PDA

View Full Version : How come no one ever mentions Kobe's 2006 season...

MavsSuperFan
09-11-2013, 01:45 AM
As one of the great individual performances of all time?

dude was lighting it up that season. Had a stretch where he was scoring 40 points like it was nothing.

no pun intended
09-11-2013, 01:46 AM
Because it has already been mentioned.

DuMa
09-11-2013, 01:47 AM
dude had the green light all season long. who cares

9erempiree
09-11-2013, 01:48 AM
The reason why nobody mentions it because it's common knowledge. You know how when people ask who the greatest player ever is, people will say MJ or Kobe.

It's like what is the greatest season ever....Kobe 2006. Common knowledge. It wouldn't be fun comparing seasons when we can all trump it with Kobe 2006.

We try not to mention it so we can keep a good discussion going on.

TheMilkyBarKid
09-11-2013, 01:50 AM
The reason why nobody mentions it because it's common knowledge. You know how when people ask who the greatest player ever is, people will say MJ or Kobe.

It's like what is the greatest season ever....Kobe 2006. Common knowledge. It wouldn't be fun comparing seasons when we can all trump it with Kobe 2006.

Lol

9erempiree
09-11-2013, 01:52 AM
Casual fan: Wow! Did you see Lebron last year? What an amazing season.

Smart fan: Kobe 2006.

Casual fan: You're right. My bad. Going back to my cave now.

Smart fan: You do that.

ispin69
09-11-2013, 02:04 AM
ISH member #1: Remember Kobe 2006?
ISH member #2: Yeah, he went full T-Mac mode. Score a bunch of points and got wiped out in the first round or not make the playoffs at all.
ISH member #3: Why do people compare him to MJ when he's more like TMac?
Everyone: *nodds*

branslowski
09-11-2013, 02:06 AM
ISH member #2: Yeah, he went full T-Mac mode. Score a bunch of points and got wiped out in the first round or not make the playoffs at all.

:facepalm

secund2nun
09-11-2013, 02:12 AM
7th seed first round knockout....truly Tmac like without an elite front court.

The domination of prime Kobe :bowdown:

3LiftHeatCurse
09-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Fun fact : 2006 was the season that the NBA switched to a new Composite ball

Scoring was up all around the league that year, and went back down the year after in 2007 when they switched back to regular balls.

Inferno
09-11-2013, 02:27 AM

Scoring was up all around the league that year, and went back down the year after in 2007 when they switched back to regular balls.

They switched back to the regular balls January 2007. Looking at Kobe's splits that season, the ball change didn't make a difference in his scoring.

chazzy
09-11-2013, 02:28 AM

Fun fact: you're wrong as usual. It was only used in the first two months of the 06-07 season.

eliteballer
09-11-2013, 02:39 AM
..and to think he played this season on a bum knee. Look at those dunks he barely pulled off vs portland against the ones he had in 2007 and 2008.

I think he would have pushed 40 ppg if his knee was healthy.

onhcetum
09-11-2013, 02:49 AM
This is why I refuse to put him above Shaq, Duncan, and now Lebron. At his absolute peak and the prime of the prime of the prime of his career, his team was a bottom feeder (two 1st round knockouts and missed the playoffs one year). And this is supposedly a top 10 player of all-time? lol

9erempiree
09-11-2013, 03:01 AM

New ball argument? ISH has been on an all time low with intelligence. That's not even a good argument to bring up.

murder.

"Our players' response to this particular composite ball has been consistently negative and we are acting accordingly," Stern said in a statement. "Although testing performed by Spalding and the NBA demonstrated that the new composite basketball was more consistent than leather and statistically there has been an improvement in shooting, scoring and ball-related turnovers, the most important statistic is the view of our players.

"In the meantime, we will work with our players and our partners at Spalding to determine the best possible ball for the NBA," he said.

Steve Nash on new ball:

"I'm disappointed that they didn't seek more input from us before they [introduced the new ball] and I'm disappointed that we're changing the ball during the season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2694335

New ball was tearing up players' hands and made them bleed.

3LiftHeatCurse
09-11-2013, 03:13 AM
They switched back to the regular balls January 2007. Looking at Kobe's splits that season, the ball change didn't make a difference in his scoring.

I didn't mention anyone's names.

All I said was a fact. Scoring was up all around the league that year.

KyleKong
09-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Didn't Kobe ball chuck to the 7th seed and get eliminated in the first round?

Whats so cool about that?

Deuce Bigalow
09-11-2013, 03:29 AM
This is why I refuse to put him above Shaq, Duncan, and now Lebron. At his absolute peak and the prime of the prime of the prime of his career, his team was a bottom feeder (two 1st round knockouts and missed the playoffs one year). And this is supposedly a top 10 player of all-time? lol
Kareem cough Hakeem cough Wilt cough Jordan cough

Jacks3
09-11-2013, 04:41 AM
One of the greatest seasons in history.

35+/5+/5/2/56% TS/114 ORTG.

Godly.

:bowdown:

9erempiree
09-11-2013, 05:01 AM

Godly.

Kobe 2006.

:applause:

arifgokcen
09-11-2013, 05:42 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No_Look604
09-11-2013, 05:43 AM

smush parker, kwame brown, luke walton, lamar odom.

Horrible starting 5! Don't even mention their bench. Don't be stoopid.

plowking
09-11-2013, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=eliteballer]..and to think he played this season on a bum knee. Look at those dunks he barely pulled off vs portland against the ones he had in 2007 and 2008.

I think he would have pushed 40 ppg if his knee was healthy.[/QUOTE

Kobe is never healthy according to his fans. :oldlol:

Yeah, sure... he would have pushed 40ppg. :oldlol:

Hoopz2332
09-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Lebron's season that year was better @ 31 7 7

Wavves
09-11-2013, 06:25 AM
7th seed and eliminated in the first round.

GOAT SEASON

havoc33
09-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Which of course has nothing to do with the supporting cast he was playing with now does it (not to mention playing in the West, by far the most competitive conference his entire career)? I won't kill you for putting Shaq or Duncan above him (it's debatable), but if these three seasons you are referring to is the reason, you're simply an idiot and don't understand the game.

Kobe was playing with Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown and Smush Parker alongside him. Lamar Odom was their second best player for chrissakes. I'm sorry, but in the western conference that won't cut it. Which was the reason why NO ONE in the media picked the Lakers to even make the Playoffs in 2006. Yet, they made it, Kobe posted a historical season and pushed a very good Suns team to the brink in the first round. That is actually a credit to Kobe's skill, not a detriment.

9erempiree
09-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Lebron's season that year was better @ 31 7 7

Kobe 2006.

DMAVS41
09-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Godly.

Honestly...stats wise...was Lebron's season better?

31/7/7/2/1 57% TS 28.1 PER 115 ortg 104 drtg .232 ws/48

35/5/5/2/0 56% TS 28 PER 114 ortg 105 drtg .224 ws/48

Really close if you ask me.

Inferno
09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=3LiftHeatCurse]I didn't mention anyone's names.

SilkkTheShocker
09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Dude is nothing more than a scoring sideshow without a stacked frontcourt

HoopsFanNumero1
09-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Like with any other season, Lebron's was better.

Akhenaten
09-11-2013, 11:20 AM
they talk about that season all the time on here

what's never talked about isIverson avg 33 and 7 that same season

I think about 20+ guys avg 25ppg or more that season

KG215
09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
I didn't mention anyone's names.

“Although testing performed by Spalding and the NBA demonstrated that the new composite basketball was more consistent than leather, and statistically there has been an improvement in shooting, scoring, and ball-related turnovers, the most important statistic is the view of our players.”
:oldlol:

Bullshit. You tried to play it off like the ball was the reason scoring was up league wide, and why Kobe's scoring specifically was up, even though he pointed out they switched back to the old ball mid-season and Kobe continued scoring at an absurd rate.

AlphaWolf24
09-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Kobe's 06' season was the greatest Offensive season I ever seen...

MJ's 86' was statistically more dominating but MJ didn't have the allaround game yet....Kobe had so many ways to score and honestly....watching him ONLY Drop 40 points felt like a disappointment that year..

Kobe was expected to drop 50....every night:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
09-11-2013, 12:42 PM

MJ's 86' was statistically more dominating but MJ didn't have the allaround game yet....Kobe had so many ways to score and honestly....watching him ONLY Drop 40 points felt like a disappointment that year..

From that year

"Let's be honest. Bryant isn't judged the same as other players. If personality didn't color judgment, if effort and understanding of the game could be quantified in a boxscore, there would not be any confusion over who the game's best player is. That wasn't his fault until he proved over the last 10 days that he could overcome all that, could force the most anti-Kobe soul to concede that there's no one who can do what he can." Ric Bucher, writing in Daily Dime at ESPN.com right after Bryant's 43 point game. Bucher indicated how high Bryant has set the bar: a game that would be a career night for many players was anticlimactic coming from Bryant: "If there's such a thing as a dissatisfying 43-point performance, Kobe Bryant delivered it Sunday night against the Golden State Warriors. Yeah, he still hit an array of momentum-swinging shots, and yeah, the Los Angeles Lakers still won, 115-113, and, yeah, it was a performance that by almost any other player would be considered pretty damn good." He made an excellent point about Bryant's supporting cast when he added, "I noticed the weird listlessness of Lamar Odom on D and the careless ballhandling of Smush Parker and the general ambivalence of Kwame Brown that makes it astounding that the Lakers are six games over .500."

zoom17
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

3peated
09-11-2013, 01:01 PM

is this clippersfan86?

7_cody
09-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Casual fan: Wow! Did you see Lebron last year? What an amazing season.

Smart fan: Kobe 2006.

Casual fan: You're right. My bad. Going back to my cave now.

Smart fan: You do that.

hahahah :roll:

pauk
09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
From a statistical standpoint (PPG) it was obviously great... but thats about all that happened for him that season...

7_cody
09-11-2013, 01:49 PM
From a statistical standpoint (PPG) it was obviously great... but thats about all that happened for him that season...

Please, it wasn't just statistically great. The entertainment value was probably among the best the NBA has ever seen. It is not like he just got his teammates to set him up for open dunks and layups all game so that he could stat pad his PPG. He dominated the regular season offensively. Dominated. One of the best regular season scoring seasons of all time. Scoring at will. Ironically, if you look at how far he took that team, it wasn't just a great individual season either.

edit: deleted a sentence where I repeated the same thing twice

pegasus
09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Had he played in the much weaker Eastern Conference, he would have had even better averages and he would have won enough games to be the MVP (he still should have been). That's why it's so meaningless to compare players based on their MVP counts. You might as well throw in their all-star vote counts too.:lol

Kblaze8855
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
they talk about that season all the time on here

what's never talked about isIverson avg 33 and 7 that same season

Yea...his 06 season comes up all the time. More than it should probably. Especially considering nothing of note happened aside from a high ppg and high point totals from games that didnt matter.

Its clearly a season of great performances. But much like the year Tiny put up 34/11 and led the NBA in scoring and assists...

Nothing happened that really matters to history.

Kobe himself would probably say it didnt matter. Hes the guy saying 55-60 win years are wasted seasons without a ring.

Any season ending in a barely 500 record and losing in the first round means nothing to Kobe.

Which is probably why after he put up like 32ppg the next year he demanded out.

I dont think shit like that even feels good t othe Kobe types. Like Wilt who would tell you quick that his 50ppg season wasnt even that great compared to his Philly days or Jordan who speaks on his 35-37ppg days like a bad memory before his career really got going.

PPg and losing makes Monta Ellis proud.

Kobe doesnt give a shit about his ppg if his team isnt any good. He knows given a shitty team he could score way over 30 a game at any point from 01-2013.

He had to push his scoring more than usual.

But he was dropping 40ppg months in 2003. Not like that talent went anywhere for a few years. And it didnt go away in 2008 either.

His ppg is a reflection of his team not what hes capable of.

I bet he thinks on 05-07 as the lowpoint of his professional life.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM
It actually gets brought up all the time. I mean....it is his best season.

7_cody
09-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Yea...his 06 season comes up all the time. More than it should probably. Especially considering nothing of note happened aside from a high ppg and high point totals from games that didnt matter.

Its clearly a season of great performances. But much like the year Tiny put up 34/11 and led the NBA in scoring and assists...

Nothing happened that really matters to history.

Kobe himself would probably say it didnt matter. Hes the guy saying 55-60 win years are wasted seasons without a ring.

Any season ending in a barely 500 record and losing in the first round means nothing to Kobe.

Which is probably why after he put up like 32ppg the next year he demanded out.

I dont think shit like that even feels good t othe Kobe types. Like Wilt who would tell you quick that his 50ppg season wasnt even that great compared to his Philly days or Jordan who speaks on his 35-37ppg days like a bad memory before his career really got going.

PPg and losing makes Monta Ellis proud.

Kobe doesnt give a shit about his ppg if his team isnt any good. He knows given a shitty team he could score way over 30 a game at any point from 01-2013.

He had to push his scoring more than usual.

But he was dropping 40ppg months in 2003. Not like that talent went anywhere for a few years. And it didnt go away in 2008 either.

His ppg is a reflection of his team not what hes capable of.

I bet he thinks on 05-07 as the lowpoint of his professional life.

Well said

cos88
09-11-2013, 04:27 PM
he was fantastic in the regular season, didn't care about anything just himself. he scored all his points in the RS and was incapable of scoring in the second half of the most important game of the season, game 7. incapable or he probably just flat out QUIT.

AintNoSunshine
09-11-2013, 04:58 PM

LOL so the dude's peak season is the same as pre-primed Lebron, this should end the debate for good

TheWalkman
09-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Stuff like this makes me respect the mentally handicapped even more, if thinking like this and posting on ISH keeps you happy and distracts you from your disability, then keep on doin' it. Rock on man :rockon:

branslowski
09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
From that year

"Let's be honest. Bryant isn't judged the same as other players. If personality didn't color judgment, if effort and understanding of the game could be quantified in a boxscore, there would not be any confusion over who the game's best player is. That wasn't his fault until he proved over the last 10 days that he could overcome all that, could force the most anti-Kobe soul to concede that there's no one who can do what he can." Ric Bucher, writing in Daily Dime at ESPN.com right after Bryant's 43 point game. Bucher indicated how high Bryant has set the bar: a game that would be a career night for many players was anticlimactic coming from Bryant: "If there's such a thing as a dissatisfying 43-point performance, Kobe Bryant delivered it Sunday night against the Golden State Warriors. Yeah, he still hit an array of momentum-swinging shots, and yeah, the Los Angeles Lakers still won, 115-113, and, yeah, it was a performance that by almost any other player would be considered pretty damn good." He made an excellent point about Bryant's supporting cast when he added, "I noticed the weird listlessness of Lamar Odom on D and the careless ballhandling of Smush Parker and the general ambivalence of Kwame Brown that makes it astounding that the Lakers are six games over .500."

:applause:

SamuraiSWISH
09-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I sipped the Kobe koolaid that season, impressive then, after a disappointing playoffs and context via retrospect of what everyone was doing that season due to the freedom of movement rule changes ... it became much less impressive. Kobe's 2003, 2008, 2009, and 2010 are held in higher regard by me personally.

Legends66NBA7
09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Not mentioned amongst the greatest individual seasons ?:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160553

Besides, the 62 points in 3 quarters and 81 point game get mentioned here all the time, along with the 35ppg... it's probably his most popular season.

Hoopz2332
09-11-2013, 06:31 PM

I can't remember the site but it's one of these NBA statistical sites and they ranked lebron's season that year to better than Kobe's based on stats.

Young X
09-11-2013, 06:36 PM
2003 Kobe >>>>>>>>

DMAVS41
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
I can't remember the site but it's one of these NBA statistical sites and they ranked lebron's season that year to better than Kobe's based on stats.

Well yea...just on stats it probably was better.

And then Lebron outdid him in the playoffs as well;

28/6/5/1/0 59% TS 19.9 PER 108 ortg 114 drtg .087 ws/48

31/8/6/1/1 56% TS 23.2 PER 108 ortg 107 drtg .135 ws/48

Kobe's 06 season is one of the most over-rated seasons in NBA history.

Heavincent
09-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Kobe's 06 season is one of the most over-rated seasons in NBA history.

You would say that.

Smoke117
09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
There really isn't anything to mention about it. He took a shitload of shots and averaged 35ppg. His defense was mediocre that season and the Lakers only won 48 games. Lebron James, Dirk Nowitzki and Dwyane Wade were all better players that season

TheMarkMadsen
09-11-2013, 08:40 PM
You would say that.

Using his logic Dirks MVP run in 07 means absolute shit

branslowski
09-11-2013, 08:48 PM
You would say that.

Well ofcource it isn't, but he's waiting on someone to take the bait to start a 100page argument that shall never end with him not caring how many times hes owned, shit he won't admit it, he'll just jump topics and argue untill you just get upset and give up because you actually have a life.

SamuraiSWISH
09-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Well ofcource it isn't, but he's waiting on someone to take the bait to start a 100page argument that shall never end with him not caring how many times hes owned, shit he won't admit it, he'll just jump topics and argue untill you just get upset and give up because you actually have a life.
:oldlol: