PDA

View Full Version : Bird and Lebron passing video

Hoopz2332
10-06-2013, 05:06 PM
I remember a thread on here comparing the passing skills between the two with many arguing that Bird made passes that lebron couldn't do. I ran across this video

Can LeBron make the same kind of passes as Larry Bird?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3EWmeFrSNM

The above is indisputable evidence that Larry Bird is a superior passer to LeBron James. Watch all these passes Larry Bird pulls off that LeBron could never dream of duplicating. This video is simply the nail in the coffin.

This actually a troll video (notice the Ether beat? lol ) answering those who think along those lines

BoutPractice
10-06-2013, 06:00 PM
It's difficult to compare elite passers, honestly. You can easily see the difference between a good, a very good, and an elite passer, but between elite passers it gets complicated. They're all capable of pulling off pretty much any pass... the only difference is usually how risk averse they are (for instance, Magic had lower risk awareness than John Stockton, leading to lots of spectacular passes but also more turnovers), the team's tempo, and the opportunities they get. Jason Kidd could've made all those passes as well.

Rose'sACL
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Good video. There was a thread a few months back where this was discussed. one guys posted some videos of bird passes and then everyone started calling him better than lebron as a passer.When i posted in the same thread with some good videos, no one bothered to reply.
I respect Bird more than lebron because he didn't have the body lebron has I also hate lebron because he tries to show false modesty after that 2011 failure but you have to go by what player does on the court to rank them as players.
bird also played on a more stacked team for most of his career. As much as people hate lebron for playing on a stacked team, bird's celtics were more stacked than current heat for many years.
Also, These (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OKKNFPeKGU) types of passes that people consider easy are probably some of the hardest passes of all time and he makes them on regular basis.

#number6ix#
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Nice video

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Lebron is better at passing the ball off the rim to the other team (aka bricks). So if that counts, then yes Lebron is better at passing (bricks) than Bird.

Hoopz2332
10-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Also, These (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OKKNFPeKGU) types of passes that people consider easy are probably some of the hardest passes of all time and he makes them on regular basis.

agreed

2 other nice passes

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2598929/lemvpgoathofjames_medium.gif

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/931373/wadej.gif

Unbiased_one
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Lebron is better at passing the ball off the rim to the other team (aka bricks). So if that counts, then yes Lebron is better at passing (bricks) than Bird.

I'm pretty sure that LeBron put up a higher fg% last year than bird ever did

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that LeBron put up a higher fg% last year than bird ever did

Stacked team in a league with no handchecking, defensive 3 seconds, more 3pt shooters, players hiding out of bounds, no PED testing, and refs gifting allstar FT attempts.....I'd say shooting 30% in the 80s = shooting 55% in today's league

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 07:39 PM
It is virtually unanimous consensus among hoops aficionados that Bird had at the very least slightly better vision and reflexes for getting a pass off than Lebron - his assists aren't inflated because he wasn't as dominant on the ball as Lebron, but he was the better passer. Show a child a Larry Bird passing video, and a Lebron passing video and the child is going to go "whoahhhhhh" a lot more often in the Larry Bird video. He had more creativity, awareness and his passes looked much more difficult to execute. This has been discussed a couple of hundred times already, all leading to the same consensus at the end. Bird was the better passer, Lebron just has more assists because he is ball dominant. Not really that difficult to understand.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Fp5_e5aPqUY/SVkWA1zJUbI/AAAAAAAAG-4/mKu3y1vyEbY/s400/deadhorse2.jpg

Rose'sACL
10-06-2013, 07:43 PM
It is virtually unanimous consensus among hoops aficionados that Bird had at the very least slightly better vision and reflexes for getting a pass off than Lebron - his assists aren't inflated because he wasn't as dominant on the ball as Lebron, but he was the better passer. Show a child a Larry Bird passing video, and a Lebron passing video and the child is going to go "whoahhhhhh" a lot more often in the Larry Bird video. He had more creativity, awareness and his passes looked much more difficult to execute. This has been discussed a couple of hundred times already, all leading to the same consensus at the end. Bird was the better passer, Lebron just has more assists because he is ball dominant. Not really that difficult to understand.

2010 was 3 years ago. let it go. it is only a game. You'll live a better life if you do this. You might even start watching NBA games that happened after wilt retired.

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
2010 was 3 years ago. let it go. it is only a game. You'll live a better life if you do this. You might even start watching NBA games that happened after wilt retired.
Why do Lebron fans always fall back on the same tired come backs when they know they are incorrect about something? Is it a bad thing to not quite be the same caliber of passer as Larry freaking Bird, really? Bird is a candidate for the greatest passing non-guard of all time, yet your quick to attempt to insult people who point out that he was better at it than Lebron - who is easily acknowledged by me and others as the CURRENT best passing non-guard in the NBA (nothing to be ashamed of at all).

SHAQisGOAT
10-06-2013, 07:52 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Fp5_e5aPqUY/SVkWA1zJUbI/AAAAAAAAG-4/mKu3y1vyEbY/s400/deadhorse2.jpg

Agreed.

Not far by any means but Bird was the better passer (and player, at their best, also). Anyone that has seen enough of both and knows basketball can tell.

pauk
10-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Very identical (not because of that video, i have seen an unhealthy amount of games from both), but Lebron seems to have some extra snap on his passes with even less effort, dont know if it has to do with strength or technique but with a single flick of his wrist the ball is shot like out of a cannon & its dead accurate, other players have to heave/swing the ball like a baseball pitch to get it to that speed... this is what allows him to zip the ball through defenders right into the hands of a teammate, defender doesnt even have time to react to deflect the ball... like this pass at 8:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA Its definitely not a pass i have seen Bird do at same apex, only Magic perhaps....

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Very identical, but Lebron seems to have some extra snap on his passes with even less effort, dont know if it has to do with strength or technique but with a single flick of his wrist the ball is shot like out of a cannon & its dead accurate.... this is what allows him to zip the ball through defenders right into the hands of a teammate, defender doesnt even have time to react... like this pass at 8:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA Its definitely not a pass you would see Bird do at same apex, only Magic perhaps....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: literally the opposite is true

Rose'sACL
10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Why do Lebron fans always fall back on the same tired come backs when they know they are incorrect about something? Is it a bad thing to be a slightly worse passer than Larry Bird, really? Bird is a candidate for the greatest passing non-guard of all time, yet your quick to spit venom at people who point out that he was better at it than Lebron - who is easily acknowledged by me and others as the CURRENT best passing non-guard in the NBA (nothing to be ashamed of at all).
i wrote that because anyone who has been on this site long enough knows that you're biased just like silk or 9er are biased. they hate lebron/kobe because they love the other player and you hate lebron because well you just hate lebron james.

Also, i wasn't spitting venom. i was just ****ing with you but you clearly can't take a joke. I am one of the least biased guys here. My screen name is rose'sACL and i still want bulls or pacers to win east this year and i have never hated on kobe but kobe fans but your hate for lebron has been obvious for a long time now. Every post of yours that isn't about lebron is actually a good one.

Also, why should people agree with you that bird was the better passer even though it is not a bad thing to be slightly worse than bird. why can't you accept that lebron might be equal ot even a little better at passing than bird?

Pace of the game was much quicker in bird days which really makes his passing look even better plus he had a way better front court to pass to for most of his career. I hate silk/tonymontana too but why should james/heat fans always have to be humble to earn respect when guys like you are never humble. you are not humble even when you talk about wilt. first look at yourself and then talk about others spitting venom.

pauk
10-06-2013, 07:58 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: literally the opposite is true

Show me....

iTare
10-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Bird is BARELY better. I'd still take LeBron over Bird as a better player though.

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Show me....
Show me that Santa Clause doesn't exist...

You can't prove someone a negative. As Lebron's biggest homer on the planet, your convinced that dude walks on water better than Jesus - how do you expect anyone to prove to you that he doesn't? All I can tell you is consensus and even just casual observer watching footage is Bird > Lebron when it comes to passing and it isn't just occasional Lebron trolls like me who believe this - real hoops fans have gone over this many many times. Just like when it comes to shooting. Or post moves. Bird was better at many if not virtually every single skill-related facet of the game than Lebron, he had to be because he wasn't as gifted as Lebron. To an objective fan, Lebron is a better athlete than Bird, Bird is more skilled and this includes his ability to pass.

pauk
10-06-2013, 08:11 PM
CavaliersFTW look at these passes for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaS5xK1RSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA&feature=player_detailpage#t=522
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aATBTl-oKE

You wont find any footage of Bird throwing the ball at that velocity with the slightest movement of his wrist..... unless he heaved the ball like a baseball pitcher...

You need just give up denying this, really doesnt make sense... its like denying a blue pen being blue, because you would prefer the red pen to be blue....

It doesnt matter who you choose here in this department, but Lebron definitely has more snap in his passes...

pauk
10-06-2013, 08:16 PM

You can't prove someone a negative. As Lebron's biggest homer on the planet, your convinced that dude walks on water better than Jesus - how do you expect anyone to prove to you that he doesn't? All I can tell you is consensus and even just casual observer watching footage is Bird > Lebron when it comes to passing and it isn't just occasional Lebron trolls like me who believe this - real hoops fans have gone over this many many times. Just like when it comes to shooting. Or post moves. Bird was better at many if not virtually every single skill-related facet of the game than Lebron, he had to be because he wasn't as gifted as Lebron. To an objective fan, Lebron is a better athlete than Bird, Bird is more skilled and this includes his ability to pass.

Replace the "Lebron homer" with "Lebron hater" and aim that post to yourself.... then we have a more accurate description....

Rose'sACL
10-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Stop talking about consensus. Consensus is that wilt would still be the most athletic basketball player in today's NBA and he had to play in a league which was way less athletic as compared to today and yet consensus is that he didn't accomplish half of what he should have.

I have never put lebron on top of even kobe on any serious all time list i have posted and i respect bird way more than lebron.

You have to take pace of the game into account when you talk about passing and lebron plays in a much slower league as compared to when bird played.

Pauk is biased and so are you. Anyone on this board will tell that both of you are incredibly biased. he blindly love lebron and you blindly hate him. at least in this thread he is posting videos while you are posting smileys. both pauk and you are not troll from what i have seen and that is why i am replying to you.

Trollsmasher
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Luckily we are not asking the kids but the adults:lol

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Very identical (not because of that video, i have seen an unhealthy amount of games from both), but Lebron seems to have some extra snap on his passes with even less effort, dont know if it has to do with strength or technique but with a single flick of his wrist the ball is shot like out of a cannon & its dead accurate, other players have to heave/swing the ball like a baseball pitch to get it to that speed... this is what allows him to zip the ball through defenders right into the hands of a teammate, defender doesnt even have time to react to deflect the ball... like this pass at 8:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA Its definitely not a pass i have seen Bird do at same apex, only Magic perhaps....

You must not watch much basketball, which is understandable, because you have 12+ accounts on this site to manage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPx4N5NWCbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di3JzqRPOpk (#4)

Two passes of similar, yet superior nature. Lebron is a top 20 passing non PG, but you are insane/ignorant if you think he is better than Bird, Barry, Ginobili, Hill, Pressey, Hornacek, Christie, etc.

HomieWeMajor
10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
You must not watch much basketball, which is understandable, because you have 12+ accounts on this site to manage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPx4N5NWCbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di3JzqRPOpk (#4)

Two passes of similar, yet superior nature. Lebron is a top 20 passing non PG, but you are insane/ignorant if you think he is better than Bird, Barry, Ginobili, Hill, Pressey, Hornacek, Christie, etc.
Should throw in Boris Diaw to that list aswell

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Should throw in Boris Diaw to that list aswell

True homie, there are like 30 or 40 more guys I could add. Pauk hasn't heard of any of them though (only knows Kobe, MJ, and Lebron), so it wouldn't really do any good

KyleKong
10-06-2013, 09:13 PM

56%

Stay salty.

aj1987
10-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Lebron is a top 20 passing non PG, but you are insane/ignorant if you think he is better than Barry, Ginobili, Hill, Pressey, Hornacek, Christie, etc.
That's just laughable and shows how much YOU watch basketball. How hard did you cry when Lebron won his second ring?

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 09:28 PM
That's just laughable and shows how much YOU watch basketball. How hard did you cry when Lebron won his second ring?

As a Heat fan (my username is for Mike Miller, but I lost an avy bet so I have a Pacers avatar), I was overjoyed, but still a little dubious given the fact it took us playing a sub .500 team in the first round, the Rose/Deng-less Bulls with an injured Noah, the Grangerless Pacers, and the Spurs with an injured Parker. And we were very lucky that Westbrook, Gallo, Kobe, Lee, etc. got hurt.

And it was his first ring, lockout rings don't count.

New World Order
10-06-2013, 09:32 PM

That literally makes no sense. Unless the playoffs themselves were shortened with fewer games being played (thus changing what it takes to win), winning the playoffs remains the same in a lockout season as it does in a non-lockout season. So it's still the same.

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
That literally makes no sense. Unless the playoffs themselves were shortened with fewer games being played (thus changing what it takes to win), winning the playoffs remains the same in a lockout season as it does in a non-lockout season. So it's still the same.

Ah, another one of Pauk's sock account makes an appearance! Sorry, it is a fact that lockout rings are not real rings. They are either * rings or worth 1/4 a real ring.

KyleKong
10-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Ah, another one of Pauk's sock account makes an appearance! Sorry, it is a fact that lockout rings are not real rings. They are either * rings or worth 1/4 a real ring.

How shortened were the playoffs again?

Miller for 3
10-06-2013, 10:24 PM
How shortened were the playoffs again?

Well, considering we beat the Knicks with no Lin, Shumpert, or Davis, the Pacers with an injured Granger, the Celtics with no Bradley, the Thunder with no Maynor, plus Howard, Rose, Horford, etc. were hurt, I would say the playoffs were worth about 2-3 real playoff season games.

KyleKong
10-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Well, considering we beat the Knicks with no Lin, Shumpert, or Davis, the Pacers with an injured Granger, the Celtics with no Bradley, the Thunder with no Maynor, plus Howard, Rose, Horford, etc. were hurt, I would say the playoffs were worth about 2-3 real playoff season games.

:durantunimpressed:

Reaching for straws at this point.

aj1987
10-06-2013, 10:29 PM
As a Heat fan (my username is for Mike Miller, but I lost an avy bet so I have a Pacers avatar), I was overjoyed, but still a little dubious given the fact it took us playing a sub .500 team in the first round, the Rose/Deng-less Bulls with an injured Noah, the Grangerless Pacers, and the Spurs with an injured Parker. And we were very lucky that Westbrook, Gallo, Kobe, Lee, etc. got hurt.

:roll: GTFO. Whose alt are you?

Miami already faced a Bulls team WITH Rose/Deng, a Pacers team WITH Granger (and without Bosh), and a Thunder team with a healthy Westbrook and Harden. Kobe/Gallo/Lee? :oldlol:

plowking
10-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Are you actually really young? You're really bad at debating and getting your point across.

Aficionados? Yeah... the people on this forum who dislike the Heat. :oldlol:

tmacattack33
10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I can't say if Lebron is a better passer than Bird. I've maybe seen one or two whole games of Bird. Highlight videos don't show you the whole picture.

All i know is that Rondo, C. Paul, D Williams, and Lebron are at the top of the passing game today.

#number6ix#
10-06-2013, 10:49 PM
What about bosh missing all of the pacers series and most of the celtic series... Or that doesn't matter

Simple Jack
10-07-2013, 12:26 AM

You actually can prove a negative in that regard. I can prove there is no such entity that will strike me down after writing this sentence. (the fact that i didn't die after writing this, proves that doesn't exist).

Asukal
10-07-2013, 04:56 AM
CavaliersFTW look at these passes for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaS5xK1RSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA&feature=player_detailpage#t=522
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aATBTl-oKE

You wont find any footage of Bird throwing the ball at that velocity with the slightest movement of his wrist..... unless he heaved the ball like a baseball pitcher...

You need just give up denying this, really doesnt make sense... its like denying a blue pen being blue, because you would prefer the red pen to be blue....

It doesnt matter who you choose here in this department, but Lebron definitely has more snap in his passes...

Do you realize a great pass is more than just high velocity? :rolleyes:

Hoopz2332
10-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Could Bird make this pass?:coleman:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2675253/lepass2_medium.gif

another good one....out of the post/seal:biggums:

▶ LeBron James With a Beautiful Behind-the-Back Pass to Anderson Varejao - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V2P9-ezKmw

LeBron Behind The Back Pass Vs Magic (5.26.09) (one handed block/bassline)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF8vlyksfic

▶ LeBron James Behind-the-Back Pass to Big Z (10.30.09) - YouTube (similar pass but to Big z)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMMFXA8s8ik

made this look simple but it's not!

LeBron James' sick inbound behind the back pass to Mike Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkzkQXekoQ

different angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHImjtjKGCo

Champ
10-07-2013, 11:59 AM

▶ LeBron James With a Beautiful Behind-the-Back Pass to Anderson Varejao - YouTube

▶ LeBron James Behind-the-Back Pass to Big Z (10.30.09) - YouTube (similar pass but to Big z)

different angle

Those are great, entertaining passes, but to answer your question, Bird made fancy passes like that on a routine basis, as well.

To be honest, I'm not really impressed by the last one because the player guarding the inbound pass played it so poorly and seemed to lack any real effort.

Both Bird and Lebron were/are great passers and the question as to who's better is highly subjective. I personally feel Bird's assists came in greater variety and were a bit more creative, while Lebron passes with a bit more oomph.

VIntageNOvel
10-07-2013, 12:30 PM
There's a big difference between passing because your teammates open and passing because youre too scared to shoot

troll aside both has different approach, bird has score first mentality, he would pass if he doesnt get a good look,
but bron is looking to pass first and try to score himself if no teammates are open (and because hes so good at it, people think hes a scorer like melo/durant when actually he's a pass first player)

LikeABosh
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Probably the lamest thing I've ever read on here. You should be banned for this

bizil
10-07-2013, 09:29 PM
My take is Lebron has point guard handles and pace to his game. In terms of vision, I believe they are equal. But Lebron can create better off the dribble. Lebron came into the L as a PG. As great as Bird was, u wouldn't put him at PG. Sure he's a point forward caliber player. Who is as good of a passer from a stationary spot ever. But Bron can create better off the dribble and more like PG's such as Magic, Stockton, Isiah, CP3, Nash, etc. U have SF's or point forwards like Bron, Hill, and Pippen who can flat out play PG, SG, and SF on both sides of the ball. Then u have point forwards like Bird and Barry who in the halfcourt and from a stationary spot can drop dimes as good as anybody.

Greg Oden 50
10-07-2013, 11:51 PM

different angle

LUCKY PASSES

Hoopz2332
10-08-2013, 07:25 AM
I didn't even bring up lebron's most basic 1 handed dart passes and his across the court/body bullets:biggums:

Thunder vs. Heat: LeBron James highlights - 34 points, 10 assists (4.4.12) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10WQizH3Yoo

@ 4:26

@ 4:48-: 4:52:eek: Could Bird hit you with darts like that? (again at 5:07)

LeBron James no look pass to Chris Bosh vs Portland (2013.01.10) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf9cNLPiRaw

too easy:coleman:

Trollsmasher
10-08-2013, 07:29 AM
C'mon guys, gimme some Bird cross court bullets...? I know those guys in the '80s couldn't shoot threes, but surely he was capable of making so easy pass.

Rose'sACL
10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Thunder vs. Heat: LeBron James highlights - 34 points, 10 assists (4.4.12) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10WQizH3Yoo

Those cross court passes are a thing of beauty given how simple he makes them look. If someone who hasn't played basketball in his life watches those, he'd think that he could do it but they are so ****ing hard to do with lebron's accuracy.

Hoopz2332
10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Those cross court passes are a thing of beauty given how simple he makes them look. If someone who hasn't played basketball in his life watches those, he'd think that he could do it but they are so ****ing hard to do with lebron's accuracy.

Lebron is the best at that pass hands down. Some more

▶ LeBron James Full Highlights 2013.03.25 at Magic - 24 Pts, 11 Assists, 9 Rebs. - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eifqij4Jj8s

@ 4:01 left handed

@ 4:06 right handed

@ :57 underhanded dart:oldlol: :eek:

SHAQisGOAT
10-08-2013, 09:15 AM
People still trying to say Lebron's the better passer? :oldlol:

I mean, it's not far by any means but please, only Lebron fanboys, people who haven't seen enough of Bird or people that never played organized basketball/know nothing about the game, are going to say that LBJ is the better passer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTI-Cmkp87A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o66NdFDHEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqDadqF3Ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbFNQoY8RFk

That pretty much tops anything that Lebron has ever done, and he did that on the regular, plus we're talking about a guy that played 30 years ago.

Bird pulled passes on the regular that would be career passes for Lebron and only "happening" like a couple of times with him. Larry had more precision, had a longer variety with speed, put better spin, better IQ, knew where his teammates were going to be as opposed to only where they were, most of the time threw the right pass, could use the left hand much better, his flashy passes where needed as opposed to Lebron who over-does-it a whole lot, Bird did the necessary pass to get teammates easy bucks, passes that were extremely hard to pull, and he didn't need to over-handle the ball or dribble out the clock to put the hot potato on another's guys hands to get his passing numbers or put people out of their game like turning Bosh into a 3pt shooter or something lol.

Lebron's passes that people go crazy over, nowadays... Bird did better stuff regularly, hype wasn't the same as in this generation though lol.

Bird = greatest non-guard passer, top 5 passer ever
Lebron = one of the greatest non-guard passers, top 15/20 passer ever

jzek
10-08-2013, 09:24 AM
If you never saw Larry play (99% of kids here on ISH), LBJ is your GOAT SF.

If you saw Larry play (1% of adults here on ISH), Bird is your GOAT SF.

Simple.

Champ
10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
C'mon guys, gimme some Bird cross court bullets...? I know those guys in the '80s couldn't shoot threes, but surely he was capable of making so easy pass.

There's footage out there somewhere of Bird making one of those passes left handed for an open three, I think to Danny Ainge. If I have time today I'll try to dig it up.

Bird did that stuff often, but the video footage of that era if obviously less-abundant than what we have today.

Also, offensive sets back then weren't as centered around the three point shot, and court spacing among players wasn't as wide, so there were fewer opportunities in a given game to make that kind of pass.

SHAQisGOAT
10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Simple.

Pretty much.

There's footage out there somewhere of Bird making one of those passes left handed for an open three, I think to Danny Ainge. If I have time today I'll try to dig it up.

Bird did that stuff often, but the video footage of that era if obviously less-abundant than what we have today.

Also, offensive sets back then weren't as centered around the three point shot, and court spacing among players wasn't as wide, so there were fewer opportunities in a given game to make that kind of pass.

This pass? http://youtu.be/AbFNQoY8RFk?t=2m57s

Majority of players throughout history trying to make that pass with the non-dominant hand?.. Ball would've ended out of bounds. With Larry, it couldn't be more perfect, right in the shooting's pocket, Danny didn't even have to move an inch of his body or arms/hands. Just crazy that he would do that type of stuff regularly.

HomieWeMajor
10-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Simple.
I started watching NBA 2 years ago and even I know this

SHAQisGOAT
10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I started watching NBA 2 years ago and even I know this

There's plenty of younger people who go to youtube and whatnot to watch past-eras games, or extensive games highlights. You can definitely see the greatness of someone like Larry Bird doing that, just to understand how amazing he was, some people don't even know it..

pauk
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
ShaqisGOAT.... Look, I was just a toddler the last time Bird played but my father was a huge Celtic fan (pbuh) & a basketball coach (how i got into basketball), he VHS taped around 200 games from the 80s Celtics (including much more of other games especially from 80s FIBA, Euro & Yugo cups), i have carefully used that <<REW button on my Hitachi on all those Celtic games and seen many other games thanks to www.pontel.com DVD's, i became a massive Larry Bird fan... He is up there only with Drazen & Reggie my favorite players of all time, those are the games i emulated & players i idolised growing up.... I think Larry Bird is not only the best SF of all time but arguably/in my opinion the greatest overall actual basketball player i seen in terms of overall skills.... i think all his facets of the game were premiere... if he had better athleticism, oh my....

So please dont give me that Lebron homer / You have not seen Bird excuse (especially you CavaliersFTW) when i tell you that who the better passer was between Lebron / Bird is MUCH more contestable than what you think.... I am extremly nostalgic, but not in a prejudiced way, i love basketball more, i unfortunately have seen just as much as Lebron or others footage.... i can easily tell you he is right up there in terms of passing skills/vision and yes its not absurd to argue he was better just like it is for Bird.... unlike you that is not a statement, but just my opinion based on my awereness from both these players....

I thought Bird was by far the best passing non pg i ever seen, then Lebron came in and i have been just smh ever since until i gave up and said "Ok, fine, this guys passing is right up there".... actually, that is the main reason i like Lebrons game, his offensive mindset kindof reminds of Larry & Magic... without his vision/passing/ballcontrol he is just another Dominique with better defense or something afterall and i would then probably not been as fond of his game as i am right now, not sure lol....

Rose'sACL
10-08-2013, 10:36 AM

I mean, it's not far by any means but please, only Lebron fanboys, people who haven't seen enough of Bird or people that never played organized basketball/know nothing about the game, are going to say that LBJ is the better passer.

That pretty much tops anything that Lebron has ever done, and he did that on the regular, plus we're talking about a guy that played 30 years ago.

Bird pulled passes on the regular that would be career passes for Lebron and only "happening" like a couple of times with him. Larry had more precision, had a longer variety with speed, put better spin, better IQ, knew where his teammates were going to be as opposed to only where they were, most of the time threw the right pass, could use the left hand much better, his flashy passes where needed as opposed to Lebron who over-does-it a whole lot, Bird did the necessary pass to get teammates easy bucks, passes that were extremely hard to pull, and he didn't need to over-handle the ball or dribble out the clock to put the hot potato on another's guys hands to get his passing numbers or put people out of their game like turning Bosh into a 3pt shooter or something lol.

Lebron's passes that people go crazy over, nowadays... Bird did better stuff regularly, hype wasn't the same as in this generation though lol.

why do you always write in bold? are your parents divorced and you feel like nobody pays attention to you?

SamuraiSWISH
10-08-2013, 11:53 AM
why do you always write in bold? are your parents divorced and you feel like nobody pays attention to you?
:oldlol:

Just2McFly
10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
whoa:roll: :roll: :roll:

RoundMoundOfReb
10-08-2013, 12:26 PM
LeBron James may be the best skip passer I have ever seen but he is not as good as an overall passer as Larry Bird.

SHAQisGOAT
10-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Says the guy with 1,282 posts since April :rolleyes:

Mommy got herself a new boyfriend or something?

Champ
10-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Pretty much.

Majority of players throughout history trying to make that pass with the non-dominant hand?.. Ball would've ended out of bounds. With Larry, it couldn't be more perfect, right in the shooting's pocket, Danny didn't even have to move an inch of his body or arms/hands. Just crazy that he would do that type of stuff regularly.

That's the one. Good find!

Hoopz2332
10-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Didn't see anything in those videos lebron couldn't do:coleman: Lebron's does it off the bounce and stationary positions. Some more of that lebron vision..

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1722823/leusa.gif

During Team USA’s quarterfinal meeting with Australia on Wednesday, 2012 NBA MVP, World Champion and Finals MVP LeBron James went where no Olympic baller has gone before, dropping the first triple double in Olympic history.

LeBron’s most memorable play from the blowout win came when he threw a no-look pass between defender Aaron Haynes’ legs right into the hands of Carmelo Anthony for the bucket.

Although the pass wasn’t quite as nice as the full-court bounce pass that he hit Kevin Durant with earlier in the Olympics (aka the 2nd best pass in Olympic history), the play was impressive nonetheless.

With the triple double LeBron stays on pace to win MVP of the Olympics, currently in a dead heat with Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt.

Video of LeBron’s no-look between-the-defender’s legs pass to Carmelo Anthony, and his other no-look dime to Westbrook, after the jump…

▶ USA v AUS - Men's Basketball Quarterfinal | London 2012 Olympics - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiem1w_TvaA

It's in this video starting @ 21:39

some others gems in that video

12:07 lob to Chandler

27:34 touch pass to Westbrook

pauk
10-08-2013, 03:57 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1722823/leusa.gif

Sickness, dont remember this one

Hoopz2332
10-08-2013, 04:27 PM
2 handed laser pass:coleman:

LeBron pass to Shane Battier against Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_WRmV83mI

Lebron James behind the back inbound pass to Deron Williams (look at the dude guarding lebron on the inbound, he didn't see that pass coming lol )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToegKjp4gUc

Hoopz2332
10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
▶ LeBron James left handed Bullet Pass to Big Z vs. Knicks (11.6.09) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnq8OpeVyJM

Trollsmasher
10-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Pretty much.

Looks much slower and precize than LeBron's average pass with the distance being much shorter with nobody in the path, but whatever:confusedshrug:

Hoopz2332
10-08-2013, 06:35 PM
LeBron's Full-Court outlet Chest Pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xA9bWYc_c

Lebron James ridiculous full court save/pass to Wade (2011.12.28) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCx8atwHxXM

LeBron James 2 handed wrap around Bounce Pass To Wade @ Lakers - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-EWV6245YY

LeBron James sick 2 handed bounce pass to Dwyane Wade Slam HD | Heat at Timberwolves | 3/4/13 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAl0RIrvu4

LBJ:biggums:

KyleKong
10-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Who attempted to neg me, and say I am Pauk?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Round Mound
10-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Lebron is NOT a Better Pure Passer than Bird.

Lebron IS a Better Creator Cause of Ballhandling Skills.

Court Vision?, Savy? Magician Like Passes? Its Bird All The Way

plowking
10-10-2013, 12:43 AM
LeBron's Full-Court outlet Chest Pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xA9bWYc_c

Lebron James ridiculous full court save/pass to Wade (2011.12.28) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCx8atwHxXM

LeBron James 2 handed wrap around Bounce Pass To Wade @ Lakers - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-EWV6245YY

LeBron James sick 2 handed bounce pass to Dwyane Wade Slam HD | Heat at Timberwolves | 3/4/13 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAl0RIrvu4

LBJ:biggums:

Wow, that pass against the Lakers to Wade is absolutely ridiculous.

KyleKong
10-10-2013, 03:49 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/65.+Can+anyone+tell+me+where+or+what+this+woman_db 806b_4730234.jpg

Hoopz2332
10-10-2013, 04:06 AM
some more Lebron gems:coleman:

LeBron Takes Over in Portland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXR46RkStpE

:6 -> :12 that hangtime

:36 -> :51 that look away touch pass to Bosh for the trailing dunk:biggums:

▶ LeBron James` Incredible look away angled laser bounce pass Assist to Wade vs Pacers - YouTube :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPPkzc0eD9o

Champ
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Looks much slower and precize than LeBron's average pass with the distance being much shorter with nobody in the path, but whatever:confusedshrug:

He goes around two guys to make a pass against his own momentum, and threads it between both of them and a third defender while delivering it on point to his teammate's shooting position left-handed.

Are we watching the same video?

Trollsmasher
10-10-2013, 10:58 AM
He goes around two guys to make a pass against his own momentum, and threads it between both of them and a third defender while delivering it on point to his teammate's shooting position left-handed.

Are we watching the same video?
Wut?:biggums: He goes by one guy (with the other biting on a pump-fake) and then throws an easy pass through a completly open passing lane to a totally open guy in the corner. There is no third defender.

And the left hand should impress me? I'm a LeBron fan:confusedshrug:

pauk
10-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Anybody who doesnt seem to author the impression of a Lebron misanthropist in most likely adolescent stage and hence combat the delusion they make with perfectly rational & factual replies is me in this forum.... take it as a compliment... :)

Champ
10-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Wut?:biggums: He goes by one guy (with the other biting on a pump-fake) and then throws an easy pass through a completly open passing lane to a totally open guy in the corner. There is no third defender.

And the left hand should impress me? I'm a LeBron fan:confusedshrug:

Some people see what they want to see, I guess.

Hoopz2332
10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2598889/lemvpgoathof.gif

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/501/968/LeBronBouncePass_original.gif

aj1987
10-10-2013, 03:12 PM

I got one too.
"obvious pauk alt"

SHAQisGOAT
10-10-2013, 03:45 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/501/968/LeBronBouncePass_original.gif

You keep posting passes that Bird did in his sleep tbh. Not hating and those were really good passes but Larry did better stuff on the regular.

That 2nd pass Lebron was lucky that it didn't got intercepted, and KD had to catch it at his feet.

Hoopz2332
10-10-2013, 03:52 PM
You keep posting passes that Bird did in his sleep tbh.

lebron also does these in his sleep

Not hating and those were really good passes but Larry did better stuff on the regular.

prove it:coleman:

Trollsmasher
10-10-2013, 03:52 PM
You keep posting passes that Bird did in his sleep tbh. Not hating and those were really good passes but Larry did better stuff on the regular.

That 2nd pass Lebron was lucky that it didn't got intercepted, and KD had to catch it at his feet.
This applies to the half of Bird's passes as well. As I said, there is reason you won't see the hot potato basketball of Pistol Pete and Larry Bird in today's league.

SHAQisGOAT
10-10-2013, 04:40 PM
lebron also does these in his sleep

prove it:coleman:

Nothing to be proved, Bird's regular passes/assists would be career passes/assists for Lebron. Lebron's a great passer but Bird's better, simple as that, not saying it's far, by any means, but it's clear to tell (for those who've watched enough from both and know their basketball).

youtube.com
sports-scene.net
thepiratebay.sx

Go watch full games with Bird playing, or extensive highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4

Like 40 minutes of footage right there, and from a guy who played 30 years ago. Pretty much tops everything Lebron has ever done, overall.

Again... Bird had higher IQ, it was like he was watching the game from the first row as opposed to actually being on the court playing, he knew where his teammates were going to be as opposed to where they are for Lebron, Larry could throw it with more precision while using strength and length, he could work the ball better and had more ways to find the open man, he was better with the left-hand, Bird didn't need to be flashy for the **** of it or try too hard like Lebron looking away after the assist is made, Larry made it flashy because it was necessary and the only way to hit the open man, and he didn't need to put people out of their roles (like turning Bosh into a 3pt shooter), he didn't need to over-handle the ball or even being the main ball-handler to make his impact felt as far as playmaking, he didn't need like 3 3pt shooters on the floor to dish and drive (and Lebron always draws double teams), to just dribble and pass to the side or to bail him out at the last minute, and Bird made passes to more crowded areas.
Touch passes in every single way, every trick in the book, flashy but necessary stuff, long passes, off the dribble, jump-passes, setting plays, finding cutters, hitting shooters, off of picks, to the paint, on the break, posting up, dish-n-drive... You name it, Larry was the better passer.

This applies to the half of Bird's passes as well. As I said, there is reason you won't see the hot potato basketball of Pistol Pete and Larry Bird in today's league.

http://i.imgur.com/q3ohLtD.gif

Hoopz2332
10-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Heat vs. Raptors: LeBron James highlights - 30 points (2.3.13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jb0-EQ1JUE

2:09 1 handed missle to Norris Cole:biggums:

1:33 1 handed underhand quick scoop pass to Bosh

1:23 the angle on that 2 handed bounce pass to the cutting Wade:eek:

bizil
10-10-2013, 06:15 PM
With these two u are talking the two greatest SF's passers of all time. U could go either way. But u can't deny the FACT that Lebron has PG handle and pace to his game. He can break down a defense better than Bird off the dribble AND can run the fast break better. I feel Bird has as good of passing vision as anybody. But PG's like Magic, Stockton, Isiah, CP3, Nash or SF's like Lebron can do what Bird does or damn close AND can break a D better down better than Bird.

Greg Oden 50
10-10-2013, 08:42 PM

NONE AS GD AS BIRD

Greg Oden 50
10-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Heat vs. Raptors: LeBron James highlights - 30 points (2.3.13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jb0-EQ1JUE

2:09 1 handed missle to Norris Cole:biggums:

1:33 1 handed underhand quick scoop pass to Bosh

1:23 the angle on that 2 handed bounce pass to the cutting Wade:eek:

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO MAGIC BIRD

Hoopz2332
10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Lebron in the Pistons/Heat preseason game the other day dropping dymes:biggums:

Chris Bosh Full Highlights NBA PS 2013.10.10 at Pistons - 28 Pts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsofTMLA2Lg

: 06 look away 1 handed flinger

:14 2 handed bounce for the trailing Bosh

:41 behind the back bounce pass

1:50 left handed bullet to Bosh off the dribble

pauk
10-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Lebron in the Pistons/Heat preseason game the other day dropping dymes:biggums:

Chris Bosh Full Highlights NBA PS 2013.10.10 at Pistons - 28 Pts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsofTMLA2Lg

: 06 look away 1 handed flinger

:14 2 handed bounce for the trailing Bosh

:41 behind the back bounce pass

1:50 left handed bullet to Bosh off the dribble

lol that first pass was... nice...

LeBird
10-14-2013, 02:26 AM
With these two u are talking the two greatest SF's passers of all time. U could go either way. But u can't deny the FACT that Lebron has PG handle and pace to his game. He can break down a defense better than Bird off the dribble AND can run the fast break better. I feel Bird has as good of passing vision as anybody. But PG's like Magic, Stockton, Isiah, CP3, Nash or SF's like Lebron can do what Bird does or damn close AND can break a D better down better than Bird.

And yet despite the fact that Bird, unlike Lebron, wasn't a de-facto PG he still put up comparable assist numbers.

Asukal
10-14-2013, 03:06 AM
And yet despite the fact that Bird, unlike Lebron, wasn't a de-facto PG he still put up comparable assist numbers.

What these Lebron stans fail to realize is that Bird didn't dominate the ball yet averaged the same apg as Lebron who routinely plays PG. :rolleyes:

bizil
10-14-2013, 03:35 AM

For starters, I concede that Bird's and Bron's vision are equal. I feel they are right at the top of non-PG's passers EVER! But LOOK AT WHO BIRD WAS PASSING TO IN HIS CAREER! I can counter your argument with that! Bird was passing to Mchale, Parish, Ainge, DJ, Walton, etc. Bird played on some of the most STACKED TEAMS OF ALL TIME! Lebron HASN'T had the luxury in his career. Bird was a point forward who u can still run an offense through. For me it's not about assists numbers with Bird and Bron anyway. Because I feel their vision is equal. THE POINT COMES DOWN TO A MATTER OF TASTE! I feel Bron has PG handle, pace, and can run a better fast break. Bron is arguably the best slasher and most athletic player of all time. With sick passing skills. I feel this makes Bron THE MORE VERSATILE PASSER OVER BIRD!

These are the reasons that your argument is a mute point buddy! Bird touched the ball plenty of times on Boston. Wanna know why! Because Bird was ALWAYS THE BEST PASSER ON HIS TEAMS! But the difference is Bird was an awesome stationary passer and SUDDEN PASSER! Bron can do that AND BREAK DOWN A DEFENSE WITH HANDLES AS GOOD AS ANYBODY. But Bird was gonna touch the rock PLENTY OF TIMES ANYWAY BECAUSE OF HIS SKILLS! So he was gonna MAKE THE RIGHT BASKETBALL PLAY ANYWAY! Hell Wilt led the league in assists one year. So assist numbers are very important. But typically, guys with great handles and pace in their games can hurt with the pass more ways than guys like Wilt and Bird. Who aren't suited to be point guards. Even though Bird has a good a vision as anybody. U HAVE TO FACTOR ABILITY TO BREAK DOWN DEFENSES AND RUN FAST BREAKS WHEN IT COMES TO PASSING!

When it comes to guys who have equal vision, it comes down to a matter of taste. For me, Bron puts MORE PRESSURE on the defense with his passing than Bird. It's similar to Magic over Bird in terms of passing. There's a reason why MOST OF THE GREAT PASSERS OF ALL TIME ARE PG's (Magic, Cousy, Big O, Isiah, Nash, Stockton, CP3, Rondo, Tiny, Mark Jackson). Or guys capable of playing PG (Bron, Pippen, MJ). Bird is the exception to the rule I admit and is one of the truly great passers of all time though.

no pun intended
10-14-2013, 03:50 AM
What these Lebron stans fail to realize is that Bird didn't dominate the ball yet averaged the same apg as Lebron who routinely plays PG. :rolleyes:
Them touch passes :bowdown:

plowking
10-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Its funny. I'm going to guess, and be quite generous in saying that maybe 10% has gone out of their way to watch a whole Larry Bird game, or was around at the time to watch his games, yet nearly everyone on the board can give us an expert analysis on how he was a better passer than Lebron.

lol...

Hoopz2332
10-14-2013, 03:57 AM

most likely a combo of playing with better finishers (lebron missed a ton of assist on the Cavs because of the inability of people being able to finish around the basket outside of verajao) and a faster/more wide open pace.

bizil
10-14-2013, 04:02 AM

But YET Bird touched the ball plenty of times though. Because he's was the BEST SF of all time. And everybody knew he was an epic passer. Which means he still played as a point forward caliber player. So he had plenty of opportunities to drop dimes. The main difference is Bird did most of his damage from a stationary position or a sudden pass. U can't fault Lebron because he has PG handles, is a freakish athlete, and as epic vision. It's a matter of taste because both had equal vision. U might prefer Bird to be your SF because he's a great shooter and passer in one. Which makes for epic floor spacing and execution. I might prefer Bron cause he's more versatile and CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE PG POSITION FLAT OUT! Bird had the ball enough in his hands to drop six dimes a game. U gotta touch the ball alot from the SF-PF position to amass those kind of numbers. Don't make it seem like Bird didn't have that damn rock in his hands plenty of times. And once again, Bird ALSO had more HOF type guys to pass to than Lebron. Line up the rosters Bird played with compared to Bron's teams. I can counter your Bron dominance with the ball argument with that.

bizil
10-14-2013, 04:06 AM
most likely a combo of playing with better finishers (lebron missed a ton of assist on the Cavs because of the inability of people being able to finish around the basket outside of verajao) and a faster/more wide open pace.

Right on the money! Bird played with McHale, Chief, Walton, Ainge, DJ, Tiny. U got five HOFers and an underrated All-Star. Bird had more talent to pass to than Bron typically. Once Bron got around HOF type guys like Wade and Bosh, u see that he's getting the rings like Bird used to.

SHAQisGOAT
10-14-2013, 08:47 AM
For the people talking about Bird playing with more talent around, just 3 things:

-You've mentioned McHale (who did most of his work in the post "by himself" though, and only started to play over 30 mpg in 1984), Parish (said once that at least 5000 of his points should be "credited" to Bird), Walton (only played for one season with the Celtics and although good was not remotely close to the same), Tiny (after a ruptured achilles and a torn one, old, as a shell with the Celtics), DJ (past his peak, last 3/4 prime years with the Celtics), Ainge (3 prime years with the Celtics)... In 1986 when McHale was injured, Bird put up like 6 triple-doubles in a month, for example. And with this I'm not denying that Bird played with better players at the start of their careers (although, don't forget, Bird improved the Celtics by 32 wins with the same roster, no Parish or McHale yet, 80s had more stacked teams to go against, and he made a lot of players what they were lets say, turning some into HoF'ers).
Well, the majority of those guys there worked inside, or, say, the guys that were scoring the most. Bird had to pass to more crowded areas to get them easy buckets, also considering that, on the regular, the paint and near areas were more crowded back then.

-Lets forget to mention that Lebron played with way more/better 3pt shooters, across his career, than Bird, players like Mo Williams, Ray-Ray, Boobie Gibson, Battier, Szczerbiak, Mike Miller, Damon Jones, Chalmers..... Those guys help to space the floor and clear more the inside and surroundings making it easy to find the open man there, and they are pretty much always waiting behind the line, also making it easy to drive-and-dish, especially for a player like Lebron who demands double teams and can/is willing to pass.
At his best, the only legit 3pt threat Bird had around was Ainge, and that's for like 3 years.
Current "rules" also help with some of the above.
And Lebron is pretty much always his team's PG, Bird was getting pretty much the same number of assists without being the main ball-handler and with lower USG%. And you want to mention pace (like 10% higher only though), point is null: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA

-Why didn't Lebron's passing numbers went up after he joined Wade, Bosh and so on? In fact, they weren't as high as in his Cleveland days.

Hoopz2332
10-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Lberon off the dribble pass

LeBron dish for Melo Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SyjG2buzFs

:coleman:

bizil
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
For the people talking about Bird playing with more talent around, just 3 things:

-You've mentioned McHale (who did most of his work in the post "by himself" though, and only started to play over 30 mpg in 1984), Parish (said once that at least 5000 of his points should be "credited" to Bird), Walton (only played for one season with the Celtics and although good was not remotely close to the same), Tiny (after a ruptured achilles and a torn one, old, as a shell with the Celtics), DJ (past his peak, last 3/4 prime years with the Celtics), Ainge (3 prime years with the Celtics)... In 1986 when McHale was injured, Bird put up like 6 triple-doubles in a month, for example. And with this I'm not denying that Bird played with better players at the start of their careers (although, don't forget, Bird improved the Celtics by 32 wins with the same roster, no Parish or McHale yet, 80s had more stacked teams to go against, and he made a lot of players what they were lets say, turning some into HoF'ers).
Well, the majority of those guys there worked inside, or, say, the guys that were scoring the most. Bird had to pass to more crowded areas to get them easy buckets, also considering that, on the regular, the paint and near areas were more crowded back then.

-Lets forget to mention that Lebron played with way more/better 3pt shooters, across his career, than Bird, players like Mo Williams, Ray-Ray, Boobie Gibson, Battier, Szczerbiak, Mike Miller, Damon Jones, Chalmers..... Those guys help to space the floor and clear more the inside and surroundings making it easy to find the open man there, and they are pretty much always waiting behind the line, also making it easy to drive-and-dish, especially for a player like Lebron who demands double teams and can/is willing to pass.
At his best, the only legit 3pt threat Bird had around was Ainge, and that's for like 3 years.
Current "rules" also help with some of the above.
And Lebron is pretty much always his team's PG, Bird was getting pretty much the same number of assists without being the main ball-handler and with lower USG%. And you want to mention pace (like 10% higher only though), point is null: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA

-Why didn't Lebron's passing numbers went up after he joined Wade, Bosh and so on? In fact, they weren't as high as in his Cleveland days.

U make good points. But Bird STILL TOUCHED THE ROCK ENOUGH FOR A SF-PF to average all of those assists. Bird was still the best passer on his team most of the time. Other than the years he played with Tiny possibly. So as I've stated in this post, its a matter of taste. I don't wanna hear that Lebron dominated the ball because he played PG or de facto PG. Bird was so great at passing he was considered a point forward. So it's a matter of taste. Bird touched the ball plenty enough to dominate a game passing. Just like Lebron. They just did it in a different fashion.

And IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE with Bird playing with those great HOFers. Teams couldn't just load up on Bird WITHOUT PAYING THE PRICE! When u loaded up on Bron all those years, who did Bron have other than Bosh and Wade? Sure Bron had shooters. But guys like Parish, McHale, and Walton played closer to the hoop. Which means MORE HIGHER PERCENTAGE OPPORTUNITIES!! And Bron could make those Bird type of passes too into tight areas. But could Bird dominate OFF THE DRIBBLE the way Bron does. HELL NO!! It's a matter of taste once again because their vision is equal in my book. For me, give me the more versatile passer in Lebron. But I'm not gonna argue too hard if one thinks Bird. But DON'T give me that Lebron plays like a PG so he dominates the ball shit! Bird touched the ball plenty of times as well to do the damage he did. If the vision is equal, it's PERFECTLY LOGICAL for me to prefer Bron becasue he's a MORE VERSATILE PASSER! It's not simply about Bron dominating the ball. It COMES DOWN TO LEBRON'S PASSING SKILLSET!!!

Hoopz2332
10-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Yall see that sick nolooker Lebron hit Birdman with towards the end of the 2nd qtr tonight vs the Bulls?:eek: Birdman got fouled on the play so no assist:coleman:

plowking
10-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Yall see that sick nolooker Lebron hit Birdman with towards the end of the 2nd qtr tonight vs the Bulls?:eek: Birdman got fouled on the play so no assist:coleman:

Very nice. Birdman lost the ball or got fouled. I couldn't see well enough, but it was a sick pass. He had a few really nice passes last night.

Hoopz2332
10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
His more "basic" pass to Birdman fooled the hell out of Butler:oldlol: Butler thought that pass was going to Ray Allen for the 3.

LeBron's SPECTACULAR No-Look Feed to Birdman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTBy3Mg1ws4

jlip
10-30-2013, 08:49 AM
His more "basic" pass to Birdman fooled the hell out of Butler:oldlol: Butler thought that pass was going to Ray Allen for the 3.

LeBron's SPECTACULAR No-Look Feed to Birdman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTBy3Mg1ws4

I actually thought his bounce pass to Wade through traffic in the first half was better.

Hoopz2332
10-30-2013, 03:31 PM
I actually thought his bounce pass to Wade through traffic in the first half was better.

agreed

..I ran across this gem with lebron and Iverson

LeBron James: Allen Iverson is 'true warrior' *AI & LBJ Connections in NBA All Star 2005 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOqXWnEYYWI

@ :11 sec in lebron does a back handed bounce pass:biggums:

Hoopz2332
11-24-2013, 09:44 AM
http://s7.postimg.org/ga90t4hzd/lebron_passing.gif

Hoopz2332
12-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Lebron doing basic passes last night:coleman:

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/131220-jamespass.gif

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/131220-jamespass2.gif

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/131220-jamespass3.gif

Hoopz2332
10-01-2014, 11:35 AM
LBJ on his basic dyme drops

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/835579408.gif

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lebronpass.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/5w9YUwcMoo2xW/giphy.gif

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/lebronpasswow_1.gif

http://oi43.tinypic.com/if7fk3.jpg

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/LeBron-James-Behind-the-Back-Pass-to-Ray-Allen-Lay-Up.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2746069/lepass3.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1195170/bronpass.gif

Hoopz2332
10-01-2014, 01:41 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3930559/lepasstobattier.gif

iTare
10-01-2014, 04:48 PM
**** LeShit, that's the only overrated piece of shitty ass player I hate.. Why?

1. After a huge loss against the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference Final, he didn't shake hands to the winning team and bitch out like a crybaby and yet fans still call him "King James?" More like Queen James.

2. A sophomore college kid dunk over LeShit James, and nike confiscated a ****ing tape of LeShit getting dunk over by a Xavier college boy.

3. No kids should look up to LeShit as a role model.

G0ATbe
10-01-2014, 04:54 PM

1. After a huge loss against the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference Final, he didn't shake hands to the winning team and bitch out like a crybaby and yet fans still call him "King James?" More like Queen James.

2. A sophomore college kid dunk over LeShit James, and nike confiscated a ****ing tape of LeShit getting dunk over by a Xavier college boy.

Well said:applause: .

Trollsmasher
10-01-2014, 05:28 PM

What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I

Hoopz2332
10-01-2014, 06:17 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4157155/lepasss.gif

:lebronamazed:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-01-2014, 06:24 PM
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ****ing dead, kiddo.

Outrageous post (from reddit?) I could just imagine the scrawny, pencil-necked virgin getting his rocks off as he posted this. :oldlol:

pauk
10-01-2014, 07:13 PM
They are easily the best non-PG passers ever, in terms of piling up assists or simply raw passing skills/vision...... then you can debate all you want...

In the department raw passing skills & vision both of them are right up there as one of the 10 best i ever seen in that department imo.

That list for me goes something like: (no order, but if there was, Magic sure would start 1st)

Kidd
Stockton (not flashy, but was a fundamental sniper with his dimes)
Nash
Magic
Maravich
Bird
Lebron
J-Will
.....then i dont know, Isiah? Cp3?

There is a difference between "Top Passer" & "Top Assist man"....

Leading the league in assists isnt necessarily a guy with the best passing skills/vision, but a guy with good/great passing/vision who just so happens to be a 24-7 pass-first player starting PG playing 40 mpg with a correct system & supporting cast.... the guy who has the best passing skills/vision is the guy who is portraying the most creative/most difficult passes with success & in big magnitude.... you dont have to lead the league in assists to do that and neither do you have to play PG.....

Its like Shaq leading the league PPG.... he is the best scorer technically.... but does he have the best scoring arsenal? Thats what raw passing skills is when compared to assists..... to many like to think assists = result of passing skills....

Thats wrong, for example i think today (with Nash deteriorating) Lebron easily possess the best passing skills/vision in the league.... Rubio, Ginobili, Cp3, Rondo, Deron etc. follow..... come on, you ever seen CP3 do just any of those crazy passes Lebron makes? CP3 does by majority just lobs & pick-n-roll/paint dropoffs, simple, fundamental..... thats great, he gets alot of assists, but he is no circus passer exactly.... I think Lebron, Ricky Rubio & Ginobili portray the best creativity & difficulty in that department today....

RedBlackAttack
10-01-2014, 07:44 PM

I'm warning you now to stop spamming the board with this same post. I've seen it in multiple threads. We get the idea. Thanks.

DatAsh
10-01-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't know anyone old enough to have seen Bird play that thinks Lebron is the better passer. It's not really something you can really get from watching old footage or highlights, as both guys are good enough passers to basically be capable of anything. There isn't any one pass either guy could make that the other was incapable of, but it's the frequency that sets them apart in my mind.

Best 2 passing SFs I've ever seen, but I've gotta give Bird the nod.

As others have said, Lebron is the better point guard.

bizil
10-01-2014, 10:02 PM
In terms of a stationary position or off one dribble in the half court, Bird is AS GOOD OF A PASSER as anybody! The difference between Bird and Bron is the fact that Bron has PG type pace and handles in his game. U can't go wrong either way. I do think on both sides of the floor, that Bron is the most versatile player ever. And from a fundamental-techincal level on offense, Bird is the best player of all time. What's makes Lebron unique is that we get to see what players such as Magic and even Bird to an extent would look like with freak athletic ability. Those three have a size and versatility that the other perimeter players can't match. They are the bridge between perimeter players and the power positions.

Paul George 24
10-01-2014, 10:02 PM
I remember a thread on here comparing the passing skills between the two with many arguing that Bird made passes that lebron couldn't do. I ran across this video

Can LeBron make the same kind of passes as Larry Bird?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3EWmeFrSNM

The above is indisputable evidence that Larry Bird is a superior passer to LeBron James. Watch all these passes Larry Bird pulls off that LeBron could never dream of duplicating. This video is simply the nail in the coffin.

This actually a troll video (notice the Ether beat? lol ) answering those who think along those lines

impossible :no:

Paul George 24
10-01-2014, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Trollsmasher]What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I

moe94
10-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Outrageous post (from reddit?) I could just imagine the scrawny, pencil-necked virgin getting his rocks off as he posted this. :oldlol:
That's probably the most infamous copypasta of all time

c5terror
10-02-2014, 12:03 AM

LOL lebron wasn't an elite passer, he just pass more most were bail out pass.

MJ light-years better passer than lebron ever was.

19min video: collection of jordan assist, finding open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiTOXUmsdoM