PDA

View Full Version : Better player during best year of his career: Kobe Bryant or LeBron James?

hawkfan
09-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Who is the better player during the best year of his career: Kobe Bryant or LeBron James?

hawkfan
09-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Each player's best individual season against the other's.

Lebron23
09-18-2013, 05:38 AM
You are such an attention whore.

hawkfan
09-18-2013, 06:47 AM
You are such an attention whore.

39000 posts?

Where's LeBronville?

Lebron23
09-18-2013, 07:29 AM
39000 posts?

Where's LeBronville?

http://static.microcosmpublishing.com/catimages/image_511.gif

Lebronville is the Center of The Universe.

#number6ix#
09-18-2013, 09:24 AM
I gotta go with LeBron's 2011-2012 season as the best between the two:

MVP
Nba champion
Fmvp
1st team all-nba
1st team all-nba defense
Olympic Gold medal

tmacattack33
09-18-2013, 10:31 AM
This question is over.

The only reason this was an argument three years ago, was because Lebron 2009 did not have a ring to go along with it.

Now that he's had two similarly great years, with rings, this is a non-question. LOL.

Eric Cartman
09-18-2013, 11:04 AM

MVP
Nba champion
Fmvp
1st team all-nba
1st team all-nba defense
Olympic Gold medal

This. Only Jordan did such a thing.

thabisyo
09-18-2013, 11:16 AM

MVP
Nba champion
Fmvp
1st team all-nba
1st team all-nba defense
Olympic Gold medal

The post season and the finals performance was magical :applause:

HurricaneKid
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
LeBron might have 4-5 seasons better than Kobe's best.

hawkfan
09-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Which ones?

zoom17
09-18-2013, 07:09 PM

MVP
Nba champion
Fmvp
1st team all-nba
1st team all-nba defense
Olympic Gold medal

:applause:

zoom17
09-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Which ones?

funnystuff
09-18-2013, 07:10 PM
At least.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-18-2013, 07:11 PM

MVP
Nba champion
Fmvp
1st team all-nba
1st team all-nba defense
Olympic Gold medal

Pretty much.

Kiddlovesnets
09-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Id give it to Lebron, since he won titles and MVPs at his absolute prime. Kobe won titles when he was too young/carried by Shaq, or when he was already past his peak.

zoom17
09-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Id give it to Lebron, since he won titles and MVPs at his absolute prime. Kobe won titles when he was too young/carried by Shaq, or when he was already past his peak.

you already know

Living Being
06-03-2014, 09:28 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/m7FdxI252QN3y/giphy.gif

JohnFreeman
06-03-2014, 09:32 PM

MVP
Nba champion
Fmvp
1st team all-nba
1st team all-nba defense
Olympic Gold medal
:bowdown:

gts
06-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Circle jerks are ok but you kids make sure you clean yourselves up before you go out in public

TheMarkMadsen
06-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Lebron as a heat is averaging 26.8/8.5/5.8/2/1 in the playoffs (11-14)

Kobe from 08-10 averaged 30/6/5.6/2/1 in the playoffs, carried a heavier load offensively, and had an inferior cast to Lebrons heat.

During Kobes run he became the only player in nba history to score 600+ points in 3 consecutive post seasons, a record that may ever be broken.

Also interesting to note is that Lebrons ppg & apg have dropped almost every year from the regular season to the playoffs while playing from the heat. A luxury Kobe could never afford

While Kobe from 08-10 continuously upped his scoring and assist in the playoffs as he didnt have the benefit of playing with a team as talented as Lebrons who can pick up the scoring when Lebron isn't on.

Kobe.

Rocketswin2013
06-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Lebron as a heat is averaging 26.8/8.5/5.8/2/1 in the playoffs (11-14)

Kobe from 08-10 averaged 30/6/6/2/1 in the playoffs, carried a heavier load offensively, and had an inferior cast to Lebrons heat.

During Kobes run he became the only player in nba history to score 600+ points in 3 consecutive post seasons, a record that may ever be broken.

Also interesting to note is that Lebrons ppg & apg have dropped almost every year from the regular season to the playoffs..

While Kobe from 08-10 continuously upped his scoring and assist in the playoffs as he didnt have the benefit of playing with a team as talented as Lebrons who can pick up how scoring when Lebron isn't on.

Kobe.
Ok. Now how much of what you just typed do you actually believe?

TheMarkMadsen
06-03-2014, 10:08 PM

Well lets see

Kobes record of 600 points in 3 consecutive playoffs is a fact.

Kobe averaging more points and same amount of assist is a fact

Lebrons ppg & apg going down almost ever year from the regular season to the playoffs as a heat is a fact

Kobe ppg & apg going up every year from the regular season to the playoffs from 08-10 is a fact.

:confusedshrug:

moe94
06-03-2014, 10:09 PM
:roll:

raprap
06-03-2014, 10:12 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol:

Milbuck
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Swish summed it up pretty nicely in another thread. Lebron is the overall better player, Kobe when hot is the more unstoppable player.

sundizz
06-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Some of these arguments are so silly though. Why list accolades like 1st team All NBA, Olympic Champ etc? Two people can both be 1st team All-NBA and one of them clearly being better.

And again, they are such different players that it is really pointless to compare.

Lebron can carry a much heavier load than Kobe over the course of a game. However, in the playoffs, having that gun slinger is just as important. Lebron will always have passive parts of his game...he doesn't scare opponents, he just outplays them.

When Kobe played the prime Spurs, he put an absolute beatdown on them. If he has the pieces around him (such as a good, dominant big man) he can do everything else. However, if he has to singlehandedly carry a team, he is worse at it than Lebron (e.g., Cavs).

Similarly, Lebron, for all his skills, is much worse at playing with a really dominant player. He doesn't know how to pick and choose his spots to be offensively dominant the way Kobe does. Lebron and Shaq is a worse combo than Kobe and Shaq. Simply because Lebron doesn't just take over and be selfish at time (which is what is needed).

If you have a dominant big man -> Kobe is the better player to try and win a chip with

If you want to surround somebody with pieces -> Lebron is better

Could prime Kobe + Wade + Bosh win chips. No doubt. Especially going through the East. However, the difference would be that they would do it a lot more with Kobe + Bosh. Bosh would become Pau Gasolesque. Kobe brings the best out of every big man he plays with because of his style. He draws attention and takes crazy shots...but that also allows for the best offensive rebounding opportunities of their careers (check any big man he's played with, their O-bound stats are much better with him around).

JohnFreeman
06-03-2014, 10:43 PM
:lol

Inferno
06-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Swish summed it up pretty nicely in another thread. Lebron is the overall better player, Kobe when hot is the more unstoppable player.

Keno
06-03-2014, 10:45 PM
lebron and not even close.

Inferno
06-03-2014, 10:47 PM
lebron and not even close.

Come on now.

pauk
06-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Statistical year: Lebron -
A couple of seasons to choose from...

Achievements year: Lebron -
In one year he managed mvp, fmvp, championship, olympic gold, all-star & most all-star votes, 1st all-nba/all-defensive team & most all-nba/all-defensive votes, runner up DPOY, best stats, best player, most most most most of essentially most things imaginable etc. the only award he missed was the All-star MVP...

HOoopCityJones
06-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I'd take either.

dreamwarrior
06-03-2014, 11:04 PM
By the time Lebron's 30 he has scored 50+ points a game 10 times

By the time he was 31 Kobe had scored 50+ points a game 20 times

Lebron only needs to score 50 points 10 more times next year to be comparable in greatness to Kobe.

GimmeThat
06-03-2014, 11:11 PM
I thought about it today.

I feel like if we were to break down players
and to separate them by testaments, I'd have them as follow

Old Testaments:
Michael Jordan
Jerry West
Kareem
Hakeem
Duncan
Paul Pierce
Malone

New Testaments
Lebron James
Shaq
Barkley
Chris Paul
Stockton
Kobe

The first group of players plays their position so well. That they aren't so much versatile, but is capable of doing everything their position is required

The second group of players are either playing out of their position, or their skill sets really allows them to play more than what their traditional role is required.

This list probably sucks, and everyone will look at it differently because everyone coaches differently.

But you know, food for thoughts.

Keno
06-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Come on now.

Each player's best individual season against the other's.

:confusedshrug:. none of kobe's season even come close to lebron's best.

JT123
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Some of these arguments are so silly though. Why list accolades like 1st team All NBA, Olympic Champ etc? Two people can both be 1st team All-NBA and one of them clearly being better.

And again, they are such different players that it is really pointless to compare.

Lebron can carry a much heavier load than Kobe over the course of a game. However, in the playoffs, having that gun slinger is just as important. Lebron will always have passive parts of his game...he doesn't scare opponents, he just outplays them.

When Kobe played the prime Spurs, he put an absolute beatdown on them. If he has the pieces around him (such as a good, dominant big man) he can do everything else. However, if he has to singlehandedly carry a team, he is worse at it than Lebron (e.g., Cavs).

Similarly, Lebron, for all his skills, is much worse at playing with a really dominant player. He doesn't know how to pick and choose his spots to be offensively dominant the way Kobe does. Lebron and Shaq is a worse combo than Kobe and Shaq. Simply because Lebron doesn't just take over and be selfish at time (which is what is needed).

If you have a dominant big man -> Kobe is the better player to try and win a chip with

If you want to surround somebody with pieces -> Lebron is better

Could prime Kobe + Wade + Bosh win chips. No doubt. Especially going through the East. However, the difference would be that they would do it a lot more with Kobe + Bosh. Bosh would become Pau Gasolesque. Kobe brings the best out of every big man he plays with because of his style. He draws attention and takes crazy shots...but that also allows for the best offensive rebounding opportunities of their careers (check any big man he's played with, their O-bound stats are much better with him around).
Is that a troll comment? :oldlol: I certainly hope it is. Bosh and Kobe could never work. Gasol is a much better rebounder and post player than Bosh has ever been. Plus Gasol is better at taking verbal abuse, while Bosh would start crying on the court if Kobe yelled at him for not rebounding his bricks.

dubeta
06-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Kobe prime = lottery team and 1st round loser

Lebron prime = Back to back MVP and FMVP

This isnt hard ppl

Xiengqichess
06-04-2014, 01:53 AM
Kobe didn't score 7 points in a playoff game in his prime.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-04-2014, 02:00 AM

:djparty

annbafan
06-04-2014, 02:47 AM
as i said in another thread, the only player i would take over prime Kobe is Michael Jordan

RoundMoundOfReb
06-04-2014, 03:29 AM
LeBron's in his 5th best year was better than Kobe in his best. Even Wade in his best year was better than Kobe was in his (although this is close).

Warfan
06-04-2014, 03:35 AM
LeBron's in his 5th best year was better than Kobe in his best. Even Wade in his best year was better than Kobe was in his (although this is close).

Id love to hear all 5 years that are better than kobe's best....Let me guess, 09,10, 12-14?

RoundMoundOfReb
06-04-2014, 03:41 AM
Id love to hear all 5 years that are better than kobe's best....Let me guess, 09,10, 12-14?
09 10 12 13 14

iBandwagon
06-04-2014, 03:42 AM

No, but he did miss the playoffs altogether.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-04-2014, 04:13 AM

MarkMadsen is literally the worst poster on this site. I believe he has said Ilgauskas = Pau before :oldlol:

zoom17
06-04-2014, 04:16 AM

:oldlol:

Warfan
06-04-2014, 04:32 AM
09 10 12 13 14

Sorry, forgot I posted :lol

I wouldn't count 14' yet, plenty versions of kobe would wreck the teams LeBron has played so far. And LeBron might have a below average performance in the finals (again). Last year LeBron underperformed in the playoffs, against Chicago and especially in the finals (first 5 3/4 games). Imagine what peak Kobe would do to the defense the Spurs played on Lebron. Heck, Frobe was dominating the twin towers Spurs team, and had a very good series against the Spurs in 08'.

12, 09, 13 (arguable)> kobe's peak

Id say 10 (weaker case) and 13 are arguable, he had some questionable performances and was disappointing for important stretches of series'.

Kobe has 01, 03, 06, 08, 09 and 10 to choose from. IMO, Atleast one of those years is better than atleast one of lebrons.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-04-2014, 04:42 AM

I wouldn't count 14' yet, plenty versions of kobe would wreck the teams LeBron has played so far. And LeBron might be have a below average performance in the finals (again). Last year LeBron underperformed in the playoffs, against Chicago and especially in the finals (first 5 3/4 games). Imagine what peak Kobe would do to the defense the Spurs played on Lebron. Heck, Frobe was dominating the twin towers Spurs team, and had a very good series against the Spurs in 08'.

12, 09, 13 (arguable)> kobe's peak

Id say 10 (weaker case) and 13 are arguable, he had some questionable performances and was disappointing for important stretches of series'.

Kobe has 01, 03, 06, 08, 09 and 10 to choose from. IMO, Atleast one of those years is better than atleast one of lebrons.

Pick a year so we can debate.

I'd say of the years i listed the weakest is '10 but you'd literally be disqualifying an entire season of absurd dominance (30p/7r/9a on 60% TS leading a crappy supporting cast to 60 wins) because of ONE bad game vs a very good '10 Celtics team that essentially played the Lakers to a draw in the finals (losing an extremely close game 7 on the road).

As far as '13? Not a question in my mind. In fact I think this was his best year. Absolutely dominant regular season - 28 straight wins, 66-16 record etc. He had a sub par first half to the finals but looking at the playoffs as a whole he won the championship and an FMVP with nobody else on his team playing particularly well. Bosh was worse than Birdman and Wade wasn't Wade.

Warfan
06-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Pick a year so we can debate.

I'd say of the years i listed the weakest is '10 but you'd literally be disqualifying an entire season of absurd dominance (30p/7r/9a on 60% TS leading a crappy supporting cast to 60 wins) because of ONE bad game vs a very good '10 Celtics team that essentially played the Lakers to a draw in the finals (losing an extremely close game 7 on the road).

As far as '13? Not a question in my mind. In fact I think this was his best year. Absolutely dominant regular season - 28 straight wins, 66-16 record etc. He had a sub par first half to the finals but looking at the playoffs as a whole he won the championship and an FMVP with nobody else on his team playing particularly well. Bosh was worse than Birdman and Wade wasn't Wade.

You make good points, and im inclined to agree. Even when I was typing my reply I thought that a good case could be made that 09-14 LeBron (besides 11' and maybe 14') is better than any version of Kobe.

Ill agree that 09, 10, 12 and 13 Lebron (with 12' or 13' being his best year) are better than any Kobe....

edit- if u actually read this... I think I could make a case for atleast a year or 2. Maybe in the morning, its late as ****

Solefade
06-04-2014, 05:29 AM

can anyone really stop lebron when his jumpers are falling? that's literally the only weakness in his game and when that's going it's goodnight for everyone else...i guess it's arguable

Solefade
06-04-2014, 05:32 AM

MarkMadsen is literally the worst poster on this site. I believe he has said Ilgauskas = Pau before :oldlol:

he really is. one of the biggest kobetards on ISH

masonanddixon
06-04-2014, 06:23 AM
It's pretty obvious to me, as someone who watched them both, that Kobe was clearly better---especially from 2005-2008 he was on par with Jordan, possibly even better.

Literally everything in basketball (skills/moves/stroke, jumpshot, ability to get to rim, lockdown defense) he was better at than lebron.

Lebron is a better teammate though and has benefited immensely from being in a weak East--I would put him as the 4th-6th best player of the post-MJ era

aj1987
06-04-2014, 06:58 AM

I wouldn't count 14' yet, plenty versions of kobe would wreck the teams LeBron has played so far. And LeBron might have a below average performance in the finals (again). Last year LeBron underperformed in the playoffs, against Chicago and especially in the finals (first 5 3/4 games). Imagine what peak Kobe would do to the defense the Spurs played on Lebron. Heck, Frobe was dominating the twin towers Spurs team, and had a very good series against the Spurs in 08'.
Why do people keep saying that LeBron was good only for the final Q of Game 6 and Game 7? :facepalm

Game 1 - 18/18/10. That's a monster game for anyone. If TP's 2 amazing shots don't go in, and Miami won the game, people would be saying that LeBron had a great game.
Game 2 - 17/8/7/3/3. Miami blew out the Spurs and LeBron was a beast defensively. LeBron was looking to pass mostly as other were having good games. Not a good game for LeBron, but definitely not a bad one either.
Game 3 - Garbage game.
Game 4 - 33/11/4/2/2. How on earth is that a bad game? Miami won as well.
Game 5 - 25/6/8/4. Miami lost and LeBron shot like shit.
Game 6 - 32/10/11/3/1. A 30 point triple double. Enough said.
Game 7 - 37/12/4/2.

In all, he had 4 good games and one decent one. In 2 games, he shot like shit.

Unbiased_one
06-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Come on now.

Lebron's 5 best seasons are all clearly better than Kobe's best.

ILLsmak
06-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Lebron's 5 best seasons are all clearly better than Kobe's best.

Maybe not all that. I dunno if I posted in this before, but it's pretty obvious at their best LeBron was better than Kobe.

-Smak

TheMarkMadsen
06-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Well lets see

Kobes record of 600 points in 3 consecutive playoffs is a fact.

Kobe averaging more points and same amount of assist is a fact

Lebrons ppg & apg going down almost ever year from the regular season to the playoffs as a heat is a fact

Kobe ppg & apg going up every year from the regular season to the playoffs from 08-10 is a fact.

:confusedshrug:

Stay posting smilies cause they can't adress any of these points.

Try actually addressing my points instead of hiding behind your smilies

To add into that. 01 Kobe playoffs > Lebron 11,13,14(so far, Kobes run to the finals > Lebrons 14 tho)

K Xerxes
06-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Stay posting smilies cause they can't adress any of these points.

Try actually addressing my points instead of hiding behind your smilies

To add into that. 01 Kobe playoffs > Lebron 11,13,14(so far, Kobes run to the finals > Lebrons 14 tho)

Kobe 2001 finals: 24.6-7.8-5.8 on 41.5%. That's with Shaq dominating at 33-16-5-3 on 57%.

LeBron 13 led his team to a championship.

ArbitraryWater
06-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Can MarkMadsen make a list of Kobe&LeBron Top 5 Seasons?

I don't see any Kobe Season beating LeBron from 2009 on...

2011 is close, but hell, a bad finals series should now switch the entire season? Kobe's ony great finals series was 2002, and that's not close to being superior to 2011 LeBron... 2009 would be your only argument if you play the "weak finals" card.

ArbitraryWater
06-04-2014, 12:38 PM
And people are saying 2014 LeBron hasn't shown enough, yet?

Due people really understand what this man does out there night in night out?

In these playoffs he's only had TWO games that didn't consist of 20+ points and 50+% shooting... the scoring impact is godly, and is ALWAYS EXISTENT.

Then you get the playmaking, leadership, and great defense he's shown so far these playoffs... Not THAT close.

riseagainst
06-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Lebron is the 2nd GOAT already.

GOAT list:

1. Mikan
2. Lebron
3. Ray Allen

tpols
06-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Kobe 2001 finals: 24.6-7.8-5.8 on 41.5%. That's with Shaq dominating at 33-16-5-3 on 57%.

Ray Allen 13 led his team to a championship.

Fixed.

Ne 1
06-04-2014, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE]Kobe 2001 finals

That definitely wasn't a bad series for Kobe. He did struggle in the game 1 loss, but he still had a solid all around series, particularly after the game 1 loss (averaged 27/9/6/2 54 TS% in the 4 straight wins), and the Lakers won in a back door sweep. As I said, definitely not a bad series, particularly against a defensive powerhouse like Larry Brown's 2001 Sixers (Top 5 defense that year, #1 ranked defense after the Mutombo trade in February). He contributed on both ends of the court, and had a few triple double type games.

Also, it can't be forgotten how phenomenal Kobe was throughout the West playoff rounds (32/7/6 58 TS%), you do have to make it to the Finals before you can win them after all. He put up 35/9/4 59 TS% against the Kings and 33/7/7 57 TS% against the Spurs.

That's with Shaq dominating

That's irrelevant, we're looking at Kobe's production here. Why not judge championships on a case by case basis?

LeBron 13 led his team to a championship.

Of course, but relevance? Also let's be honest, during the Finals he was underwhelming by his standards and pretty much an afterthought up until the 4 quarter of Game 6 where he was money (until the end of the game when he choked and Ray Allen bailed him out). He was amazing in Game 7 though, so I don't feel like it's a big deal in terms of his legacy.