailblazers7
08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Didn't kblaze kind of cover this in his "**** it" players list thread? From what I remember, Rick Barry is #1.

branslowski
08-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Kobe, Jordan, LeBron, and Iverson. (ballhog- A player hogging the ball for most of the shotclock, thats LeBron...Doesn't matter if he gets a stat pad assist after holding the ball for 22 seconds, It's still hogging.)

demons2005
08-12-2013, 11:36 AM
It's got to be Chris Paul. He has stunted all of the players he play with (see Griffin) by never giving up the ball unless he can get assist. If we measured ballhog by % of time with possession he is by far the #1.

Owl
08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Kobe, Jordan, LeBron, and Iverson. (ballhog- A player hogging the ball for most of the shotclock, thats LeBron...Doesn't matter if he gets a stat pad assist after holding the ball for 22 seconds, It's still hogging.)
Not that I'd disagree with LeBron having been ball dominant (especially in Cleveland) but it's hard to get "stat pad assist" if you don't deliver the ball accurately to someone with a reasonable chance of making a basket. Otherwise you're risking a turnover (and easy opponent score, substantial criticism) for nothing.

Flash31
08-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Kobe or AI
Period.

Last Year Kobe at 35 with Nash,Gasol,Howard
still had one of the top 5 usage rates in the league and took the
2nd most amount of shots

Thres a reason people say Kobe Ball or AI style
even playing on the street,people have seen others play like Kobe or AI,

rarely if ever pass,shoot over 2-3 people,always have the ball,shoot more than anybody else

If you compare whole careers,
AI and Kobe have both one of the highest usage rates in history and
total the only person that comes close is Jordan,

though on the other hand Carmelo Anthony is trying to DEMOLISH THAT Record,
HE had just 4 ASSISTS IN His Last Playoff Series,the WHOLE Series,4 ASSISTS.

(e)
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
AI. But damn he was fun to watch.

WolfGang
08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Michael Jordan. He started all this shit.

daily
08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Ball hog? Not sure how you determine or define this.

Jordan has the highest career usage at 33.2% followed by Wade, Iverson, Kobe and Lebron

Crystallas
08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
http://wannadunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Steve-Francis-Dunk.jpg

He's pointing at all of the fools that said anyone but him.

NumberSix
08-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Probably Jordan. He somehow managed to take as many shots in like 13 seasons as Kobe's chucking ass took in 17 seasons. Highest usage. Obvi.

crisoner
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

crisoner
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Ball hog? Not sure how you determine or define this.

Jordan has the highest career usage at 33.2% followed by Wade, Iverson, Kobe and Lebron

THIS

alexd
08-12-2013, 05:01 PM
To be ballhog you must never pass and not be efficient.that reminds kobe ai and usually sg/sf players.but you can t blame guys like jordan lbj for hogging the ball.who you prefer have the ball in his hands lbj or boobie gobson?with that in mind i think kobe is since he played with shaq pau etc who can score.unlike 76ers ai didn t have much scoring options beside him

riseagainst
08-12-2013, 05:02 PM
for some reason, kids associate the word ballhog with shooting. Taking alot of shots isn't the same thing as being a ballhog.

LEFT4DEAD
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Its hard to determine it without an eye-test, but if Im about to describe it in theory, I would say its something like usage : apg (or usage : assist-turnover ratio maybe), and higher result means bigger ballhog and vice versa.

crisoner
08-12-2013, 05:05 PM
If I had Jordan, Wade, Kobe, Iverson, and LeBron on my teams I'd want them having the ball all the time. So ballhogging in that sense is a good thing.

crisoner
08-12-2013, 05:09 PM
To be ballhog you must never pass and not be efficient.that reminds kobe ai and usually sg/sf players.but you can t blame guys like jordan lbj for hogging the ball.who you prefer have the ball in his hands lbj or boobie gobson?with that in mind i think kobe is since he played with shaq pau etc who can score.unlike 76ers ai didn t have much scoring options beside him

Again check the stats back then Shaq had the ball plenty. He was the first option kids to your homework before you make up crap and feed in to the ignorance.

Iverson was a scorer who can create his own shot. And he was damn good at doing it. Same with Prime Kobe. You have those guys in their primes you want them handling and shooting because that is their game and it WON games for both.

Kblaze8855
08-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Big difference between being a ballhog and you dribbling into a shot...being the desired outcome of a play. AI played when isolation basketball was major. When Riley and JVG types were slowing the game down and being happy with 84-78 point defensive struggles where they took away every option by packing the lane and playing the angles to prevent drives. So you had to attack one on one.

It wasnt the 80s with free flowing running or the post zone space the floor with 3 shooters ball of today. AI when he played with Snow at his best was largely an off the ball scorer and whe nhe became a point he dribbled into his shots.

But it wasnt ballhogging to me. It was running the offense. Why I dont consider Stockton, nash, and KJ types who dribbled more than anyone ballhogs. If the offense demands you control the ball you arent a ballhog.

And shooting too much isnt being a ballhog either.

Steve Francis....Jamal Crawford on the Bulls....they would break off plays with time on the shot clock and go one on one.

That is ball hogging.

AI taking 27 shots when Larry Brown has him in 60 plays with the primary goal to be him getting a shot off a screen or catching his man on an island to punish him...

Not ball hogging.

A ball hog has to break the offense not have the ball as a desired outcome of it.

A chucker shoots too much....many of those shots ill advised.

Which is why id say...Baron Davis late in his Hornets run....chucker...not a ball hog.

Steve Francis...ballhog...not a chucker.

Kobe takes ill advised shots for normal players. But he makes them at a solid rate. So im not sure hes either.

fpliii
08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
It's got to be Chris Paul. He has stunted all of the players he play with (see Griffin) by never giving up the ball unless he can get assist. If we measured ballhog by % of time with possession he is by far the #1.

lol

buddha
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
You people know Iverson is only 6'1 right? LeBron is 6'8 so it's gotta be him.

pauk
08-12-2013, 05:32 PM
A ballhog is a detrimental term... what guys like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Magic or most other point-guards etc. did was the opposite to being detrimental.... they dominated the ball because they were begged to, it was their strategy, role... they were able to be the most accountable for points on the boxscore whether it was creating for themselves or for others or both...

A guy once said "There is no i in team, but there is i in win"...

OJ SIMPSON 2.0
08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Lebron. He's a passerhog who stat pads.

michaelray
08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Kobe Bean Bryant

Greatest Ballhogger of All Time

Young X
08-12-2013, 09:06 PM
So many idiots in this thread.

Ball-hogs are ball dominant players who don't trust their teammates. Just because a guy shoots alot doesn't mean he's a ball hog. Kevin Durant is not a ball hog. Melo is a ball hog.

Usage pct = how many possessions a player uses when he's on the floor, not how long he has the ball in his hands.

Jordan was not a ball dominant player at all, he was mostly an off ball player for his whole career. If you're gonna label a player like Jordan something negative you should call him a chucker, not a ball hog. (Neither are true)

Haks
08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Lebron is the greatest ballhog ever. Give Lebron the ball and he'll carry scrubs to the final

Deuce Bigalow
08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
59-60: 32.1 FGA / 2.3 APG
60-61: 31.1 FGA / 1.9 APG (Swept in the first round by 38-41 Nationals, averaged 32.0 FGA / 2.0 APG)
61-62: 39.5 FGA / 2.4 APG
62-63: 34.6 FGA / 3.4 APG (31-49, missed playoffs)

Guess who?

Haks
08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
59-60: 32.1 FGA / 2.3 APG
60-61: 31.1 FGA / 1.9 APG (Swept in the first round by 38-41 Nationals, averaged 32.0 FGA / 2.0 APG)
61-62: 39.5 FGA / 2.4 APG
62-63: 34.6 FGA / 3.4 APG (31-49, missed playoffs)

Guess who?
BBBUT HE FACED BILL RUSSELL's Celtics lmao

fos
08-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Is this a joke?? Easily Allen Iverson.

magnax1
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Guy who used the ball the most in his prime is probably Hakeem, or maybe one of the all time great PGs. Cleveland Lebron is up there too. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world though.
Who was the most selfish? Kind of depends on how you define selfish. AI, Wilt, Jordan and Kobe were probably the most "shoot first" players in NBA history, but they weren't negatively affecting their teams, and they all averaged 5+ assists at some point. Gervin might be the worst in terms of a top 10 NBA player who just didnt know how to and didnt try to pass.

The Choken One
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Bill Russelll?

IDK.. I give up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QrRksZe25io&t=454
15 year old confirmed. People been posting this for a long time:

Bill never missed the playoffs.

So, do you really think that's Russell?

KyleKong
08-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Michael Jordan was the biggest ball hog, how are people arguing against that?

It's not a insult to Jordan, because he had a reason to be a ball hog.

TheAnchorman
08-12-2013, 10:51 PM
There are some underrated ballhogs from the 70s... Bob McAdoo, George McGinnis, George Gervin to name a few. McGinnis has the record for the most turnovers averaged in a year.

Those guys were content with putting up 25-30 pts, an assist here or there if they felt like it then take their paycheck, go home and snort lines from benjamins. if that's not ballhogging I don't know what is.

Dengness9
08-12-2013, 11:10 PM
a lot of good ones mentioned, and of course the Answer.

But I'd like to throw Carmelo up there near the top the way things are going for him. Didn't even average 3 apg last season. Any player with as much talent as he has, plus the amount of time the ball is in hands....has to do better at making his teammates better.

He averaged less than 2 apg in 12 playoff games in 2013.

Modern day Dom Wilkins..... check the career stats.... kinda creeps me out actually....

Melo 25.0/6.4/3.1 on .456 with 3.0 tpg
Dom 24.8/6.7/2.5 on .461 with 2.5 tpg

La Frescobaldi
08-12-2013, 11:21 PM
There are some underrated ballhogs from the 70s... Bob McAdoo, George McGinnis, George Gervin to name a few. McGinnis has the record for the most turnovers averaged in a year.

Those guys were content with putting up 25-30 pts, an assist here or there if they felt like it then take their paycheck, go home and snort lines from benjamins. if that's not ballhogging I don't know what is.
Those are some real hog names for sure (at times although not always) but the biggest offense destroying oinker of that time has got to be Elvin Hayes.
I always thought E was the most selfish team killer ever but he has strong current competition.
Look at what happened to Linsanity Knicks - totally destroyed by a guy who literally sat the bench until his coach got fired & Lin got forced out. Global sensation shut clear off dead like a ice douche.
Truly Hayes-worthy, arguably worse.
Even George Karl can't find anything nice to say.

Straight_Ballin
08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Is this a joke?? Easily Allen Iverson.

Yes, but when a 6'1 165 lb guy wins MVP, what does that tell you about the league that year?

livingby3's
08-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Big difference between being a ballhog and you dribbling into a shot...being the desired outcome of a play. AI played when isolation basketball was major. When Riley and JVG types were slowing the game down and being happy with 84-78 point defensive struggles where they took away every option by packing the lane and playing the angles to prevent drives. So you had to attack one on one.

It wasnt the 80s with free flowing running or the post zone space the floor with 3 shooters ball of today. AI when he played with Snow at his best was largely an off the ball scorer and whe nhe became a point he dribbled into his shots.

But it wasnt ballhogging to me. It was running the offense. Why I dont consider Stockton, nash, and KJ types who dribbled more than anyone ballhogs. If the offense demands you control the ball you arent a ballhog.

And shooting too much isnt being a ballhog either.

Steve Francis....Jamal Crawford on the Bulls....they would break off plays with time on the shot clock and go one on one.

That is ball hogging.

AI taking 27 shots when Larry Brown has him in 60 plays with the primary goal to be him getting a shot off a screen or catching his man on an island to punish him...

Not ball hogging.

A ball hog has to break the offense not have the ball as a desired outcome of it.

A chucker shoots too much....many of those shots ill advised.

Which is why id say...Baron Davis late in his Hornets run....chucker...not a ball hog.

Steve Francis...ballhog...not a chucker.

Kobe takes ill advised shots for normal players. But he makes them at a solid rate. So im not sure hes either.

QFT.

A fairly good post with explanations like this one getting overlooked, while the trolls are getting all the attentions they want.

EllEffEll
08-13-2013, 12:30 AM

I would suggest that World B. Free get at least an honorable mention.

lucky001
08-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Stevie Franchise with his 20 second And1 impersonation/ waving off a yao screen. He was a dribbling fool.

Eric Cartman
08-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Kobe Bryant when he was on those teams with Smush and Luke Walton. Of course in that case being a ballhog wasn't such a bad thing. Same with Wade in the pre dynamic duo era.

Trentknicks
08-13-2013, 05:47 AM
a lot of good ones mentioned, and of course the Answer.

But I'd like to throw Carmelo up there near the top the way things are going for him. Didn't even average 3 apg last season. Any player with as much talent as he has, plus the amount of time the ball is in hands....has to do better at making his teammates better.

He averaged less than 2 apg in 12 playoff games in 2013.

Modern day Dom Wilkins..... check the career stats.... kinda creeps me out actually....

Melo 25.0/6.4/3.1 on .456 with 3.0 tpg
Dom 24.8/6.7/2.5 on .461 with 2.5 tpg
Just goes to show how little (if at all) you watched the Knicks last year. Amare was injured most of the year, Shumpert didn't come back till late and it's since emerged that JR played through injuries last season. There's a big difference between putting the team on your back/carrying the load and ball hogging. He had no second option.

JR completely broke down in the playoffs. Who was Melo meant to pass it to on offense, Tyson Chandler? I agree he certainly had a high usage rate, but that was through necessity not choice.

The-Legend-24
08-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Melo.

Nashty
08-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Kobe Bryant, Wilt Chamberlain and Allen Iverson.

pudman13
08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
for some reason, kids associate the word ballhog with shooting. Taking alot of shots isn't the same thing as being a ballhog.

That's right; it's only part of it. It's also why Iverson still qualifies. One of the criticisms his teammates had of him: "he dribbles too much." It also explains why Kobe's such a ball hog. I can't think of anyone who spends more time (and wastes more of the shot clock) setting up isolation plays.

Magic 32
08-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Kobe or AI
Period.

Last Year Kobe at 35 with Nash,Gasol,Howard
still had one of the top 5 usage rates in the league and took the
2nd most amount of shots

It's amazing how one of Kobe's greatest achievements (last year's play) have been twisted into a talking point for the haters. :facepalm