PDA

View Full Version : Going forward: Stephen Curry or James Harden?

Inferno
08-20-2013, 01:19 AM
EDIT 6/4/2014 for 2014 stats :applause:

Regular Season

Harden: 25.4 pts /4.7 rebounds / 6.1 assists / 1.6 steals / 3.6 turnovers, 46/37/87 shooting, 61.8% TS

Curry: 24.0 pts / 4.3 rebounds / 8.5 assists / 1.6 steals / 3.8 turnovers, 47/42/89 shooting, 61.0% TS

Playoffs

Harden: 26.8 pts / 4.7 rebounds / 5.8 assists / 2.0 steals / 3.5 turnovers, 38/30/90 shooting, 51.9% TS

Curry: 23.0 pts / 3.6 rebounds / 8.4 assists / 1.7 steals / 3.7 turnovers, 44/39/88 shooting, 59.9% TS

Curry's a year older. Who you got?

IGOTGAME
08-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Harden and it's not close in my book.

thabisyo
08-20-2013, 01:28 AM
For a franchise, Harden all day. He doesn't break down and that is very important. Numbers wise, it close but ill take harden

For one game, ill have to take steph curry. The boy is money from downtown and can destroy you in a quarter :bowdown:

alexd
08-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Harden and it's not close in my book.

/thread

KG215
08-20-2013, 01:41 AM
For a franchise, Harden all day. He doesn't break down and that is very important. Numbers wise, it close but ill take harden

For one game, ill have to take steph curry. The boy is money from downtown and can destroy you in a quarter :bowdown:
To be fair to Curry, he's only had one one season (so far) where he's missed a lot of games.

2010: 80 games
2011: 74 games
2012: 26 games (out of 66)
2013: 78 games

So, in 3 out of 4 seasons he's played in at least 90% of his team's games.

thabisyo
08-20-2013, 01:45 AM
To be fair to Curry, he's only had one one season (so far) where he's missed a lot of games.

But once it happens it likely to again until you show you wont break down again like Jordan. either way, i would still take harden but i like curry more

mugiwara
08-20-2013, 01:47 AM

Its because we have seen him roll his ankles so many times, he usually came back the next game. Like a true Warrior.

Edit- also Curry, harden takes bad shots and is a not the shooter steph is.

IGOTGAME
08-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Its because we have seen him roll his ankles so many times, he usually came back the next game. Like a true Warrior.

Edit- also Curry, harden takes bad shots and is a not the shooter steph is.
Curry takes horrible shoots too. Also, harden has been one of the most efficient players in the league for a while now.

JBrizzy
08-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Why not have both?

:cheers:

Segatti
08-20-2013, 01:58 AM
Right now Harden, but Curry has a lot of potential too.

FireDavidKahn
08-20-2013, 02:25 AM
Harden.

bdreason
08-20-2013, 02:41 AM
Harden is a great offensive player, but honestly I can't stand his flopping on drives. Seems like his reputation preceded him by the end of the season as well, because refs weren't giving him those flops in the playoffs.

OldSkoolball#52
08-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Wow, didnt expect to be in such a minority when I say its Curry no question.

Better shooter, better playmaker.

Hardens numbers are prob inflated IMO bc he had the "sixth man greenlight" in OKC and then was "the man" for a whatever team with few other options.

I actually dont even know how the two compare statistically. Just going by eye test. I dont get bogged down obsessing over "franchise player" designations. Harden will never win a title as his teams best player. I doubt Curry will either, but I think he makes a better second best guy, or even role player for a title team. Hes more dangerous when hes on and has a sneaky high playmaking IQ.

therammingman
08-20-2013, 03:00 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/toss-houston-rockets-shooting-guard-james-harden-golden-221200131.html;_ylt=AnO3F8NHhPkMAqJjvcMPXFUmYsp_;_ ylu=X3oDMTRxM2Y0b2htBGNjb2RlA3ZzaGFyZWFnMnVwcmVzdA RtaXQDTWl4ZWQgTGlzdCBOZXdzIEZvciBZb3UEcGtnA2UxMmEy YjgxLTBkZmQtMzM2My1iODkwLTg4ZjQ4NWEyZmE0YQRwb3MDMQ RzZWMDbmV3c19mb3JfeW91BHZlcgNiOTljYTgwMS0wOTFkLTEx ZTMtOWVmZi05NWIxOWIxNTg4MDI-;_ylg=X3oDMTBhYWM1a2sxBGxhbmcDZW4tVVM-;_ylv=3

Graviton
08-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Are you guys on crack? Did no one watch the last playoffs? Against a focused defense and tougher physical play Harden is useless, has no mid range game and without flopping whistles can't break down the defense either. You saw his miserable performance in the playoffs while Curry was dropping 40+ on the Spurs and destroying teams with shooting, he had Kawhi/Iggy on him and he still did great. On the other hand Harden got absolutely shut down by Thabo in 2013 and Heat in 2012. His whole game is jack up 3s or flop, on the other hand Curry's game is jack up 3s AND mid range shots while still maintaining good efficiency.

Can't believe people already forgot Harden's shortcomings and somehow ignore Curry's breakout year.

Cali Syndicate
08-20-2013, 03:23 AM

In 2011, Curry sprained his ankle 7 times.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/1/6/2686518/video-footage-of-stephen-currys-7-ankle-sprains-what-do-you-think#storyjump

IMO, the reason he kept re-injuring it was cause he never really allowed it to properly heal and the way he kept re-aggravating it was what caused the ligament damage requiring the surgery he underwent.

2012 also had a few rolled ankles but they were no different than the few he saw in 2013. Except in 2012, they were more cautious with Curry because he was coming off surgery and they seemed determined to tank anyways, so why not sit him on extended lengths. 2013, the worst turn he had was during the Spurs series. The fact that it came on such an important time of the season really makes it hard to trust those ankles.....and the worst part being it was THE OTHER ANKLE.:facepalm I'm inclined to believe it was just a fluke injury though.

I'm hoping 2011 is behind him and no longer a hamper to his future.

Moving forward, I'd go with Curry because I believe surgery has strengthened that ankle and a healthy Curry > healthy Harden. Only area harden really has Curry beat is being able to take contact and get to the line, even though Curry is pretty crafty in the paint. He's developing a floater and if it becomes at all consistent to a Tony Parker floater or Nash leaner, whatever inside edge Harden had would be a wash..... and also perhaps a slight edge on defense. Curry isn't as bad a defender as everyone seems to think he is.

SacJB Shady
08-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Curry is the better player. Harden is good, but his scoring hardly transitions into any wins, especially not in the playoffs, while Curry did good in the playoffs. His team was better when he was the 3rd option. He's not a good first option. The only reason he's scoring 25 is because he takes all the shots, like a Monta Ellis. Even with howard joining him, the Warriors are better. There are players like Harden, but nobody shoots like Steph. Steph is a phenom.

mugiwara
08-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Curry takes horrible shoots too. Also, harden has been one of the most efficient players in the league for a while now.

im glad you see taht Harden takes horrible shots, Curry does not.

Curry always looks to put the ball inside if he draws out the big for the midrange, even when he is hot. He actually runs an offense.

Harden has only ever looked like a team player when Collison set those great screens for him.

BoutPractice
08-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Curry might trip over himself and hurt his ankles in the process of going forward. Harden is a safer bet to get to the destination.

SacJB Shady
08-20-2013, 03:53 AM
Curry might trip over himself and hurt his ankles in the process of going forward. Harden is a safer bet to get to the destination.

Harden hurt himself too last year. He missed as many games as Steph. Plus Harden has a few extra pounds like B diddy, that can hamper his progress and health later on

LT Ice Cream
08-20-2013, 03:55 AM
I'll take the one who actually comes out to play in the playoffs. /thread

SacJB Shady
08-20-2013, 03:56 AM

certainly. plus steph has a better sense of music

qrich
08-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Marcus LoVett Junior.

LA Lakers
08-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Harden. Curry obviously better shooter. Lights out shooter but nagging health concerns and Harden just has a more dynamic game. Bigger, great footwork. Id take Harden only because of Currys ankles being glass. But if Curry stays healthy then he may go down as one of the greatest shooters the game has ever seen.

sundizz
08-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Are you guys on crack? Did no one watch the last playoffs? Against a focused defense and tougher physical play Harden is useless, has no mid range game and without flopping whistles can't break down the defense either. You saw his miserable performance in the playoffs while Curry was dropping 40+ on the Spurs and destroying teams with shooting, he had Kawhi/Iggy on him and he still did great. On the other hand Harden got absolutely shut down by Thabo in 2013 and Heat in 2012. His whole game is jack up 3s or flop, on the other hand Curry's game is jack up 3s AND mid range shots while still maintaining good efficiency.

Can't believe people already forgot Harden's shortcomings and somehow ignore Curry's breakout year.

This. Curry is the better player. Period. However, his ankle injury is the only thing that should make anyone lead toward Harden. Curry has shown in the playoffs what a boss he is. He absolutely dominated in the playoffs against higher seeded teams. Again, his ankles tho. If he hadn't been hurt for the Spurs series they def had the Spurs series too. Considering he did all this without having David Lee out there is unbelievable. If Kobe had done all that without Lamar or without Pau (during title run years) people would be proclaiming Gawdbe stories all summer.

ABfor3
08-20-2013, 05:46 AM
I've noticed there is a bunch of Warriors fans in this thread and I could see why most votes are going towards Curry.. Saying Curry is better is absolutely outrageous because Curry had a better team with him. Bogut/Jack/Thompson/Barnes/Landry/Lee all quality players compared to Parsons/Asik/and scrubs like Lin, or Montijunas. Harden is better at controlling an offense, he can play half court or even up tempo. Great playmaker ,has a shot and can finish with the best of them going to the rim. Curry is a better shooter but that's all he's better at doing compared to Harden and maybe a slight better passer. It's easier to pass the ball though when you actually have guys who can make their shots.

roffie
08-20-2013, 06:31 AM
i prefer curry tbh, i think his game has the higher potential and better fundamentals

Fallen Angel
08-20-2013, 06:31 AM

I agree. I'll take the guy who has gone further in the playoffs.

Bigsmoke
08-20-2013, 06:34 AM
Curry.

SacJB Shady
08-20-2013, 06:41 AM
I've noticed there is a bunch of Warriors fans in this thread and I could see why most votes are going towards Curry.. Saying Curry is better is absolutely outrageous because Curry had a better team with him. Bogut/Jack/Thompson/Barnes/Landry/Lee all quality players compared to Parsons/Asik/and scrubs like Lin, or Montijunas. Harden is better at controlling an offense, he can play half court or even up tempo. Great playmaker ,has a shot and can finish with the best of them going to the rim. Curry is a better shooter but that's all he's better at doing compared to Harden and maybe a slight better passer. It's easier to pass the ball though when you actually have guys who can make their shots.

The 2 most important qualities...

sundizz
08-20-2013, 08:01 AM
The 2 most important qualities...

When you get ethered by SacJBShady you know you're in for a shitty week lol. It's honestly pretty close. Harden is the more valuable player, but I think Curry plays a style that is more suited for winning. He really gets others involved, while being unbelievably efficient. Also the way he shoots threes...the court becomes so wide open for his team because of how deep teams need to cover him. Watch his 3rd quarters. Other teams have a bit of tired legs and that extra 2 inches he gets is deadly. He becomes a flame thrower.

branslowski
08-20-2013, 08:14 AM
N!gga you watched the commercial and made this thread.:oldlol:

Anyway, I can't believe ppl taking Harden over Curry....Curry offensively is greater than Harden at everything except getting bail out fts...Both not great defensively, but Curry is better than Harden in that as well....Curry also greater playmaker....And was ballin vs the Spurs better than LeBron ever could......Yawl trippin.

Bobcats2013
08-20-2013, 08:16 AM
People picking Harden have the same ownership IQ as Michael Jordan.

I<3NBA
08-20-2013, 08:24 AM
I agree. I'll take the guy who has gone further in the playoffs.
umm, Harden has reached the Finals.

SpurrDurr
08-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I like more Curry's game, he doesn't need to have the ball always in his hands. Also Harden relies too much on FTs, i think refs sooner or later will start making adjustments.

The only major concern is Curry's ankles otherwise in my opinion he's the best player.

SacJB Shady
08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
I like more Curry's game, he doesn't need to have the ball always in his hands. Also Harden relies too much on FTs, i think refs sooner or later will start making adjustments.

The only major concern is Curry's ankles otherwise in my opinion he's the best player.

Harden's biggest strength is his flopping

branslowski
08-20-2013, 09:19 AM
umm, Harden has reached the Finals.

Post his numbers...Also Durant and Westbrook carried him there. Steph bout to murder dem.

mugiwara
08-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Harden is better at controlling an offense, he can play half court or even up tempo. Great playmaker

This is so incorrect, i cant believe you think this way. Maybe you watched alot of OKC where compared to Durant and Goatbrook he looks like Nash.

305Baller
08-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I'll take Curry if he can build on last years playoff performance and be consistent.

Mr Exlax
08-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Both have a 1 year age difference (Curry turned 25 this year, Harden is turning 24). After both of them having breakout seasons, who would you take going forward?

On 17 field goal attempts and 10 free throw attempts, Harden put up 26/5/6 (points/rebounds/assists) on 44/37/85 shooting. He played 38 minutes per game and had a PER of 23.

On 18 field goal attempts and 4 free throw attempts, Curry put up 23/4/7 (points/rebounds/assists) on 45/45/90 shooting. He also played 38 mpg and had a PER of 21.

Who do you take going forward? At this point it seems to be Harden's ability to draw FT's versus Curry's elite shooting.

I'll take Harden, but not being biased. The thing about it is that Harden was able to put these numbers up without a legit second option. Parsons would count I guess, but that's it. Put Harden on a team with other threats and a big man that can finish in the middle and I expect his numbers to be a lot better than Curry's.

scm5
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Curry all day for me. It's not just about his talent, the kids fuels the Warriors and the fanbase. His team gets so into the game when he's on as do the fans. He's become the heart and soul of the Warriors team.

sc19
08-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Misleading stats is misleading.
Harden sucked balls against good teams. Driving and flopping for calls... pathetic. Curry thrives against those good teams.

Mr Exlax
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM

It's funny that the only person to see it has Harden as his avatar too lol. That's the same point I was trying to make.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Curry. Harden's efficiency took a smash as the season went along. His game is too simplistic and ref-reliant.

You can say Curry relies too much on the perimeter shot. Except he makes with almost the same efficiency Melo makes layups. He does it running off screens, off the dribble, double teamed, from 27, falling out of bounds... And they all go in. It's like he's never not hot and once he crosses mid court, every shot is available for him. :confusedshrug: I think he's top 3 in the NBA as a pure offensive weapon. His playmaking is tremendous as well.

TheReal Kendall
08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
If Curry can stay healthy I'll take him.

I feel his ceiling is higher than Harden's.

Inferno
06-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Bump + edited OP. How do y'all feel now that season's over for both of them?

stalkerforlife
06-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Harden.

He seems more durable.

Inferno
06-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Harden.

He seems more durable.

Harden's played 78 and 73 games the last two seasons, Steph's played 78 and 78

YouGotServed
06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
The better player, Harden.

stalkerforlife
06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Harden's played 78 and 73 games the last two seasons, Steph's played 78 and 78

Curry missed a ton of games before and he was documented to have bad ankles.

And he looks frail.

Milbuck
06-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Steph, and it's not even remotely close.

Rocketswin2013
06-04-2014, 10:55 PM
The better player, Harden.
:applause: That first team selection.

YouGotServed
06-04-2014, 11:02 PM
:applause: That first team selection.

:cheers: Always funny when stat nerds on this forum get their shit pushed in and wake up to reality.

Harden is the best 2 guard in the league. The people who actually know what they're talking about and whose opinions actually matter will agree with me.

Harden is All NBA 1st, deal with it.

Milbuck
06-04-2014, 11:05 PM
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4398543/portland.gif

James Harden called for the switch. MVP for the opposition :applause:

YouGotServed
06-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Reality: Harden is All NBA 1st team.

Must sting for the haters.

JUDGE WITNESS
06-04-2014, 11:20 PM
steph curr