PDA

View Full Version : Kobe responds to Jordan...

G-Funk
10-01-2013, 07:44 PM
''Domino effect. I stole some of his..this generation stole some of mine''

http://lakerholicz.com/kobe-on-jordan-i-stole-his-moves-this-generation-stole-mine/2013/10/01

TheGreatDeraj
10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I never understood why people always tried to use it against Kobe that he took some of MJ's moves.

First off, that makes it sound like MJ invented everything he did.

Secondly, I guess we would all rather be watching 1950's basketball since no one should steal anyones moves.

Jump shots? no thanks set shots only.

Freethrows? underhand ALL DAY.

crossover? what's that?

dunk? huh?!?!

Thirdly, I would rather see EVERYONE steal from Jordan, Kobe, Kareem, Hakeem etc. Imagine how much more fun it would be if Lebron, Durant, Howard etc had stole MJs or Hakeems moves.

Bandito
10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Is not really stealing. You copy the moves of the master and try to emulate it and sometimes you give it your own twist. Same concept for martial arts, you just emulate what the master is teaching you.

Anfernee
10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
There is a difference between copying moves and mimicking a player's entire game. That's what Kobe has done with Jordan. He's just a not as good, but good version of the original.

gts
10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I never understood why people always tried to use it against Kobe that he took some of MJ's moves.

First off, that makes it sound like MJ invented everything he did.

Secondly, I guess we would all rather be watching 1950's basketball since no one should steal anyones moves.

Jump shots? no thanks set shots only.

Freethrows? underhand ALL DAY.

crossover? what's that?

dunk? huh?!?!

Thirdly, I would rather see EVERYONE steal from Jordan, Kobe, Kareem, Hakeem etc. Imagine how much more fun it would be if Lebron, Durant, Howard etc had stole MJs or Hakeems moves.

It is funny how people hold that against players, more so since Jordan credits several players before him that he copied from.

Lakers2877
10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Ive always found it funny how people get pissed that Kobe has modeled and tried to be too much like Jordan. Like trying to like the best ever is such a bad thing. I get why people dont like Kobe but some of the reasons are really silly

ispin69
10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
He wasn't a good imitator in terms of chucking from 3 feet behind the 3pt line :lol MOST MISSED FIELD GOALS IN NBA HISTORY. Even MJ was more efficient than that.

What he did imitate was the tongue wagging, the biting the jersey, the jump fist pumping. It's pretty sad he's not creative his own identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g7sfHuPMjg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/kobe.bryant.michael.jordan/images/BITE-JERSEY.jpg
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Kobe-Jordan.jpg
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4necxFeum1qc9n6mo1_500.jpg

KingLeBronJames
10-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Everybody still moves from a past great player. Jordan himself even said he got moves from Dr. J.

tpols
10-01-2013, 09:50 PM
He wasn't a good imitator in terms of chucking from 3 feet behind the 3pt line :lol MOST MISSED FIELD GOALS IN NBA HISTORY. Even MJ was more efficient than that.

What he did imitate was the tongue wagging, the biting the jersey, the jump fist pumping. It's pretty sad he's not creative his own identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g7sfHuPMjg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/kobe.bryant.michael.jordan/images/BITE-JERSEY.jpg
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Kobe-Jordan.jpg
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4necxFeum1qc9n6mo1_500.jpg
Ive seen a million players bite their jersey.. in the second pic its copying MJ because he has a fvcking goatee..:facepalm and the third is just a simple post up.

You read waaaay too much into this shit.

Levity
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
seems about right

i wonder who this generation of kids/teens will try to emulate their game after. I cant see many kids shaping their game after lebrons, unless of course their some monster of an athlete and huge as fvck. so maybe irving? but id hate to start going to gyms and just see everyone over dribbling around the perimeter (more uncle drew and kyrie)

kNicKz
10-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I don't think people realize how long Kobe has been in the NBA. He played against Jordan, Reggie Miller, and other 90's names for quite a few years. The fact that he is being compared to players like Lebron and Durant at 35 is insane :eek:

La Frescobaldi
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't think people realize how long Kobe has been in the NBA. He played against Jordan, Reggie Miller, and other 90's names for quite a few years. The fact that he is being compared to players like Lebron and Durant at 35 is insane :eek:
That dude has been phenomenal.

Not too many of the all-time greats have been dealt such a crummy hand by his team - especially from a storied team like LA.
KB has seen some really pathetic moves from the Lakers organization. That might be what impresses me the most about that man.... regardless of the boneheaded play from the front office, Kobe has brought it every freaking night

NewYorkNoPicks
10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Ive seen a million players bite their jersey.. in the second pic its copying MJ because he has a fvcking goatee..:facepalm and the third is just a simple post up.

You read waaaay too much into this shit.

The last pic is indeed something Kobe specifically asked MJ about. I dont remember if it was revealed in an interview after the Bulls and Kobes Lakers first met or in a newspaper article, but Kobe said he asked MJ about leaning back in the post and MJ told him it was to gauge the distance between you and your post defender. So yes Kobe did learn and copy that move

tpols
10-01-2013, 10:11 PM
The last pic is indeed something Kobe specifically asked MJ about. I dont remember if it was revealed in an interview after the Bulls and Kobes Lakers first met or in a newspaper article, but Kobe said he asked MJ about leaning back in the post and MJ told him it was to gauge the distance between you and your post defender. So yes Kobe did learn and copy that move
MJ didnt invent that.. Maybe Kobe picked it up from watching his tape.. but I have done that on the court before, just intuitively, especially if a defender tries leaning on you with his forearm.

Idk.. shits just a stretch.

jstern
10-01-2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/84498f7c.gif

I think Kobe stole more than some. And we're not even talking about mannerisms and personality.

What's also awesome is that he has played against players from the 70s. Robert Parish for example, came into the league in 1976.

branslowski
10-01-2013, 10:16 PM
MJ didnt invent that.. Maybe Kobe picked it up from watching his tape.. but I have done that on the court before, just intuitively, especially if a defender tries leaning on you with his forearm.

Idk.. shits just a stretch.

Jordan= only player to rock goatee, post up, and bite Jersey, u ain't know?:oldlol:

zoom17
10-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Cant wait till Kobe retires in a few years the league will became a little more less selfish.

TheMarkMadsen
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Kobes said he learned alot from Elgin Baylor aswell

branslowski
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Cant wait till Kobe retires in a few years the league will became a little more less selfish.

And your post count will drop.

Bandito
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Kobe image inspires everyone on the league. He's more of an icon than Lebron.

zoom17
10-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Kobe image inspires everyone on the league. He's more of an icon than Lebron.

:oldlol: That some corny shit

riseagainst
10-02-2013, 09:43 AM
people don't know the difference between copying and emulating.

Hoopz2332
10-02-2013, 09:57 AM
KObe took imitation to levels never seen:oldlol: Dude doesn't know anything about originality.

Jlamb47
10-02-2013, 10:14 AM
wow yal literally find every reason to hate on kobe
like a million hoopers dont bite there jersy -_-
yal are so immature its not even funny
Kobe did take moves who dosnt?
so if Jordan dribbles twice between his legs no one can do it?
yal are corny and stup1d

NumberSix
10-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Who stole anything from Kobe? :confusedshrug:

I<3NBA
10-02-2013, 10:30 AM
so what did this generation steal from Kobe? seeing as he never made something original? :lol

SamuraiSWISH
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
It goes beyond aping MJ's moves. It's trying to ape his mannerisms, swagger, gum chewing, fist pumping, interview cadence, manipulating and copying of exact MJ moments, etc.

Kobe took imitation to a borderline creepy level, especially earlier in his career.. Imitation though is a major form if not the biggest form of flattery.

But I think that's what Jordan's getting at without exactly saying it. He's a lesser clone of him. So he'd have to admit he'd lose to Kobe sometimes. And Kobe didn't use MJ's moves as inspiration, he directly copied them. There is a difference.

So if anyone of this generation is using Kobe's moves, it is actually Jordan they are copying. But to what Kobe said, who on earth is copying his moves? I haven't seen anyone.

You can't say someone is copying Kobe, because Kobe is a copy of Jordan. He's not the original.

Hoopz2332
10-02-2013, 01:24 PM
It goes beyond aping MJ's moves. It's trying to ape his mannerisms, swagger, gum chewing, fist pumping, interview cadence, manipulating and copying of exact MJ moments, etc.

Kobe took imitation to a borderline creepy level, especially earlier in his career.. Imitation though is a major form if not the biggest form of flattery.

But I think that's what Jordan's getting at without exactly saying it. He's a lesser clone of him. So he'd have to admit he'd lose to Kobe sometimes. And Kobe didn't use MJ's moves as inspiration, he directly copied them. There is a difference.

So if anyone of this generation is using Kobe's moves, it is actually Jordan they are copying. But to what Kobe said, who on earth is copying his moves? I haven't seen anyone.

You can't say someone is copying Kobe, because Kobe is a copy of Jordan. He's not the original.

:applause:

guy
10-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Jordan was joking. Not that its not true, but that he really sees a problem with it. Cause he wouldn't believe that he thought Kobe could beat him.

The copycatting is overblown as far as his on court play goes. Who cares about that? Its not a bad thing to copy the GOAT when you're basically his exact same body type. The weird shit was everything else. In his first few years, it was almost like he tried to talk like Jordan and numerous people pointed that out in the media. And certain mannerisms are just weird. I remember the 2009 Finals when they won it all, and at the buzzer he did the whole jumping up and down and swinging fists thing that Jordan always did out of nowhere. The game was a blowout and it felt like he was waiting to do that the whole time. It was odd.

7_cody
10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Jordan was joking. Not that its not true, but that he really sees a problem with it. Cause he wouldn't believe that he thought Kobe could beat him.

The copycatting is overblown as far as his on court play goes. Who cares about that? Its not a bad thing to copy the GOAT when you're basically his exact same body type. The weird shit was everything else. In his first few years, it was almost like he tried to talk like Jordan and numerous people pointed that out in the media. And certain mannerisms are just weird. I remember the 2009 Finals when they won it all, and at the buzzer he did the whole jumping up and down and swinging fists thing that Jordan always did out of nowhere. The game was a blowout and it felt like he was waiting to do that the whole time. It was odd.

I have seen Paul Pierce, LeBron and many other players celebrate the same way

Everyone wants to be like MJ. Kobe has been the best at being like MJ so far

Why does he have to be original? What moves is he supposed to be invent? Most have already been invented. Who makes up their own moves nowadays? It's hard to do at this point

Good god, you guys are stupid. Kobe stole moves from the best players, and he stole every move in the GOAT's playbook. I wish I could do the same, and make tens of millions doing it while being a top 10 player of all time

Impressive stuff

LBJ 23
10-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Kobe took imitation to a borderline creepy level, especially earlier in his career.. .

I agree with this. It's not about the actual basketball moves, it's more about the ''he can't guard me'' type of copy moves. It's normal for a average 10 years old kid on the playground to do this, it's normal to see a highschool player celebrate the exact same way Jordan did, but it's quite weird to see an adult NBA superstar with his own NBA legacy do this.

7_cody
10-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I agree with this. It's not about actual basketball moves, it's more about the ''he can't guard me'' type of copy moves. It's normal for average 10 years old kid on the playground to do this, it's normal to see a highschool player celebrate the exact same way Jordan did, but it's quite weird to see an adult NBA superstar with his own NBA legacy do this.

You're trying too hard.

Name me one original player in the NBA that invented all of his own manerisms and moves.

Definitely not LeBron. Even he does the Jordan fist pump celebration.

I'll wait.

After you're done with that, name me one player that wouldn't want to be like Michael Jordan.

Still waiting.

Hoopz2332
10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
You're trying too hard.

Name me one original player in the NBA that invented all of his own manerisms and moves.

Definitely not LeBron. Even he does the Jordan fist pump celebration.

I'll wait.

After you're done with that, name me one player that wouldn't want to be like Michael Jordan.

Still waiting.

Lebron is far more original than Kobe:oldlol: Lebron can be described as hybrids of various players before him but no singular player is like him. lebron is one of the most unique players ever while Kobe is a downgraded lower level imitation of Jordan:biggums:

sportjames23
10-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I've never been mad at Kobe from copying MJ's moves. Hell, I did the same thing when I used to ball. The thing that pissed me off about Kobe when he first came on the scene is when he denied it, saying Magic was his favorite player growing up.

Now, how many of you had a favorite player growing up--but wound up copying the moves of another player completely? GTFOWTBS

7_cody
10-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Lebron is far more original than Kobe:oldlol: Lebron can be described as hybrids of various players before him but no singular player is like him. lebron is one of the most unique players ever while Kobe is a downgraded lower level imitation of Jordan:biggums:

Is there anything original about LeBron? He isn't the first point forward. He isn't the first playmaker. What did he invent?

So not being able to master every move from other great players before you is more impressive than being able to master any move?

Ok. If you say so. I respectfully disagree that Kobe trying to be like MJ is a bad thing.

7_cody
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I've never been mad at Kobe from copying MJ's moves. Hell, I did the same thing when I used to ball. The thing that pissed me off about Kobe when he first came on the scene is when he denied it, saying Magic was his favorite player growing up.

Now, how many of you had a favorite player growing up--but wound up copying the moves of another player completely? GTFOWTBS

yeah I didn't like that either. I have always thought that he only said that because he is a Laker, and it makes a better story

MJ was obviously his favorite player...

LBJ 23
10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
You're trying too hard.

Of course you're right with this one. But with Kobe it goes beyond that and you know it.

And I'm not saying that it's wrong, I'm just saying it's weird cuz Kobe really didn't need to do this. He was so good/famous/hyped up at such an early age that he would be where he is now without being Jordan nr. 2 as far as manerisms go. I can see some scrub doing this trying to become more famous but for Kobe it really wasn't neccessary.

7_cody
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Of course you're right with this one. But with Kobe it goes beyond that and you know it.

And I'm not saying that it's wrong, I'm just saying it's weird cuz Kobe really didn't need to do this. He was so good/famous/hyped up at such an early age that he would be where he is now without being Jordan nr. 2 as far as manerisms go. I can see some scrub doing this trying to become more famous but for Kobe it really wasn't neccessary.

ok fair enough, IMO he didn't do it on purpose it just came naturally after spending his entire life trying to be like MJ. Too bad he didn't copy MJ's shot selection, limited 3-pointer attempts and increased effort into finding the higher percentage shots, instead he fell in love with MJ's hero shots and difficult to guard fadeaways

Even someone like me, say I was good enough to go pro (hahah, yeah right!), even I would probably use some of Kobe's manerisms and verbage without meaning to. I'd be like, "We just didn't execute well enough. We need to execute better." ya know, I don't know, I would love to be like MJ or Kobe personally

Think on the business side too, if a business is successful, than other entrepreneurs will try to copy that. It's hard to invent a business model, but profits can be made by successfully copying something that already works

Hoopz2332
10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Is there anything original about LeBron? He isn't the first point forward. He isn't the first playmaker. What did he invent?

There has never been a player like in all aspects like Lebron.

This is the breakdown they did on Lebron on ESPN countdown

http://i.imgur.com/dUpXTrs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XOhs7td.jpg

How Good Is LeBron James?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_yl_oRQR4

So not being able to master every move from other great players before you is more impressive than being able to master any move?

Ok. If you say so. I respectfully disagree that Kobe trying to be like MJ is a bad thing.

Taking a few moves from Jordan is one thing, jacking his mannerisms is another level of weirdness on some stalker sh!t.:coleman:

Kobe Bryant is gone from the NBA playoffs, but he remains the most riveting and controversial figure of the postseason. Even his absence fills the room.

Bryant solidified his position as the most polarizing player in the NBA with a wildly inconsistent and confounding series against the Suns. There he is, passing and moving without the ball and generally playing like Steve Nash. There he is, putting up 50 because his team needs it. There he is, petulantly putting up three shots in the second half of the seventh game, just to prove a point about the inadequacies of his teammates.

And to think, the seventh-game disappearance came just as everyone was ready to attach a new description -- team player -- on him.

Say what you want, but he's the only guy who could have pulled that one off.

How's this for redirecting responsibility: You can make a good case that 90 percent of Kobe's problems stem from the lingering, and bizarre, national fixation with Michael Jordan. Kobe is part of the fixation; he's groomed himself to be the successor to the point of imitating Jordan's mannerisms.

And that, more than anything, is why every game featuring Kobe comes across not as a basketball game but as "Kobe on Kobe."

He's been trying so hard to be someone else -- or someone else's version of who he should be -- that he isn't really anybody. From the outside, his words seem hollow and his actions seem borrowed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/060510

no pun intended
10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2013, 02:54 PM

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bronhs.jpg

Lebron was dipped in Kobe Bryant gear...even trying to swagger jack Kobe's do.

http://only-sneakers.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/adidas-the-kobe-ii____.jpg

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Who stole anything from Kobe? :confusedshrug:

Off the top....

Marshon Brooks

Paul George

Kyrie Irving

Andrew Wiggins

and just like MJ in the 90's.....we all wanted to be like mike.....but honestly who could?

who stole from MJ and actually used it in game and suceeded?.....hardly anyone.

sc19
10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Lol @ This generation copying Kobe. And it's true. We see that in chuckers like Melo and Westbrook. Kobe has embraced ball hogging and chucking in basketball.

Hoopz2332
10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Off the top....

Marshon Brooks

Paul George

Kyrie Irving

Andrew Wiggins

and just like MJ in the 90's.....we all wanted to be like mike.....but honestly who could?

who stole from MJ and actually used it in game and suceeded?.....hardly anyone.

none of those guys play like Jordan therefore they don't play Kobe.:biggums:

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2013, 03:04 PM

- actually all of them play like Kobe....

Brooks especially.....not only do I recognize this.....but so does Brooks ( as he always says he patterned his game after Kobe)

so either me , Marshon and most fans are lying....or you don't understand basketball.

( same goes with PG 24)

Hoopz2332
10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
- actually all of them play like Kobe....

Brooks especially.....not only do I recognize this.....but so does Brooks ( as he always says he patterned his game after Kobe)

so either me , Marshon and most fans are lying....or you don't understand basketball.

( same goes with PG 24)

The only think Kobe-like about Marshon is that he chucks and never passes:oldlol:

branslowski
10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
The only think Kobe-like about Marshon is that he chucks and never passes:oldlol:

So Kobe avg 6ast last year and led all SG's how?

Le Shaqtus
10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
So Kobe avg 6ast last year and led all SG's how?

You can't be selfish and average 6 assists, people just like to hate :confusedshrug:

ILLsmak
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
seems like every thread that goes more than 2 pages turns into Kobe v Lebron.

It's too bad their peaks didn't coincide better so that it could have been an argument. heh.

-Smak

longtime lurker
10-02-2013, 03:32 PM
There has never been a player like in all aspects like Lebron.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/060510

What a crock of shit. Lebron plays nothing like Magic. He's a mix of Larry Bird and Jordan's athleticism without the shooting touch.

Smoke117
10-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Can't say I've seen a lot players "steal" any of Kobe's moves. Not any players of merit. Wade who has gone back and forth with as the best SG in the league have nothing in common. Frankly Wade plays like a young Jordan more than Kobe ever did. Kobe just took the 2nd threepeat Jordan's moves. He never had the hand size and ball handling abilities of a Jordan and Wade.

Levity
10-02-2013, 03:35 PM

if you want to hate, thats fine. but get your ignorance out of here.

Funnyfuka
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
they have exactly the same kind of physique, no wonder they have the same style of play. Smarten up peeps.

Hoopz2332
08-25-2016, 07:39 PM

http://lakerholicz.com/kobe-on-jordan-i-stole-his-moves-this-generation-stole-mine/2013/10/01

:oldlol: