PDA

View Full Version : ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Chicago Bulls Edition

bagelred
08-15-2013, 09:46 AM
No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we? :applause:

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310309

Today's team?

THE CHICAGO BULLS

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
SG - Butler/Dunleavy
SF - Deng/Snell/Thomas
PF - Boozer/Gibson/Murphy
C - Noah/Mohammed

Head Coach - Tom Thibodeau
General Manager - Gar Forman

1. TRUE or FALSE: Joakim Noah is more important to the Bulls success than Derrick Rose.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Jimmy Butler is THAT good.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Despite Thibodeau's defensive genius, Bulls need to improve their offensive creativity.

4. AGREE or DISAGREE: More Taj Gibson, Less Carlos Boozer.

5. The one "X Factor" that can catapult the Bulls over the top East competitors is:

You can elaborate on your answers. :D

Next up: Cleveland Cavaliers. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Cavaliers? Send me a PM with ideas.

:banana:

Dagouch
08-15-2013, 10:09 AM
1. TRUE or FALSE: Joakim Noah is more important to the Bulls success than Derrick Rose.

Not more important but equally important with the caveat that Derrick Rose is at least 80-90% percent of what he was.

to be determined. Not a hater but want to see him this season

3. TRUE or FALSE: Despite Thibodeau's defensive genius, Bulls need to improve their offensive creativity.

With what they have how much more can creative can they be? They need a legit 2nd scorer to get to the next level

4. AGREE or DISAGREE: More Taj Gibson, Less Carlos Boozer

Kinda agree. But Boozer does have his moments.

5. The one "X Factor" that can catapult the Bulls over the top East competitors is:

If they can get Lamarcus Aldridge with out getting rid of Noah. Don't see it happening.

TheReturn
08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
1. False. With Joakim we'll always have a respectable defensive team. With Derrick Rose we can actually go places.

2. False. I love Jimmy's game and demeanor but people putting him on the level of Kawhi or Paul George are overrating him. He's a solid, solid player already and he can grow quite a bit offensively but he'll never be more than a great 3rd option.

3. I don't know. The first year it seemed that way, but it's possible Thibs wanted to get the defense in place first and upgrade the offense going forward. I'm pretty optimistic because I think we can run offense through more guys than we could back then.

4. True, BUT, only if Rose is healthy. With Rose out, Boozer was a godsend last year. If we have enough offense, Taj is a better option than Boozer.

5. Boozer has to be able to be efficient and effective with Rose on the floor at the same time. And ofcourse Rose has to stay healthy. If the defense can remain as good as it's been the last couple of years, I think we're in good shape.

boozehound
08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
THE CHICAGO BULLS

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
SG - Butler/Dunleavy
SF - Deng/Snell/Thomas
C - Noah/Mohammed

True. Not that rose is replaceable, but can you imagine the bulls having the same record last year without noah (or asik). There is no one on the roster who controls backbone of the entire team D like noah can. Sure, they have to adjust offensively to rose being gone, but their entire identity hinges on the rim protection of Noah IMO.

that good? sure. Allstar good? no. Better than Deng? No. Hes an above average and long defender who has a fairly well rounded overall game. I do think we will see some regression this year (or at least not continued growth on the same trajectory), but hes still a very good young player. Bulls fans should be pleased.

False. They have enough creativity in their pg to not worry too much about the overall system. There is designed creativity (spurs sets off of sets) and then improvised creativity (variations within a handful of sets). Besides, when it comes down to it, defense is much more important in the playoffs.

meh. I was sold on Taj a couple of years ago. Now, I think hes grown into what he is. Boozer may be a below average defender, but his rebounding and offensive spacing/skillset probably offset that enough next to noah. I prefer to see taj as the main big off the bench still.

Bench play. They have at least three strong bench players in kirk, dunleavy and taj (with nazr still a solid backup center). The pacers would have beat the heat with an average bench unit. the spurs would have beat the heat with decent play from their main bench guy. That will be the key to beating the heat, taking advantage of the fatigue of their main players with better bench play.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
--False. Simply put: Noah may be more important to the Bulls to win 50+ games, but Rose is the player who will have to win them a championship. This collection of players in Chicago is at the point where it's about post-season success.

--False. What the **** is that good? I think he can become a very good two-way NBA player, but I'm not sure I see an all-star in his future.

--False. I think it's more personnel than scheme. Sure you can make average players look good on offense with the right system (see Popovich, Gregg), but you still need the right players to make it happen. Whomever drafts for Chicago clearly has a type because they are all very similar players. Probably the only player who doesn't "fit" with that schematic of a player is Boozer. Except instead of finding the median, they went on the entirely opposite end of the spectrum and stuck with defensive inept player. Letting Belli walk was a mistake, imo.

--Agree. I'm honestly shocked Boozer hasn't been amnestied yet. For a team built and coached around defense, they are still starting one of the worst defensive players in the entire NBA. How does that make sense?

--Rose. This is like LeBron back in Cleveland, Jordan in the early year Bulls, or any other team with a single superstar player. It doesn't matter who you bring in (unless it's another star, of course), eventually your star player needs to be the star, the x factor, and all of the above.

nathanjizzle
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
[B]1. TRUE or FALSE: Joakim Noah is more important to the Bulls success than Derrick Rose.

1. false. joakim is important. not as important as rose. joakim is laking offensive capabilities.

2. yes he is that good

3. bulls need someone that can shoot better

4. no, boozer needs the ball more. i feel he is left out of the offense at times. he should be treated as the second scoring option.

5. rose shooting better.

NumberSix
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
If I was a bulls fan, if I had to lose either Rose or Noah, I'd keep Noah.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 03:18 PM

if you were a Bulls fan, there is a good chance you would have been shot in the face by a gang member by now.

embersyc
08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
How come the Brooklyn Nets one got stickied, and no others, kind of annoying...

False. Don't get me wrong, Noah has a huge impact, but without Rose they are not in the discussion of 'contenders'.

Jury is out, I suspect he'll come back down to earth with more talent around him.

True, but that's why they have Rose right? His return should help tremendously in that area.

Disagree, Boozer is getting old, but he isn't finished yet.

5. The one "X Factor" that can catapult the Bulls over the top East competitors is.

Noah, if he can play at an allstar level with Rose back, they will be pretty good. Oh **** it, they aren't beating Indy or Miami regardless.

fpliii
08-15-2013, 04:51 PM

True. Noah is a tremendous rebounder, defender (great on the perimeter as well), passer and the heart of the team.

True. I think he, Noah, Rose are the three untouchables on the roster.

False. We need to see this lineup with Rose.

Disagree. Boozer is finding his own (great last year), and I think he's very valuable as a second scoring option with the attention on Rose.

Derrick Rose. If he plays as well as he did in 2011 (when he was a top 2 PG and a top 5 offensive player in the entire league), it allows the rest of the players on the court to play to their talent/responsibilities, and not force shots.

SuperPippen
08-15-2013, 04:53 PM
if you were a Bulls fan, there is a good chance you would have been shot in the face by a gang member by now.

Come on Silkk, you can troll better than that.

Dr. Cheesesteak
08-15-2013, 05:08 PM
True and False. I believe he's equally as important as Rose. If Rose played all of last season and Noah did not play a single game, the results for the Bulls would probably have been the same - mid-rank seed, loss in 2nd round.

False. But as embersyc said, jury is still out. He had a great playoff run. We'll see if that carries over to an 82-game season.

False. They don't need to improve their offensive creativity. But improving their offensive flexibility or dynamism would exponentially help. They have some shooting around Rose now, perhaps a more dominant offensive post presence would help.

Agree. In terms of minutes. I still think Taj is better as a spark plug off the bench. Boozer should still start, but shouldn't be finishing games.

Health. Not just Rose coming back healthy, but Noah being 100%, Deng being 100%, Hinrich being 100%, etc. If they can all stay healthy, they have a legit shot at making, possibly even winning, the Finals.

Shade8780
08-15-2013, 05:10 PM

True. Chicago have Hinrich to play if Rose is gone. If Noah is gone, they only have Nazr Mohammad. Plus, Noah is so important for the team's interior defense and rebounding.

True. He has a lot of potential.

False. With Rose now on the team, their offensive game is gonna improve a whole lot.

Disagree. Take away Booze's bad contract and people would start giving him much more credit.

Derrick Rose. Without him, they'll just reach the Conference Semi-Finals like last year.

bagelred
08-15-2013, 10:17 PM
:milton

ballinhun8
08-15-2013, 10:34 PM

If you were a Bulls fan it would have meant LeBron signed with Chicago.

NumberSix
08-15-2013, 11:20 PM
How? How would he even know I was a bulls fan? He's gonna sign with them just to make me happy?

You're aware that I don't actually know LeBron, right? He's not going to go out of his way to do me any favors.

peejay89
08-15-2013, 11:28 PM
How? How would he even know I was a bulls fan? He's gonna sign with them just to make me happy?

You're aware that I don't actually know LeBron, right? He's not going to go out of his way to do me any favors.

Really? The way you ride his nuts, you would think you guys are best buddies.

TheWINdyCity
08-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Really? The way you ride his nuts, you would think you guys are best buddies.

damn.

BallsOut
08-16-2013, 01:21 AM

False. Noah makes them a great defensive team. Rose's offensive ability makes them championship contenders.

I'll say this, he's got more potential than Thabo Sefolosha. Defensively, he's as good as any wing on the league. Offensively, he can improve.

False. It's not an offensive game plan they lack, it's the 2nd go to scorer. Boozer is not a good 2nd option on a championship team.

Disagree. Boozer should still get the bulk of the minutes at PF. Gibson getting bulk backup PF/C minutes. They need Boozer's offense and rebounding, plus Gibson is a proven spark plug for the 2nd unit.

Their GM. They need that 2nd go to scorer. It's too difficult to have to depend on one guy to beat the three headed diva Heat.

Crystallas
08-16-2013, 01:42 AM
PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
SG - Butler/*Hinrich/*Snell/Dunleavy
SF - Deng/*Butler/Dunleavy/*Snell
C - Noah/Mohammed
^Thomas was not retained, Snell is being developed as a SG, and Thibs bases his rotation on overlap, not single positions.

1. TRUE or FALSE: False. Noah can be a game changer, but the keys to the franchise(for better or worse) are in Rose's hands.

2. TRUE or FALSE: That good? "That" He's going to get over-rated quickly, but how he's rated right now, he is "that" good.

3. TRUE or FALSE: True. Every team can always improve, just so happens the Bulls have the most to gain on offense.

4. AGREE or DISAGREE: Neither. Both disappear, both shine. It's all about the match-ups. Same.

5. The one "X Factor" that can catapult the Bulls over the top East competitors is: Staying healthy.

mugiwara
08-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Lots of well deserved love for Boozer in this thread.

CarlosBoozer
08-16-2013, 03:54 AM
I love you all <3

Dr. Cheesesteak
08-16-2013, 04:12 AM
PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
C - Noah/Mohammed
^Thomas was not retained, Snell is being developed as a SG, and Thibs bases his rotation on overlap, not single positions.

I don't think ppl usually make those depth lists as interpretations of definitive rotations. Obviously lots of teams have overlap - 10 players don't play every game.

But, I admit, I do know some ppl post the overlap on their depth lists. ...Kinda why I prefer a pure vertical listing w/ the bench in order of position. Just makes things easier. Ppl aren't too stupid to figure out depth anyway.

Noah
Boozer
Deng
J. Butler
Rose
-------
Nazr
Taj
E. Murphy
Dunleavy
Snell
Hinrich
Teague

boozehound
08-16-2013, 10:54 AM

really, you didnt get this?

If you were (currently) a bulls fan, (then) it would have meant that lebron had signed with chicago. In other words, the only way you would every be a fan of a team is if your one true love had signed with them.

chips93
08-16-2013, 11:31 AM
1. nope. noah is a very good player but rose is clearly more impactful

2. im not really sure what the consensus opinion on jimmy buckets is, but id see him as a talented young player, with good upside, but unlikely to become an all-star. i havent seen a ton of him though, so im not too sure. definitely a top notch defender, and fits in thibs system very well.

3. they obviously need to improve the offense. they were 8th worst in the league on offense, and 6th best on defense. rose returning should help a lot, and if noah and butler can continue to improve they could improve enough to have a shot at taking out miami.

4. agree. boozer is a better scorer and passer, and when hes feeling it, you can run your offense through him for stretches, which cant be said about gibson. but gibson is miles better on defense and a much better athlete.

5. maybe rose has just spent the last 15 months shooting, and watching tape, and comes back a more well rounded pg, and leads the bulls to an elite offense.

boozehound
08-16-2013, 11:35 AM
why are some of these stickied but not the others? Its not like these two are particularly longer than the others

kshutts1
08-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Edit: Just read through all the responses, and I went more "answer the question"... but I don't think it's necessarily "creativity" that the Bulls lack, but rather a second scorer that can create his own shot, and then also a few (more?) 3p threats.

1) True, but only because we've seen it. Noah can lead them to the second round every year without Rose. But he would need a Rose to lead them to the Finals. I don't know Rose's ceiling without Noah.

2) Define THAT GOOD? Yes, he's pretty good now, and he certainly has the potential for 1st/2nd team All-D, along with a good scoring clip. Superstar status? Maybe, maybe not... But he certainly was not an All-Star caliber player last year, nor do I expect him to be one this year.

3) Good lord, yes.

4) As long as #3 is True, this is False. Boozer just offers more offensive diversity than Taj, and that's clearly necessary on a team so devoid of offensive talent.

5) Lebron. We've all seen what the Bulls can do, and they're probably close to maxed out in terms of how good they can be, can go, etc (with Butler being an exception). But as long as Lebron is teaming up with other stars in the East, and they are staying relatively healthy, I'm not sure the Bulls can get past him.

To Bagel:
I would revise the depth chart (unless you got it from a site/source). I would do it as such:

PG -- Rose/Hinrich/Teague
SG -- Butler/Hinrich/Snell
SF -- Deng/Dunleavy/Snell (obviously Butler plays here, too, but I don't put starts in multiple places like I do bench)
PF -- Boozer/Taj/Murphy
C -- Noah/Mohammed

kshutts1
08-16-2013, 12:14 PM
PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
C - Noah/Mohammed

Didn't see this when I made my "corrections". :cheers:

NumberSix
08-16-2013, 02:07 PM
really, you didnt get this?

If you were (currently) a bulls fan, (then) it would have meant that lebron had signed with chicago. In other words, the only way you would every be a fan of a team is if your one true love had signed with them.
But I only became a LeBron fan because he joined my team. Why the hell would I be a LeBron fan if he was a Bull?:wtf:

MTing
08-16-2013, 03:08 PM
False. D-Rose is their MVP. While Joakim is a pretty important part of their team, D-Rose is the guy thats going to have the ball in his hands in the 4th quarter and making all the plays.

False, I don't think he'll be an allstar or anything but he's the perfect role player. He stepped up big last season and hurt my Nets pretty bad in the playoffs. He'll be even better when Rose comes back and all the defense focuses on him.

True, I think if they want to take the next step and beat Miami, they have to improve their offense.

Disagree, unless Taj develops a consistent jumpshot like Boozer has, Boozer should stay starting and Taj should come off the bench for defensive matchups.

If Derrick Rose can find a way to score against LeBron James, the Bulls have a shot at the finals. Easier said then done though.

Dr. Cheesesteak
08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
why are some of these stickied but not the others? Its not like these two are particularly longer than the others
i was wondering that too lol

chips93
08-16-2013, 09:39 PM

:lol

Dengness9
08-18-2013, 05:36 PM

False. Joakim Noah is my dude. He's everything you want out of a player regardless of sport. I like to say that Derrick Rose is the heart of the Bulls but Jo is the soul. They are the top 2 players on the team clearly but Rose was one of the best players in the league and a former MVP. Derrick has a lot to prove again coming back but so does Joakim in the health department. Jo has missed A LOT of regular season games the last 3-4 years. It's time to limit his minutes slightly and make sure he is primed for the playoffs. This is the Bulls team as constructed, last chance at Miami as constructed.

"Before the 2011 draft, one NBA general manager said about Butler, "His story is one of the most remarkable I've seen in all my years of basketball. There were so many times in his life where he was set up to fail. Every time, he overcame just enormous odds. When you talk to him

poido123
08-19-2013, 06:12 AM

False. Joakim Noah is my dude. He's everything you want out of a player regardless of sport. I like to say that Derrick Rose is the heart of the Bulls but Jo is the soul. They are the top 2 players on the team clearly but Rose was one of the best players in the league and a former MVP. Derrick has a lot to prove again coming back but so does Joakim in the health department. Jo has missed A LOT of regular season games the last 3-4 years. It's time to limit his minutes slightly and make sure he is primed for the playoffs. This is the Bulls team as constructed, last chance at Miami as constructed.

"Before the 2011 draft, one NBA general manager said about Butler, "His story is one of the most remarkable I've seen in all my years of basketball. There were so many times in his life where he was set up to fail. Every time, he overcame just enormous odds. When you talk to him — and he's hesitant to talk about his life — you just have this feeling that this kid has greatness in him."............

I love that quote, Im not saying i think he will ever be a superstar or even an all-star(decent chance), but with where his defense was at last year combined with what looks to be an already passable outside/3pt shot(38%season/40%playoffs), a 40 inch vertical, and 6'7/220lb frame....there's a lot to like. He has the perfect coach and team to reach his potential. With Rose back, its hard to predict Jimmy's numbers, but those 2 are gonna be a problem for a lot of teams.

I will at least say their 4th quarter offensive creativity. This team has no real newcomers outside of Dunleavy, so improvement has to come from within and through continuity. I think Jimmy and Deng w/ Derrick in the 4th will really help Rose when getting doubled. Boozer needs to have another year like he did last year and the Bulls offense all together will be MUCH improved. I predict a top 5-7 offense.

I forget who hit it on the head but it's definitely a situational matter. If teams play small ball, especially Miami w/ Lebron at 4, then youre gonna probably have to go w/ Taj in the crunch since he and Joakim have shown the ability to stay w/ LBgay better than most bigs who have to switch onto him because of a pick. However we know Boozer is a much better scorer and happens to be a great passer most of the time. Thibs has had his hands full w/ this situation since Taj's rookie year.

INJURIES: Rose and Noah namely. Deng has been playing through a wrist injury that could have been surgically repaired 3 seasons ago. He doesn't get enough credit for his toughness. Deng also has had his longest break from basketball maybe in his whole career with missing the end of the playoffs and having the summer off w/ no commitments to England bball or anything else. Hinrich will absolutely miss some games but the 2nd unit REALLY needs him for the playoffs. He has always bothered Wade and steps up to the challenge against Miami.
This team has had one shot at Miami healthy in 2011 and that was when Derrick Rose was 21/22 and had not been out of the 1st round. Noah wasnt what he is now and Boozer was in his first year in Chicago and wasn't all that good. This team if healthy is as loaded as they have been in the Rose/Thibs era. I think if healthy the Bulls finally overcome the Heat if they meet in the playoffs, but i also don't think the Bulls will stay healthy enough. I just have to go w/ the track record of injuries the last 3 seasons. The Bulls are an injury plagued team. Will be interesting to see if Miami finally gets bad luck w/ injuries. And dont tell me Wade was injured last year, because that man is always injured and is only getting older and more broken down. Thats just who he is now.

Good work Dengness :applause:

I have written so much about the upcoming Bulls season, I just couldn't be fcked putting another post on it. But, I pretty much think the same way on you with this...Whether Bulls win or lose against the Heat this year, I figure a pretty big showdown will take place if everything falls right injury wise. This team is definately better than 2011, Dunleavy is the perfect addition and fit IMO.

Lets wait and see, offseason is killing me :cheers:

TheMan
08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
I'll say this, if healthy (big if), Bulls can beat Miami, especially considering Wade's history of injuries and big mileage the Heat are racking up with their previous deep playoffs runs. There will eventually be an East team that takes advantage of that, hopefully it'll be us:rockon:

Da Bulls:cheers:

Dengness9
08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Good work Dengness :applause:

I have written so much about the upcoming Bulls season, I just couldn't be fcked putting another post on it. But, I pretty much think the same way on you with this...Whether Bulls win or lose against the Heat this year, I figure a pretty big showdown will take place if everything falls right injury wise. This team is definately better than 2011, Dunleavy is the perfect addition and fit IMO.

Lets wait and see, offseason is killing me :cheers:

Word my dude! We have always seen eye to eye usually when it comes to our Bullies. Let's just hope for good health when it matters!!!!

Last year's offseason was awful because of how tragically the season ended....

But this offseason is worse to me because we thought we would have maybe seen Derrick play last year but since it didnt happen our expectations are even higher and we all just want our MVP back!

The return is coming and we know its gonna get wild.

Dengness9
08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
I'll say this, if healthy (big if), Bulls can beat Miami, especially considering Wade's history of injuries and big mileage the Heat are racking up with their previous deep playoffs runs. There will eventually be an East team that takes advantage of that, hopefully it'll be us:rockon:

Da Bulls:cheers:

:cheers:

Graviton
08-19-2013, 09:50 PM

False, though Noah is the most important part of the defense, Rose is their only elite offensive source and what will take them deep into playoffs.

By "that good" if you mean one of the new promising SFs that will develop into solid role players/3rd options then yes. He is in that Parsons/Barnes/Leonard tier and is steadily improving. His poise and maturity in the playoffs was something else. He guarded the best player on the planet for long stretches better than anyone else. He played 40+ minutes every game and gave the team everything he had. He never talked trash or got into the childish fights even when there was so much tension between Bulls and Heat players. He is a true professional, but I don't think he can be an all-star. Though he is worthy of All D second team and can be a 16/8/3/2/1 type player.

Neither. They just need shooters, they already have great ball and body movement. With Rose in 2012 they were a Top 3 most efficient offense. With Dunleavy and Butler on the wings and Rose breaking down the defense the offense should be much better this year. Though I still don't trust garbage Deng, he misses more WIDE OPEN 3s than anyone else. And as long as Deng is on the court and playing vs Lebron, James is guaranteed 30/8/8 on 60% every game. :oldlol:

Neither, both of them suck and have regressed. Boozer's D makes Bargnani and Pau Gasoft look like D Howard. But Gibson still hasn't developed an offensive game and is one dimensional himself. Boozer should be fine in regular season but come playoff time he will most likely vanish again when going up against Bosh. And I expect more shocked Noah faces when Boozer blows an assignment and gives up a wide open lane to the basket over and over.

Their shooting, if they can punish Miami for their swarming defense and overhelping on Rose's penetration, they have a good chance to advance. 2011 can't happen again when Rose gets triple teamed and they have no shooters to make Heat pay while Boozer/Deng disappear under the pressure.

Clutch
08-20-2013, 04:31 AM
False. Rose is still their best player but Noah isn't far behind in terms of importance.

He's good but we need to see how he'll develop. I don't expect him to become a star in this league.

True.

Depends on the situation.

Jimmy Butler. If he can develop into a star Bulls would be hard to beat.

LA Lakers
08-20-2013, 04:49 AM
No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we? :applause:

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310309

Today's team?

THE CHICAGO BULLS

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
SG - Butler/Dunleavy
SF - Deng/Snell/Thomas
C - Noah/Mohammed

Next up: Cleveland Cavaliers. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Cavaliers? Send me a PM with ideas.

1. False- Bulls cant get past Miami without a superstar. Noah is the teams defensive anchor but without Roses ability to create shots they can't hope to get past great defensive teams such as Pacers or Heat.
2. Hes a good role player.

3. Of course they gonna be limited when they don't have that go to scoring option in Rose.

4. More Taj Gibson, great hustle explosiveness. Boozer cant defend anyone and hes looked less and less impressive with his post game as the years go on. Now if he could actually get some lift back in himself obviously more Boozer.

5. Only 1 X Factor and we know who that is...

Thorpesaurous
08-20-2013, 09:48 AM

1) I'm going to say yes, Noah is more valuable than Rose, but only because of the layout of the depth, and the way the team plays. It's by no means a case that Noah is a better player than Rose in a vacuum. The front line depth on this team is a problem. The Tony Snell pick I understand, because he fits the mold of a Thibs player. He's basically another swing at Jimmy Butler. But when I wrote my mock draft, I had them choosing between Olynek and Dieng (of which I believe I wrote I'd take Olynek for the variation, and thought they'd go Dieng because he so fit their culture). Now I don't recollect off the top of my head how the draft fell, but I know there were lots of bigs, and I thought they'd be chasing one. Injuries or not, this is a team that played Nazr Mohammad significant minutes in the playoffs.
The offense is limited, and they Neeeed Rose more than most good teams need their star to get easy buckets for them, because they don't get them out of scheme. But defensively this team stays in almost every game, giving them a consistent punchers chance, and I think Noah is the keystone to that.

2) Jimmy Butler is THAT good. But I guess it depends on what THAT good means to you. My gut feeling is that these types of players have gone from being underrated, to being a little overrated because a nickname is being bestowed upon them. The 3-D player. Meaning shoot threes and defend. They're not the wings of 10-15 years ago when everyone was looking for extra ballhandling. As PG play has improved in the league, guys who on a playground would be "better players", guys with wider skillsets, have started to slip backwards to guys with more focused skillsets. Just D up, knock down open looks, and run with my guys. Why pay for more than that if you're not going to use it. Snell is certainly being groomed the same way. While Deng, a much more complete player, is almost certainly on his way out the door (albeit mainly for money reasons).

3) I absolutely agree that this team has to become more pliable offensively, and I actually think they will. Part is because they didn't have Rose so long last year, we saw some other options. Butler obviously broke out. Deng had a monster first half of the season. Boozer is limited, but he is a good option offensively on the block. I also am curious to see what they do with Dunleavy, who's not what he was, but does provide some ball handling that may let Rose play without the ball some.

4) I'd love to say yes to more Taj, but unfortunately due to the lack of offensive options on this team, Boozer's post game and mid range jumper are simply too hard to take off the floor. Now he doesn't fit this teams identity, and Taj does, but Taj to me fits better behind both guys. Meaning Less Nazr Mohommad. Which is good.

5) I'm gonna say Deng. It's a contract year, and the guy is almost never 100% by the end of the year. He blew his game out some without Rose around first half last year, and if he can maintain that with Rose around, this team becomes a lot better offensively.

Bucket_Nakedz
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
1. false

2. true

3. false

4. true

5. no injuries

I<3NBA
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Tralse. They both need each other.

False. Just another case of a player getting overhyped because he played good against Lebron.

True.

Disagree. The Bulls are already lacking in offensive firepower. They can afford to feature Boozer for the extra offense. They can't afford to feature Gibson for the extra defense he provides.

another CONSISTENT scoring option aside from Derrick Rose. Boozer is too inconsistent.

guy
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
False. D-Rose is their MVP. While Joakim is a pretty important part of their team, D-Rose is the guy thats going to have the ball in his hands in the 4th quarter and making all the plays.

False, I don't think he'll be an allstar or anything but he's the perfect role player. He stepped up big last season and hurt my Nets pretty bad in the playoffs. He'll be even better when Rose comes back and all the defense focuses on him.

True, I think if they want to take the next step and beat Miami, they have to improve their offense.

Disagree, unless Taj develops a consistent jumpshot like Boozer has, Boozer should stay starting and Taj should come off the bench for defensive matchups.

If Derrick Rose can find a way to score against LeBron James, the Bulls have a shot at the finals. Easier said then done though.

1. False. No way to really quantify, but I'm more confident in their chances with if they had Rose instead of Noah instead of vice-versa. They don't win a championship without either of them though.

2. True. Assuming THAT GOOD means starter on a championship team that can give the elite players fits defensively and is capable of having a 20-25 point game and hitting big shots. If its all-star then that remains to be seen.

3. True. Obvious.

4. Agree. With Rose back, I think Gibson is more valuable. Boozer usually is a letdown in the playoffs anyway.

5. Taj Gibson. If he can improve his offense and handle more minutes, and make Boozer more expendable in the process, it would be huge. We already know what we will get from Rose, Noah, Deng, and Boozer.

Fresh Kid
08-22-2013, 01:19 PM
FALSE
FALSE:lol
TRUE
less boozer.
maybe hinrich but it wont happen:oldlol:

Jailblazers7
08-22-2013, 03:24 PM

I think it depends on how you define success for the Bulls. As we saw, Noah can lead them to a top 4ish spot in the east and some success through defense and rebounding but they flat out can't contend without Rose. The Bulls have a big advantage in the regular season with their tight defense and focused effort thanks to Thib but that advantage shrinks in the playoffs. They need a guy like Rose who can create easy shots in the playoffs. The Bulls were basically just a good defensive team who shot a lot of jumpers last year.

I'm a big fan of his mostly because of his history of self improvemnt. As an underclassman at Marquette I like him much but he really recreated himself as a player by his senior year. That improvement has continued in the NBA. I think he will be an important piece for winning games but never an all-star.

I think this is true. Rose will boost their offensive versatility by simply playing but they could certainly benefit from a more creative mindset. I would look to involve Noah more offensive because he is such a good passer out of the post.

Disagree. I think Gibson should play more based on time and situation but the Bulls need Boozer's more gifted offensive skill set on the court. Gibson is in the role that he is best fit for already.

I think it is probably Marquis Teague simply because he is an unknown quantity. If he takes a leap in his development and becomes a back-up PG that can play aggressive enough to pressure the defense, then I think the Bulls are a much more dangerous team. The Bulls need to be able to score without Rose on the court.

Pointguard
08-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Today's team?

THE CHICAGO BULLS

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Teague
SG - Butler/Dunleavy
SF - Deng/Snell/Thomas
C - Noah/Mohammed

[B]1. TRUE or FALSE: Joakim Noah is more important to the Bulls success than Derrick Rose.
The Bulls won their most games when Noah missed a lot of games and had his worse year in recent memory. They went their farthest in the playoffs when he had his worse playoffs. He was 8 and 10 and getting benched in the 4th quarters for bad play. I love him but he isn't a franchise player yet - he is consistently a very good player. which is critical for a lot wins. Rose, when healthy broke down more defenses than any player playing. Right now there might be only three or four players that do that consistently in the league, but none at the level of Rose.

One year is never good enough to evaluate a player (see Lin). You don't know until the scouting report goes gung ho at a player. With that said, yeah he's a player.

They ran plays last year but only excelled when Nate Robinson dropped the play book in the playoffs. So they still need to develop offensively.

Yes. Taj is more versatile and uses his height better. Better defender and just as creative offensively as Booze. Not as skilled yet but can attain that level.

If Jimmy Butler improves and becomes a legit second option the Bulls can win it all with a healthy Rose.

Kellogs4toniee
08-28-2013, 05:48 AM

I think it depends on how you define success for the Bulls. As we saw, Noah can lead them to a top 4ish spot in the east and some success through defense and rebounding but they flat out can't contend without Rose. The Bulls have a big advantage in the regular season with their tight defense and focused effort thanks to Thib but that advantage shrinks in the playoffs. They need a guy like Rose who can create easy shots in the playoffs. The Bulls were basically just a good defensive team who shot a lot of jumpers last year.

I'm a big fan of his mostly because of his history of self improvemnt. As an underclassman at Marquette I like him much but he really recreated himself as a player by his senior year. That improvement has continued in the NBA. I think he will be an important piece for winning games but never an all-star.

I think this is true. Rose will boost their offensive versatility by simply playing but they could certainly benefit from a more creative mindset. I would look to involve Noah more offensive because he is such a good passer out of the post.

Disagree. I think Gibson should play more based on time and situation but the Bulls need Boozer's more gifted offensive skill set on the court. Gibson is in the role that he is best fit for already.

I think it is probably Marquis Teague simply because he is an unknown quantity. If he takes a leap in his development and becomes a back-up PG that can play aggressive enough to pressure the defense, then I think the Bulls are a much more dangerous team. The Bulls need to be able to score without Rose on the court.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Kurosawa0
08-29-2013, 03:21 PM

False. As someone that has argued they should've kept Osik and moved Noah, I can't not say Rose. To have any chance at beating Indy or Miami, Derrick Rose has to be a top 3-5 player in the league. They won't win without Noah either, but if Rose isn't the missing piece, nothing is.

False. He did a remarkable job on LeBron in the playoffs, but Jimmy Butler also averaged just under 9 points a game last year. He upped that to 13 during the playoffs, but I still need to see a little more until I go THAT far.

True. Miami has had their number for that very reason. For as great of a defense as Chicago plays, it always seems like it's Miami's defense that is the story when the two teams meet in the playoffs. Always feel a little too easy to stop.

Disagree. Gibson already plays about 20-25 minutes a night. That's about right. Honestly, the Bulls need to upgrade the position all together, but that's another question.

Jimmy Butler. If Butler can make threes and guard LeBron as well as he did last year, Chicago will have a great shot. You need five guys that can hurt you to beat Miami. For the first time, the Bulls might have a shot at that with Butler.