PDA

View Full Version : Pacers about to finalize 5-yr $90 mil extension for Paul George

no pun intended
09-22-2013, 10:19 PM
I guess Lakers fans can stop dreaming about signing him next free agency now.

InspiredLebowski
09-22-2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/satisfaction.gif

EnoughSaid
09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
$18 million a year? :eek: Can the Pacers afford to keep him, Hibbert and then pay at the end of the season to a guy like West?

InspiredLebowski
09-22-2013, 10:50 PM
$18 million a year? :eek: Can the Pacers afford to keep him, Hibbert and then pay at the end of the season to a guy like West?Yes. We already extended West for 3 years.

HomieWeMajor
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Now that his money's long he needs to come out like T-Mac in 2002

305Baller
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
he's good. better not let up now that hes superpaid

SamuraiSWISH
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Stupid money for a good, not near great type of player. Don't shoot me, I'm just not very impressed by him.

InspiredLebowski
09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Stupid money for a good, not near great type of playet. IMOwelcome to NBA contract negotiations.

jimmy77x
09-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Almost Joe Johnson territory, Max money for a 2nd/3rd Option type player.

Heavincent
09-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Almost Joe Johnson territory, Max money for a 2nd/3rd Option type player.

Still mad?

mentallooser
09-22-2013, 11:23 PM
He has the potential to be a franchise type player, but I don't think he has the instinct for it. He won't be that valuable in the regular season because they have so many weapons they can use on any given night. He will be needed in the playoffs to lock players down and blow past them on the other side of the court. He will need to be the main weapon and give Hibbert room to work.

kNicKz
09-22-2013, 11:24 PM
This is either genius or will be a disaster

InspiredLebowski
09-22-2013, 11:25 PM
should be noted this isn't the best worded article. should be something like "5 year max contract that could POTENTIALLY exceed $90mm," he's still got to meet the Rose Rule criteria. he doesn't it's 5 years/80 mil, whatever Wall got.

InspiredLebowski
09-22-2013, 11:28 PM
This is either genius or will be a disastereh, last time we had an albatross contract killing our cap we flipped it to Toronto for an expiring, TJ Ford, and Roy Hibbert

JimmyMcAdocious
09-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Would have been a restricted free agent, no? Was never going to LA.

Not yet, at least.

secund2nun
09-23-2013, 12:01 AM
This is instantly one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

noob cake
09-23-2013, 12:02 AM
17.4 PPG on 41.9% FG in the regular season, 37.6 MPG

19.2 PPG on 43.0% FG in the playoffs, 41.1 MPG

16.84 PER. George is about to become Gay v2. Oh Lord, save the Pacers.

Eric Cartman
09-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Pacers had to keep their core together so this signing makes sense, although it's way to much cash.

poido123
09-23-2013, 12:15 AM
I think he got a few bonus dollars on potential alone :lol

When are NBA teams gonna stop paying guys on potential? He is getting payed like a superstar, when he's not a superstar yet.

Don't get me wrong, not as bad as a Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson contract, and George is better than those players, but still a little over paid.

i think 5 years 75 mill would of been about right.

ALBballer
09-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Too much.

secund2nun
09-23-2013, 12:21 AM
5/75 would still be outrageous. What potential does he have?

He is a very good role player- that's all.

SamuraiSWISH
09-23-2013, 12:42 AM
He has the potential to be a franchise type player
:facepalm

Smoke117
09-23-2013, 02:20 AM
It's not that bad of a deal as he still has a great deal of potential. He's already a stellar defensive and all around player. He just needs to get up to the 20-22ppg area on better efficiency. He doesn't need to look to be a 25+pt guy. He does so much defensively that if you can just get 20-22ppg out of him on decent or above efficiency than he'll be worth the contract.

It doesn't help the fact that George Hill dribbles away half the clock or so doing nothing at the top of the key and then passes it to PG who is forced to take a tough shot. The Pacers really need a real point guard who can run an offense competently.

SpurrDurr
09-23-2013, 02:53 AM
There are way worse contracts in the league, this kid during last POs held his own against the best player in the planet and he's only 23. It can get only better for Indiana from now on.

This means that Granger will need to find a new team next season, no way they can afford him, George, Hibbert and West.
He won't be missed anyways since Stephenson had a really solid season last year.

comerb
09-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Too much money for a player of his caliber, but it's not like Indiana has any other choice.

roffie
09-23-2013, 04:02 AM
lets hope he lives up to the hype

El Kabong
09-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Not thrilled with it, but I guess they figured it's what they had to offer to keep him. Granger's contract is done next year anyway, so the Pacers are no worse off really, he'll just jump up into that cap space Granger was taking, so they'll still be a near tax team, but should be able to stay under it.

KNOW1EDGE
09-23-2013, 04:20 AM
That's what small market teams have to do if they want to retain their guys when free-agency hits. Good for them. They overpaid a little bit, but every team over-pays when they resign a budding superstar who hasn't reached his peak/prime

Indiana has a very solid young core with PG and Hibbert. They can resign David West if they choose. They can trade Granger. Or they can keep everybody. They are in a very good position.

QuebecBaller
09-23-2013, 04:45 AM
He has the potential to be a franchise type player.

The Pacers better hope he doesn't become Danny Granger 2.0. Granger had the potential to be a franchise player, but... You know the story

DuMa
09-23-2013, 04:46 AM
even though they had to do it to keep him there. they pretty much had their hands tied on this one. it was a no brainer to keep him there for now but at the max? phew. man. i understand why every team feel like they have to put the franchise tag on certain players but i also understand that there arent 30 franchise players in the league. theres only a handful of players that you can really put the franchise max label on. and Paul George isnt one of them.

El Kabong
09-23-2013, 04:56 AM
That's what small market teams have to do if they want to retain their guys when free-agency hits. Good for them. They overpaid a little bit, but every team over-pays when they resign a budding superstar who hasn't reached his peak/prime

Indiana has a very solid young core with PG and Hibbert. They can resign David West if they choose. They can trade Granger. Or they can keep everybody. They are in a very good position.
This is what i'm worried about with Hayward and Favors coming into FA next year for the Jazz. I'd hate to pay either one the max at this stage.

KNOW1EDGE
09-23-2013, 05:14 AM
This is what i'm worried about with Hayward and Favors coming into FA next year for the Jazz. I'd hate to pay either one the max at this stage.

Neither are worth even a near max contract.

But both are solid players who if offered decent money to stay in Utah would rather take the same dollar amount to play in Miami, NY, LA etc

Only way small market teams retain their talent is if they overpay.

TheReturn
09-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Favors might be expensive, but I doubt Hayward will be.

El Kabong
09-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Neither are worth even a near max contract.

But both are solid players who if offered decent money to stay in Utah would rather take the same dollar amount to play in Miami, NY, LA etc

I'm not worried about Hayward leaving, but there's always some crazy team who overpay for a bigman like Favors. I think he's probably worth the same that someone like Larry Sanders just got, but no more.

Mass Debator
09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
He has 18 million dollar potential but he's not worth that much to me. Rudy Gay got paid though so why not I guess. He should've been around Gay's mark of 5 years 80-82 mil because I honestly thought Rudy was the better player at the time he got his extension.

Fiasco
09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe he can buy a jump shot with that money.

mentallooser
09-23-2013, 11:39 AM
The Pacers better hope he doesn't become Danny Granger 2.0. Granger had the potential to be a franchise player, but... You know the story

Absolutely. I'm not arguing that he IS going to be a franchise player. I honestly don't think he will. But he is dynamic on defense, incredibly athletic, his shot is really coming together and he can blow past anyone in the league when he goes for it. It is a question is mindset and the system. The Pacers are not built for superstar players right now. It is a bunch of very good players who put out impressive effort and spread the scoring around to hurt you from anywhere on any given night. George showed flashes of that superstar potential against the Heat in making big plays when it matters most.

What he lacks is that instinct to put the game in his hands and use the talent he has. Same thing that Granger lacks as he has turned into a glorified jump shooter for the most part. It might be their mindsets, or it really might be the Pacers philosophy that keeps them from playing that way.

HurricaneKid
09-23-2013, 11:52 AM

See this just isn't the case. George wasn't going anywhere. He COULDN'T go anywhere. No one could give him more than 4/60 and the Pacers could match that. So they had 100% of the leverage. If he continued his development they could have waited until the end of the year and given him this as a reward for advancement. It was just premature. Just like John Wall. I just don't see the benefit to doing it now.

irondarts
09-23-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't think those guys get maxed out, if anything they will get a Larry Sanders type of deal.

pegasus
09-23-2013, 01:04 PM
See this just isn't the case. George wasn't going anywhere. He COULDN'T go anywhere. No one could give him more than 4/60 and the Pacers could match that. So they had 100% of the leverage. If he continued his development they could have waited until the end of the year and given him this as a reward for advancement. It was just premature. Just like John Wall. I just don't see the benefit to doing it now.
To keep him happy and focused. Potential + work ethic = $$$

Dro
09-23-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/satisfaction.gif
This :cheers:

InspiredLebowski
09-23-2013, 01:05 PM
See this just isn't the case. George wasn't going anywhere. He COULDN'T go anywhere. No one could give him more than 4/60 and the Pacers could match that. So they had 100% of the leverage. If he continued his development they could have waited until the end of the year and given him this as a reward for advancement. It was just premature. Just like John Wall. I just don't see the benefit to doing it now.an extra year. lack of a potential player option. a number of things. players on rookie deals have more leverage than you think. not to leave immediately, but sooner potentially (not that George wants to). and the money they'd have to re-sign him at after 4 years, as an unrestricted free agent, would be even bigger, so put that off for an extra year. the cap's going to keep going up, max contracts are going to keep going up, until the league wises up and abolishes the entire concept.

Dro
09-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Um, no...No he did not. And I can tell a few people in this thread have barely watched the Pacers play, other than the playoffs...But thats no surprise, like Hibbert said, "Y

Dro
09-23-2013, 01:52 PM
It's not that bad of a deal as he still has a great deal of potential. He's already a stellar defensive and all around player. He just needs to get up to the 20-22ppg area on better efficiency. He doesn't need to look to be a 25+pt guy. He does so much defensively that if you can just get 20-22ppg out of him on decent or above efficiency than he'll be worth the contract.

It doesn't help the fact that George Hill dribbles away half the clock or so doing nothing at the top of the key and then passes it to PG who is forced to take a tough shot. The Pacers really need a real point guard who can run an offense competently.
I agree with you. Its either pay him or let him go to LA, NY, or somewhere else like all the other small market teams who end up losing their best players...

sc19
09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Too much expectations now. Bust incoming.

I<3NBA
09-23-2013, 02:23 PM
To keep him happy and focused. Potential + work ethic = $$$
that's just stupid. over paying him now won't keep him focused but will make him lazy. once you remove the incentive to work hard (money), only a small percentage of athletes truly work hard at it. i don't think PG is that kind of player. he's had his payday, and he'll laugh his way to the bank.

HurricaneKid
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM
an extra year. lack of a potential player option. a number of things. players on rookie deals have more leverage than you think. not to leave immediately, but sooner potentially (not that George wants to). and the money they'd have to re-sign him at after 4 years, as an unrestricted free agent, would be even bigger, so put that off for an extra year. the cap's going to keep going up, max contracts are going to keep going up, until the league wises up and abolishes the entire concept.

The player will always take the 5th year. And no one else can offer it outside of the Pacers.

They don't have to give a PO.

They have ZERO leverage. If the team will match any contract they cannot possibly leave in less than 6 years and almost certainly 7 or 8.

pegasus
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
that's just stupid. over paying him now won't keep him focused but will make him lazy. once you remove the incentive to work hard (money), only a small percentage of athletes truly work hard at it. i don't think PG is that kind of player. he's had his payday, and he'll laugh his way to the bank.
He is that kind of player. His idol is Kobe, and last year he said that he started to copy his workout regimen, which consists of taking like 300-400 shots before every game.

I'm sure he put in a lot of work this summer, and the management must have seen it. Plus, I wouldn't doubt anything Bird does.

InspiredLebowski
09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
The player will always take the 5th year. And no one else can offer it outside of the Pacers.

They don't have to give a PO.

They have ZERO leverage. If the team will match any contract they cannot possibly leave in less than 6 years and almost certainly 7 or 8.Your scenario had him hitting restricted free agency. Which already means a year less of team control, potentially up to 2 (the last year of Hibbert's extension is a player option). He signs a 4 year max we match that's 5 years of control compared to 6. We match one with a player option, like Hibbert's, that's 4 years. If you let him hit restricted free agency you're giving up team control for a minimum of a year, potentially two.

longtime lurker
09-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I honestly don't know why teams don't wait before extending players. And don't give me this small market bs. They just bid against themselves. That being said George proved himslef in the playoffs and has 20+ points potential with elite defensive potential. If the Pacers move him to SG he could be the best at the position this season. Its not like a John Wall situation where they paid a boatload of money to someone who hadn't proved anything.

MiseryCityTexas
09-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I honestly don't know why teams don't wait before extending players. And don't give me this small market bs. They just bid against themselves. That being said George proved himslef in the playoffs and has 20+ points potential with elite defensive potential. If the Pacers move him to SG he could be the best at the position this season. Its not like a John Wall situation where they paid a boatload of money to someone who hadn't proved anything.

Well the Wizards did finally start winning games when Wall finally came back from his injury this past season, but it was pretty much too late for a Wizards play-off run. You right though, they did overpay for wall when they only had his rookie season, two seasons ago before he got hurt, and last season coming back from injury towards the end of the season to fall back on. Wall shoulda paid more dues before he got the max.

HurricaneKid
09-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Your scenario had him hitting restricted free agency. Which already means a year less of team control, potentially up to 2 (the last year of Hibbert's extension is a player option). He signs a 4 year max we match that's 5 years of control compared to 6. We match one with a player option, like Hibbert's, that's 4 years. If you let him hit restricted free agency you're giving up team control for a minimum of a year, potentially two.

He hits RFA after this year. At which time Indiana could simply give him the 5 year franchise offer if he continued his marked improvement. If he takes a step backwards of has a severe injury they just give him the 4 year max at 4/58MM. They lose one year of control but its at a net cost of 32MM. Which isn't the end of the world.

I have no idea why teams give players options after 3 years. There is simply no reason to. Even if another team signs them for the max they just match and there is no option.

midatlantic09
09-23-2013, 05:53 PM
This is going to end up being a terrible contract. Dude's going to end up making $18 million a yr for 19/8/4 in 36 mpg.

Basically another Rudy Gay type situation.

midatlantic09
09-23-2013, 05:57 PM
He hits RFA after this year. At which time Indiana could simply give him the 5 year franchise offer if he continued his marked improvement. If he takes a step backwards of has a severe injury they just give him the 4 year max at 4/58MM. They lose one year of control but its at a net cost of 32MM. Which isn't the end of the world.

I have no idea why teams give players options after 3 years. There is simply no reason to. Even if another team signs them for the max they just match and there is no option.

You must be a finance/banking guy. They're the only one's i see writing mm when referencing millions.

Nash
09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Some big money going out to Hibbert, Granger, George and West.

Crown&Coke
09-23-2013, 07:34 PM
the entire Pacers front office saw this deal coming.

Both sides are saying a deal is not signed and delivered yet. I bet they are haggling on Indy trying to get some incentives in there to push that towards the max, and George's agent is trying to get those guaranteed. Both sides doing what needs to be done.

Anyone don't think he's worth the money? Go as any team with cap space next year what type of deal they would offer this dude. I'm guessing it starts with max.

andremiller07
09-23-2013, 07:41 PM
The first thing I look at when someone get's a massive deal is

Does the players game translate to the playoffs and can he help you win in the playoffs?

The answer for George is yes to both on top of that he's been injury free and does a large amount of things very well on the court. A few million to many maybe but end of the day you want players who can perform in he playoffs or have a game that's able to do potentially well in the playoffs.

My problem with max/big deals is when teams sign a player who is decent only during the regular season and you know their game will never translate to the playoffs, that's when overpaying becomes a issue otherwise it's not much of an issue.

Dro
09-23-2013, 07:42 PM
This is going to end up being a terrible contract. Dude's going to end up making $18 million a yr for 19/8/4 in 36 mpg.

Basically another Rudy Gay type situation.
I guess defense doesn't matter anymore...:confusedshrug:

The JKidd Kid
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
I guess defense doesn't matter anymore...:confusedshrug:

Seriously, people are acting like he can't lock down positions 1-4.

Graviton
09-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Seriously, people are acting like he can't lock down positions 1-4.
He can't lockdown Lebron so it's irrelevant for their playoff hopes. It's not like he is Jimmy Butler with Thibs and Noah. And if he is wasting his energy locking people down then his offense suffers, not that it's amazing either in the 1st place.

The Pacers are just overpaying for ok/almost star level players, hoping they knock off Miami. But neither Hibbert nor George are going to put them over the top. Both lack the offensive skill and coaching needed to become superstars. Their offense is painful to watch, nobody on that roster can create for himself or others.

alenleomessi
09-23-2013, 08:06 PM
take away his disaster game 7, he played lebron as good as anyone in the last couple of years.

good job by the pacers

CanYouDigIt
09-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Pacers need to be focused on getting a real starting Point Guard now. Seeing that they are spending so much money to keep their core, drafting and trading are the only options. Indy better start scouting in Europe and pull off a San Antonio Spur and get their own TP or Manu.

G-train
09-23-2013, 10:49 PM
I doubt the deal will be 90m. We will see.

IncarceratedBob
09-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Overpaid. George is a 12-13 a year type of player, he won't ever lead a team a ring(Which might not be a big deal in Indiana), he won't ever be a superstar due to his bland personality, he'll likely be just another 20 ppg scorer on a lottery team in 2-3 years

el gringos
09-24-2013, 02:39 AM
Pacers need to be focused on getting a real starting Point Guard now. Seeing that they are spending so much money to keep their core, drafting and trading are the only options. Indy better start scouting in Europe and pull off a San Antonio Spur and get their own TP or Manu.
Pacers get Eric Gordon

Pelicans get Evan turner, Thad young, Tyson chandler, ray Felton

Sixers get amare, mahimi, Austin rivers, hardaway jr, 13 million in cash from ny, picks

Knicks get hawes, g hill, Anderson, smith, wroten

That's right- Gordon as a similar style pg as hill- but way better at discount value

el gringos
09-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Put Eric Gordon with George, Stevenson, and granger when they have 3 like hibbert, west, and Scola that's the best 7 man rotation in the nba. They could possibly win 4 out of 7 against the heat one of these next 3 years.

Knicks win too big is what you'll all prob say

Shumpert/hill
Jr smith
Carmelo/mwp
Bargnani/Ryan Anderson
Hawes

They win it all this year

el gringos
09-24-2013, 03:04 AM
If you're going to trade away your lottery pick you might as well make the playoffs

Jrue/Felton
Tyreke/Evan turner
Young/fariq- Aminu
Davis
Tyson chandler/kwame

5-6 seed