PDA

View Full Version : MJ disses Kobe and LeBron in the same breath

fpliii
10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9753017

"I don't think I would lose," Jordan says in the video, before smiling and adding, "other than to Kobe Bryant, because he steals all of my moves."

SilkkTheShocker
10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Jordan doesn't like LeBron. Never has.

FiveRings
10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
:applause:

I would call that a compliment and not a diss to Kobe though.

10-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Hardly a diss. Kobe's a thief, it's true lol. I remember just one game after the Mavericks game, he stole some Dirk's moves as well.

sportjames23
10-01-2013, 11:31 AM
And this is why he's the GOAT.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Trollsmasher
10-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Hardly a diss. Kobe's a thief, it's true lol. I remember just one game after the Mavericks game, he stole some Dirk's moves as well.
Kobe even stole the stealing ability from the aliens in Space Jam. And even then he couldn't copy it the right way, because the player he steals from keep their skills.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Jordan stays sonning Bean. :oldlol:

SilkkTheShocker
10-01-2013, 11:35 AM
And this is why he's the GOAT.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

GOAT at being up on 6'3 shooting guards and expansion teams :applause:

sportjames23
10-01-2013, 11:42 AM

This ***** is moist.

Least MJ ain't get abused by Boris. Diaw.

Let me say that again--Boris. Diaw.

SilkkTheShocker
10-01-2013, 11:45 AM
This ***** is moist.

Least MJ ain't get abused by Boris. Diaw.

Let me say that again--Boris. Diaw.

2013 NBA Finals MVP.

But than again, im arguing with someone that said Charles Barkley was better than LeBron James. You're obviously not too bright, son.

7_cody
10-01-2013, 11:46 AM
lol, that was a great answer by the GOAT

Copying is what everyone does, but who can do it the best? Being able to copy any move from a variety of players in order to build a complete skill set is incredible IMO

Vertical-24
10-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Jordan doesn't like LeBron. Never has.

Yup. I always had a feeling about that too. Guys like Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson tend to gravitate more towards LBJ than Kobe. Probably because they all share similar playing styles and approaches to the game. That's the exact reason MJ took to Kobe. They both approach the game in nearly identical ways.

Vertical-24
10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
2013 NBA Finals MVP.

But than again, im arguing with someone that said Charles Barkley was better than LeBron James. You're obviously not too bright, son.

Not even worth the argument dude.

Kill them with success.

Trollsmasher
10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Don't forget that he has a losing record:lol against those without Scottie Pippen

7_cody
10-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Whoa, are there really a couple posters in this thread that think MJ faced weak competition and that LeBron > MJ?

LeBron... better than MJ?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

KingLeBronJames
10-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Jordan stays sonning Bean. :oldlol:
Where's the diss? Hardly even a diss. MJ never liked LeBron and he also admitted before that he stole moves from Dr. J. LeBron would be MJ in his prime. That is the truth.

SilkkTheShocker
10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Yup. I always had a feeling about that too. Guys like Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson tend to gravitate more towards LBJ than Kobe. Probably because they all share similar playing styles and approaches to the game. That's the exact reason MJ took to Kobe. They both approach the game in nearly identical ways.

Agreed. Jordan has always had something against him. Rick Barry also doesn't like him either.

Vertical-24
10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Whoa, are there really a couple posters in this thread that think MJ faced weak competition and that LeBron > MJ?

MJ is the greatest player of all time. I just think some posters get irritated with the constant belittling that a lot of guys force on LeBron.

TheWINdyCity
10-01-2013, 12:22 PM

you're taking shocker seriously? :oldlol:

GOBB
10-01-2013, 12:26 PM
He praised Lebron James skills. :confusedshrug:

The interview was light hearted #1 (Ahmad Rashad). MJ is a competitor who hates to lose. This has been known when Kobe was in HS. Why in 2013 is it a problem because he says no one can beat him 1 on 1 in his prime? And he gave Bron praise for his skills. you Bron fanboys are weirdos.

Rose'sACL
10-01-2013, 12:35 PM
For someone who is called the GOAT, he is trying extremely hard to stay in the spotlight.

SamuraiSWISH
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
MJ's story about sonning OJ Mayo at his camp for talking shit was hilarious. Put the kids to bed, then gave him work.

And he's right, he'd take all those players individually, and Kobe would win a few because he's basically patterned himself to be Jordan's clone. Pretty much what I expected from Jordan. And he's right, Kobe did copy all his moves.

This isn't to say LeBron isn't the best basketball player of that bunch besides Jordan, because he is, so LeBron stans get your undies out of a knot.

But Kobe's the 2nd greatest individual player next to Jordan. MJ just fit his talents into the team structure much better.

For someone who is called the GOAT, he is trying extremely hard to stay in the spotlight.
NBA 2k interviewed him and merely asked him his thoughts on various basketball related subjects. Are you being serious right now? He didn't call a press conference.

:oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
How was that even a diss?

He said: I would like to play West, Baylor, Kobe, Lebron, Wade and Melo and I don't think i'd lose.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't think he'd lose either.

RoundMoundOfReb
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Lol all he did was respond to a question asked to him.

OldSchoolBBall
10-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Interesting story about him schooling OJ Mayo when he was in high school there. How old was MJ when Mayo was in HS? I don't doubt at all what MJ said about how he was doing whatever he wanted to him after he mouthed off.

SamuraiSWISH
10-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Interesting story about him schooling OJ Mayo when he was in high school there. How old was MJ when Mayo was in HS? I don't doubt at all what MJ said about how he was doing whatever he wanted to him after he mouthed off.
It sounded like MJ was genuinely offended too. Like why would you go mouthing off @ a legend's basketball camp? You're there for a reason, his name is on the banner's camp sign.

OJ Mayo, especially in HS, struck me as the type of douche who would do something like this too. Now look where he is ... haha

Not even Kobe mouthed off in HS like this about Jordan. He saught his tutelage his first couple years in the league. And it wasn't until MJ was well retired, and Kobe had made a legit name for himself in the NBA around 2000 or 2001 that he said he could take Mike.

I didn't know that MJ was schooling their recent 1st round draft pick, either. That was news to me.

TheMilkyBarKid
10-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Mj knows kobe has no shot at catching while lebron does (although it may be a very small shot). No surprise in him paying kobe more respect in that regard.

CavaliersFTW
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I've got footage of Kobe stating he wishes he could play Jerry West 1 on 1 too. b-b-but I thought Jerry West was some unskilled unathletic 6-2 white boy from the 50's who couldn't dribble with his left hand? Why on earth would a player of MJ or Kobe's caliber care about playing him 1 on 1? :confusedshrug:

...And Baylor vs MJ would be :bowdown:

ripthekik
10-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Michael Jordan believes he could have beaten LeBron James in a game of one-on-one when he was in his prime.

He's not sure about Kobe Bryant.
Wow. The thread title is absolutely wrong. MJ disses Lebron and gives props to Kobe (in a humorous way, but it's still respect.)

fpliii
10-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Wow. The thread title is absolutely wrong. MJ disses Lebron and gives props to Kobe (in a humorous way, but it's still respect.)

I'm just trolling a bit. :cheers:

jstern
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
On the video it sounded a little like a compliment to Kobe.

And what's with the title, Jordan gave a whole list that spanned all time great players from the 60s to now, and in that list he happened to mention Kobe Bryant and Lebron James. Players who he would love to play against one on one. How is that a diss?

I always felt the opposite. He has the power to constantly be on tv, but he doesn't seem to want that extra attention that he got when playing, where he could not step outside.

VIntageNOvel
10-01-2013, 02:38 PM
lebron > MJ
reason: lebron is a better game 7 final performer :roll: :roll:

jlip
10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
I've got footage of Kobe stating he wishes he could play Jerry West 1 on 1 too. b-b-but I thought Jerry West was some unskilled unathletic 6-2 white boy from the 50's who couldn't dribble with his left hand? Why on earth would a player of MJ or Kobe's caliber care about playing him 1 on 1? :confusedshrug:

...And Baylor vs MJ would be :bowdown:

This

G-Funk
10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
MJ's story about sonning OJ Mayo at his camp for talking shit was hilarious. Put the kids to bed, then gave him work.

And he's right, he'd take all those players individually, and Kobe would win a few because he's basically patterned himself to be Jordan's clone. Pretty much what I expected from Jordan. And he's right, Kobe did copy all his moves.

This isn't to say LeBron isn't the best basketball player of that bunch besides Jordan, because he is, so LeBron stans get your undies out of a knot.

But Kobe's the 2nd greatest individual player next to Jordan. MJ just fit his talents into the team structure much better.

NBA 2k interviewed him and merely asked him his thoughts on various basketball related subjects. Are you being serious right now? He didn't call a press conference.

:applause:

ProfessorMurder
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Why are you guys acting like he said he'd lose to Kobe? There was a clear edit point between the "I don't think I lose" and the Kobe comment. You don't know how out of context that was.

lilojmayo
10-01-2013, 04:16 PM

http://www.cincinnati.com/preps/2004/03/02/mayo0302.jpg

Shame on Juice , for not respecting his elders as a youngster

plowking
10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
How was that even a diss?

He said: I would like to play West, Baylor, Kobe, Lebron, Wade and Melo and I don't think i'd lose.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't think he'd lose either.

He'd lose to Baylor, Melo and Bron.

Heavincent
10-01-2013, 07:13 PM
He'd lose to Baylor, Melo and Bron.

PickernRoller
10-02-2013, 12:47 AM
GOAT stating the obvious....

A certain fanbase having a hard time handling the truth as always...:lol :roll:

In unrelated news: Lebron just beat MJ on NBA 2k13, Mano-a-Mano.

longtime lurker
10-02-2013, 12:54 AM
MJ's definitely insecure, but you gotta love the fact that even at 50 he's not conceding anything. And the comment about Kobe is a back handed compliment, he admits Kobe would beat him but only because he patterned himself after the best :oldlol: I could picture him saying it with a smile too. Really awesome

talkingconch
10-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Here is the summary of whats happening in this thread:

OP believes Jordan dissed Kobe

Lebron stans having hard time handling truth and say Jordan does not like Lebron

One Lebron stan went as far as to say Jordan was GOAT beating up on 6'3 shooting guards and expansion teams, even though they want Lebron to be like MJ or better (This is the biggest double standard seen in history of ISH now)

Eric Cartman
10-02-2013, 01:27 AM
It is not difficult for Jordan to complement Kobe. He is basically an inferior model of his airness.

Lebron on the other hand is a whole another beast with 2 titles already and a ridiculously stacked team backing him up.

alleykat
10-02-2013, 01:32 AM
True, he could beat Lebron 1 on 1...lots of people can..
And lol at u guys thinking copying is a good thing...
Good thing for MJ, terrible for Kobe...

You can tell the difference between bootlegs and the real thing. Quality just isn't there...

nashwade
10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
i think Allen Iverson can probably beat Lebron 1-on-1

we talking about 1-on-1?

Hizack
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Kobe stealing Dirk's one legged fade away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESEuRZtXhAE)

Kobe's stealing Hakeem's Dream Shake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16ij3Fbqc4)

Kobe stealing Dr J's Baseline move (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStS3_MLMkE)

Kobe stealing Kareem's sky hook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL7FMfSBapY)
again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOd4rIy9x-c#t=8s)
and again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0YI6uMq7Y)

and not to mention those things Kobe stealing from Michael Jordan.

BoutPractice
10-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Jordan feels less threatened by Kobe than by LeBron... Kobe is past his prime, so he knows there's no chance he eventually catches up to him. His career has mostly been written, and we know the script: one of the greatest scorers of all time, 5 time NBA champion, and the most convincing imitation of MJ we've ever seen. MJ can live with that... what he can't live with is the new media and their eagerness for publicity trying to promote LeBron as the GOAT or future GOAT (for the record, I don't think he is) with their 'bigger, faster, stronger, more complete' narrative. The more titles LeBron wins, the more we're going to hear about the fact that he can "defend positions 1 through 5"... areas where Jordan can't compete, because the story will have been rewritten so that LeBron, and not Jordan, is the standard. (Sort of like the Russell standard that had more to do with defense and team play was replaced when great offensive players started winning titles).

SamuraiSWISH
10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Jordan feels less threatened by Kobe than by LeBron... Kobe is past his prime, so he knows there's no chance he eventually catches up to him. His career has mostly been written, and we know the script: one of the greatest scorers of all time, 5 time NBA champion, and the most convincing imitation of MJ we've ever seen. MJ can live with that... what he can't live with is the new media and their eagerness for publicity trying to promote LeBron as the GOAT or future GOAT (for the record, I don't think he is) with their 'bigger, faster, stronger, more complete' narrative. The more titles LeBron wins, the more we're going to hear about the fact that he can "defend positions 1 through 5"... areas where Jordan can't compete, because the story will have been rewritten so that LeBron, and not Jordan, is the standard. (Sort of like the Russell standard that had more to do with defense and team play was replaced when great offensive players started winning titles).
I'm sure knowing Jordan's competitive nature, that is surely apart of it. Spot on actually. There is no denying it. LeBron's hype and potential resume surely is a potential threat to Jordan's overall legacy.

Jordan isn't threatened by Kobe, nor has he ever been. Even at the height of his popularity and success he's always been viewed by the knowledgeable as a lesser Jordan. So even by propping Kobe up in the current era, he's essentially giving himself props. Such as with the comment that he might lose a few games to Kobe.

LeBron is a completely different mold of a player, so there is an actual fresh perspective on the type of player he has become or where his legacy on the game might end up.

The articles before the all-star break about how MJ studies tape of LeBron, and how he would defend him. Almost obsessively. And then what do you know ...

MJ's biggest fan, imitator and apprentice (Kobe) goes out and applies MJ's exact LeBron defense technique in ISO situations during the ASG shutting down LeBron. Embarrassing him in the process.

But part of it is actual critical analysis of LeBron's game. He's very good one on one, but he is not on Kobe's level let alone Jordan. Who combines the skill package of Kobe, with the athleticism of a Wade or VC.

I do think LeBron is inferior to both Kobe and Jordan in one on one type basketball. I think that should be obvious to anyone who watches the game. He's even inferior to Melo or Durant in that regard.

BTW, you've definitely revealed yourself in recent months to be a not so closet LeBron stan.