PDA

View Full Version : Big O.."Oh Ill beat Kobe" why? "I know basketball"

Dwade305
08-19-2013, 02:53 AM
They asked him about Bron too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGFBUPs_4w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lol at that dickriding reporter at the end tho...sounds like something straight out of Ish

andgar923
08-19-2013, 02:57 AM
They asked him about Bron too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGFBUPs_4w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lol at that dickriding reporter at the end tho...sounds like something straight out of Ish

ROFL Elie one of the biggest Kobe idiots ever.

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2013, 02:58 AM
That confidence says it all, he feels he'd destroy Kobe 1 on 1 he seems almost insulted by the question :bowdown:

fpliii
08-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Did he call him Oscar Robinson at 0:44? :facepalm

EDIT: Again at 0:56.

9erempiree
08-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Did he call him Oscar Robinson at 0:44? :facepalm

EDIT: Again at 0:56.

He sure did.:facepalm

TonyMontana
08-19-2013, 03:02 AM
I bet the reporter is an ISH poster. Looks like one of these little wiesels thats never played the game and would be arguing for Kobe. The question is which one....Magic 32? Deuce Bigalow? Could be both and they're the same person. :roll:

For the people too lazy to watch the video.

-Oscar says him vs LeBron would be a "colossal battle"(of 1 on 1).

-When asked about Kobe Oscar says he'd win because "he actually knows how to play basktetball". :roll: Damn Big O telling it like it is. This guys got a reputation for being honest, even if its brutal. Respect. :applause:

kennethgriffin
08-19-2013, 03:02 AM
bill russell and wilt chamberlain both used to brag all the time that theyed beat the crap out of any modern day team/player

walt frazier was quoted saying nobody today can touch the 5 best players from his day

bird and magic were quoted saying theyed beat the crap out of the bulls if their teams faced jordan

wilt always dogged on jordan saying hes the real goat

oscar is just as stubborn and stuck in his ways as every other geezer

fact is.... theyre all idiots. modern day basketball goes above and beyond. the stratigies and systems in place. advanced coaching and analysis of statistics has brought the game to new levels... modern day technology/science/diets all help

video room. all the footage to watch/study of opponents. international influince. no racial barriers

guys taking and advancing their games based on previous generations

the fact is... players from the 50's 60's 70's are all delusional morons.

kobe in the 1950's would probably average 60ppg/20rpg on 70% shooting

kobe in the 1960's would average 50ppg/15rpg on 60% shooting

kobe in the 1970's would average 40ppg/10rpg on 50% shooting

jcsrplumply
08-19-2013, 03:03 AM
He's so cocky, well like most nba players.
And this reporter doesn't even know Oscar's surname :roll: .

andgar923
08-19-2013, 03:04 AM
What's sad is, He's ALWAYS asking people about Kobe and if they think he's the GOAT or better than MJ, and it's pitiful and sad. Specially when they don't give him the answer he wants to hear (99% of the time), he keeps insisting to try and force his agenda on them.

How this clown even gets press passes is beyond me.

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2013, 03:06 AM
bill russell and wilt chamberlain both used to brag all the time that theyed beat the crap out of any modern day team/player

walt frazier was quoted saying nobody today can touch the 5 best players from his day

bird and magic were quoted saying theyed beat the crap out of the bulls if their teams faced jordan

fact is.... theyre all idiots. modern day basketball goes above and beyond. the stratigies and systems in place. advanced coaching and analysis of statistics has brought the game to new levels... modern day technology/science/diets all help

video room. all the footage to watch/study of opponents. international influince. no racial barriers

Oscar still managed to shoot a higher fg% than Kobe in a fast-break era where calls favored defensive basket protectors rather than the offense of slashing of guards or forwards...

Shotjackbe loses again:violin:

LAZERUSS
08-19-2013, 03:07 AM

Just for the sake of arguing...

The NBA shot .756 from the FT line in the '58-59 season. In the 73-74 season, the NBA shot .771 from the line. In the 84-85 season, the NBA shot .764 from the FT stripe.

In this past 2012-2013 season, the NBA shot .753 from the line...

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2013, 03:08 AM

The NBA shot .756 from the FT line in the '58-59 season. In the 73-74 season, the NBA shot .771 from the line. In the 84-85 season, the NBA shot .764 from the FT stripe.

b-b-b-but modern nutrition and training! :cry:

chazzy
08-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Oscar still managed to shoot a higher fg% than Kobe in a fast-break era
He sure did

9erempiree
08-19-2013, 03:13 AM

Free throw shooting?

Last time I check anyone can shoot a free throw, you don't have to be an athlete to. The line was still the same distance. Were they shooting blindfolded back then?

lol @ comparing free throws.

LAZERUSS
08-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Free throw shooting?

Last time I check anyone can shoot a free throw, you don't have to be an athlete to. The line was still the same distance. Were they shooting blindfolded back then?

lol @ comparing free throws.

But of all of the factors that go into an NBA game, FT shooting has essentially been the same since the game's inception (over 100 years ago BTW.)

And yet, with all of these technogical advancements, the players of today are unable to shoot them as well as the players of over 50 years ago. Why?

9erempiree
08-19-2013, 03:16 AM
Oscar still managed to shoot a higher fg% than Kobe in a fast-break era where calls favored defensive basket protectors rather than the offense of slashing of guards or forwards...

Shotjackbe loses again:violin:

:facepalm

Fast break era? Ok, you do know it's easier to score in transition right. If you do get fouled on a shot attempt, it's not counted on your stat sheet.

9erempiree
08-19-2013, 03:20 AM
But of all of the factors that go into an NBA game, FT shooting has essentially been the same since the game's inception (over 100 years ago BTW.)

And yet, with all of these technogical advancements, the players of today are unable to shoot them as well as the players of over 50 years ago. Why?

Technological advancements with helping the body like footwork, quickness, reflex, speed and strength.

There is only so much you can teach in a free throw. Bend the knees, elbows up and flick of the wrist. That's it.

PHILA
08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
"I know how to play basketball." :pimp:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230530&page=5

jongib369
08-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Man has some ****ing balls to just say that about a current star whos knob is slobbed all over by the media. Many other players would of respectfully dogged that.

PickernRoller
08-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Man has some ****ing balls to just say that about a current star whos knob is slobbed all over by the media. Many other players would of respectfully dogged that.

Free country - well kinda.

Sakkreth
08-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Lol that Kobe stan got ethered by Big O

DCL
08-19-2013, 06:10 AM
he had to think about it and give a diplomatic answer for lebron.

but he didn't hesitant for one split second to spit out he'd beat kobe. and he said it with such authoritative tone like ,"ni$$a, you serious??? you for real, son??"

SwayDizzle
08-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Elie Seckbach reportinnnnnnnn

Deuce Bigalow
08-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Kobe would destroy Oscar

What is "I know basketball" supposed to mean though?

Owl
08-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Kobe would destroy Oscar

What is "I know basketball" supposed to mean though?
I suspect:

-Better passing
-Better rebounding
-Better percentage shooting (even a better ts% despite no three point line and playing in a lower ts% era)
-Better decision making (hence all those assists, his remarkable percentages, versus Kobe's good not great %, insistance on taking difficult shots -which don't get me wrong he's very skilled at, but its still a low % shot and means teammates aren't effective decoys)
-Made teammates better: Contrary to Bill Simmons' assertations, Oscar is frequently acknowledged as someone who made teammates better. To my knowledge, this hasn't been said of Kobe.

b1imtf
08-19-2013, 06:55 AM
I suspect:

-Better passing
-Better rebounding
-Better percentage shooting (even a better ts% despite no three point line and playing in a lower ts% era)
-Better decision making (hence all those assists, his remarkable percentages, versus Kobe's good not great %, insistance on taking difficult shots -which don't get me wrong he's very skilled at, but its still a low % shot and means teammates aren't effective decoys)
-Made teammates better: Contrary to Bill Simmons' assertations, Oscar is frequently acknowledged as someone who made teammates better. To my knowledge, this hasn't been said of Kobe.
Most of those wouldn't matter in a 1v1

jstern
08-19-2013, 07:27 AM
How does a Kobe stan in the level of the Alphawolf, 9erempiree, and Kengriffin get a press pass?

sportjames23
08-19-2013, 07:29 AM
How does a Kobe stan in the level of the Alphawolf, 9erempiree, and Kengriffin get a press pass?

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Hoopz2332
08-19-2013, 07:39 AM
he had to think about it and give a diplomatic answer for lebron.

but he didn't hesitant for one split second to spit out he'd beat kobe. and he said it with such authoritative tone like ,"ni$$a, you serious??? you for real, son??"

:oldlol:

HoopsFanNumero1
08-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Oscar telling it like it is

:applause:

9erempiree
08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Kobe will kill him one on one.

Anyways, it's another old timers way to stay relevant. If he said he can beat Lebron there would be no controversy because it's would be true and nobody cares about Lebron.

If he said he can beat Kobe, it keeps him relevant.

I<3NBA
08-19-2013, 08:23 AM

what you're saying is modern players will always be better than older ones? older players will always be inferior?

Kobe is older than Lebron

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
lol @ some of these clowns celebrating like they actually just beat kobe 1v1. Michael Jordan, "5 is better than 1."

SilkkTheShocker
08-19-2013, 08:47 AM
LOL LeBron would hand Oscar his ass on a platter if they played one on one.

pudman13
08-19-2013, 09:08 AM
modern day basketball goes above and beyond. the stratigies and systems in place. advanced coaching and analysis of statistics has brought the game to new levels... modern day technology/science/diets all help

And you don't think that the great older players wouldn't thrive with the advances in the game?

OhNoTimNoSho
08-19-2013, 09:17 AM
This just in: Grumpy old man says things were better back in his day.

More at 11.

TheReal Kendall
08-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Anything can happen in 1v1.

The era they played in really doesn't matter in 1v1

Doranku
08-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Too bad he never figured out how to win. :roll:

rhythmic
08-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Someone sounds insecure.

Trollsmasher
08-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Damn, Oscar convinced me to change my rankings

9. LeBron
10. Hakeem
11. Oscar
12. Kobe

rule1223
08-19-2013, 10:09 AM
who cares what scrubs think, i bet sefalosha thinks he can beat kobe too, doesnt mean a thing

DCL
08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
never seen the Big O so insulted when he was asked if he could beat kobe.

it was like mj replying to jay leno when asked if he could still dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENvfBSVYpw

HoopsFanNumero1
08-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Oscar sounded kind of insulted. Like, how dare this geek compare Kobe with me.

FiveRings
08-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Haha everyone in here talking about how Kobe got owned yet 99 percent of you have him listed way ahead of Oscar and in the top ten.

I've never seen Oscar play, but he doesn't seem to be very bright. He's quite delusional. How amazing is it that Bryant has managed to accomplish more than any of his peers (championships are the ultimate goal of the sport) yet not know how to play basketball? Duncan and Shaq have less championships than him so they must just be subpar guys with little skill who got lucky for being tall.

pauk
08-19-2013, 10:24 AM
If Oscar was as good as his stats would imply especially in the more modern era then he may actually beat anything on this earth :P

TheMilkyBarKid
08-19-2013, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

scandisk_
08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Too bad he never figured out how to win. :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jstern
08-19-2013, 10:47 AM
This just in: Grumpy old man says things were better back in his day.

More at 11.

Normally that could be the case, but he complimented Lebron.

Through my observation of top level professional athletes the one thing I've noticed is that they are obsessively competitive, in a not normal way, so you can expect them to be confident. Some how people here want a player that was considered the GOAT at one time to be submissive to Kobe.

rhythmic
08-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Normally that could be the case, but he complimented Lebron.

Through my observation of top level professional athletes the one thing I've noticed is that they are obsessively competitive, in a not normal way, so you can expect them to be confident. Some how people here want a player that was considered the GOAT at one time to be submissive to Kobe.

Around the same time George Mikan was considered the GOAT, so pretty irrelevant. :oldlol:

PHILA
08-19-2013, 10:57 AM
who cares what scrubs think
:no:

Big O is like Chris Paul with Penny Hardaway's post up game and Jordan's strength (though not as explosive). Also Big O is a lot smoother than CP without all the herky jerky deceptive moves and he didn't flop around. He is the pick & roll master in a league today that heavily favors P&R PG play and with all the spot up 3 point shooters to spread the floor out. Never mind that he is 6'6, 220 lbs and you can't touch him on the outside without a foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Gbb9_XAtU&t=16m52s

In the video example below, look how he bumps off powerful forward Chet Walker with great ease and grace. In the following play, Wali Jones (the top defensive guard in the NBA) is completely helpless on the baseline against Oscar, who makes him look almost like a high school kid. Seeing as Wilt had to watch Dierking (who could shoot from the outside), once Oscar had him all by himself, it was over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aECiYcdvIE&t=3m16s

In keeping track of Bill Russell and Boston's defense (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302158) in the available game footage, the Royals with Oscar shot 7/8 (87.5%) in pick & roll plays where Russell was involved in the play. The other opponents shot 2/11 (18%) in the same situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6kIu34Qsc&t=22m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6kIu34Qsc&t=12m55s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6kIu34Qsc&t=11m10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6kIu34Qsc&t=14m07s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6kIu34Qsc&t=24m47s *How many players today can make this shot from this close a distance and angle?

He had a very quick release on his shot as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTs918TZ-qo&t=9m58s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIzpvJDMis&t=18m15s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6kIu34Qsc&t=12m55s

Sports Illustrated - October 24, 1966

CINCINNATI

The pick-and-roll is a simple play, even used by the kids at the YMCA in half-court games. With somewhat better personnel, the Royals dare you to stop it. Oscar Robertson gets the pick, and Jerry Lucas takes the roll (right). Lucas, guarded by a big forward, picks Oscar's man, or slows him down, to make the forward commit himself. If the big man switches to Robertson, Lucas has a smaller defender and rolls for the basket and a pass from Oscar. If there is no switch. Robertson zips past with at least a half-step advantage and a one-on-one situation with a guard down near the baseline. "If I can get him to that spot," says Coach Jack McMahon, "he's unstoppable."

The Big O: My Life, My Times, My Game - Oscar Robertson

http://i.imgur.com/HTDvDgD.png

Legends66NBA7
08-19-2013, 11:14 AM
I remember Elie being an idiot, but he still carries on this way ? Give it up, man.

Too bad he never figured out how to win.

And what the hell does this mean ?

Along with "I know basketball", bunch clueless shit being said.

Around the same time George Mikan was considered the GOAT

Bill Russell was the GOAT by the time Oscar retired. He was considered the most dominant guard, even GOAT by a few of his peers.

funnystuff
08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
They are all the same person. They all claim that Kobe is #2 all time. Its actually quite sad that they believe that. Blinded by Lebrons success.:bowdown:

longtime lurker
08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Both Lebron and Kobe would crush Oscar one on one.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Remember when the 'Big O' claimed that LeBron is a MUCH better player than Jordan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I52nezhkyA)?

With all due respect, I would take his opinion w/ a grain of salt.

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Remember when the 'Big O' claimed that LeBron is a MUCH better player than Jordan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I52nezhkyA)?

With all due respect, I would take his opinion w/ a grain of salt.
Where exactly does Oscar say "Lebron is a MUCH better player than Jordan"?

All I heard was "Lebron is in a class by himself" which can be taken a lot of different ways, Oscar could just be saying Lebron is cut from a totally different cloth. Which is true... Because Lebron and Jordan don't play a similar game.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Where exactly does Oscar say "Lebron is a MUCH better player than Jordan"?

All I heard was "Lebron is in a class by himself" which can be taken a lot of different ways, Oscar could just be saying Lebron is cut from a totally different cloth. Which is true... Because Lebron and Jordan don't play a similar game.

Semantics. A class by himself is what it is.

SamuraiSWISH
08-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Are we going to even act like players don't side with who they see THEMSELVES in the most?

Take this with a grain of salt.

MJ reps Kobe
Bird reps Kobe
Oscar reps LeBron
Pippen reps LeBron

CAstill
08-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Are we going to even act like players don't side with who they see THEMSELVES in the most?

MJ reps Kobe
Bird reps Kobe
Oscar reps LeBron
Pippen reps LeBron

This right here but they all stay politically correct so that's why you see them give every player praise.

Marchesk
08-19-2013, 02:23 PM

MJ reps Kobe
Bird reps Kobe
Oscar reps LeBron
Pippen reps LeBron

And the deciding vote goes to Magic ...

SamuraiSWISH
08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
And the deciding vote goes to Magic ...
One second he'll say Kobe, then flop to LeBron. He's got the Laker allegiance to Kobe, and he sees a lot of his personality and team first nature in LeBron. He's a flopper on the subject.

Noob Saibot
08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Dayum Mr. Robertson gave Elie the business. :pimp: .

Scholar
08-19-2013, 03:55 PM
He really said, "Oscar Robinson." :facepalm

Doranku
08-19-2013, 03:57 PM
And what the hell does this mean ?

Along with "I know basketball", bunch clueless shit being said.

It means that he was statpadding career loser who never came close to winning anything until he had the fortune of playing alongside prime Kareem during the weakest era in NBA history.

BallsOut
08-19-2013, 04:31 PM
"I know how to play basketball." :pimp:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230530&page=5

I wonder if he's referring to 1-on-1 ball or team basketball?

1-on-1? Kobe would destroy him. Just like Kobe's destroyed Bruce Bowen, Josh Howard, Shane Battier, Doug Christie and countless other better defenders than him.

Team basketball? How many rings does he have again?

NumberSix
08-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Damn, Oscar convinced me to change my rankings

9. LeBron
10. Hakeem
11. Oscar
12. Kobe

:applause::applause:

I don't get how there's anyone in the world still holding on to the idea that Hakeem should be ranked above LeBron. What possible justification is there?

Legends66NBA7
08-19-2013, 04:45 PM
It means that he was statpadding career loser who never came close to winning anything until he had the fortune of playing alongside prime Kareem during the weakest era in NBA history.

But he did win... guys like Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, etc... were losers would be right because they didn't win a ring(s).

And if he had Bill Russell along side like Bob Cousy did he would have had a lot of rings on his hands. How many guard haven't won with a good/great big man ?

This is also all off topic, since it's supposed be about basketball skills, not a resume.

SyRyanYang
08-19-2013, 04:47 PM
If any of you guys actually play basketball, you'd know size really matters (that's not what she said!) in 1 on 1. So no doubt he'd destroy Kobe.

BallsOut
08-19-2013, 04:49 PM
If any of you guys actually play basketball, you'd know size really matters (that's not what she said!) in 1 on 1. So no doubt he'd destroy Kobe.

Right..except they're both about the same size. Kobe is easily a superior 1 on 1 player.

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't like you. But your right in this particular instance. Oscar would back Kobe up to his favorite spots the entire time - it wouldn't be fancy but it would be effective. Oscar was the Charles Barkley of point guards. Big ass, low center of gravity, beats you with positioning.

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Right..except they're both about the same size. Kobe is easily a superior 1 on 1 player.
Kobe is 205lbs, after weights. Oscar was 220, all natural. Weight was in his legs and core too. They're the exact same height (6-4 and 3/4 w/o shoes) but Oscar has a naturally bigger/stronger frame.

http://serve.cdncast.com/SportsBlogcom/filewarehouse/48301/1ce8accc9830990b9ebedf1733211791.jpg

BallsOut
08-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Kobe is 205lbs, after weights. Oscar was 220, all natural. Weight was in his legs and core too. They're the exact same height (6-4 and 3/4 w/o shoes) but Oscar has a naturally bigger/stronger frame.

205? We're not talking right now. Kobe was 220 in his prime. You're not posting up Kobe in a 1 on 1 game. Look at what he did when Lebron tried to post him in the ASG last year. Look at what he did to Kyrie when they went head to head in that regular season game. It doesn't matter if you're a guard or small forward, Kobe's not giving you anything down there even at this age and 205 lbs.

There's no way Oscar can stop a prime Kobe from scoring.

SyRyanYang
08-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't like you. But your right in this particular instance.

lol I'm right in most instances, you don't like me because I'm against your trolling.

SyRyanYang
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
205? We're not talking right now. Kobe was 220 in his prime. You're not posting up Kobe in a 1 on 1 game. Look at what he did when Lebron tried to post him in the ASG last year. Look at what he did to Kyrie when they went head to head in that regular season game. It doesn't matter if you're a guard or small forward, Kobe's not giving you anything down there even at this age and 205 lbs.

There's no way Oscar can stop a prime Kobe from scoring.

Lebron is a ***** who doesn't know how to utilize his body, Kyrie is a small PG, what terrible examples.

riseagainst
08-19-2013, 05:48 PM
LOL as big of a legend as Big O is, Kobe's destroy him in a game of 1v1 prime vs prime. If Kobe gets ball first: 21-0, if Oscar gets ball first: 21-1. Not really close.

zoom17
08-19-2013, 07:10 PM
That confidence says it all, he feels he'd destroy Kobe 1 on 1 he seems almost insulted by the question :bowdown:

zoom17
08-19-2013, 07:13 PM
lol the difference in his attitude about kobe and Lebron with Lebron he had to think about it with kobe not even a question:oldlol:

Riverdale
08-19-2013, 09:38 PM
What's sad is, He's ALWAYS asking people about Kobe and if they think he's the GOAT or better than MJ, and it's pitiful and sad. Specially when they don't give him the answer he wants to hear (99% of the time), he keeps insisting to try and force his agenda on them.

How this clown even gets press passes is beyond me.

I rarely ever post here and normally would never do so calling a poster out, but sorry what's more pitiful and sad is some loser on a message board getting all defensive that someone put Kobe over MJ on his own personal all-time list.

It seems all your posts are complaining and getting upset if anyone criticises MJ. You seem to care more about the man's legacy than he does himself, and it's a shame because he doesn't need anyone, especially some arm chair warrior trying to put other players down to prop his up - his legacy speaks for itself. Just enjoy the game. Who the hell are you to MJ anyways.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but get a f*cking life.