PDA

View Full Version : Do Duncan or Parker Get Blamed for Anything?

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
These two seem to be untouchable from any kind of criticism. Duncan was a beast at times in the Finals. But the man missed a point blank ****ing layup over Shane Battier. That was HUGE. That literally would have tied the game in the final minute. And Parker seems to be getting the injury excuse. But what about when he flamed out in 2011 and 2012? I'm not hating, Parker an TD both have arguments to be top 10-12 players in the league. But these two literally get blamed for nothing.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:20 AM
It is astonishing how little criticism those two received for their performances in the Finals. The same people giving Parker a break for his "injuries" would've been on Lebron's ass if he used the same excuse.

And I can guarantee you if Wade, Lebron, or Kobe missed a point blank layup, they wouldn't hear the end of it. But with Duncan, all you hear is how he's such a "warrior". Huge double standards amongst fans.

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
A guy that has led his team to 4 rings and five finals and somehow manages to still be elite at the age of 37 doesn't deserve criticism. He's the perfect pro and seemingly has been that forever.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:25 AM
You can pinpoint a thousand different reasons they lost the series (Manu poor display, Duncan missed layup, Kawhi missed free throw, ect.) but at their respective ages they took by far the most stacked team in the league (and arguably of this generation) to the very ledge. Even Lebron was about to jump off before that Ray Allen 3.

Not many teams in the current league have the ability to do what the Spurs did this past season. Not to mention with most if not all their main components NOT even in the prime. Duncan is past his, Parker is past his, Ginobili is past his, Kawhi hasn't reached his. The only argument for a guy who is at his career best is probably Danny Green, because he most likely won't see too many more huge shooting displays again in his life.

At the end of the day, this Spurs team who was widely proclaimed done almost half a decade ago had Miami's backs up against the wall and they needed one of the biggest bail out shots from the best shooter in NBA history to desperately save them, despite already having three superstars on the roster.

If the Spurs main core had been anywhere closer to their primes this series clearly goes a different route. Any arguments there?

EDIT:

A guy that has led his team to 4 rings and five finals and somehow manages to still be elite at the age of 37 doesn't deserve criticism. He's the perfect pro and seemingly has been that forever.

No joke. The man has been flawless his entire career. Yet the first opportunity Lebron fans want him to get publically crushed on the same level as Lebron with the 'decision' or the 2011 Finals. :lol:

Please, the guy was due for a loss in the Finals. And losing by a bounce or two when leading your team at the age of 37? That's just Duncan being the legendary big man he is. He deserves no fault.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
You can pinpoint a thousand different reasons they lost the series (Manu poor display, Duncan missed layup, Kawhi missed free throw, ect.) but at their respective ages they took by far the most stacked team in the league (and arguably of this generation) to the very ledge. Even Lebron was about to jump off before that Ray Allen 3.

Not many teams in the current league have the ability to do what the Spurs did this past season. Not to mention with most if not all their main components NOT even in the prime. Duncan is past his, Parker is past his, Ginobili is past his, Kawhi hasn't reached his. The only argument for a guy who is at his career best is probably Danny Green, because he most likely won't see too many more huge shooting displays again in his life.

At the end of the day, this Spurs team who was widely proclaimed done almost half a decade ago had Miami's backs up against the wall and they needed one of the biggest bail out shots from the best shooter in NBA history to desperately save them, despite already having three superstars on the roster.

If the Spurs main core had been anywhere closer to their primes this series clearly goes a different route. Any arguments there?

Got any more excuses? Spurs choked. Plain and simple.

JtotheIzzo
08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Parker used to be Popovich's whipping post, and they wanted to sign Jason Kidd, learn your history troll.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Lol I don't even like Kobe. But if he can be criticized, so can Duncan at his age. It's kind of funny with Duncan. The guy dominated at times in the Finals. Looked like the best PF in the league again the last two games. But once he ****s up we start to hear about his age and how he needs to be respected. Same shit we here all the time.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:30 AM

:applause: Great quality observation and response based on your fluid NBA knowledge. Just the type of response I've come to expect from these kids on ISH who think they know the game.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Parker used to be Popovich's whipping post, and they wanted to sign Jason Kidd, learn your history troll.
Next time you try to make a point, make sure you actually have one. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

thabisyo
08-15-2013, 11:31 AM

This. Duncan is an untouchable in this league cause he is a "nice guy". i am tired of this nonsense of him never being held responsible. if lebron, wade, melo or kobe did what he did :facepalm

Jameerthefear
He's wasn't even in during the point where they really lost the series (Chris Bosh rebound)

TMT
Lol I don't even like Kobe. But if he can be criticized, so can Duncan at his age. It's kind of funny with Duncan. The guy dominated at times in the Finals. Looked like the best PF in the league again the last two games. But once he ****s up we start to hear about his age and how he needs to be respected. Same shit we here all the time.

Can you give me an example of all the 37 year old bigs in the league who willed their teams to the very top like Duncan did this year? Kareem is the only one that comes to mind. Maybe you should respect the greats of the game instead of expecting unearthly things from a man who was proclaimed done 4-5 years ago.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:32 AM

EDIT:

No joke. The man has been flawless his entire career. Yet the first opportunity Lebron fans want him to get publically crushed on the same level as Lebron with the 'decision' or the 2011 Finals. :lol:

Please, the guy was due for a loss in the Finals. And losing by a bounce or two when leading your team at the age of 37? That's just Duncan being the legendary big man he is. He deserves no fault.

Holy Shit, that is a lot of excuses :lol

Jameerthefear
08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
What the fvck are you talking about? You and these other stans in this thread are the only people who criticize Kobe. Kobe doesn't even get much hate on this board other then from stans.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
This. Duncan is an untouchable in this league cause he is a "nice guy". i am tired of this nonsense of him never being held responsible. if lebron, wade, melo or kobe did what he did :facepalm

Let me ask you this:

What is the difference between the attempt that Duncan missed and the desperation three that Lebron launched up before being saved by Ray Allen? Both big crunch time buckets missed, yet Lebron's ass was saved so he gets no blame. :confusedshrug:

thabisyo
08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
He's wasn't even in during the point where they really lost the series (Chris Bosh rebound)

The series was lost in game 7. As long as ou can still come back, the series is not lost. Miami outperformed Spurs in OT of game 6. That only gave miami a chance to win but spurs still had the upper had till lebron's jumper became wetish

JtotheIzzo
08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Next time you try to make a point, make sure you actually have one. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

It means he used to get blamed for a lot of shit you moron, ergo facto trollo retardo your point and premise is negated.

People shit on Duncan very little because he plays the game the right way.

TMT
Holy Shit, that is a lot of excuses :lol

No legitimate response as usual. :facepalm

The level of NBA discussions on this board is reaching an all time low. Will someone of a decent intelligence level in the game of basketball care to have a conversation with me? :oldlol:

Jameerthefear
The series was lost in game 7. As long as ou can still come back, the series is not lost. Miami outperformed Spurs in OT of game 6. That only gave miami a chance to win but spurs still had the upper had till lebron's jumper became wetish
Miami had all the momentum is my point. Not to mention they were on the road.

SilkkTheShocker
Doesn't matter. He missed the game tying layup over a player a good amount shorter than him. Lebron, Kobe, Dwight, or Rose would have been crucified if they pulled that kind of shit.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:35 AM
:applause: Great quality observation and response based on your fluid NBA knowledge. Just the type of response I've come to expect from these kids on ISH who think they know the game.

Did you even what the thread is about? It has nothing to do with age. Kobe is still getting criticized at this age and if he was the one that missed a point-blank layup in the Finals, everyone would be calling him a choker despite having won so much. But then again you think he's flawless, so there's no point in conversing with you.

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 11:35 AM
That's because you have that silly troll perspective where you need to nitpick great players. I don't.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:36 AM
It means he used to get blamed for a lot of shit you moron, ergo facto trollo retardo your point and premise is negated.

People shit on Duncan very little because he plays the game the right way.
Another terrible post from you. Parker getting criticized by Pop on 2003 has nothing to do with what's going on now. Try to keep up, boy

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Doesn't matter. He missed the game tying layup over a player a good amount shorter than him. Lebron, Kobe, Dwight, or Rose would have been crucified if they pulled that kind of shit.

Lebron was shooting over much smaller players when clanking those threes at the end of Game 6. So what's the difference between that and the Duncan missed attempt we're talking about right now?

Jameerthefear
08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Dwight and Rose don't have the resume to get passes. Especially Dwight. Kobe only gets serious criticism from people like you, so that's a dumb point. Duncan doesn't have the same bogus "choker" label that Lebron was labeled with. (even though their not). Seriously if you thought about this for like 10 seconds maybe you'd be able to understand...

TMT
Did you even what the thread is about? It has nothing to do with age. Kobe is still getting criticized at this age and if he was the one that missed a point-blank layup in the Finals, everyone would be calling him a choker despite having won so much. But then again you think he's flawless, so there's no point in conversing with you.

So, you are saying Tim Duncan is a choker because he missed one layup in one game of the NBA Finals at the age of 37? :eek:

HoopsFanNumero1
Let me ask you this:

What is the difference between the attempt that Duncan missed and the desperation three that Lebron launched up before being saved by Ray Allen? Both big crunch time buckets missed, yet Lebron's ass was saved so he gets no blame. :confusedshrug:

One was a point-blank layup...:facepalm

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
That's because you have that silly troll perspective where you need to nitpick great players. I don't.
He missed the game tying layup in game 7 of the Finals. Is that really nitpicking? How many stars could get away with that?

Jameerthefear
08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
He missed the game tying layup in game 7 of the Finals. Is that really nitpicking? How many stars could get away with that?
How many stars have 4 rings and 3 FMVPs?

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
So, you are saying Tim Duncan is a choker because he missed one layup in one game of the NBA Finals at the age of 37? :eek:

Nice strawman. I don't think you understand what this thread is about. No one is doubting how good Duncan is. That's not what the thread is about.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Nice strawman. I don't think you understand what this thread is about. No one is doubting how good Duncan is. That's not what the thread is about.

If you have a point make it. Don't dick people around in circles and expect them to respect what you are saying, which hasn't been much so far. Why don't you present me with a post longer than 2 sentences with your full stance?

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Lebron was shooting over much smaller players when clanking those threes at the end of Game 6. So what's the difference between that and the Duncan missed attempt we're talking about right now?
Lebron hit huge shots down the stretch of game 6. He got the 3 up cut the lead down to three. And he hit what ended up being the game winning points in OT. Duncan's on the other hand disappeared in both second halves of games 6 and 7

tpols
08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Kobe has led his team to multiple rings, and even more finals, yet somehow manages to be elite (27/6/5) in his 17th season and he gets a shit load of criticism.:oldlol:

He will be getting ridiculed all year long as the lakers struggle to compete as he was last year.

If Lebron or Kobe ever lost with that missed layup one minute left 4th Q game 7... they get labeled chokers for forever pretty much.

Legends66NBA7
08-15-2013, 11:42 AM
So, is this just perception based ? Because it's pretty vague.

Real Men Wear Green
Yes. Went to the Finals 5 times and won 4. Almost no one has a better finals record. "Oooh, he missed a lay-up, let's criticize him!" Please. He's earned the respect that those of us that have some knowledge of history give him.

TMT
Lebron hit huge shots down the stretch of game 6. He got the 3 up cut the lead down to three. And he hit what ended up being the game winning points in OT. Duncan's on the other hand disappeared in both second halves of games 6 and 7

Please, Lebron went into chuck mode at the end of Game 6. He hit one, yipee and everyone thinks he's God. Yet when the loss is about to be on him, and suddenly Ray Allen hands Lebron the biggest bail out of his career everyone thinks James deserves the praise. Makes zero sense.

Has any other player been given so much praise for the work of his teammates?

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Doesn't matter. That's not an excuse for missing a layup. A game tying layup in game 7 of the NBA finals. It was a total choke but it gets blown over like it didnt cost them the game

thabisyo
08-15-2013, 11:43 AM

what does that have to do with the thread? the question is does he get blamed for anything :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Kobe has led his team to multiple rings, and even more finals, yet somehow manages to be elite (27/6/5) in his 17th season and he gets a shit load of criticism.:oldlol:

He will be getting ridiculed all year long as the lakers struggle to compete as he was last year.

If Lebron or Kobe ever lost with that missed layup one minute left 4th Q game 7... they get labeled chokers for forever pretty much.
That's because James and Bryant trolls refuse to stop slap-fighting. The behavior of trolls justifies nothing.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Doesn't matter. That's not an excuse for missing a layup. A game tying layup in game 7 of the NBA finals. It was a total choke but it gets blown over like it didnt cost them the game

Pathetic. If you are nitpicking this one layup to this extent, would you mind me nitpicking all the things Lebron did wrong in the 2011 Finals? :oldlol:

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
If you have a point make it. Don't dick people around in circles and expect them to respect what you are saying, which hasn't been much so far. Why don't you present me with a post longer than 2 sentences with your full stance?

I didn't know I have to write an essay to present my view point. The OP is saying that if Kobe or Lebron had the same performance as Duncan, they would get crucified by the media and fans. But since we're talking about Duncan, you barely hear a word about it. Instead, he actually gets praised. Take game 2 for example. Duncan shot 3-13 and scored 9 points and yet, he barely got any criticism.

Somebody else said it best in another thread. Only Duncan's legacy gets better after losing a game 7 in the Finals.

Jameerthefear
08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
what does that have to do with the thread? the question is does he get blamed for anything :facepalm
It has everything to do with it. Context and past reputation when blaming a player matters a lot. Anyway I'm out of this thread. Just a bunch of trolls man.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Pathetic. If you are nitpicking this one layup to this extent, would you mind me nitpicking all the things Lebron did wrong in the 2011 Finals? :oldlol:

That's the freaking point. They do get nitpicked.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Bottom line, there is no reason for Duncan to be crucified. Do you realize if the Spurs had won he would practically be on MJ status as one of the best winners of all time? 5 for 5 championships is a godly NBA feat.

Even the greatest in today's league have dismal percentages when it comes to the Finals:

Lebron (2 for 4) = 50%
Durant (0 for 1) = 0%
Kobe (5 for 7) = 71.5%

Fact is if there was any NBA Finals that Duncan was allowed to make a mistake in, it was this one.

thabisyo
08-15-2013, 11:50 AM
It has everything to do with it. Context and past reputation when blaming a player matters a lot. Anyway I'm out of this thread. Just a bunch of trolls man.

So if you have won in the past you can not be blamed as a superstar even though you were directly responsible :coleman:

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Bottom line, there is no reason for Duncan to be crucified. Do you realize if the Spurs had won he would practically be on MJ status as one of the best winners of all time? 5 for 5 championships is a godly NBA feat.

Even the greatest in today's league have dismal percentages when it comes to the Finals:

Lebron (2 for 4) = 50%
Durant (0 for 1) = 0%
Kobe (5 for 7) = 71.5%

Fact is if there was any NBA Finals that Duncan was allowed to make a mistake in, it was this one.

Actually that's an opinion. And that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If the Spurs win, Duncan gets all the credit but if they lose, he gets none of the blame. Can't have it both ways.

SilkkTheShocker
Yes. Went to the Finals 5 times and won 4. Almost no one has a better finals record. "Oooh, he missed a lay-up, let's criticize him!" Please. He's earned the respect that those of us that have some knowledge of history give him.
Yea, there is no point in debating with you with that kind of thinking. It was a game tying layup in the 7th game of the Finals. Context, people. Stop acting like it was just any old layup in a regular season game

TMT
I didn't know I have to write an essay to present my view point. The OP is saying that if Kobe or Lebron had the same performance as Duncan, they would get crucified by the media and fans. But since we're talking about Duncan, you barely hear a word about it. Instead, he actually gets praised. Take game 2 for example. Duncan shot 3-13 and scored 9 points and yet, he barely got any criticism.

Somebody else said it best in another thread. Only Duncan's legacy gets better after losing a game 7 in the Finals.

If Lebron or Kobe led their teams to the Finals at the age of 37, and lost would you think they deserved to be crucified by the media for it?

Fact is, Duncan's previously perfect Finals record gives him some leeway this year. Not to mention the fact that he's 37, which apparently is the same as being 25 when it comes to this discussion. :facepalm

DMAVS41
08-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Please listen.

The difference is because you have Kobe fans and some Lebron fans claiming they are so clutch. It's a huge reason used (or at least used to be used before we proved it false) as to why Kobe was the best player...all you stans would call Kobe the most clutch player in the league.

Who is ever arguing for Duncan...and the first thing out of his mouth is..."Duncan is so clutch...that is what makes him great"

It's an apples to oranges comparison at best.

And, for the last time, Duncan was criticized for it...but it also wasn't a game winning situation either. He missed a layup with 47 seconds left in the game down 2...that is hardly the same thing as costing your team a chance to win like blowing the same shot with 5 seconds left or something.

It's not hard people...

And Kobe got criticized this year for choosing, yet again, to not even pretend to try to play defense. I know it's nice to just ignore that completely, but he hasn't even attempted it since 2010 really. And in the league today with the rules and how great Kobe is offensively...putting up offensive numbers while literally resting half the game on a bad team...just isn't as impressive as you make it out to be. But that is a different point...because I actually propped Kobe all year and had him as a top 5 player most of the year. So we agree for the most part here...but to act like it was some ungodly year is just not honest.

And it's also disingenuous to talk like that about Lebron or Kobe. Really? They'd be labeled chokers forever? Kobe is a pathetic 7 of 29 on game winning shots in the playoffs for his career. He choked horribly in the 04 finals, quit in a game 7 in 06, blew a 24 point lead in a crucial game 4 in the 08 finals. Lebron has had a number of meltdowns...the game 5 in 2010 against the Celtics. The finals in 11 in which he could not have played worse. Are they forever labeled chokers? Nope. Don't come on here with this bullshit.

SilkkTheShocker
TMT desperately trying to turn this into a Lebron thread now that his boy is getting burned. Pathetic :oldlol:

Real Men Wear Green
Yea, there is no point in debating with you with that kind of thinking. It was a game tying layup in the 7th game of the Finals. Context, people. Stop acting like it was just any old layup in a regular season game
True, there is little point to a troll arguing with me. No player never fails.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Way worse things have been done by way less successful NBA players.
This layup is nothing compared to:

- Lebron's 2011 Finals
- Mavericks losing to the Warriors in 2007
- Lakers not winning it all in 04

When it comes down to it, one layup at the age of 37 doesn't define Duncan's well established successful NBA career. He's still one of the greatest winners in the game ever.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Yes, but some get a lot more criticism than others for failing.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:56 AM
TMT desperately trying to turn this into a Lebron thread now that his boy is getting burned. Pathetic :oldlol:

This kid is so delusional, he's trolling himself. :lol

Why don't you respond to a single solid point I'm making, Silk? You are still showing everyone you know nothing about basketball expect for the exact proportions of Lebron's body which you are using to built that pure gold statue of him in your closet. :oldlol:

SilkkTheShocker

How did you become a mod? You sound like a child right now calling me a troll because im getting the best of you in a debate. Grow up.

Real Men Wear Green
Yes, but some get a lot more criticism than others for failing.
Again, the behavior of trolls justifies nothing.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Actually that's an opinion. And that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If the Spurs win, Duncan gets all the credit but if they lose, he gets none of the blame. Can't have it both ways.

How is this an opinion? Was Duncan required to go 5-5 in order to be considered a good player? :lol

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Way worse things have been done by way less successful NBA players.
This layup is nothing compared to:

- Lebron's 2011 Finals
- Mavericks losing to the Warriors in 2007
- Lakers not winning it all in 04

When it comes down to it, one layup at the age of 37 doesn't define Duncan's well established successful NBA career. He's still one of the greatest winners in the game ever.

All those player got blamed for those things. Duncan gets away with a ton. Always has.

TMT
08-15-2013, 11:58 AM
All those player got blamed for those things. Duncan gets away with a ton. Always has.

This is seriously the best response you could come up with? :facepalm Way to be specific. This is why no one takes you seriously.

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
How did you become a mod? You sound like a child right now calling me a troll because im getting the best of you in a debate. Grow up.
You can think what you want. You started a stupid thread complaining that one of the greatest players of all time doesn't get criticised enough. And so far this thread has changed nothing because rational people know that no one wins all the time. It really is that simple. You can't understand this because you're just that simple.

Legends66NBA7
08-15-2013, 12:00 PM
After reading through the thread, here's why I think they "don't get blamed for anything":

1) They are in a small market. Less media, less attraction, less people caring about the San Antonio Spurs.

2) The organization has made it a point to not go the media, especially the national media, to talk about any problems within the organization or speak about conflicts with other teams. This is the exact opposite of what the 12-13 Lakers squad did.

3) Duncan and Parker are for the most part true professionals on and off the court, especially Duncan. I mean, even that whole divorce thing with his wife, not many brought it up as something that would be bothering him on and off the court (not making an excuse, I'm just saying).

4) Biggest reason here: media and the fans perception and attitude towards these players. Again, there's nothing but nice things to say about their franchise and these players in terms of the media. They've called one of the greatest run franchises in terms of any sport. The fans ? Have respected them greatly and probably have blamed them in the past, but the good times always outweigh the bad times. I mean, they've cranked out 50+ win seasons in EVERY single season they've been together ! How the hell can anyone blame them THAT much after other franchises would even take one of their seasons ?

5) Nitpicking argument for them because other players/fan bases get nitpicked ? It honestly comes from how these fan conduct themselves and the media exposure. So retired guys like Magic, Bird, Jordan and current guys like James, Bryant, Melo, Durant, etc... are all getting blamed because their flashy, high scoring, show signs of high charisma for the most part, etc... So they are going to get nitpicked like hell. To be honest, if these Finals are going to be nitpicked to Duncan and Parker, so be it. 2011 and 2012, fine. Does that really outweight what they've done overall ? No. Just like the future generation, nobody will bring up all the bad times in deep length for guys like James and Bryant (outside, I'm sure, from online websites). They will just say they were great and won titles. The end.

TMT
08-15-2013, 12:00 PM
You can think what you want. You started a stupid thread complaining that one of the greatest players of all time doesn't get criticised enough. And so far this thread has changed nothing because rational people know that no one wins all the time. It really is that simple. You can't understand this because you're just that simple.

:applause:

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:01 PM
This is seriously the best response you could come up with? :facepalm Way to be specific. This is why no one takes you seriously.

So is that why you have contributed so many posts to my thread?

TMT
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM
So is that why you have contributed so many posts to my thread?

What does the topic of your thread have to do with you having absolutely zero relevant mental material on this subject?

Seriously, Silk, stop making yourself look bad.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Missing a point blank layup in Game 7 of the Finals is a gigantic **** up. Im sorry you don't understand the game. This isn't little league where every gets ice cream win or lose. You can't just sugarcoat a mistake like that. It cost them the game and the series.

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Missing a point blank layup in Game 7 of the Finals is a gigantic **** up. Im sorry you don't understand the game. This isn't little league where every gets ice cream win or lose. You can't just sugarcoat a mistake like that. It cost them the game and the series.
And yet still people that know ball don't come down hard on TD. So, too bad. You can just stay mad about it as you clearly can't accept reality.

TMT
08-15-2013, 12:07 PM

So, one missed layup at the age of 37 in the Finals = GIGANTIC F*CK UP

So how would you describe being 26, the proclaimed best player in the league, playing next to Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and losing in 6 to the Dallas Mavericks? :lol

If you can give me a straight answer to this I won't post again in your precious thread, Silk.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:07 PM
What does the topic of your thread have to do with you having absolutely zero relevant mental material on this subject?

Seriously, Silk, stop making yourself look bad.

I made my points already. You have been the one desperately trying to change the topic every chance you get. Its not my fault you and the unqualified moderator are getting upset. And again, you say no ones takes me seriously, yet you respond again to my posts. :confusedshrug: Like I said, the man missed a point blank layup in game 7 of the Finals. You can talk about Duncan's past achievements all you want. It was a gigantic choke.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:09 PM
And yet still people that know ball don't come down hard on TD. So, too bad. You can just stay mad about it as you clearly can't accept reality.

The point of the thread is that Duncan doesn't get blamed for anything. Kobe has 5 rings and has been playing since 1996. Do you really believe he would have gotten the same pass that Duncan did for missing that layup?

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
So, one missed layup at the age of 37 in the Finals = GIGANTIC F*CK UP

So how would you describe being 26, the proclaimed best player in the league, playing next to Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and losing in 6 to the Dallas Mavericks? :lol

If you can give me a straight answer to this I won't post again in your precious thread, Silk.

1. You're once again not taking into context just how important that layup was.
2. LeBron got crucified for the 2011 Finals. Duncan doesn't get blamed for anything.

riseagainst
08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
another reason why Duncan is so overrated as a player. People always on his side because he's nice. Not criticisms.

rhythmic
08-15-2013, 12:11 PM
I love how Duncan's poor or mediocre performances just get dusted on the carpet yet every great game this guy has is consistently highlighted.

I wish LeBron, Wade or Kobe had that same respect.
And yes it's RESPECT. Duncan is a legend and he gets the love he deserves.
Unfortunately, the other three mentioned get so much underserved criticism from haters that their true worth is never appreciated or recognized. :rolleyes:

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 12:12 PM
The point of the thread is that Duncan doesn't get blamed for anything. Kobe has 5 rings and has been playing since 1996. Do you really believe he would have gotten the same pass that Duncan did for missing that layup?
People that know ball would shrug it off. Trolls like you wouldn't stop sniping. The end.

TMT
08-15-2013, 12:12 PM

No one has the credentials and success Duncan had up to the point where he lost in the Finals, so obviously he's in a case of his own. If anyone else (Kobe, Lebron, whoever) were 4 for 4 on championships going into their 5th at 37 years of age and then losing, they would get the same treatment Duncan is now.

Obviously he doesn't deserve the completely lack of disrepect you are giving him now. Maybe you are trying to overcompensate for all the hate and disrespect that Lebron has rightfully deserved the past couple of years but stop trying to take it out on one of the greatest and nearly flawless big men of all time.

TMT
08-15-2013, 12:14 PM
1. You're once again not taking into context just how important that layup was.
2. LeBron got crucified for the 2011 Finals. Duncan doesn't get blamed for anything.

:roll:

Still can't even answer a simple question with a direct response.

Duncan's missed layup is nothing compared to Lebron's choke job. So why do you want everyone to act like they are the same thing? Get over it.

HoopsFanNumero1
08-15-2013, 12:15 PM
No one has the credentials and success Duncan had up to the point where he lost in the Finals, so obviously he's in a case of his own. If anyone else (Kobe, Lebron, whoever) were 4 for 4 on championships going into their 5th at 37 years of age and then losing, they would get the same treatment Duncan is now.

Obviously he doesn't deserve the completely lack of disrepect you are giving him now. Maybe you are trying to overcompensate for all the hate and disrespect that Lebron has rightfully deserved the past couple of years but stop trying to take it out on one of the greatest and nearly flawless big men of all time.

So let's get this straight. Duncan is perfect, flawless, godlike and deserves no criticism.

Lebron, Kobe, and Wade deserve all the criticism they get because they've lost in the Finals before. Is that your reasoning?

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:15 PM
People that know ball would shrug it off. Trolls like you wouldn't stop sniping. The end.

They would shrug off missing a game tying layup in game 7 of the NBA Finals? Hate to break it to you, but calling me a troll doesn't help your retarded argument, Corky.

TMT
08-15-2013, 12:17 PM
So let's get this straight. Duncan is perfect, flawless, godlike and deserves no criticism.

Lebron, Kobe, and Wade deserve all the criticism they get because they've lost in the Finals before. Is that your reasoning?

As far as winning championships goes, yeah Duncan is one step below MJ who was a perfect 6 for 6. Is that so hard of a concept to grasp? Not saying Duncan deserves no criticism, but it certainly shouldn't be on the level of Lebron and Kobe for reasons I've repeated several times.

Real Men Wear Green
08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
They would shrug off missing a game tying layup in game 7 of the NBA Finals? Hate to break it to you, but calling me a troll doesn't help your retarded argument, Corky.
Again you fail to realize that non-trolls universally recognize Bryant's greatness. We don't harp on the 0-4 vs. Utah as a teenager. Or anything else. Maybe he shoots too much, maybe he's too abrasive but a guy with 5 rings as his team's first or second-best player has to be doing something right.

Really, what are you expecting? He didn't commit murder, he missed a shot. Too bad, move on. Your inability to do so is one of the reasons why you're just a troll.

SCdac
08-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Kobe fanboys grasping at straws to pick apart players that are (Duncan) or will probably end up higher (Lebron) on the GOAT list :oldlol:

"Why did 37 year old Duncan not play like 21 year old Duncan??? What a chump!!!"

Fresh Kid
08-15-2013, 12:28 PM
no because popavich, ginobli and green's bitch ass should get blamed.

All Net
08-15-2013, 12:31 PM

this

SpurrDurr
08-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Hit me up when either Kobe or Lebron at 37 will lead a team into NBA finals as the best player while outplaying the current best players in their positions

imdaman99
08-15-2013, 12:39 PM
trolls on a mission to get lebron into the top 10 already :rockon:

wait your turn, he will be in soon enough :facepalm

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Again you fail to realize that non-trolls universally recognize Bryant's greatness. We don't harp on the 0-4 vs. Utah as a teenager. Or anything else. Maybe he shoots too much, maybe he's too abrasive but a guy with 5 rings as his team's first or second-best player has to be doing something right.

Really, what are you expecting? He didn't commit murder, he missed a shot. Too bad, move on. Your inability to do so is one of the reasons why you're just a troll.

Yea, its not like Duncan missed a point blank layup in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. It totally didn't cost the Spurs the series or anything. :oldlol:

rhythmic
08-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Hit me up when either Kobe or Lebron at 37 will lead a team into NBA finals as the best player while outplaying the current best players in their positions

:oldlol: See what I mean?
Kobe has played just as much, if not more, then Duncan has.
He entered the league in 97' while Duncan entered in 99'.
Kobe for the last 4 years was still considered a superstar, Duncan (outside of last season, where he definitely resurrected a little) was no where near Kobe's level since about 08'. :lol

Also, :lol @ Duncan leading his team to the NBA finals. From what I recall, Leonard was SA's best player in the NBA finals and Tony Parker was clearly the most valuable player during the regular season. Sure, Duncan had a fantastic year and (to me) was right there with Marc Gasol for being the best big man last season. But the competition is terrifible at C/PF these days, so it doesn't really say much.

Again, you Duncan homers are too much.

Lakers2877
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM
No they don't silk

If a Kobe or Lebron led team was the #1 overall seed after. Finishing with the best record in the whole league and lost in the first rd to an 8 seed they would be CRUCIFIED

Only kobes and lebrons crappy games or series are ever brought up. With Duncan is all rainbows and fairytails when discussing his career/legacy

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM
So apparently we can just slide epic f.uck ups under the rug if you have a body of work like Duncan. Even if it was a GAME TYING, POINT BLANK LAYUP ATTEMPT OVER A 6'8 SMALL FORWARD IN GAME 7 OF THE NBA FINALS. A COLOSSAL CHOKE THAT LED TO THE HEAT SCORING THE NEXT POINTS AND EFFECTIVELY ENDING ANY CHANCE OF WINNING. But who gives a shit? This is Tim Duncan we are talking about. It's not a big deal if he misses a GAME TYING, POINT BLANK LAYUP ATTEMPT OVER A 6'8 SMALL FORWARD IN GAME 7 OF THE NBA FINALS.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 01:20 PM
No they don't silk

If a Kobe or Lebron led team was the #1 overall seed after. Finishing with the best record in the whole league and lost in the first rd to an 8 seed they would be CRUCIFIED

Only kobes and lebrons crappy games or series are ever brought up. With Duncan is all rainbows and fairytails when discussing his career/legacy

This. If Kobe is fair game to criticize, why isn't Duncan? Kobe's failures are always brought up. LeBron's failures are always brought up. But with Duncan we have to keep our mouths shut and talk about how underrated and classy the Spurs are. Even though the Spurs have been adding up some meltdowns over the last few years. Lose to the 8th in 2011, blow a 2-0 lead in the 2012 WCF, and arguably the biggest choke in Finals history with 2013. But lets just slide all the rug I guess :confusedshrug:

Kiddlovesnets
08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
They both deserve praises and blames when these are due. Parker sucked in 2013 NBA Finals after game 1, we all know that, its not a secret.

riseagainst
08-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Duncan gets overrated.

DaSeba5
08-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Duncan is fine with me, but I don't know why people give Parker a pass? The media doesn't talk about him because he plays in San Antonio, but on here people didn't really bash him like they would for other players in the Finals.

sportjames23
08-15-2013, 02:24 PM

Fvcked up that I gotta agree with Silkk on this. Those other players would have been lit up here if they were in Duncan's place.

zoom17
08-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Let me ask you this:

Spurs choked get over it

NumberSix
08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Fvcked up that I gotta agree with Silkk on this. Those other players would have been lit up here if they were in Duncan's place.
The difference is that Duncan is 37 and at the end of his career. I'm just impressed he played as well as he did.

Is He Ill
08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Duncan is 37, why is he even part of the conversation? :oldlol: He put up great numbers in the finals anyway. Same goes for when people talk about Kobe. These players are way past their primes, yet they continue to play at an elite level. Look at their entire body of work instead of strictly judging their careers based on what they did 3 months ago. On this website, if a player has one bad game they immediately plummet 5 spots on some imaginary top 20 players list. It's ridiculous.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Duncan is 37, why is he even part of the conversation? :oldlol: He put up great numbers in the finals anyway. Same goes for when people talk about Kobe. These players are way past their primes, yet they continue to play at an elite level. Look at their entire body of work instead of strictly judging their careers based on what they did 3 months ago. On this website, if a player has one bad game they immediately plummet 5 spots on some imaginary top 20 players list. It's ridiculous.

So? He dominated still in the Finals the last two games. The age excuse is only brought up when the missed layup over Battier comes up

TheMarkMadsen
08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Why the hell are people claiming Duncan led the spurs to the finals?

Tony Parker was the best player on the team this season, an MVP candidate at that.. TP has been the best player on his team for a few years now.

Tim Duncan has been more or less a role player the past several years and the Spurs have continued to win 50+ games and get the 1st seed.

If Kobe or Lebron were having the same amount of Impact as Duncan has the past few years and their teams were still winning 50 games and getting he 1st seed in the conference we'd here how they were "carried"

Duncan gets all the credit for wins, and 0 blame for losses

Is He Ill
08-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Why the hell are people claiming Duncan led the spurs to the finals?

Tony Parker was the best player on the team this season, an MVP candidate at that.. TP has been the best player on his team for a few years now.

Tim Duncan has been more or less a role player the past several years and the Spurs have continued to win 50+ games and get the 1st seed.

If Kobe or Lebron were having the same amount of Impact as Duncan has the past few years and their teams were still winning 50 games and getting he 1st seed in the conference we'd here how they were "carried"

Duncan gets all the credit for wins, and 0 blame for losses

That's because Lebron should be winning titles, he's in his prime. The only people that would hold it against a 37 year old Kobe would be Lebron stans, and the only people holding it against a 37 year old Lebron would be Kobe stans

zoom17
08-15-2013, 06:22 PM
That's because Lebron should be winning titles, he's in his prime. The only people that would hold it against a 37 year old Kobe would be Lebron stans, and the only people holding it against a 37 year old Lebron would be Kobe stans
SPURS Lost get over it

PickernRoller
08-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Spurs fans hearing it from Lebron stans. Not amused one bit.

ProfessorMurder
08-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Duncan played great, f*ck you if you think he didn't.

Parker underperformed.

Manu sucked dick.

/thread

TheReal Kendall
08-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Duncan played great, f*ck you if you think he didn't.

Parker underperformed.

Manu sucked dick.

/thread

Basically this.

If they got at least an average performance out of Manu, Silkk would be crying his eyes out right now.

It wasn't Duncan's fault. All of the blame should go to Manu and Pop(for continuing to play Manu)

DMAVS41
08-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Basically this.

If they got at least an average performance out of Manu, Silkk would be crying his eyes out right now.

It wasn't Duncan's fault. All of the blame should go to Manu and Pop(for continuing to play Manu)

And Parker. The supposed best player on the Spurs and a superstar...Jalen Rose had him as the third best player in the league.

He shot 9/35 in the two biggest games of the year.

bdreason
08-15-2013, 11:45 PM

18/10 on 50/82% + DPOY considerations is a roleplayer? :oldlol:

bdreason
08-15-2013, 11:48 PM

Nobody would care if 37 year old Kobe choked in the NBA Finals. Besides, prime Kobe already choked in the Finals, and his legacy is still fine.

LeBron won't even be in the NBA when he's 37.

Young X
08-15-2013, 11:52 PM
The answer is no.

I've literally never seen Duncan get criticized outside of the internet.

Tony Choker goes 9-35 in the two most important games of the season and his numbers drop in the playoffs EVERY YEAR - and no one says anything.

That's what happens when you're lucky enough to be drafted to a winning franchise especially a small market.

Spurs = chokers.

SpurrDurr
08-16-2013, 12:15 AM
The answer is no.

Tony Choker goes 9-35 in the two most important games of the season and his numbers drop in the playoffs EVERY YEAR - and no one says anything.

That's what happens when you're lucky enough to be drafted to a winning franchise especially a small market.

Spurs = chokers.

You always make threads about how Spurs lost the finals and try to blame it mostly on Tim.

Another insecure Kobe fan, nothing new.

Young X
08-16-2013, 12:21 AM
You always make threads about how Spurs lost the finals and try to blame it mostly on Tim.

Another insecure Kobe fan, nothing new.No I don't, most of my criticism is towards Parker for choking (like he always does). Duncan was always the best, most impactful player on the choke... I mean Spurs.

DirkNowitzki41
08-16-2013, 12:27 AM
It's a shame he gets away with everything. Biggest choke in sports. :lol :banana: :banana:

The-Legend-24
08-16-2013, 12:42 AM
:oldlol: @ the niggus using the age excuse for Duncan missing a point blank layup in crunch time of the finals. If Kobe or Lebron did that at age 40, they would still get shitted on.

Dude is so overrated. Nikka was a role player on his own team for years, and they still win 50+ games every season.

:roll:

The-Legend-24
08-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Nobody would care if 37 year old Kobe choked in the NBA Finals.
:oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
08-16-2013, 01:15 AM
I need to know what Duncan does that's overrated. I get Parker, but Duncan ? I'm all ears.

Legends66NBA7
08-16-2013, 01:30 AM

Casuals don't care for Duncan.

SamuraiSWISH
08-16-2013, 01:40 AM
No one critiques his ass on the internet either. Fans who want to sound hardcore would never dare talk bad about a guy who is "slept on" by the national media, because his game is boring as paint drying. By not critiquing him and praising him, they want to make themselves sound more knowledgeable.

I'm the only one I've ever seen hold his feet to the fire. Never even brought his team to back to back Finals appearances, let alone defend the throne winning back to backs. Had quite a bit of talented supporting casts that get overlooked, and always had stellar coaching that other superstars seemingly get penalized for having.

And I personally will NEVER forget his absolute HORRENDOUS 2004 Olympic showing for Team USA. The guy who is the big fundamental, in a more "fundamental" form of basketball played like absolute ass. Resident bad boy who wasn't even supposed to be on the team, Allen Iverson (and even Marbury) were clearly the team's best and more consistent players.

Not to mention calling him the "greatest PF of all-time" an excuse to market the current league, and him. When in actuality he's always been a center, and at no point did I ever feel he was better than these guys of just the previous era: Shaq, Hakeem, D-Rob, and Ewing.

Hell, I feel if Garnett had the same circumstances as Duncan had on the Spurs, he'd have been more successful.

Young X
08-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Hell, I feel if Garnett had the same circumstances as Duncan had on the Spurs, he'd have been more successful.I feel the same way. People act like Duncan was KAJ or something. KG, Kobe, Barkley are all comparable to him.

Legends66NBA7
08-16-2013, 02:04 AM
People act like Duncan was KAJ or something.

What do you mean by this statement ? Like, individual accolades that Kareem gathered in the 70's ? The high scoring, all-around play, but teams falling short in the playoffs ? I give you that, Duncan's not on that level of individual dominance.

I really don't see how their careers overall panned out the same way, Duncan never had a Magic Johnson from his 30's to the end of his career.

Their longevity is comparable and if the Spurs win this year Duncan might win Finals MVP and would be second oldest to win the award... only to Kareem winning it at age 38 back in 185.

Young X
08-16-2013, 02:08 AM
What do you mean by this statement ? Like, individual accolades that Kareem gathered in the 70's ? The high scoring, all-around play, but teams falling short in the playoffs ? I give you that, Duncan's not on that level of individual dominance.

I really don't see how their careers overall panned out the same way, Duncan never had a Magic Johnson from his 30's to the end of his career.

Their longevity is comparable and if the Spurs win this year Duncan might win Finals MVP and would be second oldest to win the award... only to Kareem winning it at age 38 back in 185.I'm talking about individual dominance, people act like Duncan was Shaq/MJ/KAJ level when he hasn't even separated himself from players like Kobe, KG, Barkley, etc from an INDIVIDUAL standpoint. He was never the clear cut best player in the league in terms of dominance.

Legends66NBA7
08-16-2013, 02:10 AM
He was never the clear cut best player in the league in terms of dominance.

02-03 season ?

Young X
08-16-2013, 02:23 AM
^ Maybe perception wise, but how did he separate himself from KG or Shaq in terms of all around dominance? KG was posting the same production as Duncan and damn near won MVP over him and Shaq was putting up BETTER production in the regular season and the playoffs.

Then the next season when KG and Duncan have similar supporting casts, KG unanimously wins MVP over him and takes his team farther in the playoffs while putting up better production. Now years later people act like they're not comparable - That's what I'm talking about.

Legends66NBA7
08-16-2013, 02:31 AM
I really don't know how a player MVP sweeps and it's perception based. Duncan really carried a weak cast to a title that year. His 03-04 squad was better than that title team (same with his 05-06 squad), but Duncan was injured that season, as it effected his free throw shooting significantly that year.

In 03, Duncan outplayed Shaq in the playoffs and had a better playoff run overall. Shaq also missed too much time and Kobe was really taking a heavy a scoring burden for the first time in his career.

But as I've agreed with you in the past, people saying that Garnett vs Duncan isn't comparable are clueless, although the gap for me is obvious since Duncan was more consistent overall.

inclinerator
08-16-2013, 05:40 AM
cuz nobody cares about them, hardly any thread gets made about anyone thats not marketable

madmax
08-16-2013, 05:59 AM
because all this board cares about is either flashy or controversial players:confusedshrug: Nobody gives a crap about fundamentally sound professionals like TD or Parker anymore...it's all about jumping higher, running faster, raping hotel maids and being on ESPN 24/7 sadly

To4
08-16-2013, 06:07 AM
i blame Ginobili..

TimmyDuncan
08-17-2013, 07:47 AM
They get 10% of the love of a lebron or kobe get when they win

Seems fair to me that they would get 10% of the blame that a lebron or kobe would get when they lose